PDA

View Full Version : The MOST aggressive Batsmen of this era

Raghu
14th July 2006, 03:20 PM
Let's discuss about the most aggressive batsmen of this era, please vote for your Star .

My vote goes for the MASTER BLASTER, Sanath JayaSuriya 8-) :P :thumbsup: :clap:

Raghu
14th July 2006, 04:16 PM
One of the world's most uncompromising strikers of the ball, Jayasuriya found belated fame as a pinch-hitter at the 1996 World Cup, and then demonstrated that he was also capable of massive scoring in Tests, eventually becoming Sri Lanka's highest Test run-scorer. He remains dizzily dangerous, especially on the subcontinent's slower, less bouncy surfaces. Short in stature and powerfully built, he cuts and pulls with awesome power, and his brutal bat-wielding is at odds with his shy, gentle nature. Wised-up opponents have learned to set traps in the gully and at third man to stem the flow of runs, but on song he can be virtually unstoppable, capable of scoring freely on both sides of the wicket.

Jayasuriya is also an extremely effective and canny left-arm spinner, especially in one-day internationals where his stock leg-stump darts are mixed up with clever variations in pace. Jayasuriya served commendably as Sri Lanka's captain for a successful tenure after the sacking of Arjuna Ranatunga in 1999. His leadership style was consensual in comparison to the Napoleon approach adopted by Ranatunga, and he soon built a happy and unified team. The huge responsibility of leading the team, though, started to show and by the 2003 World Cup, after a myriad of off-field controversies, it was clear that he had become a reluctant captain. He eventually resigned in April 2003.

Having stepped down, his position in the side was more vigorously debated and a one-day slump prompted several pundits to call time on his career. But Jayasuriya was far from finished, and he bounced back in 2004 with his most prolific year in Test cricket since 1997. The year included a blazing second-innings century against Australia at Kandy that nearly levelled the series and a marathon double-hundred against Pakistan at Faisalabad. Twin centuries followed during the Asia Cup 2004 and his form was impressive enough for Somerset to sign him up for a season of County Cricket in 2005. And in the Indian Oil Cup in 2005, Jayasuriya became only the fourth batsman to get to 10,000 runs in one-day cricket.

bingleguy
14th July 2006, 04:18 PM
Sachin indha ERA illayaa ?

He is the MASTER BLASTER :-)

Raghu
14th July 2006, 04:21 PM
Sachin indha ERA illayaa ?

He is the MASTER BLASTER :-)

bingle,

I feel he is a TECHNICAL batsmen than AGGRESSIVE :D

MADDY
14th July 2006, 05:09 PM
Adam Gilchrist, he is better than anyone

Sanguine Sridhar
14th July 2006, 05:17 PM
I second :) Infact i was thinking thrice!! Sanath Vs Veeru Vs Gilchrist! .. Gilchrist is my choice finally :)

Raghu
14th July 2006, 06:09 PM

but maddy, stats dont favour adam, but favours Sanath, in fact, it was the lankans who introduced BRUTAL HITTINGS, in the mid nineties, with the likes of Sanath, Aravinda & ranatunga !

i am NOT supporting sanath, cos he is my country buddy, like many people blindly support their country stars, but I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN AGRESSIVE BRUTAL HITTING BY ANY BATSMEN, APART FROM THE VETERAN OPENER Sanath Jayasuriya!

:clap:

Raghu
14th July 2006, 06:11 PM
sari, yaaru namma BIGGEST HYPE but less TALENTED kevin peterson-iku vote panninanga theriyumma,

vera yaarum illa, namm Nakeeran sir :wink:, :-)

Nakeeran
14th July 2006, 08:15 PM
sari, yaaru namma BIGGEST HYPE but less TALENTED kevin peterson-iku vote panninanga theriyumma,

vera yaarum illa, namm Nakeeran sir :wink:, :-)

Yov Raghuji :D

En vaaya pidungadheenga . I just saw this thread found interesting & peeped inside :twisted:

My vote will be for Adam Gilchrist MY INSPIRATION .

