PDA

View Full Version : K. BALACHANDER - GENIUS

Pages : [1] 2

S.Balaji
29th April 2006, 06:59 PM
Have you ever come across a director touching 100 movies . its a rare phenomenon .its not so easy to cross 25 movies because one's imaginative skills and karpanai levels stays up to a maximum of 25 only.

Even veterans like sridhar, barathiraja, bagyaraj, Mahendran , Balu Mahendra ( yesteryears )
could not stretch their consistency beyond 30 or 40 movies .........

I am not considering S.P.Muthuraman ( a hardcore commercial director and guys like Kaja , Ramanarayanan )

Its not the number game only which makes an artist an all time great

its the consitency , quality , ability to be adaptable to the changing scenario ........ which makes a person great

K.B. ( fondly called ) has all the requisites......

When the tamil cinema industry was going through the routine / mundane type stories, KB was bold enough to make movies like Arangetram , Thappu thaalangal , Aval oru thodar kathai, Avargal , aboorva ragangal , moondru mudichu........

Each movie was unique .......

Above all, it was KB who brought in 2 LEGENDARY PERSONALITIES IN THE 70S.......

ONE BECAME ULAGA NAYAGAN ....KADHAL ILAVARASAN

ANOTHER BECAME A SUPER STAR.......

Shall we exchange thoughts about this genius .........

Definitely deserves top slot amongst CREATIVE directors

bingleguy
29th April 2006, 07:12 PM
He deserves a Thread :clap: Good work Balaji !

I admire all his movies ... they will have a message in it !
His Yedhir Neechal and Baama Vijayam ... were excellent pieces

His Thillu Mullu was an amazing comedy !

Especially his Aboorva Raagangal was a true different approach

I like his Azhagan, Sindhu Bhairavi n many more

S.Balaji
29th April 2006, 07:14 PM
BG

Thanks....... What I admire about him is HIS ABILITY TO WITHSTAND FOR SO MANY YEARS ....

ABLE TO QUICKY ADAPT TO THE CHANGING WORLD .......

STILL MAINTAINED HIS STYLE AND IDENTITY AND WAS SUCCESSFUL.....

Hall mark of a great director

bingleguy
29th April 2006, 07:18 PM
BG

Thanks....... What I admire about him is HIS ABILITY TO WITHSTAND FOR SO MANY YEARS ....

True ... he still hopes expectations in the young ! his next movie too is somethng related to youth i guess !

ABLE TO QUICKY ADAPT TO THE CHANGING WORLD .......

He has quoted many things about the changing world .. an good analyst too

STILL MAINTAINED HIS STYLE AND IDENTITY AND WAS SUCCESSFUL.....

That is obvious ;-)

S.Balaji
29th April 2006, 07:21 PM
I think Vaanamay ellai was a good message to youth .....

a striking message to those who try to commit suicide on seeing failures......

the same KB showed how stupid a person is if he tries for suicide in Punnagai Mannan !

Variety !

bingleguy
29th April 2006, 07:32 PM
Vaanamey ellai ... Ys ... That was awesome ... particularly he quoted what probs they are facing ... due to which they go to extreme step of DYING !

But i dont understand ... many of his films have a sad ending !

Sanguine Sridhar
29th April 2006, 07:35 PM
Balaji!! Enna Bharathiraja-va uttuteenga...I am Beckham ;)

S.Balaji
29th April 2006, 07:36 PM
True

He was called a SADIST those days for ending his movies on a negative note

S.Balaji
29th April 2006, 07:39 PM
Balaji!! Enna Bharathiraja-va uttuteenga...I am Beckham ;)

Oho adhu Beckhamaaa :!: :idea: :idea:

I admire both BR and KB ...

( so you remember the old thread Br vs Kb !!! )

great memories dear Becks / Sanguine Sridhar !!!

Why did you change our Beckham avatar dear ?? :oops:

bingleguy
29th April 2006, 07:39 PM
Vaanga Beckham Sridhar !

bingleguy
29th April 2006, 07:40 PM
Dear aaa ?

Sridhar ;-) enna matter ? :lol:

S.Balaji
29th April 2006, 07:41 PM
Pochu pochu.....

Sanguine ippo KByay kizhi kizhi endru kizikka pogiraar !!

Sanguine Sridhar
29th April 2006, 07:41 PM
//Dig *

Oru kaarnama thaan..My manager knows my ID...He is a silent hub reader!! Appram free-ya arattai adikka mudiyaadhey :wink:
Anyways that is a wonderful thread!! Where is it? Miss hubbers like Saradha and others!

Sanguine Sridhar
29th April 2006, 07:43 PM
In my opinion he is highly a over-rated director with abnormal characterizations!!

S.Balaji
29th April 2006, 07:44 PM
Saradha is missing for around 4 months !!

Ushaji is busy posting about IR !

bingleguy
29th April 2006, 07:44 PM
Sri ... enga kizhinga paakalaam

terminator
29th April 2006, 07:45 PM
Cinema Varalaaru.. a column in daily thanthi is now giving KB's history..

S.Balaji
29th April 2006, 07:45 PM
In my opinion he is highly a over-rated director with abnormal characterizations!!

Aarambichutaaraiyaaa aarambichutaarayaiaaaa :thumbsup:

bingleguy
29th April 2006, 07:47 PM
:lol: Sri ....

Avar kitta enakku pudicha vishayam ... teaching ... !he is good at it ! nadikka theriyaadhavangala kooda nadikka vechiduvaaru !

bingleguy
29th April 2006, 07:49 PM
:wave: have some work ... will join u guys soon !

Ghlli
29th April 2006, 09:20 PM
he is the one who bought rajini and kamal into cinema right?

MADDY
29th April 2006, 10:18 PM
i love his 100/100 and duet a lot.....i dunno y but i've watched duet more than 15 times..... :D

how can i forget Punnagai Mannan.......i saw this movie after 20 years and i was blown over......wat movie and BGM from Ilayaraja......one of my all time favs....

Aalavanthan
30th April 2006, 01:35 AM
Ghilli, guess 'r' is missing in the word "bought" :wink: . If not, then definitely NO. If yes, KB brought Rajini to cinema. Kamal was already in cinema but it was KB who found/shaped the "real" Kamal.

Surya
30th April 2006, 01:37 AM
Yeah, Kamal has been in acting ever since Kalathoor Kannama....HE WAS SOOOOOOOO CUTE!!! :P

Aalavanthan
30th April 2006, 01:47 AM
KB is not only a thinking director but also a fantastic screenplay writer. I was surprised to learn that KB was responsible for screenplay in the movie Netrikkan starring Rajini. The war between Appa Rajini, Pulla Rajini and Saritha in the second half -- excellent screenplay.

Just amazing abt the way on how he handled the "adult" script without any vulgarity and that too in the year 1981. Proves that he is THE father of all current directors by providing the required "viru viruppu" (ofcourse, pazhi vaangum padalam) in the second half.
Thanks to SB for opening the thread and to KB for the character Chakravarthy in Netrikkan :clap:

Ghlli
30th April 2006, 05:11 AM
oops ya ya :rotfl: i neva think when i type :rotfl: ya hope he didnt buy them :rotfl:

Ghilli, guess 'r' is missing in the word "bought" :wink: . If not, then definitely NO. If yes, KB brought Rajini to cinema. Kamal was already in cinema but it was KB who found/shaped the "real" Kamal.

Sanguine Sridhar
30th April 2006, 07:20 AM
Just amazing abt the way on how he handled the "adult" script without any vulgarity and that too in the year 1981. Proves that he is THE father of all current directors by providing the required "viru viruppu" (ofcourse, pazhi vaangum padalam) in the second half.
Thanks to SB for opening the thread and to KB for the character Chakravarthy in Netrikkan

Come again sir? Without vulgarity in your dreams ah?? He took some of the subjects which are very very eccentric and he sprayed his vulgarity on the movie and in his screenplay.Alrght i accept that he gave good movies like "Thaneer Thaneer" but i am always against his "Apoorva Raagangal" or "Manmadha Leelai" kind of movies!! So Aalavandhan if you like to discuss on this topic..I am ready!!

Thirumaran
30th April 2006, 09:00 AM
Balachander -- Iyakunar Sikaram.. :notworthy:
The next after Sridhar, whose films are recognised as a director's film..
100 movies and still going .. :notworthy:
What an achievement... :thumbsup:
The best thing is maximum of his movies are much talked and great movies. :clap:
Introduced stars like..Rajini, Nasser, Prakashraj, Vivek, Saritha Sujatha, Jayapradha..and it goes.. :clap:
First to notice the talent in Kamal.. :)
The one who introduced kamal to Telugu and Hindi film industry. :D
Probably The first to took a bold step of making a comedian(Nagesh) as Hero and was successful too. :clap:
As a Producer who introduced AR Rehman. :clap:
For me the best director of Tamil cinema.. :thumbsup:
More in the coming days.. :D

svaisn
30th April 2006, 09:07 AM
Thiru....

But u should accpet the fact that he had vulgarity ( I think it may not be the right word) in most of his movies.....

He always came out with characters which were very rare in real life......

But BR and MR gave real life movies...

Thirumaran
30th April 2006, 09:16 AM
How many among the 100 movies had vulgarity :?:
At the most 10 :?:

I can show Vulgarity in BR and MR movies too.. However i like BR and MR.

We can say some of the characters he showed were rare in real life. Right. However we cannot say those kind of characters does not exist at all.
If we have to take only the characters very common in real life, them probably we can take only few movies..
In the name of masala movies we see characters which does not exist at all. Atleast KB showed characters which exists rarely.
There are numerous movies to show the greatness of KB.

Sanguine Sridhar
30th April 2006, 11:39 AM
Maran i admit he is a very good director..My question is why a genius needs vulgarity when he discuss about adult subject? What i think is that he want to show himself as Genius!!

great
30th April 2006, 11:44 AM
KB is a good director i accept !!! He has utilised Anathu ,dir of sigaram, but KB has not given the due credit to the genius :banghead:

bingleguy
30th April 2006, 11:49 AM
Maran i admit he is a very good director..My question is why a genius needs vulgarity when he discuss about adult subject? What i think is that he want to show himself as Genius!!

Hi sri ...

wat is the vulgarity that u r mentioning ?

Sanguine Sridhar
30th April 2006, 11:59 AM
Bingle,
I will give you only one example... You like the song "Dheivam thandha veedu" right? Why the hell you want to show Sujatha's dress chaging clipping there? What is the need?? You want to show that they are living in a poor family i admit..But there are lot of ways to show that..You need some more examples?

bingleguy
30th April 2006, 12:03 PM
Sridhar ... i vaguely remember that scene ...

can u tell me some other example !

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 12:40 PM
Bingle,
I will give you only one example... You like the song "Dheivam thandha veedu" right? Why the hell you want to show Sujatha's dress chaging clipping there? What is the need?? You want to show that they are living in a poor family i admit..But there are lot of ways to show that..You need some more examples?

Sanguine Sri

Edho malarum ninaivugal varuvadhu pola irukku :D

Innum andha sceneai marakka villayaa ?

You are right.... that scene was not required at all ........I wish he had avoided that ....but for that the movie is a nice one

Another character which I will not cherish is that Pramila character in Arangetram where in he shows a girl from a cultured family , takes up the role of selling herself for the sake of family's financial pressures !!

and it will not a one time event...she will continue to sell herself for the sake of money ( excuse being that of family's financial pressures )

No Indian woman will do such things .....

I strongly condemn this characterisation of KB

However, there are many many wonderful movies of KB

IT WAS KB WHO GAVE US A NEW AND VIBRANT KAMAL THROUGH APOORVA RAGANGAL.......

after this movie, kamal never looked back.......

the same KB also gave him a good character in Unaal mudiyum thambi .... a movie with a positive end

Hulkster
30th April 2006, 01:39 PM
K.Balachander must one of the few directors then to separate us from the usual family and sentimental pot boilers and bring us to a new dimension of story making...incest storylines...different ways of how love can affect a human and various storylines highlighted Balachander sir's creativity. To cap his story he had a screenplay which neither dragged or was fast paced...in other words it was suitable for the common viewer....but the best part of his movies was his excellent characterisation of his movie cast...if not for him actresses like saritha and actors like kamal will not have come into cinema...:thumbsup:

bingleguy
30th April 2006, 01:44 PM
vidhiyaasam dhaan avaroda way of handling things ! ok ! well, probably i will not comment on that scene ... but he has created so many different characters ....

Balaji ... it cannot be concluded that way ! sometimes when u r forced on a job, but after sometime u get used to it ... probably u may like it even ... am not saying this in support of this concept ... but ths may happen ...

This is a difficult ... infact a very difficult decision by a woman ! anyways ...

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 01:45 PM
Hulkster

Kamal was already there playing second / joint hero type roles .....
It was KB who gave new dimension to Kamal by giving that character in Apoorva ragangal.....
IMO one of the best of Kamal

A youthful kamal at his best

look at the body language of kamal in this movie !

awesome

Hulkster
30th April 2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah...the film which gave us a small outlook of Kamal's talents....but sometimes i feel Balachander sir gives us stories which somewhat are quite towards the romantic/marriage side...he has never given us movies that have action...action may be not acceptable by our directors like balachander...but if these directors showed action in a realistic and logical manner within a good story setup...i dunt see why they cant accept it.

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 02:01 PM
bg

there are so many jobs possible but not this type of selling one's flesh

this characterisation of KB was one unacceptable to me

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 02:04 PM
Yeah...the film which gave us a small outlook of Kamal's talents....but sometimes i feel Balachander sir gives us stories which somewhat are quite towards the romantic/marriage side...he has never given us movies that have action...action may be not acceptable by our directors like balachander...but if these directors showed action in a realistic and logical manner within a good story setup...i dunt see why they cant accept it.

Hulkster

I think though he didnt experiment with action movies , he did through his own production ( annamalai ) etc

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 02:05 PM
there was a scenario once , any KB movie kamal will appear in brief....atleast in one scene.....

bingleguy
30th April 2006, 02:11 PM
so many possible ! but doesnt this happen in real life ... take a character like that girl Kaveri in Mahanadhi .. do u think that she loves that profession ... what will happen to those who are forced to enter that profession .... ?
or lets keep it this way ... she,being raped once..n forced with many other ppl and being sent to such a place ....

she wanted to come out of it ... she comes out ... wanted to get married ... she loves somebody ... Society know that she has been such a character ... what would Society do ?

will Society accept her in the society ?

will Society allow ur friend to marry her ?

