PDA

View Full Version : Best preludes of IR

S.Balaji
7th July 2006, 12:11 AM
Not sure whether this was analyzed in this portal :D

IMHO, IR pioneered this art !

Lets discuss his preludes here

The one immediately comes to my thoughts is for

NILAVONDRU KANDEN EN JANNALIL - from Kai rasi karan !

ganspb
7th July 2006, 03:34 AM
Nice Thread.

As soon as I saw the last message a song came to my mind.

ThenPoove - Anbulla Raginikanth.

What a prelude.Wonder Viji Manuel would have loved playing it the Keyboard during the recording.

svaisn
7th July 2006, 04:08 AM
Valai osai...

tmrrmt
7th July 2006, 05:38 AM
uravenum - n.killadhae
puthham pudhu - a. oivadhillai

mother of all preludes - ilamai idho idho - wat a rockin start to a dancing star!!

Hulkster
7th July 2006, 06:13 AM
You guys missed annan enna thambi enna song from dharma durai...the effect of the violins captivates you immediately.

Pithamagan's adadada had mesmerising percussions at the start followed by the trademark IR violins.

Renault
7th July 2006, 07:11 AM
Couple of things that come to mind:

1. Pattu Kannam (Kaakki sattai)
2. Vaaniley Thenila (same film) - It starts with a quick tempo and the same is maintained throughout the song.

Who can forget Raakkamma .. the most loved and popular prelude as well.

Hulkster
7th July 2006, 09:37 AM
Yes...the starting guitar piece is just like contemporary latin music...followed by the fast tempo violins...IR was one of the very few composers who could actually make a fast paced mass song sound both attractive and at the same time musically inclined.

njv
7th July 2006, 10:08 AM
mother of all preludes - ilamai idho idho - wat a rockin start to a dancing star!! :thumbsup:

Also prelude of nee paartha paarvaikoru nandri - it is not qualified to be called prelude. it itself is a seperate compostion altogether

NormalMan
7th July 2006, 10:49 AM
My favorite is, "vaanam kizhe ..." from Thoongathe Thambi Thoongathe. Amazing one ....

krish244
7th July 2006, 11:28 AM
Tmrrmt, I was about to mention "Nee paartha...".

Hulkster, everytime I hear the prelude and interludes (especially the first one) of "Annan enna thambi", the appreciation for IR's talent grows by leaps and bounds.

Anyway, I think the list will go on and on. Lets keep it going. The ones that instantly comes to my mind are

1) "Sangeetha megam..." - Amazing prelude that is!
2) Even "Then madurai..." song from Dharmathin Thalaivan has got a good prelude.

thanks,

Krishnan

kj
7th July 2006, 02:26 PM
imho the ultimate prelude from Raja is in the song Poongathave Talthiduva from Nizhalgal..ive had some close to knockout/high/ecstatic experiences after listening to this prelude..the violin crescendo followed by veena...AWESOME

jaiganes
7th July 2006, 02:46 PM
Dont forget the classic prelude to "Madai thirandhu " from Nizhalgal and the sweet , yet melancholic one for "Azhagiya kannae" from Uthiri-p-pookkal. Prelude is the glue that sticks the song to the preceding narration. For a prelude to really work in the movie, the script writer and director also must have contributed helluva lot. Looking back at what we have compiled so far, it is very clear what directors like Mahendran, Bharathiraja and Kamal Hassan can contribute to the music of the movie.

Sanjeevi
7th July 2006, 03:18 PM
Nice thread :D

All the songs mentioned above have excellent preludes. And i remember here preludes having humming by singers. Suddenly i got the following threesongs.

1) Idyam oru kovil
2) Nilava vaa
3) Naan thedum sevvanthi poo

the list will grow

S.Balaji
7th July 2006, 04:51 PM
mother of all preludes - ilamai idho idho - wat a rockin start to a dancing star!! :thumbsup:

Also prelude of nee paartha paarvaikoru nandri - it is not qualified to be called prelude. it itself is a seperate compostion altogether

IMO, Kanmaniye kathal enbadhu karpanayo has one of the best preludes .........rather very lengthy ....like Uravenum pudhiya vaanil !

buggle
7th July 2006, 05:59 PM
I would add Meetatha Oru Veenai from Poonthottam.
The song is in Reethi gowla ragam, but the prelude and interlude with violin, veenai and the drums is still my favorite...

thamizhvaanan
7th July 2006, 06:05 PM
the first one that comes to my mind... "thalattudhey ..." . right from the first minute the song rocks and the prelude is just as good as it can get.

and "nilave vaa" :thumbsup: very very soothing song with an equally fitting prelude. actually there are more to say, but rite now i am lost in numbers.

thamizhvaanan
7th July 2006, 06:09 PM
and how can anyone forget, "poo malaiye thol seravaa" wonderful pace, mindblowing orchestration!!! simply mindblowing!!

Vkrish
7th July 2006, 06:34 PM
Nice topic.

"Oliyile Therivadhu". A very imaginative piece which very well merges with the screen. One more which comes to my mind, is the most simple but mindblowing number "Povoma Oorlkoolam". Simply amazing !!!

