PDA

View Full Version : An interview with writer Indira Parthasarathy

Oldposts
12th December 2004, 08:33 AM
Topic started by Hub Group (admin@forumhub.com) on Mon Aug 16 03:45:33 .

This thread is for the discussion of the interview given by writer Indira Parthasarathy to the Hub. The interview can be found Here! (indiraint.htm). Comments, more questions to Mr.Parthasarathy and feedback are welcome. Thanks to Mrs.Kanchana Damodharan for conducting this interview on behalf of the hub.

Oldposts
This is a rare interview. It is classy, intellectually stimulating and yet unpretentious. The obvious credit goes to Indra Parthasarathy and the less obvious credit goes to Kanchana.

Oldposts
Read the interview. Can provide sparks for many discussion topics, "communism and Tamilnadu/India", "women's liberation", "award process", "sad state of thamizh theatre" etc.
Good job Kanchana, forumhub. Thanks to IP too.

Oldposts
[tscii:d9c545429b]

‡ä€ÀÆ‘î ‚î‘Ö º¦™ Ÿ×‘̝ÆÃÅ …èã ŠÏ þµÑ‘«Ö.
Á™ µòê .

ƒ.º‘, ×ãѹ³×ÏÅ ¹° "°Ó´ ƒÒ™ŽÆÅ "ºíê ƒòñÅ —‘¤œÅ
—œ‘ÖÓÇÏ™Ò‘þÀ ‡òì þ°‘òêƳ.

[/tscii:d9c545429b]

Oldposts
Very Interesting Interview. I recently got chance
to read two of his novels, thanks to kanchana. I had some questions and not surprisingly, he gave
answers to them in this interview. Thanks to Forum hub and Kanchana
for providing us opportunities to know authors
like Indhira paarhtasarathy and their thoughts thru these interviews.

Wonderful Work!!!!

Oldposts
Kanchana and Hub Team, good job. Looking forward to more such interviews.

Oldposts
an interesting point that he mentions is that we have become immune to everything as a society.. in this scenario, what is the use of writing, other than for a literary pursuit?

Oldposts
Thanks to Kanchana and indirA pArthasArathy for a great stimulating interview.

I have read only 3 books of i.pA - only two as an adult but I think I can say i.pA is one of my favourite writers.

The first book I read was nandhan kadhai - his drama. I read this as a school-going kid : I was probably 13-14 years old at that time. I remember that the drama made a great impact on me at that time. I did not know the story of nandhan at that time so I probably did not understand the 'revisionist' version of i.pA and I probably was too young to understand all the nuances. But I think this is a hallmark of a great work : it can affect many different people at many different levels.

The second book I read was thandhira bhoomi : a novel set in the pretentious upper class social mileau of New Delhi. Before I read this book I had the opinion (I had forgotten nandhan kadhai by this time) that i.pA was high-brow and I probably wouldn't like it. Once I started reading this book, I just couldn't put it down. Great book.

The third book I read was vErppatRu : a novel set in kumbakONam (i.pA's hometown) between the periods 1946-51 - just before and after independence. It is the story of a college student named kEsavan. He is a brahmin by birth but is progressive, does not believe in caste and gets involved with the communist party. The book chronicles the effect of Congress and Communist and nascent Dravidar Kazhagam on students. In between this he manages to weave a romantic story too. (In his preface, he discounts that this is an autobiographical novel but admits that any work had shades of the author).

One thing I noticed about i.pA's work is that for a writer this old, his language is very fresh. Quite contemporary. Unlike jayakAndhan or ka.nA.su's works (IMO opinion the language is quite dated). Of course I am not sure how much this is valid since jayakAndhan and ka.nA.su (who is dead) have not written anything new in quite some time. Also I have read only three of his works and I cannot say whether his language has evolved with the times. (The other thing is that the language in vErppatRu is quite comtemporary and I am not sure whether this is accurate for the period in which the story is set).

All in all, I think i.pA has not quite got the recognition he deserves. Very well travelled he brings his broader perspective to his novels. (I remember reading his experiences in Warsaw - a polish woman a ploitical activist - asking him for US dollars in secrecy and i.pA explaining to her that he is quite broke being on a exchange type program. I do not remember the details - where and when I read these. I have a very poor memory !)

The interview :

i.pA mentions a few of my favourite writers : the forgotten b.s.rAmaiah (a maNikkodi writer), Adhavan, sivakAmi. b.s.rAmaiah if I remember right was the editor of maNikkodi for a long time. A great short story writer has been unfairly forgotten. I was lucky to find a collection of his short stories in my college library (BITS, Pilani). I still remember a story of his (about the psychology of beauty). Adhavan is another excellent writer who can write a 20 page story on a couple coming back from a late-night movie. No events - just psychological explorations. I think it is no coincidence that Adhavan is i.pA's student.

