PDA

View Full Version : Ponniyin Selvan-Kalki

Oldposts
12th December 2004, 08:33 AM
Topic started by Priya (@ gateway.gmcc.ab.ca) on Thu Nov 8 12:00:10 .

Hi guys and gals!
I am a great fan of Kalki. I love his Ponniyin Selvan. Plesae share your thoughts about this wonderful book.

Oldposts
Great book. it is still evergreen with readers.one of the great classics of modern tamil literature

Oldposts
Only Kalki could write Ponniyin Selvan because he was truly a "Tamizhin Selvan"

Oldposts
hai
i need an ebook of ponniyin selvan
can help me,to find that one

Oldposts
You can get it on projectmadurai

Oldposts
Ponniyin Selvan is my alltime favourite book by Kalki. I also like his other books such as Nandhipurathu Nayaki. But I read all these when i was in school. I dont remember everything, but some parts are so interesting that I could never forget them. I liked the paintings by Maniam, and Kalki's way of writing, the smooth flow. It was never boring to read the book again and again.
Nice to know that there are lots of fans for Kalki.

Oldposts
Deepa,
Nandhipuraththu Nayaki is not by Kalki. It was written by 'Vikraman' (editor of 'Amudha Surabi' magazine)

Oldposts
Ponniyin selvan is hot favorite me.can any body share ur thoughts abt the character which affected u?

I think Nandhini, Azhaarkadiyan are fictious characters.Any other such characters are there?

Also I have seen Veeranam aeri only through kalki's words.

Oldposts
Murugan:
there is a Yahoo group which discusses PS in
detail...see
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ponniyinselvan/?yguid=4881001 (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ponniyinselvan/?yguid=4881001
)

Oldposts
Kalki Krishnamoothy is still living and will live for ever. He is celeberated as AMARAR just like Rabindranath Tagore and Mahakavi Bharathi. To my judgement Amarar Krishnamoorthy is not second to Shakspeare. Ponniyin selvan is such a great creation because almost all the characters living in his mega novel live in our imagination.
I dont know why these cinema producers never think about making films sellecting stories from the novel. Sexy Love unbelievable fights and belly dances are the only sequences the South Indian cinema businessmen think the Tamil women old women boys and girls would like.Damn sin.

Oldposts
Kalki Krishnamoothy is still living and will live for ever. He is celeberated as AMARAR just like Rabindranath Tagore and Mahakavi Bharathi. To my judgement Amarar Krishnamoorthy is not second to Shakspeare. Ponniyin selvan is such a great creation because almost all the characters living in his mega novel live in our imagination.
I dont know why these cinema producers never think about making films sellecting stories from the novel. Sexy Love unbelievable fights and belly dances are the only sequences the South Indian cinema businessmen think the Tamil women old women boys and girls would like.Damn sin.

Oldposts
I read all the 5 volumes of Ponniyin Selvan at a stretch and completed within 4 weeks. Just can't take my eyes off. But I missed the lively paintings of Maniam Selvan, since i read the downloaded versions from the Net. Can anybody let me know whether these paintings are uploaded somewhere in the net. I would be grateful to them. Please mail me the URL to vksankaran@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance,
Vijay Kumar

Oldposts
Actually, when I finished reading Ponniyin Selvan, I felt, why this novel ended. Can't this continue for anopther 5 volumes. Rathertthan knowing the end, I was more interested in knowing what happened next. The characters were lively. Infact I have fallen in love with the character Kunthavai. I kept reading the portions where Kunthavai, proposes to Vanthiyathevan in the jail and also the last part, where she tells him that she rejected the Pallava Prince's sugsestion of marrying her. Really beautiful Novel. A master piece. Iam wondering, why such novels are not prescribed for the Tamil Syllabus. Such novels should be prescribed for Tamil syllabus, rather than silappathikaaram.

Oldposts
can i get the varthamanan publishers new address in tnagar
pls

Oldposts
[tscii:17e2e26bb4]dumb heads who proprogate reading such juvenile stuff . laughing my heads thinking of how how really low intelligence level creatures must be who read kalki and describe it as if it is the bible in a church reading. [/tscii:17e2e26bb4]

Oldposts
[tscii:bf7743ca29]Ponniyin Selvan - after reading so many times, I was left wondering, who is the hero in this. My God! can anyone write a novel of 5 volumes, but the reader will not have an idea whether Arulmozi Varman or Vandhiya Thevan is the hero. Going by the title it may be Arulmozi but the story goes with Vandiya Thevan. Also, characters like Azwarku Adiyan, Kandamaran, Pinagabani (you can add on ...) are really memorable. In fact, few years back, with my friend in Bangalore, our office collegues were compared with the Characters of P. Selvan. It was great fun. Most of the characters were there. [/tscii:bf7743ca29]

Oldposts
[tscii:cf3d359f24]http://www.iomx.com/online_ebooks.htm (http://www.iomx.com/online_ebooks.htm
)
http://www.iomx.com/download.htm (http://www.iomx.com/download.htm
)
http://www.iomx.com/webmaster.htm (http://www.iomx.com/webmaster.htm
)
http://www.iomx.com/[/tscii:cf3d359f24]

Oldposts
[tscii:30e976a6fe]i am an aredent fan rather a mad of kalkis novels both historical,social and comedy.i am so fortunate to have the collection of ponniyin selvan the one serialises in 1955 with drawings of maniam and the second one with vinu thirs one again reproduction of manian and fourth one also.
i have collectionof his novels and interested in collecting his articles under the pen name of karnatakam[/tscii:30e976a6fe]

Oldposts
[tscii:a22772a6da]ponniyin selvan a wondernovel one gets trabsformed in to the character as the character comes. many a times i got transformed in to vandhiyadevan and arul mozi varmar as well as kundavai.all the characters finding their way in me.and the characters are lively drawn by manaiam,second vinu venkatram,thirs reproduced from manaiam fourth manaim selvan and fifth time by srilnakn artist all are wonderfully but the later ones are just reproduction of the original ones of manaim.the pazuvettariyars both peria and chinna are illustrated by the great artist maniyam so nicely .i have read the all the five parts over 50 times narrations are similar to that of alexander dumas.[/tscii:a22772a6da]

Oldposts
[tscii:032e290abc]ponniyin selvan a wondernovel one gets trabsformed in to the character as the character comes. many a times i got transformed in to vandhiyadevan and arul mozi varmar as well as kundavai.all the characters finding their way in me.and the characters are lively drawn by manaiam,second vinu venkatram,thirs reproduced from manaiam fourth manaim selvan and fifth time by srilnakn artist all are wonderfully but the later ones are just reproduction of the original ones of manaim.the pazuvettariyars both peria and chinna are illustrated by the great artist maniyam so nicely .i have read the all the five parts over 50 times narrations are similar to that of alexander dumas.[/tscii:032e290abc]

Oldposts
[tscii:d27fab1102]Can anyone please let me know if there is any available collection of Maniam Selvan's painting/drawings on the net or for sale?[/tscii:d27fab1102]

Oldposts
[tscii:8ea53ae485]folks! point me to a place (in web) where i can download ponniyin selvan all parts... thx[/tscii:8ea53ae485]

Oldposts
[tscii:2154c0c735]G'Day Kumaran,
Please find the link for the Ponniyin Selvan on the net:

http://www.geocities.com/ponniyinselvan_kalki/index.html (http://www.geocities.com/ponniyinselvan_kalki/index.html
)

Regards,
Aravinthan[/tscii:2154c0c735]

Oldposts
[tscii:a78d7cf527]Hi,
Can any one please let me know where I can buy Ponniyin Selvan all 5 parts with Maniam's or Vinu's Drawings? If any one selling please send me a mail.
Thanks

Regards,
Aravinthan[/tscii:a78d7cf527]

Oldposts
[tscii:b2638c15b5]Hi,
Can any one please let me know where I can buy Ponniyin Selvan all 5 parts with Maniam's or Vinu's Drawings? If any one selling please send me a mail.
Thanks

Regards,
Aravinthan[/tscii:b2638c15b5]

Oldposts
[tscii:9532ea58dd]Hi

i have keept my son name as Ponniyin Selvan all the tamil mans , must keep tamilnames to our baby

and i am form bangalore
my names
karikalavalavan[/tscii:9532ea58dd]

Oldposts
[tscii:db69987626]http://www.valaippoo.blogspot.com/[/tscii:db69987626]

Oldposts
Hi my dear friends,
Ponniyin selvan is a wonderful story. It is one of the feather in the head of our Tamizh Annai. I greatly admire Our friend Vandhia Thevan,Arulmozhi,Kundavai,Karikalan,Azhwarkadian etc.,etc.

It is a great novel. I suggest to the Tamil Film world to take this great novel as a Mega Serial.
Instead of taking "mamiyar" and "marumagal" fighting serials.

If anybody who wants to speared our Tamizh Culture and our rich heritage, they have to take Ponniyin Selvan,Sivagamiyin Sabatham and Parthiban Kanavu as a Serial.
Thanks and Regards

Oldposts
GGood that the film industry has spared PS and hasn't taken any films on that. Whoever had read it, have had gr8 imagination of the novel and whoever sees it without reading the novel will never read the novel. Also we have some lively imaginations of all the characters. Why should we want to disturb them.

"KaNNil kkatchi thOndrivittaal karpanai maRainthu vidum
kaNNil thOndraa kkatchiyil thaan kaRpanai vaLarnthuvidum"

In fact I am already in love with Kunthavai. So I don't want to see any of the present actresses to do that role and tarnish the imaginatery ffigure I have drawn of her.

Oldposts
[tscii:b57b9f0641]Hi Vijay, I strongly agree with you, better not the film industry ruin the purity of the novel. [/tscii:b57b9f0641]

Oldposts
[tscii:378b9f6bc9]hi guys, It's one the greatest novels i'hv ever read. we tamils should be very proud for our ancient culture dipicted beautifully by Thru Kalki.Vanthia devan, Arulmolzhi vermar, Adithya Karikalan, Kundavai,Ponkulalai,and offcourse Nandani what great characters and the beatuy for Tamilnadu described by thee author the flowing rivers the prety maidens the great warriors the customs which were followed, makes you feel that we should have lived in that period rather than live today[/tscii:378b9f6bc9]

Oldposts
[tscii:547ea9341e]every one who read the ponniyin selvan will be addicted to the novel. no wonder the film personalities trying to picturise the story. From M.G.R to kamal every one tried making the film. But its their ego which prevented them doing the film. they have confusion chosing the role whether to take vanthiyathevan who comes all along the story or the hero arulmozhivarmar.
anyhow as vijay said if it is made into a film the all our imaginations will be ruined.[/tscii:547ea9341e]

Oldposts
[tscii:594b3368be]En einya nanbargale
Ponniyin selvan 5 paguthigalum ennakku vandum. entha vilasatthil ulladhu enbathai theyriya paduthinal migavum nallathu.

Nandhini character ondru mattum thaan namadhu tamil kalacharathai ellaam ulagukku theriya padutthum

ungal eniya Nanban
Loganathan T[/tscii:594b3368be]

Oldposts
[tscii:d6ad8254f8]u can only feel the story and not describe about it can read it anynumber of times and from anywhere and still ur interest won't fall down u just don't read a novel actually u live it and all the songs quoted also stay in ur memory foreg. kandein kandein kandein kannukiniyanai kandein. etc., u come across a variety of characters and yet each one of them are important and cotribute to the story in their own way u can just go on saying things but the best way to comment over it is just read it once more or introduce it to a new person who haven't read it will be a good experience.[/tscii:d6ad8254f8]

Oldposts
[tscii:b6e90f8769]Oh well what words can do justice to Ponniyin Selvan ? I read the first three parts in physical format and the last two parts in electronic format....None of todays english novels can come anywhere near this master piece....
[/tscii:b6e90f8769]

Oldposts
[tscii:19f2c7f86e]Hello friends,

Really I am very happy that these much fans are there to Ponniyin Selvan (here after we may call as "PS").
I have read three times the PS from my childhood days in Kalki weekly cuttings where we can feel the character on us by Maniam selvam drawings of each and every part. So the good way of making this book is through Kalki weekly, if it is running now.
And also I would like to tell that "If anybody want to feel the days of Rajaraja Cholan ("RC"), you have to go once Thanjavur Big temple and Palace.
I use to go regularly there whenever I visited to native. Yes, Thanjavur is my native and am proud of it.
Have a visit to Big temple at the morning time which is good time to feel the great architecture of RC and his contemporarians and have ride to Palace at evening time. The present palace is actually not a RC's one, it is Maratia king's ("MK"). I heard that RCs palace was located near Srinivasapuram area behind to Big temple. Recently somebody has found one great pillar built 1000 years ago while digging there for house construction. Come to present palace, here the vibration, lighting and smell which I felt of by the buildings and things is really carrying me to the RC's days. The same vibrations might have pesent in the RC's days. Becaue this present palace was built in the same sand of RC's 300 to 400 years ago by MKs. These feelings I had from my childhood days whenever I visted the Palace with my grandpa. So please have a ride to Thanjavur to fulfill the PS fan.
Thanks to share my thoughts.

Rajesh.

