PDA

View Full Version : Cheeni Kum

inetk
13th July 2006, 08:39 AM
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1041187

Music genius serves up a feast
Preeti Raghunath
Wednesday, July 12, 2006 18:50 IST

Eight hundred and forty eight movies down the line, legendary music composer Ilaiyaraaja admits that he’s only served his audience pickles and poppadums.

“I have yet to serve them the entire meal,” he smiles. He is in the city composing music for two films, ‘Cheeni Kum’ starring Amitabh Bachchan and Tabu by debutante director Balakrishnan and ‘Shiva’ directed by Ram Gopal Varma.

He’s planning a few different styles for ‘Cheeni Kum’ - “There will be romantic numbers and lots of melodic, orchestrated numbers,” he says.

One of the first musicians to emphasise the importance of orchestration while composing music, he synthesised Western and Indian instruments.

“My music is very spontaneous; it comes from the heart. I can never plan it out. In fact, there has been a scientific study done saying that Mozart’s music develops brain cells because his music was straight from his heart,” he says.

Guru to A R Rahman, Ilaiyaraaja says he always knew Rahman was a bright spark. “That’s why I took him into my troupe! My keyboard player was drunk so I told my team to get me a player from somewhere. They came back saying a little boy was there - I was okay with the 11-year-old!” he smiles. From placing his fingers on the keyboard to helping him play, he’s proud of his ‘little spark’ who has sure has gone places.

The maestro is set about his views on composers today; “There are no music composers today - they are just arrangers! Today’s music will never go down the ages. It is only here for today and will not stay,” he says. It might just be two Bollywood movies currently but he says, “I don’t mind composing for more movies here but there should be good enough work for me!”[/tscii:4fea71fdda]

Sanjeevi
13th July 2006, 09:48 AM
Mikka Nanri Karthik :D

umaramesh
13th July 2006, 04:46 PM
[tscii:a92ed04fa1]There are no music composers today - they are just arrangers! Today’s music will never go down the ages. It is only here for today and will not stay,” :roll:

Enna ippadi sollitar? that includes Yuvan also? :lol:

ramesh[/tscii:a92ed04fa1]

Vkrish
13th July 2006, 07:31 PM
Does anyone have any latest news of the music in much awaited movie "Shiva" and "Cheenikum" :)

Renault
13th July 2006, 08:16 PM
Yes Umaramesh, it includes Yuvan as well. I think he is right, though me being a big Yuvan fan myself.

rajdes
14th July 2006, 12:55 PM
Ramesh, Presumably yes. But I dont like the sound of it - This is like going the TMS way(Naangallam enna great padaippugal padaithom - ippovum varudhe, patta idhellam?). Hope IR doesnt become like the TMS of last 20 years.
I'd like to believe he was commenting on the trend rather than as a sweeping include-all statement. I'd like to believe that he recognises there are exceptions to this rule as well.I, for one, cant believe that Swades, Parthiban Kanavu, Album, KKS, even IR's own ONOK(or some songs in these albums) will not stay forever as fantastic songs.

umaramesh
14th July 2006, 01:32 PM
net net no one willing to accept change of taste or adoption to next generation. yes, IR himself faced it and declared KAALAM PADHIL SOLLUM. He is scoring for hindi movie after a long time.Expecting his feast.

regards
ramesh

Sanjeevi
14th July 2006, 01:53 PM
rajdes, you did not understand correcly the meaning from what IR told. He tells the fact. Consider a music director today, what he is doing? Rearranging, remodifying, retuning, recomposing or recombining from existing one or more. IR is telling something like that "No one can escape from heavy inspiration now a days". The is the hidden meaning got from IR's speech.

selvakumar
14th July 2006, 02:35 PM
[tscii:52effe7f33]
Guru to A R Rahman, Ilaiyaraaja says he always knew Rahman was a bright spark. “That’s why I took him into my troupe! My keyboard player was drunk so I told my team to get me a player from somewhere. They came back saying a little boy was there - I was okay with the 11-year-old!” he smiles. From placing his fingers on the keyboard to helping him play, he’s proud of his ‘little spark’ who has sure has gone places.