Why I am more & more aggressive today is because of idolising this greatest ever aggressive batsman.

but if you ask me for the GREATEST ALL TIME AGGRESSIVE BATSMAN,

MY VOTE WILL BE FOR VIV RICHARDS :D

Raghu
14th July 2006, 09:08 PM
Nakeeran,

summa Joke-panna ivalavu tension ahureengha,

take it easy -pa, just joking :-)

Alien
14th July 2006, 09:16 PM
As far as aggressiveness is concerned I love these 3 equally , their gutsiness : Sanath , Shewag & Lara !!
But I voted for Sanath :P ... Who I believe is the most terrorizing batsmen of this era.... I remember watching my first ever cricket series, Sharjah cup 1995 , where Lara piled up runs against Srilanka & Pakistan (169 & 104 & etc., ) , which for me was the dawn of a new era , when Sanath hit Ambrose for a six in the finale(SL lost by a mere 4 runs 333 & 329) !! :D ... And it indeed was the dawn of a new epoch :wink:

villan007
14th July 2006, 09:31 PM
Jayasurya.... 8-) .... Terror to the bowlers... who can forget the '96 WC :shock:

Nakeeran
14th July 2006, 09:34 PM
Jayasurya.... 8-) .... Terror to the bowlers... who can forget the '96 WC :shock:

Villa

Jayasurya definitely was / is a terror but dont you feel that Gilchrist performs well as a terrorist in both forms of cricket ? oneday & tests ?

You know , atleast Jayasurya will defend certain balls & plan his innings but Gilchrist JUST DEMOLITION MANNNNN :D

Alien
14th July 2006, 09:41 PM
Oh nakeeran c'mon !!! Gillie is good too ... but comparing him with Sanath , Shewag is :confused2: .... Gillie always had/has a great team to cope even if he fails, but that was not the case with Sanath , Lara, Shewag ...
Bringing Gillie is an insult to Sanath esp, who kicked off this great epoch !!! :cry3:

Nakeeran
14th July 2006, 09:50 PM
Bringing Gillie is an insult to Sanath esp, who kicked off this great epoch !!! :cry3:

Alien

You know who actually kicked off this epoch ?

It was Krish Srikanth , followed by that kiwi Mark Greatbatch.
While Sri did it in the 80s, Greatbatch did it well in that 92 worldcup matches .

Jayasurya was playing as a lower order batsman I think early in his career & it was the master brain Ranatunga who elevated him along with Kalu & they did wonders :D

Sanguine Sridhar
14th July 2006, 10:50 PM
Gilchrist/Sanath... both are equally good!! But its temper! Whoaa!! Gilchrist is something special!! :)

P_R
15th July 2006, 12:13 AM
Ricky Ponting. He will waltz past all records. He has got a wide variety of strokes, never gets bogged down by the situation and when in flow, his shot selection and timing are flawless. He puts the bowlers on the defensive with his relentless attack. I second Rod Marsh's description: "he's a once in a generation batsman".

MADDY
15th July 2006, 03:06 AM

but maddy, stats dont favour adam, but favours Sanath, in fact, it was the lankans who introduced BRUTAL HITTINGS, in the mid nineties, with the likes of Sanath, Aravinda & ranatunga !

yes Raghu, brutal hitting was their forte but that was also inspired from our greatest Sachin :clap: who introduced the concept of taking advantage of 15-over restriction......he was made to open against NZL in a one day match and he scored 83 in 42 balls, that was the beginning of attacking batsmaship (with a plan) in ODIs......i say attacking batsmaship (with a plan) cos Srikanth and Greatbatch already did that but without any specific plan........so i wud attribute this SL's brutal hitting to sachin's master stroke in 1993 or 94(i dont remember).........

moreover, Gilchrist is more reliable than Jayasurya, i have seen Gilchrist lifting Aussies many times in tests at crucial times and i have hardly seen him fail when required in ODIs as well.......whereas Sanath has been a major disappointment since 2000.....

Alien
15th July 2006, 05:21 AM

Alien

You know who actually kicked off this epoch ?

It was Krish Srikanth , followed by that kiwi Mark Greatbatch.
While Sri did it in the 80s, Greatbatch did it well in that 92 worldcup matches .

Jayasurya was playing as a lower order batsman I think early in his career & it was the master brain Ranatunga who elevated him along with Kalu & they did wonders :D
Nakkeee
Avasara paTTu ethO solreenga .... I said "Jayasurya kicked off this new epoch" .... I know that Sri did it in 80s , greatbach in 92 worldcup and others , but did they have any followers??? They were just doing by themselves ....
Whereas Sanath's brutal big hitting persuaded/inspired every other team to follow !! And there u could see a clear-cut era with the introduction of Sanath up in the order opening the batting ! :victory:
(And there were some stray hittings like Sachin's 82 against Newzealand in 1992 ) ..... But it is undoubtedly Sanath who made everyone follow him in this great epoch !!!

Justice
15th July 2006, 07:56 AM
[tscii:0ffa30de22]I noticed someone saying Jayasurya was a disaster and Gilly was a success since 2000 :rotfl2:

Since 2000

Jayasurya has 15 tons in 164 ODIs at an average of 37
Gilly has 9 tons in 166 ODIs at an average of 37

Jayasurya averages 46 in those ODIs won by Srilanka
Gilly averages 42 in ODIs won by Australia

Sanath, despite not being in the champion team, has equally been good to Gilly, dollop better. Nobody plays a whirlwind innings of Jaya's caliber; ultimate evidence is the last ODI against England. Sanath is something special and has stamina and an aura. Plz don’t vilify if you aren’t aware of the facts.