[/tscii:19f2c7f86e]

Oldposts
[tscii:a51b479411]A damn good book that will take you to the ancient times and make you see all the events with your own eyes. I enjoyed it very much. Im glad to know that there is an English version of this great work. Oooopphhhewww...... no words to say.......[/tscii:a51b479411]

Oldposts
[tscii:8096ed0858]Dear Friends,

really iam very happy, to see this website, i many thanks to priya for this web site, what a great author, what a great story superb characters, i like all characters even vaidhiyar maghan, also support a important character. nandhini, pazhuvatharayar, great, so please tell all of ur freinds to read this book, because this is one of our historical evidence.
thank u for given this chance.
Vandhiyadevan Ninaivudhan
endrum anbudhan
santhosh kumar.[/tscii:8096ed0858]

Oldposts
[tscii:7b1b03a21b]hi friends
gr8 to find that there are so many ppl who liked the novel.i too,have read the novel numerous times,since my child hood days.but i have one query in my mind ,for which unfortunately,i cudnt find any answer in the novel.who really is the father of nandhini?kalki ,himself has not answered this question clearly..In one part he says she is the daughter of the pandia king whom she tried to save.Then in some another place he says she was born to another guy whom he refers as karunthiraman,who saved her from the sea.
Can someone throw some light on this...
Arun[/tscii:7b1b03a21b]

Oldposts
[tscii:f9fac0e98c]hai can u tell me how to make it legible and readable i visited this site but was not able to understand the script in it pls help
http://www.bindu.8m.net/whats_new.html (http://www.bindu.8m.net/whats_new.html
)
pls mail me back [/tscii:f9fac0e98c]

Oldposts
[tscii:7e3b69fd55]hai can u tell me how to make it legible and readable i visited this site but was not able to understand the script in it pls help
http://www.bindu.8m.net/whats_new.html (http://www.bindu.8m.net/whats_new.html
)
pls mail me back [/tscii:7e3b69fd55]

Oldposts
[tscii:31a723ecc4]Thanks priya for this site. reading PS is an experience in itself. One never reads it actually one lives with it. I ve lived with vandiyathevan, poonguzhali, aazhvarkkadiyaan so many times. Loves to read it again and again. recently Kalki had issued at nominal cost. I bought it and will keep them with me forever. An historcal novel told in such a social way is something beyond imagination. Pity that Kamalhassan could not make a movie of it. I wish he does it and v can see the characters in real also. But one thing, Kamal should not take the part of vandhiyatevan, for he has become too old for it. [/tscii:31a723ecc4]

Oldposts
[tscii:0bc83e145d]I was seven or eight years old when i first read ponniyin selvan. u ppl may not beleive i read that book for abt hundreds of time and still i do. I fell in love with all the charectors, each and everyone and this books takes me to a world which belongs only to me ( Hope the same thing happened to every reader). I had a hidding place near my home(a mango tree) where i used to read.[/tscii:0bc83e145d]

Oldposts
[tscii:67f8f601c0]Nanbargale,

Ponniyin selvanai pattri yenaku theriyapatuthungal.[/tscii:67f8f601c0]

Oldposts
[tscii:ef62b3a5fd]is there a soft copy which i can read?[/tscii:ef62b3a5fd]

Oldposts
[tscii:d0106b0ce1]Dear Friends,

I have read Ponniyin Selvan many times over. I do not know any one who has read it only once. I know of at least two persons to whom Ponniyin Selvan was read aloud (because they could not read Tamil) who later learnt Tamil script so that they could and did read the book and savour it entirely by themselves. It is not uncommon that as one is reading the book, many of the characters appear in one's dreams! Is there an exception ?

Ponniyin Selvan is not a novel. It is an epic!

Nandakumar[/tscii:d0106b0ce1]

Oldposts
[tscii:e1a82ff989]ah ponniyin selvan! it is like living in the old age. now i am 50 yrs old and i read ponniyin selvan twice. i still remember almost all the characters. the brave vandhiyathevan, the handsome arulmozhi, fragile vaanathi, brave old periya pazhuvettaraiyar, his brother chinna pazhuvettaraiyar @ kaalaanthaga kandar, the royal mother chembian maadevi, the unpredictable aditya karikalan, mysterious nandhini, soft but strong kundavai nachiar, poonguzhali, her father thyaga vidangakkaraiyar, the warrior vaishnavite azhvaarkadiyan nambi, senthan amudhan, kanda maaran.., oh it is a long list. even places like kodikkarai and kuzhagar koil, uraiyur are immemorable. i just love ponniyin selvan and am a fan of kalki. i am happy that there are friends with whom i can share my feelings about the great epic.[/tscii:e1a82ff989]

Oldposts
[tscii:179f436644]Dear Friends,

Now I am reading the Third volume of Ponniyin Selvan. I really enjoyed particularly portion, Vandiya Thevan, Thevaraalan & Manthiravathi travelling from Ceylon to Kodiakarai.[/tscii:179f436644]

Oldposts
[tscii:47a6d9677f]Ponniyin Selvan, is a asset for Tamil. And there needs to be soem activity to spread this book and story.

This is make Tamils to understand and appreciate our history.

Rajendra Cholan!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thamizhsamraajyam/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thamizhsamraajyam/
)[/tscii:47a6d9677f]

Oldposts
[tscii:579be5adbf]Ponniyin Selvan, is a asset for Tamil. And there needs to be soem activity to spread this book and story.

This is make Tamils to understand and appreciate our history.

Rajendra Cholan!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thamizhsamraajyam/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thamizhsamraajyam/
)[/tscii:579be5adbf]

Oldposts
[tscii:0dad45f794]Hi!! Iv got to read only the english version and its simply amazin. The suspense seriously killed me. Its must better than any english book Iv read.[/tscii:0dad45f794]

Oldposts
[tscii:d652f6cbb6]Hai All i have Completed 4 vols of Ponniyin Selven. I had Enjoyed a lot. Moreover i start Reading novels for the first time starting from this Ponniyin Selvan.[/tscii:d652f6cbb6]

Oldposts
[tscii:0521d7a024]It is a masterpiece in Tamil Literature and a handbook for historians. I strongly believe that every individual who can read Tamil should have read this book. Are there any e-version of the book available?!!![/tscii:0521d7a024]

Oldposts
[tscii:33923d1a80]Hi Guys and Gals
I too had red that everlasting
fantastic, suspense novel
I bet there will be no stories
superior or equal to PS in future / Presence
It is very difficult for me to come back to real
life after reading that novel..
Ok guys did any of u know the website which
has Sandilyan's Kadal Pura in PDF Format
Plz let me know [/tscii:33923d1a80]

Oldposts
[tscii:57b826e963]finally i found some people who love Ponniyin selvan as much as i do.i cannot tell u how crazy i am about this story.Every charecter is evergreen especially the incredibly swash buckling vandhiyathevan and the cool and clever aazhvaarkadiyan nambi.the best thing about kalki is the lovely sense of humour in the entire book,something u normally dont expect from historicals.A must read for all Tamils and everyone else too.Ponniyin selven ROCKS!!!![/tscii:57b826e963]

Oldposts
[tscii:9c5e0a29ba]Is there any site where I can read this online????[/tscii:9c5e0a29ba]

Oldposts
[tscii:5327db3241]hi
i luv ponniyin selvan and i have read it 17 times. i read it for the first time when i was 12 now iam 26. every time i read it the more i like it. i have my own copy - pages from kalki which i saved and binded to a book. i wish i cud time travel and meet all of them. i cud imagine ponkuzhali singing "alai kadalum oiynthiruka" and vandiyathevan and kundavai talking in the the palace garden and arunmozhi planning his future in nagapatinam.
hatsoff to kalki
-hari [/tscii:5327db3241]

Oldposts
[tscii:9e87e04cbb]hi
i luv ponniyin selvan and i have read it 17 times. i read it for the first time when i was 12 now iam 26. every time i read it the more i like it. i have my own copy - pages from kalki which i saved and binded to a book. i wish i cud time travel and meet all of them. i cud imagine ponkuzhali singing "alai kadalum oiynthiruka" and vandiyathevan and kundavai talking in the the palace garden and arunmozhi planning his future in nagapatinam.
hatsoff to kalki
-K.hari[/tscii:9e87e04cbb]

Oldposts
[tscii:12fcfd6a9f]You can read Ponniyin selvan from the below link.bonus - Parthiban Kanavu

http://www.geocities.com/ponniyinselvan_kalki/index.html (http://www.geocities.com/ponniyinselvan_kalki/index.html
)

http://www.geocities.com/ponniyinselvan_kalki/parthiban-kanavu/chapters.html[/tscii:12fcfd6a9f]

Oldposts
[tscii:ec264ae896]HI,
LIKE ALL OF YOU, ME TOO A FAN OF PONNIYIN SELVAN WITH TO CHAT AND EXCHANGE VIEWS - PRASAD BABU S S
MY MAIL ID IS sspbu@yahoo.com. [/tscii:ec264ae896]

Oldposts
[tscii:7c28ae813e]Hi guys I already posted a response in this site.
You can read full ponniyin selvan story in
PDF Format in www.projectmadurai.org
Enjoy.....About PS, no other stories can be compared to it. Hats off to Rajarajan and Kalki [/tscii:7c28ae813e]

Oldposts
[tscii:564197783c]Buy Ponniyin selvan online

at

WWW.UDUMALAI.COM[/tscii:564197783c]
<a name="last"></a>

srsenthil
22nd December 2004, 04:47 AM
Hello Saravana kumar,
You can find it in www.geocities.com/ponniyinselvan_kalki/links.html
Thanks
Senthil

rajarathish
9th January 2005, 12:01 PM
hi friends,

did any of u know the kadal pura website in pdf format.plz mail to rajarathish@yahoo.co.in

sruthi
27th February 2005, 11:03 AM
Could you please the post the Id you've been reading Ponniyin Selvan?
Thanks in advance,
Sruthi.

I read all the 5 volumes of Ponniyin Selvan at a stretch and completed within 4 weeks. Just can't take my eyes off. But I missed the lively paintings of Maniam Selvan, since i read the downloaded versions from the Net. Can anybody let me know whether these paintings are uploaded somewhere in the net. I would be grateful to them. Please mail me the URL to vksankaran@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance,
Vijay Kumar

binram_2000
3rd November 2005, 09:24 PM
I don't think you need a seperate id for reading the novel. Go to http://www.geocities.com/ponniyinselvan_kalki/ponniyin-selvan/chapters.html and if required download and install the font. That's it.

Rgds
Bindu

rami
21st March 2006, 01:22 PM
Ponniyin Selvan was one of the best books I have ever read. Ususally I dont read historic novels.. That too a book with 5 parts talking about cholas etc,, I cud never think of me being interested in Ponniyin Selvan

But that was till Jan 2006

I accidentally got my hands on the "Ponniyin Selvan" Part 1... and lo..
I cud not put that book down till i finished all 5 parts... I got dreams of Vanthiyathevan, Arul mozhi varman, Athitha Karikalan, Kundavai, Nandini........

I finished all the books before Jan 20.. It has a good mixture of all essential elements of a good book.... If u r missing Ponniyin Selvan u r missing something in my life..

bingleguy
21st March 2006, 02:36 PM
Good to hear that Rami !

Can u tell me more about that book ??? Guess that was written by Kalki !

Arthi
22nd March 2006, 08:59 AM
Hi RAMI,
I also got a chance to read PONNIYIN SELVAN in KALKI weekly.After reading KALKI's writings, I got interested in historical novels
His writings was simply superb.I liked VANDHIYA THEVAN Character, obviously KUNDHAVAI(What a intelligent women she was !!!), PONNI, Padagotti, VANI.After reading this novel, Whenever I crossed Tanjore BIG TEMPLE,I used to recollect PONNIYIN SELVAN

It is a great novel indeed

rami
22nd March 2006, 11:10 AM
Arthi as u said.. I had little interst in history, but after reading the novel, I could remind myself various lessons of history studied long before... Also when I went to Kumbakonam recently .. I tried a lot to visit Thanjavur also. But alas no time.. I am really waiting for a chance to visit Thanjavur and view the architecture there///

Arthi
22nd March 2006, 12:41 PM
Hi RAMI

During that time I was studying in Tanjore .We used to buy KALKI Magazine, Tthis Novel was publishing weekly.
At that time I used to go to school via Tanjore Palace, sarawathy mahal ... I used to compare KALKI's writings then & there...

Really a great work
Have u read anyother KALKI's writings

S.Balaji
22nd March 2006, 12:58 PM
Dear All...

Ponniyin selvan was written by Kalki Krishnamurthy

His first historical novel was Sivakamiyin sabadham ...its about Pallavas and Chalukyas
Indeed a splendid write up about the 5th century

This was followed by Paarthiban kanavu...and this talks about the interim cholas after Karikalan and before Vijayalaya cholan
its about a small king Parthiban whose capital was Uraiyur ( close to Thanjavur and the name is still intact ) he was a contemprory of Mahendra Pallava and Narasimha pallava

The third is Ponniyin selvan
The story relates to the period when Raja raja chola was young and the main theme is about the supreme sacrifice that he makes by offering the throne to his uncle Madhurandhagan despite huge public support for him (ofcourse later he became the king after Madhurandhagan died )

One can write a big essay about Ponniyin selvan as its one of the best stories we have come across in tamil and this covers the 9th and 10th century period

S.Balaji
22nd March 2006, 01:01 PM
Infact Kamal had plans to make a movie on Ponniyin selvan but could not make it...It remains one of his dreams

Arthi
22nd March 2006, 01:12 PM
His otherwork includes AMARADHARA, and 1 more social novel I forgot the name

S.Balaji
22nd March 2006, 02:01 PM
Aarthi

Are you referring to Alai Osai ??