:clap: Great to hear this ! :thumbsup: [/tscii:52effe7f33]

Renault
14th July 2006, 07:39 PM
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1041187

Music genius serves up a feast
Preeti Raghunath
Wednesday, July 12, 2006 18:50 IST

[/tscii:18b903c864]

Indha Vishayam MADDY kku theriyuma :?: :?: :?:

rajdes
17th July 2006, 10:28 AM
Sanjeevi, thats the same as what I interpreted(read my post carefully). However, sans the interpretation, the statement by itself sounds like vintage-TMS is what I meant.What you sound like is as important as what you mean - not that IR cares.

krish244
17th July 2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks Karthik!

"There will be romantic numbers and lots of melodic, orchestrated numbers"

The above raises my expectations of this album! Lets see...

thanks,

Krishnan

thumburu
17th July 2006, 03:57 PM
This sunset syndrome of frustration is not new to IR. hE HAS BEEN LAMENTING ABOUT TODAYS MUSIC IN EVERY POSSIBLE interview since 1992 , when he lost the numero uno spot to younger breed . His "appalam oorugai", full meals "uvamai" have also gone as stale as his current music.
I dont have any expectation from this new Hindi movie. I wont be surprised if it has few of his yester year hits like "maanguyile","thaalaatta varuvaLo" ,"iLankaathu veesudhe" etc. hm........

vijayr
17th July 2006, 07:24 PM
This is a natural comment from most veterans, IR is no exception. Even the usually reticent SPB had commented about today's melodies/singers not doing full justice quite a few times. KJY had said it few times. But I dont think they will go to the extent of disparaging someone.TMS was probably a little too bitter.

balaji
17th July 2006, 10:20 PM
Well said Thumburu

It is only natural for veternas to make comments like this as we have seen such comments coming from Mannadey, SPB and Lata as well.

IR like MSV cannot stop working as it is their passion. IR with his talent and time can think of bringing in somthing different and new (not sure what that new is...). This is my only hope in his upcoming films. Even if it is one song in the album, I would be hppay (Not sure if producers would be happy)

Thanks
Bala

Hulkster
18th July 2006, 06:43 AM
IR has himself said he does not get inspired by the stories to produce anything that is IRlike..innovative...musically inclined yet attractive. Virumaandi managed to inspire Raaja to give songs that really touched the heart. Other than that(Thiruvasagam not counted) he has not really been "inspired"...Lets hope Cheeni Kum can inspire IR to give us songs that bear the IR trademark.

krish244
18th July 2006, 02:05 PM
IR prefers "Cheeni Kum":

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/article/23814.html

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
19th July 2006, 02:57 PM
One of the several news items about IR being in Bombay for recording "Cheeni Kum" songs:

http://in.news.yahoo.com/060713/48/65vej.html

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
20th July 2006, 03:24 PM
mmm..."Cheeni Kum" most likely will not (on Balki's insistence) have any fresh compositions. Old IR hits to be revived! Check the below link.

http://ww3.mid-day.com/news/city/2006/july/140645.htm

Looks like even SHIVA will have old IR (telugu) hits recycled.

thanks,

Krishnan

inetk
2nd February 2007, 07:57 PM
http://cheenikum.idealake.com/

irir123
2nd February 2007, 10:39 PM
hi - nothing on that site

inetk
3rd February 2007, 08:48 AM
There's a flash-based trailer that loads with some difficulty. The trailer itself is refreshingly interesting with some zingy bgm!

SVN
3rd February 2007, 04:49 PM
Quite an interesting trailer. The BGM was very fresh and cool. Towards the end there's a song (Cheeni Kum...) which is the 2007 version of "Mandram Vandha Thendralukku" in a female voice. Even after 20 years, the song sounds as if it belongs to this generation.

Must be an interesting album and movie to watch out for.

irir123
4th February 2007, 02:07 AM
the trailer is so slow, i cudnt make out anything from the audio!

ananth222
4th February 2007, 03:35 AM
the trailer took more than half an hour to download (and I'm on cable)! It looks good. Music sounds promising.

buddysathi
4th February 2007, 03:39 AM
The BGM looks too advanced for hindi audiences and by the time they realise the beauty of it, the movie will flop and IR forgotten!

