PDA

View Full Version : ARSENAL!

Ghlli
1st May 2006, 06:43 AM
O YEAH ARSENAL ROXXXXXX!!!
GO ARSENAL! :D

shambhavi
1st May 2006, 02:38 PM
i think they have one of the most free flowing games, the way they play is simply a treat for the senses, hope they strengthen their defense

Ghlli
1st May 2006, 07:03 PM
yeahhhhhhhhhhhh i luvvvvv arsenalllllll......the have the most supporters in the south of england :thumbsup:

Raikkonen
2nd May 2006, 10:23 AM
Arsenalku oru Boo Podu

Thiru
6th May 2006, 03:16 AM
Arsenal's Highbury stadium closes after 93 years
By STEPHEN WADE, AP Sports Writer
May 5, 2006

LONDON (AP) -- Arsenal's 93-year-old Highbury stadium has been featured in two movies. Muhammad Ali fought Henry Cooper there 40 years ago, and its Art Deco East Stand is a registered historic building.

Highbury even survived a bomb in World War II.

Now it's time to say goodbye to the 38,500-seat north London landmark, which closes after Sunday's game against Wigan. About 700 luxury apartments will be woven into the stadium's old facades, and a garden square replaces the soccer field.

Highbury, which opened in 1913, is the spiritual heart of a crowded residential neighborhood. A fish and chips shop stands on one corner, 100 yards from the stadium, while 100 yards in the other direction is a London Underground stop named -- what else? -- Arsenal.

Peter Gosnell attended his first game at Highbury on May 6, 1939. He's missed only a handful of games since and, 67 years later -- almost to the day -- he'll be on hand Sunday.

He's been legally blind since his 20s and, at 78, he's now lost all of his sight. But he still pictures Highbury and a more gentle time.

"When it was built and for the next 50 years it set a standard," he said. "There was nothing like it. The whole place is style. There was a story many years ago in the early 30s that Arsenal wouldn't sign a player if he had bad table manners."

When the West Stand opened in 1932, it was the most modern in England. The East Stand came four years later, its marbled entry hall and bust of former manager Herbert Chapman making an impression in the austere prewar years.

Michael Hart, who covers soccer for London's Evening Standard newspaper, calls the closing of Highbury "the symbol of a bygone age of English football."

"Some will claim Highbury is a cold, old-fashioned relic of a lost empire with no place in the modern world," Hart said. "There may be some truth in that, but it is also the finest stadium in the Premiership."

From the top of Avenell Road, the white superstructure and glass walls of the new 60,000-seat Emirates Stadium loom over a neighborhood of row houses, where narrow steps and gardens dump on to narrow sidewalks. The Gunners will begin playing in the new stadium next season, a move some dread.

"It's terrible, it's heartbreaking," said June Gosnell, Peter's wife. "It's a lovely building, but now we have more followers than you can get in there. I think the atmosphere will change. Here it's more for family and friends."

Among landmarks in the stadium's history:

-- the first game at Highbury on Sept. 6, 1913, with Arsenal playing Leicester Fosse.

-- the Gillespie Road Underground station was renamed Arsenal on Nov. 5, 1932.

-- the movie "The Arsenal Stadium Mystery," filmed in 1939.

-- the stadium was closed during World War II and used as an ambulance and air-raid warning center; the North Bank was hit by an incendiary bomb.

-- Ali stopped Cooper in the sixth round of a heavyweight title fight, May 21, 1966.

-- the 1997 movie "Fever Pitch" was adapted from Nick Hornby's novel based on an Arsenal fan's obsession with his club.

Arsenal has won the Premier League three times, the old first-division 10 times and the FA Cup 10 times.

The move from Highbury coincides with a key moment in the club's history -- facing Barcelona on May 17 in the Champions League final in Paris. A victory would bring Arsenal its first European championship. The income from reaching the final -- and the new stadium -- should allow the club to compete with giants such as Manchester United, Chelsea, AC Milan, Juventus and Bayern Munich.

Taking photos of Highbury's East Stand, Sara Brogden said she bought season tickets for the new stadium for about $1,800. But she can't find a ticket for Sunday.

"You can't get tickets for love nor money for that day," she said.

Stanley Kay, a longtime Arsenal fan and a London dentist, said he has a ticket for Sunday but can't go. Instead, he's going to a party to celebrate his sister-in-law's 70th birthday.