Yes its also from Kalki only

Arthi
22nd March 2006, 02:48 PM
No, I Am referring to some other novel.
am not getting the name, will recollect & tell

swathy
22nd March 2006, 03:24 PM
I have read

Sivagami sabatham
parthiban kanavu
ponniyin selvan
alai osai

can anyone tell me other interesting kalki novels

stranger
29th March 2006, 01:58 AM
The best part of ponniyan selvan is the beautiful but dangerous nandhini!

Nobody understood her, like whom she really loved in her heart. Or everything is just business for her?! :roll:

kalki beuatifully used that character to show how weak the men really are! :cool:

kannannn
29th March 2006, 02:36 AM
The best part of ponniyan selvan is the beautiful but dangerous nandhini!

Nobody understood her, like whom she really loved in her heart. Or everything is just business for her?! :roll:

kalki beuatifully used that character to show how weak the men really are! :cool:

I remember a particular situation in the novel, where this aspect is beautifully described. Nandhini, carried in a palanquin arrives at the scene of verbal spat between Vandhiyadevan and some guards. As she moves the screens of the palanquin aside Vandhiyadevan gets a glimpse of her for the first time. Her beauty brings back an incident from his childhood: he would be walking in the woods when he comes across a cobra with it's hood up. Even as he realises that the cobra is extremely poisonous and dangerous, he is mesmerised by its beauty. Now, on seeing Nandhini he gets the same feeling: beautiful, yet dangerous.

S.Balaji
29th March 2006, 12:34 PM
Stranger

In the final stages, Kuntavai will share with Vandhiya devan , her assessment of Nandini wherein she will say that Nandini though was a very tough and poisonous character, she had a soft corner for Vandhiya devan ...

for which he will counter by saying that her actual plans were to make him the scape goat for Aditya karikalan's killing....and that was her objective....

At the end it was poetic justice rendered by Kalki as through the voice of Kunthavai ( considered to be the arch rival ) admiring the qualities of Nandini ....

she will say that Nandini after all comes from veera Pandiyar kulam and she proved her royal blood by seeking revenge over Aditya karikalan

IMO, the most pitiable character was Manimekalai ...absolutely innocent ...... had true love over Vandhiadevan .....

the final pages will be tearful.... as Kalki shows Vandhiyadevan in tears when he holds the dead body of Manimekalai...

Indeed a great novel...

swathy
29th March 2006, 01:01 PM
The story starts and ends with vandhiyathevan

Rajaraja chozhan introduction scene was classic.

I was upset whole day on reading karikala chozha's death.

Arthi
29th March 2006, 02:06 PM
swathy.. 1 more novel from Kalki "Amaradhara" read it :)

swathy
29th March 2006, 02:08 PM
thanks arthi

rami
29th March 2006, 04:01 PM
The way the story is narrated .... There is really no equal.. Each and every character is described in detail... the reader will be able to picturize the person and also feel the persons nature...

Most of the characters that in the story are penned very well.
Vanthiyathevan :D
Kundavai :)
Poonguzhali :D
Aazhvarkadiyan :lol:
Nandini :wink:
Aditha Karikalan :?
Arul mozhi varman :)
Vanathi
Sembian Mathevi
Periya & Chinna Pazhuvettaraiyar :D
Sundara chozhan
Sendhan Amudan
Mandakini
Kanda maran
Manimegalai
Ravidasan :twisted: :twisted:

Kalki did lots of research before writing Ponniyin Selvan. The death of Aditya karikaalan was a mystery. Historians to this day don't know what was the cause of his death. The only clue is an inscription which reads,
"Vaanulagaip paarkkum Aasaiyile Adiththan Asthamanam Adainthaan.
Ulagai Kali Enum Kaarirul Soozhnthathu".

He could have died in a desease.
The book on Chola sculptures speculates that Madurantakan conspired to kill him. Kalki had portrayed him as a noble person (Chendan Amudan). Kalki left the scene of Aditya Karikaalan's death in a mysterious fashion without indicating who killed him.
Any guesses regarding that ?

swathy
29th March 2006, 04:13 PM
I read somewhere that some brahmins killed. it was the end of that particular issue and why how when was published in the next issue. sorry I didn't read that :cry:

S.Balaji
29th March 2006, 06:15 PM
Rami

I guess Aditya karikalan must have committed suicide by applying the royal sword of Pandyan ...

Why I am saying this ?

because, if you carefully read the previous pages, Kalki shows Aditya karikalan taking the sword away from Nandini ..... CUT

When Periya pazuvettaraiyar sees Karikalan fallen down , he first sights the sword deep inside his body...

Also, the final words of Karikalan....

ENDHA NANDINI...YEN PRAYACHITHAM....and then there will be a pause .......

IMO, Aditya himself would have committed suicide....

We also had debated with our brothers, sisters, friends for looooooong before coming to this conclusion !

S.Balaji
29th March 2006, 06:19 PM
Infact, we were so crazy those days that we used to imagine if this actor had played this character, how he would have done etc etc....

I dont know Kamal could not pursue further on this

S.Balaji
29th March 2006, 06:21 PM
Kalki's sense of humour was reflected through ALWARKADIYAAN character....

a character which one will love to read his tantrums !

He also mentions briefly about Anbil Anirudha Bramma rayar ..... It seems this character actually was a minister of Sundara cholan as per proven history

sv
1st April 2006, 03:48 AM
I am also a fan of kalki. I read ponniying selvan twice i will rate it the best among all his novels. The ones i read and liked are sivagamiyin sabatham, parthiban kanavu; contemporary - thiyaga boomi. It was also very good.

stranger
1st April 2006, 04:40 AM
Good to know that u r a kalki fan, S v! :D

stranger
1st April 2006, 04:44 AM
* Adiththa karikaalan (veerapandian thalai gondavan)

* Vanthia Dhevan

* Kantha maaRan

* PaarthibEndhra pallavan were all veeraadhi veerargaL!

But when they meet nandhini, she will rule them all! :lol:

Lakshmi JM
1st April 2006, 02:20 PM
Kalki will be at his best when he compares the beauty of Nandini and Kuntavai when they meet eye to eye in Thanjavur !

Shakthiprabha.
3rd April 2006, 03:22 PM
ITS THE

BEST BOOK ive ever read

or would ever read

I LOVED, LIVED, FANTASISED THE CHARACTER

NANDINI

stranger
4th April 2006, 12:30 AM
When it comes to romance, I would rate chANdilyan much higher than that of kalki. However, in ponniyin selvan, the first meeting of vandhiya thevan and kundhavai in kudanthai jothidar home was hilarious!

After going through vaanadhi's bright future, vaanadhi would ask, which emperor or King is going to come to marry akkA (Kundhavai)?

Kudanthai jOthidar will say, "antha veeraadhiveerar vanthu koNdE irukkIraar thaayE"

As soon as he says that, there will be a noise in the entrance of the house. Vanthiya thevan will not be allowed to enter the jOdhidar house without "proper explanation". He would not listen, he will enter by force.

As soon as he enters the inner room where these two beautiful women and the jOthidar were discussing, he will be really embarrassed as he himself will feel that he was indeed rude.

I think then he will go and wait outside with an apology,

While Kundhavai is leaving, he would formally apologize to her for his misbehavior. But Kundhavai will not acknowledge that properly and she will just "give a look with the smile" which will sound so sarcastic to him.

He will get angry and say,

kudanthai (thanjai?) nagaraththu peNgaLukkum mariyaathaikkum romba thooram polirukku! :roll:!

It was a beautiful first meeting between the Hero and the heroine! :clap:

selvakumar
4th April 2006, 01:53 PM
When it comes to romance, I would rate chANdilyan much higher than that of kalki.

Exactly !

When it comes to Romance, I would definitly put Chandilyan ahead of Kalki. But IMHO, The way Kalki handles love is like

"you won't feel as if you are dealing with a storm. IT will be like a soft, pleasant air (to be short - THENDRAL)"

சிவகாமியின் நாட்டியக்கலை வளர்ச்சியிலே கூட அவருக்குச் சிரத்தை குறைந்துவிட்டது. இது சிவகாமிக்கும் சௌகரியமாகவே இருந்தது. ஏனெனில் அவளுடைய வாழ்க்கையாகிய வானத்திலே ஜகஜ்ஜோதியாக உதயமாகி அவளுடைய இதயத் தாமரையை மலரச் செய்திருந்த பிரேம சூரியனைப் பாடிப் பரவி வாழ்த்தி வணங்குவதற்கே அவளுக்குக் காலம் போதாமலிருந்தது. உலகத்தில் இதுகாறும் யாரும் கண்டும் கேட்டுமறியாத அதிசயக் காதற் செல்வம் தனக்குக் கிட்டியிருப்பதாக எண்ணிய சிவகாமி அந்தக் காதலையும் காதலனையும் பற்றிச் சிந்திப்பதிலும், மனோராஜ்யம் செய்வதிலும் வருங்காலத்தைப் பற்றிய ஆகாசக் கோட்டைகள் கட்டுவதிலும் எல்லையற்ற இன்பத்தை அடைந்து வந்தாள். அந்த மனோராஜ்ய வாழ்க்கையிலேதான் எத்தனை ஆனந்தம்! எத்தனை ஏமாற்றம்! கூடிக் குலாவும் நேரம் எவ்வளவு! சொல்லம்புகளினால் துன்புறுத்தல் எவ்வளவு? அந்த எட்டு மாதத்து மனோராஜ்ய வாழ்விலே எத்தனையோ யுக யுகாந்திரங்களில் அனுபவிக்க வேண்டிய சோகச் சாயை படர்ந்த ஆனந்தங்களையும் இன்ப ரேகை கலந்த வேதனைகளையும் சிவகாமி அனுபவித்து விட்டாள் என்றே சொல்ல வேண்டும்.

---------------------------------------

A Narration during the Birthday of SivaGaami. The way she is suffering with her expectations on Narasimmar.

"வேண்டாம், வேண்டாம்! உடனே எல்லாவற்றையும் வெளியே கொண்டு போங்கள். உங்கள் பல்லவ குமாரரிடம், 'சிவகாமி ஒரு காலத்தில் பூ என்றால் பிராணனாயிருந்ததுண்டு, ஆனால், ஏதோ ஒரு காரணத்தினால் இப்போது பூவைக் கண்டால் பிடிப்பதேயில்லையாம்!' என்று தெரியப்படுத்துங்கள்... ஆமாம்; இதையெல்லாம் எதற்காக இப்போது பல்லவ குமாரர் அனுப்பினாராம்?"

"இன்றைக்குத் தங்களுடைய பிறந்த தினம் என்பதற்காக அனுப்பியுள்ளார், அம்மணி!"

"அப்படியா? மிகவும் சந்தோஷம் இந்த ஏழைச் சிற்பி மகளின் பிறந்த தினத்தைக் குமார சக்கரவர்த்தி நினைவு வைத்துக் கொண்டிருப்பது பற்றி நிரம்பச் சந்தோஷம். ஆனால், அவருடைய ஞாபக சக்தியில் ஏதோ கோளாறு ஏற்பட்டிருக்க வேண்டும். நீங்கள் இந்தப் பொருள்களையெல்லாம் எடுத்துக் கொண்டு போய் 'இன்று சிவகாமியின் பிறந்த நாள் இல்லை' என்று சொல்லி விடுங்கள். 'சிவகாமி என்கிற பெண் பூமியில் பிறக்கவே இல்லை' என்று பல்லவ குமாரரிடம் சொல்லிவிடுங்கள்!"

whereas,

Chandilyan's style of handling Romance is a bit different. He portrays them in a realistic way (by adding enough style and narration in explaining the sequence of events)

He rather puts aggressiveness his style of narration sometimes. Sometimes, I feel as if he is concentrating more on love. :P

selvakumar
4th April 2006, 02:33 PM
Rami,
Should we have to restrict ourselves in discussing only abt PS or it can be extended to others works of KALKI too? :roll:

selvakumar
4th April 2006, 02:44 PM
Stranger, Let me post the exact Tamil Version here

"அம்மா! இளைய பிராட்டிக்கு எல்லாம் சொல்லியிருக்கிறேன். புதிதாக என்ன சொல்ல வேண்டும்?"

"அக்காவை மணந்து கொள்ளப் போகும் வீராதி வீரர்..."

"அசகாய சூரர்" என்று குந்தவை குறுக்கிட்டுச் சொன்னாள்.

"சந்தேகம் என்ன? மகா பராக்கிரமசாலியான இராஜகுமாரர்..."

"முப்பத்திரண்டு சாமுத்ரிகா லட்சணமும் பொருந்தியவர்; புத்தியில் பிரகஸ்பதி; வித்தையில் சரஸ்வதி; அழகிலே மன்மதன்; ஆற்றலில் அர்ஜுனன்!"

"இளைய பிராட்டிக்கு ஏற்ற அந்த ஸுகுமாரரான இராஜகுமாரர் எங்கிருந்து எப்போது வருவார்."

"வருகிறார், தாயே! வருகிறார்! கட்டாயம் வரப்போகிறார் அதி சீக்கிரத்திலேயே வருவார்."