After smashing NZ bowlers around the park, Gilly arrived in England and failed to gain Aus any momentum ahead of the Ashes.. He was a failure in ODIs and they had to share the cup with Eng. The team needed him to perform because they needed the momentum after losing the twenty20.

Regarding the first 15 over exploitation..
Jayasurya was the one who epitomised the method. Before him, few players played one or two innings but Jayasurya was the trend setter, continously punished the attacks hence it became a new trend.

BTW Sachin and Ponting should be in the poll.[/tscii:0ffa30de22]

Sanguine Sridhar
15th July 2006, 11:54 AM
Justice Thambi,

Thats a good comparison.But we have to note that Sanath is an opener and Gilchrist is somewhere 5 or 6th batsman! And i hope i don need to explain you why Gilchrist scored less tons than Sanath.But you have to appreciate the fact that in his position(5th or 6th) he has scored these much tons!

Sanguine Sridhar
15th July 2006, 11:57 AM
But i cant deny that Santh/Kalu pair was the first one to score more runs in the first 10 Overs.They scored 80-90 runs in 10 overs so easily and they showed how to score 300+ in ODI's it is def'ly Lankans.

And i cant forget A'de'silva what a player!!!

Nakeeran
15th July 2006, 01:20 PM
Whether it is test or a one dayer - Gilcrhist played the one & only way he could - AGGRESSION

remember who was the catalyst to the great Aussie spate of victories ? It was Gilly only against Paks when they were going strong. Gilly took the match away SINGLEHANDEDLY on the 5th day by plundering 140++ & also won a virtually lost match .
After this , the Aussies never looked back :D

Again , in Mumbai , when our bowlers were on top, Gilly destroyed our morale by a breathtaking century ( whether he failed in other 2 matches is immaterial ) & took the game away.

I can quote several examples like this

GILLY GILLY GILLY GILLY GILLY :D :D :D

Sanguine Sridhar
15th July 2006, 03:05 PM
I am sorry i am not very sure that Gilchrist was always 5 th or 6th batsman.

Justice
15th July 2006, 08:00 PM
Justice Thambi,

Thats a good comparison.But we have to note that Sanath is an opener and Gilchrist is somewhere 5 or 6th batsman! And i hope i don need to explain you why Gilchrist scored less tons than Sanath.But you have to appreciate the fact that in his position(5th or 6th) he has scored these much tons!
Yes

I'm taking nothing away from Gilly, my fav player(ponting too) from Aus. But maddy claiming Jaya was a disaster and Gilly was a success since 2000 is atrocious when both of them have equally been good. That's why I searched for stats. Opening an innings for an average team is as hard as plyaing at no 7(five down) because the bowlers are fresh and will be bowling the new ball. Gilly is the best playing at 5 down in test and possibly is in anyones dream squad

Justice
15th July 2006, 08:19 PM
remember who was the catalyst to the great Aussie spate of victories ? It was Gilly only against Paks when they were going strong. Gilly took the match away SINGLEHANDEDLY on the 5th day by plundering 140++ & also won a virtually lost match .

Once I stated in one of the thread here that Sachin singlehandedly won a match and you scolded me for doing so.. but now :wink: Simply defines the art of hypocrisy.

That was a fine hundred :thumbsup:

Nakeeran
16th July 2006, 12:39 PM

Once I stated in one of the thread here that Sachin singlehandedly won a match and you scolded me for doing so.. but now :wink: Simply defines the art of hypocrisy.

That was a fine hundred :thumbsup:

Justice

Can you give me instances of Sachin having won a TEST match singlehandedly ? But I wish you give it against a country which is creditworthy & it should be outside India . I bet it will be a big blank here.

Second, Gilly , for him , it doesnt matter whether its test or a oneday - his approach will be the same but Sanath shows caution ( pls dont say its a matured approach ) in tests

But for Gilly, in both forms JUST STEPS IN AND BLASTS RIGHT FROM THE WORD GO .

MY POST HERE IS ADDRESSING THE TOPIC THEME - THE MOST AGGRESSIVE OF OUR ERA

Dont you feel now that Gilly is the ultimate when you consider AGGRESSION ?

Justice
17th July 2006, 03:10 AM
Justice

Can you give me instances of Sachin having won a TEST match singlehandedly ? But I wish you give it against a country which is creditworthy & it should be outside India . I bet it will be a big blank here.

