PDA

View Full Version : Rajiv Gandhi and Sri lanka...

Eelavar
28th June 2006, 10:32 PM
[tscii:b31a8606c4]Rajiv Gandhi was typical of a certain breed of westernised Indians, totally ignorant about their own country, yet full of goodwill. It must be said to his defence that he was never interested in power, content to be a pilot, hobby around and live a quiet life with Sonya and their two children. But fate and his mother's distrust for everybody but her own sons, decided otherwise. It must also be said that the man (and his wife and children) demonstrated great poise and dignity at his mother's assassination- and what a horrible way to lose one's mother- which could fill one's heart with hatred and ideas of vengeance. Rajiv showed in his early years of power a measure of goodwill and a sincere aspiration to transform the Indian system. But there were two problems: one was that being totally cut off from the Hindu reality of his country, he applied to his effort misconceived ideas about what India should be. And two, that like Don Quichote battling the windmills, he had to fight the Congress system, its corruption, sycophancy and bureaucracy. In the end he gave-up this unequal battle and had to fall back on advice from the old guard. His ill-advised judgement in the Shah Bano case or his pandering to Palestine, were certainly more in tune with the old Congress policy of flattering the Indian Muslim community, as in the pre-independence Kalhifat movement, than his own opinions. For everything in his upbringing was pro-Western - and Israel certainly was no enemy of his. He must have also secretly agreed with the Supreme Court judgement in the Shah Bano case. If his mother's downfall and ultimate death was due to the Sikh separatist problem, his undoing was Sri Lanka and the Tamil separatist factor there.

SRI LANKA

There seems to be little doubt that once upon a time, not that long ago, India and Sri Lanka were linked by a small strip of land, which can still be seen today from the air: Adam's Bridge. And this is how the first Tamils, those who settled in the North, came to Sri Lanka (are they the first inhabitants of Sri Lanka and not the Sinhalese? This is another question!). There is also no doubt -and the Sinhalese recognise it- that they ( the Sinhalese) are originally Indians, although some say that they came from Gujurat, others from Bengal. Thus it can be established beyond doubt that Sri Lanka and India are one ethnically, although they differ in religion (but the same can be said within India). And throughout the ages, under one form or the other, Ceylon was under the influence of India. That is why, when the British conquered it in the late 18th century, they chose to attach it to their Indian empire. But when they left in 47, in their desire to see that India never dominates too heavily the subcontinent, they facilitated the creation of Pakistan and handed to Sri Lanka its freedom. And India and Sri Lanka seemed to part way for ever, as Tamils and Sinhalese were left to war with each other, until Rajiv sent the IKPF in 1988.

One has to go back a long time to understand what decisive factors shaped the psyche of the island's two communities. And this decisive factor bears the names of two of the world greatest religions: Buddhism and Hinduism. The first one, Buddhism, is a gentle, peaceful creed, that teaches non-violence and brotherhood, even to enemies. Unfortunately, Ceylon, often called the "isle of beauty", has always been too tempting a prey for sea-faring invaders. And indeed, successive colonisers, from Arabs to Africans, from Portuguese to Dutch and finally, British, preyed on the tiny, defenceless island. In the name of Buddhism and because, the Sinhalese are by nature a fun-loving, gentle people, not only did they hardly resist these invasions, but often, many of their women, mingled freely with the foreign intruders. The result can clearly be seen today on the faces of many Sinhalese women folk, with their African-curled hair, or Arabic features. As a result, the Sinhalese slowly lost their sense of identity, their feeling of being a collective being, to the point that when the British came, they collaborated wholehearted with them and had to be handed back their independence on a platter, for want of a real freedom movement. Today, democracy and western institutions are just a flimsy cloak that the Sinhalese wear. Lurking underneath the pleasant, sometimes servile attitude towards Westerners, is a sense of hopelessness and a terrible violence. And in reality, since independence, Sinhalese politicians must have been some of the least farsighted of the entire subcontinent: nothing is made in Sri Lanka, everything has to be imported and only tea, tourism and Western grants help the country survive.