S.Balaji
7th July 2006, 07:12 PM
Nice thread :D

All the songs mentioned above have excellent preludes. And i remember here preludes having humming by singers. Suddenly i got the following threesongs.

1) Idyam oru kovil
2) Nilava vaa
3) Naan thedum sevvanthi poo

the list will grow

Sanjeevi

Nice ! :D

When you mentioned about humming as preludes, I recollected Devan kovil deepam ondru ! lovely preludes from Sj & Surendher

& not to forget - Paadvaa un paadalai , one of the best preludes of IR :D , scintillating humming from SJ !

thumburu
7th July 2006, 07:16 PM
I would say every song of IR has the best prelude except the ones which start off directly with lyrics like "enna satham" or "kovil mani oosai".
Anyway just now Iam listening to "solai poovil maalai thendral" and "Oh maane maane" from Vellai Roja. Just listen to the prelude of these 2 songs.I can bet no IFM MD can even conceive something even remotely close to these beauties.

S.Balaji
7th July 2006, 07:36 PM
Coming back to humming preludes ................ Ennuyire vaa enuyire ( Poonthotta kaval karan ( has a terrific chorus / humming prelude with Chitra taking off with chorus thararam thararam as BG was quite innovative ! unique of its kind

tvsankar
7th July 2006, 07:42 PM
In Avadharam,

1.Thendral vandhu theendum podhu

2.Chandhiranum sooriyanum

In Jhony,

all the songs are gems

But my favourite for this topic is

"En vanilae orae vennila "

thamizhvaanan
7th July 2006, 09:53 PM
Nice topic.

"Oliyile Therivadhu". A very imaginative piece which very well merges with the screen. One more which comes to my mind, is the most simple but mindblowing number "Povoma Oorlkoolam". Simply amazing !!!

yea I remember "poovoma oorkolam" (dont have that song). my friends chithappa is the flutist in IR troupe (Napolean). He always says his flute bit in this song is among his favourites. to be counted as fav among countless gems, this must be really special. IMO, IR's flute peices are way too good, be it in prelude or interlude :D .

app_engine
8th July 2006, 01:09 AM
Balaji, `sweet' kadai thodangi irukkureenga:-) vAzhththukkaL!

A couple of rare yet sweet preludes, both from `ArAdhanai', a very less known Suman movie...

`iLam pani thuLi vizhum nEram' - listen to the bass guitar - lead guitar combo...mesmerising! The first interlude of this song is a kind of WCM lesson...with accelearting strings leading to a grand piano culmination! Throughout the song there's grand bass guitar as well as other strings' threads...

`oru kungumachchengamalam' - Unusually short yet very sweet flute prelude.

ivaiyellAm bass-guitar'in poRkAlaththil vandha pAdalgal allavA? inimaikkuppanjamillai!

app_engine
8th July 2006, 01:26 AM
Another rare prelude, for the song `vAnengum thanga viNmeengaL vizhi imai mooda' in moondRAm piRai...very sweet but not paid attention to by many...I think the movie itself opens to this prelude on screen (I'm not sure, though...I remember the scene a kind of sooryOdhayam, sea shore, Sridevi walking etc)...

The music reflects the mood on screen, in fact brings the whole environ to your mind by the slow tempo of the piano - starting sounds, followed by accompaniment of the flute. Then begins the bass guitar, synth, Janaki group in full flow, then a chorus with more powerful bass guitar sounds leading to a fantastic climax of trumpets blowing to start the song!

Also listen to the first interlude of this song, which I consider to be among the top ones from Raja...

app_engine
8th July 2006, 01:39 AM
Comparisons are inevitable...a quick trip to the bass guitar scores `vAnil oru dheepAvaLi' brings nostalgic memories and the lack of them in some of the recent Raja hits...I was listening to the sweet `pattu cholli, pAdachcholli' from azhagi the other day...though having unique rhythm arrangements very different from the monotonous arrangements of current MD's, this song could've reached greater heights with some non-keyboard bass guitar scores, IMHO...

kamal133
8th July 2006, 01:44 AM
Best preludes by IR,

Satriyan - Maalayil Yaaro Manothodu pesa...
Unnai Vazhthi Padukirein - Kalai Kuyilkaley...

popeye11
8th July 2006, 02:24 AM
One more to add to the list

Adhikalai subavelai - KJY and Janaki - Not sure abt the movie name

Amazing start..

popeye11
8th July 2006, 02:26 AM
Not sure if this song is popular but it has amazing prelude.

Manamadhurai - KOVIL KALAI

Watcha guys think

popeye11
8th July 2006, 02:33 AM
One more WOOHOO this is the ultimate

Satham Varamal - My Dear Mathandan

kingvj
8th July 2006, 04:17 AM
My list..