Hulkster
4th February 2007, 08:25 AM
I am not sure about that but its good IR is remixing his old songs in a new flavour for them....i do not want IR to waste his energy producing music for people who do not want to understand WCM at all :evil:

irir123
4th February 2007, 11:27 PM
by all means, IMHO, IR shouldnt rehash his earlier tunes, even if someone requests/persuades him to do so - some of them work, some of them plain s*ck bigtime -

Sudalai
5th February 2007, 01:25 PM
I was searching for our Thalaivar's name...

associate producer, exec producer, line producer, sound recordist, art director, lyrics, editor, cinematographer (p.c.sreeram) appram our thalaivar (MD). :cry: :x :(

Idhu enna ulagamadaa saamy... ?? :evil:
[/img]

rajasaranam
5th February 2007, 07:06 PM
I was searching for our Thalaivar's name...

associate producer, exec producer, line producer, sound recordist, art director, lyrics, editor, cinematographer (p.c.sreeram) appram our thalaivar (MD). :cry: :x :(

Idhu enna ulagamadaa saamy... ?? :evil:
[/img]

Sudalai ithulla enna varuthaam ipdi thaana standardaa titles pottuttu irukaanga ella movieslayum. hero heroine apram technicians, apram "Md" , apram producer, apram finalaathaan director peru poduvaanga. they have followed the same standards i think. There is nothing to worry about. ithu enna BALA padama Titles start aagum bodhe "with the grand music of maestro Ilaiyaraaja" nnu poda :wink:

rajasaranam
6th February 2007, 09:10 PM
Audio Release Pannungappa :x I've watched this Trailer umpteen no. of times and the "Cheeni Kum" Song is very much promising :)

raja_fan
6th February 2007, 09:27 PM
The cheeni kum song is similar to "Pal Pal Pal.." song of Lage Raho.., in its starting format.

app_engine
6th February 2007, 11:34 PM
raja_fan, as someone already mentioned, it's a rearranged version of 'mandRam vandha thendRalukku' of mouna rAgam...

raja_fan
7th February 2007, 10:43 AM
app_engine,

Yes, I knew it. But I was commenting on the lyrics.

inetk
7th February 2007, 06:05 PM
Direct download link for the cheeni kum promo...in flv format. Google for a free flv player.

http://cheenikum.idealake.com/002.flv

kiru
9th February 2007, 03:23 AM
The soundtrack sounds really cool. Not overtly WCM but probably apt for the script. Even the retuned song is very sweet. One thing I have noticed is, when IR recycles the songs in Hindi, it sounds more 'sophisticated'. Maybe it is the mixing or maybe there really are new harmony layers or chords in it.

irir123
10th February 2007, 01:45 AM
http://www.raaja.com/film_projects.html

this site says audio is released ??!!

Hulkster
10th February 2007, 06:45 PM
Thats a error...the released part was there for about 2 months :D

vigneshram
14th February 2007, 02:13 PM
If "Cheeni kum" s gonna hit the screens in March, why haven't they released the audio yet?

Seekiram Audio release pannungappaa....

krish244
14th February 2007, 11:37 PM
Looks like the release of "Cheeni Kum" movie will be postponed to May. I guess this is due to a couple of other releases of Amitabh.

http://www.glamsham.com/movies/scoops/07/feb/10_cheeni_kum_nishabd_eklavya_amitabh_bachchan.asp

thanks,

Krishnan

irir123
15th February 2007, 03:15 AM
forget the movie - when is the audio slated for release ?

raja_fan
15th February 2007, 12:05 PM
Indha "Big-B" kku romba lollu ! Anju paisa pathu paisavukkellaam nadippaar pola irukku...varushathula evlo padam-paa ? Manusganukku aluppe illaiyaa ? :)

irir123
15th February 2007, 08:22 PM
"lollu" illai - alpathhanam!! his acting is so stylised, and his diction is so contrived (btw, he is known more for his diction than facial expressions/body language!), I wonder how and why he gets so much hype! ennavo, whatever, IR has given music - thats all that matters

irir123
15th February 2007, 08:25 PM
avarukku Rolls Royce evano gift seidhaanaam, avar maganuku kalyaanamam (idhu varaikkum, sarithhirathhil nadaiperadha oru arpudhamaana nigalchi!), every tom, d*ck and Harry website based in India is shamelessly campaigning for such artistically inclined newsitems!!

raja_fan
16th February 2007, 08:35 AM
Correct.
Avaroda naai kutti onnukku ponaalum adhai headlines-la NDTV /CNN-IBN solluvaanga !
Cinema paithiyathula naamale evlavo mel pola irukku :)

irir123
16th February 2007, 09:38 PM
http://www.rediff.com/movies/2007/feb/15msg.htm?q=np&file=.htm

not even God can help us!!