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 02:24 PM
BG you are right......but what I didnt like in Arangetram is the way KB shows the character GETTING USED TO IT AND CONTINUE TO LIVE WITH IT.....
HE WILL NOT SHOW ANY SCENE TO PROVE THAT SHE TRIES TO COME OUT OF THAT SINFUL JOB
Not a worthy message ....

remember cinema is a very powerful medium

Kaveri character in Mahanadhi shows clearly that the poor small girl was unable to come out of the crutches of the powerful dadas in Kolkatta

Kamal gives a positive end to that movie by showing Rajesh's son getting married and well settled in life forgetting the bitter past

bingleguy
30th April 2006, 02:27 PM
Well ... true ...

Ys ... i know Kamal did an excellent decision ... but will it happen in this society !!!!!!
?

thats a million dollar question !

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 02:29 PM
BG

its a question mark even today ....

you are absolutely right .............

very few will come forward

bingleguy
30th April 2006, 02:31 PM
well about arangetram ... donno why he chose that move ?

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 02:31 PM
Again....the same KB showed another character KAVITHA in aval oru thodar kathai....

a young woman taking up the challenges of a struggling family ( almost similar like Arangetram ) ...... a useless elder brother ...father deserting the family ... dependant familymembers ...widow sister.....

KB makes the widow sister remarry her own lover ! thats sacrifying at the best levels possible !

Indeed excellent characterisation !!

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 02:34 PM
well about arangetram ... donno why he chose that move ?

Well KB is well known for taking up controversial issues and subjects .........

he was criticised as a sadist

He was an admired director those days for taking up different subjects ....Apoorva ragangal was one such ..... no end to the puzzle !

bingleguy
30th April 2006, 02:35 PM
Ys ... probably tat would have urged him to choose the track !

bingleguy
30th April 2006, 02:36 PM
:clap: aval oru thodar kadhai

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 02:40 PM
I could see the same character Kavitha in KB's teleserial PREMI ! and also that nandini character in Mandhil urudhi vendum

bingleguy
30th April 2006, 02:47 PM
hmn ? ! i didnt see premi fully !

I happ to see Sahana ... that was an awesome portrayal n continuation of sindhu bhairavi

Aalavanthan
30th April 2006, 02:55 PM
Come again sir? Without vulgarity in your dreams ah?? He took some of the subjects which are very very eccentric and he sprayed his vulgarity on the movie and in his screenplay.Alrght i accept that he gave good movies like "Thaneer Thaneer" but i am always against his "Apoorva Raagangal" or "Manmadha Leelai" kind of movies!! So Aalavandhan if you like to discuss on this topic..I am ready!!

Misunderstanding... I was just talking abt the fim Nakkeeran in my post.
BTW, you can stop calling me sir :wink:

Aalavanthan
30th April 2006, 03:02 PM
Req. Awareness:

For all those who talk abt the so-called "vulgarity" in KB's films, I have a statement to make. I am sure that all of us have watched all KB films including the "vulgarity" ones before we turned 18. Am sure those films are rated as A.
So whom to blame now ? Is it KB or the ignorance that we had.
I remember Kamal saying in an interview at the time of release of Kurudhi Punal for a question raised "have your daughters seen the movie", for which Kamal replied "No, they havent. they are still under 18 and the movie is certified A".

If this was followed, we would have appreciated all the creations of KB.

Hope that the theatres and televisions provide the "notification" abt the nature of the movie before the entire family sits in front of the television

Thanks..AV

Aalavanthan
30th April 2006, 03:04 PM
hmn ? ! i didnt see premi fully !

I happ to see Sahana ... that was an awesome portrayal n continuation of sindhu bhairavi
KB was hilarious in his teleserial "Kaasalavu Nesam".. He made a good attempt to bring quality comedy into televisions before Sun TV had problems with Minbimbangal :(

bingleguy
30th April 2006, 03:05 PM
I remember Kamal saying in an interview at the time of release of Kurudhi Punal for a question raised "have you daughters seen the movie", for which Kamal replied "No, they havent. they are still under 18 and the movie is certified A".

:clap: ... !

well namma oorladhaan certification is just a mere formality !

Panravangalum madhikardhu kidaiyaadhu
Paakaravangalum madhikardhu kidaiyaadhu
Kodukkaravangalum madhikardhu kidaiyaadhu !

then whats the use !

Shakthiprabha.
30th April 2006, 04:27 PM
Well said aalavanthan. For ppl who talk about vulgarity, tell me how many directors have u watched with plain scenes devoid of vulgarity? NAME SOME PLEASE (I am sure it would come to almost none)

There is a diff between, vulgarity in SCENES, and adult concepts. The concepts with KB dealt with were not new. IT did happen, does happen atleast 8 to 10 percent in India.

In avaL oru thodarkathai, THE SCENE WHICH SHRIDHAR mentioned.......... think bout it in a diff way. KB always is very suggestive in his scenes and dialogues. It talks about a WOMAN who EARNS, TAKES CARE OF THE FAMILY, SUPPORTS, STRUGGLES. So what happens to such women (esp one who is around 30, not married and we are talkin about 1960z or 70z)

Some of them become devoid of emotions, some of them think they are breadwinners and INCULCATE OR INJECT toughness in them. They forget they need to be sober, soft, or shy. I suppose thats what he wanted to portray. He wanted to portray her INDIFFERENCE towards her feminity. (though she did have kindness well hidden under her tough exterior)

There is a song in the movie which talks about her character.

kannilE enna undu kangalE ariyum
kallilE eeram undu kangalaa aariyum
en manam ennavendru ennai andri
yaarukku theriyum?????

WOMANLY feeling / shyness etc is lost in her. She had become rough BOTH IN ATTITUDE (by askin his brother to get out of the house) and in her bodily awareness. Any scene in that movie is JUST RIGHT in every way and within the limit.

thats bout it.

Next comes ARANGETRAM (I had not seen the movie earlier, but did see it couple of years back.)

I am sure, a woman who sells herself for money, would out of frustration repeat it as long as she gets money. She is sure she cant have a normal family life. Her family is in dire money needs. As such she has subjected herself to be willingly raped because of money, so WHAT DIFF does it make, IF ITS DONE few more times to get lil bucks? It is a common attitude which would be present in probably many women who are in financial need or under economic /social pressure.

KB RULED....... RULEZ. I love almost ALL OF HIS CHARACTER portrayal EXCEPT

''''''''''''KALKI''''''''

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 04:47 PM
I am sure, a woman who sells herself for money, would out of frustration repeat it as long as she gets money. She is sure she cant have a normal family life. Her family is in dire money needs. As such she has subjected herself to be willingly raped because of money, so WHAT DIFF does it make, IF ITS DONE few more times to get lil bucks? It is a common attitude which would be present in probably many women who are in financial need or under economic /social pressure

SP.....

ARANGETRAM :
I question this very approach / attitude of a woman
IMO, its an insult to a woman being portrayed like that...

THERE ARE SO MANY JOBS TO DO TO EARN MONEY ( WHATEVER MAY BE THE FINANCIAL PRESSURES )......

BUT NOT SELLING ONE'S FLESH .....

IT CAN NEVER BE GLORIFIED OR JUSTIFIED...

KB definitely faltered here....

But Kavitha character is a gem

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 04:50 PM
I am sure, a woman who sells herself for money, would out of frustration repeat it as long as she gets money. She is sure she cant have a normal family life. Her family is in dire money needs. As such she has subjected herself to be willingly raped because of money, so WHAT DIFF does it make, IF ITS DONE few more times to get lil bucks? It is a common attitude which would be present in probably many women who are in financial need or under economic /social pressure

SP.....

ARANGETRAM :
I question this very approach / attitude of a woman
IMO, its an insult to a woman being portrayed like that...

THERE ARE SO MANY JOBS TO DO TO EARN MONEY ( WHATEVER MAY BE THE FINANCIAL PRESSURES )......

BUT NOT SELLING ONE'S FLESH .....

IT CAN NEVER BE GLORIFIED OR JUSTIFIED...

KB definitely faltered here....

But Kavitha character is a gem

Hulkster
30th April 2006, 05:05 PM
Balaji sir...i feel balachander sir is actually trying to make a point to the audience through her character of a woman's suffering if she goes through such jobs and what might happen to her....balachanders films make you think and i believe balachander sir wants us to think what might happen if a woman takes this path and so on.

Moreover it is not really an insult to show woman in such characters...its actually a eye opening matter..we have to wake up to accept truths whether they are bitter or sweet...this is the same..its no use trying to hide them because they may be deemed as insults or asingam as this may affect our understanding of the real matter and what it actually is. Prostitution is not something anybody wants to take but i believe balachander sir wants us to get a feeling of the bad effects of prostitution and what it is doing to the world which is why he characterised as such.

Also through this role you can also get a feel of how woman suffer by doing such jobs...so its actually beneficial rather than insulting...i hope im not offending you and i dunt mean it but i guess your looking it from whether its asingam or not instead of looking at the message...i also feel very embarassed by vulgarities and such scenes but i can understand what they are trying to tell us...so that in a way is not really a insult.
Once again i aplogise if i have hurt your sentiments...:)

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 05:18 PM
Hulkster

no no not all..... I am not offended or upset...

infact I appreciate the way you have interpreted the same Arangetram character....

True.....its an eye opener....

What I am stressing here is that when there are plenty of other opportunities in this world for a woman / man to take up ...... why only prostitution ??

He could have shown the character trying her best to get a cultured job .....getting failed but finally resorting to his unholy job.....
it would have been more convincing .....
thats my opinion

He also shows the character getting used to the same and continues with that INSTEAD OF COMING OUT OF THAT MESS

The same KB also showed Kamal taking up the job of a barber ( DUE RESPECTS ) in Varumayin niram sigappu.....

I respect every profession ......

Hulkster
30th April 2006, 05:25 PM
Hmm...guess he made a mistake in fast forwarding the character in arangetram hoping that it can make a genuine impact on the viewer's mind about prostitution....i get a clearer view of your opinion now...thanks for your comments..:)

Sanguine Sridhar
30th April 2006, 05:36 PM
I am not at all against KB...Infact i am a big fan of his movies like Varumayin Niram Sivapu,Vaanamey Ellai,Thaneer Thaneer,Unnal Mudiyum Thambi etc., Even i have mentioned in the thread KB VS BR which was started by Balaji anna earlier!That had some wonderful arguements!! :twisted:

But i was really irritated for some of his movies!!! And i told you the reason and its my own perception.Ofcourse opinion differs..

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 05:36 PM
Hulkster....

I admire the kamal character in Unaal mudiyum thambi......

he clearly shows the generation gap, divide between a tradional ( pazamai vaadhi ) Father and a rational young son ......

whatever the son utters gets misinterpreted by Father and gets lashed....

Finally poetically the Father acknowledges openly feeling about his son

thats great !

Its an emotional scene when Kamal was pleading to take someone severely wounded and battling for life ......
while being bull dozed by his Father to get on with life

Kamal at his best displaying his frustration

KB once again shows his class !

Hulkster
30th April 2006, 05:38 PM
Yeah balaji sir....thats one aspect of KB..his characterisation...it is one part that never fails no matter whether his screenplay or storyline is screwed up...that is why i believe he is one of the best directors.

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 05:39 PM
I am not at all against KB...Infact i am a big fan of his movies like Varumayin Niram Sivapu,Vaanamey Ellai,Thaneer Thaneer,Unnal Mudiyum Thambi etc., Even i have mentioned in the thread KB VS BR started by Balaji anna!

But i was really irritated for some of his movies!!! And i told you the reason and its my own perception.Ofcourse opinion differs..

Welcome back Sanguine Sri dear :D

Enga aalayaa kanumaaynu ninachen !!!

so now well geared up :thumbsup:

Let me hear from you about arangetram character....

S.Balaji
30th April 2006, 05:47 PM
We generally from South often feel inferior about the artists , composers, directors ....and tend to worship persons like Satyajit Ray, Shyam Benegal etc ( OF COURSE THEY ARE GREAT )
but we tend to underestimate the SOuth Indian directors .....

KB was one who definitely deserves an ALL INDIA IMAGE like Shyam Benegal or Ray or Mrinal Sen

It was Ek thuje ..which made him famous in the North also

Sanguine Sridhar
30th April 2006, 06:00 PM
Instead of Arengetram i will take other movies where the family relationship was portrayed in a very worst manner!! If i am not wrong? I am not sure is this a way a genius think? Alright for discussion lets say how long we can sustain idiotic family centiments etc! Accepted that Mr.Genius wants to touch the weird,abnormal relationships..he shows that a person shares the bed with both mother and daughter!! Do you really think that people sees those movies for a message? They are just quenching their sexual thirst by entertaining those kind of movies,People who support those kind of movies keep your hand on your heart and tell me you like that movie for message? If so what message you got it? If no please dont talk about these movies directed by Mr.Genius! and start talking about his very good movies...

Hulkster
30th April 2006, 06:09 PM
It seems abit of a emotional tirade..but let me clear up...we as audience must be able to know what is right and what is wrong when we watch such movies...such movies have messages of the wrongdoings done by us and he has nothing to worry about bringing about a message being hidden behind our backs for long....it is up to us individuals to see how we interpret the movie...if we see the movie as sexual entertainment..its not the movie's fault...it is our fault for interpreting that way...most movies are misunderstood because of how people see it....if we are abit more understanding we can actually see the message instead of judging the movie by its scenes...:)

Sanguine Sridhar
30th April 2006, 06:18 PM
Really Hulk?? Is that so!! Cool so you look for the message in those movies!! You are the man!! 8-) But everybody wont be that this much descent like you? Okay lets stop this arguement here because i wont argue with a pure saint :wink:

Hulkster
30th April 2006, 06:19 PM
:lol:...saamiyar nu mudivu penniyacha..aduttha jayachandra swamigal naan thaana?....what other movies of KB appealed to you for their message?

Shakthiprabha.
1st May 2006, 08:12 PM
balaji,

I concede with ur opinion, yup...... she had better choices.

but u know balaji, the era which the movie was taken, WAS AN ORTHODOX ERA, where if a woman has lost her chastity, she would be spoken ill amongst normal ppl, in normal society.