Second, Gilly , for him , it doesnt matter whether its test or a oneday - his approach will be the same but Sanath shows caution ( pls dont say its a matured approach ) in tests

In tests, Sanath opens the innings and is the stalwart of SL batting line up, whenver he has a good match, SL wins the match. He has lots of responsibility to lift the team spirit. Gilly plays at no 7 in a line up after the ball has become old and the players are exhausted. Do you know every team tries to avoid losing some quick wickets early on an innings, that's openers job. What Gilly does is a bonus. Most of the time, Aus is already in a good position and a failure from Gilly won't do much harm to Aus. He has the freedom. I remeber one of Sanath's innings against pakistan in 2004 when he hit a double ton in the second innings. He shared a partnership of 101 for the last wicket. From the 101 runs, the guy at the other end scored one run only. Sanath was on a song. See how the position makes a difference. Let Gilly open or Sanath bat at no 7 and then have the comparision. Sanath is the most agressive batsman of the era without a shadow of a doubt. Nobody murders a bowling attack as Sanath most often does. You won't witness a fifty from Gilly off 17 balls or hundred off 48 balls or 150 off 95 balls. It's Sanath only.

Singlehanded: Singlehadedly is an exaggerated term because Gilly scored 149 but even Langer scored 127 in the same innings. How's that a singlehandedly? Aus won by 4 wickets. That's not singlehandedly. This term is more apt to Lara's 153* against Aus.

You have your opinion, I have mine and am firm. I'll rather stop than repeating the same ammunitions so :wave:

Nakeeran
17th July 2006, 02:16 PM
Justice

In tests, Sanath opens the innings and is the stalwart of SL batting line up, whenver he has a good match, SL wins the match. He has lots of responsibility to lift the team spirit. Gilly plays at no 7 in a line up after the ball has become old and the players are exhausted. Do you know every team tries to avoid losing some quick wickets early on an innings, that's openers job. What Gilly does is a bonus. Most of the time, Aus is already in a good position and a failure from Gilly won't do much harm to Aus. He has the freedom. I remeber one of Sanath's innings against pakistan in 2004 when he hit a double ton in the second innings. He shared a partnership of 101 for the last wicket. From the 101 runs, the guy at the other end scored one run only. Sanath was on a song. See how the position makes a difference. Let Gilly open or Sanath bat at no 7 and then have the comparision. Sanath is the most agressive batsman of the era without a shadow of a doubt. Nobody murders a bowling attack as Sanath most often does. You won't witness a fifty from Gilly off 17 balls or hundred off 48 balls or 150 off 95 balls. It's Sanath only.

Singlehanded: Singlehadedly is an exaggerated term because Gilly scored 149 but even Langer scored 127 in the same innings. How's that a singlehandedly? Aus won by 4 wickets. That's not singlehandedly. This term is more apt to Lara's 153* against Aus.

You have your opinion, I have mine and am firm. I'll rather stop than repeating the same ammunitions so :wave:

I think you have forgotten that 200+ Gilly scored in South Africa which is one of the fastest double century :D
The Australian batting lineup is so strong that he had to come lower down.
There are many matches that he had won / ensured that they get a substantial lead ( with tailenders to support ) which proved to be decisive in the ultimate analysis

Despite Langer's knock, if Gilly had not scored that , Aussies would have lost that match & who knows what would have happened to the sequence of victories which followed ? This knock was admired by none other than the then captain Steve Waugh & what happened to Aussies , you know ! :D

Raghu
17th July 2006, 03:28 PM

:clap: EXACTLY :2thumbsup: :exactly:

Nakeeran
17th July 2006, 03:46 PM

:clap: EXACTLY :2thumbsup: :exactly:

Raghuji,

Old matches parunga . Oru kalathula Srikanth , jayasurya stylil Pattaya kilapunaaru .

I think Sri was the one to give a start before Jayasurya :idea:

Raghu
17th July 2006, 03:47 PM
Sanath is the most agressive batsman of the era without a shadow of a doubt. Nobody murders a bowling attack as Sanath most often does. You won't witness a fifty from Gilly off 17 balls or hundred off 48 balls or 150 off 95 balls. It's Sanath only.

indeed !!

MADDY
18th July 2006, 03:31 AM
damn, no use in talking to u guys.......u guys always look for superstars and not utility players.........Gilchrist is the greatest all rounder of all time, with his keeping........he is such a great motivator for the aussies and the only decent guy in that ill-civilised Aussie team.......and yes i have seen him murdering bowlers as much as Jayasurya has done it......but he is a team man more than a superstar like Sanath......

i always prefer team men like Dravid,Gilly than superstars like sachin,lara in a team.......

lastly, Gilly is a part of 2-time WC winner team and ur sanath is/was member of only 1 WC winner team.....

villan007
18th July 2006, 01:59 PM
lastly, Gilly is a part of 2-time WC winner team and ur sanath is/was member of only 1 WC winner team.....

unga kooda eppaium sema comedy than maddy anne :rotfl: :rotfl:

You hav to take the individual performances and not the team performances.. Not all innings wud ve been match wining ones. there are exceptions..

