PDA

View Full Version : christmas

carla
13th December 2004, 04:48 PM
Should the public celebration of Christmas be overtly Christian , or politely multicultural?

i'm doing this for a school assignment and i need some ideas and thoughts from the public on this issue

thanks for all your help!!!

blasphemy
13th December 2004, 06:29 PM
Speaking from an Austrailan perspective, there are many non-christian families that have christmas festivities not to celebrate the birth of christ but to get family and friends together and enjoy.

Governement and most institutions dont enforce a christian Christmas here but they dont make a point of making it multicultural either.

Sandeep
13th December 2004, 08:12 PM
Christmas is a nice holiday. One may not be interested in the religious factors but this is a holiday that unites the world along with Newyear.

Bad Boy
13th December 2004, 08:40 PM
Chrismas is the day of the Holy Family.
Thge Holy Family is your family. So it is thought and celebrated here in Germany and not only as the Birth of Jesus Christ.
People use to vist their families and friends and ease the tension with their foes during this time.
The funniest thing is that though the Christmas is the feast of the family a lot of problems occur especially during the three days 24th to 26th.
A lot of people are depressive during this days because they feel they are lonely.

Christmas should become a international family holiday than a religious one. It should be like the International Worker's Day 1st of May

Raghu
15th December 2004, 09:42 PM
well wat ever it is, Merry Christmas to all, Christians.

Bad Boy
15th December 2004, 10:02 PM
I think christmas arose from a pagan rite regarding the family. The Christmas-tree is originally from Germany.

Raghu,
same to you but still it si too early to say that.

HO! HO! HO!

Querida
18th December 2004, 10:21 PM
well i think you should celebrate Christmas as it applies to you...if you celebrate from a religious view than good anything to strengthen you faith..because it much easier nowadays for faith to be broken...though i appreciate it being celebrated from a multicultural perspective cause then i can join in the fun! :D :D I still enjoy the holidays even though im on the multicultural side...i put up decorations (paper snow-flakes and sun catchers galore) send gifts, cards, candy, go to parties, have dinners, get together with friends and family etc. and i love having a designated holiday time to do all this....i have lived quite far away from our ethnic community since i came to Canada so i miss out on any of my religious days, ceremonies, holidays etc...by this way im really happy that i can be included in these festivities :D Plus it's a huge pick-up for me from the depressing bitter cold, wind and ice...

so Season's Greetings to All..and in case i forget a Happy New Year as well :D :D

nirosha sen
19th December 2004, 03:10 PM
Good thread!! Though we're Hindus, my family and I love the festivities of the Christmas season. Funny though, living in a country where Christians are a minute minority, December is never the same until we've stopped to admire the Christmas trees and the festoons in every shopping centre or mall!!!

Today, we just came back with our own plastic tree, with packets of trimmings and the twinkling lights. We'll be decorating tonight. All of this, just to apeace my small 6 year old!!!

Ho Ho Ho!! Seasons' Greetings to all of you too!!!! :D :D :D

shanthi
20th December 2004, 05:49 AM
Any festival that brings people together should be a cause for celebration. Lets not look at it as a Christian event but as another reason to forget our differences and to be merry.

We have many reasons for being thankful for and if you have the opportunity to join a group that is celebrating, then by all means join in. Bring your family along. Festivals are meant for sharing and caring. I think it makes little difference in what you believe in, when there is so much to be happy about on this special day.

Sandeep
20th December 2004, 06:40 PM
Here I noticed that my colleagues say 'Merry Christmas' to each other and 'Happy holidays' to me.

A big supermarket chain called Macy's have decided not to use 'Merry christmas' instead use 'Happy holidays' only. The courier company UPS fired an employee for saying 'Merry Christmas' to a client at the time of package delivery.

They feel that non-christians feel offended when you say 'Merry Christmas' to them.

I always reply back by saying 'Merry Christmas' after all whats wrong in celebrating some others religious festival. I think most of us feel the same way. Right?

So "MERRY CHRISTMAS" to all of you.

Cindy
20th December 2004, 08:57 PM
YES Sandeep.... u dont get the merry in wishing "Merry Christmas" when u say anything else...

"MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL"

sonu gopi
20th December 2004, 10:02 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL - 2005" :lol: :lol:

SONU GOPI :wink: :wink:

davie
21st December 2004, 03:34 AM
lol cindy nice avatar 4 merry christmas :lol:
:P
Merry Christmas!
Happy Holidays!

shanthi
21st December 2004, 06:37 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

http://www.riversongs.com/Flas/seasons.html

Cindy
21st December 2004, 07:17 AM
Shanthi,

:) That was LOVELY!!!...loved it so much..