"Cinema paithiyathula naamale evlavo mel pola irukku" - every1 needs a hero - for example, Bush becomes a hero for he is protecting his motherland against 'enemies'

The only trouble in India, is we are so confused over our choice, that, inspite of having a fairly high percentage of educated people, we dont have discerning, deep-thinking people even amongst the public - plus this is all compounded by the cheap, junk, gross Indian media that has taken center-stage ever since internet became the lifeline for many

thumburu
17th February 2007, 04:33 PM
Amitabh is not the right candidate for Presidency as he is dangerously close to that seedy, shady Amarsingh and all those Samajwadi ShaniyangaL. I wish Kalaam continues as theres really nobody worthy of the highest office.

nickraman
19th February 2007, 07:29 AM
Saw the trailer.

Come on guys. RGV may have made IR look like crap, but after watching this trailer with awesome BGM, Raaja will bounce back.

A good star cast, plus good bgm = commercial success.

If Ravindra Jain, yesteryear composer can make the flop turned blockbuster Vivah popular then so can Raaja. I remember his Hey Ram was well appreciated.

irir123
19th February 2007, 08:03 AM
this is my observation/few cents: IR has adapted his BGM style with some subtle variations from his normal style to suit the wider-N.India-NRI audience, particularly the NRI audience- at least there were some motifs I noticed that IR usually doesnt use in movies down south - I doubt if the BGM will be leaning heavily towards the "character development" aspect, as it is not much appreciated above Vindhyas! it would nevertheles have IR stamp on it

rajasaranam
23rd February 2007, 05:19 PM
Nishabd's trailers--A movie with similar storyline are out
http://www.ourbollywood.com/2006/12/nishabd_trailer_online_now.html
http://www.bollywoodinsight.com/2007/02/09/Nishabd-Trailer.html
...and Nishabd may get an edge over Cheenikum if its released earlier :( People may not want to see the same kind of movie with the same lead actor too if they are released back to back....Hmmmm....

nickraman
25th February 2007, 03:43 AM
Nishabd's trailers--A movie with similar storyline are out
http://www.ourbollywood.com/2006/12/nishabd_trailer_online_now.html
http://www.bollywoodinsight.com/2007/02/09/Nishabd-Trailer.html
...and Nishabd may get an edge over Cheenikum if its released earlier :( People may not want to see the same kind of movie with the same lead actor too if they are released back to back....Hmmmm....

Nishabd is releasing NEXT FRIDAY. Cheeni Kum is releasing on May 27th.

That's a gap of 3 months to know and forget. But going by public reaction....looks like another flop for RGV.

irir123
25th February 2007, 10:04 AM
who bothers if "cheeni kum" flops or runs well ? looking at it rationally, whatever be the case, IR's case as far as bollywood is concerned is not gonna be strengthened even if CK runs well - you know how the media goes 'gaga' over amitabh - so if the movie runs well, amitabh's 'charisma' will drown whatever good work IR must have put into this movie - so lets not worry abt it - as a HCIRF all that matters to me is the score and the BGM!

Shankar
26th February 2007, 12:30 PM
irir,
Exactly my feelings too...Whatever this spent-force AB does, the media is gonna call him the "only saving grace" if the movie flops, or "AB charisma makes this a winner" if the movie is a hit. Raja will not even be mentioned in the reviews (except the ones written by subhash K Jha or some sensible guys). I for one, am not gonna bother about the movie or the performance of AB. If the score is good I will go to the movie hall and "listen".