.Gilchrist is the greatest all rounder of all time, with his keeping........he is such a great motivator for the aussies and the only decent guy in that ill-civilised Aussie team.

who asked all these craps ? :roll:

did you read the thread title ? :?

Raghu
18th July 2006, 02:11 PM
and yes i have seen him murdering bowlers as much as Jayasurya has done it......

:lol: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

MADDY
18th July 2006, 04:34 PM
opinions differ, i wud rather see my team win than my player getting 100's and 50's........for me Gilchrist is the left handed Viv-Richards........

selvakumar
18th July 2006, 04:53 PM
I am not sure why MADDY is being ridiculed this much. I accept his view.
But my opinion is Both ARE GOOD.
One thing what Sanath lacks is : His success rate with popular bowlers across the world (I think !)

But I have seen AG having comprehensive victory over all famous bowlers.
He can change the course of a test match even when he bats in the 5th or 6th position.

Whereas SANATH was very aggressive most of the time in the subcontinent pitches while he was not able to do the same quite convincingly in other pitches. ! (Plz correct me if I am wrong)

sid
20th July 2006, 02:14 PM
test

Nakeeran
20th July 2006, 02:23 PM
Not sure whether Sanath has OVER POWERED the follg bowlers :

1. Akram
2. Waqar
3. Shoaib
4. Mcgrath
5. Lee
6. Ambrose
7. Walsh
8. Alan Donald
9. Gillespie
10. Shaun Pollock

The above 10 were top 10 PACE bowlers for long & some are still around , at reduced pace .

Did Jayasurya over power them ? If yes, was he consistenly overpowering them ??

Raghu
20th July 2006, 02:43 PM

1. Akram
2. Waqar
3. Shoaib
4. Mcgrath
5. Lee
6. Ambrose
7. Walsh
8. Alan Donald
9. Gillespie
10. Shaun Pollock

The above 10 were top 10 PACE bowlers for long & some are still around , at reduced pace .

yeah i am not sure whether the above bowlers OVER POWERD Sanath as well :roll: :lol:

manuel
20th July 2006, 03:10 PM
The bowlers listed in the above posts were over powered by Ajay Jadeja and Rahul Dravid but unfortunately both cannot said to be as a master blaster......
Virendra Sehwag is the real master blaster .. he can thwart any attack

selvakumar
20th July 2006, 03:12 PM
One innings of SJ which I can't forget is the one he had against NZ.
He hit CHRIS HARRIS for sixes and fours continously.. CH looked like as if he was standing in hell.. :lol:

Nakeeran
20th July 2006, 03:29 PM
He hit CHRIS HARRIS for sixes and fours continously.. CH looked like as if he was standing in hell.. :lol:

CH was a military medium pace bowler - rather virtually a slow bowler :lol:

If SJ had done this to SHANE BOND, its creditworthy :D

Nakeeran
20th July 2006, 03:31 PM
The bowlers listed in the above posts were over powered by Ajay Jadeja and Rahul Dravid but unfortunately both cannot said to be as a master blaster......
Virendra Sehwag is the real master blaster .. he can thwart any attack

Manuel

What I meant was INTIMIDATION & AGGRESSION

Ajay Jadeja was highly successful against top ranked bowlers in onedayers :D Cool & composed in middle overs & suddenly will move to top gear in slog overs !
Dravid scored runs but never overpowered them . Whats is your opinion ?

Raghu
20th July 2006, 04:29 PM

:lol: ,

Selva Machi,

Which yr and which ODI was it?

this is nothing compared to how Sanath Brutal hittings againts the so called Much hyped 'Steve Harminson'. SJ hit him continously for fours and sixes, and Steve was destroyed in side out, :lol: :lol:

Raghu
20th July 2006, 04:34 PM

oh yes Shane bond hehe, is he the fastest in the world or what, SJ handled Lee & Akhthar very well!!

selvakumar
20th July 2006, 04:44 PM
oh yes Shane bond hehe, is he the fastest in the world or what, SJ handled Lee & Akhthar very well!!