Thank you so much.

a.ratchasi
21st December 2004, 02:19 PM
Should the public celebration of Christmas be overtly Christian , or politely multicultural?

How can one offend the other by saying Merry Christmas?
How does it concern others if Christmas has religious intonation?
Why does the Government need to interfere?

These ppl badly need to come over to Malaysia to see how 3 major celebrations are celebrated by one and all with no compromise whatsoever.

Sandeep
21st December 2004, 06:51 PM
Givernment is not interfereing anywhere.

Its just private companies trying to humor non-christians.

NOV
21st December 2004, 07:14 PM
These ppl badly need to come over to Malaysia to see how 3 major celebrations are celebrated by one and all with no compromise whatsoever.Alas, if only this was true AR.

Haven't you read about the ruling where the name "Jesus" is not to be mentioned for fear of "offending" non-Christians, when singing carols at the national Christmas celebrations?

Sad, but true. :(

a.ratchasi
22nd December 2004, 06:43 AM
Haven't you read about the ruling where the name "Jesus" is not to be mentioned for fear of "offending" non-Christians, when singing carols at the national Christmas celebrations?

Sad, but true. :(

NOV, that was the notion held by some overzealous beings. I have included the editorial that appeared in NST yesterday here for you:

-------------------------------------

EDITORIAL: Joyous sounds of Christmas

IN the end, it turned out to be a case of much ado about nothing. Nevertheless, the heat generated by the controversy over the so-called prohibition on carols at the government-organised Open House to be held this Christmas Day in Petaling Jaya demonstrates the disquieting tendency to jump at perceived slights and restrictions towards one’s religious beliefs and practices.
In the end, it took the firm and unequivocal declaration from the Culture, Arts and Heritage Minister that "there is no ban officially or unofficially" to squash all the talk making its way through the grapevine and on the websites.

It is difficult to fathom how so much credence was given to the rumours because it would be stretching the imagination too far to even think that the Government was contemplating banning carols in order not to cause offence to the non-Christian guests at this official function.

Every time Christmas comes around in this country, Malaysians of all races and religions have become accustomed to the sight of Santa Claus and his reindeer, and the Christmas tree hung with sparkling lights, stockings, holly and other Yuletide decorations, including snow, as well as to the sounds of evergreen tunes like White Christmas, Jingle Bells and Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer and popular carols like Silent Night, Joy to the World and The Twelve Days of Christmas.

While they may not be familiar with the religious practice of the midnight mass or the Nativity plays, many have heard the choir groups as they make the rounds of shopping malls singing hymns and carols. It should not have come as a surprise then that Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim found "nothing wrong in singing" such songs and carols. After all, as he said, "these are joyous songs".

They are certainly not out of place in an Open House, which Rais correctly describes as "a joyous occasion where people of all races and religions can get together and partake of the celebration". The Open House has certainly developed into one of the few cultural institutions in this country that consciously brings people of different faiths together in a spirit of tolerance, respect and goodwill. It has become an accepted part of the Malaysian way of life because it is not a religious event marked by solemn services but a big party and a major social event which all can share and celebrate.

While religious tolerance cannot be legislated and decreed by executive fiat, the misguided furore over the non-existent ban illustrates more than ever the need for more informal social institutions like the Open House and more formal institutions like inter-religious councils. The Government’s commitment to religious freedom and harmony has to be reciprocated by the willingness of each religious community to put aside its dogmas and differences and reach out to each other in the spirit of peace and goodwill towards all men.
-------------------------------------
Sandeep, it should read council officials.

NOV
22nd December 2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the input AR.

nirosha sen
22nd December 2004, 05:00 PM
Despite the hullaballoo generated, what was disquieting was some of the response from church elders, who had indeed agreed to do some sort of self-censorship by excluding any mention of the Lord Jesus Christ from the carols!!!

When the only reason for celebrating Christmas by the Christian community is the birth of Jesus, why should they even think of conceding this basic tenet in their religion???? I find it most baffling, when the Church makes no effort to defend itself and its parishoners this way!!!!

It is this same attitude that is reflective in the way they handle their mission schools. Self-effacement should never be construed as pacifism, in my books!! For to do so, one does it at the expense and peril of the very notion of freedom of worship!!!

NOV
22nd December 2004, 07:05 PM
Fact is Nirosha, whatever accorded to the non-official religions, are considered "privileges" and are "tolerated" by the majority .... if you know what I mean.

