PDA

View Full Version : Best & Worst Cricket commentator

manuel
24th July 2006, 12:07 AM
There has been a sea change in cricket commentaries over the years . Gone are the days when people like Anupam Gulati and Norottam Puri use to commentate on Television but they were switch over from Radio commentary and therefore it reflected on the quality of their commentating.

With so many differrent sports channel coming in to existense over recent years the competetiveness over the quality of telecast has increased which has also resulted in channels demanding a good experts panel in their respective commentary boxes. Further this has also provided an opportunity of an alternate career for cricketers after retirement.

Ex cricket commentators like -
Sunil Gavaskar, Ravi shastri, Ian chappel, Ian Bishop, MIchael Holding, Geofrey Boycott, Sanjay Manjrekar, Tony Greig, Naseer Husain, Rameez Raja, Navjot Singh Sidhu, Angus Frazer, Ian Botham ........... and there might be others as well

The Question is out of all the commentators who is the best and worst commentators and the reason for it.

nilavupriyan
25th July 2006, 09:15 AM
best-ian chappel(man..who can forget the sharjah match) and geff boycott

worst-sidhu..he use to drag his sentence..not crispy as ian chappel or geffry boycott

manuel
27th July 2006, 10:10 AM
agree with you on one - Sidhu is the worst .. talks evry thing else other than the cricket nitty-gritties

i think shastri is a better commentator he come with constructive criticism and also seems to have good sense of humour

VENKIRAJA
27th July 2006, 10:14 PM
YEAH,SIDHU BLINKS LIIIIKE AN OWWWWWL.(SIDHU STYLE)
UNLIKE RAEVI SHAESTRI(GEFF B'COTT)

WHAT ABT UMPIRES?

Ramakrishna
10th August 2008, 07:22 PM
Arun Lal is the best :2thumbsup:

villan007
10th August 2008, 08:03 PM
Best- Richie Benaud, Tony Grieg, Geoff Boycott :clap:

Worst- Arunlal, Waqar younis, Ranjit fernando :banghead:

Ramakrishna
10th August 2008, 08:17 PM

enna kodumale ithu :twisted:

P_R
10th August 2008, 08:59 PM
Rameez Raja. :x orE uLaral.

He is funny without intending to be.

Once he wanted to say someone is nimble as a mountain goat" to describe some fielder but he ended up saying "nimble as a mountain rose". Tony Greig quickly remarked "you must be having some interesting roses in Pakistan"
:lol:

Ramakrishna
10th August 2008, 09:07 PM

Wibha
10th August 2008, 10:22 PM
Best to me- Harsha,Tony, GEff Boycott :clap:

Worse- Rameez raja :x :x :x :curse: i just hate him so much :x

karthik_sa2
11th August 2008, 12:00 AM
best--richie benaud, ravi shastri,sivaramakrishnan, tony greig, holding....

worst-gavaskar<is he still saying 6.thirty three, 2.forty one :lol: >
rameez, ranjit fernando, arunlal

karthik_sa2
11th August 2008, 12:01 AM
Once he wanted to say someone is nimble as a mountain goat" to describe some fielder but he ended up saying "nimble as a mountain rose". Tony Greig quickly remarked "you must be having some interesting roses in Pakistan"

:lol: tony has always been the most entertaining and energetic commentator

Wibha
11th August 2008, 12:15 AM
ooh and another worst commentator is-charu Sharma :x :x :x :argh:

littlemaster1982
11th August 2008, 12:37 AM
Charu Sharma is just an anchor. I've never seen him in *commentary* panel :roll:

Wibha
11th August 2008, 12:39 AM
Charu Sharma is just an anchor. I've never seen him in *commentary* panel :roll:

He has like once or twice during some match. Don't know which one but one thing I know is that he's really annoying and gets on my nerves.

Nerd
11th August 2008, 07:08 AM

:shock: :shock: :shock: You must be kidding. Yes you definitely are.

Bestest :P - Richie Benaud
Best:
Geoff Boycott
Michael Holding (Little stuff, just his accent)
Ian chappel
Ravi Shastri
Tony Greig (No stuff, just the energy)
David Lloyd (Little stuff, accent and the energy)
David Gower
Ian Botham
Bill Lawry (Little stuff)

Worst:
Arun LOL
Sivaramakrichnan
Siddhu
Gavaskar
Harsha (No brickbats please)
Rameez (I can tolerate him)
Ranjit Fernando
Sanjay Manjrekar
Kapil Dev
Saninder singh
Mark Taylor
Ian Healy