"எப்படி வருவார்? குதிரை மேலே வருவாரா? ரதத்தில் ஏறி வருவாரா? யானைமேல் வருவாரா? கால் நடையாக வருவாரா? அல்லது நேரே ஆகாசத்திலிருந்து கூரையைப் பொத்துக் கொண்டு வந்து குதிப்பாரா!" என்று குந்தவை தேவி கேலியாகக் கேட்டாள்.

வீட்டு வாசலில் சிறிது ஒதுங்கி நின்ற வந்தியத்தேவன், பெண்மணிகளைப் பார்த்ததும், "மன்னிக்கவேண்டும். உள்ளே பெண்கள் இருக்கிறார்கள் என்று இந்தப் புத்திசாலி சொல்லவில்லை. ஆகையினால்தான் அப்படி அவசரமாக வந்துவிட்டேன்! அதற்காக மன்னிக்க வேண்டும்!" என்று உரத்த குரலில் சொன்னான்.

குந்தவை மலர்ந்த முகத்துடன் குறும்பும் கேலியும் மிடுக்கும் ததும்பிய கண்களினால் வந்தியத்தேவனை ஒரு தடவை ஏறிட்டுப் பார்த்தாள். ஒரு வார்த்தையும் மறுமொழி சொல்லவில்லை. வானதியை ஒரு கையினால் பிடித்து இழுத்துக் கொண்டு ரதம் நின்ற ஆலமரத்தடியை நோக்கிச் சென்றாள்.

"குடந்தை நகரத்துப் பெண்களுக்கு மரியாதையே தெரியாது போலிருக்கிறது. ஏதடா ஒரு மனிதன் வலிய வந்து பேசுகிறானே என்பதற்காகவாவது திரும்பிப் பார்த்து ஒரு வார்த்தை பதில் சொல்லக் கூடாதோ?" என்று வந்தியத்தேவன் இரைந்து கூறியது அவர்கள் காதில் விழுந்தது.

----------------

I think you were referring to this scene only. :roll:

stranger
4th April 2006, 09:02 PM
selva!

Thanks for giving a better original picture.

Mine was just rusty old memories despite the fact that we have downloaded the web-version of P S and have web-copy with us! :D

selvakumar
4th April 2006, 09:06 PM
selva!

Thanks for giving a better original picture.

Mine was just rusty old memories despite the fact that we have downloaded the web-version of P S and have web-copy with us! :D

oh.. That's great Stranger ! Good Memory :D

ACtually, I bought the entire WORKS OF KALKI (CD FORMAT) just a few weeks back..

It has all the WORKS OF KALKI :D

The price is very minimal .. Just RS.199/-.. Reading PS only (Again :P )

Infact, Kalvanin Kaadhali is one work which I missed out. Allocating my time for that too.. :P

kannannn
4th April 2006, 11:12 PM
ACtually, I bought the entire WORKS OF KALKI (CD FORMAT) just a few weeks back..

It has all the WORKS OF KALKI :D
Selva, don't you find reading on the PC tiring? I tried it but have now decided to order a copy of 'Ponniyin Selvan' on the net for third reading. Interestingly, the offers online are quite cheap.

Reading PS only (Again :P )
I am reading 'Sivagamiyin Sabatham' now :D . Next in line is 'Parthiban Kanavu'. I notice that Kalki follows a particular style in introducing his characters, that make you either like them or despise them immediately. Is it just me, or do others too feel it?

selvakumar
5th April 2006, 09:33 AM
Kannann,
I do find reading on a PC tiring. But no other go. If we are reading a single book, (let's say PS), then we will prefer to read it in paper than in the monitor. But when it comes to reading the complete works of KALKI (Novels, Short Stories, Essays etc), then obviously we have to adjust with the screen. (even though it won't give you the feel of reading in paper.

Infact I started reading Paarthiban Kanavu first. Then Sivagaamin Sabatham. When I read PK first, I wasn't able to understand some of the reference to SS. After having read SS, I read PK once again. :P
Both in paper. But PoNNiyin Selvan (I read a few parts in the book). couldn't get the rest in my hometown. As a final solution, I bought this CD. It has all the works of KALKI. So, Having great time reading the CD :P

I agree with you. As far as introducing the characters is concerned, KALKI throws a light on the nature of the character and how it would be in the near future. The introduction of BUDDHA PIKSHU in SS itself is a prime example for it.

The narration is here:
சிவகாமியின் சபதம்
முதல் பாகம் : பரஞ்சோதி யாத்திரை
ஆறாம் அத்தியாயம் - மர்மக் கயிறு
-----------------------------------
புத்த சந்நியாசி அவனுக்கு அருகில் வந்து நின்று உற்றுப் பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்தார். அவருடைய முகத்தோற்றம் அவனுக்கு அச்சத்தை அளித்தது. அதைக் காட்டிலும் அவர் கையில் வாலைப் பிடித்துத் தலைகீழாகத் தொங்கவிட்டுக் கொண்டிருந்த பாம்பு அதிக அருவருப்பையும் பயங்கரத்தையும் அளித்தது.

சிவகாமியின் சபதம்
முதல் பாகம் : பரஞ்சோதி யாத்திரை
பத்தாம் அத்தியாயம் - கண்கட்டு மாயம்
மற்றும் ஒரு பயங்கரக் கனவு! நாகநந்தியடிகள் வந்து அவன் பக்கத்தில் நின்று அவனுடைய முகத்தை உற்றுப் பார்க்கிறார். அப்படி பார்த்துக்கொண்டிருக்கும்போதே அவருடைய முகமானது படமெடுத்தாடும் பாம்பின் முகமாக மாறுகிறது! அந்தப் பாம்பு அதனுடைய மெல்லிய பிளவுபட்ட நாவை நீட்டி அவனுடைய முகத்தைத் தீண்ட வருகிறது!

From these narrations, We can get a glimpse of the character of NagaNadhi. - A person who can emit Venom at any time. :P

Truly, KALKI has his own style here.

rami
5th April 2006, 12:11 PM
Rami,
Should we have to restrict ourselves in discussing only abt PS or it can be extended to others works of KALKI too? :roll:

I started this thread to know the views of hubbers abt PS. But if it covers all Kalki works.. That will make this thread more interesting...

There are many around who dont realize the actual feel of PS.. I wanted to spread a word abt PS. Those who know Tamil and still havent read it... U r really missing something gr8 ...

selvakumar
5th April 2006, 12:50 PM
well.. I am receiving many queires from the hubbers on reading Ponniyan Selvan Online.

Not only PS.. Hubbers can read the ENTIRE WORKS OF KALKI ONLINE (Including short stories, Novels, Essays etc) here.

www.chennainetwork.com

But the person who maintains this site, is also selling the works in the CD. The CD price is very minimal. I would suggest hubbers to buy the CD to help him (My opinion only).

If u have problems with that, you can still enjoy the works (by reading online)

:D

selvakumar
5th April 2006, 01:41 PM
I hope that link will help hubbers in getting the content for quoting.

Let's make this thread a place for discussing on all KALKI works.

:P

kannannn
5th April 2006, 06:21 PM
Thank you for the link Selva. I had a pdf version some time back and as I said, grew tired of reading on the PC. As you mentioned, we can now post the relevant parts and that will sure enhace the discussion.

An observation of Kalki's works shows how he literally builds up the heroism of the characters to an extent where we are at awe over every single action of theirs. The following is a passage from Sivagamiyin Sabadam (again from Selva's link), where the sculptor Aayanar and his daughter Sivagami visit Mahendra Pallavar at Mamallapuram. Aayanar, requests the king to spare a horse for an important mission. He doesn't mention who it is that is going to carry out the mission:
-------------------------------------------------------
சிவகாமியின் சபதம்
முதல் பாகம் - பரஞ்சோதி யாத்திரை
இருபத்தேழாம் அத்தியாயம் - ஒரு குதிரை
-------------------------------------------------------
"அதுவும் தருகிறேன் இவ்வளவு முக்கியமான காரியத்துக்கு யாரை அனுப்புவதாக உத்தேசம், ஆயனரே, ஒருவேளை நீரே போவதாக உத்தேசமா?"

"எனக்குக் குதிரை ஏறவே தெரியாது, பிரபு! என்னுடைய சீடன் ஒருவனை அனுப்புகிறேன்."

"பகைவர் படைகள் வரும் வழியிலே அவன் போக வேண்டியிருக்குமே? கையில் நல்ல ஆயுதம் எடுத்துப் போக வேண்டும். இதோ இந்த வேலை அவனிடம் கொடுத்து அனுப்புங்கள்!" என்று கூறிச் சக்கரவத்தி, நரசிம்மரிடமிருந்து தாம் வாங்கி வைத்திருந்த வேலை நீட்டினார்.

ஆயனர் சற்றுத் தயங்கி நிற்கவே, "ஏன் தயக்கம்? இந்த வேல் நீர் அனுப்பப் போகும் வாலிபனுடைய வேல்தான்! மதயானையின் கோபத்திலிருந்து உம்மையும் சிவகாமியையும் பாதுகாத்த ஆயுதந்தான். பரஞ்சோதி இதை வாங்கிக்கொள்ள ஆட்சேபிக்க மாட்டான்" என்றார் சக்கரவர்த்தி.

இதைக் கேட்ட ஆயனர் மட்டுமல்ல நரசிம்மரும் சிவகாமியும்கூட ஆச்சரியக்கடலில் மூழ்கினார்கள்.

ஆயனர் தட்டுத் தடுமாறி, "பல்லவேந்திரா! தங்களுக்கு எப்படித் தெரிந்தது?" என்றார்.
-------------------

selvakumar
5th April 2006, 06:56 PM
An observation of Kalki's works shows how he literally builds up the heroism of the characters to an extent where we are at awe over every single action of theirs.

Exactly Kannanm.! But KALKI uses this style for portraying the several qualities of his characters. We can see this in SS in many places.

Be it SivaGaMi, Narasimmhar or NaaGA nadhi. He perfectly explains their nature in his style.

Let me give the way he neatly displays the CUNNING & CLEVER, CALCULATIVE brain of NaaGA NanDhi.

Here it is:
-----------------------------------------------------
சிவகாமியின் சபதம்
நான்காம் பாகம் : சிதைந்த கனவு
முப்பத்தாறாம் அத்தியாயம் - "பயங்கொள்ளிப் பல்லவன்"
------------------------------------------------------

அப்போது நாகநந்தி, "இல்லை, ஆயனரே, இல்லை. சாரதி கண்ணபிரான் சொன்னது அப்படி ஒன்றும் உளறல் இல்லை. அவன் சொன்னபடி நடந்தால், அதில் எனக்கு வியப்பு இராது. காஞ்சி சிங்காதனத்தில் பயங்கொள்ளிப் பல்லவனை வைத்துப் பட்டம் கட்டுவதைக் காட்டிலும் பரஞ்சோதிக்கு ராஜ்யத்தைக் கொடுப்பதே வீரமகேந்திர பல்லவருக்கு உகப்பாயிருக்கும்" என்றார்.

எதிர்பாராத நேரத்தில் வானத்திலிருந்து ஒரு மின்னல் பாய்ந்து வந்து மண்டையைப் பீறிக்கொண்டு தேகத்துக்குள் பாய்வது போன்ற உணர்ச்சி 'பயங்கொள்ளிப் பல்லவன்' என்ற சொற்களைக் கேட்டதும் சிவகாமிக்கு ஏற்பட்டது.

"ஒரு மர்மமும் இல்லை. உலகமெல்லாம் தெரிந்த விஷயத்தை உங்களுக்கு நான் சொன்னால்தான் என்ன? மாமல்லன் என்று பட்டப்பெயர் பெற்ற குமார சக்கரவர்த்தி நரசிம்ம பல்லவனைப் பற்றித்தான் சொல்கிறேன். அவன் பெரிய கோழை, பயங்கொள்ளி என்பது உலகப் பிரசித்தமாயிற்றே? முதன் முதலில் வாதாபி சைனியம் படையெடுத்து விட்டது என்று கேள்விப்பட்டதுமே மாமல்லனுக்கு உடம்பெல்லாம் நடுக்கமடைந்து மயங்கி விழுந்து விட்டானாம். அதுவும் அந்தச் சமயத்தில் அவன் அரண்மனை அந்தப்புரத்து மாதர்களுக்கு மத்தியில் இருந்தானாம். சக்கரவர்த்திக்கு மானமே போய்விட்டதாம். ஆயனரே! மாமல்லனை ஏன் சக்கரவர்த்தி யுத்த களத்துக்கு அழைத்துப் போகவில்லை என்று நீர் கேள்விப்படவில்லையா? ஏன் காஞ்சிக் கோட்டைக்கு வெளியிலே மாமல்லன் வரக்கூடாது என்று திட்டம் செய்துவிட்டு மகேந்திர பல்லவர் போர்க்களம் போனார் என்று நீர் கேள்விப்படவில்லையா?"

ஆயிரம் பேய்களினால் துரத்தப்பட்டவளைப் போல் சிவகாமி வீட்டின் பின்கட்டுகளைத் தாண்டிக் கொல்லைப் பக்கம் ஓடினாள். காட்டுக்குள்ளே எங்கே போகிறோம் என்ற உத்தேசமில்லாமல் ஓடினாள். ஓடி ஓடிக் களைத்துக் கடைசியில் ஒரு மரத்தடியில் வேரின் மீது உட்கார்ந்தாள்.

