PDA

View Full Version : Undhiyo recipe reqd

Thattai
14th December 2004, 09:12 AM
Hi all!

Since it is now (officially) winter, it's undhiyo time again... and I would love to make it at home. So would appreciate any recipes for the same, especially if there are ways to make it in a healthy manner.

Thanks,

Thattai

Dushyanthini
14th December 2004, 09:09 PM
Ingredients :

Fresh Undhiyo : 1 cup
red chillies : 4
green chilli paste : 2 tbsp
Ginger paste : 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tsp
Salt : 2 tbsp
Oil : 1 tbsp

Take fresh Undhiyo and mix with green chilli and ginger pastes, turmeric power and salt. Heat a pan, pour one tbsp of oil, add red chillies, and then the above mixture. Cook for exactly 13 minutes. Spicy Undhiyo is ready.

Since Undhiyo is already spicy, this can be eaten with cucumber raita or tomato sweet raita.

ushnishas
27th January 2005, 04:26 AM
Here are two authentic and excellent recipes for Gujerati Oondhiya or Undhiyu as given by Tarla Dalal.

OONDHIYA
A classic Gujarati recipe.
Cooking Time : 60 mins.
Preparation Time : 30 mins.
Serves 6.
Ingredients
1/2 kg. Surti papdi
1/2 kg. purple yam (kand)
1/2 kg. yam (kand)
250 grams small potatoes
250 grams sweet potatoes (shakkariya)
250 grams small brinjals
3 bananas
1 recipe methi muthias
1 tablespoon carom seeds (ajwain)
2 teaspoons green chilli-ginger paste
1/4 teaspoon soda-bi-carb
To be ground into a masala
1/2 fresh coconut, grated
3/4 cup chopped coriander
1/2 cup green garlic, chopped
4 teaspoons coriander-cumin seed powder (dhana-jeera)
1 tablespoon green chilli-ginger paste
2 teaspoons chilli powder
4 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt to taste
For the tempering
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
6 tablespoons oil
Method
1. String the Surti papdi, taking care not to separate the 2 sides.
2. Wash the papdi, put the carom seeds, soda bi-carb and salt and mix well.
3. Peel the purple yam, yam and sweet potatoes and cut into big pieces.
4. Peel the potatoes.
5. Make a criss-cross slit in the potatoes and brinjals taking care not to separate the segments. Keep aside.
6. Cut the bananas into big pieces and cut a vertical slit in the centre of each piece.
7. Fill half the masala mixture into the slits of the potatoes, brinjals and bananas. Keep the remaining half for later use.
8. Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add asafoetida.
9. Add the Surati papdi, potatoes, yam, purple yam and brinjals and 1/2 cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
10. Allow the steam to escape and open the pressure cooker.
11. Transfer the cooked vegetables into a large pan and add the stuffed bananas, methi muthias and the remaining masala mixture.
12. Cook on a slow flame till the bananas are tender, stirring occasionally.
13. Serve hot

BAKED OONDHIYA
Gujarati oondhiya cooked in the original style and served in an earthen pot with delicious chutneys and sauces.
Cooking Time : 60 min.
Preparation Time : 40 min.
Serves 6 to 8.
Ingredients
750 grams (1 5/8 lb.) surati papadi
500 grams ( 1 1/8 lb.) kand (rataloo)
250 grams ( 9 oz. ) potatoes
250 grams ( 9 oz. ) sweet potatoes
2 to 3 brinjals
1 teaspoon ajwain
1 teaspoon chilli-ginger paste
1/4 teaspoon soda bi-carb
1 to 2 tablespoons oil
a few lettuce leaves
salt to taste
green chutney, garlic chutney, sweet and sour sauce, sev and oil (optional) to serve
For the green chutney
1 teacup chopped coriander
4 green chillis
1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the garlic chutney
10 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons chilli powder
For the sweet and sour sauce
1 teacup jaggery (gur)
1/2 teacup tamarind
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
salt to taste
Method
1. String the papadi. Do not separate into two.
2. Peel the kand and cut into big pieces.
3. Cut the potatoes and sweet potatoes without peeling.
4. Make slits on the brinjals.
5. Mix all the vegetables. Apply the ajwain, chilli-ginger paste, soda bi-carb and salt. Mix thoroughly and apply the oil all over.
6. In a small earthen pot (matka), put a few leaves of lettuce at the bottom. Fill with all the vegetables and cover with the balance lettuce leaves.
7. Cover the matka with an earthen lid and bake in a hot oven at 200 degree C (400 degree F) for 1 hour.
8. Alternatively, instead of cooking in a matka, wrap the vegetable mixture (without lettuce leaves) in alluminium foil and bake in a hot oven at 200 degree C (400 degree F) for 1 hour.
9. Serve with green and garlic chutneys and sweet and sour sauce, oil and sev.
For the green chutney
1. Blend all the ingredients in a liquidiser.
For the garlic chutney
1. Blend all the ingredients in a liquidiser.
For the sweet and sour sauce
1. Blend all the ingredients except coriander in a liquidiser. If too thick, add enough water to get the right consistency. Garnish with coriander.