On the other hand, Hinduism with its strict caste hierarchy, which in the old times forbade too much contact with outsiders, particularly sexual contact with foreigners, protected Sri Lankan Tamils from mingling with their invaders. Thus they preserved their identity, their racial purity and their culture. Sinhalese live an easier life in the South, which was always more fertile than the arid North. As a result, Tamils have often been better at studies and more hard- working, (although one should not generalise). This was quickly noticed by the British, who often gave Tamils preference for jobs and university grants, thus angering the Sinhalese, who after all were the majority community.

It is this deep-rooted resentment of the Sinhalese towards the Tamil community which is in greater part the cause of the present troubles. When the British left, the Sinhalese quickly moved in to correct what they saw as an unbalance: they set on depriving the Tamils of most of the rights they had acquired under the British and proceeded to establish a Sinhalese-dominated Ceylon. And every time a Sinhalese politician tried to give the Tamils their just share of power, he quickly had to backtrack under Sinhalese resentment. For years, the Tamils bore the brunt of Sinhalese persecution. But one day, too much became too much and Tamil armed groups started springing up to defend their people. To cut short a long story, the LTTE finally emerged as the most ruthless and sole militant organisation. For those who remember the Tamil Tigers in their early years: young, bright, soft spoken university students, there was no doubt that they had started with a genuine aspiration to secure their just rights. But violence breeds its own violence and today the Tigers have lost all sense of measure and restraint, eliminating ruthlessly all what they think stands in the way of their freedom.

Yet, in 1988, Rajiv stepped in to mediate between the warring Sinhalese and Tamils. All kind of insulting epithets have been thrown onto the Jeyawardene-Rajiv Gandhi peace plan and the IPKF's role in Sri Lanka, but these are unfair (as unfair as accusing Mrs Gandhi of creating the Sri Lankan imbroglio by arming and sheltering the Tamil separatist groups in Tamil Nadu's coastal area. Those who vent these accusations have no knowledge of Sri Lankan history : 1) the problem goes back to 2000 years of strife. 2) The Tamils were at that time genuinely persecuted and faced pogroms. Short of India intervening militarily, it made sense to arm the Tamils so that they could defend themselves. The Rajiv Gandhi peace plan was the best attempt that could be made in the circumstances, to solve the ethnic war and ensure the region's stability - and the IPKF did not come to conquer and colonise, but to help. That the LTTE betrayed the hand that had fed it, because it wants total and unequivocal freedom and it saw India's move as thwarting it (that is the main reason for their murdering Rajiv Gandhi. If he had come back to power, as indeed he was sure to, he would have pressurised the Sinhalese to grant the Tamils a semi-autonomous region in the North-East). But that is another matter. India's thus got bogged down in a guerrilla war it did not want to fight, with one hand tied behind the back to avoid killing civilians; and ultimately it had to leave because of pressure at home and Mr Premadasa's intense dislike of Indians.
Today, Tamils have actually come one step nearer to freedom. The partition of Sri Lanka may be considered a "fait accompli". It might take some time, but ultimately, some Sinhalese leader will have to come to the conclusion that Sri Lanka's economy cannot be bled any more by this senseless war. What happens if one day the island's one million Tamil tea planters, (whose forefathers were "imported" from India by the British, another parting gift from dear Britannia), who up to now have kept away from the conflict, join hand with their North-East brothers? It would be the end of Sri Lanka. And how long can tourism, the island's other source of revenue, be promoted in the midst of strife? The LTTE have chosen for the moment to leave the tourists alone. But it would be enough that they kill a few, to scare away Sri Lanka’s main source of revenues.
But even if the partition of Sri Lanka in two is granted by the Sinhalese, with the north-east portion for the Tamils, the island will remain a hotbed of uncertainty, a potential time bomb in South Asia.

And this raises the question of India's security. What should be New Delhi's reaction in case of a Sri Lankan partition? Can India remain unaffected by whatever is going to happen in Sri Lanka? There are 55 millions Indian Tamils in Tamil Nadu. It has been shown already that instability in Sri Lanka breeds instability in Tamil Nadu. Certainly, Mrs Jayalalitha's autocratic ways, when she was in power, her godlike worship by her party men and her paranoia for security, which may be partly justified by the terrible assassination of her friend Rajiv, are a direct result of Sri Lanka's strife. This frightful cold-blooded murder of Rajiv Gandhi, was also a direct consequence of the Sri Lankan problem, which India cannot ignore.