Raghu machi !
I couldn't recall the venue as well as the match. But it was one of the best aggressive innings I have seen

& I don't think SJ has handled Lee well or dominated his attack. :roll:

Nakeeran
20th July 2006, 05:19 PM

Raghuji

Jayasuryavukku migavum piditha oru bowler - VENKATESH PRASAD :D & AMIR SOHAIL ( remember that singapore one day when he scored heavily in one over )

& Jayasurya's favourite whipping team - INDIA :cry:

MADDY
20th July 2006, 05:36 PM
Jayasuryavukku migavum piditha oru bowler - VENKATESH PRASAD :D & AMIR SOHAIL ( remember that singapore one day when he scored heavily in one over )

but nakee, India has successfully exorcised the srilankan ghost by comprehensively screwing their a**es last year by beating them 6-1......that was the worst defeat for any srilankan team to India......and also , Ganguly and Dravid helped India get 373 in WC1999 hitting Murali so much that he looked like a "street bowler"......so India has its share of revenge.......

Justice
20th July 2006, 06:11 PM

1. Akram
2. Waqar
3. Shoaib
4. Mcgrath
5. Lee
6. Ambrose
7. Walsh
8. Alan Donald
9. Gillespie
10. Shaun Pollock

Sanath has overpowered Akram, Waqar, Lee, Shoaib, Gillespie and some others in your lish slightly...

But you have to remeber one thing. Sanath has been an opening batsman for a decade and has faced all the top bowlers at their peak. Donald, two W's, Pollock and lots of those bowlers were in their peak in late 90s.

How man of those bowlers Gilchrist punish consistently?
I don't count punish Pollock now when he is over the hill. Gilly did not punish those bowlers as much as Sanath did. The only good pace attack he had to face till today was the English attack which Gilly failed embarasingly :oops: .. Sanath made Harmision a county bowler :oops:

Justice
20th July 2006, 06:43 PM
I agree Indian beat SL in their backyard but India is yet to win an ODI series in Srilanka since 1998 indepedence cup.. and I can say a lot things about SL or Sanath's highest scores or the win by big margin, 245 etc.

After the defeat, SL was on the rise only, went Aus to play Aus and SA in vb series, do I need to tell you that SL made it to the final and even won the first final :notworthy:

I can belch as much as you can but that aint' a good thing to do.

SL made a late entry to international arena but made huge impacts in a small stint and broke several records. For a small island with no domestic cricket system and civil war, SL exceeded the expectation.

Nakeeran
20th July 2006, 06:47 PM
I agree Indian beat SL in their backyard but India is yet to win an ODI series in Srilanka since 1998 indepedence cup.. and I can say a lot things about SL or Sanath's highest scores or the win by big margin, 245 etc.

After the defeat, SL was on the rise only, went Aus to play Aus and SA in vb series, do I need to tell you that SL made it to the final and even won the first final :notworthy:

I can belch as much as you can but that aint' a good thing to do.

SL made a late entry to international arena but made huge impacts in a small stint and broke several records. For a small island with no domestic cricket system and civil war, SL exceeded the expectation.

Justice . True

I think we often went with a depleted team

Hello. I think India shared that Champions trophy with SL & the total was a paltry 220++ ( remember Sachin scoring a boundary off Vaas & then rain or some bad light stopped the play & the trophy was shared ). That match was India's . Sad we couldnt take the cup alone
India came close to winning tests under Sourav but we lost 1-2 ?
Dravid scored a century. Sachin didnt play that series ?

The worst of it was that mamooth test score IT SEEMED AS IF RANATUNGA WAS BENT UPON HUMILIATING INDIANS :cry:

Nakeeran
20th July 2006, 06:50 PM

but nakee, India has successfully exorcised the srilankan ghost by comprehensively screwing their a**es last year by beating them 6-1......that was the worst defeat for any srilankan team to India......and also , Ganguly and Dravid helped India get 373 in WC1999 hitting Murali so much that he looked like a "street bowler"......so India has its share of revenge.......

Maddy

I can never forget that Taunton rampage by Sourav that day ! :D
Its one of the best of Ganguly's

Earlier I think Sidhu mauled Murali . Scored max sixes in one test match back home !

Nakeeran
20th July 2006, 06:52 PM
Justice,

Adam failed in just this recent series in England as Freddie bull dozed him ! but I dont think he failed in previous outings.
Adam is one guy who has the best strike rate in both versions

Above all, a very sportive character A ROLE MODEL ...just walks without waiting for Umpire's decision.

Even our Genius Sachin never walked !

Raghu
20th July 2006, 07:41 PM
Sanath made Harmision a county bowler :oops: :lol: :lol: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Raghu
20th July 2006, 07:46 PM
SL made a late entry to international arena but made huge impacts in a small stint and broke several records. For a small island with no domestic cricket system and civil war, SL exceeded the expectation. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Indeed!!!

Maddy,

but India having the LARGEST population, amongst the Cricketing nation, you would expect more talent!!, with a population of around 1.1 Billion and SL's population of arounf 18million and with a decade of Civial war , SL is the one hell of a TOUGH team to beat, even the Aussies knows this ....