irir123
26th February 2007, 10:22 PM
shankar - for once, I watched CK's trailer with an open mind just to see how AB acts ? even his dialogue delivery is so stylised and contrived, I wonder how he gets so much hype around him ? btw, dont miss "Letters from Iwo Jima" and "Last King of Scotland" - the former is one of the alltime great war movie classics ever made and the latter for Roger Whittaker's mindblowing performance

rajasaranam
6th March 2007, 10:43 PM
and here is the inside story about Nishabd
http://www.bollyvista.com/article/a/32/7367
hmmm why does balki takes such a long time to come up with the movie :cry:

rajasaranam
6th March 2007, 10:45 PM
news item on Cheeni kum
http://www.radiosargam.com/films/archives/2275/cheeni-kum-to-showcase-big-b%E2%80%99s-ponytail%E2%80%A6-cut-it.html

Wibha
25th May 2007, 11:17 AM
da songs r cool........ but y did IR use his same songs again :roll:

but jannea do naa is the best song of all.......... the same feel of the kannada song :clap: :cool:

kr
25th May 2007, 08:28 PM
Cheeni Kum is on the screens in Burlington County (Mt. Holly) Regal Cinemas - S shows daily beginning today

Anoushka
25th May 2007, 09:05 PM

but jannea do naa is the best song of all.......... the same feel of the kannada song :clap: :cool: Same question here... didn't realise there was a thread for cheeni kum till today...

have heard three songs: one is kuzhaloodhum kaNNanukku the second one is mandram vandha thendraluku and the third one is vizhiyilE maNi vizhiyil mouna mozhi.... any more songs? :)

crajkumar_be
25th May 2007, 09:18 PM

but jannea do naa is the best song of all.......... the same feel of the kannada song :clap: :cool: Same question here... didn't realise there was a thread for cheeni kum till today...

have heard three songs: one is kuzhaloodhum kaNNanukku the second one is mandram vandha thendraluku and the third one is vizhiyilE maNi vizhiyil mouna mozhi.... any more songs? :)
Wibha/Anoushka,
Its been said in many news articles and interviews that the director Balki specifically asked for those songs even when IR was prepared to compose original songs

vigneshram
26th May 2007, 11:33 AM

Wibha/Anoushka,
Its been said in many news articles and interviews that the director Balki specifically asked for those songs even when IR was prepared to compose original songs

Absolutely, most of music fans feel that Raja should have composed fresh songs for Cheeni Kum though Balki insisted on recycling his old tunes.
http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2007/05/tunes-recycled.html

Let's hope at least Balki's next project "Pa" has some fresh tunes

Anoushka
26th May 2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks for letting us know... I was just wondering that's all :)

nickraman
26th May 2007, 07:41 PM
According to IndiaFm, Shootout, the other release got a 90% openig but it is PANNED for it's violence. However, CK got a 30% start. A tad low but ladies are patronizing the film. Adarsh claims that the business for CK is picking up with later Friday shows and it so do well in the upcoming weekend.

nickraman
28th May 2007, 12:08 AM
http://indiafm.com/features/2007/05/26/2700/index.html

Cheeni Kum's album continues to step up chart wise! Now in 6th position!

Wibha
28th May 2007, 01:51 AM

Wibha/Anoushka,

oh :) thanks for clarifying the doubt :D

raja_fan
28th May 2007, 08:46 PM
Friends,

Please discuss in IR's new albums thread where already people have been discussing a lot about CK.

app_engine
21st September 2007, 01:44 AM
Looks like the audio quality isn't up to the mark in the DVD:-(
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65961

raja_fan
18th October 2007, 01:02 PM
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/009200710181240.htm

Why not Cheeni Kum ?
Ivanungalai thirutthave mudiyaadhu ! :banghead:

irir123
18th October 2007, 08:47 PM
raja_fan: why should they nominate CK ? what gives you the wildest idea that Bollywood nominations are about quality ? or for that matter, Kollywood or any other 'woods' in India ? if we are happy with IR's output, lets be satisfied with that and stay hopeful that IR will come up with better albums in the future - there is no use in grumbling

venkiks
18th October 2007, 10:56 PM
I agree with irir123's comments on Bollywood nominations and quality. Every body here is for publicity. I honestly think that even IR will not recommend nominating CK. After a very long time I listened to some hindi songs today, just the ones that were nominated. I think the songs are OK or even good compared to the crappy songs that are composed by our MDs in Tamil.

What do these MDs, including Rahman, think about originality, imagination, nativity, honesty etc. these days. Why even IR can't help us here and why only for Mallus?.