And ultimately, it is hoped that history will remember Rajiv with indulgence and affection, even if he got trapped in the Bofor’s story (*) and India’s spiritual genius had completely eluded him. He was a gentleman and one always courteous with everybody, including journalists. Like his mother, he also gave his life for India and his terrible death shocked millions of us that fateful night in Sriperambadur. Apart from his goodwill, he must be credited with having started the economic liberalisation of India, indispensable if this country wants to become a 21st century superpower. Unfortunately, the Nehru dynasty did not end-up with him : Sonia took-up the mantle and there is always Priyanka, his daughter, who already shows something of her grandmother's imperiousness and charm
[/tscii:b31a8606c4]

Nicely wrote by Francois Gautier..

Anton Balasingham, LTTE's theoritican said few days ago in front of NDTV that assassination of Rajiv Gandhi was one of their biggest mistake...
I agree with him..

thamizhvaanan
28th June 2006, 11:22 PM
Anton Balasingham, LTTE's theoritican said few days ago in front of NDTV that assassination of Rajiv Gandhi was one of their biggest mistake...
did he say so :roll: not heard of it.

crazy
29th June 2006, 12:03 AM
did he say so :roll: not heard of it.

TV .............he said!

crazy
29th June 2006, 12:05 AM
EELAVAR: my dear brother...................enna solla? i have to remind u that we r not *********here ...............hope u understand! :)

Eelavar
29th June 2006, 03:30 AM
Crazy,

Yes sure buddy i'm personnaly not a TERRORIST ! I know what i am and what are my personal convictions !
But sinhalas in the lankanewspapers.com call me a terrorist.. :cry:

thamizhvaanan
29th June 2006, 04:03 PM
yea today i saw it in newspapers. And Daya master, calls it is a misinterpretion of Anton Balasinghams statement. The exact quote (as per Hindu) goes like,
"As far as that event [rajiv assasination] is concerned, I would say it is a great tragedy, a monumental historic tragedy for which we deeply regret and we call upon Government of India and the people of India to be magnanimous to put the past behind and to approach the ethnic question in a different perspective"
I dont get it, where exactly does he accept it?

Nakeeran
29th June 2006, 04:23 PM
yea today i saw it in newspapers. And Daya master, calls it is a misinterpretion of Anton Balasinghams statement. The exact quote (as per Hindu) goes like,
"As far as that event [rajiv assasination] is concerned, I would say it is a great tragedy, a monumental historic tragedy for which we deeply regret and we call upon Government of India and the people of India to be magnanimous to put the past behind and to approach the ethnic question in a different perspective"

Its a tacit admission . Otherwise, why should AB say such words. What is the need for him to condole that assassination.
Whatever said and done, just this heinous act of LTTE INDIA WILL NEVER FORGET AND FORGIVE LTTE

Nakeeran
29th June 2006, 04:26 PM
Tamilnadu was called AMAIDHI POONGA earlier. After the infiltration of LTTE militants into TN, the face of TN changed dramatically :cry:
Everywhere TN had small small violence, including the killing of Padmanabha in Vadapalani area . It was the worst thing to happen to TN those days. There was a blood bath. The cold blooded guys were given good support by the then DMK govt also :evil:

thamizhvaanan
29th June 2006, 04:43 PM
The politics behind Rajeev's assasination goes deeper than wat any single mind can comprehend.

it is utter nonsense to say that stability of TN changed totally after one incident.

And LTTE "militants" never infiltrated into TN. they were there in TN right from the beginning of their organisation. So u mean to say that LTTE infiltrated only in the 90's and their entry immediately changed the state of TN resulting in assasination of a Prime minister? Isnt it a fact that the supposed assasination of Rajeev Gandhi remains as the only instance of LTTEs violence in TN and India and it was powerfull enuf to alleviate any support that India mite have offered LTTE for eons to come. Then how shameful is it to say that TN's peace has been affected by them :roll: .