Justice
20th July 2006, 07:51 PM
Nakeeran. I'm saying Gilly did not face the two W's, Pollock, Donald or any other top bowlers in their form. The one attack that ramained undisputed was Australian attack which Gilly never faced. He had a great share of advantage.

Eventhough some players average as much as Sachin or Lara but will not get the credit.

The Gilly is a role model, never got fined :wink:

Once the role model made a mess when mcmillan didn't walk off. If you are role model, you do that and let others follow. You shall not force them to :oops: . Ya I thought Gilly was a great person before that incident but then Gilly became one of typical Australian.

By the way, I've asked you not to talk about the revenge and blah blah.. but you don't seem to stop..

Nakeeran, I know that chapion was shared between us but you never know the outcome, so cannot be counted.

Sorry to selva and others but can't help it. Maddy and Nakeeran are turning this thread to be an anti-srilanka.. I don't mind them calling Murali or Sanath worst players in the history but can't digest making anti-srilankan comments.. Yes SL made late entry but they have done more what other countries did in their first one or two decades and broke several records.. The more I stay here, the worse it'll get.. and will eventually assassinate the friendship we have here.. reminding that I've been more civilised in my argument but these two guys aren't.... before it get worse.. am taking off.. bye.

Ramakrishna
20th July 2006, 08:21 PM
It is surprising to note that many have forgotten Shahid Afridi and his ability.Atleast the Indians should not have forgotten him :oops:

Raghu
20th July 2006, 09:01 PM
Sanath Teran Jayasuriya (born June 30, 1969 in Matara) is a Sri Lankan cricketer. The allrounder, who belongs to the majority Sinhalese community, has been a member of the Sri Lankan cricket team since 1989. Powerfully-built, he is arguably, along with Arjuna Ranatunga, Aravinda de Silva, Chaminda Vaas and Muttiah Muralitharan, one of the finest cricketers to emerge from the Island. One of the most fearsome strikers of a cricket ball, his attacking approach, coupled with consistency is what has distinguised him as one of the most destructive batsmen in world cricket. A veteran in the game, he scores freely and spearheads the Sri Lankan batting at the top of the order.

He cuts and pulls with awesome power, his trademark shot being the brutal smash over point, which sometimes sails for the maximum six runs. Jayasuriya's greatest contribution to ODIs came after he was promoted to the top of the batting order during the 1995-96 tour of Australia, and, with Romesh Kaluwitharana, gave birth to an aggressive batting approach in the first fifteen overs that revolutionised the mindset of opening batsmen in ODIs, as the batsmen became much more conscious of exploiting the fielding restrictions early on. He was instrumental in Sri Lanka's victory in the 1996 Cricket World Cup, where he was adjudged Man of the Tournament in recognition of his all-round contributions.

He was named as one of the Wisden Cricketers of the Year in 1997 and served as captain of the Sri Lankan team in 28 Test matches from 1999 to 2003. He is a very useful all-rounder with a good batting average in both Test cricket and One-day Internationals, and an excellent batting strike rate in One-day Internationals.

As a part-time left-arm orthodox spin bowler, he has a reasonable bowling average and economy rate. He regularly helps to decrease the workloads of strike bowlers Muttiah Muralitharan and Chaminda Vaas and has taken over 250 one-day international wickets.

Jayasuriya currently holds the record for the highest Test score made by a Sri Lankan, 340 against India in 1997. This effort was part of a second-wicket partnership with Roshan Mahanama that set the current all-time record for any partnership in Test history, with 576 runs. He also holds the world's third highest ODI score, which is 189 runs against India. In that match, India were defeated by 245 runs, which as of February 2006, is the second highest margin of defeat by runs in a One-Day International match.

He currently holds the record fastest fifty in ODIs, scored off just 17 balls. Jayasuria was the previous record-holder for the fastest century (off 48 balls), before losing that claim to Shahid Afridi of Pakistan. He has hit over 200 sixes in one day internationals. He recently became the fourth batsman to score more than 10,000 runs in ODIs. On 20 September 2005, during the Second Test of the home series against Bangladesh, Jayasuriya became the first Sri Lankan to play 100 Tests, and the 33rd Test cricketer to achieve this feat. Sanath Jayasuriya also holds the record of highest runs in One over: 30 runs. He has also achieved this remarkable feat twice.

A stadium was named in his honour in Matara. He is nicknamed the "Master Blaster".

Jayasuriya announced his intention to retire from Test cricket following the Pakistan tour of Sri Lanka in April 2006. He later reversed this decision and joined the Sri Lankan cricket team in England in May 2006. Missing the first two Tests, Jayasuriya returned to Test cricket in the Third Test at Trent Bridge, batting in the middle-order. [1] While performing poorly in the one Test match he played of the series, he scored two centuries in the one-day Natwest series, including scoring 152 off just 99 balls in the final. In that innings, he and Upul Tharanga (109) put on 286 runs for the first wicket, a new one-day international record. Jayasuria's batting display earned him the Man of the Series award as Sri Lanka won the series 5-0.