I fully agree with i.pA on anglo-indian writing. It is like Ravi Shankar composing for Woodstock : it just ain't the real thing. We have loudmouths such as Khushwant Singh and Salman Rushdie shooting their mouths off about regional writing. A catch-all language like English can never express the nuances of specific cultures.

Oldposts
IP's interview is pretty decent.

<u>For those interested in reading Adhavan</u>:

National Book Trust has published a collection of short stories by Adhavan
compiled by IP. It has the famed "mudalil iravu varum", "nizalgaL" ,
"oru pazaya kizavarum, pudhiya ulagamum" among various others. It is a
very interesting collection of shortstories and showcases Adhavan's
skill of blending psychological explorations with storytelling.

Oldposts
PG: Can you give a brief intro about sivakAmi?

Oldposts
I like IP's commment on thi.jA's style of writing. Comparing his writing to "good music"
:-)

Oldposts
Kanchana,
Thanks a lot for a nice interview that stimulated
IP to state certain very interesting things.

Balaji, I also was struck by the powerful but sadly true assertion that we seem to have become immune to almost everything that purports to stimulate the society.
While that makes one feel that there is no hope for change, further thought reveals to *me* that it is all owing to cynicism that has taken root in people's psyche after witnessing the corruption of the society at all levels in most respects ...that is to say that the people are not mute witnesses but they themselves have finally in one way or other have contributed to the events. I feel that the way out is to start *acting*...which requires sacrifice however small it may be.

It was interesting to hear his call for making classical Tamil corpus part of the national literary heritage.
The central government is to blame for not recognizing Tamil as one of the official classical languages of India. While Arabic and Persian are recognized as classical languages of India alongwith Sanskrit, what is their problem with Tamil? I would have loved to see the DMK alliance to extract frm the BJP alliance a promise to recognize Tamil as a classical language as part of their electoral agreement.

I especially liked reading his comments about women's equality.

Overall he possesses clarity of thought and not affected with, to use a cliche, various -isms.

Good Show Kanchana!

Oldposts
Gokul,
I have read 2 books by sivakAmi (pazhayana kazhidhalum) & AnandhAyi. Both books can be termed as dalit literature.

Will write more in a detailed thread.

Oldposts
PG, u can do that here: http://www.forumhub.com/tlit/24367.15.46.59.html

Oldposts
list of books by IP in TAMBHI:
* vEdhapuraththu viyaapaarigaL
* vErp paRRu
* agni
* aagaasath thaamarai
* vendhu thaNindhadhu kAdugaL
* kurudhip punal
* sudhandhira bhoomi
* oru cup kaapi
* avaL en manaivi
* uchchi veyil
* thamizh ilakkiyangaLil vaiNavam
* aRRadhu paRRenil
* Aurangazeb

Oldposts
a full list of IP's books:
‡à´°‘ãÑ ƒ¹±Ì‘ º‘Ñ´°œ‘̱Çò Ò º€¥¿½è

µ‘×֍è:
Ï±¿½îÖ
þ×°½Ì´³ ØÆ‘º‘͍è
þ×Ñ¿ºíì
œ´±Æþœ‘°€î
ˆŸØò þ°‘Ýэè
À‘ÆÀ‘ò þת€¥
—ùӍ‘¿¥Ñè þÝ ƒé›Ž ت¥î
¶Ò—ÀñÅ µÖÒ‘è
Ÿ°¹±Ì¾Á
°¹±Ì¾Á
²Úè
‘Ò—×èãÅ
±€Ìæ™ ¿º‘Ö
‚‘œ´°‘À€Ì

µ‘¥›è:
µ¹°ò €°
Ì‘À‘ñóÑ
—‘›€´ ²
ƒì±Æ‘ª¥Å
ŠãÌ›÷“¿
º

ìµ‘×֍è:
…¢ —×ËÇÖ
þ×õ›è
™ï

ì€°´ —°‘¿½è:
ŠÏ ¿ ‘¿»
×è ‡ò À€îØ
µ‘œ‘Ì™ ÅºÖ
Àï° —°Ë×›è
—œ‘Ñ™´³™ ŠÏ ì™×Þ

ª¨€Ìè:
°Áâ ƒÒ™ŽÆ›äÖ €×«×Å
‡òìÃã °ÁàÅ ƒòìèã °ÁàÅ
..... ÀíìÅ ºÒ...

Oldposts
kAnchanA,

thanks for the good interview.

Oldposts
Thanks to all of you for your enthusiastic responses here and through personal e-mail.

One piece of additional information: Dr.Parthasarathy has written the script for a documentary titled "Subramanya Bharathi", to be released in the US within the next two months. Will keep you posted if more information becomes available on that.

Like Ravi Sundaram here, many readers have observed through e-mails that this is a very comprehensive and thought-provoking interview by itself, and that each section of this interview could be a separate in-depth discussion too. Very true. This interview is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of capturing the full scope of Dr. Parthasarathy's thinking on diverse issues related to literature. As a practicing expert in both Classical and Modern Thamizh literature, Dr. Parthasarathy definitely has a lot more to offer here and elsewhere.

I hope our group will continue its detailed discussion on 'dhalith' literature in maruthavANan's thread started for that purpose....a trend to watch for any student of modern thamizh literature.

PG is right about B.S.Ramaiyyah being the editor of 'maNikkodi'. In fact, he dedicated that magazine exclusively for short stories during a particular period of time, and played an important role in the growth of thamizh short stories. Some writer-critics like si.su.chellappA consider him to be one of the best short story writers in thamizh.

I am quite fascinated by the fact thi.jA. was i.pA.'s teacher and Athavan was i.pA.'s student. What an incredibly noteworthy literary chain!

PG raises a valid question as to whether i.pA. has been awarded the recognition he deserves. I tend to echo the question too, especially as I read i.pA.'s essay compilations alongside the novels. i.pA., sundhara rAmasAmy, asOkamiththiran, ku.azhakirisAmi, thi.jAnakirAman, g.nAgarAjan, jeyakAnthan, neela. padmanAban, nakulan are all contemporaries, and each is a literary giant in his own different way. Can't help but ask this general question: how many of them have received the recognition they rightfully deserve, formally or informally?

Like Chandra, I am intrigued by i.pA.'s vision of thamizh literature as part of the national literary tradition. Such a pragmatic view! While I'm not naive about political realities, I can't help wondering (wishing?) if there is something we can do to make this come true in time.

Dr. Parthasarathy named Mr. Jayamohan as one of his favorite younger generation writers in this interview. Mr. Jayamohan has made a solid impact in the field through his novels 'Rubber' and 'Vishnupuram' and short story collections 'thisaikaLin naduvE' and 'maN'. A summary excerpt on Dr. Parthasarathy from Mr. Jayamohan's book 'naveenath thamizhilakkiya aRimukam' (1997):

"êÚ´°Ï™Å œ‘ѹ°³Å ›°´°ò€À —‘¯¥³À‘î µ€¥
ƒ×Ï€¥Æ³. ÌÆÖ ¶âڍè, …ÆÑÀª¥ בâØò º´°›è
ðÓÆ×í€é ‡èãÕ¥ò ´°Í´° €°€ã ‡à±Éèã‘Ñ. Œ¿Ì‘˦Æ
…㿺¿º‘ËÚ Â³ »¦¿½ …¯¨. °‘º‘´±Ì›äò Àî ‹ª¥›€ã´
°Ï™¾Ñ×À‘ ÒŸ×³ ƒ×Ñ º€¥¿½ÒŽò ƒÆÖ½. '—ùӍ‘¿¥Ñè
þÝ ƒé›ŽØª¥î', '°¹±Ì¾Á', 'Ÿ°¹±Ì¾Á' ðÓÆ µ‘×֍è
ƒ¹±Ì‘ º‘Ñ´°œ‘̱Çò º€¥¿º‘æ€À€Æ¢ é¿º‘ —×䙍‘ª¨º€×.
—ºÏµÑ œ‘ѹ° ‡à´³ (Urban Literature) °ÁÞÖ ƒ¹±Ì‘
º‘Ñ´°œ‘̱ÇÓϹ³°‘ò ³×›Žé³ ‡îÒ‘Å. »íº‘¨ ‚°×ò
º‘Ñ´°œ‘̱Çò º‘¬€Æ¢ é¿º‘ ×ãÑ´—°¨´°‘Ñ ‡òé‘ÕÅ ˜¥
ƒÜ×€ ‡à´³ °ÁÞÖ þº‘±Æ ãÚ ƒÖ€Ò. ÃíêÕÅ
êÚ´°ãÅ œ‘ѹ³ ƒÆ›×³ ƒ¹±Ì‘ º‘Ñ´°œ‘̱Çò º€¥¿½äò
Á¿—ºÍÆ €éº‘¥‘ ‡¿þº‘³Å ê¿»¥¿º¨Žé³."

We are happy to have had Dr.Parthasarathy share his thinking with us and wish him continued success in future endeavors.

Regards,
Kanchana Dhamodharan.

Oldposts
Thanks to IP for giving us a thought provoking interview..

Kanchana: The full credit goes to you.

He has put forth his views on State of communism, women liberation
movement, the state of Tamil theatre and Thamizh isolation very succintly.

His view that we have become immune to everything as a society is very
disconcerting. Can we[the people] not do anything about it ?

-JR [aka] Ramanan

Oldposts
[tscii:0c5cc2de4d]

¸¡ïºÉ¡,

*.À¡ ×¼É¡É Í¨ÅÂ¡É §¿÷¸¡½ÖìÌ ¿ýÈ¢. ¦ƒÂ§Á¡¸ý ¦º¡øÅÐ §À¡ø ¦ÀÕ¿¸÷ º¡÷ó¾ ±ØòÐ *.À¡ Å¢ø ¦¾¡¼í¸¢ «ÅÕ¼§É ÓÊÅÐ ¿õ ¦ÀÕ¿ð¼õ. *ó¾ì ÌüÈðÎìÌ *Ä측Ìõ *.À¡¨Å Å¢Á÷º¸÷¸û, ¾Á¢ú ¾Ä¢ò *Ä츢Âõ, ¦Àñ½¢Âõ º¡÷ó¾ ±ØòÐ *¨Å¸ÙìÌ Óý§É¡Ê¡¸ ²üÚì ¦¸¡ûÇ¡¾Ð «Å÷¸Ç¢ý ¸¢ð¼ôÀ¡÷¨Å§Â. ±É¢Ûõ ¦ÀÕ¸¢ÅÕõ ¾Ä¢ò *Ä츢Âò¨¾ «Å÷ ÅçÅüÀÐ «ÅÕ¨¼Â «È¢×º¡÷ §¿÷¨Á¨Âì ¸¡ðθ¢ýÈÐ.

ºøÁ¡ý Õ‰Ê, ̉Åóò º¢í §À¡ýÈ ¬ÃÅ¡Ã indo-anglican ±Øò¾¡Ç÷¸Ù¼ý «Å÷ «Õó¾¾¢ á¨ÂÔõ §Áø¿¡ð¼¡Õ측¸ *ó¾¢Â¡¨Å ±ØÐÀÅ÷¸û ±Éî §º÷ò¾¢ÕôÀ¨¾ ±ýÉ¡ø ²üÚ즸¡ûÇ ÓÊÂÅ¢ø¨Ä. «.á, Å¢ý ´§Ã À¨¼ôÀ¢ø ÁñÅÇò¾¢üÌî ºüÚõ ̨ÈÅ¢ø¨Ä. «ÅÕ¨¼Â ÅÕ½¨É¸Ù¼ý ±ýÉ¡ø ±Ç¢¾¢ø *Éí¸¡É Óʸ¢ýÈÐ. «.áŢý ´§Ã ¿¡Å¨Ä ¨ÅòÐ «Å¨Ã «ÅºÃÁ¡¸ ±¨¼§À¡Î¾ø ¿øľøÄ («ÅÕ¨¼Â ÝÆ¢Âø ¿¼ÅÊ쨸¸¨Ç ¿¡ý ¸Õò¾¢ø ¦¸¡ûÇÅ¢ø¨Ä).

Á½¢ì¦¸¡Ê À¢.±Š. á¨ÁÂ¡×¼É¡É ºÁ£Àò¾¢Â (¦¿ÊÂ) §¿÷¸¡½¨Ä *í§¸ ¸¡½Ä¡õ,

http://www.intamm.com/ilakiya/nearkanal.htm (http://www.intamm.com/ilakiya/nearkanal.htm
)
[/tscii:0c5cc2de4d]

Oldposts
chandra,

IP has bought to notice a very valid point that tamil is not recognized as a classic language. I have an equally serious anguish that the Indian constitution which was originally written in english is not translated into any *national* languages. It is but sad that if you do not know english (or Hindi) you cannot read the constitution of your country (and cannot know what rights it sanctions and forbids).

Incidently, I have an abridged *tamil* version of the erstwhile German Demacratic Republic (GDR, East germany) constitution that I received from Radio Berlin International during my school days !!!???

All that we have nurtured these days is only linguistic hatred.

Equally (and sometimes more obnoxious) is the *nationalistic* outlook and the associated inertia. If you wanted to send a money order (from kovilpatti to kambam) you need to know english/hindi. To have it printed in tamil, someone had to fast-unto-death and it was acceeded in 10 days. And to have it printed in kannada, after 1 year, someone else had to fast-unto-death. Things that should happen automatically must be *achieved* in our country.

Oldposts
Kanchana:

It may be a good idea to get I.P's response to the points raised here plus a closing statement. I hasten to add point( question?):

Quoting IP "Liberation should come from within, for its own sake; not just to be against someone. A woman should be able to do and live by what she truly believes is right." Could IP revisit this in conjunction with his views on issues of social inequalities, oppression etc in other areas of the society?

Oldposts
I absolutely enjoyed the interview and believe that IP is an artist worth learning about. But I also had a few issues with some of his remarks.

"Those who say they’re fighting for women’s rights are cheapening the issue by their vulgar behavior. Smoking and drinking don’t constitute liberation, they are just personal habits."

Yes, they're just personal habits, but why is it vulgar behavior? Maybe you are a bit conservative, MR. IP.

"Another recent example: Deepa Mehta’s "Fire" has been labeled as a women’s liberation film because there is a lesbian relationship involved. . .The movie makes it sound as if the men were bad, so lesbianism was the answer, so it is about women’s liberation.Am I supposed to accept this as a sound logical argument?"

Sir, the movie doesn't dictate that lesbianism is the only answer when the men are bad. It just shows beautifully that two women can fall in love in the most unlikely circumstances, the fact that the principles in love were women wasn't the crux of the relationship, the fact that love and compassion is possible anywhere is the worthwhile message the movie conveys.

Also, where did you hear that falling in love had anything to do with being sound and logical?

"Now, homosexuality is based on several psychological factors for both men and women."

Now, that's a clinical distance put on the issue of homosexuality, isn't it? Why can't love be manifested out of kindness and passion regardless of gender?

Oldposts
A Message From Writer Indira Parthasarathy

"To my dear Forum Hub friends:
I read through your discussions. I find there have been some good responses to general issues.

I'm especially glad to see the high level of passion for Thamizh among expatriates such as yourselves. While all of you are contributing in your own way to preserving our literary heritage, I feel there should be a collective voice to address our Chief Minister Dr. M. Karunanidhi regarding the Classical Thamizh issue. Dr.M. Karunanidhi should prevail upon the Center to put Classical Thamizh on par with the other classical languages such as Sansrikt, Persian and Arabic. He should help fund Chairs for Thamizh as a Classical language for non-thamizhs in major universities in India. It could be non-credit, cafeteria course for part-timers. The NRI Tamils may help him in this regard. He should not interfere in drafting syllabii as well as appointments in any other way.

I am happy that I got to hear your voices and opinions. I wish The Forum Hub all the best and hope it grows further."
(End Message)

We appreciate Dr.Parthasarathy's grace in taking the time to share his perspectives with us and to read our responses. We wish him well in all his future literary endeavors.

Thank you, i.pA.

Oldposts
Great job Kanchana and the Hub managers! Looking forward to more such food for thought. How about going after other writers thinkers like JK?

Thanks Mr.Parthasarathy.

Oldposts
hello, well its been really nice well at last i have found the right place in the net,its a good interview and many more should continue.kudos to kanchana and for parthasarathy.

Oldposts
Simply superb.Thanks for a nice discussion site.

Oldposts
Venkat,

I'm bit confused by what u've mentioned 'Samibathiya nerkaNal' with B.S.Ramiah. As for as I know, he passed away a decade back.

Era.Murugan

Oldposts
murugan,

I meant "camIpaththiya" in the sense that it appeared in the current issue of that webzine. If I had put a comma after the qualifier, it would have saved the confusion.

Oldposts
[tscii:bd2749240e]
±Øò¾¡Ç÷ *ó¾¢Ã¡ À¡÷ò¾º¡Ã¾¢ìÌ *ó¾¢Â *Ä츢 ŢÕиǢø ¯Â÷Å¡¸ì ¸Õ¾ôÀÎõ "ºÃŠÅ¾¢ ºõÁ¡ý" Å¢ÕÐ «Ç¢ì¸ôÀθ¢ÈÐ. *.À¡. ±Ø¾¢Â "*áÁ¡Ñƒ÷" ¿¡¼¸õ *ùÅ¢ÕÐ ¦ÀÈò §¾÷ó¦¾Îì¸ôÀð¼Ð. *ó¿¡¼¸õ *ó¾¢Â¢Öõ ¦Á¡Æ¢¦ÀÂ÷ì¸ôÀðÎûÇÐ. §ÁÖõ Å¢ÀÃí¸¨Ç "«õÀÄõ"
ŨÄôÀò¾¢Ã¢¨¸Â¢ø ¸¡ñ¸.

http://www.minnambalam.com/ (http://www.minnambalam.com/
)

"*áÁ¡Ñƒ÷" ¿¡¼¸òÐ측¸ *.À¡. ±Ø¾¢Â ÓýۨâĢÕóÐ º¢Ä À̾¢¸û:

"º¡¾¢ §ÅÚÀ¡Î ¨Å¾¢¸ Á¾ò¾¢ý º¡À째Î. À¢ÈôÀ¢É¡ø ¯Â÷× ¾¡ú× ¸÷Á ÀÄɢɡø ²üÀθ¢ÈÐ ±ýÚ ÜȢ ºÁ¡¾¡Éõ «¨¾ Å¢¼ ´Õ ¦Àâ ¦¸¡Î¨Á. *áÁ¡Ñƒ÷ º¡¾¢ §ÅÚÀ¡Î¸¨Ç «Ê§Â¡Î ¿¢Ã¡¸Ã¢ò¾¡÷. º¡¾¢ §ÅÚÀ¡ð¨¼
´Æ¢ìÌõ Ũ¸Â¢ø «Å÷ ¨Å½Åõ «¨ÉÅÕìÌõ ¯Ã¢ò¾¡ÉÐ ±ýÚ «È¢Å¢ò¾¡÷. ºã¸ ŢǢõÀ¢Ä¢Õó¾ ÀïºÁ÷¸¨Ç ¨Å½Å÷¸Ç¡ì¸¢ «Å÷¸¨Çò "¾¢ÕìÌÄò§¾¡÷" ±ýÚ «¨Æò¾¡÷..............«È¢×ƒ£Å¢¸Ù츢¨¼§Â ÁðÎõ ÅÆí¸¢Â ºÁŠ¸¢Õ¾ò¾¢ø ¦¾öÅ ÅÆ¢À¡Î *Õó¾ ¿¢¨Ä¨Â Á¡üÈ¢, ¦ÀÕõÀ¡ý¨Á§Â¡Ã¡¸ *Õó¾ ±Ç¢Â Áì¸Ùõ ŽíÌžü§¸üȾ¡¸ò ¾Á¢¨Æ ¬ñ¼ÅÉ¢ý ¸ÕŨÈ¢ø «Ã¢Â¡ºÉõ
²üÈ¢ÂÅ÷ *áÁ¡Ñƒ÷. «¾É¡ø¾¡ý º¡¾¢ §ÅÚÀ¡ÊýÈ¢ «¨ÉÅÕõ ¨Å½Å Á¾ò¾¢ø §ºÃ ÓÊó¾Ð. ¦Àñ¸ÙìÌ ¬ñ¸ÙìÌ ¿¢¸Ã¡É ºÁ «ó¾ŠÐ «Ç¢òÐ «Å÷¸¨ÇÔõ º¢‰Â÷¸Ç¡¸ ²üÚì ¦¸¡ñ¼ ¨Å¾¢¸ ºÁÂò ¾¨ÄÅ÷¸Ç¢ø Ó¾øÅ÷ *áÁ¡Ñƒ÷. .......«ÅÃÐ ¦¸¡û¨¸¸û Áì¸Ç¢¨¼§Â ¦ºøÅ¡ìÌ ¦ÀüÈ¢Õó¾ ºÁÂò¾¨ÄÅ÷¸Ç¢ý ¦¸¡û¨¸¸ÙìÌ Óý¡¸ *Õó¾É. ºÁÂò¾¢ý º¼íÌ ¿¢Â¾¢¸¨ÇÔõ º¡¾¢ ²üÀ¡Î¸¨ÇÔõ *áÁ¡Ñƒ Á¾õ ¦¸ÎòРŢ¼ìÜΦÁýÈ «îºõ, ÁÃÒ º¡÷ó¾ ¨Å½Å÷¸û, ¨ºÅ÷¸û ¬¸¢Â
*Õº¡Ã¡Õì̧Á *Õó¾¢Õì¸ §ÅñÎõ. ºÁÂô ¦ÀÕõÀ¡ý¨Á§Â¡¨Ã
Å¢§Ã¡¾¢òÐì ¦¸¡ñÎ «Ãºý «Ãº¡Ç ÓÊ¡Р±ýÀÐõ ÅÃÄ¡üÚ ¯ñ¨Á......

*ó¿¡¼¸ò¾¢ý §¿¡ì¸õ, *áÁ¡Ñƒ÷ ¿ÁìÌî ºÁ¸¡Äò¾Å÷ ±ýÚ *¨¾ô ÀÊ츢ÈÅ÷¸û ¯½Ã §ÅñΦÁýÀо¡ý. ´ù¦Å¡Õ ¸¡Äò¾¢Öõ §ÅÚÀðÎî º¢ó¾¢ì¸¢ÈÅ÷¸û «¨ÉŨÃÔ§Á «Å÷¸¨Çô À¢ýÀüÚõ À¢ü¸¡Äò¾¢É÷ ¿¢ÚÅÉî º¢¨È¢ø âðÊ ¨ÅòРŢθ¢ýÈÉ÷. ¬¸§Å, «ì¸¡Äò¾¢Â ÒÃðº¢Â¡ÇḠ*Õó¾ *áÁ¡Ñƒ¨Ã «ó¾ ¿¢ÚÅÉî º¢¨È¢ĢÕóÐ Á£ðÎ ¿¡õ *ô§À¡Ð ÒâóÐ ¦¸¡ûÇ §ÅñΦÁýÀÐ ±ý ¸ÕòÐ. «§¾ ºÁÂò¾¢ø Á¡È¢ì ¦¸¡ñ§¼ ÅÕõ *측Äò¾¢Â ºÓ¾¡Â ¿Å£É Á¾¢ôÀ£Î¸¨Ç «Çק¸¡ø¸Ç¡¸ì ¦¸¡ñÎ *áÁ¡Ñƒ¨Ã ¿¡õ ±¨¼ §À¡¼ ÓÂøÅÐõ ¾ÅÚ. ¬É¡ø, *Ð ÁðÎõ ¯Ú¾¢Â¡¸ì ÜÈ ÓÊÔõ. «ýÚ Ó¾ø *ýÚ Å¨Ã ±ýÚõ ÅÃÄ¡üÚ ¿¡Â¸÷¸Ç¢ý ºÃ¢ò¾¢Ã Ó츢ÂòÐÅò¨¾ ¯Ú¾¢ ¦ºöÔõ
Ðġ째¡ø ÁÉ¢¾¡À¢Á¡Éõ¾¡ý. ÁÉ¢¾¡À¢Á¡Éò¨¾ò ¾Å¢Ã º¢Èó¾ ºÁÂõ ±Ð×Á¢ø¨Ä."

*.À¡. ×ìÌ ¿õ ÁÉí¸É¢ó¾ Å¡úòÐì¸û.
[/tscii:bd2749240e]

Oldposts
My hearty congrats to the learned Professor and eminent author I.P on his receiving the Saraswathi Samman.

Oldposts
<font face="VERDANA">
go to rediff's tamil pages at

http://www.rediff.com/tamil/2000/feb/16news8.htm (http://www.rediff.com/tamil/2000/feb/16news8.htm
)

to find out more.
</font>

Oldposts
<font face="VERDANA">
go to rediff's tamil pages at

http://www.rediff.com/tamil/2000/feb/16news8.htm (http://www.rediff.com/tamil/2000/feb/16news8.htm
)

to find out more.
</font>

Oldposts
While there can not be any second opinion about Prof.IP's unique contribution to modern Tamil literature, how far do we agree with Jayamohan's observation (as quoted by Venkat in his posting a few months back) that modern writing with focus on urban milieu starts with IP and ends with IP?

Oldposts
I join with everyone here in wishing Prof. IP on being honoured with the prestigious award.

era. murugan, thanks for bringing the issue to focus, I am anticipating others opinions.

Oldposts
Vassan,
Thanks for the Rediff link. I tried Inaimathi and Inaimathi TSC to read that page, but found that I couldn't read. Please advise. Thanks.

Murugan & Venkat,
Click on the old responses and see the full quote by Mr. Jayamohan. He talks about i.pA. and then states that Adhavan continued the Urban Literature tradition but wasn't as impactful as i.pA. I need to give this further thought, but let me just share this top-of-the-mind question:

By "Urban Literature", Mr. Jayamohan is describing fiction set in a middle to upper middle class background (a metro area is specified mostly but sometimes just implied by the lifestyle.) Populist Literature has been traditionally scorned by Elite Literature as being "Middle class". I wonder if Mr. Jayamohan's statement would hold if populist writers' works are included? Fundamentally, it seems to go back to the question of "What is Literature?" Look forward to your thoughts.

Oldposts
Kanchana,

I think JM is making such statements more for the shock value they have (like 'Jnanakoothan is this century's KALamegam' or 'Vishnupuram is an epic and it has redefined the concepts of novel' etc). Even if JM has a mind block in considering 'middle of the road' writers for their contribution to urban literature, how can he forget Asokamithran (ThaNNEr, 18-avathu atcha kOdu), Neela Padmanabhan (PaLLi Konda Puram), Aa.Madhavan (SAlai kadai theru kadhaigaL) or Prabanchan? (I will attempt to give a detailed list ASAP). IMHO, urban literature in Tamil commenced with 'Sababathi' of Pammal Sammandha Mudhaliar (with a true to life description of Mudaliars of Chennai towards the beginning of the last century). (Or, was it much before, with CilapathikAram?).

More than half of the authors of the current crop are city based - p'haps not by choice (including myself). Be it Dilip Kumar or VaNNA Dasan or Sankara Narayanan or Era.Murugan - we genuinely attempt to focus on the issues we experience as city dwellers and reflect those in our creations. (And literature is not observations and experience alone - it is a much interesting alchemy).

I do not think any writer would start his /her day with a pre determination - 'I am going to pen a rural story now; will have iddly and sambhar for breakfast and then start work on suburban literature before lunch - let me get a copy of the latest city/town/village wise census to make other such clear decisions.."

Oldposts
Murugan,
That is an interesting response. May I add I couldn't help a smile as I read the last part about idli-sambar breakfast and rural-urban writing?