And it is attrocious to blame a single party. Then in that case u mite take pleasure in blaming Indira Gandhi too, who helpd the organisation a lot during its formative years.

crazy
29th June 2006, 04:53 PM

Its a tacit admission . Otherwise, why should AB say such words. What is the need for him to condole that assassination.
Whatever said and done, just this heinous act of LTTE INDIA WILL NEVER FORGET AND FORGIVE LTTE

I (AND MILLIONS OF VICTIMS LIKE ME) WILL NEVER FORGET AND FORGIVE INDIA FOR WHAT THEY DID DO US!

I DONT KNOW WHAT HE THOUGHT(AB) .................BUT I DONT REGRET FOR WHAT WE DID................IAM SORRY............FOR BEING RUDE!

Nakeeran
29th June 2006, 05:03 PM
The politics behind Rajeev's assasination goes deeper than wat any single mind can comprehend.

it is utter nonsense to say that stability of TN changed totally after one incident.

And LTTE "militants" never infiltrated into TN. they were there in TN right from the beginning of their organisation. So u mean to say that LTTE infiltrated only in the 90's and their entry immediately changed the state of TN resulting in assasination of a Prime minister? Isnt it a fact that the supposed assasination of Rajeev Gandhi remains as the only instance of LTTEs violence in TN and India and it was powerfull enuf to alleviate any support that India mite have offered LTTE for eons to come. Then how shameful is it to say that TN's peace has been affected by them :roll: .

And it is attrocious to blame a single party. Then in that case u mite take pleasure in blaming Indira Gandhi too, who helpd the organisation a lot during its formative years.

Read the history of TN since 85 & come back :evil:
Probably you werent even born during that stage. Every pocket in Chennai was infiltrated & occupied by LTTE sympathisers & WE SUFFERED PERSONALLY ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS
Mind my words above.... WE SUFFERED PERSONALLY as the free movement of arms made everyone strong & even for small incidents, people used pistols, guns etc to get their looting through. :evil:
I presume you must be one of those misguided fellows, wrongly getting into a preconceived notion & utter something which has no basis or substance.
Now I am not surprised why you said something silly about even MAHATMA that day in another thread :evil:

thamizhvaanan
29th June 2006, 05:19 PM
Mr.Nakeeran, u r wrong. contrary to your wishful thinking, none of my assertions are baseless and i am not someone who says things in a haste. I check stuff twice or thrice before posting them. I am not the one who posts contrived personal baseless opinions like
Tamilnadu was called AMAIDHI POONGA earlier. After the infiltration of LTTE militants into TN, the face of TN changed dramatically
try defining the term "baseless" u will have ur post being listed.
As for the suffering that u underwent, try telling that to my dad. I think he can answer u better.

and wat u said is rite, u said "I presume" and it stands as a presumption.

Nakeeran
29th June 2006, 05:24 PM
Mr.Nakeeran, u r wrong. contrary to your wishful thinking, none of my assertions are baseless and i am not someone who says things in a haste. I check stuff twice or thrice before posting them. I am not the one who posts contrived personal baseless opinions like
Tamilnadu was called AMAIDHI POONGA earlier. After the infiltration of LTTE militants into TN, the face of TN changed dramatically
try defining the term "baseless" u will have ur post being listed.
As for the suffering that u underwent, try telling that to my dad. I think he can answer u better.

and wat u said is rite, u said "I presume" and it stands as a presumption.

The then CM Mr. Karunananidhi was UNDER THE FIRM CONTROL OF LTTE. He also had a PS by name Nagarajan who was used as the contact point for all negotiations & intimidations.
The manner in which Padmanabha was shot at............. THE WHOLE CHENNAI GOT BAFFLED THOSE DAYS...... WE WERE ALL STUNNED BY THE AWEFUL / AWESOME PRESENCE OF LTTE MILITANTS IN CHENNAI.

Now I am asking a simple question to you :

Are you aware of Padmanabha's episode in Chennai ?
Are you aware of what sequence of events happened before his killing ?
Are you aware of what happened subsequently /

PL CHECK WITH YOU FATHER & REVERT :evil:

thamizhvaanan
29th June 2006, 05:33 PM
what makes u to once again presume that I will revert once on checking with my father?

And I am aware of all that u asked. no point in challenging.