1. Ennamma Kannu - Mr. Bharath.. a wonderful piece of guitar/violon/trumphet combo going hammer and tongs
2. netru indha naeram - TikTikTik (give me this song any day)
3. Vaa vaa pakkam vaa - ThangaMagan .. i cant imagine this song was composed in early 80s.!!
4. Senorita - Johnny.. its THE song for guitar
5. Sundari Kannaal - Thalapathi
6. Raakkamma - Thalapathi
7. Mannar Mannanaey - Mannan (IMO, it is THE song which started the political ambitions of Rajini)
8. Manidha Manidha - Kann Sivandhaal Mann Sivakkum..
9. Ennullaey Ennullaey - Valli
10. Maharajanodu - Sathi Leelavathi..

that's it atleast for now.

venus05
8th July 2006, 06:34 AM
Mazhai Varuvathu Mayilukku theriyum - SJ - Rishi Moolam.

Duration of the prelude in this song is 53 seconds. The instrumnts used in this prelude are Veenai, Flute, Guitar, Piano, Violin. If you are an IR fan and did not listen to this song, then it is not fair.

Highlights
-Listen to the first interlude. Few seconds of violins reminds me off How to name it.
- Listen to the repeat notes of fast paced piano
- Repetiton og veena notes by Guitar
- In the charanams SJ sing without taking breath close to 20 seconds.

Thanks.

tvsankar
8th July 2006, 12:32 PM
Poomalai oor pavai anadhae -- nice prelude !!!

tvsankar
8th July 2006, 12:39 PM
In film Guru(tamil)
Endhan kannil ezhulagangal -- Beautiful voice by SJ Nice prelude

tvsankar
8th July 2006, 12:55 PM
LIst aga than solla vendum !!!

1.Kadhal ennum kovil -- Kazhugu

2.Naan koduthadhai by MSV -- Maaveera

3. Oh endhan vaazhvilae

4.Meendum meendum vaa -- Vikram

(Beautiful flute)

kj
8th July 2006, 02:03 PM
check out the prelude of mounamana neram. How aptly Raja has used silence in the prelude and also throughout the song.Also some great bass lines. He is a freakin genoius.

S.Balaji
8th July 2006, 02:12 PM
Balaji, `sweet' kadai thodangi irukkureenga:-) vAzhththukkaL!

A couple of rare yet sweet preludes, both from `ArAdhanai', a very less known Suman movie...

`iLam pani thuLi vizhum nEram' - listen to the bass guitar - lead guitar combo...mesmerising! The first interlude of this song is a kind of WCM lesson...with accelearting strings leading to a grand piano culmination! Throughout the song there's grand bass guitar as well as other strings' threads...

`oru kungumachchengamalam' - Unusually short yet very sweet flute prelude.

ivaiyellAm bass-guitar'in poRkAlaththil vandha pAdalgal allavA? inimaikkuppanjamillai!

God !! how did I miss ILAM PANI THULIR VIZUM :D

IMO, one of the top 20 preludes of Raja !!

Unga all time favourite Vaanengum thanga vinmeengal ! Idhayum vidala neenga :D

Another one to my thoughts now is PON OVIYAM KANDEN AMMA ENGENGUM - excellent humming preludes from SJ & Raja himself !

Now a request to all ............. Can someone give links for the prelude music of IR pls ? :D

S.Balaji
8th July 2006, 02:16 PM
check out the prelude of mounamana neram. How aptly Raja has used silence in the prelude and also throughout the song.Also some great bass lines. He is a freakin genoius.

KJ

Nice recollection ! Indeed IR used silence effectively .... Rather this PAUSE effect was maximised by Raja only IMO

S.Balaji
8th July 2006, 02:19 PM
Mazhai Varuvathu Mayilukku theriyum - SJ - Rishi Moolam.

Duration of the prelude in this song is 53 seconds. The instrumnts used in this prelude are Veenai, Flute, Guitar, Piano, Violin. If you are an IR fan and did not listen to this song, then it is not fair.

Highlights
-Listen to the first interlude. Few seconds of violins reminds me off How to name it.
- Listen to the repeat notes of fast paced piano
- Repetiton og veena notes by Guitar
- In the charanams SJ sing without taking breath close to 20 seconds.

Thanks.

Venus ,

No doubt it was an outstanding prelude with a terrific combination of Flute & veena !

Anaa oru vayasaana K.R.Vijayava thevai illaama slow motionla ooda vittu picturisationa totalla spoil panitaanga :cry:

kj
8th July 2006, 02:35 PM
aagaya gangai from dharma yudham nice prelude with the humming n an electric guitar playing a carnatic tune...

kj
8th July 2006, 02:38 PM
a hyper cool jazzy prelude is appapa thithikkum from kalyanaraman in japan

kj
8th July 2006, 02:41 PM
a very different/unusual prelude in naguva nayana from pallavi anu pallavi.

kj
8th July 2006, 02:48 PM
yedho moham,ponvaana poongavil , OK ive decided ive posted enough im gonna stop..the list would be endless.nice topic.

kj
8th July 2006, 02:57 PM
ok couldnt resisit..just one last post..thamthana thamthana.ofcourse and then the preulde of vacha paarvai from ilamai kolam..starts of with jazz style sax becomes some sort of hard rock and then ends becoming folkish...i love this song..imo this is the first gaana song in tfm..and what a classy gaana song.

venus05
8th July 2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks S.Balaji.

I did not see the movie. I think it was Mahendran's drama and was made into a movie later. I heard that it had a good story line. Looks like an example of badly picturised IR's gems.