Where do u think she can lead a torture free life?

The choices I suppose was between, being ridiculed among normal ppl, or to be with such a gang so that normal do not visit you.

I suppose thats the reason many such women continue being sex workers.

yup. I dont disagree ur point, it is valid.

Shridhar,

May I please know which movie u are talkin bout? I mean mother daughter family sentiments etc?

Thirumaran
1st May 2006, 09:06 PM
As i have not seen the movies...Manmatha Leelai, Arangetram..no comments on those...
However the title itself shows the for Manmatha Leelai, on what kind of story it was.
It is definetly an adult concept. I think the same could be applied to Arangetram.
Definetly Aboorva Raagangal is an adult concept. As aalavanthaan nicely pointed it is our
ignorance to be to be blamed, not the director.

When we talk abt vulgarity i can point few things.
Sridhar mentioned the scene abt scene in the song Aval oru thodarkathai..
Sp gave an very good explanation on what could have been in the director's mind. Kudos to SP.
Can anyone say that, that particular scene provokes anyone.

Coming to other 2 great directors MR and BR..
1. Remember Uyire song in Bombay, After she leaves her kurtha and then runs to see Arvindswamy.
2. When BR takes Village oriented movies, shows the women without Jacket. Which era he is in.
In Muthal mariyathai in a particular love sequence he even shows the back of Ranjini without a jacket,
which is absolutely not necessary.

This is what is vulgarity in my opinion. These scenes provokes you.

In few of KB movies you can see adult concepts. Not vulagarity.
It is us who had to chose the options.

Also in the name of commercialism, we see normally in allmost all the duet songs heroines are shown in the
least minimal dresses, which is actually called vulgarity. Several of those movies even have 'U' certificate.

I have come across certain people. Mentioning the kissing scenes comes in few Kamal movies as kulgar and not allowing
their children to see those kamal's movies. But they happily enjoy with the famile a movie like "Dhool". You can see a
girl comes out in public with 2 piece dresses, vivek making comments on that and the song sequences.
They will enjoy that.
This is the state. Ignorance on not knowing what is vulgarity..

Even if you consider those as vulgarity, then that is applicable to all the directors.

As of now i want to point out directorial touch of KB..
1. In Ek Tu je Ke liye, when the heroine' father identifies Kamal photo with rathi and burns, then asks
rathi what she will do. Now rathi mixes the ashes of the nurnt photo and drinks. There u see KB, the great.
2. Vaaname Ellai, when all these youngsters are adamant on commiting suicide, Madan suggests them to see a person.
When we are waiting on who could be person, KB shows an handicapped who succeeded in his life mainining +ve attitude
towards society. anyone in that position(commiting suicide) would have changed his mind.
KB rulez :thumbsup:

There are more. Will talk in coming days.

The only one who would have handled different concepts, different personalites with acceptable as well as different approcah
is KB only.

He is definetly the best among the all.
As other he too have drawbacks. When comparing with positives and talents, those were very negligible.

I am eagerly expecting his movie Poi. :)

great
1st May 2006, 09:09 PM
TM , you have seen manmathaleelai :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

r_o_j_a
1st May 2006, 09:12 PM
i liked tele serials such as Premi and kailavu manasu...
but kalki was rubbish

Thirumaran
1st May 2006, 09:16 PM
TM , you have seen manmathaleelai :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No i have not seen. :o

Sanguine Sridhar
1st May 2006, 09:23 PM
Maran,
Why you need other directors to hype your "Genius"?...Have you seen Bala movies? Can you give one scene in his 3 movies where the Heroines or other females has shown atleast their navel!!? Remember Bala is in current generation!

You are talking about censor and other stuffs..can you watch those movies with your teen-age son or daughter! If you say yes then you are exceptional if not kindly think thrice!!

IMO Balachander apart from his adult oriented stuffs he is a good director!! His movie "Kalki" is the worst crap which i have ever seen! :evil: If any people argue that this movie is really good tell me the reasons i am ready to argue!!

Thirumaran
1st May 2006, 09:31 PM
Maran,
Why you need other directors to hype your "Genius"?...Have you seen Bala movies? Can you give one scene in his 3 movies where the Heroines or other females has shown atleast their navel!!? Remember Bala is in current generation!

You are talking about censor and other stuffs..can you watch those movies with your teen-age son or daughter! If you say yes then you are exceptional if not kindly think thrice!!

IMO Balachander apart from his adult oriented stuffs he is a good director!! His movie "Kalki" is the worst crap which i have ever seen! :evil: If any people argue that this movie is really good tell me the reasons i am ready to argue!!

Common man. You are trying to compare one who took 100 movies with the one who just took 3 movies. However what u will say for the first song where Jyothilakhmy dances in Sethu.

I can list atleast 20 movies of KB without those scenes u mentioned.

That censor stuff already mentioned. I may not take my teenage son or daughter to those movies as they are for adults.

I too is not under estimating any other directors. Just pointing out the mistakes. Every one including KB had drawbacks.
I too have great respects for MR, BR or anyone in the history who gave quality movies including Bala.
:)

terminator
1st May 2006, 09:48 PM
Varalaatru Suvadukal

Balachandar and his movies..

Today abt his movie ARANGETTRAM..

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=255182&disdate=5/1/2006

terminator
1st May 2006, 09:52 PM
Varalaatru Suvadukal

MGR invited KB to Tamil Cine field. KB wrote dialogue for Deivathaai..

Article with KB's early days photos.. :D

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=254157&disdate=4/25/2006

Thirumaran
1st May 2006, 10:00 PM
Those were nice articles Termi :D

Shakthiprabha.
1st May 2006, 10:02 PM
Tm,

Manmadhaleelai, THEME AND STORY is an adult concept.
It talks about a guy who craves after women (I mean species called women, irrespective of age, caste, relationship etc). He is actually not a bad person, I suppose it would be shown as his weakness.

The theme was handled very well, EXCEPT THE fact as to hwo heroine gets convinced regarding her hus!

It SHOULD BE SEEN WITH THE THOUGHT THAT IT IS AN ADULT MOVIE. (strictly an adult movie)

Some words he listens to, as a curse for the weakness he has, would hurt not only him, but also the audience as they are supposedly TOO SHARP.

terminator
1st May 2006, 10:03 PM
Varalaatru Suvadukal

IRUKOADUKAL won President's Award

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=254422&disdate=4/28/2006

terminator
1st May 2006, 10:05 PM
Those were nice articles Termi :D

Dinathanthi deserves it... :D

I couldnt get the 26th and 27th articles.. :(

Thirumaran
1st May 2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks SP.

I have come across the story of ML. Nee to watch. :)

rajeshkrv
1st May 2006, 10:52 PM
K.Balachander

ICON of Tamil film Industry .

People here just take 2 or 3 films of his and criticise about him..

fine ..

He is the only director who never cared for big heroes, heroines, Famous Music Directors etc etc. but could give good films

Starting from

Neerkumizhi .. Just hospital background was enough for him but his characterization is outstanding
Edhir neechal - My god .. Each chanracter is remembered even today .. Pattu mami, Maadhu, Kittu mama, chettan etc..
Iru kodugal - This is another awesome movie and again characterisation, song sequences all were realistic
Bama vijayam - He could give Serious and comedy movies and this is one such example.. How brilliant he was in this movie

and the list will be big.. How many different stories and how many different characters and how many new actors/actresses he introduced..

Sujatha was a brilliant find of KB .. She gave excellent performance in Aval oru thodar kadhai but her best was Noolveli under KB

He is one man who along with Sridhar turned tamil cinema in a real path .

Name a topic and he had made film on that

Music - Sindhu bairavi
Social - Unnal mudiyum thambi

Jadhi malli - another beuatiful movie by KB which shows how matured love and teen love

Agni saatchi - brilliant performance by saritha

Many more to add .. He's definitely one of the pioneer for all the directors if we say he showed vulgarity in some films like Manmadha leelai etc.. he had predicted how every film in the current age would be .. Now every film sells on flesh

he is Iyakkunar Sigaram - no doubt about that

Shakthiprabha.
1st May 2006, 11:19 PM
if we say he showed vulgarity in some films like Manmadha leelai etc.. he had predicted how every film in the current age would be .. Now every film sells on flesh

he is Iyakkunar Sigaram - no doubt about that

:clap:

Vulgarism in his movies was BECAUSE OF NECESSITY for the story

Nowadays its because MOVIE HAS TO SELL.

Thirumaran
1st May 2006, 11:49 PM
That was a nice Post rajesh.

As u said, Kb could be the only one who would have touched many concepts and many characters.

Right SP,

Vulgarism in his movies was BECAUSE OF NECESSITY for the story. Though it depends whether they could be categorized as Vulgar or no.

kannannn
2nd May 2006, 03:03 AM
KB is undoubtedly one of the most influential and important filmmakers of our times. I immensely enjoyed 'Apoorva Raagangal', 'Nizhal Nijamagirathu' (I rate 'illakanam marutho..' as the best situational song in Tamil film history. In fact, I bought the movie for this song), 'Thaneer Thaneer' and 'Achchamillai Achchamillai'. However, I wouldn't go far as to call him a genius though some of his films did have streaks of genius.

He was great in portraying human relationships, but most of his characterisations and situations had incredibility written all over them. 'Punnagai Mannan', 'Sindhu Bairavi' and 'Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal' are cases in point.

IMHO, he was not a master of subtlety. His characters and characterisations are almost always loud. He probably didn't know of other ways of getting his message and story across. Maybe that's because he is from the world of stage plays.

Infact, it is the loudness that sometimes steal the punch his movies could otherwise have. I know I am bringing a topic on which much arguments have been put forth, but can't help it. 'Nizhalgal' tells much more effectively the problem of unemployment and frustration of youth than 'Varumayin Niram Sigappu' (anyone else in KH's place, and the film would have been damp). 'Vedam Pudhidhu' is the best film on casteism and 'Karuthamma' and 'Pudhumai Penn' are much more effective in showcasing women's empowerment than any of KB's films. I know KB has much more variety in his kitty than BR, but at the end of the day his films lack the punch that BR's films carry.

I find myself asking many a times: why did KB not use his affluence among film goers to introduce concepts that was the new wave in '70's and '80's. Even Balu Mahendra attempted films in that genre in tamil, though late. Why couldn't KB attempt a 'veedu' or 'sandhya raagam'? Maybe it's too late to find an answer.

umaramesh
2nd May 2006, 03:27 PM
I heard that KB is planning for MAMATHA LEELAI part II(long back kamal also hinted). They approached Thanush but he decided not to act and they are planning to sign with SIMBU .Enjoy.

I think KB is always want's to handle abnormal characters & relationship between people where it is not common in reality.

ABROOVA RAGANGAL: Kamal -Srividya(ireespective of age)Major-jayasudha&one more woman running behind with major.

Sollathaan ninaikeran: jayasudha marries Poornam-run away with kamal

Aval oru thodar kathai- Where jayasudha mother sleeps with her daughter's lover.

Manmatha leelai: we all know the story.

Nizhal Neejam Agirathu-Sarat babu cheates shoba.same story in NOOL VELLI.

Achamillai-Rajesh marries saritha&started liking another women. This sequence is not required . Enough to show Rajesh as corrupted man to get killed by his wife.

Whether KB try to glorify particular sex or degrading other one?

ramesh

S.Balaji
2nd May 2006, 03:37 PM
Ramesh

for most of your questions, only KB can answer ...........

you know well that KB was a very controversial director those days...

invited severe criticism ( though had huge following also ) for showing different characters with different cross relationships......

true..... somebody whom you should look as a daughter looks at you as her life partner ( Apporva ragangal )

However, the Jayasudha character and also of Major's in Apporva ragangal NEVER HAD ANY VULGARITY OR SEX AS THEIR AGENDA...

ITS SEVERAL TRAITS OF MAJOR WHICH SHE ADMIRES AND DECIDES THAT HE IS HER BEST MATCH REGARDLESS OF THE AGE DIFFERENCE....

Infact Major himself chides Jayasudha for having even thought about such a manner when he never had such thoughts .....
but KB shows the gradual change of heart by Major and decides to accept her finally before coming across his own son trying to marry Jayasudha's mother !!

and here only the confusion arises in the movie.....
otherwise, IMHO, Apoorva ragangal was one of the most unique and novel theme of the 70s. I wonder any movie had been made ( or even thought about except VIDUKATHAI )

KB was far ahead of times ........

S.Balaji
2nd May 2006, 03:40 PM
In a way I will appreciate / admire Barathi Raja for having shown POETICALLY the excellent relationship between Nadigar thilagam and Radha character in MUDHAL MARIYAADHAI....despite the age differences, they could jell as the elderly character finds the solace and comfort which he could not get from his wife
WE HAD TWO GREAT CREATIVE DIRECTORS KB AND BR .....

terminator
2nd May 2006, 03:51 PM
Varalatru Suvadugal

Details abt the movies.. Sollathan Ninaikkirean, Naan Avanillai, Aval Oru THodarkathai...

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=255349&disdate=5/2/2006

rami
2nd May 2006, 04:03 PM
Any director will be willing to handle a different storyline.. But they are afraid to deal with it..

All these things said above are happening in the society... His films dont suggest all women are like this..
They just show the lives of such unique and complex characters...

umaramesh
2nd May 2006, 04:05 PM
To an exten we can say VERY DARE TO PUT SUCH CHARACTERS.
Even in AVAL ORU THODAR KATHAI, particular scene where kid cries continously without attention.sujatha will come out and shock to see jaiganesh with his wife.

SAMPATHIKA THOOPILLATHA UNAKU INTHU ORU KEDA.

Very to difficult to handle such characters in screen and KB did that in so many movies. You might ask why such scenes required? what message will it deliver? Only KB can answer?

I cannot accept even suhasini character in sindhu bhiarvi,? very difficult to accept in reality. KB always use to show woman as strong minded throught out the movie ,very disciplined/fight for others but in climax they will sacrifice everything for love. :lol:

ramesh

S.Balaji
2nd May 2006, 04:10 PM
Ramesh

You have chosen a real hard hitting ....striking scene in AOT ....
I would appreciate KB in this scene as Kavitha ( younger sister to Jaiganesh and normally a male member is supposed to lead the family with responsibilities ) .... had every right to question Jaiganesh character ......
besides, he will be a drunkard, without job, a family with kids but still didnt have any intention to take care of his family leave alone other members of the family....
IT WAS A TELLING BLOW TO THAT CHARACTER...

For some only if you convey messages like this, they will listen to ...

I will appreciate KB for this presentation....

mgb
2nd May 2006, 05:21 PM
Balaji

In "sollathan ninaikiren" also i feel the strategy adopted by jayachitra to stop jayasudha to elope with kamal could have been avoided. Hard to digest somebody will do that.

bingleguy
2nd May 2006, 06:18 PM
His Small Screen entry choice was a RIGHT decision for a director to make ...

Idhunaala situation kku and current day kku kidaikira mariyaadhaiyum avar kaapathikittaaru !

Kalai ulagathukku GURU nnu perum vaangittaaru !

S.Balaji
2nd May 2006, 06:21 PM
He was highly successful in small screen also !

again, he could quickly adopt himself to the changing world !

kannannn
2nd May 2006, 06:36 PM
In "sollathan ninaikiren" also i feel the strategy adopted by jayachitra to stop jayasudha to elope with kamal could have been avoided. Hard to digest somebody will do that.
That's KB! Most of his characters and their actions border on absurdity. That was fine in the '70's, but frankly, I think his characterisations became too repititive and this was all the more glaring as he made the transition to movies in color.

He was highly successful in small screen also
I remember liking his 'Rail Snegam'. One of the few serials that I have watched to the end.

S.Balaji
2nd May 2006, 06:40 PM
I think rail snegam was one of the first of THODAR SERIALS ....
Nizalgal Ravi and Baby Indra or Rani acted...

lovely serial which had the title song...Indha veenaikku theriyaadha .......

and it was typical KB ...... the climax was nice with the daughter realising the truth and breaking down before her Father....

truely a lovely serial..............

bingleguy
2nd May 2006, 06:57 PM
ys ... Rayil Sneham ... excellent portrayal !

S.Balaji
2nd May 2006, 07:05 PM
One movie which I couldnt see KB was Pudhu pudhu arthangal....
KB was totally absent !?
A normal KB used to give songs with some purpose ....rather situation oriented songs....but this movie had several songs without any susbtance or reason.........

though the songs were very popular

this showed that KB was ageing

VENKIRAJA
9th November 2006, 06:18 PM
THE LIVING LEGEND.
THATS ENOUGH.
WANNA TALK ABOUT HIM?THIS IS UR DESTINATION

nilavupriyan
9th November 2006, 06:30 PM
the most daring film maker

bulb_mani
9th November 2006, 07:02 PM
I wish he makes thilu mulu part 2 with Rajini and a film with kamal again :D

MADDY
9th November 2006, 08:10 PM
i guess his period is long over.......come on guys, ppl. are arguing whether mani shuld make a movie then i guess KB has past his creative best.......

but his Punnagai Mannan and Duet are 2 most fav films of mine.....

great
9th November 2006, 09:24 PM
THE LIVING LEGEND.
THATS ENOUGH.
WANNA TALK ABOUT HIM?THIS IS UR DESTINATION

Already we have one thread on KBalachandar.

Poor anathu has never got the due recognition :(

joe
9th November 2006, 09:26 PM
KBalachandar.

I think Kamal dedicated one of his movies to Ananthu? which one? :roll:

great
9th November 2006, 09:32 PM
KBalachandar.

He directed sigaram and not to forget of guna song

Appan endrum ammai endrum song :D

joe
9th November 2006, 09:34 PM
KBalachandar.

He directed sigaram and not to forget of guna song

Appan endrum ammai endrum song :D

I know..I know great..But After his death ,one of the kamal production movie title card ,kamal dedicated the movie to him.

great
9th November 2006, 09:53 PM
Konjam clue kudungO !!!

joe
9th November 2006, 09:57 PM
Konjam clue kudungO !!!

Ithu enna vasanathukku vasanama? Naane theriyama than unga kitta kekkuren :lol: .But I am sure It is one of the kamal production after Devarmagan.

great
9th November 2006, 09:58 PM
Konjam clue kudungO !!!

Ithu enna vasanathukku vasanama? Naane theriyama than unga kitta kekkuren :lol: .But I am sure It is one of the kamal production after Devarmagan.

Oh !! I thought you know the answer :oops:

RC
9th November 2006, 10:02 PM
I too remember Ananthu's name being mentioned before the titles start... gnabagathukku vallayE... :(

Nerd
9th November 2006, 10:03 PM
Hey raam I think :?

joe
9th November 2006, 10:10 PM
Hey raam I think :?

Naanum appadi thaan ninaikkuren :)

kb
9th November 2006, 10:15 PM
irrundhaaalum enaku oru thread aaramikkarathellam too much :lol: :yessir:

btw.. somehow.. i hated KB movies.. may be if i watch those now.. it will be apt :?

great
10th November 2006, 06:03 PM
btw.. somehow.. i hated KB movies.. may be if i watch those now.. it will be apt :?

:yes: you might like, so many movies to pick from ex

Neer Kumizhi, Edhir Neechal, Azhagan, Unnal Mudiyum Thambi, Sindhu Bhairavai the lissssssst goes on !!!

bulb_mani
10th November 2006, 06:42 PM
kb watch Thilu Mulu its a terrific laugh riot :lol:

leosimha
10th November 2006, 06:48 PM
KBalachandar.

joe...is it NAMMAVAR.....I think it is....

great
10th November 2006, 06:55 PM

I dont think so :?

Nammavar was not produced by Raj Kamal

leosimha
10th November 2006, 06:57 PM

I dont think so :?

Nammavar was not produced by Raj Kamal

oh is it....then I am wrong....but Nammavar was dedicated to one close friend of Kamal...I thought it was Ananthu...I don't remember well...

VENKIRAJA
10th November 2006, 08:33 PM
K. Balachander is a film director, writer, and producer from Tamil Nadu. He was born in 1930 in Nannilam, Thanjavur, India. Throughout his career, he has encouraged growth in the Tamil film industry in South India, and introduced many successful actors, such as Kamal Haasan and Rajinikanth. He is a recipient of the Padma Shri award. He has directed about 100 feature films and some TV serials.

Landmark films
Rudraveena
Ethiroli
Moonru Mudichu
Poi
47 Natkal
Oru Veedu Iru Vaasal
Parthale Paravasam
Kalki
Azhagan
Vaaname Ellai
Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal
Sindhu Bhairavi
Unnaal Mudiyum Thambi
Punnagai
Varumayin Niram Sivappu
Achamillai, Achamillai
Thanneer, Thanneer
Ninaithalae Innikkum
Thillu Mullu
Manmadha Leelai
Avargal (1977)
Aval Oru Thodargathai
Apoorva Raagangal
Arangetram
Punnagai Mannan
Nootrukku Nooru
Iru Kodugal
Navagiraham
Mezhuguvarthy
Naanal
Server Sundaram (Story & Dialogues Only)
Major Chandrakanth
Neerkkumuzhi (1965)
Ethir Neechal
Sigaram
Duet
Bama Vijayam
Sollathan Ninaikiraen
Thamarai Nenjam
Thappu Thaalangal
Poi Kaal Kudhirai
Poova Thalaya
Ek Duje Keliye
Marocharithra
Kaaviya Thalaivi
Pathaam Pasili
Nizhal Nijamakiradhu
Nool Veli
Kanna Nalama
Anubavi Raja Anubavi
Nan Avanillai
Ek Nayi Paheli
Manahtil Urudhi Vaendum
Agni Satchi
Kalyana Agadhigal

Landmark TV Serials
Rayil Sneham
Kai Alavu Manasu
Sahana
kasalavu nesam
premi
jannal
kadhal pagadai
sindhu bhairavi-2

*he's also a producer of several serials and films.

Award winning films
Four of his films won "Best Regional film" awards at the Indian National Film Awards.

Iru Kodugal
Apoorva Raagangal
Thanneer, Thanneer
Achamillai, Achamillai

kb
10th November 2006, 09:47 PM
one personal question about K balachander..

avaru marraige life paththi yaaro sollungalaen..

wife,children paththi :?

bulb_mani
10th November 2006, 09:50 PM
one personal question about K balachander..

avaru marraige life paththi yaaro sollungalaen..

wife,children paththi :?

Wife -- Cinema

Children --> Kamal, Rajini , Vivek , Prakashraj :wink:

Erica
11th November 2006, 02:51 AM
I hate KB movies for his introduction of filthy concepts and disgusting relationships :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hulkster
11th November 2006, 09:21 AM
:notthatway: erica

KB's movies brought out the reality that was happening in life...that is the exploitation of women and the many relationships that they usually get in. Somemore he created a trend for portraying human emotions in such scripts. Good movies are not movies that are always aimed at making people happy..rather movies which highlight reality packed in a different script is what makes them good...and in that case KB is certainly a imayam. :D

Sinthiya
13th November 2006, 03:30 AM
irrundhaaalum enaku oru thread aaramikkarathellam too much :lol: :yessir:
:lol: ...i thought so too when is saw the name of the thread... :lol: ...

KB director :roll: ...no comments...

ajithfederer
13th November 2006, 03:57 AM
oh common....... ippdi sollitaa eppdi :lol:

I hate KB movies for his introduction of filthy concepts and disgusting relationships :evil: :evil: :evil:

smith
13th November 2006, 06:03 PM
Frankly KB should retire. His last film, parthale paravasam was a disaster (commercially & critically). In fact, a lot of credit given to him is also due to Ananthu who unfortunatley died early. After his demise, PP was released & it showed.

His latest film Poi is still in the cans waiting for buyers.

Coming to Poi, it is a "poi" that PP was his 100th film. KB himself admitted in an interview to outlook that PP is his 100th creation & not his 100th film per se. But the titles showed otherwise.

Film guys never know when to take the bow gracefully & KB is no exception.

Erica
13th November 2006, 09:39 PM
:notthatway: erica

KB's movies brought out the reality that was happening in life...that is the exploitation of women and the many relationships that they usually get in. Somemore he created a trend for portraying human emotions in such scripts. Good movies are not movies that are always aimed at making people happy..rather movies which highlight reality packed in a different script is what makes them good...and in that case KB is certainly a imayam. :D
:lol: Hulk, KB fanaaaaa?

ok :D . i accept that a good director is the one who brings out the reality in life......... but, i don't think all KB movies were based on reality ( ofcourse there are some exceptions).............. Most of his movies has atleast one controversial relationship subject. :roll: Ofcourse, We read a lot of unbelievable happenings in newspaper everyday and i agree that such immoral relations may exist in our society :shock: but, what do you think is the use of bringing out this reality on screen. What has to be it's main motive?................. I think it has to enlighten the people by showing them that these are condemnable behaviors and should not misguide the people by just showing them that this is the so called REALITY. This way of KB's portrayal would really encourage the illiterate audience........... you and me, being educated and exposed to the modern world, would be able to understand which is right, and which is wrong............ but just imagine an illiterate villager....... he/she doesn't read books, no internet, no educated friends,etc.,......... all they have is TV and Cinema, which is how they picturize the whole world would be............. in their view, whatever the hero/heroine does will be taken as an acceptable reality............. and unfortunately, they are the part of our society who gets affected the most...........so a director has to be very cautious in handling these kind of subjects............ KB fails here and i don't like the way he handles them :poke:

Such controversial subjects were really handled well by directors like sjs in Vaali and swaamy in uyir. again, kalabha kadhala was a let down.

Ofcourse, KB is indeed a Sigaram for his interesting portrayal of different scripts :clap: .......... but he always spreads out the wrong message............that's why i said, KB movies introduces a remote reality to the whole society :D ........... even his serial sahana was disappointing. :(

bulb_mani
13th November 2006, 09:41 PM
whom do u think was the best during the times of KB? SP muthuraman? :?

Erica
13th November 2006, 09:41 PM

vera eppadippa solradhu :lol: It's a fact :D

ajithfederer
13th November 2006, 09:49 PM
even i dont like kb........kalkee was such a :x

vera eppadippa solradhu :lol: It's a fact :D

Nerd
13th November 2006, 09:53 PM
Yo guys lots of K.B. Bashing huh..

He has made 100 movies and you guys are targetting a few in the LOT. Have you seen his b/w movies ?? Those are my favourite.

neerkumizhi
major chandrakant -- my most fav nAgEsh performance, IMO better than ethir neechal.
ethir neechal
iru kOdugaL
avargaL
moonRu mudichu
anubhavi rAjA anubhave -- nice comedy.

bulb_mani
13th November 2006, 09:54 PM
Yo guys lots of K.B. Bashing huh..

He has made 100 movies and you guys are targetting a few in the LOT. Have you seen his b/w movies ?? Those are my favourite.

neerkumizhi
major chandrakant -- my most fav nAgEsh performance, IMO better than ethir neechal.
ethir neechal
iru kOdugaL
avargaL
moonRu mudichu

:thumbsup:

great
13th November 2006, 09:56 PM
neerkumizhi
ethir neechal
iru kOdugaL
avargaL
moonRu mudichu

awesome movies !!! Even if watched umpteen number of times you wont get bored. There are movies which can be added to the list.

Sindhu Bhairavi , Punnagai mannan , Bhama vijayam , 100/100 etc etc

Nerd
13th November 2006, 10:01 PM
yeh great I havent listed his color movies yet.

We can add:

thanneer thanneer -- Simply amazing, the way he handles the water problem. Excellent acting as well.

vaRumayin niRam sigappu -- In my top 10 fav KH list

avaL oru thodarkathai -- B/W

vaanamE ellai -- Almost a great movie :)

Thillu mullu -- Though it was a remake, I think it fared better than the original.

ek tujE keLiyE/marocharitra -- monstrous hits.

nizhal nijamaagiradhu -- again my personal favourite.

Comparing him with SJ Surya is DISGUSTING to say the least :hammer:

Erica
13th November 2006, 10:02 PM
Yep. he is indeed a wonderful director and most of his b/w movies were awesome.

but to his credit, he has equal list of controversial movies too....... :roll:

great
13th November 2006, 10:06 PM

I love this movie .

Azhgan :thumbsup:

Erica
13th November 2006, 10:06 PM
:notthatway: I was just referring to the portrayal of controversial part :oops: not much directors handle such concepts.

I accept that KB is incomparable and sjs is no where near his horizon :roll:

bulb_mani
13th November 2006, 10:12 PM
:notthatway: I was just referring to the portrayal of controversial part :oops: not much directors handle such concepts.

KB hasnt directed any action movies or crime thrillers like sigappu rojakkal? :?

nilavupriyan
13th November 2006, 10:14 PM
Nizhal nijamagiradhu - my favourite among KB's movies!

Thanneer thaneer - powerful movie...political sattire at its best...when road construction starts...people starts shouting...election vandhachu...a guy goes to election booth for drinking good water) :rotfl:

vanamey ellai - wonderful movie

Punnagai mannan - musical love story...well handled

thillu mullu - visu helped a lot!

unnaal mudiyum thambi- great movie

Nerd
13th November 2006, 10:15 PM
How did I forget

UnnAl mudiyum thambi -- Influential movie :thumbsup:

Erica
13th November 2006, 10:15 PM

KB hasnt directed any action movies or crime thrillers like sigappu rojakkal? :?

:confused2: meaning????

great
13th November 2006, 10:18 PM
How did I forget

Yes it is :thumbsup: almost 85% of his movies are amazing

nilavupriyan
13th November 2006, 10:18 PM
How did I forget

that "samayakara thaatha" charecter is wonderful!...greatly influential

Nerd
13th November 2006, 10:22 PM
aaNdavan namakku reNdu kai kuduthirukkAru. onnu namakku innonnu aduthavangaLukku udhavuradhukku (First scene) :thumbsup:

btw, I think 100/100 can be classifed as a thriller, I may be wrong :roll:

great
13th November 2006, 10:23 PM
In KB movies Music has always been great be it IR , M.M.Kree aka maragathamani whoever it may be :)

nilavupriyan
13th November 2006, 10:25 PM
aaNdavan namakku reNdu kai kuduthirukkAru. onnu namakku innonnu aduthavangaLukku udhavuradhukku (First scene) :thumbsup:

btw, I think 100/100 can be classifed as a thriller, I may be wrong :roll:

oru manusan indha boomila porandhadhukku aadharama indha mannukku yedhavadhu seyyanum...ennala koyilo kolamo katta mudiyuma..adhan naane en kaiyala indha sedigala valakuren ...apurama adha oor ellaila poi nattu vaikiren!

K.B ta enaku puduchadhu solla vandha vishayatha nethila adicha nachunnu soldra style!

Dialogues are so powerful

joe
13th November 2006, 10:25 PM
How did I forget

You forgot Sindu Pairavi too :)

great
13th November 2006, 10:26 PM
Joe that has been mentioned in the previous page

nilavupriyan
13th November 2006, 10:30 PM
How did I forget

You forgot Sindu Pairavi too :)

sindu bairavai...mmm..i dont like any of his movies based on bigamy ...

that too paarthale paravasam ... :banghead:

his social themes are always great treats

joe
13th November 2006, 10:31 PM
KB's entry to cinema is through a MGR movie :o Deiva Thai ,he wrote story and dialogues(?).

KB directed only one NT movie 'Ethiroli' .Though it is a good movie ,Huge expectation and NT's role is negative ,movie bombed at box office.

nilavupriyan
13th November 2006, 10:32 PM
KB's entry to cinema is through a MGR movie :o Deiva Thai ,he wrote story and dialogues(?).

KB directed only one NT movie 'Ethiroli' .Though it is a good movie ,Huge expectation and NT's role is negative ,movie bombed at box office.

nice movie...with those kattalais and NT as lawyer..right?

joe
13th November 2006, 10:33 PM

nice movie...with those kattalais and NT as lawyer..right?

Yes :D

joe
13th November 2006, 10:34 PM
Ethir Neechal ,Bhama Vijayam ,Server Sundaram are great entertainments.

P_R
15th November 2006, 01:44 AM
KBalachandar.

It was Hey Ram. Ananthu had passed away before the movie released. The title card shows a pic of Ananthu writing and also a few lines read out by Kamal:

இங்குதான் அனைத்துமே
போவதென்ப தெவ்விடம்
உமது நல்ல சீடருள்
அவர்கள் புனையும் கதைகளுள்
என்றும் வாழ வாழ்த்துவேன்
அந்தம் அறு அனந்தனை

joe
15th November 2006, 02:37 PM
KBalachandar.

It was Hey Ram. Ananthu had passed away before the movie released. The title card shows a pic of Ananthu writing and also a few lines read out by Kamal:

இங்குதான் அனைத்துமே
போவதென்ப தெவ்விடம்
உமது நல்ல சீடருள்
அவர்கள் புனையும் கதைகளுள்
என்றும் வாழ வாழ்த்துவேன்
அந்தம் அறு அனந்தனை

VENKIRAJA
16th November 2006, 07:52 PM
yeh great I havent listed his color movies yet.

We can add:

thanneer thanneer -- Simply amazing, the way he handles the water problem. Excellent acting as well.

vaRumayin niRam sigappu -- In my top 10 fav KH list

avaL oru thodarkathai -- B/W

Thillu mullu -- Though it was a remake, I think it fared better than the original.

ek tujE keLiyE/marocharitra -- monstrous hits.

nizhal nijamaagiradhu -- again my personal favourite.

thillu mullu:a remake?

great
16th November 2006, 08:03 PM

Yes, it was remake of hindi film GOl Maal

VENKIRAJA
16th November 2006, 08:04 PM

cast n crew?

P_R
17th November 2006, 10:16 AM

cast n crew?
Golmaal is one of the funniest Hindi films of all time.
Hrishikesh Mukherjee directed it. Amol Palekar played the lead. And Utpal Dutt played the role which ThEngai played.

Music by RD Burman. (aanawala pal, jaanewala hai)

NOV
26th December 2006, 07:05 AM
K. Balachander's Poi is the movie of the year!

Only one cinema was running the movie in the Klang valley and at the 9pm show, there was hardly a crowd of 50. Poi has been touted as KB's 101st movie and was in production for a long time. Producer is KB-find-Prakash Raj, who also has a role in the movie.

Poi will definitely not find favour with today's generation. There is no kuthu song, no foreign locations, no group dancing, no 5 minute fights, no sexy heroine in wet clothes, no double entrendes, no graphics, no, no, no.

But as typical of KB movies, you come out of the cinema hall thinking. Even my kids enjoyed the movie (although I wished it ended differently) and we spent some time discussing the movie!

The basic theme of the movie is a battle between desire and fate, which are given forms in the movie (KB himself and Prakashraj). The game they play is Snakes & Ladders. The love theme used in the movie is incidental; it could be any other part of life.

Like Gods of Heaven the gamemasters make their moves. Fate, with his silent laughter, doesn't throw the dice. In one sequence he says, when you get what you want you call it luck, if not, you blame it on fate!

Coming to the story, it is a simple love story. Hero has clashes with his father and decides to disappear to Colombo. There he meets a girl who he thinks can be his ideal partner. He proposes, she disposes. Fate intervenes and brings in a third person in play - a past love. Girl pits one man against another and then finds that she is indeed in love with one. Just as the fruit is in reachable distance, girl makes unusual request. We are now at the end of the game. A throw of two will complete the game, while a throw of one will bring the dice back to starting point. Which will it be?

KB proves that he is the master of celluloid, with his skillful play. Every single frame, character, song, dialogue is intertwined against each other. Sit back and listen to the story teller as he crafts his story against your racy mind.

Actors: KB is known as the man who can make even a rock act. He is the Director who introduced today's super stars of Rajini and Kamal, and not to mention several others including Vivek and Prakashraj. In this movie, the leads are new thus being able to live the story without any other associations. Needless to say, both leads played to perfection. Uday who looks like Surya some instances, is funny, weird, witty, laughs, cries and is carefree youth personified. Heroine makes statements with her eyes.
Secondary characters are great too - some we know (like Renuka) while some others make their first big screen appearance. But talents are abound.

Songs: All songs are incidental to the movie. Listen to the lyrics and understand the movie better. Hitler pennE hitler pennE is already popular to an extent and can be heard on the soundwaves.

Hero is unable to pronounce the second La (in Tamil) and several funny sequences follows. Eventually he masters the pronunciation and sings a song complete with all words with the second La. :)
For the first time ever, a song begins with LaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLa (2nd la). Who else but SP Bala can do justice to such a song. For people who do not know how to pronounce the 2nd La, this song is a good exercise. :thumbsup:

Music: Vidhyasagar brings life to the movie with his background music, complete with dts effect. Besides SPB, Shankar Mahadevan also belts out with his powerful vocals.

Camera: must be mentioned. Poi is poetry in motion as the sceneries of Colombo is magnificiently captured in celluloid. Plenty of seaside images gives the movie a holiday feel.

And lastly, why the title Poi?
What is not Poi in our lives?

Verdict: Five Stars

Another review: http://movies.sulekha.com/tamil/poi/review/pageno-1.htm

NOV
26th December 2006, 07:59 AM
Poi will surely evoke extreme reactions. Some will swear by it. While some others will swear at it.

But make no mistake, Poi is not a lie. It is truth and like all truths it is good for some not so for others.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/review/7497.html

pavalamani pragasam
26th December 2006, 08:05 AM
So, in short, another controversial fare? :roll: Another 'kalki', 'parththaalE paravasam'...such stuff?

NOV
26th December 2006, 08:13 AM
So, in short, another controversial fare? :roll: Another 'kalki', 'parththaalE paravasam'...such stuff?not at all PP madam. no controversies here.

just a THINKING film.

pavalamani pragasam
26th December 2006, 08:20 AM
:sigh2: Then, not a crowd-puller?

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 08:26 AM
Flash:

"Poi padam paarKa sendra enathu arumai nanbargalai intervalukku mun theatril kaanavillai.. kandu pidithu tharuvorukku POI pada ticketukal ilavasamaaga valangappadum"

ajithfederer
26th December 2006, 08:29 AM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lol: :lol:

kb review than enaku nyabagam varuthu :oops:

Flash:

"Poi padam paarKa sendra enathu arumai nanbargalai intervalukku mun theatril kaanavillai.. kandu pidithu tharuvorukku POI pada ticketukal ilavasamaaga valangappadum"

NOV
26th December 2006, 08:30 AM
:sigh2: Then, not a crowd-puller?:exactly:

Flash:

[Poi padam paarKa sendra enathu arumai nanbargalai intervalukku mun theatril kaanavillai.. kandu pidithu tharuvorukku POI pada ticketukal ilavasamaaga valangappadumtime to change your friends. A man is known by the company he keeps. :poke:
also, ivanga Poi pada paarththu la, La, zha vidhyaasangal purindhu kollattum. :rotfl:

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 08:41 AM
time to change your friends. A man is known by the company he keeps. :poke:
also, ivanga Poi pada paarththu la, La, zha vidhyaasangal purindhu kollattum. :rotfl:

KB padam paarthu rasikira nanbargal enakku irundha enna illaatti enna. I have friends who loved VEYYIL a lot :poke:

NOV
26th December 2006, 08:48 AM
i am just kidding selva. :P

veyyil is a nice movie with a moving story, avlOthaan.

Poi is completely different. it makes you think.

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 08:54 AM
i am just kidding selva. :P

veyyil is a nice movie with a moving story, avlOthaan.

Poi is completely different. it makes you think.

:lol: enna vidunga.. After hearing the reviews from my friends, I have given :wave: to my thought on the film !

May be.. It is the taste which may vary from people to people. :D :P

What you like, may not be liked by ALL :P

MADDY
26th December 2006, 08:56 AM
NOV, is it really good ?? i mean has KB done something different/changed his style or the same "one person talking to other person's reflection on the mirror" and stuff??? :lol:

i love KB's style of direction but he has become very dry in ideas and irritates now......Paarthale Paravasam :cry: ......i took 4 people also with me.......panathukku panamum pochu, semi kummmu kummittanunga mudhugula :cry:

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 09:01 AM
i love KB's style of direction but he has become very dry in ideas and irritates now......Paarthale Paravasam :cry: ......i took 4 people also with me.......panathukku panamum pochu, semi kummmu kummittanunga mudhugula :cry:

Maddy,
Nowadays, for very few films, NOV's reviews are :poke:
I watched Em Magan after his review and many others. Guess :sigh2: that was one movie which I didn't like it at all ! :poke:
Hope we seem to disagree on what many others agree :wink: :lol:
esp the way they have portrayed how much people enjoy when their grandfather dies :cry:

NOV - :poke:

MADDY
26th December 2006, 09:15 AM
Maddy,
Nowadays, for very few films, NOV's reviews are :poke:
I watched Em Magan after his review and many others. Guess :sigh2: that was one movie which I didn't like it at all ! :poke:
Hope we seem to disagree on what many others agree :wink: :lol:
esp the way they have portrayed how much people enjoy when their grandfather dies :cry:

hahaha......i guess NOV is a big fan of KB..... 8-) ......

even i didnt like em-magan.......that grandfather's death and also he elopes :shock: .....adhu endha ooru nyayam??? he shuld have stayed with his dad and make him realise........kadhal-dhaan perusu-nnu odi ponavan em-magan illa , aval-kadhalan.... :lol:

yes selva, we are in the danger territory.....ppl. will bash us left and right one day.... :lol:

NOV
26th December 2006, 09:21 AM
selva, I am 100% positive you won't like Poi. So, do take your friends' advise and stay at least 100 km from any theatres that shows Poi. :rotfl:

maddy, KB movies are not for general consumption.
either you will love them or hate them. :D
I've already said that today's youth wont like this movie. So, dont waste your time. :P

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 09:23 AM
"MADDY"

hahaha......i guess NOV is a big fan of KB..... 8-) ......

I guess you have already stepped into the wrong terrotory. :lol:
NOV - Just kidding :wink:

even i didnt like em-magan.......that grandfather's death and also he elopes :shock: .....adhu endha ooru nyayam??? he shuld have stayed with his dad and make him realise........kadhal-dhaan perusu-nnu odi ponavan em-magan illa , aval-kadhalan.... :lol:

what a punch :clap: :lol: Even I thought the same.

yes selva, we are in the danger territory.....ppl. will bash us left and right one day.... :lol:
:rotfl:

BTW, Em Magan is a striaght inspiration from his own Mega serial crap "Metti Oli" I was one of the lucky guys who watched atleast 100 episodes of Metti Oli. Had the same effect while watching EM :cry:

NOV
26th December 2006, 09:25 AM
also guys, take my reviews with generous pinches of salt. you can all :rotfl: and :poke: and :boo: at my picks of 2006!

E
Emttan Magan
Imsai Arasan 23m Pulikesi
Poi
Something Something Unakkum Enakkum
Veyyil

as you can see, all the popular movies such as VV, GF, SOK, Vallavan are missing from my list.
so, you can definitely conclude that my idea of a good movie and yours are as different as apples and cockroaches. :D

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 09:26 AM
selva, I am 100% positive you won't like Poi.
So, do take your friends' advise and stay at least 100 km from any theatres that shows Poi. :rotfl:

enna pathi purinjikitta mudhal aalu neega thaaN.. illayaa MADDY ?? :lol:
100 kms :shock: Mudiyaathu.. Veettta thaan maathanum.. :cry: even then 100 kms is not possible :roll:

MADDY
26th December 2006, 09:27 AM
selva, I am 100% positive you won't like Poi. So, do take your friends' advise and stay at least 100 km from any theatres that shows Poi. :rotfl:

maddy, KB movies are not for general consumption.
either you will love them or hate them. :D
I've already said that today's youth wont like this movie. So, dont waste your time. :P

i'm a bit old..... :wink: .......NOV, i've watched Duet 4 times in theater :shock: .......not just for ARR but also for KB......there are some movies of his which strike the right chord with u....Punnagai Mannan is "the Titanic" for tamil movies...... :D

i just want him to come out of his usual histrionics....thats it.....after Mani and BR, KB is my most fav. director...

NOV
26th December 2006, 09:29 AM
hahaha......i guess NOV is a big fan of KB..... 8-) ......Yes, I am ashamed to admit that I am fan of KB. 8-)

yes selva, we are in the danger territory.....ppl. will bash us left and right one day.... :lol: :roll:
why should anyone bash you? who would dare bash you? :redjump:

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 09:31 AM
so, you can definitely conclude that my idea of a good movie and yours are as different as apples and cockroaches. :D

unfortunately, I liked IMSAI ARASAN and Veyyil. SSUE was good if not great like the original. It was a "E Adichaan copy" of the telugu version though !
As I said, Em Maghan - I didn't like it.
E - I haven't watched yet. But saw some scenes :roll: hmm :roll:
BTW, I never said that VV and VArlaaru are best films ofthis year esp after having watched Veyyil thought I would like the other two to follow Veyyil :wink: :P

Seems our opinion is like making a mixture out of apples and snakes :lol:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
26th December 2006, 09:32 AM
as you can see, all the popular movies such as VV, GF, SOK, Vallavan are missing from my list.

1. YOur review of poi seems to bee good and not a spoiler
2. I always feel KB movies stir ur thinking and i would like to see his POI
3. Would be better if you hav mentioned the 2nd La as Zha or Za
4. The moment you kept Vallavan and SOK along with VV and GF and termed the 1st 2 movies as popular movies, i decided your "tpo of 2006" list wouldnot be neutral, and yes it wasn't!

NOV
26th December 2006, 09:32 AM
i just want him to come out of his usual histrionics....thats it.....after Mani and BR, KB is my most fav. director...... and then there are some of us who want him to remain who he is. :roll:
we too - altho a minority - deserve to be entertained. :cry2:

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 09:33 AM
hahaha......i guess NOV is a big fan of KB..... 8-) ......Yes, I am ashamed to admit that I am fan of KB. 8-)

:notthatway: we should be proud in saying so esp for movies like Ethir Neechal, Neer kumizhi and Vaanamae ellai ! :D

IF poi is in this list, definitly I will like it ! 8-) provided KB hadn't touched on some controversies

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 09:34 AM
4. The moment you kept Vallavan and SOK along with VV and GF and termed the 1st 2 movies as popular movies, i decided your "tpo of 2006" list wouldnot be neutral, and yes it wasn't!

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 10:04 AM
[tscii:d1ef3d99bd]Poi

Veteran director K.Balachandar is back with Poi after a long sabbatical. The film is supposed to be a love story with a difference but threads the thin line between reality and fantasy.

You simply wouldn’t associate this film with the director who had made some memorable love stories in the past which were cult classics. In Poi, all characters are uninteresting and even fake, the situations predictable and humour forced and corny.

Valluvanar (Avinash) is a popular political leader and poet. He lives in a huge mansion with his wife Vasuki and his only son Kamban (Uday Kiran). Kamban’s pet hate is his father who he thinks is overbearing and does not understand him. Vasuki is always caught between the devil and deep sea as she dotes on her son and has great respect for her husband.

One day Kanban to spite his dad joins his arch rival’s political party making him look like an idiot. After realizing the blunder Kamban decides to move away from Chennai for some time while things quiten down. He promises to his mother that he will never lie and Kamban goes to Columbo and make friends with Banerji a Bengali and stays in his house.

He lies to everybody that he is Bharati and his father is a mean guy called Theepori from Tirunelveli! Suddenly a God like visionary in all-white and beard (K.Balachandar) appears in front of Kamban and says he is Theepori!

He advises Kamban to show more restraint and fall in love with a beautiful girl! Next day he meets Shilpa (Vimala) and falls for her. Shilpa stays with her brother, a pilot and she is preparing for her civil service exams in India. She hates love and marriage and finds Bharati as a nuisance. Bharati through the advice of Theepori is able to win over Shilpa’s family including her friend Renuka( Geetu Mohandas).

Meanwhile Theepori is fighting a battle with ‘fate’ (Prakash Raj in black cowboy attire!) as they play Snake & Ladder. Shilpa’s friend (Robert) appears from no where to woo her! But by now Bharathi is winning the battle and is slowly able to melt Shilpa’s hard stance on love. But fate plays a role in a twist which leads to a melancholic ending on the beaches.

The film lags from scene one. Alas there is no life in this moribund script which seems to have its basic thread from Jim Carrey’s Bruce Almighty. Uday Kiran is the only silver lining as he is able to keep his character’s wit till the end. New girl Vimala looks good, however she needs to go a for a crash course in acting and dancing.

The supporting cast are all good especially Avinash. The music of Vidyasagar is average with Kutti Kutti Kavithai Njane… being the pick of the album. Colombo has never looked so good thanks to Biju Viswanath’s camera.

And finally- Will KB sir whom we respect and love choose his scripts with more discretion in future?

Verdict: Disappointing [/tscii:d1ef3d99bd]

kb
26th December 2006, 10:05 AM
POI.. very very few OK scenes in the second half.

the hero's voice and expressions were irritating.. had to close my ears for most of the movie..
heroine was gud again the dialogues were very old fashioned and serial type.

Oiyooooooooooo :lol:

prakash raj worst character in this life time and getup too :oops:

take an ipod and hear some other songs and watch the movie for heroine and few scenes in the climax.

two songs are great in the movie.. other songs are gud.

its old wine in the beer bottle :evil:

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 10:06 AM
its old wine in the beer bottle :evil:

:lol:

Scale
26th December 2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks NOV for the review. :) Will surely watch.

Is this the Ist positive review? :roll:

Nerd
26th December 2006, 11:20 AM
E
Emttan Magan
Imsai Arasan 23m Pulikesi
Poi
Something Something Unakkum Enakkum
Veyyil

Nice list NOV :thumbsup:

I havent seen IA23 and Poi and I loved 3 out of the 4 movies you have listed. EM wasnt so good: nasser's character was poorly etched, IMO :)

Btw this is the first positive review for poi, but I would surely watch it :thumbsup:

NOV
26th December 2006, 11:48 AM
4. The moment you kept Vallavan and SOK along with VV and GF and termed the 1st 2 movies as popular movies, i decided your "tpo of 2006" list wouldnot be neutral, and yes it wasn't!:clap::omg:

I am shocked Selva! :shock:
I thot you already knew that I am the most biased guy in the Hub, if not the world.
You disappoint me Selva. :cry:

NOV
26th December 2006, 11:54 AM
1. YOur review of poi seems to bee good and not a spoiler
2. I always feel KB movies stir ur thinking and i would like to see his POI
3. Would be better if you hav mentioned the 2nd La as Zha or Za
4. The moment you kept Vallavan and SOK along with VV and GF and termed the 1st 2 movies as popular movies, i decided your "tpo of 2006" list wouldnot be neutral, and yes it wasn't!1. :ty: I try.

2. Good. In fact I would imagine connoiseurs of Kamal's movies to indulge in KB's movies. There are just so many layers...

3. No. :notthatway: there are three L's in thamizh. zha is NOT the second la. :roll:
kal
aval
thamizh

4. I just gave a few examples as popular movies. :huh:
putting VV and Vallavan in the same line is sacreligous? :lol:
I know that Hub Kamal fans think that I hate VV, which is not true. Nowhere have I said that VV is a bad film. 8-)
GF, on the hand, if you take away the remarkable performance of Ajith, is nothing but pure trash. :banghead:
SOK is also an ok movie. Not great.
As for Vallavan, where is Simbu, would like to wring some necks. :argh:

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 11:58 AM
:omg:
1. I am shocked Selva! :shock:
2. I thot you already knew that I am the most biased guy in the Hub, if not the world.
3.You disappoint me Selva. :cry:

summa thaaN NOV :wink:
See when everyone puts Vallavan with Varalaaru it :x us ! May be - the natural response from us (ajithfans) for such posts reflected here as well :wink: :lol:

BTW, I want to reiterate my comments for ur VV review and that proves point #2 and reply for #3 is present in this as well :wink:

bulb_mani
26th December 2006, 11:59 AM
[quote=NOV]:omg:
1. I am shocked Selva! :shock:
2. I thot you already knew that I am the most biased guy in the Hub, if not the world.
3.You disappoint me Selva. :cry:

I know that :exactly:

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 12:00 PM
GF, on the hand, if you take away the remarkable performance of Ajith, is nothing but pure trash. :banghead:

IF that is the case, for EM Maghan IF I take performance of Nasser, it will be a pure crap IMO
Don't take this as a reply but as my opinion ! :)

NOV
26th December 2006, 12:00 PM
Poi

Veteran director K.Balachandar is back with Poi after a long sabbatical. The film is supposed to be a love story with a difference but threads the thin line between reality and fantasy.
Verdict: Disappointing :clap: :clap: :clap:
I agree with the review completely. :exactly:
95% of the population would see Poi exactly as outlined in the review - totally 2 dimensional, where black is black and blue is blue.

the lazy mind does not want to think. everything must be served on the platter.

after all who bothers about the likes of Akira or Satyajit? :P

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 12:02 PM
NOV,
Etho sollureengannu puriyuthu.. aana ennannu thaaN puriya maattenguthu (lazy mind) :lol: :D :P

NOV
26th December 2006, 12:04 PM
Is this the Ist positive review? :roll:No. All the reviews I've read in Sulekha seems to be positive.

NOV
26th December 2006, 12:07 PM
I havent seen IA23 and Poi and I loved 3 out of the 4 movies you have listed. EM wasnt so good: nasser's character was poorly etched, IMO :)

Btw this is the first positive review for poi, but I would surely watch it :thumbsup:even I havent seen some positively reviewed movies like Pudhu Pettai and Chithiram Pesudhadi.
The problem with me is that I only like to watch movies in the cinema. :roll:

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 12:08 PM
Is this the Ist positive review? :roll:No. All the reviews I've read in Sulekha seems to be positive.

I would suggest INDIAGLITZ :) :lol2:

NOV, Have u seen POI or the review in sulekha is urs ? :roll: IF yes, where is ur review ? :P

NOV
26th December 2006, 12:09 PM
selva, I'm enjoying your rebuttals (or attempts at it) :poke:
ok, ok, peace. am just kidding. :P

Thirumaran
26th December 2006, 12:10 PM
The problem with me is that I only like to watch movies in the cinema. :roll:

8-) I would watch movies in theatre only if it is Rajini, Kamal, Maniratnam, Shankar movies. Only if the reviews are good / some other external factors i would watch other's movies in theater :oops:

NOV
26th December 2006, 12:12 PM
NOV, Have u seen POI or the review in sulekha is urs ? :roll: IF yes, where is ur review ? :P:notfunny:

some smart aleck, being lazy to read all posts, will come to the conclusion that the review is not mine. :roll:

YES, Yes, yes: I saw the movie last night and that review is mine! copyright. :P

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 12:12 PM
selva, I'm enjoying your rebuttals (or attempts at it) :poke:
ok, ok, peace. am just kidding. :P

:shock: :lol: :rotfl: :poke:

NOV
26th December 2006, 12:15 PM
8-) I would watch movies in theatre only if it is Rajini, Kamal, Maniratnam, Shankar movies. Only if the reviews are good / some other external factors i would watch other's movies in theater :oops:I make it a point to watch all movies of Kamal, Mani, Shankar and KB (ok, in the 80s) in the cinemas.
Come Deepavali, its a diff story.
and when I am bored.... :lol2:

selvakumar
26th December 2006, 12:16 PM
YES, Yes, yes: I saw the movie last night and that review is mine! copyright. :P

oh.. That's great :P From your previous posts I concluded as IF the review is from SULEKHA (I didn't know this site) ! :) Just tried to clarify the same :(

NOV
26th December 2006, 12:18 PM
oh.. That's great :P From your previous posts I concluded as IF the review is from SULEKHA (I didn't know this site) ! :) Just tried to clarify the same :(Poi is definitely not for you!

http://movies.sulekha.com/tamil/poi/reviews/pageno-1.htm

Thirumaran
26th December 2006, 12:23 PM
I make it a point to watch all movies of Kamal, Mani, Shankar and KB (ok, in the 80s) in the cinemas.