Arun LOL's comedies:
1. Its going to be touch and go, (Fielder stops it). Its touch.
2. In Hindi, woh chhoti si gendh tha (Meaning *short ball*)
3. Pitch report. Enough said

directhit
11th August 2008, 07:46 AM
My Favorites - Rameez Raja/Arun LOL/Aamir Sohail/Sivaramakrishnan/Ranjit Fernando :cool2: :cool2:

Wibha
11th August 2008, 07:48 AM
My Favorites - Rameez Raja/Arun LOL/Aamir Sohail/Sivaramakrishnan/Ranjit Fernando :cool2: :cool2:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: are u kidding me? :?

karthik_sa2
11th August 2008, 12:57 PM
You must be kidding. Yes you definitely are

avaru enga school pa adhaan...anywayys i don think so his commentary is that bad..but certainly he cannot be along the league of commentators i have mentioned above..

on ur list i like botham very much both as a crickter and commentator

wrap07
11th August 2008, 02:28 PM

8-) :D worst+ rameez, ever irritating

wrap07
11th August 2008, 02:29 PM

:lol: you mean otherwise

CEDYBLUE
11th August 2008, 02:55 PM
worst: Ramiz Raja by miles!

his intended 'humor' is embarrasing to say the least and his 'indepth' knowledge of the game is stunning!

Arul Lal is a close second and would have been the first if Ramiz was not a pakistani....one of the most boring voices to pick the megaphone ever....!!!

Best: Richie Bernaud, Ravi Shasthri, Tony Greig, David Lloyd, Nassar Hussain d Harsha

raaja_rasigan
11th August 2008, 03:03 PM
How about Michael Atherton as a commentator?

crajkumar_be
11th August 2008, 03:52 PM
You must be kidding. Yes you definitely are

avaru enga school pa adhaan...anywayys i don think so his commentary is that bad..but certainly he cannot be along the league of commentators i have mentioned above..

L.S's commentary is nothing but a random search for popular phrases from other eminent commentators and spewing the results off with little or no customization, with increased excitement for anything related to Chennai.

How could anyone stomach L.S doing a Bill Lawry with "Dear Oh Dear!" :banghead:
thayir sAdhathukku thottukka silli beef mAdhiri irukkum :shaking:

crajkumar_be
11th August 2008, 04:01 PM
Best: Richie Benaud, Ian Chappel

Best entertainer: Bill Lawry :notworthy:
Best pieces of commentary ever heard, thanks to Lawry Sir:
- Saravana Bevan's last over finish @ SCG against W.I (forgot the year)
- Oz vs S.A world cup 1999 semifinal, final overs

Mark Nicholas - Decent

Sheer fun with accent: Mark Taylor

Tony Greig - Was entertaining once but tends to bore nowadays
Senile Gavaskar - Oscillates between "decent" and "outrageous"
Ravi Shastri - Generally good but suffers from the cliche syndrome and general silliness from time to time
Rameez Raja - Nothing great but doesnt irritate very much except when he says "pish", "pished" for pitch/pitched
Harsha - Generally decent but sometimes talks too much. [Boycott once said on air "You've got talking disease" :lol: ]

Generally harmless chaps: Michael Holding, Ian Bishop, Mike Haysman (remember his comment for Sachin coming down the track and belting one on the up through extra-cover in S.A "That is the best shot i've ever seen")

The Bores: "Star Trek" David Lloyd, Bob Willis - thAlAttu kEkkudhammA

God Forbid: Arun LOL, L.S, Kris Srikkanth, Aamir Sohail, Ranjit Fernando, Kapil Dev, Maninder Singh, Mohinder Amarnath, Sidhu

equanimus
11th August 2008, 04:22 PM
:rotfl:

Raghu
12th August 2008, 05:19 PM
I think richie is the best, but nasser is also good,

Kalyasi
12th August 2008, 10:42 PM
Best: Richie Benaud, Ian Chappel

Best entertainer: Bill Lawry :notworthy:
Best pieces of commentary ever heard, thanks to Lawry Sir:
- Oz vs S.A world cup 1999 semifinal, final overs

Mark Nicholas - Decent

Sheer fun with accent: Mark Taylor

Tony Greig - Was entertaining once but tends to bore nowadays
Senile Gavaskar - Oscillates between "decent" and "outrageous"
Ravi Shastri - Generally good but suffers from the cliche syndrome and general silliness from time to time
Rameez Raja - Nothing great but doesnt irritate very much except when he says "pish", "pished" for pitch/pitched
Harsha - Generally decent but sometimes talks too much. [Boycott once said on air "You've got talking disease" :lol: ]

Generally harmless chaps: Michael Holding, Ian Bishop, Mike Haysman (remember his comment for Sachin coming down the track and belting one on the up through extra-cover in S.A "That is the best shot i've ever seen")

God Forbid: Arun LOL, L.S, Kris Srikkanth, Aamir Sohail, Ranjit Fernando, Kapil Dev, Maninder Singh, Mohinder Amarnath, Sidhu

absolutely true and similar to that of my views..Bill Lawry is more entertaining than Tony Greig... But I have soft corner for Tony coz he was full of energy during the sharjah series in 1998 against the OZs... Who could forget."Oh he has hit that for six..no its in the air and the fielder has taken it..oh no he dropped it and its rolled over for a boundary... damien martyn has dropped the catch.... :rotfl: :rotfl: Mike Haysman is the only hope when india go to SA... others all are trash!! Patty is decent....