There is an another song in the same movie by TMS and PS
"Naeramithu Maeramithu nenjil oru".

This song has 23 second prelude only on Piano and violin.
This movie has another song "nenjill ulla kaiyam ondru" by PJ. This one is an example of "one of the unnoticed gems"

In the movie Guru the following songs have good prelude

1. Aadungal paadungal - Starts with bell like instrument and then moves into lalla..la..lalla...by kids. If you listen carrfully, kids chorous has nice counterpoint.

2. Naan vanangugiran sabaile by SJ.
Prelude is nothing but a treat for percussion lovers.

Thanks.

tvsankar
9th July 2006, 12:40 PM
Asai adhigam vechu from Marubadiyum

Kannan vandhu padugiran --- Rettai vaal kuruvi

Monnamae mounmaen yen -- En jeevan paduddhu

Naan undhan thayaga vendum -- Ullasa paravaigal

Azhagiya malargalin - '' ''

Azhagu ayiram - ''''

Germaniyin sendhen malarae

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

tvsankar
9th July 2006, 12:57 PM
Iru paravaigal from Niram maara pookal --- indha padalill, chorus, violins, guitar, flute , key board enru ellavidha sound um varum !!!! These combinations are Used by IR is very pretty !!!!!

with Love,
Usha Sankar.

Nakeeran
10th July 2006, 04:35 PM
Super thread ! :D

On preludes or interludes or postludes - noone can beat IR !

Probably here is one area which he did better than MSV .

My immediate choice will be the preludes for Aanandha ragam ketkum kalam - Paneer pushpangal

& the magnificent start to Vaa vennila ! :D

MusicIsLife
10th July 2006, 08:17 PM
Brahma songs have amazing preludes especially varudhu varudhu ilam kaatru.

app_engine
11th July 2006, 10:06 PM
Add the `sAmakkOzhi, Ai, koovudhammA' prelude to the list. Though it's kind of racy, it so beautifully creates the `night mood'. Raja in his great elements in this album (poNNu oorukku pudhusu), trying a number of tricks in orchestration...(like lead guitar plus uRumi background in one of the OrampO interludes)...

Please also look for interesting bass guitar score for the sAmakkOzhi prelude...

kamal133
12th July 2006, 12:07 AM
All the songs in Agni Natchathiram and Moonram Pirai have very good preludes.

thumburu
13th July 2006, 02:33 PM
Though not a lengthy one, the prelude music for "Allah un aaNai padi" is very different with the sound of mosque followed by the sound of temple bells , then followed by an unexpected type of music in some instrument which Iam not able to make out , along with synth drums

umaramesh
13th July 2006, 05:48 PM
I dont remember the movie. THEN POOVEA POOVEA VAA .amazing guitar interlude with flute. classic rendtion from SPB-SJ.

NEETHANE ENN POON VASANTHAM
prelude of CHINNA KANNAN AZHAIKIRAN
Prelude of SENTHOORA POOVAE

ramesh

Nakeeran
13th July 2006, 05:54 PM
I dont remember the movie. THEN POOVEA POOVEA VAA .amazing guitar interlude with flute. classic rendtion from SPB-SJ.

ramesh

Its Anbulla Rajinikanth , but not for RK . I think that Lata's brother & Ambi :D

Vkrish
13th July 2006, 07:43 PM
I dont know whether anyone mentioned this...but here is one more. "Ennulle Ennulle " from film Valli had a very lenthy percussion followed by beautiful guiter preludes. a ultimately mesmerizing tune

buggle
13th July 2006, 07:44 PM

NEETHANE ENN POON VASANTHAM
prelude of CHINNA KANNAN AZHAIKIRAN
Prelude of SENTHOORA POOVAE

ramesh

THEN POOVEA POOVEA VAA rendition by Krishna Chandar and SJ, not SPB

app_engine
13th July 2006, 07:57 PM
buggle,
thEn poovE poovE vA thendRal thEdi is by SPB/SJ. 100%!

buggle
13th July 2006, 09:23 PM
That's what i thought app, but check these links
http://www.rajinikanth.com/songs/anbullarajinikanth.htm
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000397.html
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.4212/

app_engine
14th July 2006, 08:30 PM
Often these websites give inaccurate info.

`manivaththooril 1000 sivarAthrigaL' song was erroneously credited to Raja as a `pappayude swantham appoos' song in music india or raaga.com... It's by MPS actually.

I stopped trusting them long back for info related to TFM. Our own "song stats" thread is much more reliable, with veterans like Ramki contributing excellent, accurate info. (Manisekaran is another TFM encyclopaedia)

Another problem with the web is the propagation of the error (oruththarai pArththu innoruththar repeat seigiRarkaL...sorry to refer you, ippO neenga seiRa adhE mAdhiriyE web content developers do too...`music india site thappA irukkAdhu'nnu oru superstition dhAn)

However, for `thEn poovE poovE vA', I don't have to even ask or search, since I know for sure. I've heard the song 100's of times in Radio and I've seen the movie. No need to look around the web.