"You think you could get a toothache for me, as an excuse," he joked. "My wife has made it very clear I'm going to the party."

On pub-lined Upper Street, a mile from the stadium and a gathering place for Arsenal fans, Sunday tickets would fetch a premium.

"I think any Arsenal fan who didn't have a ticket would pay a couple hundred quid (pounds)," said Scott Harwood, a 27-year-old fan wearing a team jersey with midfielder Cesc Fabregas' name and No. 15 on the back.

The new stadium's price tag is $660 million. The club will earn about $51.7 million more each year in game-day income.

"I suppose it's progress," Peter Gosnell said. "It's money, money, money. People want these stars and it's an expensive business."

Ghlli
6th May 2006, 03:26 AM
:poke: arsenal rocks all over the world :poke:

3 cheers for arsenal! hip hip hooray! hip hip hooray! hip hip hooray! :clap:

Arsenalku oru Boo Podu

rocketboy
18th May 2006, 01:11 AM
latest update:

ars 1 barc 0

rocketboy
18th May 2006, 02:20 AM
ars 1 barc 2 at 90 mins. looks like arenal is going to lose. :(

kannannn
18th May 2006, 03:20 AM
Barcelona 2 - Arsenal 1 Full time. The better team won. And a :thumbsup: for Larsson's pass that set up the second goal :notworthy:

Ghlli
18th May 2006, 04:26 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: this is gona be the talk of the day 2moro at skl :cry:

Hulkster
18th May 2006, 07:19 AM
Did not see the match...but i guess Arsenal will use the ten men as a excuse to state their loss...:D

kandiban
18th May 2006, 07:22 AM
goal oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Raikkonen
18th May 2006, 10:57 AM
:rotfl:

Yaaaaaa...
Naan vendutten....

Ghlli
19th May 2006, 03:14 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Raikkonen
19th May 2006, 08:52 AM
Arsenal lost
Yipppeeeee :rotfl:

Liverpool the best european champions
:notworthy: Rafa, steven gerrard and Co

Ghlli
20th May 2006, 03:15 AM
NO NO NO! ARSENAL ARE THE BESTTT 4EVA! THEY ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN LIVERPOOL!

Raikkonen
22nd May 2006, 09:25 AM
NTR NTR than
Chinna Pappa Chinna Pappthan

soccer_gal
24th May 2006, 12:26 AM
An unfortunate game for Arsenal. I guess it was karma for the little drama Eboue pulled off. Anyways, smart move by Barcelona manager to put Larsson on the field in the end..however it wasn't a smart move by Arsenal manager to remove Fabregas and Ljunberg(erm spelling) I think they should have put Reyes on earlier...

ahh welll...there's always next year unless Henry ditches Arsenal :D

shalitha
29th May 2006, 04:08 AM
What kind of sport is Arsenal>?? I never heard this sport/// Can any one explain this to me??? :wink:

Raikkonen
29th May 2006, 07:55 AM
Arsenal is a soccer club

Ghlli
30th May 2006, 04:30 PM
arsenal theriyatha? :shock: :cry:

ok here u go... :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal_F.C.

What kind of sport is Arsenal>?? I never heard this sport/// Can any one explain this to me??? :wink:

Ghlli
30th May 2006, 04:32 PM
china pappa thaan world number1 best :D

NTR NTR than
Chinna Pappa Chinna Pappthan

manmadan
17th June 2006, 03:25 AM
how is arsenal's new player the walcott, i never seen him in action but heard he is going to play for england in the world cup.

Also heard that he has enough pace to out run thiery henry.

Unicorn
17th June 2006, 12:44 PM
Czech midfielder Thomas Rosicky has been signed in 4 Arsenal :smile:
Sorry if its old news :oops:

Ghlli
17th June 2006, 07:44 PM
hmm i'm not quite sure about arsenals new player....

naveen anna :hammer: :rotfl:

Unicorn
19th June 2006, 01:11 PM
podi baloon :rotfl:

hmm i'm not quite sure about arsenals new player....

naveen anna :hammer: :rotfl:

Raikkonen
23rd August 2006, 09:30 AM
I dont know how Arsenal will survive this season with bunch of young players..
Ashley Cole certainly will move to Chelsea. If arsenal get Gallas, then its ok..
But look at their defence.. pathetic