Saravana Bevan last ball 4 was during 1995-1996 Benson & Hedges World Series where aus had to chase a score of 173 and managed to do it in the last ball of the 43rd over I guess(rain interrupted match)... Still P.Reiffel was given MOM for his bowling performance
:banghead: :banghead:

Kalyasi
12th August 2008, 10:48 PM

He has like once or twice during some match. Don't know which one but one thing I know is that he's really annoying and gets on my nerves.

Yes he was a commentator in 1996-1997 Standard Bank International Series and also in the test series that happened in SA... Cudn't forget the comment for a pull shot by sachin "pulled that aahh he connected well :banghead: :banghead:" he and mohinder amarnath spoiled that series.... the only savior was Geoff Boycott!!

He was also a part of star sports commentary team for a few years .... when ESPN and Star sports merged Harsha took over Charu and John Dykes!!

Amarshiva
12th August 2008, 10:51 PM
Amen to Nerd's list..

:shock: :shock: :shock: You must be kidding. Yes you definitely are.

Best:
Geoff Boycott
Ian chappel
Ravi Shastri
David Gower
Ian Botham

Worst:
Arun LOL
Sivaramakrichnan
Siddhu
Gavaskar
Ranjit Fernando
Sanjay Manjrekar
Kapil Dev
Saninder singh
Mark Taylor
Ian Healy

Arun LOL's comedies:

ajithfederer
12th August 2008, 10:53 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:
Please kickstart your blog again. I for one am an fan of your sarcastic writing :notworthy:

Kalyasi
12th August 2008, 11:00 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Nostalgia.... Infact my elder bro used to call bevan by the same nick name... and he had one for each of the players which is similar to Bala anna's list...

He used to call me Brian Bullicharan when I take the field :ashamed: (My per name is Bullu @ home)

P_R
13th August 2008, 08:35 AM
- Saravana Bevan's last over finish @ SCG against W.I (forgot the year) :lol:

Here is a Ramiz Raja goof-up I heard (second hand). Batsman gets hit in the box and is in pain a-la kaipulla post "mallAkka paduththu vittaththa paakkura..." scene.

Ramiz: "The pain is momentary. I can tell you... from personal experience. It's very painful at first, and then it evaporates."

:lol: Even ignoring the dappuL-meaning, it is ridiculously funny.
And he goes on to hold court about evaporation for the next few minutes with killers like

Ramiz: "Just about, you're left with a swelling. That doesn't evaporate. Yes... all that's left is a big swelling. I wonder if he wants the swelling there."

How do you politely say "dha chi gamnu iru" ?

littlemaster1982
13th August 2008, 08:56 AM
- Saravana Bevan's last over finish @ SCG against W.I (forgot the year) :lol:

Here is a Ramiz Raja goof-up I heard (second hand). Batsman gets hit in the box and is in pain a-la kaipulla post "mallAkka paduththu vittaththa paakkura..." scene.

Ramiz: "The pain is momentary. I can tell you... from personal experience. It's very painful at first, and then it evaporates."

:lol: Even ignoring the dappuL-meaning, it is ridiculously funny.
And he goes on to hold court about evaporation for the next few minutes with killers like

Ramiz: "Just about, you're left with a swelling. That doesn't evaporate. Yes... all that's left is a big swelling. I wonder if he wants the swelling there."

The last line of the post is incredibly funny :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

MADDY
13th August 2008, 06:47 PM
Best:
Geoff Boycott
Ian chappel
Ravi Shastri
David Gower
Ian Botham

Worst:
Arun LOL
Sivaramakrichnan
Siddhu
Gavaskar
Ranjit Fernando
Sanjay Manjrekar
Kapil Dev
Saninder singh
Mark Taylor
Ian Healy

Arun LOL's comedies:

after a long time, we seem to agree on something 8-) .......bestest for me too is Richie Benaud 8-) .......david gower's English is such a delight to hear 8-) .........i would love to include Mike Atherton as well here....... 8-) ....Ian botham, ravi shastri, geoff boycott, tony greig are toppers for me too........

..but i cant agree that Gavaskar and Harsha are bad.....they give some very different perspectives on game most times........

btw, does anyone remember Henry Blofeld who used to commentate in sharjah tournaments.......his cricket knowledge was very little but used to describe ladies ear-rings very well :lol:

karthik_sa2
13th August 2008, 07:17 PM

Even ignoring the dappuL-meaning, it is ridiculously funny.

:rotfl2:

Vivasaayi
13th August 2008, 07:26 PM
tony greig

:D

karthik_sa2
13th August 2008, 07:27 PM
but i cant agree that Gavaskar and Harsha are bad.....they give some very different perspectives on game most times........

both sunny and harsha show-up their emotions when india loses or wins....ravi shastri is the only indian comentator who is neutral atleast to a certain extent...

a good commentator shd not be biased .he can be patriotic...but that shdn show up

Nerd
13th August 2008, 09:39 PM
Maddy, welcome back
I feel harsha is over enthusiastic, over emotional and very talkative.. He overdoes everything. Sunny, well he stutters, always searching for the right word-but cones up with something ordinary. They are not in the league of arun LOL, ranjit but they are bad, IMHO

MADDY
13th August 2008, 09:46 PM
Sunny, well he stutters, always searching for the right word-but cones up with something ordinary

thats a typical trait of most maharashtrians :lol: :oops: ....sorry if that was a racist statement.........u will always end up with a "idhukku dhaana ivalavu mukkuna" look on ur face when u talk in english with them :lol: ......i like some of his views/comments on the game - 1 bouncer per over allowed :notworthy: is a great suggestion......

ajithfederer
13th August 2008, 11:33 PM
Maddy

Gavaskar for his extreme pro India stance was asked to choose between an ICC Post or being a Sports Commentator.

sriranga
13th August 2008, 11:36 PM
i like robin jackman - especially the way he goes "beautiful, beautiful, beautiful stroke"

TEknikally - Ian, Barry and Sunny

Comedy (in english) - Lal

Comedy (in hindi) - Maninder singh

Comedy (in english/tamil) - this guy what do you call hmm Krish Srikanth

P.S. if we classify sunny as patriot, most of the australians (mark taylor, ian healy, mark nicholas) will be on the list too.

crajkumar_be
13th August 2008, 11:59 PM
Mark Nicholas is an Englishman

crajkumar_be
14th August 2008, 12:00 AM
Who could forget."Oh he has hit that for six..no its in the air and the fielder has taken it..oh no he dropped it and its rolled over for a boundary... damien martyn has dropped the catch.... :rotfl: :rotfl:

:exactly:

Saravana Bevan last ball 4 was during 1995-1996 Benson & Hedges World Series where aus had to chase a score of 173 and managed to do it in the last ball of the 43rd over I guess(rain interrupted match)... Still P.Reiffel was given MOM for his bowling performance
:banghead: :banghead:
"scoru kooda nenavirukka Ram" :razz:

crajkumar_be
14th August 2008, 12:01 AM

karthik_sa2
14th August 2008, 12:18 AM
P.S. if we classify sunny as patriot, most of the australians (mark taylor, ian healy, mark nicholas) will be on the list too.

thats y benaud is so special

ajithfederer
14th August 2008, 12:22 AM
Everybody is a patriot but commentary is not a place where you should be showing it and if you do so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

karthik_sa2
14th August 2008, 12:43 AM
Everybody is a patriot but commentary is not a place where you should be showing it and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

:exactly:

Movie Cop
14th August 2008, 07:25 AM
..but i cant agree that Gavaskar and Harsha are bad.....they give some very different perspectives on game most times........

btw, does anyone remember Henry Blofeld who used to commentate in sharjah tournaments.......his cricket knowledge was very little but used to describe ladies ear-rings very well :lol:
Henry Blofeld is the "show man" commentator! A role model for the likes of Tony Greg! :lol: He used to be a sponsors delight coz he could give his commentary on almost anything/everything along with a "bit" of cricket too! :lol:
Henry Blofeld to BBC is like what Tony Greig is for Channel 9. Not sure why his innings with Televsion was too short? :?

By the by, I agree with your take on Gavaskar. He is a good, entertaining and knowledgable commentator. But the only problem is that he is biased towards India and sometimes can get really emotional when India gets injustice on the field. You could see how good a commentator he is - only when he sits in the commentary box for a neutral match! 8-)

sriranga
14th August 2008, 09:26 AM

irunthutu pogattum.

The point is:

he was part of channel ombathu commentary team that has all the australian greats.
during 2003-2004 indian tour of australia, the way they commented for a tour game ( right after india's glorious victory in adelaide).

one of the pathetic, biased commentary that i have ever heard.
sunny is far better.

MADDY
14th August 2008, 02:53 PM

irunthutu pogattum.

The point is:
he was part of channel ombathu commentary team that has all the australian greats.
during 2003-2004 indian tour of australia, the way they commented for a tour game ( right after india's glorious victory in adelaide).

one of the pathetic, biased commentary that i have ever heard.
sunny is far better.

Mark nicholas was part of mandira bedi's team for set max in 2003 world cup :lol2: ....he made some casual comment on sachin and it created a uproar and he had to apologise the subsequent day.......i think he will always have that gaandu over us :)

btw, i dont understand why commentators shouldnt be patriotic??? :roll: i mean, yes, i like gavaskar as a commentator for India - look at things from Indian perspective

i think everyone has heard ranjit fernando speak, my god, he speaks as if cricket was invented by lankans.....and i have heard imran literally praying for indian wickets to fall in one of the matches :lol: ,.........for me, gavaskar is far more balanced than these people......

karthik_sa2
14th August 2008, 03:24 PM
btw, i dont understand why commentators shouldnt be patriotic??? i mean, yes, i like gavaskar as a commentator for India - look at things from Indian perspective
who said one shouldn be patriotic???all am saying is that shouldn reflect in their commentry...ungaluku ranjit fernando, rameez raja, imran khan commentry kaetka eppadi irruku adhu maadhiri dhaanae gavaskar mathavanguluku irrukum..for indians he is ok jus think how it will be for a srilankan or australian...imo commentator shd be neutral and in that way he his comments,thoughts will be respected or taken seriusly all over the world else ppl might only get irritated..

innum kooda decimal point'ku right side vara numbers'a twent four ,thirty four....nu dhaan solraaru...yaaravadhu sollirka maatangala avaruku...sonnalum avar kaekava poraaru...super attitude

MADDY
14th August 2008, 04:46 PM
btw, i dont understand why commentators shouldnt be patriotic??? i mean, yes, i like gavaskar as a commentator for India - look at things from Indian perspective
who said one shouldn be patriotic???all am saying is that shouldn reflect in their commentry...ungaluku ranjit fernando, rameez raja, imran khan commentry kaetka eppadi irruku adhu maadhiri dhaanae gavaskar mathavanguluku irrukum..for indians he is ok jus think how it will be for a srilankan or australian...imo commentator shd be neutral and in that way he his comments,thoughts will be respected or taken seriusly all over the world else ppl might only get irritated..

ofcourse, they are giving their country's perspectives......i have no problem with that until they make a hash of it :lol: ........there is a difference in the way gavaskar puts it and other put it for their coutnry......i mean, even if u all insist gavaskar=ranjit=rameez=imran - i wouldnt agree :) ...theres difference

crajkumar_be
14th August 2008, 04:49 PM
I didn't include Henry Blofeld in my list because one cannot even consider him as a commentator. Absolute Borefest :evil:

crajkumar_be
14th August 2008, 04:49 PM
One more annoying commentator is Tony Cozier...

MADDY
14th August 2008, 04:53 PM

paavam-nga.......enakku ennamo andha aala paathale paavama irukkum..... :lol: ....is he from westindies? :roll:

blofeld was a bit of comedian - i think he brought in the entertainment factor in commentory...... :)

karthik_sa2
14th August 2008, 04:56 PM
ofcourse, they are giving their country's perspectives......i have no problem with that until they make a hash of it ........there is a difference in the way gavaskar puts it and other put it for their coutnry......i mean, even if u all insist gavaskar=ranjit=rameez=imran - i wouldnt agree ...theres difference

and thats only neglegible... :lol: hey j4fun dont take it serious pls

MADDY
14th August 2008, 05:03 PM
ofcourse, they are giving their country's perspectives......i have no problem with that until they make a hash of it ........there is a difference in the way gavaskar puts it and other put it for their coutnry......i mean, even if u all insist gavaskar=ranjit=rameez=imran - i wouldnt agree ...theres difference

and thats only neglegible... :lol: hey j4fun dont take it serious pls

ofcourse, i dont expect everyone share my respect for Gavaskar :D

P_R
14th August 2008, 05:11 PM
Bala :lol: @ signature

crajkumar_be
14th August 2008, 05:12 PM

paavam-nga.......enakku ennamo andha aala paathale paavama irukkum..... :lol: ....is he from westindies? :roll:

Yeah...
"Wavellll Hindssszzzzssssssss" - whistle adippaan...

MADDY
14th August 2008, 05:16 PM
Yeah...

:lol: :lol: ......

naalaikku namma singam eppadi patta commentator-a varuvaarnnu neenga edhir paakurel :roll:

Ramakrishna
14th August 2008, 05:18 PM
Yeah...

naalaikku namma singam eppadi patta commentator-a varuvaarnnu neenga edhir paakurel :roll:

avaru coach-aa thaane varaporaaru :roll:

MADDY
14th August 2008, 05:27 PM
Yeah...

avaru coach-aa thaane varaporaaru :roll:

hmmm, avaru mudivu pannattum......but i'm sure he would sit for commentary atleast once or twice :)

crajkumar_be
14th August 2008, 05:31 PM
First of all, Annan commentary pannanuma? :roll:

Oru velai Bradman maadhiri reclusive-a poitta nalla irukkumo??

crajkumar_be
14th August 2008, 05:34 PM
Anyone remembers the Pakistani commentator who used to be a regular especially at Sharjah in the 80's early 90s? Can't remember his name..

His trademark was "4 Runs!" (no matter what happens on the field, one can hear him say this very often)

Ramakrishna
14th August 2008, 05:37 PM
First of all, Annan commentary pannanuma? :roll:

Oru velai Bradman maadhiri reclusive-a poitta nalla irukkumo??

appuram cricket-ukku azhivu kaalam :evil:

MADDY
14th August 2008, 06:12 PM
Anyone remembers the Pakistani commentator who used to be a regular especially at Sharjah in the 80's early 90s? Can't remember his name..

His trademark was "4 Runs!" (no matter what happens on the field, one can hear him say this very often)

Asif iqbal?? :roll:

Rama - :lol: ......u can take sachin out of Indian cricket, but u cant take indian cricket out of sachin - so he will surely stay in some way or other :)

crajkumar_be
14th August 2008, 07:00 PM
Asif iqbal?? :roll:

I'm confused between Asif Iqbal and Iftiqar Ahmed or someone...

Movie Cop
15th August 2008, 02:02 AM
btw, i dont understand why commentators shouldnt be patriotic??? :roll: i mean, yes, i like gavaskar as a commentator for India - look at things from Indian perspective

i think everyone has heard ranjit fernando speak, my god, he speaks as if cricket was invented by lankans.....and i have heard imran literally praying for indian wickets to fall in one of the matches :lol: ,.........for me, gavaskar is far more balanced than these people......
For god sake, do not put Sunny & Ransith Bernando on the same pedestal! :rotfl:

I don't have time right now... Remba busy these days! :evil:
When I get time, in a day or two, I will send the You tube link of Ransith Bernando's commentary (with Ian Bishop) on Rahul's Dravid's dismissal during the First Test. :rotfl: I felt sorry for poor Ian Bishop! :(

ajithfederer
13th February 2009, 02:15 AM
waat a thread ya.

MC, Thangal gavanathirku :P

ajithfederer
13th February 2009, 02:23 AM
:rotfl2:

Wibha
13th February 2009, 02:29 AM

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

steveaustin
14th February 2009, 06:46 PM
Best - Tony Greig.

Particularly whenever Jayasurya / Sachin was in full flow, then Tony Greig is simply unbelievable. What a energetic man he is!!!

ajithfederer
20th February 2009, 04:25 AM
Cricket commentator Benaud to retire

1 day ago

SYDNEY (AFP) — Legendary cricket commentator Richie Benaud announced Wednesday he will retire next year, ending nearly half-a-century of broadcasting which made him an icon in the sport.

"I'll be doing Australian cricket next year, 2010, but I don't do any television at all anywhere else now and when I finish next year, then I'll be doing other things," Benaud, 78, told local radio.

"That'll be no more television commentary."

The former Australian captain has worked in the commentary box since retiring from Test cricket in 1964, appearing extensively on Australian and British television.

Famed for his bowl haircut, beige jackets and engaging commentary, Benaud hung up the microphone for British television following the 2005 Ashes.

He received a standing ovation by the crowd at Lord's after completing his final commentary stint there that September.

Benaud has been a broadcaster so long that many are unaware of his achievements as a cricketer.

Benaud was appointed captain of Australia in 1958, and claimed 248 wickets in 63 Tests, while hitting three centuries.

A leg-spinning all-rounder, he was the first man to complete the Test double of 2,000 runs and 200 wickets. He remains one of only 10 Australians to have scored more than 10,000 runs and taken over 500 wickets in first-class cricket.

But he won greatest acclaim for his bold captaincy, leading Australia to Ashes series wins in 1958-59, 1961 and 1962-63 and never losing a series as skipper.

Benaud began his broadcasting career on BBC Radio in 1960 and then moved across to BBC Television three years later. He has been working for Australia's Nine network since 1977.

Unlike the modern breed of commentator -- who step straight from the pitch to the commentary box -- Benaud learnt the ropes with the crime correspondent of a Sydney newspaper.

He became a columnist with the News of the World tabloid, Britain's biggest-selling Sunday newspaper, and worked more than 40 years on the title.

He was also a key advisor to Nine network chief Kerry Packer when he formed his breakaway World Series Cricket organisation in the late 1970s.

"Morning everyone", "don't bother looking for that let alone chasing that" and "it's gone into the confectionery stall and out again" are just some of the phrases which made Benaud a household name for cricket boffins the world over.

Cricket biographer Gideon Haigh said Benaud was "full of baits and traps and he fielded with verve".

"Yet it was his presence, as much as anything, which summoned the best from players: cool but communicative, he impressed as one to whom no event was unexpected, no contingency unplanned for," wrote Haigh.

"The same has applied to his journalism: terse, direct and commonsensical, and his broadcasting: mellow and authoritative.

"A guru to Ian Chappell and Shane Warne among others, he is perhaps the most influential cricketer and cricket personality since the Second World War."
[/tscii:2e4f121a39]

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hn-R7ZyqT6AzHqaE7jBNNwNf5VVg

directhit
20th February 2009, 06:49 AM
Cricket commentator Benaud to retire well, Ian Healy is there to take over

crajkumar_be
20th March 2009, 01:19 PM
Worst thing is they themselvs will be watching the match on TV and commentating.. they wont be PRESENT at the stadium.

It is very funny when a batsman lofts the ball... they will be clueless whether its heading for six or a fielder is under it. It is even more funnier when the cameraman loses the ball and they go blank :rotfl:
:rotfl: :rotfl2:

Vivasaayi
20th March 2009, 04:18 PM
noone can beat ur own hindi commentators...

The match had both english and hindi commentators in tandem for the odi matches in DD

Sachin hits a big six in Christchurch

This guy waits for few seconds and then "che run" in a low monotone..

"edhukkum asaramaateenguriyeeee"

Movie Cop
21st March 2009, 12:18 AM
[tscii:66a76030fc]
Cricket commentator Benaud to retire

1 day ago

SYDNEY (AFP) — Legendary cricket commentator Richie Benaud announced Wednesday he will retire next year, ending nearly half-a-century of broadcasting which made him an icon in the sport.

"I'll be doing Australian cricket next year, 2010, but I don't do any television at all anywhere else now and when I finish next year, then I'll be doing other things," Benaud, 78, told local radio.

"That'll be no more television commentary."

Accidentally, checked this news for the first time :(

It's a sad news for all cricket purists that "Commentator Imayam" Benaud is quitting. From BBC to Channel 9 - Benaud's immense knowledge on even the minutest of details of the game, his sharp analytical skills coupled with a magnificent command over his language and above all a very unbiased, connoisseur view of the game made him a unparalleled commentator.

It's a shame that the likes of Navjot Sidhu, Arun Lal, Ransith Bernando, Rameez Raja etc. are/were doing the same profession as Richie Benaud... :twisted:
[/tscii:66a76030fc]

Plum
7th May 2009, 02:42 PM
Ravi Shastri. I mentioned this before but this is the place to record this.
Batsman hits towards covers; It is straight to the fielder but the camera hasnt yet caught it. So, our man goes "good shot". By then, it is clear that the ball is going to the fielder at comfortable pace; Kishen K is stumped for a moment; Fortuituosly, the fielder slips and misfields. The ball gets through for 2 runs. What does Kishen K do now? He upgrades it to "Very good shot".
So, a good shot becomes very good if the fielder misfields?
What a joker!
(Srikkanth-ai ellam jokernu solluvanga. Enakku ivan dhaan periya joker. The thinking man's jokernu sollalam ivanai :-) )

Plum
7th May 2009, 02:54 PM
And Danny Morrison, I think. After T Suman lifted one over long off for a six, Danny went "Thats a six!". He realised in a second that he had failed to acknowledge the sponsor, thought on his feet, and came with this addendum "thanks to DLF".
Yeah, thank DLF for T Suman hitting a six. They were the ones to sponsor his kit, cricketing education and coaching camps, right?

Nerd
8th May 2009, 12:52 AM
And Danny Morrison, I think. After T Suman lifted one over long off for a six, Danny went "Thats a six!". He realised in a second that he had failed to acknowledge the sponsor, thought on his feet, and came with this addendum "thanks to DLF".
Yeah, thank DLF for T Suman hitting a six. They were the ones to sponsor his kit, cricketing education and coaching camps, right?
Actually I have seen the other commentator helping if the first one forgets the DLF.