Enga sir, SPB'kkum KC'kkum kooda vithyAsam theriyAma iththana varushamA pAttu kEkkuROmA? idhE oru vELai KJY / JC'nnA sila samayam confusion varalAm:-))

website thAn nambuveengannA, indha link pArungO http://www.raaja.com/ric/film/FL000049.html

venus05
23rd July 2006, 10:28 PM
Ullangal inbathil aadattum - By IR - Kavarimaan - 1979

Excellent Prelude including humming of the pallavi(~1 Mt). Amazing Guitar chords(Jazzy??).

Rakki muthu Rakku Rakku - SPB - Yejaman (~ 35 secs)
Treat for percussion lovers.

Kan Malarkalin Azhaipithal - By IR - Thai Pongal(??)
In TFM forum I read that this song was an inspiration from ABBA's "Money Money".
Thanks.

kr
28th July 2006, 01:44 AM
Enna Sugamana Ulagam - Gharjanai
Sinoreta - Johny
Thithikkum - Kali
Menn Vizhi - Karumbu Vil

nilavupriyan
28th July 2006, 10:03 AM
whats a prelude?..which part of a song?

venus05
28th July 2006, 10:03 AM
Edho mogam Etho Thagam... Kozhi Koovuthu Krishna Chandran and SJ..Excellent Violin, Flute, Chorous and Guitar. you need to listen to it to beleive it.

Nillo onru kandaen en jannalil-
Length of the prelude is ~50 secs. Listen to the repeated notes by violin, keyboard , Flute and to end with solo Guitar.
Thanks.

app_engine
28th July 2006, 08:45 PM
nilavu,

"prelude", as the meaning of the term indicates is the instrumental part that `pre'cedes the pallavi. (You can visualize as a instrumental `prefix' to the vocal part)

thumburu
29th July 2006, 05:08 PM
pattakathi Bhairavan- How stupid can a movie get and how wasted can the 2 precious gems of songs go?
Devadhai oru devadhai - In the prelude, the flute punctuated by guitar strums and the step by step progression of violin is such an aural treat . The flute and voilins thru out the interludes [ 3 of them ] are also woven with great artistry. IR at his romantic best!!!

Engengo sellum - Has lots of synth, violins and guitar . But the melody and the genius composition take my breath away even today

kr
30th July 2006, 01:06 AM
I recently listened to "Andhi Mazhai" from Raja Paarvai.

I was recollecting to the days when I first listened to the song when it came. When you listened to the prelude - it was so new and trendy and it blew you away. Did anyone else have the same feeling?

The prelude in the movie was even better as it starts with the kids in orphanage singing a rhyme "panimazhai".

I hope some of the guys who say senseless things about IR could have lived through those days and why it is so impossible for people like me to compare the impact of IR songs to those that are being appreciated these days.

Music4Ever
31st July 2006, 01:10 AM
"I hope some of the guys who say senseless things about IR could have lived through those days and why it is so impossible for people like me to compare the impact of IR songs to those that are being appreciated these days."

Since it refers to the past wish (not hope) may be more appropriate. Andhi mazhai is an excellent song but your subtle degrading of other more modern MDs is not nice. No wonder there are attacks on IR. :cry:

app_engine
17th August 2006, 07:39 PM
While `vizhilyilE malarndhadhu' has a magnum opus 2nd interlude, how can one forget the melancholic yet majestic prelude?

Within a matter of few seconds, Raja is demonstrating his passion for orchestration...starts with a youthful lead guitar indulgence that can capture the attention of any listener but before one realises it's stopped to give way to the melancholic flute, well supported by one of IR's trademark percussion sounds...(edhaikkuththi ippadi oru sound uNdAkkinArkaL?...)

And in perfect timing, the flute sound dies off...allowing a set of violins to create such a powerful, majestic impact with just 3 notes..chum-chum-chAm...!

Any day I would rate this song among the top in TFM, for orchestration!

tvsankar
18th August 2006, 11:38 AM
Dear app_engine,
vizhiyilae malarndhadhu padaluku link irukiradha? i want the link pl !!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

app_engine
18th August 2006, 08:13 PM
Usha chEchi, please try this:

http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=54270

venus05
19th August 2006, 07:39 AM
Chandirarum Suriyarum
- From Avatharam - by IR

~ 26 seconds of Western classic style prelude
In this prelude you can listen to the excellent combination of violins, Brass section, Drums, Double Bass.

The whole song is an amazing mixture of western classic style arragements and indian folk melody. A seamless fusion of western classic and Indian folk. Few years ago there was one whole thread in this forum dedicated to the discussion of this song.

The array of the instruments used in this song is something to be noted. Flute,oboe,Trumpet, Bells, Xylaphone, Violin, Double bass, Drums. I always thought that this song was a hang over of this unreleased symphony(both were composed around the same time).

thumburu
21st August 2006, 05:52 PM
venus, I agree with everything you said about the orchestration of "Chandirarum suriyarum". This song should be a lesson for wcm in tfm. But the same cannot be said about his singing. Another marvellous song that did not get its due due to Raja's over confidence. The charanam has very interesting flow and calls for a singer of SPB's caliber. hm....... !!!

bobgalee
26th August 2006, 02:40 PM
well

how can i miss my entry here for MEGAM KOTTATTUM - the ALL TIME
EVERGREEN RAIN SONG from ENAKKUL ORUVAN which has

a RACY PRELUDE
outstandin choreography
and lyrix by Vairamuthu

app_engine
26th September 2006, 10:18 PM
After a long time I got a chance to taste again the `garjanai' songs, thanks to this link:
http://rajinifans.com/others/mp3.asp

Wow!
All the songs have exotic preludes!! Especially the thuLLal thay have relate to the thuLLal period of my life and thus made my day today! Spirit really soars when you listen to the starting of `oru ooril oru maharANi', especially the roaring synth-guitar!