I hope you enjoy these recipes! In USA, you may get the yam in the frozen foods section of the local Indian supermarket, in which case I would advise adding it later as being a frozen vegetable it will cook rapidly.

Mrinalini

dev
27th January 2005, 08:41 AM
Hi,

Can anyone pls let me know what OONDHIYA is?....

Thattai
27th January 2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the recipes Mrinalini. I am coming online after quite a while, so just got to see ur post. Will try to make them if I can lay my hands on all the ingredients!!

And Dev, Undhiyo is a gujarati speciality which is made primarily in winter cos that's when all the items are available at their best. Kind of like gajar ka halwa which is best in winter. It's a great dish, that can be eaten with rotis, or even makes a great meal on it's own!

Hemant Trived1
27th January 2005, 03:45 PM
Hello Thattai,
Try the following link.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/curry/undhiyun.html

Happy cooking.!!
It is not Ondiyo, oondhio or such names,
IT IS CALLED "UNDHIYUN"
By the way, I am a Gujarati.

ushnishas
28th January 2005, 11:38 AM
Here is the recipe for the moothias for the Undhiyu.
By the way, I found some interesting info on Undhiyu.

- "The name of this dish means “upside down” in Gujarati. At the height of the winter vegetable season, before the searing heat of summer ends the harvest, tender fresh produce was collected and placed in a terra-cotta pot that was sealed with a terra-cotta lid using a layer of wet clay around the rim. The pot was then placed upside down in a pit in which a fire had been made and allowed to burn down to hot coals. More coals were heaped around the pot and the vegetables inside were allowed to slowly steam their way to doneness. "

Methi Moothia (Chickpea flour dumplings):
1 cup channa flour
pinch baking soda
¼ cup methi leaves, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 pinch haldi
2 green chillies, minced
1 tbs lime juice
¼ tsp sugar
water
4 tbs plus 1 tsp vegetable oil
For the methi moothia: Combine chana flour, haldi, baking soda, and methi leaves in a bowl. With a mortar and pestle, make a paste of minced green chillies, garlic paste, salt, lime juice, sugar, and one teaspoon oil. Add paste to the channa flour and methi leaves. Add just enough water to bind the ingredients. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a small frying pan or heavy-bottomed casserole. Form dough into little dumplings and deep fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
About ½ hour before serving, add the methi moothia to the Undhiyu. Just before serving, add fresh grated coconut and chopped coriander and a little water. Cover and steam for about 3 minutes. Garnish with remaining fresh grated coconut and chopped coriander. Serve with bajra no rotlo, a delicious roti made with bajra-millet-flour.

The Parsis also have a version of Undhiyu. They call it Oobariyu - and they make it with mutton and Surti papri. It is cooked in Udwada, Dahanu, Sanjan, and other places of early Parsi settlements, in the traditional way in a sealed earthenware pot placed upside-down on embers in a hole in the ground, and covered with earth, and allowed to cook thus for several hours.

The characteristic flavour given in both these dishes is ajwain. The tender seasonal papri contains enough water to cook the vegetables through.

Personally, I omit the sugar in the recipes, as our family does not like it. However some people do, and so it is optional.
The mother of a Sindhi friend of my son, an excellent cook, once made Undhiyu using tomatoes and sugar. It was delicious. However it was not the real Undhiyu.
Garam masala is also not traditional. Nevertheless one should experiment and try new ways of doing things!

By the way, do you know that chillies, mint, coriander, brinjals, tomatoes, potatoes, and many other vegetables were introduced from America into our country India by the Portuguese?

These 'foreign' vegetables are governed by the shadow planet Rahu!

Mrinalini

Thattai
28th January 2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks mr. hemant and thanks mrinalini for all the additional info. That was really nice of u!!! :)

SlurpSlurp
11th June 2005, 11:16 PM
Hello Hemantji
I love some of the gujarati vegetable dishes which are sweetish & in curry form . Could u tell me traditionally what is thier preparartion method . I know that they use dhania pd which gives a very nice flavor. do they use it at the end or saute it earlier ? For example i would like to know some dishes like whole moong subzi ( its in curry form ) , bhindi , zuchini , etc. Can i have some of these recipes from u ?