Comm1: It's a six
Comm2: A DLF Maximum. Great shot :lol2:

And DLF is being used as a noun/verb/adjective etc.,
* A DLFer
* He has DLFed it over mid-wicket
* Its a DLF six
:rotfl3:

ajithfederer
8th May 2009, 12:56 AM

crajkumar_be
8th May 2009, 01:15 AM
I think it was Danny boy, after Hayden or someone had hit a six, i thought i heard him say "That was over a 100 centimeters" :lol:

Sourav
8th May 2009, 07:49 AM
Actually I have seen the other commentator helping if the first one forgets the DLF.

Comm1: It's a six
Comm2: A DLF Maximum. Great shot :lol2:

And DLF is being used as a noun/verb/adjective etc.,
* A DLFer
* He has DLFed it over mid-wicket
* Its a DLF six
:rotfl3: :rotfl3:

ajithfederer
9th May 2009, 11:51 AM
Is this a joke?>.

Satti thalayan healy-um, Commentator Imayamum in the same pedestal??. Freakkin blasphemy :notworthy:

Cricket commentator Benaud to retire well, Ian Healy is there to take over

19thmay
8th October 2009, 11:09 AM
[tscii:06e4108a82]Talking about Harsha, I was watching the Champions Trophy finals. During NZ innings, Harsha and Ravi are the commentators for the last 6 overs. Harsha was speaking…..speaking ….. and speaking.
Vaangna kaasuku nalla koovuraanda goyyala!! :lol:
Ravi was silent and only said “He is a natural athlete, Brett Lee”. [/tscii:06e4108a82]

P_R
8th October 2009, 11:17 AM
Farveez Maharoof is busy doing nothing."Ever the diplomat, Ramiz Raja, while interviewing Maharoof, doesn't put too fine a point on the fact that he hasn't played a game in the tournament so far

P_R
8th October 2009, 11:18 AM
In the prev page

"How well he has managed to mitigate this innings in the last few overs."Ramiz Raja has fun with the English language

P_R
8th October 2009, 11:20 AM
That link is a Ramiz Raja treasure trove

"It's the other one, just like the other one."This time, even Ramiz Raja doesn't know what he is talking about

P_R
8th October 2009, 11:23 AM
"He has managed to clear the deep long-off"Further proof of how revolutionary the IPL is: Ranjit Fernando invents a new fielding position

"Irfan Pathan... knocked the Citi moment of success over. The building... the building went down."Jeremy Coney produces that rare creature that all commentators strive for - the moment of inspired, total incomprehensibility

"That was a serious shot."Pommie Mbangwa can tell the difference between a lofted drive which means business and other strokes that are just looking for a good time

littlemaster1982
8th October 2009, 12:42 PM
"This over has been full of action. All this action is sponsored by [pause] our sponsors."

Ramiz Raja knows just who is at the bottom of what you see on your screens

I need more emoticons :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Plum
12th October 2009, 07:33 PM
as usual, sastrigaL uLaral (http://www.cricinfo.com/page2/content/site/page2/hearhear.html)

"That's one of his favourite shots - the cut on the off side."Ravi Shastri takes pains to make clear that it is not Andrew Strauss's leg-side cut that he's referring to

Plum
12th October 2009, 07:33 PM
My Fav:

"Nothing unfazes Ricky Ponting"Wasim Akram suspects the Australian captain is a wimp and finds a novel way of saying so
Sep 28, 2009

P_R
12th October 2009, 07:44 PM
Panding-ai kEvalappaduthirukkaarE, appuram yEn akramam ?

Plum
12th October 2009, 07:59 PM
oru paasathula chellamA solradhu :-)

P_R
16th October 2009, 10:01 AM
despite claiming that Hindi commentary has dismissed more Indian batsmen than Wasim Akram :rotfl:

littlemaster1982
16th October 2009, 10:10 AM
Hilarious article :lol:

A misfield would result in, "Amarnath should be sacked immediately", causing my young mind to conjure up pictures of BCCI officials hurriedly running on to the field to convey the bad news to Jimmy, who would then sadly trot off and play no further part in the match

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Aalavanthan
19th January 2010, 12:51 AM
Sarfraz Ahmed caught behind Michael Clarke off the bowling of Hauritz.

The ball edges out Ahmed's bat , goes past the keeper brushing his gloves, hits Clarke's fingers and then his toes. He eventually completes the catch.

Commentatory:
Mark Nicholes: Mark Taylor is a master in maneuvering the ball with the legs and catching it.
Richie Benaud: Well, thats an excellent toe job .. :lol:

Everybody else in the commentary and rest of the crew had a good :lol: .. Man, this guy has an update similar to the Microsoft Windows

WE are going to miss the old & fade-y voice of the man who served BBC and Channel 9 for so much years