Following the Natwest Trophy, Sri Lanka travelled to Holland for a two-match one-day series. In the first game, Jayasuria scored 157 of 104 balls as Sri Lanka posted the highest team total in limited-overs cricket (443/9), beating the 438/9 South Africa scored against Australia in March 2006. Sri Lanka won the match by 195 runs.

Raghu
20th July 2006, 09:07 PM
Welcome To Sanath's Home Page

Sanath Jayasuriya the Srilankan master blaster started his international career in his favourite version of the game-One day on 26 th December 1989 in Melbourne, Australia. Born in the remote southern village in Matara he learnt his early lessons of cricket in St. Sylvester's College-Matara.

His first big break came in 1988 when he participated in the Youth World Cup in Australia., then followed the tour of Pakistan with the Sri Lankan B Team. In this tour he scored back to back double centuries.

He played his first test match on 22 Feb 1991 against New Zealand in Hamilton.

Have a look at his Career Records

I believe it would be rather appropriate to look into what these Journalist got to say about Sanath.

Jayasuriya - A Bright Future Awaits -When he hit 151 against the Indians
S Thawfeeq: The Sucess Story Of Sanath Jayasuriya -An overall analysis of his carrear
World Cup Most Valuable Player Award For Jayasuriya- When he won the most valuable player award
P Vaidyanathan: Jayasuriya, The Annihilator -After the record breaking innings in Singapoor
R Mohan: A Magical Jaunt From The Marauder From Matara -After the record breaking innings in Singapoor
H Bhogle: Sanath Jayasuriya - Radically Different -After the record breaking innings in Singapoor
Tendulkar rates Jayasuriya one of world's top batsmen After His 340 and 1999 Against Indian
Wisden rankings: Sanath displaces Steve as world's top batsman
(Special thanks toCricInfo for the above collection)

Here is what these big names in cricket said about this hero

His Captain Arjuna Ranathunga- When he won the world cup Most valuable player award

"He has batted well, fielded brilliantly, and when given the ball, has come up with crucial wickets. What else can I ask of a player?``

England captain Mike Atherton about Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana:-After his 82 off 44 balls in the world cup quarter finals

"They play the first 15 overs as if they were the last 15. I think Sri Lanka have taken the game to new levels. It`s so difficult to bowl at them.``

Former Australian Captain Chappell

"Sanath Jayasuriya has been an important player in the Sri Lankan rise to the top. He is very exciting. I had the good fortune to see his two good innings in Singapore and, I haven't seen anything that is more exciting than that on the cricket field,''

Hindustan times editorial

The laws of gravitation took a holiday when Sanath Jayasuriya was at the crease

CricInfo in their top ten cricket stories of 1996

For years considered a run-of-the-mill batsman who could bowl some useful left-arm spin in one-dayers, Jayasuriya was promoted to the top of the batting order during the 1995-96 tour of Australia and, with Kaluwitharana, gave birth to an aggressive batting approach to the first fifteen overs. In the World Cup he clubbed the ball to all parts of the ground (and the grandstands) as he contributed to his country's finest sporting achievement. And in Singapore he brutalised the Pakistani attack to smash an array of one-day international batting records. A new startegy was born, but few were as capable as Jaya of carrying it through.

The Bible of Cricket, Wisden, whwn he reached the Number one Position in there ranking

''It was a phenomenal performance, Jayasuriya banished any notion that he is just a one-day player, batting for over 13 hours without giving a chance. He certainly deserves his high position.''

The Indian Captain Tendulcar After His 340 against India

''I have not seen Don Bradman bat, but I have seen Sanath Jayasuriya. I have not seen a better batsman in my cricketing career, as a player for India and much before that, than Jayasuriya. He is exceptional...has the skill to play shots on both sides of the wicket. He plays out of the book shots and it becomes difficult to set a field for him. Sometimes he has the luck, but a batsman of his skill, ability and capacity and option to play tremendous shots allround the wicket does not need luck. He was simply brilliant. Indeed, I have not seen any one superior to Jayasuriya,''

No. of visitors since October 30 ,1996

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CricInfo
My Home
Your comments

vakek@ttacs.ttu.edu

options

Raghu
22nd December 2006, 05:01 PM
Sanath Destroys the Kiwis in T20

51 from 22 balls :notworthy: :2thumbsup: :ty: :yes: :clap: :boo: :redjump: :bluejump: :thumbsup: 8-) :P

fastest Half century scorer ever in T20 international

lakalakalkalaka