Anyway, I see that there is little point in arguing with such a staunch and obstinate person. sorry for not realising this before. I will shutup hereonwards :oops:

Nakeeran
29th June 2006, 05:40 PM
what makes u to once again presume that I will revert once on checking with my father?

And I am aware of all that u asked. no point in challenging.

Anyway, I see that there is little point in arguing with an staunch obstinate person. sorry for not realising this before. I will shutup :oops:

TV

Pl dont contradict your own earlier versions. You said that one single incident could not have dramatically changed the TN scenario.
Now you are admitting that there is no point in challenging

As you also mentioned that your Father can give a better explanation, I wish to hear from him as well.

The whole TN was aware of the ARMS CULTURE THAT PREVAILED EXTENSIVELY ACROSS TN
It was after the new ADMK govt which took strong steps by cealing the coastal infiltration that the extent of arms coming in came down.
For doing this, even the then CM JJ was under LTTE's hit list.
WE HAVE PERSONALLY WITNESSED HEAVEY SECURITY CARDON SURROUNDING ALL VIPs WHENEVER THEY MOVE AROUND.

Tamil, I am not just typing posts but SAYING THIS EMPHATICALLY AFTER UNDERGOING ALL THE TURMOIL PERSONALLY IN CHENNAI :cry:

crazy
29th June 2006, 05:41 PM
NAKEERAN ANNA: u cant just blame us for what and how chennai has been those days!

both INDIA and LTTE have their faws.............

we were kind and brotherly to u indians .............what u guys did to us....................not arguable! THERE IS NO WAY WE CAN FORGIVE OR FORGET WHAT INDIANS BROTHERS DID TO US!

thamizhvaanan
29th June 2006, 05:44 PM
Pl dont contradict your own earlier versions. You said that one single incident could not have dramatically changed the TN scenario.
Now you are admitting that there is no point in challenging
when did i revert my statement?
misinterpretation unga forteva?

I said nothing to challenge coz I am pretty much aware of that incident, and no need to ask me if i know or not. I didn mean that ur statement is beyond any challenge :shock: how can one possibly interpret my statement in that way :shock:

Nakeeran
29th June 2006, 05:48 PM
NAKEERAN ANNA: u cant just blame us for what and how chennai has been those days!

we were kind and brotherly to u indians .............what u guys did to us....................not arguable! THERE IS NO WAY WE CAN FORGIVE OR FORGET WHAT INDIANS BROTHERS DID TO US!

Crazy Thangachi dear dear :oops:

Pl dont presume that I am blaming you all. How did you conclude like this :cry:

I am focussing on LTTE & what harm they did to TN those days.

My cousin lived in that particular area ( A 100 % RESIDENTIAL COMPLEX ) & he had personally witnessed this Padmanabha incident & almost lost his life but the militants having achieve their main target, fled immediately.

If you feel hurt by my posts, I AM EXTREMELY SORRY FOR THIS.

thamizhvaanan
29th June 2006, 05:50 PM

both INDIA and LTTE have their flaws.............

thappu pannavangala brothers nu sollathey, enakkey asingama irukku :oops: there is no need to generalize. nothing to argue either :P .

I am currently irritated at ppl who still twist truth and present it to people. I get irritated everytime I see subramaniam swamy comment to press(only Hindu mentions it, no other newspaper bothers him :lol2: ). The truth presented to people here is very much contrived and manipulated, and it has been the basis for ppl like nakeeran to make opinions, which is not surprising actually.

Nakeeran
29th June 2006, 06:13 PM
[quote="thamizhvaananThe truth presented to people here is very much contrived and manipulated, and it has been the basis for ppl like nakeeran to make opinions, which is not surprising actually.[/quote]

Ennappa TV ippadi cholliputta ? Naan mattum illa, enga area , matrum pala idangal Chennayil migavum thunbapattuirukiriom through LTTE

Even if I share with you our personal experience, you are linking us with Subramania Swamy & all :roll:

For maintaining this portal discipline, I am not going to touch this sensitive issue further.

Even press freedom was curtailed indirectly by LTTE.