These songs are tution classes for anyone who want to try fusion music...

raaja_rasigan
27th September 2006, 04:28 PM
How about the preludes of:

sundari kannal oru sedhi - thalapathi

poomalayeh thoal seravaa - pagal nilavu (murali - revathi)

These 2 are among my all time fav's :!:

raaja_rasigan
28th September 2006, 01:01 PM
One more good prelude:

vechukkava - Nallavanukku nallavan 8-)

alwarpet_andavan
28th September 2006, 01:16 PM
One more good prelude:

In the same movie, the prelude of "Unnaithaane"...

vasanth2006
28th September 2006, 09:12 PM

very good prelude..... i will picturise with murali running in the forest. superb prelude

padavanthathor oru from ilamai kalangal has very good prelude.

that starting chorus is very mesmerising in that song.

Nerd
29th September 2006, 01:58 AM
Movie: Ivann

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000435.html

Last song: 00:00 -- 00:35.

I think this piece of music comes in the middle of the song in the movie.

Another one nee paarththa paarvaikku from hey raam. What a composition !! :thumbsup:

m_23_bayarea
29th September 2006, 02:11 AM
One more good prelude:

In the same movie, the prelude of "Unnaithaane"...

Beautiful song !! :D :D

Sanjeevi
29th September 2006, 02:32 AM
Thathom Thalanku Thathoom

Move : Vetri Vizha

raaja_rasigan
29th September 2006, 09:31 AM

super hit velli, sun tv 8-)

raaja_rasigan
29th September 2006, 09:36 AM
one of the best preludes:

The music gives the feel of the situation to follow:

Nizhalgal - Idhu oru pon maalai pozhudhu 8-)

This has good interlude too (like all most all Raaja's music)

raaja_rasigan
29th September 2006, 09:40 AM

very good prelude..... i will picturise with murali running in the forest. superb prelude

I just want to remind u all an interlude in this poomalayeh thoal seravaa song, that comes before the line:

Naan unai ninaikkaadha naal illaiye......

Murali's pose for this & the capturing of this scene, such a simple & beauty. Raaja's voice is apt for murali. 8-)

raaja_rasigan
29th September 2006, 01:04 PM
one more for the day:

Idhaya thamarai:

Oru kaadhal devathai boomiyil vandhaal 8-)

melody at its best, when u r in feel of love :D

Nakeeran
29th September 2006, 01:10 PM
The preludes of Nenje Un aasai enna are like in Cowboy movie type ! Baba ba baba . O Great :D

raaja_rasigan
29th September 2006, 02:40 PM
The preludes of Nenje Un aasai enna are like in Cowboy movie type ! Baba ba baba . O Great :D

idhu endha padam :?:

buggle
29th September 2006, 04:51 PM
one more for the day:

Idhaya thamarai:

Idhaya thamarai - music by Shankar Ganesh not IR

thamizhvaanan
29th September 2006, 04:58 PM
oru kili urugudhu :thumbsup:

oru kiliyin thanimaiyiley siru kiliyin uravu.... amazing prelude!!! beautiful bass guitar. gr8 orchestration in that short peice overall :D .

raaja_rasigan
29th September 2006, 05:03 PM
one more for the day:

Idhaya thamarai:

Idhaya thamarai - music by Shankar Ganesh not IR

O I C :roll:

until this minute Iam thinking IR as its MD & hearing this song.
So what... without IR's inspiration they couldn't have done this song.

ramky
1st October 2006, 03:01 PM
:clap:

one of the best preludes:
The music gives the feel of the situation to follow:
Nizhalgal - Idhu oru pon maalai pozhudhu 8-)
This has good interlude too (like all most all Raaja's music)

:thumbsup:

oru kili urugudhu :thumbsup:
oru kiliyin thanimaiyiley siru kiliyin uravu.... amazing prelude!!! beautiful bass guitar. gr8 orchestration in that short peice overall :D .

:exactly:

nilavupriyan
2nd October 2006, 12:20 PM
nilavu,

"prelude", as the meaning of the term indicates is the instrumental part that `pre'cedes the pallavi. (You can visualize as a instrumental `prefix' to the vocal part)

what is an interlude???

the intrumental part that comes between the song?

ramky
2nd October 2006, 12:41 PM
nilavupriyan : its a short piece, usually instrumental, inserted in the main composition or song.

app_engine
2nd October 2006, 07:36 PM
nilavu,
interlude (per DF terms) is the instrumental part that comes between pallavi & saraNams...You'll often see people writing about 1st interlude, the special extra Raja punch in the second interlude etc...(and the chorus humming in such and such interlude...)

To avoid one more question, the guitar piece that comes toward the end in 'iLaya nilA' is postlude:-))

thamizhvaanan
7th October 2006, 07:45 PM
One of my all time fav preludes of IR .... Kadhal kavidhaigal padaithidum neram from Gopura vasaliley. The song itself is ebullient and the prelude is nothing short of that. The grand ascension of violins, amazing orchestration... simply superb :thumbsup:

Likewise the prelude and interludes of the song "Thalaattudey vaanam" ... absolutely terrific. I wish one day I watch this song being played by a skillful orchestra... the way in which each of the instruments blend and lead to the other is simply..... stunning!!! :notworthy:

Sanjeevi
7th October 2006, 11:46 PM
Thalattu maari ponathey
En kannil thookam ponathey
Pen poovae vanthadu
En nenjai kondadu

What a prelude with mindblowing flute music

thumburu
9th October 2006, 04:00 PM
Yesterday, I listened to one of my dilapidated old cassettes where we had recorded few IR songs directly from the radio during my school days. What can I say about the prelude of one rare song "kaalangaL mazhai kaalangaL" sung by MV and SJ? It starts with a xylaphone sound that was used often during IR's good old days, followed by a lengthy flute and background violins. One can actually hum this prelude

bpk
14th October 2006, 10:39 AM
excellent preludes in

pesakoodathu(SPB & PS) from aduthavarisu

kannane nee vara kathirunthen from Thenral ennai thodu
pudhiya poovidhu from the same movie has amazing prelude.

Rojavai thalathum from ninaivellam nithya

pani vizhum iravu from mounaraagam(both prelude and interludes)

bpk
14th October 2006, 10:51 AM
Thenral varum ennai anaikum
en vaasal engum poo mazhai
en vaazhkai engum valarpirai
Thenral varum

An excellent melody (prelude is amazing)
Anybody listened to this song(starring mohan) tell me other details like movie name,MD.

I didnt know the MD its like a typical IR song.

narayanan
23rd November 2006, 08:49 PM
1. Engengo Sellum from Pattakathi Bairavan has a fantastic guitar prelude, listen this prelude on headphone you can feel the movement across L-R.
2. 'Metti Oli Kaatrodu' from 'Metti'.
3. 'Sandhana Kaatre' from 'Thanikaatu Raaja'
4. Senthazham Poovil from Mullum Malarum
5. Bhoopalam Isaikkum from Thooral Ninnu Pochu
6. Hey Unnaithane from Kadhal Parisu
7. Paadi Vaa Thendrale from Mudivilla Aarambam
8. Pothi Vecha Malligai from Mann Vasanai
9. Sempoove Poove from Siraichalai
10. Poonkatru Pudhiranadhu from Moondram Pirai
11. Ilamai Enum from Pagalil oru Iravu
12. Athikalai Nerame from Meendum oru Kadhal Kadhai
13. Dhoorathil Naan from Nizhalgal
14. Mazhai Varudhu from Raja Kaiya Vecha
15. Kanavil Midhakkum from EVK
16. En Gaanam from EVK
17. All songs from Agni Natchathiram
18. Thodatha Thalam from Anand
19. Medhuva Medhuva from Annanagar Mudhal Theru
20. Iravu Nilavu from Anjali
21. Poongodithan Poothadhamma from Idhayam

will add more :)

narayanan
24th November 2006, 10:02 AM
22. Vaanam Thodadha Megam from Chinnappadas
23. Thenmadurai from Dharmathin Thalaivan
24. Thenpandi Thamizhe from Paasa Paravaigal
25. Sanga Thamizh Kaviye from Manadhil Urudhi Vendum
26. Vanuyarndha Solayile from Idhaya Kovil
27. Edho Ninaivugal from Agal ViLakku

popeye11
25th November 2006, 02:54 AM
"Medhuva Medhuva from Annanagar Mudhal Theru"

Narayanan i think ANMT was not done by Maestro.. Guess it was by Chandrabose.. Please correct me if iam wrong. Either way its a beautiful melody!

popeye11
25th November 2006, 02:56 AM
Adho Andha Nadhiyoram - Ezhai Jaadhi has a fantastic prelude..

vigneshram
25th November 2006, 09:28 AM
"Medhuva Medhuva from Annanagar Mudhal Theru"

Narayanan i think ANMT was not done by Maestro.. Guess it was by Chandrabose.. Please correct me if iam wrong. Either way its a beautiful melody

Yeah ANMT was by Chandrabose....

japsivakumar
14th January 2007, 10:08 AM
The prelude that interested me recently is from film Muratu kalai song 'Puthu vannagal pongidum' ..

Is the Revolutionary 'Rakkamma Kaiya thattu' missed in this listed?

saraks
14th January 2007, 03:47 PM
Chella Kuzhandaigale from My dear Kutti Chathan. The way the violins go like waltz...It is just majestic(for lack of a better word) mainly the 15 seconds....

On similar lines is Pootukal Potalum....The song as a whole is an all out masterpiece...divine

Dragun
3rd February 2007, 07:38 AM
I love the prelude to En Kannukoru Nilavaa. Its a very simple interlude, but the female chorus, string part, and flute are very beautiful.

unhappyboy
27th March 2007, 12:29 AM
Not sure if it's posted earlier, but the best prelude is 'andhi mazhai' from raaja paarvai.

dakaltiz
27th March 2007, 12:49 PM
Not sure if you guys have already posted these..