Just Like this, KALKI perfectly brings the real qualities of his characters in our eyes.

P.S: It would be easy for newbies if u could put the part and the sub-division name. :P People who have read his works before will find it very easy to track it. But newbies will find it difficult.

kannannn
5th April 2006, 08:17 PM
Let me give the way he neatly displays the CUNNING & CLEVER, CALCULATIVE brain of NaaGA NanDhi.
Yes. And his villains are so cool. Sometimes, they carry out their actions without a hint of what's on their mind.

P.S: It would be easy for newbies if u could put the part and the sub-division name. People who have read his works before will find it very easy to track it. But newbies will find it difficult.
I have added the info now. :thumbsup:

sv
6th April 2006, 11:04 PM
Hi Stranger, sorry i had some guests and couldn't come online for the past few days. Good to know you are also a kalki fan. Your memory is amazing. I am longing to see PS in the silver screen, atleast somebody should attempt to make a teleserial on this. I was searching for a hard copy in our city library. Even the local tamil sangam doesn't have a tamil library.
Thanks Selva for sharing the information about the online version. Some consolation!

stranger
7th April 2006, 03:46 AM
sv!

kadamai first, hub next! :D

I remember this dialogue by vanthiyathevan (?) when three people were arguing which God is great.

"ariyum shivanum onnu athai aRiyaathavanga vaayila maNNu" :rotfl:

S.Balaji
7th April 2006, 02:08 PM
Stranger

Vandhiadevan will say the following :

Hariyum sivanum onnu ...ariyaadhavar vaayilay mannu ! and after this he will open his palms to show some sand and will throw ...

other will follow him and there will be chaos

abbydoss1969
7th April 2006, 08:29 PM
who was kalki's inspiration? walter scott?

sv
7th April 2006, 10:20 PM
Hi Stranger :)
The dialogues between vandhiyathevan and azhvarkkadiyaan were really funny, unfortunately i don't remember any. It has been 10 years since i last read PS. I read it in the kalki weekly magazine. I remember how i used to yearn for thursdays, to read new kalki :)
The description of poonkuzhali, her romance with arunmozhi varman which didn't last long, chinna & periya pazhuvettaraiyar, how aathidha karikalan was killed - they were all so natural that we will feel like watching directly.

S.Balaji
7th April 2006, 11:45 PM
Some emotional moments in Ponniyin selvan :

1. The last moments of Periya pazuvettarayar.... as he shares with Alwarkadiyaan, his bitter past , being overhead by Kunthavai from another room, she will shed tears....... PP will apologise through Alwarkadiyaan for having shown disgust on Kunthavai earlier as he was blinded by the beauty of Nandini
2. The final 2 pages as Vandhiya devan meets Manimekalai ...as she falls dead right on his lap....really tearful end
3. Immediately when that Oomai rani dies on the lap of Sundara Cholan, the silent exchange of emotions between the two....just eye to eye contact and it conveys 1000 messages.....

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 12:09 AM
just wanted to say that i love ponniyin selvan.

i'm a very slow reader in tamil and so haven't read many tamil books at all. and no book as long as PS.

but wow! PS was wonderful my mum was amazed i could finish the whole thing. but i found it so interesting.

usually i would have found scenery descriptions boring but in PS, i would read them again and again cos i enjoy them too.

as i already mentioned, i am a slow tamil reader. so i've not really read all the posts in this thread. i shall try and find time!

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 12:47 AM
what font is that in? can't read it!

rami
10th April 2006, 10:03 AM
Its human nature to immediately like someone or dislike someone..
Though, Vandhiyathevan is aware that Nandhini is like a beautiful snake, he has some affection towards her which cannot be dismissed as lust...
Similiarly, nandhini has some bond towards Vandiyathevan, which is not lust .. but something else...
Vandhiyathevan is in love with Kundhavai ...

But Nandini... She saves Vandiyathevan many times.. I always keep wondering abt the nature of bond bwn Vandiyathevan and Nandhini

Any hubbers who have the same strange feeling...

S.Balaji
10th April 2006, 12:43 PM
There are some places which Kalki mentions are still around even today...

like Veera narayana yeri.... is nothing but today's VEERANAM YERI ! and its near cuddalore ......

the rivers arisilaaru etc etc are still around but there is little or no water at all... I could see this river while travelling between thanjavur and Swamimalai ....

Thirupaapuliyur also is being mentioned by Kalki ( Vandhiyadevan I think will try to get horses ) ...this is Cuddalore.....

Ofcourse Thanjavur and thiruvaiyaaru and Kudandhai are there for ages.....

Also, after the death of Aditya karikalan, kalki refers to Thiruvalangadu cheppedu....and this village is still there carrying the same name !

Kanchi is being touched as well

shanthi_a
9th May 2006, 12:42 PM
Hi,
Even I like Ponniyin Selvan. It's my all time favorite novel.

So who are ur favorite characters in that novel?

I like Kundhavai, Vandhiyadevan and Nandhini :)

kannannn
9th May 2006, 10:17 PM
I read elsewhere that Vandhiyadevan actually abandoned Kundavai to be with another woman and Kundavai eventually returned to Tanjavur to take care of her brother's children. How true is this information?

S.Balaji
9th May 2006, 10:26 PM
I read elsewhere that Vandhiyadevan actually abandoned Kundavai to be with another woman and Kundavai eventually returned to Tanjavur to take care of her brother's children. How true is this information?

Kannannn

If you run through finishing touches given by Kalki after the final episode , you will realise that they joined hands after facing challenges from Parthibendra pallavan ( kanchi ) and others ....

Kalki gave this finishing touches after receiving so many queries after the end.....
Obviously, he had left many characters unfinished which made the readers curious....

Vandhiya devan and Kuntavai wedding was one such....

Kalki summarises as follows :

After facing several hurdles , the 2 join hands and continue to serve the chola kingdom...they were treated with all respect and honoured.......

Like this, he mentions about Chinna pazuvettarayar also....he comes back and continues to serve the chola kingdom....

Nandini dies soon...but before Arulmozi varman meets her and she exchanges the truth behind Aditya's end.....

The old Madhurandhagan also gets killed after some time ( amara bujangan or some name ) by Arulmozi......

Vanathi dies ....but after giving birth to Rajendra Chola.....( she never takes the throne along with Raja raja )

Are you referring to Vikraman's Nandipurathu nayagi ??( a story written after PS was complete ) wherein he shows that Vandhiya gets arrested once again for the Aditya karikalan case but finally gets released.......

We used to read this story as a continuity to PS but Vikraman applied his own theory probably.......

kannannn
9th May 2006, 10:36 PM
Yes, Balaji. I remember Kalki giving an account of what happens to the characters after PS. But I found the info about V.devan in another forum (old) when I searched for V.devan in 'Google' (I know it is crazy, but I do that all the time). Obviously the user of the forum didn't give any evidence, but I was wondering if there is any evidence that suggests such an incident took place (like 'Kalvettu' or poems). BTW I haven't read 'Nandipurathu Nayagi'. Somehow I don't feel the closeness to the characters in historical novels by other authors (including 'Vengayin Maindhan' and 'Kadal Pura').

Anoushka
10th May 2006, 03:28 PM
I read ponninyin selvan when I was a kid in Kalki weekly. My mother got us started on that! Now last year when I went back home, I went to the book exhibhition in Madras and bought all 5 parts and got it shipped with a few other books.

ponniyin selvan is still one of the best books that I have read :)

Sadhana
17th May 2006, 08:45 PM
It was just recently I read Parthiban Kanavu and fell in love with Kalki's writing style. I am currently reading Sivakaamiyin Sapatham which is also proving to be an amazing read.

From what I hear from all of you, I guess I should have started with Ponniyin Selvan. Maybe this question is stupid but I would appreciate it if anyone can explain as to who Ponni is in this novel? And who her "son" is?

nms
19th May 2006, 09:57 AM
It was just recently I read Parthiban Kanavu and fell in love with Kalki's writing style. I am currently reading Sivakaamiyin Sapatham which is also proving to be an amazing read.

From what I hear from all of you, I guess I should have started with Ponniyin Selvan. Maybe this question is stupid but I would appreciate it if anyone can explain as to who Ponni is in this novel? And who her "son" is?

Ponni is 'Ponni' river and Her Selvan is Arulmozhi Varman.

nms
19th May 2006, 02:58 PM
I got the opportunity of reading kalki's works a few months back.
Initially 'Sivagamiyin Sabatham' - Padichu mudichu orey feelings..
then it was 'Parthiban Kanavu'.

still SS is my favourite.

Recently I had completed reading PS's first two parts..but due to relocation n job shift i havent completed it..

Sadhana
19th May 2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks, nms!

I agree with you, Sivakamiyin Sapatham is a very emotion packed novel. I made the mistake of reading Parthiban Kanavu before this one and I realize that they make references to Sivakami and Maamallar in Parthiban Kanavu as well. I had to go back to read Parthiban Kanavu just to see how these characters turned out... I was sad to see that Mahendravarmar's concumbines mocked Sivakami and (possibly ill-treated her as well). Of course it's all fiction but one can't help but feel for her.

venkatesannagappan
3rd June 2006, 10:03 AM
Hai to everybody,
I am new to this one.I have read ponniyin selvan 8 times, still if i get time again i will start reading again.so much interesting of that.not only ponniyin selvan is good also sivagamiyin sabatham,parthiban kanavu also is nice but it cant take the place of ponniyin selvan.

venkatesan.Na

S.Balaji
3rd June 2006, 12:36 PM
IMO, the ideal way to read Kalki novels are to start with Sivakamiyin sabatham , then Parthiban kanavu and then Ponniyin selvan as the stories will form a sequence

Kalki always had a comedy character . for ex in SS its gundodharan & in PS its Alwarkadiyan

rajes002
19th June 2006, 11:22 PM
Just finished reading the english transalation of PS. "Good" one... but not "Great"!!

I know ppl will come down hard on me for saying this: But for someone who has read many suspense filled and thrilling english novels, PS only appears as a very good attempt.

I admire the ability of Kalki to weave a fictional story out of a few recorded historical facts. I think Kalki was trying to awaken the tamil spirit in the readers of his time. It was most probably very necessary to overcome the influence of English/western and North Indian language and culture.

I'm not happy with a few things though:

1. Sendan Amuthan who eventually is portrayed as the 'original' Madhuranthakar is introduced to us at the start of the novel as a 'young boy'... but in the middle of the story, he suddenly emerges as a 'young man'.

I think Kalki came up with the 'child-swapping' idea (which appears in many desi-masala films later) much later in the story to introduce another angle to the story (Fortunately, Kalki did not introduce the much used family song idea :-) - Just kidding)

2. It is difficult to imagine the elder sister, Kundhavai not yet married when the younger brother, Arulmozhivarman is getting ready to get married. I think it was th norm then for girls to get married when they are in their teens...

I think the sister was most probably married by the time Aditya Karikalan died. Kalki had to ignore this and introduce the Kundavai-Vandiyathevan romantic angle to keep the story interesting.

3. I think Nandini is a totally fictional character and there is no records of such a person. Kalki had to introduce this scheming character and hint at many possibilities such as similar Mandurathakan-Nandini twins etc to maintain the suspsense.

Again Nandini reminded me of the mega serials of present day, which pit the 'evil vs virtuous' women and show how the virtuous woman emerges triumphant in the end!! However, Kalki has bought out the grey shades in all characters well.

4. I hated to see Kalki portray Arulmozhivarman as the then present-day avatar of Rama with respect to his sacrifice... and goody-goody nature etc etc... Kalki fails in his attempt... moreover historical records show that Arulmozhivarman and his son, Rajendran allowed their troops to raze Anuradhapuram in Srilanka to the ground!

s ramaswamy
25th June 2006, 03:57 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum, but I am a kalki fan out and out from my childhood and have read ponniyin selvan, sivakimyin sabadam and poarthiban kanavu endless no of times and also possess copies of these novels, thankfully sold at a very reasonable price, at home.

Ponniyin Selvan is easily Kalki's magnum opus and the last major completed novel he wrote before he died of asthma in 1954 aged 55. He died very young, but had accomplished ten times what people double that age would accomplish in their lifetime!

Since this topic relates to PS, I would mention a few things that have struck me about this extraordinary novel. It's one of the major works of world literature, whether anyone else agrees to this or not. The twists and plots in this novel, as also its predecessor Sivakamiyin Selvan, take the breath away every time one reads it.

The sweep of the novel is so vast and the characters so many that one may excuse Kalki had he not done justice to even a minor one like vaithiyar magan pinakapani. But he has done justice to all, including the reprehensible character Pinakapani who, I think, deserves the way he dies finally, killed by the spear thrown at him by the old Mathuranthagan, who actually is of pandiyan heritage as per the novel.

The other characters who come to be hated by the readers are Kandamaran (Kandan Maravel) and Pallava Parthibendran. Both are drawn to the extraordinary beauty of Nandini, a male version of Neelakesi (naganandi adigal of Sivakimiyin Sabadam), like moths to the flame and are consumed totally, making them look like total idiots to the reader's eyes.

One of the finest characters in this novel is Chinna Pazhuvettarayar, who stands by his brother throughout though is constantly trying to warn him about Nandini. His is an outstanding character of fierce loyalty to his elder brother and the chola kingdom.

What abt Nandini? Another outstanding piece of work by Kalki, as best, if not better, than Naganandi, the Budha Bikshu in Sivakamiyin Sabadam. Both are crucial to the plot of the two novels.

And what about Kalki's fertile imagination> Can any one come near his art of tying fiction with fact in his own inimitable style? I have read Chandilyan's novels. They are good, like Kadal Pura and Yavana Raani, but pale in comparison to Kalki's magnificent double whammy.
And one more pice of info. Kalki wrote Parthiban Kanavu, which actually is a continuation of Sivakamiyin Sabadam, before the latter novel.

s ramaswamy
25th June 2006, 05:13 PM
(some corrections to my earlier posting)

Hi, I am new to this forum, but I am a kalki fan out and out from my childhood and have read ponniyin selvan, sivakimiyin sabadam and paarthiban kanavu endless no of times and also possess copies of these novels, thankfully sold at a very reasonable price, at home.

Ponniyin Selvan is easily Kalki's magnum opus and the last major completed novel he wrote before he died of asthma in 1954 aged 55. He died very young, but had accomplished ten times what people double that age would accomplish in their lifetime!

Since this topic relates to PS, I would mention a few things that have struck me about this extraordinary novel. It's one of the major works of world literature, whether anyone else agrees to this or not. The twists and plots in this novel, as also its predecessor Sivakamiyin Sabadam (correction), take the breath away every time one reads it.

The sweep of the novel is so vast and the characters so many that one may excuse Kalki had he not done justice to even a minor one like vaithiyar magan pinakapani. But he has done justice to all, including the reprehensible character Pinakapani who, I think, deserves the way he dies finally, killed by the spear thrown at him by (sorry got it wrong first) Kandamaran who thinks the man crossing the river is his bete noire vandiyathevan.

The other characters who come to be hated by the readers are Kandamaran (Kandan Maravel) and Pallava Parthibendran. Both are drawn to the extraordinary beauty of Nandini, a male version of Neelakesi (naganandi adigal of Sivakimiyin Sabadam), like moths to the flame and are consumed totally, making them look like total idiots to the reader's eyes.

One of the finest characters in this novel is Chinna Pazhuvettarayar, who stands by his brother throughout though is constantly trying to warn him about Nandini. His is an outstanding character of fierce loyalty to his elder brother and the chola kingdom.

What abt Nandini? Another outstanding piece of work by Kalki, as good, if not better, as Naganandi, the Budha Bikshu in Sivakamiyin Sabadam. Both are crucial to the plot of the two novels.

And what about Kalki's fertile imagination> Can any one come near his art of tying fiction with fact in his own inimitable style? I have read Chandilyan's novels. They are good, like Kadal Pura and Yavana Raani, but pale in comparison to Kalki's magnificent double whammy.

And one more pice of info. Kalki wrote Parthiban Kanavu, which actually is a continuation of Sivakamiyin Sabadam, before the latter novel.

s ramaswamy
25th June 2006, 05:35 PM
Some more stray thoughs on Kalki's works. I would recommend his short story collections, especially Saarathayin Thanthiram and Kanayaniyin Kanavu. One of his finest short stories of his is titled Kedariyin Thayar. Kindly read it. The story ends with these lines...
"Kili endru soneen allava, antha kilikku mottaiyum mukkadum pottirindhadu" (he's referring to widowhood of those days).

Kalki strove for social justice through his works, including women's liberation and literacy. Imagine his novel Tyaga Bhoomi (serialised in ananda vikatam in the late thirties by carrying photographs of the film simultaneously being made of that novel and directed by K Subramaniam (father of danseuse Padma, Abaswaram Ramji and S Krishnaswami who made the documentary Indus Valley to Indira Gandhi).

I had been told by my father that the ananda vikatan copies used to sell like hot cakes as soon as they hit the stands when the novel was being serialised. Incidentally Kalki was the editor of AV then, with founder and Gemini Studios owner S S Vasan being its
publisher.

The novel and the cinema, banned by the British in 1938-39 period because of its strong nationalitic outlook, talks about the heroine Savitri divorcing her husband and becoming a top social worker. Unimaginable in those days!

Coming back to his literary works, I would suggest reading the Sahitya Academy winner "Alai Osai", a fine novel written with the freedom struggle as its background. There's suspense in this novel too, in typical Kalki style, and if I will bet the readers would start hating the hero of the novel (Raghavan) when they finish it!

Kalki's novels and short stories, including Poiman Karadu (made into the film Pon Vayal in the 1950s), contain vivid descriptions of nature. Ponniyin Selvan, Sivakamyin Sabadam and Paarthiban Kanavu carry a no of such passages.

And the underlying hunour in all these works need to be mentioned too.

I have read Ponniyin selvan and Sivakamiyin Sabadam many times over and on each occasion have experienced tears in my eyes hen I come to the last chapter - with Manimegalai dying in the arms of Vandiyathevan in PS and Sivakami dancing to the Appar hymn "Munnnam avanudaya naamam kettal, moorthi avanirukkum Vannam Kettal" with her entire focus on Lord Shiva even as her one-time lover Mamalla Narasimhan watches the performance with tears in his eyes. Truly touching endings! Can't get better than these!

s ramaswamy
25th June 2006, 05:36 PM
Some more stray thoughs on Kalki's works. I would recommend his short story collections, especially Saarathayin Thanthiram and Kanayaniyin Kanavu. One of his finest short stories of his is titled Kedariyin Thayar. Kindly read it. The story ends with these lines... "Kili endru soneen allava, antha kilikku mottaiyum mukkadum pottirindhadu" (he's referring to widowhood of those days).

Kalki strove for social justice through his works, including women's liberation and literacy. Imagine his novel Tyaga Bhoomi (serialised in ananda vikatam in the late thirties by carrying photographs of the film simultaneously being made of that novel and directed by K Subramaniam (father of danseuse Padma, Abaswaram Ramji and S Krishnaswami who made the documentary Indus Valley to Indira Gandhi).

I had been told by my father that the ananda vikatan copies used to sell like hot cakes as soon as they hit the stands when the novel was being serialised. Incidentally Kalki was the editor of AV then, with founder and Gemini Studios owner S S Vasan being its
publisher.

The novel and the cinema, banned by the British in 1938-39 period because of its strong nationalitic outlook, talks about the heroine Savitri divorcing her husband and becoming a top social worker. Unimaginable in those days!

Coming back to his literary works, I would suggest reading the Sahitya Academy winner "Alai Osai", a fine novel written with the freedom struggle as its background. There's suspense in this novel too, in typical Kalki style, and if I will bet the readers would start hating the hero of the novel (Raghavan) when they finish it!

Kalki's novels and short stories, including Poiman Karadu (made into the film Pon Vayal in the 1950s), contain vivid descriptions of nature. Ponniyin Selvan, Sivakamyin Sabadam and Paarthiban Kanavu carry a no of such passages.

And the underlying hunour in all these works need to be mentioned too.

I have read Ponniyin selvan and Sivakamiyin Sabadam many times over and on each occasion have experienced tears in my eyes hen I come to the last chapter - with Manimegalai dying in the arms of Vandiyathevan in PS and Sivakami dancing to the Appar hymn "Munnnam avanudaya naamam kettal, moorthi avanirukkum Vannam Kettal" with her entire focus on Lord Shiva even as her one-time lover Mamalla Narasimhan watches the performance with tears in his eyes. Truly touching endings! Can't get better than these!

aadhirai
8th September 2006, 02:56 AM
Boss vandhiyathevanum , kundhavaium ennagalai kalki's thamizh mattumae uyirrodu konduvarum. U should try and read it in tamil to get the total glimpse of it. I think u will enjoy it.

ramyap
26th September 2006, 01:33 PM

of ocurse Kalki was simply great. Though Poniyin sevan was historic novel, nearly 80% of the story was kalki's imagination only. there is no proof that there was a character called nandini was there in history.

Writing mere history won' t stand any one's mind. i started reading poniyin selvan at the age of 8, until now i would have read it hundred times. But never get bored towards reading it. Just a wonderful presentation.

Really kalki's imagination, makes us to go really to the historic age.

The character Madagini is the one who can never been comapared with any one in the story. She is the one who saved our great Raja raja and mad him as Poniyin selvan.

Of ocurse, nandini's cahracter can unbelievable and great. she has to be pittied. Whenever i see recent padaiyapa film, i will remember kalki's nadini character.

ramyap
26th September 2006, 01:37 PM
I have read

Sivagami sabatham
parthiban kanavu
ponniyin selvan
alai osai

thyiaga poomi, mogini thivu are also very good novels.
u can see this link
http://www.chennailibrary.com/kalki/kalki.html

kannanmathi
29th September 2006, 05:25 PM
80% imagination ???

Come on. PS is the story which has lot of historic facts compared to his other novels. One cannot expect any historic 'novel' to say what exactly happened during that time. It is just the presentation of facts and events which need to be studied to see if its real or imagination. PS has lot of historical facts and events that way. Nandini is the one key character which is fictitious. Even Senthan Amuthan becomes a real character in Maduranthagan later. Following are the key facts of Chola history woven in the novel

- Adita Karikala constructing the Pon Maligain at Kanchi
- Arulmozhi's ilankai padai eduppu
- Confusion among the chola lords as who should succeed Sundara chola
- Killing of Adita Karikala by Ravi Dasan & Co.
- Arulmozhi's sacrifice of the throne to Utthama Chola etc.

sipi
26th October 2006, 02:34 AM
Dear All...

Ponniyin selvan was written by Kalki Krishnamurthy

His first historical novel was Sivakamiyin sabadham ...its about Pallavas and Chalukyas
Indeed a splendid write up about the 5th century
This was followed by Paarthiban kanavu...

no balaji.. his first historical novel is parthiban kanavu (1941) after that he starts sivagami sabadham at 1944.

and before ponniyin selvan, he wrote mogini theevu & solaimalai ilavarasi. the story is in historical period but its full and fully imagination story..

atlast he write ponniyin selvan (1950 - 55)

sipi
26th October 2006, 02:37 AM
Infact Kamal had plans to make a movie on Ponniyin selvan but could not make it...It remains one of his dreams

not only kamal balaji.. before to kamal, mgr interested to make it as a movie with 2 intervals & in dual role (both arul mozhi & vandhiyadevan) but, kalki said that this story didnt suitable for movie because of the imaginations...

and kamal, he is interested to make it as serial and he talked with doordarshan...(private channels ellam varradhu ku minnadi) but, the doordarshan interested finish up with in 50 episode.. so, adhuvum mudiyama poidichi...

sipi
26th October 2006, 02:39 AM

AMARADHARA??? i think u mean "ALAI OSAI" It happens in the period of nation movement.

i think, u mention about "AMARA VAZHVU" Its a short story and very nice one...

sipi
26th October 2006, 02:41 AM
I have read

Sivagami sabatham
parthiban kanavu
ponniyin selvan
alai osai

all his short stories are very nice... in novels, magudapathy, solai malai ilaravarasi are very nice... mogini theevu is also a good one.. but, climax padichadhum mood out aagiduvom...

sipi
26th October 2006, 02:51 AM
He could have died in a desease.
The book on Chola sculptures speculates that Madurantakan conspired to kill him. Kalki had portrayed him as a noble person (Chendan Amudan). Kalki left the scene of Aditya Karikaalan's death in a mysterious fashion without indicating who killed him.
Any guesses regarding that ?

there is a clear idea about this in cholas sculptures rami... after an year, when arul mozhi became a king. he punish ravidasan, paramesvaran and his whole family due to the murder of aditya karikalan. they are served as premarayar in the period uthama chozhan. so, there is a chance of uthama chozhan in aditya karikalan's death.

sipi
26th October 2006, 02:54 AM
I read somewhere that some brahmins killed. it was the end of that particular issue and why how when was published in the next issue. sorry I didn't read that :cry:

yes, its true... ravidasan & parameswaran are brahmins.. basically from kaandhaloor salai (kerala)... first they served to veera pandiyan. in the period of uthama chozhan, they served to him and has a post of bremarayar's

sipi
26th October 2006, 02:59 AM
He will get angry and say,

kudanthai (thanjai?) nagaraththu peNgaLukkum mariyaathaikkum romba thooram polirukku! :roll:!

It was a beautiful first meeting between the Hero and the heroine! :clap:

hahahaha.. more than that.. u commented very humorously...

and ... kudandhai = kumbakonam (not thanjai)

madhu
16th November 2006, 08:07 AM

AMARADHARA??? i think u mean "ALAI OSAI" It happens in the period of nation movement.

i think, u mention about "AMARA VAZHVU" Its a short story and very nice one...

yes.. "amara thara" was written by Kalki but was not completed. His daughter Anandhi completed the story and published.

Likewise "Arumbu ambugaL" was found after his days.. not as a complete story but only in small "kurippugaL" and K.Rajendran elaborated and published in Kalki.

sipi
16th November 2006, 09:02 AM
oh... is it, thats nice news madhu... i didnt have the collection of both the novels :(

sundararaj
29th November 2006, 02:56 PM
I agree with u rami.

sundararaj
30th November 2006, 03:45 PM
It is a great book. There is no doubt about that.

sipi
30th November 2006, 09:00 PM
use this link to read ponniyin selvan, entire novel...

http://www.chennailibrary.com/ebooks/ponniyinselvan.html

Indumathi
23rd February 2007, 01:39 PM
Hi,
Ponneyin Selvan is very good. But none cares about Aditya Karikalan. I like him much than Raja raja cholan and Vandiya Devan.

s ramaswamy
22nd July 2007, 08:50 AM
Hi,

PS is one of the novels either in Tamil or English which you can re-read countless no of times. It's got amazing depth, width and is so racy that one cannot put it down. I have read it probably on 25 occasions and now thankfully have a copy at home.

I have read the serialised novel when as it had first appeared much later with maniam's drawings which were a treat. And have read it each time it has been re-issued in Kalki mag.

By the way I want to pose a query to all you PS fans. Do you think it's better than Sivagamiyin Selvan or the latter is your preferred choice. As far as I am concerned it's a draw.

Ramaswamy

bingleguy
22nd July 2007, 10:40 AM
Marma Desam Pugazh Naga is taking the Historic Novel on to the small screen .....

Tis getting aired on the Kalaignyar TV .....

Read more from the thread link on my signature ........

aanaa
26th July 2007, 06:23 PM
Marma Desam Naga's "PONNIYIN SELVAN"

get participate and give moral support to our gr NAGA

aanaa
26th July 2007, 06:25 PM

you can click on ""Font Downloads "" at top

or
download tabanna or tabakaram
insall

enjoy the Tamil reading

Fire111999
26th July 2007, 07:14 PM

you can click on ""Font Downloads "" at top

or
download tabanna or tabakaram
insall

enjoy the Tamil reading

thanks. that was a stupid qn in the first place. i've got the font. but i've got the hard copy of the books too. :D

shanthi_a
3rd August 2007, 08:42 AM
Today is Aadi 18-am naal (aadi perukku), the day in which Kalki starts Ponniyin selvan :):):).
So as per the story today is the day when Vandhiya devan reached Veera narayana lake almost 1039 years back :D
Long live Ponniyin Selvan 8-)

Fire111999
4th August 2007, 07:43 AM
cool. i shall read ponniyin selvan again today. :D

selvakumar
29th January 2008, 04:42 PM
Reviving : :D

kalki takes a dig at the nature of the muslim invasions and the religion in a soft manner at few places in PS. I am just curious to know whether there were major intrusions from the south west during those times ? I couldn't recollect whether he had made any references like this in Sivagaamiyin Sabatham.

After going through the novel several times, I feel as if kalki's sole intention was to establish the HINDU religion. In one place, he says that people were eating "Chithranna" ! I heard about this dish only in karanataka. :?

Is there any article that touches on the historical events that are presented in this novel ? :?

P_R
29th January 2008, 05:48 PM
I am just curious to know whether there were major intrusions from the south west during those times ? Do you mean intrusions into the South West Tamil Nadu ? Madurai, Tirunelveli.
The first Muslim invasion was around 1311 led by Malik Kafur (Alaudin Khilji's general). Malik Kafur was invited to by Sundarapandiyan to get the throne from his step-brother Veerapandiyan who was ruling Madurai. Once Madurai was conquered the promise to Sundarapandiyan was not honoured. After some ensuing skirmishes the Madurai Sultanate was formed. which stayed over half a century before the Vijayanagar generals defeated the Sultanates to establish the rule of the Nayaks.

But this is much after the timeline of PS, which is set in the heydey of the Chola empire.

selvakumar
29th January 2008, 06:01 PM
PR,
In the novel, kalki refers to the invasions in North India. (Ofcourse, not the south tn or india).

Hence I was curious to know the first muslim invasion on India

P_R
29th January 2008, 06:11 PM
PR,
In the novel, kalki refers to the invasions in North India. (Ofcourse, not the south tn or india).

Hence I was curious to know the first muslim invasion on India Oh so there have been many small time Muslim chieftains coming to power on-and-off in what is now Pakistan, even in the 8th-9th century. The major invasions would be Mahmud of Ghazni's invasions in the early 11th century. That would coincide with the time of Ponniyin Selvan.

sivank
11th February 2008, 02:45 PM
PR,

Hence I was curious to know the first muslim invasion on India Oh so there have been many small time Muslim chieftains coming to power on-and-off in what is now Pakistan, even in the 8th-9th century. The major invasions would be Mahmud of Ghazni's invasions in the early 11th century. That would coincide with the time of Ponniyin Selvan.

True, Mahmud of Ghazni started his invasions at 1008 against the Rajputs. Even christianity is mentioned in PS through AK and P. Pallavan( he also mentions Islam in the 3rd volume)

crazy
18th June 2008, 10:44 PM
irandaavathu muraiya PS padichu mudichutten :clap:

mudhal murai padikkira maariye irunduchu
of course last time padikkum podhu kadhai'yai therinchukkonumngira avasarathil padichadhu...indha murai nidhaanama padichen :P

kalki :bow: :clap:

my fav characters
vanthiyadevan
poonguzhali
manimegalai
kundhavai

rangan_08
19th June 2008, 02:53 PM
Thevaraalan aattam, kuravaikoothu - does it still continue to exist ??? :roll:

Are there any descendents to Pazhuvettarayar clan ???

Earlier, MGR was in the idea of making PS, but dropped it. Later Kamal too gave it a shot. With today's cutting edge technology in graphics, I think it will go on to become a great film, if it falls in the hands of a talented team in tfi. Let them take it as Part I, II..etc..

Btw, how about suggesting actors who would fit into the characters

Periya pazhuvettarayar - Napoleon

Chinna pazhuvettarayar - Nasser

Aazhvaarkadiyan - Senthil

Vaanadhi - Meena or Kaniga

Poonguzhali - Meera Jasmine

In yesteryears, I think Gemini Ganesan would have been a perfect bill for Arulmozhivarman.

Others like Pasupathy, bharath, sayaji shinde, manorama...can support.

Shakthiprabha.
19th June 2008, 03:03 PM
rangan

:redjump:

my favvvvvvvvvv topic of discussion. I must have suggested my choice in threads and website links and yahoo groups and in person to so many , yet i never tire.

Herez my chioce.

yester years choice (assume all are in prime age irrespective of genre )

aruL mozhi varman = Kamalhassan / Rahman (pudhupudhu arthangaL)

vanthiyath thEvan = Gemini ganesan

Kundavai = Vaanishree

Nandhini = Vyjayanthimala / Mohini

Vaanathi = Bharathi

PEriya pazhuvetaraiyar = mn nambiyar

chinna pazhuvetaraiyar = Jayshankar

Poonkuzhali = sarojadevi

karikaala sozhan = rajnikant

_______

Curr gen

aruL mozhi varman = Kamalhassan / Shyam

vanthiyath thEvan = Madhvan

Kundavai = Simran

Nandhini = Ramya krishnan / Nagma

Vaanathi = Laila / MaaLavika

PEriya pazhuvetaraiyar = sathyaraj / prakash raj

chinna pazhuvetaraiyar = karan

Poonkuzhali = Gopika / Navya nair

karikaala sozhan = rajnikant

rangan_08
19th June 2008, 03:29 PM
Nice choice SP. I think you would again choose Rajni to play KC in your next gen.list also. :D

I like that hurricane in the middle of sea, episode. Kalki's great narration will bring the scene right in front of your eyes. I would love to watch it being picturised.

crazy
19th June 2008, 08:49 PM
hm...i cant think of any actors actresses

vanthiyadevan - madhavan :sigh2: :banghead:

Shakthiprabha.
19th June 2008, 08:54 PM
hm...i cant think of any actors actresses

vanthiyadevan - madhavan :sigh2: :banghead:

:hammer:

that was :mad:

Madhavan is naughty and thats ENOUGH acc to ME :mad:

:mad:

crazy
19th June 2008, 09:02 PM
sorry, ennaala sollaama irukka mudiyala ....sollrathukku munnaadi mannippu kettukkiren ,,,

sp akka and other madhavn fans ...i really dont like madhavan :oops: vanthiyadevar maari oru super character'la madhavan'ai ennaala ninachu kooda paakka mudiyala :oops:

and arulmozhi varman - shyam ...aniyaayam :banghead:

poonkuzhali - gopika/ navya nair ... :cry2:

sorry..we all have different taste...aana eno ennaala indha kada paathirangala..neenga sonna aalungaloda ninachu kooda paarkka mudiyala :oops:

Shakthiprabha.
19th June 2008, 09:07 PM
sp akka and other madhavn fans ...i really dont like madhavan :oops: vanthiyadevar maari oru super character'la madhavan'ai ennaala ninachu kooda paakka mudiyala :oops:

and arulmozhi varman - shyam ...aniyaayam :banghead:

poonkuzhali - gopika/ navya nair ... :cry2:

sorry..we all have different taste...aana eno ennaala indha kada paathirangala..neenga sonna aalungaloda ninachu kooda paarkka mudiyala :oops:

ofcourse we all have diff taste :mad: and each one has pride about their choice. thats nature and world and no need to be sorry :roll:
neenga solra choice la ennala ninaichu enna, remotest thought la kooda dismiss panra mathiri irukkalaam.

Arulmozhi varman is goodlooking and I feel shyam is good looking too. Goodlooking acc to u, may vary with my choice. :evil: and I might bang my head more fiercely or cry helplessly more times!!!!

That was the FIRST TIME I reacted like a real Madhavan FAN

and I COUDL NOT HELP IT :roll: :oops:

sivank
21st June 2008, 04:26 PM
If I had a choice in the 60s to produce Ponniyin Selvan I would have used the following actors:

Arul Mozhi Varman - N.T. Ramarao

Vandhiyadhevan - M. G. R (of late 50s)

Adhitha Karikalan - S.A. Asokan

Parthi. Pallavan - S.S. R

Aazhvarkadiyan - Sarangapani(Missiyamma time)

P. Pazhuvettaraiyar - S.V Rangarao/E.R.Sahadevan

C.Pazhuvettaraiyar - M.N. Nambiyar

Periya Sambuvaraiyar - T.S. Balaiyaa

Kandhamaaran - R.S. Manohar(without gimmicks)

Senthan Amudhan - A.V.M Rajan

Kundavi - Padmini

Nandhini - Vaijayanthimala

Poonkuzhali - B.Sarojadevi

Sundara cholan - S.V.Sahasranamam

Kudandhai josiyar - Nagaiaah

Vanadhi - M.N. Rajam

Manimekalai - Kumari Kamala

Ravidasan - P.S.Veerappa

Oomai Raani - Kannaambaa

Murugaiyan - J.P Chandrababu

Anirutha Brahmaraayar- T.K. Bagavathy

Kodumbaalur Velaar - V.S Raghavan

Malayamaan - M.G.Chakrapani

crazy
21st June 2008, 04:54 PM
SSR and SV Saha....yaar sivan anna?

sivank
21st June 2008, 04:58 PM
SSR and SV Saha....yaar sivan anna?

ssr is ss rajendran, svs is an actor who acted as father in lot of films

crazy
21st June 2008, 05:01 PM
ss rajendran thaan therilennu ketten anna? paravayillai..google panni paarkiren :)

sivank
21st June 2008, 05:06 PM
SS Rajendran is actor of Sivaji, MGR, Gemini genre. He was called as Lakshiya nadigar because he refused to act in religious roles due to his attachment to Periyaar kolgai.

crazy
21st June 2008, 05:12 PM
oh got it....kovalan isnt?

sivank
21st June 2008, 05:18 PM
exact

Shakthiprabha.
21st June 2008, 05:20 PM
If I had a choice in the 60s to produce Ponniyin Selvan I would have used the following actors:

Arul Mozhi Varman - N.T. Ramarao

Vandhiyadhevan - M. G. R (of late 50s)

Parthi. Pallavan - S.S. R

Sundara cholan - S.V.Sahasranamam

Vanadhi - M.N. Rajam

haiyaaaaaa nalla velai nobody gave u a choice! pozhachomda saami!!! :redjump:

Adhitha Karikalan - S.A. Asokan

Aazhvarkadiyan - Sarangapani(Missiyamma time)

P. Pazhuvettaraiyar - S.V Rangarao/E.R.Sahadevan

Periya Sambuvaraiyar - T.S. Balaiyaa

Kandhamaaran - R.S. Manohar(without gimmicks)

Kundavi - Padmini

Ravidasan - P.S.Veerappa

hmmm... paravayillaiye...oru velai ungalukku sila idathula lesa chance kuduthirukkalamo :?

Nandhini - Vaijayanthimala

Poonkuzhali - B.Sarojadevi

Manimekalai - Kumari Kamala

Kudandhai josiyar - Nagaiaah

Senthan Amudhan - A.V.M Rajan

C.Pazhuvettaraiyar - M.N. Nambiyar

adaadaada! ungalukku poi chance kudukaama poitaalE :redjump: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sivank
21st June 2008, 05:25 PM
En SP, MGR very seriously considered making PS as a film with him as Vandiya Devan

Shakthiprabha.
21st June 2008, 05:29 PM
En SP, MGR very seriously considered making PS as a film with him as Vandiya Devan

Thankgod! :yessir:

sivank
21st June 2008, 05:32 PM
[tscii:f60b6c4dbf]I don´t know whether you have seen the movie Parthiban kanavu. Even though it didn´t do well the choice of actors were great[/tscii:f60b6c4dbf]

Shakthiprabha.
21st June 2008, 05:36 PM
Ive not seen, I supp gemini acted in it. he looked AWESOME as prince!

sivank
21st June 2008, 05:41 PM
But gemini is not ideal for doing serious and fight scenes. For romantic roles he was ideal. Have you seen MGR in Mannadhi mannan, Kanchi Thalaivan, Raja Desingu, Rajarajan, Madurai veeran etc.

Shakthiprabha.
21st June 2008, 05:44 PM
I have seen mannathi mannan. yeah...

anyway... likings differ :)

sivank
21st June 2008, 05:47 PM
MGR early 60s raja roles la romba thuru thuruppa iruppaar adhu Vandiya Devan nature kku suit aagum nu dhaan select pannen. NTR mela en ivlo kovam

Shakthiprabha.
21st June 2008, 05:54 PM
:D kovam elaam illai sivan.
I dont consider mgr as a very goodlooking man :oops: And...in my mind vanthiyathevan is a naughty /brave/goodlooking guy

NTR ... pch... doesn't gel with my imagination for arunmozhi varman. I dont think I found anyone of prev era (before kamalhassan) good enough to gel in this role.

sivank
21st June 2008, 05:59 PM
[tscii:316ed206c2]I presume you haven´t seen NTR other than Krishna or Rama. I have seen NTR in diverse Teleugu Raja roles he was really terrific. If you ask BG he would readyly accept[/tscii:316ed206c2]

Shakthiprabha.
21st June 2008, 06:07 PM
I am NOT BG. :roll:

sivank
21st June 2008, 06:15 PM
I am NOT BG. :roll: :shock: adaaada aalu maathi pesittano

Shakthiprabha.
21st June 2008, 06:16 PM
:D

// end dign . illati rendu periyum adichuda poraanga mods vanthu

Anban
18th January 2009, 04:14 AM

:yes:

totally unexpected...

Anban
18th January 2009, 04:16 AM
Stranger

In the final stages, Kuntavai will share with Vandhiya devan , her assessment of Nandini wherein she will say that Nandini though was a very tough and poisonous character, she had a soft corner for Vandhiya devan ...

for which he will counter by saying that her actual plans were to make him the scape goat for Aditya karikalan's killing....and that was her objective....

At the end it was poetic justice rendered by Kalki as through the voice of Kunthavai ( considered to be the arch rival ) admiring the qualities of Nandini ....

she will say that Nandini after all comes from veera Pandiyar kulam and she proved her royal blood by seeking revenge over Aditya karikalan

IMO, the most pitiable character was Manimekalai ...absolutely innocent ...... had true love over Vandhiadevan .....

the final pages will be tearful.... as Kalki shows Vandhiyadevan in tears when he holds the dead body of Manimekalai...

Indeed a great novel... yea.. very much.. why the hell did this end??

Anban
18th January 2009, 04:44 AM
arulmozhi -- surya

vanthiya thevan -- simbu

aditya karikaalan -- surya

kundavai -- sneha

vaanathi -- genelia

it will be superb....

Anban
18th January 2009, 04:45 AM
nandhini - asin

poongulali - meera jasmine..

Jyothsna
17th February 2009, 04:00 PM
Anban,

ungalukku Vanthiyathevan,Kunthavai ellam pidikkatha...

Kunthavai buthisaliyana,Gambeeramana ponnu
athukku poi snehava...

Jyothsna
17th February 2009, 04:01 PM
Ponniyin selvan a movie a edukkanumna casting romba romba kashtam...

Kandippa namma manasila irukka bimbathukkum athukkum othe pohathu..

Shakthiprabha.
17th February 2009, 04:11 PM
solli solli tired aagiyachu. even then (think of the respective artists during their prime age)

arulmozhi / raja raja sozhan -- kamalhassan / shaam

vanthiya thevan -- Karthik - jeeva

aditya karikaalan -- Muthuraman - surya

kundavai -- Vaanishri - Simran

vaanathi -- Madhavi - Jyothika - Sneha

Poonkuzhali - Vijayakumari - Meera jasmine

Nandhini - Madhuri dixit - shridevi - ramya krishnan - tamanna

periya pazhuvettaraiyar - sathyaraj

chinna pazhuvettaraiyar - Jayashankar

sivank
18th February 2009, 02:32 PM
solli solli tired aagiyachu. even then (think of the respective artists during their prime age)

chinna pazhuvettaraiyar - Jayashankar :hammer: :hammer: :banghead:

Shakthiprabha.
18th February 2009, 02:35 PM

:grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr: who asked for ur opinion.

u would want MGR for god knows al roles and ...... :Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:

lemme bangmy head for ur taste :banghead: :banghead:

sivank
18th February 2009, 02:43 PM

:grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr: who asked for ur opinion.

u would want MGR for god knows al roles and ...... :Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:

lemme bangmy head for ur taste :banghead: :banghead:

idichukongo, idichukongo

indha maadhiri thalaya idichindaalaavadhu, panna paavam ( list podaradhu)korayam

Shakthiprabha.
18th February 2009, 02:43 PM
vaayla edhavathu vanthuda poguthu :hammer: :infinitely mad:

btw,add

"rajnikant" as a major choice,

for aadithya karikalan 's role

Shakthiprabha.
18th February 2009, 02:45 PM
unga choice ketta kalki-yE keezha irangi vanthu, unga kannathula paLAarnu arainjuttu povaar.

Still better rajra raja sozhan, kundavai, vanthiyathevan, vanathi, nandhini, adithya karikalan... ellaa charactersum vanthu kanavula bayamuruthum :mad: :mad:

sivank
18th February 2009, 02:46 PM
yen avar vandhu lakka bikka nu sollittu porathukkaa.Enna poruthavarai Sarathkumar thaan andha role ku suitable a iruppaar.

Shakthiprabha.
18th February 2009, 02:53 PM
irundhuttu pogatutum.
adhu neenga.
idhu naan.

Dont argue with me :hammer:

Anban
23rd March 2009, 06:44 PM
Anban,

ungalukku Vanthiyathevan,Kunthavai ellam pidikkatha...

Kunthavai buthisaliyana,Gambeeramana ponnu
athukku poi snehava... jeeva will also suit vanthiyathevan..

Kunthavai's role is the most difficult... nenba kastamunganaa .. sneha is only decent actress i can think of as of now..

also sneha-simbu akka-thambi jodi rocked in silambaattam.. :yes:

Anban
23rd March 2009, 06:47 PM
shaam as rajaraja cholan..

:cry:

aanaa
12th August 2009, 05:17 PM
[tscii:6df60b3198]
பொன்னியின் செல்வன் yahoo group மற்றும் Reach Foundation சார்பில் உங்களை அழைக்கிறேன்.

அன்புடன்
நடராஜன்.
---------------
பொன்னியின் செல்வன் வரலாற்றுப் பேரவை பெருவிழா

அன்புடையீர்,

பழந்தமிழ் கலாச்சாரத்தின் பெருமை பகரும் ‘அண்மைக்கால அரிய
கண்டுபிடிப்புகள்’ குறித்த
வரலாற்றுப் பெருவிழாவிற்கு தங்களை அன்புடன் அழைக்கிறோம்.

விழாத் தலைமை *கவிப்பேரரசு பத்மஸ்ரீ வைரமுத்து *அவர்கள்

சிறப்பு விருந்தினர் *திருமதி. சீதா ரவி* அவர்கள் – ஆசிரியர்,
கல்கி இடம் 605,
தென்னிந்திய திரைப்பட வர்த்தக சங்க வளாகம் (ஜெமினி மேம்பாலம் – ராணி சீதை
அரங்கம் அருகில்) நாள்/ நேரம் 15-08-2009 சனிக்கிழமை காலை
9.30 மணி முதல்.

*நிகழ்ச்சி நிரல்**:***

· தமிழ்தாய் வாழ்த்து

· வரவேற்புரை: - திரு. சிவபாதசேகரன்
அவர்கள்

· பொன்னியின் செல்வன் வரலாற்றுப் பேரவை

ஓர் அறிமுகம்: - திரு. கோகுல் சேஷாத்ரி அவர்கள்

§ பொன்னியின் செல்வன் சித்திரக் குறும்படம்

ஓர் அறிமுகம் - திரு. ரமேஷ் அவர்கள்

§ ஆதிச்சநல்லூர் அகழ்வுகள் - முனைவர் திரு. தியாக.
சத்தியமூர்த்தி அவர்கள்

§ சாளுவன்குப்பம் சங்க காலத்துக் கோட்டம்

(மல்லை புலிக் குகை) - முனைவர் திரு எஸ்.ராஜவேலு அவர்கள்

§ நாகை புத்த விஹாரம் அகழ்வு - முனைவர். திரு. பி. ஜெயகுமார்
அவர்கள்

§ காவிரிப் படுகையில்

தொல்லியல் சின்னங்கள் - முனைவர். திரு. வி. செல்வகுமார் அவர்கள்

§ தஞ்சை பெரிய கோவில்

சோழர்கால ஓவியங்கள் - திரு. பி.எஸ். ஸ்ரீராமன் அவர்கள்

பேரவையில் வரலாற்று நாவலாசிரியர்கள் மற்றும் அறிஞர்களை கெளரவித்தல்

§ சிறப்புரை - திருமதி. சீதா ரவி
அவர்கள் – ஆசிரியர், கல்கி

§ தலைமையுரை - கவிப்பேரரசு பத்மஸ்ரீ
வைரமுத்து அவர்கள்

· நன்றி நவிலல் - விசாகை வெ.திவாகர் அவர்கள்

· தேசியகீதம்

மக்கள் தொடர்பு: திரு. டி.கே.வி.ராஜன் - indiansciencemonito r@yahoo.com -

திரு. ஜெ.சந்திரசேகரன் - reach.foundation. india@gmail. com - 9444441181[/tscii:6df60b3198]

AudazJay
4th December 2009, 01:27 PM
Have just been introduced to this great novel. Since I can't read tamil to save my life, a friend of mine recommended me to read the english translation of Ponniyin Selvan online. Been reading the same from Project Madurai. Problem is- they only have translation of Volume 1 & 2. Since reading both these volumes, I've been looking for the rest of the volumes but no avail :( Anyone knows where i can get the rest of volumes online?

ramachan devi
11th August 2010, 12:01 PM
I am new to the HUB.

M looking for Ponniyin Selvan English Translation. Written by C.V.Karthik Narayanan. Sent message via few friends and relatives in India to buy. However they could not get the books.

Anyone has info as to where can I buy these books in India.

Rdgs

RAGHAVENDRA
12th August 2010, 09:00 AM
"Pebbles" has brought out ebook in CD. Contents incl. Kalki's magnum opus Ponniyin Selvan and his other works and short stories. Available in Landmark, Ampa Skywalk, Chennai. priced @ Rs.149.00. Also available in othter CDs - Pudumaipithan's stories and also works of Na.Parthasarathi, Savi, etc.

Raghavendran

rangan_08
13th August 2010, 06:54 PM
"Pebbles" has brought out ebook in CD. Contents incl. Kalki's magnum opus Ponniyin Selvan and his other works and short stories. Available in Landmark, Ampa Skywalk, Chennai. priced @ Rs.149.00. Also available in othter CDs - Pudumaipithan's stories and also works of Na.Parthasarathi, Savi, etc.

Raghavendran

Have you got one for yourself, sir? If so, how do you feel about it? I personally don't prefer e-books (vera vazhi illainathan..).
Anyway, thanks for the information, sir.

srimal
2nd November 2010, 10:28 PM

chinna pazhuvettaraiyar - Jayashankar

kodumaiya irukkae...:shock: :shock:

eppadinga manasu vandhadhu ungalukku...

PG2010
12th November 2010, 07:04 PM
Vandhiyadevan-now karthi,
Periya pazhuvettaiyaar-Nambiyar.now prkash raj
Aalvarkkadiyan-now sendhil.

Jyothsna
23rd November 2010, 10:35 PM
http://ponniyinselvan.in/

Novel patriya suvaiyana vishayangal ulladakkiya valaithalam.

smaiitm
13th March 2011, 09:28 PM
Hello,

Is there any online site where I can get the 5 parts (Tamil Version) ?

Thanks for your help.

ajaybaskar
13th March 2011, 09:45 PM
http://ponniyinselvan.in/pages/downloads.html

smaiitm
13th March 2011, 10:22 PM
http://ponniyinselvan.in/pages/downloads.html

I am sorry for not making myself clear. I want printed copies. Actual books that we can hold in the hands and read. I just finished reading PS, Part 2. I have to go to Chennai to get the printed book, either from Higginbothoms or elsewhere. I wanted to avoid that and order online.

Thanks for your reply anyway.

app_engine
14th March 2011, 10:40 PM
that we can hold in the hands and read

I strongly recommend iPad kind of tablet with pdf's and please don't encourage paper books anymore, save trees :-)

venkkiram
18th March 2011, 08:01 PM
போட்டு சாத்துங்கள் பொன்னியின் செல்வனை! (http://www.writerpara.com/paper/?p=2006)

இன்னும் நாவலை படிக்கல. படிக்கணும். படித்தவர்கள் நாவலின் மீதான இந்த அவதூறையும், பா.ரா-வின் கட்டுரையினையும் பற்றி இங்கே பதியுங்கள்.