Step out of the line a little and some back-bencher - or worse still a Minister - will wave May 13 in front of you. Sad, but true.

hehehewalrus
23rd December 2004, 12:09 AM
real fact is that neither Christmas nor Easter has nothing to do with the real Jesus Christ and 90% of all thinking Christians know that :)
It is a tradition handed over by men but there is no need to disturb an established tradition thats why it is observed by the christians.

Bad Boy
23rd December 2004, 12:47 AM
real fact is that neither Christmas nor Easter has nothing to do with the real Jesus Christ and 90% of all thinking Christians know that :)
It is a tradition handed over by men but there is no need to disturb an established tradition thats why it is observed by the christians.

Its not the christmas but for sure Easter is the most important for the church. The christian believe is based on this.

Christmas originated from a pagan rite from middle europe. Middle europeans became christians 1500 years ago and for example Norway very late. The tamils became Hindus after Cholar introduced it. If a regent turned to christianity then his subordinates also became christians. In earlier days only the aristocracy was allowed to hold big posts in the church as popes, bishops, ... The normalos were only their pawns. The aristocracy was also educated and were able to read and write. The others not. Is there any similarities between Hinduism and Christianity or ancient Egypt here? I do see that but I think this belongs to a different topic.

a.ratchasi
23rd December 2004, 08:43 AM

That's exactly my point! A tradition should be left as it is, a tradition. Why the need to inpose self restrictions in the name of so called goodwill? Moreso, when others are equally baffled!!

It is absurd.

And yes NOV, it is easier to end 'controversial matters' in that manner, no matter how out of context it may be! :wink:

hehehewalrus
24th December 2004, 02:17 AM
Its not the christmas but for sure Easter is the most important for the church. The christian believe is based on this.

badboy, this is for you:

The Encyclopaedia Brittanica states,

"The English word 'Easter' corresponding to the German 'Oster' reveals Christianity's indebtedness (!) to the Teutonic tribes of central Europe. Christianity, when it reached the Teutons, incorporated in its celebration of this great Christian feast day, many of the heathen rites and customs that accompanied their observance of the 'Spring' festival. That the 'festival' of the resurrection occurred in the spring that it celebrated the triumph of life over death, made it easy for the church to identify with this occasion, the most joyous festival of the Teutons, held in honour of the death of winter, the birth of a new year and the return of the sun. Eostre (or Ostera), the goddess of the spring, gave its name to the Christian holy day. The conception of the egg as a symbol of fertility and of renewed life goes back to the ancient Egyptians and Persians who had also the custom of colouring and eating eggs during the spring festival. This ancient idea, of the significance of egg as the symbol of life, readily became the idea of the egg as a symbol of resurrection. According to old superstition, the sun rising on Easter morning dances in the heavens; this belief has been traced to the old heathen festival of spring, when the spectators danced in honour of the sun ... The Protestant churches also followed the custom of holding sunrise services on Easter morning" - (1959 edition, Vol. 7, pages 859, 860).

The word 'Easter' comes from one of the titles of the queen of heaven, 'Ishtar' or `Astarte' (see 1 Kin. 11:5) - one of the idols that Solomon worshipped. There were slightly different forms of that name in different countries.

The Babylonians believed that a great egg fell from heaven into the River Euphrates and that Astarte came out of it. Thus began the distribution of eggs in connection with the worship of the sun in the spring festival. The 4th century Christians took this over, and even today Easter is celebrated with eggs, supposedly symbolising Christ's coming out of the grave as the chick comes out of the egg.

Sacred bread cakes called `bouns' were offered to the queen of heaven by the heathen, many centuries before Christ (see Jer. 7:18). These became the 'hot cross buns' of Good Friday, when Christians took over these pagan customs.

The only way that the early apostles commemorated resurrection was through the 'breaking of bread' which we are to take part in together as a church. This was certainly not to be just once a year at Good Friday/Easter time, and certainly not with eggs and buns!

When we break bread, we testify not only of Christ's death, but also our death with Him. The emotionalism of Good Friday and sentimentality of Easter turns the attention of men away from the necessity of following Jesus, to empty ritualism.

NOV
24th December 2004, 04:52 PM
AR & Nirosha

Check out this link: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/FL23Ae01.html

Bad Boy
24th December 2004, 05:54 PM
Merry Christmas to you all.

nirosha sen
24th December 2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the link, Nov!! Yes, I was even more dismayed by Herman Shasti's response than the ban itself!!! Just how much could people keep retreating, I ask????

Sigh.....A Christmas carol without mentioning the birth of Christ???? So No Silent Night, All Come All Ye Faithful, Three Wise Men, etc, etc????

It's religious persecution, plain and simple, for this Hindu girl, Pa!! :cry: :cry: :cry: