PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Hindu Temples - Lets discuss their History..

Raghu
25th April 2006, 09:27 PM
[tscii:efdce2faca]
Dear all,

It would be a great idea to discuss the various Hindu temples in the Indian Sub Continent dating back to Duwapara Yuga(MahaBharth, times) , these should include all the mandirs in what is now called as (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Tibet, Bangladesh, Thailand, Indionasia,..etc)

It would be nice , if we discuss with proofs or scriptures from Vedas or Vedic Scripurures, and who (normaly kings) built such temples, and the story behind each temples.

Let’s Start with Temples like, Chithaparam Sivan Koyil?, Thirukoneshwaram(Sri Lanka), Thiru Keetheswaram( Srilanka), Rameshwaram(India) … Nalloor Kanthan…Guruvaayur temples,..etc.

Thanks
Raghu
[/tscii:efdce2faca]

S.Balaji
25th April 2006, 09:47 PM
raghu dear

Excellent thread !! Definitely I will do my best to this God willing

There are umpteen number of ancient temples in India . Shall we set some pattern :

1. South Indian temples
2. North Indian temples
3. Temples in Srilanka and other countries

also to focus on a particular God . You know well, for Sri Vishnu , in South there are 108 special temples calleed Divya kshetrangal ( also called as 108 thirupathigal )

Besides, there are temples for Gods , goddess , special temples for 9 planets

Now pls confirm on this so that we can make a beginning in an organised manner

Raghu
26th April 2006, 02:35 PM
Balaji anNe,

Can you start off with the History of Rameshwaram, I know this Lord Rama, made Shilinga to pray to Maheshwar prior to his battle againts Ravana, there he made Shiva linga out of sand along the beach, which is in the direction of Lanka, ie South East India.

Has this temple got 108 Shivlinga??, I know one temple in India which has this.

Eelavar
3rd May 2006, 07:56 PM
dear Raghu,

It's a good idea to open such thread.

Personnaly i know that there is at less five very anciant Iswarams in Sri lanka.

-Thiruketheeshwaram

Thiruketheeshwaram, near Mannar, is the Sthalam where thousands gather on Shivarathri night for veneration of Lord Shiva. They perform their sin dispelling ablutionary theertham baths in the sacred waters of Pal Theertham, the following morning.

The location became hallowed from the mythological era for it was here that Kethu Bhagavan performed thapas and obtained the benign vision of Lord Parameswara and Ambaldevi; hence the site became known as "Thiru-Kethu-lshwaram".

Agasthiya Maha Munivar

It is said that the Sage Agasthiya Maha Munivar, in his pilgrimage to Shiva Sthalams in the South, paid homage at Thiruketheeshwaram also, before proceeding to Dakshana Kailash (Koneshwaram).
http://www.tamilnation.org/images/religion/temple/thiruketheswaram2.jpg

-Muneshwaram

Muneshwaram Temple is situated about a mile East of Chilaw, a town about 50 miles North of Colombo. This Munna Nathar Shetram, housing Munnai Natharsametha Vadivambikai Ambal, is of very ancient origin, said to have been founded by Brahms for worship by Himself Vishnu Mahendran, Munivars, sages and seers (Dakshana Kailasa Puranam ). The name Muneshwaram is suggestive of it being an "Eshwaram" or Shivan Temple of the Munivars; as mythology would have it, it is said to have been venerated by Rishi Munivars in the ancient eras. Some claim a foremost place for it because of its name with "Mun" in front.
http://www.tamilnation.org/images/religion/temple/muneshwaram.JPG

-Thondeshwaram

The original name may possibly have been "Thondar - Ishwaram" which became Thondeshwaram; the foreign invaders corrupted it to "Thondra" or Dondra. During the British era these were "Dondra" and "Dondra Head", the 8 southernmost promontory of the Island. Now the locality is known as "Devinuwara". A lighthouse has been erected there as the location has, through the ages, been a guide to navigation.

Apart from very limited information, not much is known about the Ishwaram Temple here, unlike the other Pancha Ishwaram temples. It is very likely the "Ishwaram" Shivan Temple went out of function early; in such an event, the local folks would have, however, "kept going" for their veneration, the Vishnu section of the Ishwaram Temple complex. The bell, pillars and other ruins there today may therefore be those of the last Vishnu temple erected there.

-Koneshwaram

Thiru Koneshwaram, the "Dakshana Kailash" of the ancients, "The Great Pagoda" or "The Pagoda with a thousand Pillars" of the Portuguese or simply Swami Rock" during the British regime, is the most ancient place of Hindu veneration in Ceylon. It has very interesting history behind it.

The Great Deluge ("Piralayam" in Tamil) Koneshwaram Shrine

During the very early legendary eras, geologists refer to oceanic bed upheavals or geophysical convulsion (Piralayam in Tamil), which are said to have engulfed parts of Kumarikandam, in the region of the Indian Ocean. It is believed to have occurred more than once, possibly three times.

I guess it's a very valuable remain of the flooded continent...
Nobody can imagine what means this temple..

http://www.tamilnation.org/images/religion/temple/koneswaram2.jpg

- Naguleshwaram

Naguleshwaram (on the left as it was, and on the right, as it is today, after the armed conflict) was one of the celebrated ancient five Shiva Sthalams known to have existed even before the Vijayan era. It was situated on the northern seacoast of the Jaffna Peninsula, about three kilometres west of Kankesanturai. The ancient temple is now no more, only a rocky cave can now be seen at the site, about a kilometre east of Keerimalai. However, the modern Shivan Kovil at Keerimalai, known as Naguleshwaram, perpetuates the ancient name.

http://www.tamilnation.org/images/religion/temple/naguleshwaram.JPG

Those temples are the most anciant of Sri lanka. They are the remains that show us the fact that Hinduism(Shaivism) was practized long before the arrival of Buddhism with the missionnary Asoka, and after with Vijaya the first Sinhala Prince who married a Tamil princess, and founded the Sinhala civilisation in Sri lanka.

Please visit this link for further informations about those temples : http://www.tamilnation.org/heritage/fiveishwarams.htm

Raghu
3rd May 2006, 08:11 PM
Dear Eelavar

Many thanks for the VALUABLE information, I have a query, there were some facts that, Ravana Wells, is in the east of lanka, can you pls tell me which town it is in?

Ravana appearantly split the earth with his mighty sword to create a Fountain, pls clarify this?

thanks

Eelavar
3rd May 2006, 08:27 PM
This town is Thirukonnamalai (Trincomalee), where is situated the most anciant temple Koneshwaram.

http://www.tamilnation.org/images/religion/temple/koneswaram2.jpg

Look at the photo, you can see that this temple is situated very high above the level sea, it can explain why it survived to the 3rd Great Flood ...
Maybe the legend of Ravana come from that.

I cannot answer you more about this legend, because i don't know more Rahgu. :(

Raghu
22nd May 2006, 05:54 PM
About RamEshwaram

Description: This Shivastalam is considered to be one of the holiest shrines in India. It represents the southernmost of the 12 Jyotirlingams of India and has been a time honored pilgirmage center held on par with Banaras. The island-temple town is located off of the Sethu coast of Tamilnadu (south eastern). This shrine is regarded as the 8th of the Tevara Stalams in the Pandya region of Tamilnadu.
This temple is assocated closely with the Ramayana and Rama's victorious return from Sri Lanka.

Rameswaram is an interesting temple both from the standpoint of its association with Rama and from a structural standpoint. A. huge temple in the island of Rameswaram (reached via the Pamban bridge across the sea), Rameswaram is known for its long ornate corridors and towers and 36 theerthams.

Legend has it that Rama worshipped Shiva in the form of a Shiva Lingam made of earth by Sita, while returning to Ayodhya. Legend has it that Hanuman was entrusted with the task of bringing an image of Viswanathar from Benares. Anticipating delay in Hanuman's return from Benares, Rama is said to have offered worship at a pre-chosen auspicious moment to a Shivalingam fashioned out of earth by Sita. This lingam is referred to as Ramalingam and the town is known as Rameswaram.

There is yet another Shivalingam here - Viswanathar said to have been brought by Hanuman from Banares. This Shivalingam is referred to as Kasilingam and Hanumalingam. Prayers are offered to Viswanathar before they are offered to Ramanathaswamy.

Legend has it that Rama worshipped Tilakeswarar at Devipatnam nearby enroute to Sri Lanka.

There is also a shrine to SethuMadhava and Lakshmi in Rameswaram. Sethu Madhava is also referred to as Sweta Madhava, the term Sweta referring to the white stone with which the image is made.

The Gandamadana parvatam: is a hill on the island which bears a small shrine containing imprints of Rama's feet held in worship .

Architecture and History: This temple, spread over an area of 15 acres , has lofty gopurams, massive walls and a collossal Nandi. Rameswaram also boasts of a 4000 feet long pillared corridor with over 4000 pillars, supposedly the longest in the world. The carved granite pillars are mounted on a raised platform. What is unique about this corridor is that the rock is not indigenous to the island and it was brought in from elsewhere in Tamilnadu across the sea. The eastern Rajagopuram towers to a height of 126 feet and it has nine levels. The Western Rajagopuram, though impressive is not as tall as the Eastern one. The stuccoed image of Nandi is about 18 feet tall and 22 feet in length.

It is believed that the ancient shrine was housed in a thatched hut until the 12th century and that the 1st ever masonry structure was built by Parakrama Bahu of Sri Lanka. The Setupathy rulers of Ramanathapuram completed the rest of the temple. Some of the temple vimaanams resemble the Vimaanams of the Pallava period. Much of the additions were carried out between the 12th and the 16th centuries. The long corridor (3rd prakaram) dates back only to the 18th century. The Gandhamadhana Parvatam (hill) provides a good view of the temple. This temple has received royal patronage from several kingdoms such as Travancore, Ramanathapuram, Mysore and Pudukkottai.

Worship: Six worship services are carried out each day, the first being at 5am. Special worship services are carried out every Friday.

Festivals: Rama's worship is commemorated in the month of Aani (June 15-July 15); two annual Bhrammotsavams are celebrated in Aadi and in Maasi.

Theertham (Water springs): There are 36 Theerthams in Rameswaram of which 22 are in the temple and these waters are said to possess medicinal properties. Bathing in these is considered to be of great significance. The Agni theertham refers to the ocean while the Koti theertham is located within the temple itself.

Other points of interest: The Gandamadana parvatam (hill) provides a commanding view of the island. It also bears a shrine said to bear the footprints of rama. Dhanuskoti (struck by a ravaging cyclone in the 20th century) is the easternmost tip of the island, where legend has it that Rama with the tip of his bow destroyed the bridge that he had built between the island and Srilanka, during his victorious return. There is a Kodandarama temple located on the way between Dhanushkoti and the Ramanatha temple. Tiruppullaani nearby represents the site where Rama sojourned on his way to Lanka. Devipatnam is home to the Navapaashaanam stones installed by Rama.

bingleguy
22nd May 2006, 06:02 PM
Can somebody discuss about Bhiragadeeshwarar Kovil or Periya Kovil, Tanjore ! built by Raja Raja Chozhan !

Raghu
22nd May 2006, 08:20 PM
Can somebody discuss about Bhiragadeeshwarar Kovil or Periya Kovil, Tanjore ! built by Raja Raja Chozhan !

sorry Bingle, never heard of this Kovil b4, :( if I do hear anything, I shall post it here :D

Eelavar
23rd May 2006, 12:34 AM
Raghu,

The temple that bingleguy is talking about is certainly the biggest hindu temple of the world..

It was built by the Tamil King, Raja Raja !

I found an interesting video about this temple, if you want download it ask me it in PM . It's a wonderful temple !! So beautiful ! A real God's house !

This video learned me a lot about Tamil's and Indians in general.

happyindian
23rd May 2006, 08:55 AM
Try this: http://www.templenet.com and this: http://www.indiantemplesportal.com

Perhaps we cud post info here not found elsewhere on the net - something authentic that some of us hv heard from elders / discovered on our travels....

Raghu
23rd May 2006, 03:25 PM
Raghu,

The temple that bingleguy is talking about is certainly the biggest hindu temple of the world..

It was built by the Tamil King, Raja Raja !

I found an interesting video about this temple, if you want download it ask me it in PM . It's a wonderful temple !! So beautiful ! A real God's house !

This video learned me a lot about Tamil's and Indians in general.

Dear Eelavar,

This is a Sivan Kovil Right?

Thanks

rocketboy
23rd May 2006, 10:17 PM
Periya kovil is an architectural wonder .It is said that the shadow of the temple never falls on the ground. But the place I like the most is Pazhani.

Pazhani is the abode of Lord Kaarthickeyan and is one among the 'aaru padai veedu" of the Lord. The nearest town to Pazhani , if I am not wrong , is Dindukal. Pazhani is not connected by the rail and one can go to Dindukal by train and then make their way to Pazhani or they can go to Tiruchi and catch a bus to Pazhani.

The temple is maintained by a trust which also provides accommodation at reasonable price.

The sanctum sanctorum is located atop a hill . One can reach the top by climbing the steps leading to the temple or by using a winch (but be prepared to risk your life ). Its really tiresome for middle aged people to climb the steps. This is the place where the "yanai adi pathai' comes to the rescue. Though the route is a bit longer the path spirals , so people generally don't tire.

Now enroute you'll come across a number of people . They call them selves "malai pandarm". Beware of these people. They'll easily cheat you . Once you reach the top you can directly enter the temple premises. Pazhani attracts people only from Tamilnadu and from the neighbouring state Kerala. So its not very crowded except on special festive days like Thaipoosam. It doesn't take much time to get a 'darshan'. You won't be pushed across , the way it is done in Tirupathi . One will get sufficient time to seek the blessings. The statue is said to be made by Bodhar , an alchemist . Legend says he mixed nine poisonous metals to give shape to the statue. It is believed that the statue has some curative power. Quakes living in and around that area have secretly scrapped metal fragments from the statue and due to that the the leg parts have become so thin. There was actually a move by the govt of Tamilnadu to replace the statue with another. But it was met with protests that they reverted back to the original. This is hear say. i don't know how far this is true. One important thing. Be prepared to get cheated once again. The priests over there have devised ingenious methods to dupe people . All in the name of religion. :evil: . I am sick of these people. The signifance of the place is well known. So i won't dwell on that.Then there is bodhar sannidhi nearby .And a small stagnant pool of water, which is considered holy, on the way up. I am not able to remember the name. I was not able to notice any architectural marvel but this is one place that I would like to visit often.I'll try to upload videos of this temple as well as other famous saivam temples in Tamilnadu later and give the links. Btw Pazhani's original name was Thiruavinankudi. More information about this temple and other temples dedicated to Lord Kaarthickeyan can be found at www.murugan.org

Nakeeran
23rd May 2006, 10:58 PM
Raghu Anne

Thanjur koil was buit by the king raja raja cholan during 10th century I think.
I have been to this temple thrice and its an architectural splendour ! ( however , no comparisons between Ellora rock caves )

The beauty is that Tanjore didnt have much of rocks and it seems they have brought from some other place and built it.

The tower is huge ! however, the Vimanam is structured in such a way that the shadow never falls !

You should also visit Gangai konda cholapuram ( this town was built by his son rajendra cholan )

Eelavar
24th May 2006, 01:22 AM
Raghu,

Yes it's a shivan temple, there is a huge lingam in ( 12 feet high and 5 feet diameter).

Raghu
24th May 2006, 02:47 PM
Raghu,

Yes it's a shivan temple, there is a huge lingam in ( 12 feet high and 5 feet diameter).

Dear Eelavar,

ur avatar, is it Nalloor murugan kovil?

rocketboy
24th May 2006, 09:13 PM
http://www.savefile.com/files/8204292

That's Pazhani temple for you.

Eelavar
24th May 2006, 10:52 PM
Yes Raghu it's the Jaffna Nallur Murugan kovil. ;-)

S.Balaji
24th May 2006, 11:22 PM
Sorry Raghu dear .......

I couldnt visit the thread for long....

Soon will do my best in this thread . Probably I can cover the temples around Kumbakonam ( thanjavur belt )

rocketboy
25th May 2006, 09:10 AM
A few wanted to know about Periya kovil.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1202591

Eelavar
25th May 2006, 03:31 PM
thanks for the link rocketoy. :wink:

crazy
25th May 2006, 04:53 PM
great tread

thank u raghu, eelavar and all!

hm my temple knowledge is very little!

the only temple i know is trichy thayumaanvar kovil!
and i have been to bragadeeshwarar kovil and rameshwaram. wow rameshwaram was so beautiful. i felt myself blessed to be there!
ah i have been to srirangam, uchi pillayar, samayapuram..................and a lot of other temple around trichy. i never know their history :cry:
periyar kovil it was also so beautiiful. it was written somewhere that it was the first temple in TN to allow harijans inn :?: not sure but it was written there along with Mahatmas saying something!

bingleguy
25th May 2006, 06:15 PM
Wow Crazy ! u reminded me of Thayumaanavar Kovil ! The temple is famously called the Rock Fort in Tiruchirapalli District (325 kms south west of Chennai)

The Rock Fort temple is famously known as the Ucchi Pillayar kovil, in the half way is situated the Thaayumaanavar kovil (Lord Siva temple).

Swamy thaayum + aanavar = the lord who took the form of a mother ! When a lady, who was pregnant and her mother was stranded on the other bank of river Cauvery, which was over flowing -> the swamy took the form of her mother and helped the pregnant lady for her delivery ! hence the name thaayum aanavar

bingleguy
25th May 2006, 06:19 PM
More about Rock Fort Temple

As the name suggests, the Rock Fort Temple is situated on 83 m high outcrops.This temple was built by the Pallavas as a small cave temple, but the Nayaks made use of its naturally fortified position. It is a stiff climb, up the 437 steps cut into the stone to the top.

The Rock Fort Temple complex in Tiruchirappalli or Trichy is a fine combination of three temples, the Manikka Vinayakar temple at the foot of the hill, the Uchhi Pillayar Koyil at the top of the hill and the Thaayumaanavar Koyil Shivastalam on the hill. Shivastalam is a rock cut temple on a hill and the most noticeable landmark in Tiruchirappalli, reached by a flight of steps on the way to the famous Ucchi Pillayar temple.

There is a rock cut Pallava temple called Lalitankura Pallaveswaram in this hill temple complex, with several inscriptions here attributed to Mahendravarma Pallavan. In addition the Cholas, the Vijayanagar rulers and the Nayaks of Madurai have made extensive contributions here. The two storeyed Taayumaanava temples, built on a hill is a masterpiece of construction.

Six worship services are offered each day here. This well equipped temple celebrates the annual Brahmotsavam in Chithirai. Aadi Pooram and the float festival in Panguni are also of significance here. Built by the Nayaks of Madurai, it holds two temples dedicated to Shiva and Ganesha.

Rock Fort Temple This rock also contains excavated cave temples dating to the 7th century A.D, famous for the fine sculptures.

Non-Hindus are not allowed into the Vinayaka Temple at the summit and at the bigger Sri Thayumanaswamy Temple dedicated to Siva, halfway up. The monument is open daily from 6 am to 8 pm. Shoes have to be left at the entrance near the temple elephant which passes each monotonous day blessing devotees in exchange for money.

Raghu
25th May 2006, 08:36 PM
Wow Crazy ! u reminded me of Thayumaanavar Kovil ! The temple is famously called the Rock Fort in Tiruchirapalli District (325 kms south west of Chennai)

The Rock Fort temple is famously known as the Ucchi Pillayar kovil, in the half way is situated the Thaayumaanavar kovil (Lord Siva temple).

Bingle,

Yes, I have seen this on TV, a dedicated 24 hr channel called 'Aastha TV' which comes free on Sky Digital. There I saw this Temple, and the Rock, it was HUGE , and i heard that Vibushan from Ramayana has some thing 2 do with this Uchi Pilayar Kovil/ Thayumanavar Kovil.

some 1 pls Clarify this ...

crazy
26th May 2006, 01:29 PM

eppadi sollaama irukka mudiyum?
the temples in trichy are the only temples i know..............there was another temple there on the way to samayapuram, iam not sure what name it was ,but its a beautiful temple!

there was anotehr temple in urayur cant remember, but it was so crowdy during sanipeyarchi days!

anyone know? :roll:

Eelavar
26th May 2006, 02:14 PM
i never was been in India :(

crazy
26th May 2006, 02:16 PM
i never was been in India :(

hm i have never been in eelam :cry:

crazy
26th May 2006, 05:24 PM
another famous temple in trichy
vekkaali amman kovil in urayur!
iam not so sure about the history :roll:
anyone knows?

bingleguy
26th May 2006, 05:50 PM
Bingle,
Yes, I have seen this on TV, a dedicated 24 hr channel called 'Aastha TV' which comes free on Sky Digital. There I saw this Temple, and the Rock, it was HUGE , and i heard that Vibushan from Ramayana has some thing 2 do with this Uchi Pilayar Kovil/ Thayumanavar Kovil.

Well,Raghu ... actually Vibeeshana has links with the Sri Rangam temple ! n ofcourse some say with this temple too !

This starts somewhere during the time when Ravan was killed by Lord Rama and he gave the country Lanka to Vibeeshana ! He came along with his flying chariot to Ayodhya and after Lord Rama's Pattabhishekam, before leaving the place, requested the lord be with him always !
So Lord Rama gave an idol of Sri Aranganathar perumal, but with a condition ... he shld not keep it on the ground anywhere in betweem, if done so, the idol will stick to the ground ! Receiving the idol from Sri Rama, Vibeeshana returned to Lanka ... While returning from tehre, when he was crossing the river Cauvery, he wanted to perform his Sandhyavandhanam, so thought wat to do with the idol ?
Then he saw a young lad sitting near the river, he requested him to hold the idol, for which the boy said a condition ... that he shld return back when he finishes calling him 3 times ... o.w he will keep the idol down.... Accepting this Vibeeshana entered the river Cauvery ...

The boy was none other than Lord Ganesha ! he calls Vibeshana 3 times and before he could come running ... he kept the idol down and the idol got stuck to the ground ! .... Angry Vibeeshana chased the boy .. who climbed a rock and sat on the top ... also n anger Vibeeshana hit him in his head ... making a hole ! (the hole is present even today on Shri Ganesha's head on the Ucchi Pillayar kovil ....

This is the story ... that gives a connection between Vibeeshana and Uchchi Pillayar kovil !

:-) guess i clarified ur doubt !

bingleguy
26th May 2006, 05:53 PM
another famous temple in trichy
vekkaali amman kovil in urayur!
iam not so sure about the history :roll:
anyone knows?

Vekkali Amman kovil ... that is a pretty famous temple !
am not sure about the history !

in that temple, the Amman inside the temple does not have a roof ! (Open Roof) hence Vek Kaali Amman

Even today, u ll get papers to write ur wishes and have it in front of the Amman for those coming true !

crazy
26th May 2006, 06:22 PM
in that temple, the Amman inside the temple does not have a roof ! (Open Roof) hence Vek Kaali Amman

Even today, u ll get papers to write ur wishes and have it in front of the Amman for those coming true !

yeah i know that, my grandpa used to praise the temple. i even wrote my wishes when i was very little! onething happened ............it was long way back. i dont even remeber what else i wrote!
anyway she is there and she might have seen what i wrote!
when i was in trichy i used to go to that temple every friday! i loved the pongal in that temple, later they used to give.........iam not sure what that is, but it was something like giving free meal for the poor, i guess!

devapriya
26th May 2006, 07:17 PM
Friends,

Many temples within Chennai and surroundings are very old.

Uttukottai- Pallikonda Easwaran Temple is very Different.

Here Lord Shiva is in Palli Konda Thirukolam.

Parvathi forced him to Lie to stop Poison that he drank after the Parkadal was milked.

Devapriya.

S.Balaji
28th May 2006, 03:27 PM
Raghu,

I wish to start with my area & very famous in chennai :

KAPALEESHWARAR TEMPLE !

For your information, the name Mylai came out of the history behind this temple.
Goddess Parvathi did penance in the form of a peacock and reached Lord Shiva.
Mayilapuri later got changed as Mylapore .....

The main Deity is Lord Shri Kapaleeshwara and the Goddess name is Smt. Karpagambal
As I am a Mylaporevasee for long, I have been regular in worshipping the Lord and you will have to see this temple !
As you see the Goddess Parvathi glowing , your hands will fold and will fall flat automatically ! thats the power of mother Karpagambal !

There is another legend behind this ...that the main deity was near beachside & fearing invasion, the devotees took the idol and installed in the area where the temple is now....
there is a huge tank and the surrounding streets are called MADAVIDHEE.....
The beauty of this area is that the old tradition and the buildings are still intact ! all the old shops are still around......

the karpagambal mess is one very famous hotel still maintaining the same old tradition and Nalennai dosa is quite popular !

The main gopuram stands tall and majestic !

Every year during April, grand festival will be conducted for 10 days and the area turns festive mood !
every day , one oorvalam will be performed...
One day will have the big chariot
another day evening, the 63 nayanmars along with the main deity will have a procession ......

Pls go through the links below :

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/14728.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreampics/132337566/
( under mylapore festival set )

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/enc1/kapaleeshwarar_temple

Soon I will cover the temples in and around KUMBAKONAM and also KANCHI

devapriya
29th May 2006, 10:14 AM
Friends,

Oldest Shivan Temples in Chennai are

1. Kapalesswarar Temple Mylapur
2. Marutheswarar Temple -Thiruvanmiyur
3. Vadapalani Shivan Temple
4. Tirisulam
5. ThiruMazisai
6. ThiruVottiyur
7. Padi
8. Koyampedu
9. Thirivatteswarar-Triplicane
10. Thiruninravur
balance in my next posts. Friends can give detail of this temples.

Devapriya

Raghu
30th May 2006, 02:32 PM
Bingle,

Well,Raghu ... actually Vibeeshana has links with the Sri Rangam temple ! n ofcourse some say with this temple too !

This starts somewhere during the time when Ravan was killed by Lord Rama and he gave the country Lanka to Vibeeshana ! He came along with his flying chariot to Ayodhya and after Lord Rama's Pattabhishekam, before leaving the place, requested the lord be with him always !
So Lord Rama gave an idol of Sri Aranganathar perumal, but with a condition ... he shld not keep it on the ground anywhere in betweem, if done so, the idol will stick to the ground ! Receiving the idol from Sri Rama, Vibeeshana returned to Lanka ... While returning from tehre, when he was crossing the river Cauvery, he wanted to perform his Sandhyavandhanam, so thought wat to do with the idol ?
Then he saw a young lad sitting near the river, he requested him to hold the idol, for which the boy said a condition ... that he shld return back when he finishes calling him 3 times ... o.w he will keep the idol down.... Accepting this Vibeeshana entered the river Cauvery ...

The boy was none other than Lord Ganesha ! he calls Vibeshana 3 times and before he could come running ... he kept the idol down and the idol got stuck to the ground ! .... Angry Vibeeshana chased the boy .. who climbed a rock and sat on the top ... also n anger Vibeeshana hit him in his head ... making a hole ! (the hole is present even today on Shri Ganesha's head on the Ucchi Pillayar kovil ....

This is the story ... that gives a connection between Vibeeshana and Uchchi Pillayar kovil !

:-) guess i clarified ur doubt !

Oh yes, I re-cal this, thanks a lot Bingle.. :-)

bingleguy
30th May 2006, 02:34 PM
Anytime Raghu ! :-) guess it was informative

Raghu
30th May 2006, 02:41 PM
Balaji AnNe,

Thanks for the Info, I shall check out the links a bit later.

Dear all.

Can some one tell me anything about 'Annamalai Deepam' or anything about Annamalai Shivan Kovil?

thanks a lot

S.Balaji
30th May 2006, 03:00 PM
Balaji AnNe,

Thanks for the Info, I shall check out the links a bit later.

Dear all.

Can some one tell me anything about 'Annamalai Deepam' or anything about Annamalai Shivan Kovil?

thanks a lot

Raghu dear, how are you ?

Annamalai deepam refers to Karthikai deepam festival being celebrated in Thiruvannamalai, a town which is 5 hours drive from Chennai by road. This is one of the most famous temples in TN.
The presiding deity is Lord Arunachaleshwarar alias Annamalaiyar ( enna Thalaivar eppadi peyar pottukondar avar padathukku endru yosichufying now ! ) . The Goddess name is Abithakujambal alias Unnamulai amman.

Its one of the ancient temples of India !

Indeed you have given an excellent opportunity to me because Thiruvannamalai is MY NATIVE town. I will soon give a vivid description of this temple.

I HAVE TO WRITE SO MANY THINGS ABOUT THIS TOWN AND TEMPLE

Raghu
30th May 2006, 03:37 PM
Balaji anNe,

I am Ok, I shall pm u later, sorry 4 the delay, been busy as usual in this materilaistic world :(

Pls post about Arunatcheleshwar, I have seen this temple only from Super * movie Arunatchalam, that Shivalingam was quite big in that song (Athaanda ithaanda Arunatchalam naanthanda )

Arthi
1st June 2006, 10:05 AM
Wow nice thread...

Does anyone know a temple in Tanjore District
Sri Hara Saabha Vimocchana Perumal Temple. This temple is in THIRIKKANDIYUR near Thiruvaiyaru which is famous for SAPTHASTHANAM...(I have written about sapthasthanam in Nayanmaar thread)
One interesting information about this place is, this place is otherwise called as "Thirumurthy shetram", where Brahma,Vishnu,shiva has their temple here.
But Now no pooja is being performed for Brahma.
The Vishnu temple is amongst 108 thirupathis.
Perumal Name is Sri Hara Saabha Vimocchanapperumal, Thayaar Kamala valli Thaayar.
Will write the Stala puraanam shortly :)

bingleguy
1st June 2006, 11:31 AM
Trimurthy sthalam, this reminds me of the temple Uththamar Kovil - This is one more temple which has Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva sthalams !

All three gods have appeared before Pichchaadanar or Bhikshandaar munivar ... hence the temple also has a name Bhikshandaar kovil :-)

can anyone throw more light on this !

I ve been to this temple, When u enter the temple, u can see Perumal Kovil, and to his left is Brahma kovil and behind perumal, is Sivan kovil !

Arthi
1st June 2006, 12:48 PM
Is there any link between this Kandiyoor Temple and Uththamar Kovil ...

Bcoz In Kandiyoor Perumal Protected Lord Shiva from his curse thats why the name is
"Hara Saabha Vimocchanapperumal"
saabatha viduvichadhaal this name for Kandiyoor kovil

In Uththamar Kovil also I believe perumal/Thayaar gave alms and Protected Lord shiva from some curse, so this temple is called as Pichchaadanar Kovil.

????

bingleguy
1st June 2006, 12:53 PM
Arthi, i guess Pichaandaar or Bhikshaadanar is a munivar ! :roll:

Arthi
1st June 2006, 01:00 PM
Arthi, i guess Pichaandaar or Bhikshaadanar is a munivar ! :roll:
I feel am right... here Lord Vishnu gives alms to Lord shiva, to cure his curse.

crazy
1st June 2006, 01:28 PM
Trimurthy sthalam, this reminds me of the temple Uththamar Kovil - This is one more temple which has Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva sthalams ! !

i have been there too! iam not sure how it was! it has been ages since i was there :roll:

Arthi
1st June 2006, 02:06 PM
The head of Brahma which was pulled out by Shiva stuck to his palms, and only after receiving alms from Mahalakshmi it came out.
This is a short story about Uthamar Kovil...
I believe there is a link between Kandiyoor kovil and Uthamar Kovil.

Will find it out :)

crazy
1st June 2006, 02:08 PM
The head of Brahma which was pulled out by Shiva stuck to his palms, and only after receiving alms from Mahalakshmi it came out.

thanks arthi
so shame. lived so many yrs in trichy and have been there so many times and never been intrested to know their history!

Arthi
1st June 2006, 02:17 PM
I know the story but need some clarifications before posting here Crazy,thats y just pointed the reason for that temple.
I ask my relatives and first clear my dubts and tomorrow i will try to post the full story

crazy
1st June 2006, 02:21 PM
I know the story but need some clarifications before posting here Crazy,thats y just pointed the reason for that temple.
I ask my relatives and first clear my dubts and tomorrow i will try to post the full story

ok :)

pamrang
1st June 2006, 08:51 PM
I think this legend of Harasaapavimochana perumal holds good also for a third temple at thirukurunkudi near tirunelveli.

Also, regarding trimurthy stalam, Devanatha perumal at Tiruvahindrapuram near Kadalur is also called Moovaragiya oruvar. I believe the story behind this is that Vishnu took up the form of 3 in 1 to end a Deva-Asura war, after which he was requested to stay in Tiruvahindrapuram and Lord Shiva in the nearby Tirupapuliyur. Could anybody with more information please elaborate?

Eelavar
6th June 2006, 12:22 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3647180062330419712&q=genre%3Adocumentary+duration%3Along+India

It's a good documentary about indian temples.. To see..

Thanks google..

crazy
6th June 2006, 01:58 PM
nandri eelavar
good link! :)

Arthi
7th June 2006, 11:04 AM
[tscii:7e344ce78f]

Story of uthamar koil and thirukandiyoor

Bikshandarkoil and Thirukandiyur are two places where Siva, Vishnu and Brahma are seen near each other. T. A. SRINIVASAN dwells on their significance.

THERE ARE not many temples where the Great Trinity — Lords Narayana, Siva and Brahma — are worshipped in the same premises, though in the temples in Suchindram, near Nagercoil, and in Thirukkannapuram, near Nannilam, the Sivalingam in the former and the idol of Narayana in the latter, are said to represent the Trinity. In the North, there is a separate temple for Lord Brahma at Pushkaram. But in the Chozha country there are two holy places sanctified by Azhwars' hymns where there are temples for all the three Gods, not in one, but two places — in Karambanur or Uthamarkoil or Bhikshandarkoil, near Srirangam and in Thirukandiyur, near Thanjavur.

Both these places are interlinked as Lord Siva was cured of a curse partially when He visited Karambanur and fully when He visited Thirukandiyur. According to legend, Lord Brahma originally had five heads to represent the five elements of Nature and Lord Siva also had five. This led to confusion and once Goddess Parvathi, mistaking Brahma for Siva, offered "Paadha Pooja" to the former.

Angered by this Siva removed one of the heads of Brahma, which however, due to a curse by Brahma, got stuck to Siva's palm. Siva lost His lustre and charm due to "Brahmahathi Dosham" and went from one holy place to another to get rid of he sin. When He visited Karambanur Lord Purushothama asked Goddess Poorva Devi to offer Bhiksha to Siva and when She did it, Siva was partially relieved of the curse as the "Brahma Kapalam" (Brahma's skull) on His palm, got filled up, but it did not fall down. Lord Purushothama then asked Him to go to Thirukandiyur and take bath in the water source there to get cured of the curse. He did so and worshipped the Lord there and was completely relieved of the curse. The water source that was till then known as Kamala Pushkarani, after the incident came to be known as Kapaala Theertham.

Lord Siva, who was pleased by the turn of events, built a temple for Lord Narayana and also built a temple for Himself, near it. Brahma was also housed in a separate temple nearby, but the temple got dilapidated in course of time and the idols of Brahma and Saraswati are kept in the Siva Temple. All the three temples are so situated that one can go round them at the same time. The place is known as Kandiyur or Kandana Kshetram as those who visit it and worship Lord Narayana and the Goddess there would be rid of all their sins including Brahmahathi Dosham. It is also known as Pancha Kamala Kshetram.

According to another legend, it was Goddess Mahalakshmi, who requested Siva to remove one of the heads of Brahma as Brahma looked so charming with five heads and She feared that the Lord would shower all His affection on His son, ignoring Her. Apart from Lord Siva, King Mahabali and Bhrigu Maharishi also got rid of their sins by worshipping the Lord here, according to legend. According to another legend, Sage Bhrigu, who visited the three Lords in their abodes to test their superiority and kicked Lord Narayana on His chest, wanted to atone for the sin by visiting all holy places. He got peace when he visited the Kamala Kshetram. The Moon, who committed the sin of seducing his preceptor's wife and lost his charm and shape, was restored of them partially when he took bath in the holy water source and worshipped the Lord here.

The temple, which is situated on a one-acre site between Kudamurutti and Vennar rivers, has got two prakarams. It has a three-tier Rajagopuram facing east. After passing through Garudamandapam and Mahamandapam, one can worship Harasapavimochana Perumal in standing posture. The holy water source of Kapala Moksha Pushkarani is on the western side of the temple. Just opposite to it is the Padma Theertham or Mahabali Theertham. There are shrines for Narasimha, Sudarsana, Andal, Azhwars and Desika in the outer prakaram. The Goddess, Kamalavalli or Kamala Nachiyar, is housed in a separate shrine.

The Brahmotsavam is held in the month of Panguni. The temple is considered anterior to the Srirangam Temple, as it was in existence during the Kritha Yuga. The temple is being renovated due to the efforts of Srimad Andavan Sri Rangaramanuja Mahadesikan. Works relating to the Rajagopuram, Perumal and Thayar vimanams have been completed. The earlier renovation of the temple was also undertaken by the previous Andavan, Sri Thirukudanthai Vedanta Ramanuja Mahadesikan in 1984.

Lord Siva's temple here is one of the Ashta Veeratta Sthalas and the fifth of the Aezhoor Sthalas. The Lord is known as Brahma Sirakandeeswarar, Veeratteswarar and Adhi Viswanathar. The Goddess is known as Mangala Nayaki. The holy tree is vilvam and the holy water source is Brahma Theertham. On the 13th, 14th and 15th days of the Tamil month of Masi, the Sun's rays fall on the Sivalingam in the sanctum sanctorum. There are shrines for Bhairavar, Suryan, Vinayaka, Skanda, Ardhanareeswara and Vishnu Durgai. The goddess is housed in a separate shrine facing south. The temple belongs to the Chozha period. The same is the case with the Brahma Temple nearby, which is in a dilapidated condition.

Thanx Guruji for PMing me this info :)[/tscii:7e344ce78f]

Surya
8th June 2006, 01:16 AM
Sholinghapuram - Yoga Narasimhar and Yoga Aanjaneyar Kovil. - This Divyadesam is a complex of three temples, one at ground level, one on a 500 feet high hill, and another on a smaller hill, enshrining Yoga Anjaneyar. One of the 108 Temples & Celestial Abodes of Vishnu revered by the Tamil hymns of the Alwars of the 1st millennium CE.

Rough Discription: Description This Divya Desam is accessed from Arakkonam junction, the terminating point of the suburban railroad originating at Chennai. Sholingur has its own railhead, although the temple is located at a considerable distance from the railway station.
Sholingapuram is a town of historical importance as this is where a battle was fought between Hyder Ali and the British in 1781.

The name Sholingapuram stems from the legend that a Chola Raja discovered a Shiva lingam and built a temple here (Chola Linga Puram, hence Sholingapuram). The Bhrama Puranam refers to this shrine as Katikachalam and Chintamani. It is also referred to as Vada Tiruvarangam.

Dieties: Deities: In the ground temple, the festival image of Bhaktavatsala Perumal is enshrined. There is also a shrine to Adikesava Perumal here.

The Katikachalam Hill, (400 feet above sea level) reached via a flight of 1000 steps enshrines Yoga Narasimhar in a seated posture facing east; Amritavalli Taayaar is enshrined in a separate sanctum. The entrance faces north while the shrine faces east. Seven mandapams are seen enroute. The hill temple has 2 prakarams and a 5 tiered vimanam.

The Srinivasa Pushmarini is in front of the Bhaktavatsalar temple while the Bhramma theertham is on the road leading to the hill temple. There are also the Narasimha Theertham and the Bhairavi Theertham and the Tiruvadi Theertham. There are several other Theerthams in the hill and its environs.

Enroute, there is a shrine with an image of Varadaraja Perumal, seated on the Garuda mount.

The smaller hill enshrines Yoga Anjaneyar, with four arms, bearing a conch and a discus. This temple has two towers and the Hanuman theertham and the Rama theertham. There are also shrines to Pallikonda Ranganathar facing south, and Kodandaramar facing West. The Pandava theertham is situated at the bottom of this hill.

Inscrtiptions from theperiod fof Parantaka Chola I (10tth cent) as well as those from the Vijayanagar period are found here. It is said that even during the time of Karikal Cholan, this region of Tamilnadu was referred to as Kadikaikkottam.

Legends: It is believed that even residing here for a matter of minutes (katikai or half an hour) would liberate one from the cycle of births and deaths and hence the name Katikachalam. (Ghatikachalam). Legend has it that Viswamitrar worshipped Vishnu for a 'katikai' and earned the title Bhrammarishi. The Saptarishis desirous of a vision of Narasimhavataram, were blessed after they prayed here for a 'katikai'.

It is believed that those afflicted with psychological ailments, find cure upon residing here. There is also a legend that this hallowed hill which arose out of the surrounding plains, continued to rise in height much to the chagrin of Indra, who requested Balaramar to press it down to its present height. Another legend has it that a ruler engaged in hunting in this area, was guided by a divine source of light emanating from a deer which he had struck - to the path of non violence. It is believed that Hanuman had manifested himself in this form. Hanuman is believed to have been sent here by Rama to help a ruler kill demons in this area. Valmiki is said to have worshipped here.

Another legend has it that upon the completion of his mission in Ramavataram, Rama intended to leave the mortal world here; desirous of being with him, Hanuman accompanied him here. Upon reaching here it was discovered that demons were causing undue hardships to the saptarishis who were desirous of having a vision of Vishnu. With Rama's blessings Hanuman vanquished the demons. Rama provided the saptarishis with a vision of Narasimhavataram and an elated Hanuman bearing a conch and discus that had been given to him by Rama stood on the nearby hill.

Another legend has it that the planet mercury - Budhan worshipped here and was relieved of a curse that had been placed on him by Durvasa muni.

There are several literary works extoling the greatness of this shrine.

Lambretta
8th June 2006, 02:56 PM
Tks for th info. machi! Tats very interesting! :D

Will visit it......sumtime! :|

crazy
8th June 2006, 03:12 PM
arthi :clap:

Arthi
8th June 2006, 03:29 PM
Thanx Crazy :)

I had been to kandiyoor temple many a times, thats why i was very much confident that there should be some link b/w Uthamar kovil & Kandiyoor Kovil

crazy
8th June 2006, 03:32 PM
Thanx Crazy :)

I had been to kandiyoor temple many a times, thats why i was very much confident that there should be some link b/w Uthamar kovil & Kandiyoor Kovil

i have never been to kandiyoor kovil, but uthamar kovil been there many times :)

Arthi
8th June 2006, 05:32 PM
Surya: Nice description :)

It is believed that if anybody stay one night in srirangam, they get Mookti like that of Sholinghapuram what you said.

One more thing I want to corelate is in Gunaseelam also it is believed that psychological ailments will be cured upon residing here.
After reading the description aboove Ijust thought of sharing this info. :)

Nakeeran
8th June 2006, 05:51 PM
Surya: Nice description :)

It is believed that if anybody stay one night in srirangam, they get Mookti like that of Sholinghapuram what you said.

One more thing I want to corelate is in Gunaseelam also it is believed that psychological ailments will be cured upon residing here.
After reading the description aboove Ijust thought of sharing this info. :)

Arthi, Surya & others

Sholingar is one to be visited. A very well maintained temple with the basic facilities available. TVS groups has its extensive presence there
Karthigai is believed to be the holy month & devotees throng during this season as Lord Narasima is believed to open his eyes and bless everyone ( Otherwise he will be in Yoga posture )

It will take atleast 1 hour to climb Narasimhar sannadhi . Adjacent to the hill, Anchaneyar temple is situated in another hill

One should get down at Arakonam rly stn & take bus / taxi

Surya
8th June 2006, 11:38 PM
Lamby,
Yeah, It's one of the temples that MUST be visited! :D :D

Thanks Arthi,
Yeah, Gunaseelam also. That's why they have these places that treat mental diseases there also. :)

Nakeeran,

Yeah it is! It is my familes "Kuladeivam" so we make sure taht we go there everytime we visit India.

The Yoga Anjeneyar Temple is on a smaller hill than the Yoga Narasimhar Temple.

So I'd recommend you guys to go to the Yoga Aanjeneyar Temple First, right after you get there, and go to the Yoga Narasimhar temple the next day.

A Couple Important Facts You Should Know When You Visit:

-- Both Hills are Heavily populated by monkeys. Make sure that you don't have any of the offerings in a visible bag or anything when going up the steps. Also, the shopowners @ the bottom of the hill have sticks that you can borrow when you go up the hill. Make sure you get them.

-- The temples close @ 5:00. All Dharshan ends around 4:45. Because legend has it that the monkeys are Yogies who have gotten a boon from Lord Narasimha in Kritha Yugam (that's how long Lord Narasimha has been there, you can imagine how old this diety is. The actual temple was later on constructed by various kings.) So Lord Narasimha grated to boon to these sages that in all 4 yugams they will stay with Lord Narasimha. So the story is that until 5, they are monkeys, and after 5, they start their Poojas, and Yaagams for Narasimha. So the temples close @ 5:00pm.

Sholinghur has this divine ambiance, which just has to be expierenced!! :)

Arthi
9th June 2006, 09:07 AM
Surya: cld u explain about Stala purana of this temple? :)

Raghu
9th June 2006, 03:19 PM
I think, we should talk about the 'AAru Padai veedu' the six temples of Lord Muruga, as mentioned in Kantha Puranam and Kanthar shashti Kavasam,

any takers?

crazy
9th June 2006, 03:25 PM
thiruchandoor
i dont know the history, but my grandparents used to go there for kanda shashti season. i have been there many times. i love the beach :roll: there...........so beautiful. :)

Raghu
9th June 2006, 07:24 PM
thiruchandoor
i dont know the history, but my grandparents used to go there for kanda shashti season. i have been there many times. i love the beach :roll: there...........so beautiful. :)

Crazy,

Is Thiruchandoor, the name of the place?, yes the beach is very nice, any temples situated along the beaches are very beautiful indeed, it gives a nice sea breeze along, it gives a more pleaseant and highly spititual feelings!

crazy
9th June 2006, 07:27 PM
thiruchandoor

Crazy,

Is Thiruchandoor, the name of the place?, yes the beach is very nice, any temples situated along the beaches are very beautiful indeed, it gives a nice sea breeze along, it gives a more pleaseant and highly spititual feelings!

yes its the name of a place :roll: i dont know any other names!

Surya
10th June 2006, 02:10 AM
Surya: cld u explain about Stala purana of this temple? :)

I'm running a little low on time today, I'll give a detailed one soon, until then here's something I stumbled upon on the net when I googled it. :)

http://srivaishnavam.com/divyadesam108/sholingur.htm

pizzalot
15th June 2006, 08:21 AM
I missed Tanjore.

I saw Meenakshi temple in just a year before in Madurai. I was simply awstruck by the planning of Madurai with the temple in the center.

One has to see the temple with a historic perspective. If you think how Pandya Kings and other people a 1000 years before could have stood in the same place where you stand today .. mei silurkudhu pa.

That reminds me of something. Why we do not see any palace in TN. What happened to Chola/Pandya/Chera/Pallava Kings' palaces ? Looks like their private houses were not as big as the temples (public property) they built.

Eelavar
16th June 2006, 02:33 AM
pizzalot good remark..

Tamil Kings didn't build palaces for their own interest, but built great and wonderful temples for the use of the people..

Surya
17th June 2006, 06:22 AM
If you think how Pandya Kings and other people a 1000 years before could have stood in the same place where you stand today .. mei silurkudhu pa.

:D :D Very Good Point!!

Ithukke Mei Silurkudhu-nu solreengale, you should visit some VERY ANCIENT temples like Sholinghur, Varnasi, Ayodhya or Mathura. To have the expierence of standing in the same place where Great Kinds once stood is one thing, but to have the expierence of standing in a place where GODS once walked is completly another! Ecstatic! :D

Surya
17th June 2006, 06:42 AM
SUN TEMPLE, KONARK, ORISSA.

The temple was built by Samba, the Son of Krishna, who constructed this temple for Lord Surya. [/b]

[html:680f5af5ba]http://www.templenet.com/Orissa/konark.jpg[/html:680f5af5ba]
The whole structure is in the form of a giant horse drawn chariot of the Sun. Together, the 24 wheels of the Chariot and the 7 horses drawing it symbolize the passage of time. The front of the main entrance has two giant stone lions crushing elephants.

As you climb up the stairs, you'll see statues of horses on both side. All over the walls of this huge temple are beautiful carvings, sculptures and bas-reliefs (figures projecting from a plain background). Among them are thousands of images of gods, goddesses.

History:
Konark derives its name from Konarka, the presiding deity of the Sun Temple. Konarka is actually a combination of two words, Kona (corner) and Arka (sun), which, when combined, means the sun of the corner. The place finds mention in the Puranas as Mundira or Mundirasvamin, a name that was subsequently replaced by Konaditya or Konarka. Apart from the Puranas, other religious texts also have discriptions of the Sun Temple. You can imagine how ancient the temple must have been, if it was mentioned in the Puranas.

The present Sun Temple was constructed by Samba, the son of Lord Krishna. Samba was afflicted by leprosy, brought about by his father's (Krishna's) curse on him. After 12 years of penance, he was cured by Surya, the Sun God, in whose honour he built this temple.

ARCHITECTURE

The massive structure of the temple, now in ruins, sits in solitary splendor surrounded by the drifting sands. The entire temple has been designed in the shape of a chariot carrying the Sun God across the heavens. The huge intricate wheels of the chariot, which are carved around the base of the temple, are the major attractions of the temple. The spokes of these wheels serve as sundials, and the shadows formed by these can give the precise time of the day. The pyramidal roof of the temple, made of sandstone, soars over 30 m in height.

crazy
17th June 2006, 03:15 PM
surya is konark temple build by Lord Krishan's son?
i never knew that!

anyway :thumbsup: :clap:

Surya
18th June 2006, 12:04 AM
Crazy,
That's what the Sthala Puranam for the Konark Sun Temple says. I usually go by believing the sthala puranam, rather than what archeologists say, since they are terrified to take anything in the world before the 300 BC era. :)

crazy
18th June 2006, 03:57 PM
Crazy,
That's what the Sthala Puranam for the Konark Sun Temple says. I usually go by believing the sthala puranam, rather than what archeologists say, since they are terrified to take anything in the world before the 300 BC era. :)

i do believe in what our myths, religion and legends say rather archeologist.

RR
19th June 2006, 09:47 AM
Surya, added a pic to your post :thumbsup:

crazy
19th June 2006, 12:09 PM
surya pic :clap: :thumbsup:

maduraithamizhmanikandan
19th June 2006, 03:16 PM
u said konark temple is built by son of sun, but the madurai is ruled by the lord shiva itself, the name of the city is also associated with the legend i.e. once the madurai city is created, the lord shiva is coming to
bless everyone, at that time nectar(mathuram in tamil, and honey from english) is falling from him, so the city is named as mathurapuri. so konark is noway near madurai. tamil sangam valartha madurai. so every tamilian visit madurai would said mai silirikudupa. and also madurai is also known as athens of east. so surya don't claim that konark temple is ancient than madurai. madurai is the oldest city in the world. for the researchers they date madurai to 2500 years old. but madurai is certainle older than that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
SANGAM VALARTHA PERUNADAM MAAMATHURAI.

maduraithamizhmanikandan
19th June 2006, 03:17 PM
u said konark temple is built by son of sun, but the madurai is ruled by the lord shiva itself, the name of the city is also associated with the legend i.e. once the madurai city is created, the lord shiva is coming to
bless everyone, at that time nectar(mathuram in tamil, and honey from english) is falling from him, so the city is named as mathurapuri. so konark is noway near madurai. tamil sangam valartha madurai. so every tamilian visit madurai would said mai silirikudupa. and also madurai is also known as athens of east. so surya don't claim that konark temple is ancient than madurai. madurai is one of the oldest city in the world. The researchers date madurai to 2500 years old. but madurai is certainly older than that. can gandhi vandyar support my views.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
SANGAM VALARTHA PERUNADAM MAAMATHURAI.

Raghu
19th June 2006, 04:46 PM
Can any one please, talk about kasilingam? or the Shivan temple in Kasi?

Thanks

Eelavar
19th June 2006, 05:25 PM
http://www.tamilnation.org/culture/architecture/temple.htm

It is a good link about 'South Indian' Temples.

http://www.tamilnation.org/books/Art/index.htm
It is a link which give a list of books about arts and temples.

Raghu
19th June 2006, 09:18 PM
http://www.tamilnation.org/culture/architecture/temple.htm

It is a good link about 'South Indian' Temples.

http://www.tamilnation.org/books/Art/index.htm
It is a link which a list of books about arts and temples.

thanks Eelavar :clap: :clap: :clap:

Surya
20th June 2006, 12:45 AM
RR, Thanks! :D :D :D

Eelavar,
Excellent Links! :D 8-)

Eelavar
20th June 2006, 01:49 AM
Raghu and Surya,

:wink:
:wink: :thumbsup:

crazy
20th June 2006, 12:28 PM
eelavar :)

Surya
28th June 2006, 04:30 AM
THIRUKADIGAI STALA PURANAM.

[tscii:ce218ad333]S[/tscii:ce218ad333]ri Yoga Narasimhar Sri vishnu purraanam and paathma puraanam offers details about this sthalam. It is believed that Sri Lakshmi Narasimhar came to this palce after hiranya vatham and stayed here for ever in this Yoga sayanam posture. It is well kown that Srinarasimha avathaaram took place at Sri Ahobilam. However, since munivars requested the presence of Sri Narasimha here on an endless timescale, The Lord Narasimha chose to stay here for ever. This is also confirmed by thirumangai aazhwaar's reference to thakkkaanai in his paasuram presented in this article. Among all the other avathaarams this and the vaamana avathaaram are the most significant becuase of the fact that they both accomplished the misssion instantly. Many of the LAkshmi Narasimha bakthaas believe that by praying to this Lord (who is an instant acccomplisher), their prayers are fulfilled instantly if not atleast an instant relief is offered without delay by this Lord.

It is a belief that, One, would attain Moksham simply by staying here for one Kadigai (period of time) ie approximately half hour in this shekthram. Hence it is named Thiruk kadigai. It is believed that Saint Vishvaamitrar meditated for one kadigai on Lord Narasimhar and obtained his title Bramha Maharishi here. The Saptha Rishis and vaamathEvar came to this place and and started penance to have darshan of Narasimha Avathaaram, and the Lord fulfilled their wish within one kadigai of penance. Hence this hill is known as Kadikaachalam.

Sri Yoga Anchneyar After Sri Raama avathaaram, aanchneYa wanted to go back to Sri vaikundam, and serve the Lord there. The Lord instructed anchnEya to goto this place and protect the rishis penance from the oncoming danger. Two demons by name kaalan and kEyan appeared as soon as the rishis started penance and started to distrub their effort. Sri hanuman wanted an instant tool to stop it and Lord Rama offered him his changu and chakram with the help of which Hanuman killed the demons who tried to prevent the tapas of saptha rishis and vaamathEvar . Hanuman also had the darshan of Sri Narasimha in his avathaara kOlam at the lapse of a kadigai, and along with the rishis, and accepted the order of Lord Narasimha to sit in front of Him in the small hill and serve as a protector for those whoever comes to this hills seeking relief from demons or demon effects.

It is believed that Lord Narasimha asked Hanuman to stay here until the end of the Kali yugam and reach him after that. There is no other place AanchnEyaa has such prominance, ( a hill and temple as his own abode) and also with changu chakram and with four hands.

Tiruk Kadigai temple entrance Sage Durvaasa once sought the thiruth thuzhaay maalai (ie thulasi garland) of this perumal and danced with great joy by sporting this maalai on his own shoulder and and sirasu. There were many saadhus present at that time and were witnessing this event. Buthan or mercury one of the Nava grahams was also present in the form of a saadhu and he laughed at this sage's act. Sage Thurvaasa cursed him and lord budhan had to stay here in this sthalam and served all those sages who came with great pleasure to this shrine after taking bath in the paandava theerththam and got his curse (spell) cured or removed.

On the way to hills Garuda Aaaroodar Varadha Raaja perumal sannithi is there. It is believed that Kaanchi Varadhar offered Garuda Vaahana Sevai to Maha Achaaryar known as Thottaachaaryar here. (as he was not able to goto Kanchi that year and instead did meditate on this Lord to offer that darshn there itself). Even to-day this event is observed in Kaanchi and simulatneously here as a puase is kept at the entrance of this temple during the bramotsavam and garuda sErvai such that the Lord goes to kadigai for that instant to offer sEvai to thottaach chaaryaa. Similarly erumbiyapa was also one of the great mahaans lived in this place and served the Lord. This place is also used to be very fertile like chola naadu and was hence called as Chola Simha puram which became sholinga puram later. In pattinap paalai, it is refeerred that, Cholan karikaalan peruvaLaththaan called this district as kadigaik kOttam; when he subdivided his kingdom into 48 distritcs. This place is also one of the 74 simhaasanam established by Sri Raamaanuja in his 74 simhhaasanaas outlining the principles of Sri vishitaahthvaitham.

Another view of the hill Similar to Gunaseelam near Trichy, this place is also known for relief from possessing, Billi Sooniyam, etc. People come here and do Vratham for many days, take bath in Thakkaan kulam which is believed to have the essence of many Mooligais and climb the hills every day to pray anchaneYaa and Lord Narasimhar and get their Pini or Diseases or Theeraatha nOykaL cured here.

This place is also known for the presence of many Siththars similar to Thiruvannaamalai, Kollimalai, and Kutraalamalai. It is believed that the administration of this temple is under the Aatheenam of Sthala aachaarya purushaals of Thottaachaaryar clan.

This malai or hill is also known as Ekasilaa parvatham meaning that the entire hill is made of one stone, which is true and one can see that when they visit this shrine. There are unique methods or procedures attributed to each of the 108 sthalam as vazhipaatu niyamanam. At thiruppathi having the hair shaved and having a supra paatha darshanam are the best, in oppiliappan koil observing sravana vratham (without salt) on sravanms is the ideal. In this temple, it is the desire of the Lord that his bakthas climb the steep footsteps (which are similar to the parama patha Sobaanam) and pray the Lord.

venkathoney
17th July 2006, 02:08 PM
Yaravathu Grivala magimai pathi sollungappa.............

Surya
1st August 2006, 01:18 AM
Thiruvannamalaiya? :huh:

bingleguy
1st August 2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks Surya ! Keep posting :-)

Surya
15th August 2006, 04:28 AM
Thanks Bingle! :D

This is a post by a new Hubber that I saw in the Misc Section! :D Thought it'd be more appropriate here. :P

On the road to Kovalam, at the confluence of Killi and Karamana rivers is situated a clusters of shrines enclosed on all sides by high stones walls, is the popular temple of Parasurama. Generally referred to as the Thiruvallam Temple, it has the shrines dedicated to Siva, Ganapathi Krishna, Matsya murthi, Brahma and Parasurama. The images of Parasurama, Brahma, and Siva are in a row, on the south side from west to east.

The idol of Parasurama facing the north is built entirely of granite, from the foundation to the ceiling. A row of Bhuthaganas, lions, elephants, floral patterns, and bearded faces adorn the top. The shrine is round and has a rectangle mandapa in front. There is not much of sculpture or ornamentation. The idol of Parasurama has four hands, in two of which the conch and discus are held. The weapons Parasu and hala are hardly distinguishable. The weapon in the front right hand looks like a gada. The shrine of Brahma also facing the north is built of dressed granite. The image of Brahama has four heads and four hands. The idol is seated in the padmanasa on the lotus pedestal. A kamandalu-vessel with a spout- and an open lotus flower are seen in his two of his hands, while other two hands are in the yogic posture. On the west base of the Brahma shrine is an inscription in Vattezhuthu. It is about a transaction made in the month of Makaram in 399 ME, when Jupiter stood in Vruchikam. Veera Kerala Varman who ruled Venad, gave paddy and ghee from buffaloes, for the daily offering. There is one incomplete inscription, of 411 ME. It deals with the assembly convened by Mukundottama Bhattrar.

This temple with two dhwajasthambas has another legend attached to it. It is believed that Lord Vishnu appeared before Vilwamangalam with all serenity and splendor, in a recumbent posture on Adisesha with HIS head resting at Thiruvallam, HIS middle at Thiruvananthapuram and HIS feet at Truppappur.

Thiruvallam is one of the major spots where Bali to the deceased is offered on every new moon day. After the offering, people visit the shrines. But of all the new moon days the one that falls on the month of Karkitakam, is considered holy. It is said that Parasurama offered obeisance to his mother here. {388 words}

gaddeswarup
14th November 2006, 02:58 PM
This is not really about temples; it is about democratic practices in ancient Tamilnadu and might have been discusses before. I came across it through a post of mark Thoma during the recent American elections. From
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2003/10/10/stories/2003101001421200.htm
"THE KUMBABHISHEKAM on June 8 last of the Sundaravarada temple of Uttiramerur, Kanchipuram district, was the culmination of a great renovation work.

This temple was built around 750 A.D. during the Pallava rule, but underwent a second great renovation in the hands of Rajendra Chola in 1013 A.D., and again in the reign of the great Vijayanagar Emperor, Krishnadevaraya in 1520 A.D.

The village is known for its historic inscription of a written constitution that deals with elections to the village assembly, qualifications required of candidates contesting in elections, circumstances under which a candidate may be disqualified, mode of election, tenure of the elected candidates and the right of the public to recall the elected members when they failed to discharge their duties properly and so on.

It is interesting how in every aspect of life the highest standard of democracy was enforced in Uttiramerur."

podalangai
19th November 2006, 02:51 AM
Elections through the "kudavolai" system were an ancient custom all over Tamil Nadu. The Uttaramerur inscription from Parandhaka Chozhan's time is the best known historical reference, but the practice is many hundreds of years older. There is a reference to it in Sangam literature, in the Ahananuru.

Literacy was also very high in those days. A very large number of potsherds have graffiti which gives the name of the owner.

TN did not become a "feudal" society until the empires collapsed in the 14th century.

Raghu
20th November 2006, 03:51 PM
Can some1 pls elaborate on the Architectural Differences from Various states within the states amongst Tamil Nadu?

Such as if you look at the temples in Maharashtra to a temple in TN or Srilanka, the Architecture including some of the ditties shapes and styles are so different :?

podalangai
21st November 2006, 02:59 AM
Can some1 pls elaborate on the Architectural Differences from Various states within the states amongst Tamil Nadu?

Such as if you look at the temples in Maharashtra to a temple in TN or Srilanka, the Architecture including some of the ditties shapes and styles are so different :?

There are some few things in common for both north Indian and south Indian temples. All have a garbagruham and a tower over the garbagruham. In addition, there is usually place to do pradatchinam, and a hall (mandapam) or porch (ardamandapam) for devotees. But beyond this basic agreement, the architecture is completely different. The biggest difference is in the tower over the garbagruham.

North Indian towers

North Indian temples are built in what is called the Nagara style. In this style, the garbagruham has a square layout, above which the tower rises in the shape of a beehive.
The tower's layers start with the base kapota which is usually decorated with carvings. The next layer is the chandrasala or gavaksha window, which is also embedded in a richly decorated layer. From this, the tower itself rises, usually with little ornamentation, until the top, where it is topped with a circular disc - called amalaka, I think it symbolises a crown - over which there is sometimes a kalasha vessel.
Around this main tower there will often be smaller reproductions of it, which cluster together to create a beautiful effect, almost like a fountain in stone.
They also tend to have domes over the mandapam and ardhamandapam, usually several of them. These domes are sometimes spherical in more recent temples (due to Mughal influence), but in older temples they were layered.
Look at this picture of the Somnath Temple (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fb/Somanath_from_the_beach.JPG) for a good example of these features. Note the clusters of smaller towers around the main tower, the domes over the entrance and hall, etc. The Neasden temple in London also uses this style.

South Indian towers

Temples in TN, Sri Lanka, Andhra and many parts of Karnataka don't follow this pattern, and use what is called Dravidian temple architecture (Kerala have a different architecture of their own, especially in north Kerala). In Dravidian temple architecture, the tower is completely different. Rather than being beehive shaped, it is structured like a pyramid. The shrine itself is also not always square. Instead, its shape is dictated by the deity who is being worshipped. For Aranganathar, it is always square, for Natarajar it is usually rectangular, for some other deities it is circular, or octagonal, etc. I don't think they have this tradition in north Indian temples.
The tower consists of storey after storey of small pavilions, each smaller than the previous one. These pavillions are very richly decorated, with intricate carvings, and often an opening analogous to the gavaksha window in the chandrasala of north Indian temples. The tower ends in a narrow throat on top of which is a cylindrical structure. There isn't usually a amalaka or kalasha.
Unlike north Indian temples, the carvings cover the entire tower, and not just the kapota and chandrasala. They are usually so intricate that they completely hide the underlying architecture of the tower. They are usually painted in very fine detail, in bright colours unlike north Indian temples where the tower usually has teh colour of the stone.
In Tamil temples to Narayana, there are sometimes shrines within the vimanam tower which together with the main shrines will present Vishnu in all three poses, standing, seated and reclining. These other shrines are opened to the public during very special festivals (usually once in several years). This is also unique to TN.
In north Indian temples the temple tower is the most prominent bit of the temple. Their gateways are very simple. In south Indian temples, and particularly Tamil temples, we have towering gopurams and very often several of them for each temple (Srirangam has seven successive enclosures, each of which has imposing gopurams). These gopurams dwarf the vimanam over the garbagruham. In addition, the width of the storeys and the other elements have certain specific proportions, which create a particular overall contour.

These are the most obvious differences. There are also others. For example, north Indian temples don't have moolavars and utsavars like many Tamil temples do.

In parts of Karnataka, the temples are built according to a hybrid style. The ancient temples of Halebidu and Belur are examples.

More knowledgeable hubbers may please correct any mistakes I have made.

Raghu
22nd November 2006, 05:18 PM
Podalangai

Thanks 4 the info,
Did not realise that Keral temples are of different architectures

Surya
2nd March 2007, 02:31 AM
[tscii:2434720df1]A[/tscii:2434720df1]rulmigu Prananadeswarar Temple, Thirumangalakudi.

Reputation of the place:

Devotees set to Suriyanar Temple to worship the Sun God should visit this place for relief of adverse effects of the nine planets (Navagrahas). Women are blessed with full marital prosperity (Deerga Sumangali Bagyam), getting the Mangal Sutra from the blessingful hands of Mother Goddess are the glories of the temple.

Relief from planetary problems, best marriage alliances, getting children, relief from enemy fears, relief from theft fears are the boons the devotees achieve by their prayers to the Lord and the Goddess in the temple.

Prayer commitment:

The devotee, seeking relief from various problems, should offer Curd Rice for 11 Sundays continuously on the Vellerukku leaf and partake in the puja proceedings of the temple devotionally. This relieves him/her from all planetary afflictions.

Speciality of the Temple:

Thirumangalakudi is known as Panchamangala Kshetra. The name of the place is Mangalakudi. The Goddess is Mangalambika. The tower is Mangala Vimanam. The Holy Water is Mangala Theertham. The Vinayaka is Mangala Vinayaka. Everything in the temple is Mangala.

Lord Prananadeswara is a Swayambu. (Existing of His own, meaning that no one had made the vigraha, it had just appeared) It is in Thirumangalakudi temple that even the Planets got relieved of their curses. The Lord has three faces representing human, animal and birds own forms, not found in other temple.

Here it is said that Brahma the Creator, Vishnu the Protector, Sage Agasthya, Sun, Akashvani, Mother Earth worshipped the Lord. There are two holy temple lakes here called Chandra theertham and Suriya Theertham. There are two Nataraja Sannidhis here. This was renovated by the KING Kualothunga Chozha in the 5th Century.

History:

Minister Alaivanar was ordered to be beheaded by King Kulothunga in the 11th Century for building a temple from the revenues of the country without obtaining his permission. The minister requested that he be cremated in Thirumangalakudi. His body was brought to the place as wished by him. His wife went to the Mangalambikai temple and sought the grace of the Goddess for getting back her husband. The minister came alive. He went to the temple, embraced the Lord calling him Prananadeswara. As prosperity means a married life till the end (Mangalam) and as it was granted to the woman in distress, the Goddess is known as Mangalambika.