Cho was threatened by them as he was dead against their attitude

selvakumar
29th June 2006, 06:28 PM
Tamilnadu was called AMAIDHI POONGA earlier. After the infiltration of LTTE militants into TN, the face of TN changed dramatically :cry:

- Beg to disagree completely. even during the days of Anna, Kamarajar etc many students were forced to participate in the Anti-Hindi movement which resulted in the loss of many lives.
- After that, on an average, the crime rate increased even further.
- It continues still..One recent example can be - Comibatore Blasts.

TN was not / is not an AMAIDHI POONGA. Only solution left with us is: To satisfy ourselves by comparing the crime rate present in other states. It is a sin to blame LTTE for everything !

Everywhere TN had small small violence, including the killing of Padmanabha in Vadapalani area . It was the worst thing to happen to TN those days. There was a blood bath. The cold blooded guys were given good support by the then DMK govt also :evil:

Completely agree with it. But to be precise. TN had witnessed / is witnessing several cold blooded murders happening till now.
- People are being killed in open market areas and other public places even now
- We highlight everything if it is done by a foreigner whereas eventually forgetting our own great mistakes.

- IMO, It is not a sin to give support to your fellow brother who is suffering in front of you. It will be a sin if you never help them out !
Even if we don't help them, it would be better if we never insult their own fight for their fundamental rights !

"Every act of brutal control will have to countered in its own way. Instead of asking, Why did LTTE assassinate Rajiv, We can ask ourselves.. WHAT MADE THEM TO DO SUCH THING?"

selvakumar
29th June 2006, 06:59 PM
I request the MODS to edit the original post of Eelavar which contains comments (even thought it is of a different person) that degrade one section of people as if they are inferior to other section of people. This is against HUB POLICY (I feel)

crazy
29th June 2006, 08:54 PM

Crazy Thangachi dear dear :oops:

Pl dont presume that I am blaming you all. How did you conclude like this :cry:

I am focussing on LTTE & what harm they did to TN those days.

My cousin lived in that particular area ( A 100 % RESIDENTIAL COMPLEX ) & he had personally witnessed this Padmanabha incident & almost lost his life but the militants having achieve their main target, fled immediately.

If you feel hurt by my posts, I AM EXTREMELY SORRY FOR THIS.

well brother KEEP FOCUSING ON WHAT HARM LTTE DID TO TN!
whatever i dont find myself different from LTTE . IAM LTTE AND LTTE IS ME OR FOR US (EELAM TAMILS).

iam not hurt by anyones post............iam just hurt and getting hurt each time when seeying, finding people blaming us(LTTE) for everything that goes wrong!
i know this is a very emotional topic for me and perhaps for other eelam tamils too!
its so easy for indian brothers to see the fault on us(LTTE) rather seeying their unhuman act they did to us!

TV: THAPPU PANNAALUM PANNAATIYUM OVVORU INDIAYANUM ENN SAGODRAN THAAN.................ADHAI AVANAGA UNARAANGALO ILLAYO .................I DONT CARE! BUT WE LOVED AND RESPECTED INDIANS AND INDIA ...................UNDFORTUNATELY ITS ALL JUST A HISTORY NOW!

Eelavar
29th June 2006, 09:18 PM
Selva,

I request the MODS to edit the original post of Eelavar which contains comments (even thought it is of a different person) that degrade one section of people as if they are inferior to other section of people. This is against HUB POLICY (I feel)

Say me where there is a mistake i will cange it myself.

:arrow: ,

LTTE and India govt are not without link.. LTTE is not born from nowhere.

In fact LTTE was armed by INDIA !
And after India tried to disarm LTTE , and it is when the Indian army was humiliated by LTTE youth militants !

But during this fight many Tamil innocants were killed by Indian army and so they were forced to left the country lefting all the mess behind !

Few days ago India delivered radars to SLA (Sri lankan army) what must show to TN politicians that India govt has nothing to with Tamils wishes... !! :roll:

Badri
30th June 2006, 06:25 AM
Ok I am afraid discussions in this thread are going into murky waters that would be detrimental to the interests of the Hub. I am locking this thread right now.

Whatever your sentiments may be, Crazy and Eelavar, they will not sit will with GoI and I would not be surprised if once again access to the Hub becomes restricted from India as has already happened once before when the DoT acted to restrict the Hub.

My friendly advise to the two of you is that this Hub is not the place to voice such sentiments.

This thread would be shortly moved from this forum as well.