PDA

View Full Version : IR's Contributions to TFM

Dragun
5th July 2006, 11:09 AM
What kind of things did IR contribute to Tamil film music? Here are some things I think he contributed, but please correct me if I'm wrong and add other things.

-Use of bass guitar. I don't recall hearing prominent bass lines in pre-IR music, but maybe its the recordings I've heard. He's used it even in Indian-style songs, not just in Westernish songs.

-Western-style choral parts

-Use of folk music, and folk music combined with Western instruments

I've read that he's introduced Western classical music styles into TFM, but I'd appreciate a more detailed explanation, with examples. Are the harmonies and counterpoints he uses from WCM?

aruvi
5th July 2006, 10:48 PM
Well, just listen to music of IR's from the period of 1976-1992. If you can't listen to all, just listen to some famous albums from each period. Then listen to music of MSV in pre-1976 era and ARR after his introduction. Most novel concepts in between 76-92 were brought in by IR. IT would help better for you to listen and then ask for clarifications of how he used this or that, IMHO. You would experience his music first hand, and the changes it has taken as well as how he stood apart.

Dragun
6th July 2006, 12:07 AM
I'd like to have some idea of what kind of things to listen for, since his innovations might be taken for granted if they became commonplace after he used them.

Also:

-acoustic guitar as a major melodic instrument

rajasaranam
6th July 2006, 01:43 PM
Preludes and interludes which were a different tune from the main tune of the song, while it maintained the mood of the song was predominantly popularised by IR. Before that the prelude will be almost the instrumental version of the main song and interludes will be some fill music. Although there were many other composers like Salida and MSV, who used this technique of different prelude occasionaly, IR was the one to use it extensively and popularise it :)

Hulkster
7th July 2006, 06:19 AM
IR also revolutionised the veenai alot. After hearing the veenai being used in a heavenly manner by KV Mahadevan on thought the era had gone by. But IR returned back with some classics. Listen to thamthana thamthana from puthiya vaarpugal especially the opening veenai piece. veenai being used as a racey instrument...brilliant..:D

thamizhvaanan
7th July 2006, 10:28 PM
I'd like to have some idea of what kind of things to listen for, since his innovations might be taken for granted if they became commonplace after he used them.

Also:

-acoustic guitar as a major melodic instrument

actually currently i have discovered a new passion. looking at voice prints in IRs songs. the visual pattern they form itself is so beautiful, u kinda get a visual imagery of the songs. the movements, notes, especially western classical oriented are represented brilliantly in these voiceprints.

To see it, go to winamp preferences, visualization options, choose "scrolling voice print" plugin. It takes some time to identify the instruments from their print. flute can be recognised almost instantly and IRs flute peices form terrific images. especially for songs like "poongathave" and "thalattudhey vaanam". singer's voice texture is also represented nicely. surely worth a try.

PS: dont mock at my joblessness :lol:

Naaz
11th July 2006, 06:43 PM
THE BEST OF ILAYARAJA AND A.R. RAHMAN

Rajasaranam, Aruvi, All IR/ARR Fans -

I am planning a special 2 hour radio programme on the BEST of IR and ARR in Tamizh and Hindi Films. The show (if all goes well) will be aired on 23rd July 2006 on :

www.citr.ca

8-10 pm PDT.

I could use all the help and input you can provide. Please drop me a line at naaz99@yahoo.com and I will be glad to tell you my requirements. Hope you can make this programme a success...I will check for your email messages all of this and next week. Thanks in advance.

Naaz

rajasaranam
11th July 2006, 10:43 PM
THE BEST OF ILAYARAJA AND A.R. RAHMAN

Rajasaranam, Aruvi, All IR/ARR Fans -

I am planning a special 2 hour radio programme on the BEST of IR and ARR in Tamizh and Hindi Films. The show (if all goes well) will be aired on 23rd July 2006 on :

www.citr.ca

8-10 pm PDT.

I could use all the help and input you can provide. Please drop me a line at naaz99@yahoo.com and I will be glad to tell you my requirements. Hope you can make this programme a success...I will check for your email messages all of this and next week. Thanks in advance.

Naaz

Thanks for letting us know :)

I did give a litle thought about this >>>
I think considering the time duration you can host a max of 16 to 20 songs on the whole. If it comes up to 10 songs for each that will be good.
Regarding the songs my idea is to go on some themes or compositions done for similar situations from each of them aired back to back. nothing to compare just to study how they have dealt the same scenario :)
A lullaby song,
A love song [ multi dimensional >>> love duet, a tease song, love failure etc.,]
A folk song
A WCM song [ putham puthu boomi <> Pootukkal poattalum]
A classical song

or you can go on the time period and select one best song from each year, out of the first ten years for both.

You did mention hindi but IR doesnt have much to contribute there apart from the classic 'yeh zindagi' :cry: it will be best if we restrict the programme to tamizh only 8-)

Reply here or PM me to tell about your ideas. wishing all success for this programme :thumbsup:

Naaz
11th July 2006, 11:02 PM
rajasaranam -

Thank you for your ideas. I will keep them in mind while compiling the show.
Please check your pm for a detailed message.

Naaz

RR
13th July 2006, 10:30 AM
Discussions of "Ludes of MSV" moved here (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=7464&sid=69cb66d0ea44bcef54e121254b71aafb).