1.Ilamai ennum poongatru..
2. Putham puthu kaalai
Wonderful preludes which sets the mood of the song well

tfmlover
31st March 2007, 06:46 AM
many good ones , already been posted
include these too pls

en iniya pon -moodu pani
pesa koodaathu -adutha vaarisu
chinnap pura ondru ennak kanaavinil -anbe sangeetha
thanksvacha paarvai theerathadi -Ilamaik kolam
sammadham thanthiten nambu - kaadhal devathai IR or GA ?

balaji
31st March 2007, 08:13 AM
mazai tharumo en megam -manithril ithanai nirangala

==> Shyam ache..

Bala

tfmlover
31st March 2007, 12:29 PM
mazai tharumo en megam -manithril ithanai nirangala

==> Shyam ache..

Bala

yes ! shyam bala..
sangeetha megamum mazai megamum maari pochu thanks for pointing bala

ananth222
3rd April 2007, 02:43 AM
Right now I'm captivated by the relatively short prelude in "naan poranthu vanthathu" from "Mayabazaar". The whole song is orchestrated only with voices, there are no instruments in the entire song. The intro is just incredible! Check it out:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/81c3edef-edd3-44f4-80d1-b43027cf1f00/11_Naan-Poranth

(thanks to rajasaranam for sharing the song)

raaja_rasigan
4th April 2007, 01:04 PM
one of the scintillating preludes......

"Adiye Manam nilluna nikkadhadi
kodiye enna kandu nee sokkadhadi"

from Neengal kettavai - song for thyagarajan & silk sumi -

IR gave melodies in item numbers too

saraks
10th April 2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the link Ananth..Thanks to you I discovered the song. Even Gurucharam from Guru boasts of the similar technique(the bgm is predominantly is vocals) though at a more subdued level.

madhu
11th April 2007, 04:02 AM
IMO ... the best of IR -> poomAlaiyE thOL sEra vA ( pagal nilavu )

buggle
29th October 2007, 04:32 AM
Listened to "Engiruntho ennai azhaithathenna" from I Luv India after long time, i believe it has IR's one of the best preludes with excellant guitar and drums. Also in the 2nd interlude amazing violin piece...
This is one of those songs which did not receive due recognition due to the failure of the movie in BO.

tvsankar
29th October 2007, 09:11 AM
Some more for the topic

1.Manadhil enna ninaivugalo

2.Mayilae mayilae - Starting with nice flute and guitar and violin.........

3.VAlli valli ena vandhan vadivelan dhan

4.Adada maamara kilaiyae unnae innum naan marakalailyae

5.Vaa pon mayilae - Enna oru sweet ana flute

thumburu
30th October 2007, 02:24 PM
Even a "thogaiyara" can give a great start to a song. Iam talking about the majestic way KJY starts the inimitable song "Gangai karai mannanadi" , in thodi scale , with
"Kanmaniyae Radhaiyennum" . Gosh!!! what a composition!
The next one is by the romantic SPB starting off with "sa ni sa ri sa ni" , morphed by a mini alaap in Keeravani for the same song "Keeravani iravile nilavile paada vaa nee".
Third one is the opening humming in "Abhogi" by the melting cum majestic voice of PJ in "Indraikku yen indha aanandhame" followed by a stunning veena and mridhangam combo before VJ begins singing.

tvsankar
14th November 2007, 08:05 PM
One more simple but sweet prelude from IR

http://www.techsatish.com/2007/10/yethetho-karpanai-vanthu-ennai.html

crvenky
15th November 2007, 11:38 AM
Mrs Sankar,
Vikozhuppu music is by Chandrabose.

tvsankar
15th November 2007, 03:31 PM
Oh appadiya sorry venky..... Niraiya Chance iruku IR nu yemara (Because of CB)

buggle
15th November 2007, 11:34 PM
Not sure how i missed listening to this song before.(shame on myself to claim as HCIR fan). This is from Malayalam movie Ponmudipuzhayorathu - oru chiri kandal
Last thursday in Rajaangham Mahati sang this song and they did played the song but i could not able to figure out the name of the movie, and in today's show Ganga said the name of the movie and also she said she love this song.
I quickly googled and downloaded this song...man i did hear atleast 50 times till now, esp the prelude and amazing rendition by Manjari. Also the second interlude with the veena...IR - you are the master of melody..the song just flow nice and smooth also selection of instruments which please your EARS.

ananth222
16th November 2007, 02:39 AM
IR's work in Malayalam movies in recent times has been excellent.
Check out the prelude of "Ghanashyaama" from Kochu kochu santhoshangal. The tune is same as "suniyo yashodha maiyya" but comes with a completely different prelude.

ananth222
16th November 2007, 04:56 AM
Mrs Sankar,
Vikozhuppu music is by Chandrabose.
Thanx for the info, I always thought this was IR!
DIGRESSION: Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHfnfmGqmFw
Chandrabose is cooool!