The last kb film i saw in theatre was Kalki. :P and i love many of KB's movies :)

Till 2000 whatever the movies i saw were only in theatres :P The reason is well known :lol2:

smith
26th December 2006, 01:53 PM
The reviews for POi seem good. Hope it does well at the B.O

alwarpet_andavan
26th December 2006, 02:02 PM
http://broken-news.blogspot.com/2006/12/poi.html

smith
26th December 2006, 02:11 PM
The 2 reviews given are diametrically opposite.

girishk14
26th December 2006, 02:47 PM
who is kb?

bulb_mani
26th December 2006, 02:56 PM
who is kb?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._Balachander

thamizhvaanan
26th December 2006, 03:13 PM
NOV.... :evil: :hammer: :hammer: unga pEcha kettundu "Poi" padatha poi paarthen :banghead: :banghead:

vaazhkaila idha first time... :irked:

moonu mani neram waste pannadhu :rant:

bulb_mani
26th December 2006, 03:14 PM
NOV.... :evil: :hammer: :hammer: unga pEcha kettundu "Poi" padatha poi paarthen :banghead: :banghead:

vaazhkaila idha first time... :irked:

moonu mani neram waste pannadhu :rant:

:omg: :rotfl: :oops:

rajeshkrv
15th January 2007, 08:15 AM
இயக்குனர் சிகரம் பாலசந்தர்

ரஜினி,கமல் மற்றும் இன்று வந்திருக்கும் சிம்பு வரைக்கும் திரிகள் உள்ளன ஆனால்
சத்தமின்றி சாதனைகள் புரிந்த இயக்குனர் சிகரம் திரு.கே.பாலசந்தர் பற்றி ஒரு திரியும் இல்லாதது வருத்தமாக இருக்கிறது.. வருத்தத்தை நானே போக்குகிறேன் .. இதோ அவர் பெயரில் ஒரு திரி..

பாலசந்தர் - ஒரு பார்வை ..

பாலசந்தர் - கே.பி என்று சினிமா வட்டாரத்தில் அழைக்கப்படும் பாலசந்தர்
60'களில் பல அமெச்சுர் நாடங்களை நடத்தி வந்தார்.
ஆங்கில் நாடங்கள் எழுதி அதை மேடையேற்றியுள்ளார்

1930ஆம் ஆண்டு தஞ்சை மாவட்டத்தில் உள்ள நன்னிலத்தில் பிறந்த இவர் இன்று சினிமா உலகில் பிரம்மரிஷி அதுவும் இவர் இயக்கிய படங்கள் பெரும்பாலும் சினிமா விதிமுறைக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டதாகவே இருந்தது . ஆமாம் வெரும் கமர்ஷியல் படங்களை டைரக்ட் செய்து பெயர் பெற்றவர்களும் உண்டு ஆனால் இவரோ சமுதாய சிந்தனை, பெண் முன்னேற்றம் என எல்லா கால கட்டத்திலும் ஒரு பிரச்சனையை மையமாக கொண்டு படங்கள் எடுத்தார்.. பெரும்பாலும் வெற்றி கண்டார், சில சமயம் தோல்வியும் கண்டார். தோல்வி அவரை துவழவிடவில்லை இன்னும் நல்ல படங்கள் கொடுக்கவேண்டும் என்பதற்கு உந்துதலாக இருந்தது ..

இந்த மேதை உருவாக்கிய காவியங்கள் எத்தனை எத்தனை
உருவாக்கிய நடிப்பு நட்சத்திரங்கள் எத்தனை எத்தனை

எந்த நடிகருக்காகவும் கதை உருவாக்காமல், எந்த பெரிய இசையமைப்பாளரை நம்பாமல், யாரை வைத்தும் தன்னால் படம் எடுக்க முடியும் அதில் வெற்றியும் அடைய முடியும் என்பதை பல நேரத்தில் நிரூபித்தவர் இவர்.
இவரது காவியங்களையும் , உருவாக்கிய நட்சத்திர பட்டாளத்தையும் ஒன்றன் பின் ஒன்றாக அலசுவோம்

மேடை நாடகங்கள் நிறைய நடத்திக்கொண்டிருந்தார் அவர்
அவரது சதுரங்கம் முதலான நாடகங்களுக்கு பலத்த வரவேற்பு இருந்தது.

சுந்தரராஜன், நாகேஷ் ஆகியோர், தங்களது வேலையை தவிர பிற நேரங்களில் பாலசந்தரின்
நாடகங்களில் நடித்து வந்தனர்.

அப்பொழுதெல்லாம் திரையுலக பிரமுகர்களும் நாடகத்தில் நடிப்பது வழக்கம்
மிகப்பெரிய கலைஞர்கள் நாடங்களை பார்க்க வருவது வழக்கம்

அப்படி பாலசந்தரின் நாடகத்தை பார்த்த ஏ.வி.எம்.மெய்யப்ப செட்டியார் அவரது நாடகமான் சர்வர் சுந்தரத்தை படமாக எடுக்க விரும்பினார். அதற்கு கதை திரைக்கதை அமைத்து கொடுத்தவர் பாலசந்தர் இயக்கியது கிருஷ்ணன் - பஞ்சு ( திரையுலகில் பிரேவிசிக்காத காரணத்தால் மற்றவர்கள் இயக்கினார்கள்)
அதே போல் எம்.ஜி.ஆர் நடித்து பி.மாதவன் இயக்கத்தில் வந்த தெய்வத்தாய்(1964) படத்திற்கும் திரைக்கதை வசனம் எழுதினார்
தெய்வத்தாய் பாடல்களை இங்கே கேட்டு மகிழுங்கள்

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.4368/

பி.மாதவன் இயக்கத்தில் சிவாஜி- தேவிகா நடித்த நீலவானம் திரைப்படத்திற்கு திரைக்கதை எழுதினார்(1965)
நீலவானம் பாடல்கள் இங்கே
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.4969/

நீர்க்குமிழி

1966 பாலசந்தர் வாழ்கையில் மறக்க முடியாத ஆண்டு
அவரது முதல் படைப்பாக நீர்க்குமிழி வெளிவந்தது.
பாலசந்தரின் நாடகங்களுக்கு இசையமைத்து கொண்டிருந்தவர் திரு.குமார்.இருவரின் நட்பும் வளர்ந்தது
அதன் காரணமாக தன் முதல் படத்தில் குமாரையே இசையமைப்பாளராக்கினார் பாலசந்தர்.

நீர்க்குமிழி (1966)

ஒரு ஆஸ்பத்திரியை மையமாக கொண்டு உருவாக்கப்பட்ட கதை. அந்த கால கட்டத்தில் இது புதுமையே.. (புதுமையை புகுத்தும் இன்னொருவர் ஸ்ரீதர்)
கதையின் நாயகனாக தன் நாடகங்களில் நடித்து வந்த குண்டுராவயே( நாகேஷ்) போட்டார் பாலசந்தர்.
நாகேஷ் அந்த சேது கதாப்பாத்திரமாகவே வாழ்ந்திருப்பார் என்றால் மிகையில்லை
சீனியர் டாக்டராக மேஜர் சுந்தர்ராஜன்,
அவரது மகளாக செளகார் ஜானகியும்
விளையாட்டு வீரராக கோபாலகிருஷணனும்
நர்ஸாக ஜெயந்தியும் நடித்தனர்.

படம் நன்றாக ஒடியது..

பாலசந்தர் என்ற அந்த மனிதர் வெள்ளித்திரையில் மின்ன ஆரம்பித்தார்

கதையும் சரி, கதாபாத்திர படைப்பும் பாலசந்தரின் தனிச்சிறப்பு..

ஆஸ்பத்திரியை காட்டும் போதும் சரி, மேலை நாடுகளில் என்னென்ன கருவிகள் இருக்குமோ அதைப்போல் காட்டியிருப்பார்.

படத்தில் மொத்தம் 3 பாடல்கள்

ஆடி அடங்கும் வாழ்க்கையடா - சீர்காழி கோவிந்தராஜனின் குரலில் மெய் சிலிர்க்க வைக்கும் பாடல்

கன்னி நதி ஓரம் - பி.பீ.ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ்- சுசீலா குரல்களில் இனிமையான பாடல்
வரிகளுக்கு சொந்தக்காரர் ஆலங்குடி சோமு

நீரில் நீந்திடும் மீனினமே சுசீலாவின் குரலில் சொக்க வைக்கும் பாடல்
(வரிகள்:சோமு)
பாடல்களை இங்கே கேளுங்கள்
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.4964/

ஆக பாலசந்தரின் முதல் திரைக்குழந்தை பிறந்த கதை இதுதான்

மள மள என அவர் ஏறிய ஏணி - அடுத்த பகுதியில்

அவரைப்பற்றி ஹிந்து பத்திக்கையில் வந்த செய்தி
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/f...2403630100.htm <http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2006/02/24/stories/2006022403630100.htm>

தொடரும்

joe
15th January 2007, 08:50 AM
கமல் ,ரஜினி என்னும் தமிழ் திரையுலகின் இரு பெரும் தூண்களை உருவாக்கி தந்து புகழ்பெற்றவர் பாலசந்தர் அவர்கள்!

groucho070
15th January 2007, 01:06 PM
Sorry Joe, I got to disagree here.

I agree that KB played an important part in Kamal and Rajini's growth, but I won't use the word "uruvaakkinar". Because, if they worked their a** off to be where they are now. They worked with other well known directors and carved another side of their talent. Both had the hunger since they were kids. Kamal had an advantage of being in the industry and working with the giants like MGR, NT and Gemini...and also being very close with Gemini and another giant, Savithri. If you don't perform well after working with these people, something is wrong with you.

As for Rajini, he didn't have these 'institutions' around him. A huge NT fan, he enrolled himself to acting school where KB discovered him. If he had no talent, KB would have gone for someone else.

This two guys talent gave KB further power to his pen, to write wonderful characters. Rajini's dark side gave way to his characters in Mundru Mudichu and Avargal. Kamal's own talent in singing, mimic and in accents saw him in Aval oru Thodarkathai and Avargal.

Compare those two to the other talents that KB introduced. Not many made it big. Most, later, found job in KB's TV serial.

Yes, KB had the films for these two talents, but they already had the energy in them, KB smoldered it, and they went on, with or without KB, to make some other memorable movies.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say here...

joe
15th January 2007, 01:15 PM
Groucho,
You are right ..My wordings should be 'இனம் கண்டு கொண்டார்' instead of 'உருவாக்கினார்' .

But again ,particularly Rajini ,Balachander identified a fire in Rajini and willing to use him when Rajini was nowhere match the definitions of Tamil actor then ..That credit must be given to Balachander.

You know, when Rajini was a student in Chennai film institute ,He was not an outstanding student .I heard Dileep(one who acted in varumaiyin niram sivappu and some visu movies) won gold medal in his batch for acting ..But when Balachander visited film institute ,KB identified Rajini ..He only gave the name 'Rajinikanth' (Influence of Parister Rajinikanth?) and adviced him not to imitate NT ,Rajini's inspiration in acting.

groucho070
15th January 2007, 02:05 PM
Oh, Dileep was his batchmate? That's something isn't it.

You are right about the fire part. He did see that...that was already in Rajini and encouraged him later to develop the gimmicks or gestures, better known as 'style'. And KB was daring enough to put this darkskinned, paratta talai-ed, fierce looking man as a hero!!!. What an entry!

I have not seen his Poi. Reviews are not that good. Have you?

groucho070
15th January 2007, 02:07 PM
I don't think he was influenced by this (barrister) Rajinikanth. I think it was the earlier drama of his, Major Chandrakanth, which had Srikanth and Rajinikanth as sons.

I think makers of Gaouvaram adapted it for Gauvaram (Kannan's father is Srikanth, I think). Srikanth got his name from Major Chandrakanth.

Now I am confused.

joe
15th January 2007, 02:09 PM
I have not seen his Poi. Reviews are not that good. Have you?

I havn't seen ..Reviews are not impressive ..I don't think I will get a chance to see in theatre .But will do with VCD.

tvsankar
15th January 2007, 05:46 PM
Deargroucho070,

I won't use the word "uruvaakkinar". Because, if they worked their a** off to be where they are now. They worked with other well known directors and carved another side of their talent. Both had the hunger since they were kids. Kamal had an advantage of being in the indu

Oru chinna disagree.Kamal vishayathil.

Kamaluku nadika therindhu irundhalum. KB dhan ivarai nanraga kondu vandhar enbadhu en ennam.

Contrast characters ellam KB film il dhan Kamal ku kidaithu irukiradhu.

Before KB, kamal edho side character il oru villanga ( or oru porupu illadha oru youth - idhu dhan avar seidha characters,.)

kB idam dhan Kamal ku nalla chance kedaithadhu.thanai kaati kolla.
KB yum - Indha character ku ivar seidhal nanraga irukum enru decide panni adhil avar success um agi irukar.(KB in success ae - ungaludaiya opinin dhan - adhavadhu avar nanraga nadikiravar.KB yal ilai enra madhiri oru feelings.Idhu KB yal intro ana ella actor and actress kum porundhum.Idhu dhan KB yin special enru naan feel pannugiren.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

groucho070
15th January 2007, 06:03 PM
Well, you have many good points there, mdm Usha. Some of it overlaps what I said as well.

I think we agree that Kamal and Rajini had what they need, especially the ambition, the willpower and the ability to work very hard. KB had the right platform for them to spring from. He knew them well, understood what they are capable of and made them to do more.

My opinion is this: let's say there was no KB in Tamil cinema (horrible to think). Would these two superstars became as big as they are?

My answer is yes! There will be other good directors who will notice what KB noticed in Kamal and Rajini. Case in point will be Barathiraja and 16 Vayathinile. PA and SPM did some wonderful stuff with Rajini, both in masala and dramatic stuff.

Plus, they proved their versatility in working with actioners, some really bad ones as well. There was more visibility amongst the audience, especially in the B & C areas. This would not have happened with KB.

KB is instrumental in bringing out the best in them at that time, and at the same time getting love and respect from the audience, but these two hungry young men would have come out somehow, somewhat, probably a little later.

Reminds me about the quote by Anna, responding to the fact that certain director (or producer, I can't remember) 'found' NT. Anna said that if he was not introduced by this guy, NT would still have emerged later.

KB brought to us the many dimensions of Kamal and Rajini. Kamal always talks about how KB would poke the fire by saying "Nagesh would have done better", keep comparing with Nagesh. It urged Kamal to work harder.

So, you are right mdm as well. The good thing is the work that KB had done with Rajini and Kamal are all important milestones in Tamil film industry.

Nakeeran
15th January 2007, 06:12 PM
Nandri marapadhu nandrandru

Indha kural dhaan enakku ippodhu ninaivukku varugiradhu :twisted:

Kamal hassan was doing support role along with the likes of Shivakumar & others for a decent tenure.

IT WAS K.B. WHO GAVE THE PIVOTAL ROLE - THAT ANGRY YOUNG GUY WHO IS VERY SENSITIVE TO UNREALISTIC THINGS IN LIFE

THAT CHARACTER IN ABOORVA RAGANGAL WILL SPEAK VOLUMES ABOUT KB AND HOW HE BROUGHT THE BEST OUT OF KAMAL.
AFTER THIS MOVIE, KAMAL PROGRESSED WELL

The same KB also gave the memorable MARO CHARITRA which won national award through its hindi version

When Kamal needed a catalyst to improve his position, KB AGAIN WAS THERE TO GIVE VARUMAYIN NIRAM SIGAPPU.

Again, the veteran KB was not finished yet. He gave Unnal mudiyum thambi to give a new dimension to Kamal

IGNORANCE IS BLISS HERE . Those who know little about KB better know about him and then talk about his contributions to bringing life to Kamal and Rajini
:evil:

mr_karthik
15th January 2007, 06:39 PM
"கன்னி நதி ஓரம்" - பி.பீ.ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ்- சுசீலா குரல்களில் இனிமையான பாடல்

I strongly hope...

'Kanni Nadhiyoram' song in 'Neerkumizhi' by T.M.Soundarrajan & L.R.Eswari.

It is the inspiration from his (KB) previous movie 'Server Sundaram' (avalukkenna azhagiya mugam).

rajeshkrv
15th January 2007, 09:30 PM
mr_karthik,

kanni nadhi oram is by PS & TMS

I have the song
if you want i can send you

groucho070
16th January 2007, 09:45 AM
IGNORANCE IS BLISS HERE . Those who know little about KB better know about him and then talk about his contributions to bringing life to Kamal and Rajini
:evil:

Thanks for the info. You are right. I know so very little about KB, including the fact that he brought life to Kamal and Rajini.

How ignorant of me,
:cry:

Too bad Kamal and Rajini's mom are not here to read that someone else 'contributed' to bringing life to their sons.

Okay, before you get p*ssed, you know I'm kidding, right?

NOV
16th January 2007, 09:54 AM
ultimately no one person can take total claim for another's success. usually it is a combination of factors.

but the fact remains that KB was the catalyst for the rise of both Kamal and Rajini; a fact that both of them readily acknowledge.

NOV
16th January 2007, 09:57 AM
I have not seen his Poi. Reviews are not that good. Have you?I saw it in Odeon KL - with another 30 pax max. 8-)

99 people out of 100 won't like the film; if you are still interested, will post my review here. :oops:

joe
16th January 2007, 10:07 AM
I have not seen his Poi. Reviews are not that good. Have you?I saw it in Odeon KL - with another 30 pax max. 8-)

99 people out of 100 won't like the film; if you are still interested, will post my review here. :oops:

Nov,
Pls post your review (Hoping that you are 1 out of 100)

tvsankar
16th January 2007, 10:17 AM
Dear groucho070,
Marubadiyum oru disagree,

Anna voda quote analum, Sivaji kae enralum....

Podhuvaga oru statement iruku - Marathai vechavan thanni oothuvan....

Idhu indha mannil pirandha ellarukum sollum oru varthai.

Ellorum pirkirargal.Valargirarlgal...

Adhae oru nalla Appa Amma vidam valarum oru kuzhandhaiyaiyum parungal.. (ingae Money yai patri pesavillai.Nalla Behaviour patri solgiren)

Indha madhiriyarna oru difference ai than KB ai patri solla varugiren.

Film industry il Directors illamal illai.ACtors idamum nadikum thiran illamal illai.

ANal KB idam Sila padangalae nadithalum - Katru konda padam Avargalai MUNNUKU vara vaithu irukiradhu.(Nalla appa Amma madhiri)

After KB, ADhuavae avargalin qualification aga maari irukiradhu.Nalla brought up enbadhu pol.Actually matra directros ku idhu vasadhiyaga irundhu irukiradhu - KB idam irundha vandha actors and actress ai nadika vaipadharku.........

Idhu ennudaiya feelings.Thats all.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

swathy
16th January 2007, 10:20 AM
ultimately no one person can take total claim for another's success. usually it is a combination of factors.

but the fact remains that KB was the catalyst for the rise of both Kamal and Rajini; a fact that both of them readily acknowledge.

I agree with this.

16 vayathinile also helped both kamalji and rajini.

swathy
16th January 2007, 10:22 AM

oh i too read the review. I t was mentioned as this is only for KB's fans. They should have mentioned the same for parthale paravasam

NOV
16th January 2007, 10:33 AM
Pls post your review (Hoping that you are 1 out of 100)visha paritchai. :poke:

K. Balachander's Poi is the movie of the year!

Only one cinema was running the movie in the Klang valley and at the 9pm show, there was hardly a crowd of 50. Poi has been touted as KB's 101st movie and was in production for a long time. Producer is KB-find-Prakash Raj, who also has a role in the movie.

Poi will definitely not find favour with today's generation. There is no kuthu song, no foreign locations, no group dancing, no 5 minute fights, no sexy heroine in wet clothes, no double entrendes, no graphics, no, no, no.

But as typical of KB movies, you come out of the cinema hall thinking. Even my kids enjoyed the movie (although I wished it ended differently) and we spent some time discussing the movie!

The basic theme of the movie is a battle between desire and fate, which are given forms in the movie (KB himself and Prakashraj). The game they play is Snakes & Ladders. The love theme used in the movie is incidental; it could be any other part of life.

Like Gods of Heaven the gamemasters make their moves. Fate, with his silent laughter, doesn't throw the dice. In one sequence he says, when you get what you want you call it luck, if not, you blame it on fate!

Coming to the story, it is a simple love story. Hero has clashes with his father and decides to disappear to Colombo. There he meets a girl who he thinks can be his ideal partner. He proposes, she disposes. Fate intervenes and brings in a third person in play - a past love. Girl pits one man against another and then finds that she is indeed in love with one. Just as the fruit is in reachable distance, girl makes unusual request. We are now at the end of the game. A throw of two will complete the game, while a throw of one will bring the dice back to starting point. Which will it be?

KB proves that he is the master of celluloid, with his skillful play. Every single frame, character, song, dialogue is intertwined against each other. Sit back and listen to the story teller as he crafts his story against your racy mind.

Actors: KB is known as the man who can make even a rock act. He is the Director who introduced today's super stars of Rajini and Kamal, and not to mention several others including Vivek and Prakashraj. In this movie, the leads are new thus being able to live the story without any other associations. Needless to say, both leads played to perfection. Uday who looks like Surya some instances, is funny, weird, witty, laughs, cries and is carefree youth personified. Heroine makes statements with her eyes.
Secondary characters are great too - some we know (like Renuka) while some others make their first big screen appearance. But talents are abound.

Songs: All songs are incidental to the movie. Listen to the lyrics and understand the movie better. Hitler pennE hitler pennE is already popular to an extent and can be heard on the soundwaves.

Hero is unable to pronounce the second La (in Tamil) and several funny sequences follows. Eventually he masters the pronunciation and sings a song complete with all words with the second La. :)
For the first time ever, a song begins with LaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLa (2nd la). Who else but SP Bala can do justice to such a song. For people who do not know how to pronounce the 2nd La, this song is a good exercise. :thumbsup:

Music: Vidhyasagar brings life to the movie with his background music, complete with dts effect. Besides SPB, Shankar Mahadevan also belts out with his powerful vocals.

Camera: must be mentioned. Poi is poetry in motion as the sceneries of Colombo is magnificiently captured in celluloid. Plenty of seaside images gives the movie a holiday feel.

And lastly, why the title Poi?
What is not Poi in our lives?

Verdict: Five Stars

Another review: http://movies.sulekha.com/tamil/poi/review/pageno-1.htm

Designer
16th January 2007, 10:39 AM

Exactly ! And IMO another example is Prakash Raj whom KB introduced in his TV serial "kai aLavu manasu" a decade ago. there's no doubt about PR's talent, but it needs someone like KB to spot it, and give the actor an oppurtunity to display that talent.

joe
16th January 2007, 11:36 AM
Nov,
Thanks for the review..I am going to watch it :)

NOV
16th January 2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the review..I am going to watch it :):oops2:
ok, but pls watch without expectations. :D

I am hooked to the LaLaLa song now - iniyavalE ilaiayavalE :thumbsup:

joe
16th January 2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the review..I am going to watch it :):oops2:
ok, but pls watch without expectations. :D

Don't worry .I won't regret ..Evvalavo kuppai padangalai paathirukkirom ..time waste pannirukkom .KB padam -satisfactory-ya illatalum kuppai-ya irukkathu.

NOV
16th January 2007, 12:20 PM
[tscii]http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/review/7497.html

Movie Review: Poi - Truths of life

IndiaGlitz [Monday, December 25, 2006]

How do you start a review of a movie that is unconventional and does not have anything formulaic that the industry has grown up on? How do you recreate the story of a movie, which is sure to arouse extreme reactions. Poi, let us make this clear right at the start, is not your quotidian movie with its practiced ebb and flow.

Poi is a kind of film that only a man who is over 100 films old can dare attempt. It stems from the urge of a man who has done and seen it all. It takes extreme guts to attempt something that KB and Prakash Raj have. But the only problem with such a movie, and extra strong characterization, is that an average fan may either like it too much or, on the other hand, cannot connect with it. But KB being KB has done what he likes always - make a strong statement on the truisms that his life is bed-rocked on. He always likes to make emphatic life-statements through his characters. Almost all his movies have a strong belief in honesty, truth and non-violence - it is a concomitant of a man who is a creature of the idealistic 50s and 60s. If his Madhu of Edhir Neechal was a triumph of innocence and happiness, his band of five musketeers in Vaname Ellai was a study in diverse social forces that shape a nation while his Sathyamurthi of Unnal Mudiyum Thambi was all righteous indignation against the established forces.

So where do you slot his Kamban of Poi? He is a creature of the times, full of robust fun and smart-Alec ways. Like in every other movie of his, KB has shaped his woman protagonist with unique moral fiber and a steely resolve that are at once impressive and inspiring.

Poi, KB’s 101st venture, is verily a story of Kamban (Uday Kiran) and Shilpa (Vimala) who end up in Sri Lanka for different reasons. Kamban is in Lanka because his father, an upright politico is hounded out by venal forces in TN while Shilpa is very focused on her career. How do their paths cross? How do they reconcile to the emotional roller-coaster? What happens to the man who comes into the picture as a third angle? No, this is no triangular love story.

To talk of Poi in terms of story would be too simplistic and facile. Like in every KB movie it is the detail and context that provide the meaning and import. It is the nuanced humor, as opposed to creation of comedy, that is spread and filled in every frame.

KB as ever has managed to wrest wonderful performances from his cast. Uday, despite not being from Tamil, has shown a very fine understanding of his character. He understands the complexities and the various dimensions of Kamban and threshes out a very believable performance. He is also very energetic and enthusiastic in romantic scenes. Vimala is a good addition to the ranks of smart heroines who are not content with being just bimbos. She plays the career woman with a rare finesse. Geetu Mohandas, Renuka and all the others are very enterprising. They naturally reflect the intelligence that KB fills his characters with.

But it is KB and Prakash Raj who deliver the humdinger of the show -- to talk about it in detail would be telling the surprise package.

The film’s backdrop, Sri Lanka, is unique and adds to the story and structure. This is again trademark KB touch. And as ever, he romances the beach like no other contemporary director in India has. If hills and rivers are muse for Manirathnam, KB then ‘freaks’ out in the waves of a relentlessly philosophical sea. It is typical KB smartness to incorporate the tsunami angle to the story.

Vidyasagar’s music is another strong backing for the movie. Every song has a flavor and have a context in the script and the lyrics are also very vital. However, the re-recording could have been better. The camera also captures every detail and nuance with amazing clarity.

But the master orchestrator of men and machines, KB gives them all a presence that is full of poise and panache. He eschews the regular offerings and goes for something that is novel. Prakash Raj, as the producer, deserves credit for giving a free play to the director’s imagination and invention.

So Poi is a flawless movie. Far from it, it has warts and all. But it is life.

Poi will surely evoke extreme reactions. Some will swear by it. While some others will swear at it.

But make no mistake, Poi is not a lie. It is truth and like all truths it is good for some not so for others.

groucho070
16th January 2007, 12:52 PM
Good review, NOV. I was excpecting something else.

The LaLaLa song, was it SPB? I thought it was SPB Charan. Damn, can't differentiate the two nowadays. Nice song.

And yeah, I shall have zero expectation.

Mdm Usha,

We all have our opinions. No prob. I think KB is, as of now, the greatest of Tamil film directors...no change in that. It's just that I feel all the talents out there will always find an outlet to come out. There are great stars who were not found by KB, who are thriving. But to go through KB will be like to go through the best University in town...after that you have to fight your way in the corporate world. Sometimes the fellows from the best university makes it, sometimes they don't. Some just rot away. It's what these students have in them, alongside that great education they got from that best university.

I agree that KB is instrumetal, a catalyst, a teacher, a mentor, a great spotter of talent, and of course, a brilliant story teller and director. But Rajini and Kamal will never be who they are withouth their own drive, hardwork, perseverance (till Rajini blacked out once for working too hard); understanding their audience's demand, the way the industry works; the great knowledge of marketing of their own talent, etc.

But let us end it here. You are right in many of your points. Manushanukku amma, appa, guru, theivam vendum. I am not sure about the last power, but I certainly have amma, appa and many gurus who have guided me. For Rajini and Kamal, those gurus are the actors they loved (Sivaji, Nagesh) and, of course, direct teaching of the great KB.

mr_karthik
16th January 2007, 03:44 PM
"கன்னி நதி ஓரம்" - பி.பீ.ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ்- சுசீலா குரல்களில் இனிமையான பாடல்

mr_karthik,

kanni nadhi oram is by PS & TMS

I have the song
if you want i can send you
Thank you Mr. Rajesh.

tvsankar
16th January 2007, 04:14 PM
Dear Swathy,
Bharathi Raja vum oru meeting il - BR solli naan keten - KBalachandar ennudaiya Guru" enru.

KB is a University.Avaridam katru kondavargal sollum varthaigal...

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

tvsankar
16th January 2007, 04:16 PM
Dear all,
Oru nadiganin nadipu thiramaiyai kattuvadharku - DIRECTION enbadhu sadharanam dhana?

With Love,
Usha Sankar.