PDA

View Full Version : 5. vazhi mel vizhiyaai (Archanai Pookkal)

Oldposts
12th December 2004, 03:46 PM
Heres the latest pick

http://tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://tfmpage.com/songs/vazhimel.rm

Song: vazhi mel vizhiyaai
Film: Archanai pookaL
MD: IR
Singer: SJanaki
Lyrics :?

-This is a beautiful solo by SJanaki. I'm hooked to this gem for past one month. Im wondering how this song escaped the popularity it very much deserves.
-Archanai pookaL had Mohan, shankarabaranam Rajalakshmi, nizhalgaL fame Savitha(who later became Amudha in telserial 'rayil sneham'). I think this film was directed by Ra.Shankaran(The famous chandramouLi of mounaraagam). I remember 2 more songs from this film, the popular 'kaaviriye kaaviriye' and generally unknown 'aavaram kaatukuL devaaramaa'(UmaRamanan,MV)

Mrs Charumathi writes(in her own words)

"vazhimEl" is based on kamavardhani raaga. Kamavardhani raaga is also called as
panthuvarali.
It is 51 melam and has the following "aarohana", "avarohana" and "swarasthanam"

Aro: Sa Ri1 Ga2 Ma2 Pa Da1 Ni2 Sa
Ava: Sa Ni2 Da1 Pa Ma2 Ga2 Ri1 Sa

This song is set to "Adi thalam". Rhythmically this song is specially composed
with
"athetha edupu" ie the song starts before the beat starts.

IR has taken Da2 swarasthana from 3rd line of pallavi and musically changed the
structure of the raaga.

The beginning interludes are set to different raagas; It starts with like
Amirthavarshini
and ends like boopalam. IR has used "chendu" (Percussion instrument in Kerala)
in
between pallavi and charanam that adds quality to the composition.

S.Janagi has given sweet bhavam to this song. Mirudhangam and thabla played at
the same
time with same jadhi, which makes it a pleasant hearing.

about pandhuvarali:
This is exactly prati Madhyama Melam of the 15th Melam Mayamalavagaulai. It is
an ancient
raagam - in former times it was also called "Ramakriya". The ancient Pann
"Sathari"
is the same as pandhuvarali. In Hindustani music, it is called "Purvi That".

Oldposts
I'm not sure of the accuracy, this is what cinesouth database says:
Archanai pookkal *ing kapildev,sulakshana. Dir: gokula krishnan.

http://www.cinesouth.com/films/cast/newfilmdb/archanai%20pookal.html

Oldposts
Good song!! One of Laxminarayanan's [is the name right?] articles says that "conspicuously Ilayaraja has not scored any good Panthuvaraalis." Wrong!! I counted about eight, all good IMO:

1. Rojaavai Thaalaattum Thendral (Ninaivellaam Nithya)
2. Enna Varam Vendum (Nandhavana Theru)
3. Nalla Neram Neram (Antha Oru Nimidham)
4. Manmadha Raagangale (Baalanagammaa)
5. Piraiye Piraiye (Pithaamagan)
6. Modern Concerto (Raja Paarvai)
7. Chamber Welcomes Thyagaraja (How To Name It)
8. Vazhimel Vizhaiyaai (Archanai Pookkal)

Oldposts
Great!!! This is a rare gem and I have heard it just couple of times decades ago. This song seems to be a precursor for many songs in the Kamavardhini scale that followed later like Ravindran's "nalam vaazhave naan paaduven" also by SJ .GangaiAmaran also dabbled with it in "Gyabagam illaiyo kanne"

Oldposts
I remember watching this movie during my 6th or 7th or 8th Standard. Cinesouth's information is not correct. As told by Ramki, it had Mohan, Savitha & Chandrasekar (in a guest role, who dies in an accident in this movie). I thought it was a good movie, then. I'm not sure if I'll stick to that opinion now, if I happen to watch it again

Oldposts
Surya you're that old :))

Oldposts
Good one ramki.enge thaan indha songs pidikkiriyo? Btw,this is the second SJ song. Can we expect a very rare gem of PS soon?:)
Surya: 6th, 7th grade le nalla padam nu ninaicheengalaa? hmmmm:)

Oldposts
RR-kapildev,sulakshana-gokulkrishna direction -I think its 'andha raathirikku saatchiillai'.

jn PS request varalaiyennu ninaichen:)) very rare gem of PS..kashtam but will try.

Oldposts
From Mars: neenga appo college-la padichuttu irundhadha solla yean yosikkireenga? :)

Oldposts
PS ah yaarathu? :)

Surya, appO naan porakavE illa :))

Oldposts
ramki, how about a Rare ARR song?? :)

Oldposts
The theme of the song is a lady's romantic dream about marriage and life after (similar to 'nenjinile nenjinile'). As she starts feeling the happiness, it seems to grow skywide and she wants to be drenched. And so is calling for the 'maamugil'?! That's probably why the song starts with 'amirathavarshni' (raga associated with rain). IR has chosen 'pantuvarali' as main raga to give a yearning feel to the song. The raga change is wonderful. Just listen to the prelude, it's actually raga morphing. First it gets bhoopalam-ish and then pantuvarali blooms.

vazhi mel vizhiyaai ethirpaarthirunthen
nee varuvaai maamugile
sugam aegaandhamaai malara
athu aagaayamaai viriya

Watch the kenjal in 'nee'. Also the glide in 'viriya' and how chords supplement it. You can feel the 'virinjufy'!

Usually most of the songs have 'sama eduppu' (the start of the beats and music coincide). I believe this is one of the rarest songs having 'atheedha eduppu' (music before beat starts). In fact, throughout pallavi and all charanams, mostly. Why? Because she is ahead and waiting for it to happen! That fits the theme of waiting for marriage and all!! cool, isn't it? :)

At the end of charanam 1, as she sings 'mana maalai
kollum velai vandhaal vaibogame', her longing becomes too much as reflected aptly in the following 'izhuthukkondu paadum' pallavi. Pantuvarali has been used nicely here I think. Similarly at the end of the song.

Oldposts
THE SECOND INTERLUDE GIVES A FOLK-TYPE OF FEELING AT THE BEGINNING AND THEN MERGES INTO A MODERN EXTRAVAGANZA OF A FLUTE - PIANO COMBINATION REFLECTING THE GENIUS IN ILLAYARAJA .