Tia
1st October 2006, 07:25 PM
its still rocking on cos we won against charleton yesterday! :D

Unicorn
2nd October 2006, 10:10 PM
:rotfl:

its still rocking on cos we won against charleton yesterday! :D

Raikkonen
3rd October 2006, 01:37 PM
Charlton 20th now :rotfl:

ajithfederer
3rd October 2006, 06:01 PM
ayyo paavam gaayu katty........chae kutty :lol2: :poke: :rotfl:

Tia
7th October 2006, 11:49 PM
grrrrrrr :( loool

Unicorn
18th October 2006, 07:17 PM
Aesenal loses to Moscow :rotfl:
Henry carded :(

ajithfederer
13th November 2006, 07:15 AM
Gunners shoot down Liverpool 8-)

http://www.espnstar.com/epl/epl_newsdetail_2338250.html

Raikkonen
13th November 2006, 10:36 AM
The whole English FA against Liverpool..

We faced MU, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton Bolton all tough games, at AWAY..

Tia
27th November 2006, 01:03 AM
Yesterday arsenal...6th place in the premiership :( but at the end we'd be at the top fo sure :D

Tia
27th November 2006, 01:03 AM
Liverpools 9th in the premiership hehe :poke:

ajithfederer
27th November 2006, 10:11 AM
u shld do a :poke: gaayu :lol:

Liverpools 9th in the premiership hehe

Tia
27th November 2006, 11:35 PM
Done! :lol:

Hulkster
28th November 2006, 08:45 AM
Arsenal truffled by Bolton 3-1...i thought their change to 4-5-1 will bode success but i seems those five midfielders rarely know the meaning of defend....easily stamped upon :lol2:

ajithfederer
12th December 2006, 01:51 AM
ARSENAL 1 - CHELSEA 1 8-)

Tia
8th January 2007, 05:21 AM
3 - 1 to Arsenal against Liverpool

:poke: raiks anna :poke: :lol: :D

Raikkonen
8th January 2007, 10:19 AM
form is temporary class is permanent

Tia
8th January 2007, 11:07 PM
paarpom....theres a match on tuesday right...mmm i guess liverpool r gonna win cos its at their home? (is it?! ) cos htey always do gd there :D

ajithfederer
10th January 2007, 09:32 AM
:frightened: :omg: :shock:

http://www.espnstar.com/epl/epl_newsdetail_3828365.html

Tia
23rd January 2007, 01:20 AM
right well we wont tht match AF! :lol:

lolz

n also aresenal won againts man u 2 - 1

doesnt tht mean liverpool is catching up cos they need beat chelsea n man u is it...i'm not sure :confused2:

rocketboy
25th January 2007, 08:14 PM
Good news for all Indian football fans.

Sao Paulo is in India :yes: :2thumbsup: :goodidea: :D :) 8-) :clap: :redjump: :bluejump: :victory:

Sao Paulo the Champion football club from Brazil will play a few matches against top football clubs like mohun bagan in the country .

The first match is on Saturday .

And this week brings to an end the illustrious career of Sabir Pasha , the lefty striker from TamilNadu. Sabir Pasha plays for Indian Bank and he made all of us Tamilians proud by donning the Indian colours. Actually there aren't many Tamil players at the top . Usually only the Meenkara(Bengali, no offense. just for fun) players and players from north east get into the Indian side. IM Vijayan is another notable player from the south. He is one of the best strikers India has ever had. IMHO he is the best. Even the then Indian football coach Constantine acknowledged this fact. Now he has taken to acting. He appeared as the elder brother to Shreya Reddy (the second one ) in the film Thimiru.

rocketboy
29th January 2007, 07:52 PM
Follow up

I watched the match between Sao paulo and KingFisher East Bengal on Saturday (only the last 15 mins of second half) . Final Score Sao -3 KEB - 0 . The last goal of the match was a brilliant one .

sivank
8th March 2007, 12:07 AM
[tscii:60fb487d71]Hi Guys,
I´m sivan from Germany. Is there anybody who
is a fan of Bayern Munich. There is an important
match between BM and Real Madrid in Munich.
I will be leaving shortly to watch this game(
Champions league 4th round). Hopefully BM
wins the game[/tscii:60fb487d71]