Let's clarify Mr.Jayamohan's position. In that quote, he has said that "there isn't enough of Urban Literature in Tamil". When he talks about Asokamitran in the same book, he classifies his works as Urban Literature too; he seems to have a great regard for Asokamitran's writing. He refers to the aesthetics of Asokamitran's writing as "The Art of Ordinariness" and goes on to talk about how that kernel of profundity is hidden in Asokamitran's deceptively simple but elegant style. About Neela. Padmanabhan's "paLLikoNdapuram": he talks about how Thiruvanandhapuram provides a lively backdrop to the entire novel. A. Madhavan's works which are set in the Thiruvanandhapuram streets are also analyzed in detail. I think he has given credit to the established contributors to Urban Literature, but credits i.pA. as being an important player, and wishes there could be more. At least, that is my take.

Mr. Jayamohan's critique regarding younger generation writers is restricted to what he considers to be contemporary Tamil literature vehicles: the small circulation magazines. You, as a younger generation writer, will have your own opinions on the issue, I'm sure. I, as a reader-consumer of both mass magazines and small circulation magazines, definitely have an opinion on that subject.

Of course, Mr. Jayamohan's literary critique is also restricted to contemporary literature. Yes, cilappathikaaram is an intriguing Urban literary piece; I think the cangka ilakkiyam "paripaadal" may be one of the earliest Urban Literature pieces. Parts of it are poems of worship for Vishnu and your namesake god. The other parts paint a vivid picture of the ancient Madurai and its people. One poem which compares Madurai to an open lotus flower is so delicate and beautiful!

That is a much longer posting than I intended. Your comment about literature/writing being an alchemy is intriguing, and needs to be discussed in detail later.

Oldposts
Kanchana: try with Dinamalar's fonts on Rediff's site. ( http://www.dinamalar.com )

Oldposts
Prof.Indira Parthasarthi's interview with rediff

http://www.rediff.com/tamil/2000/feb/21news6b.htm

Oldposts
sir,

Neengz enna communistAA? don't fear.

Oldposts
I would like to see more interactive interview's with the contemprory literary writer's so that the younger generations is inspired to read and invlolve in the literary writing. I sure this wil bring about a new generation of young writers

Oldposts
Hello Vanakkam every one,

It is interesting to see my favourate author i.Pa's interview on the web and the followed discussions.

How come the best of characters created by i.pa the "Kasthuri's" reference or some discussion not appeared ? and what about "OurangaCheep" ?

Besides my own expectation like the above the whole interview is worth reading. To me i.pa is the most realistic writer of our time. Though many consider him as cinic. Not at all.

You are doing a great job. Keep it up... Expecting interviews of this kind on regular basis with other authors too...

Oldposts
Could Somebody tell me.. if the movie Kurudhippunal is based IP's novel? or is it just a copy of Drokaal.?

Oldposts
kamal just flicked the title. it is a remake of drohkAl. It has got nothing to do with i.pA's novel.

Oldposts
Thanks for having Prof IPs interview. He is one of the best novelist in Tamil. Many a times his short story "Kalla Chakaram" has produced profound effect on me.

Oldposts
"Yes, they're (smoking and drinking) just personal habits, but why is it vulgar behavior? Maybe you are a bit conservative, MR. IP. "

I agree with Udaya. I made the same observation while reading the interview.

Oldposts
I am surprised that Sujatha's writing is not mentioned by IP. His Srirangam stories are as good
as any by Pudumaipithan
Krishnan

Oldposts
hello kanchana it was interesting to see the interview of yours with I.PA. at the same time i would like u to read the novels of srilankan writer mr.s,.ganesalingan. particularly the novel SADANGUGAL .your opinion will be appreciated
mali

Oldposts
It is very dissapointing to read IP's interview which does not mention about Sujatha's writings. He (Sujatha) is the only present writer who mixes traditional Tamil literature with latest science with human touch. He has touched so many fields.

All these so called "Super-Writers" ( including IP, Jeyakanthan, Sunthara Ramasamy etc.)
"remember to forget" when it comes to talk about Sujatha.

Oldposts
Please read the latest article by Mr.Indira Parthasarathy, an endowment lecture on "Social Compulsion and Literary Continuity" here:
http://www.forumhub.com/tlit/ip.html (http://www.forumhub.com/tlit/ip.html
)

Please use this thread to dissect and discuss the observations made by Indira Parthasarathy.

Oldposts
An article of great depth from a a scholar who is well-read and a great thinker.
Some samples of his deep observations and analysis:
1. Look at his observations about how at Kamban's period the concept of monarchy had reversed since the Sangam era.
2. Analysis of kaikkiLaith thiNaip pAdal in kalaiththokai
3. A detached interpretation of the rise of bhakthi movement. Normally one sees description of bhakthi literature as Revival of great Literature (Sujaathaa's writings on Azhvaars works, for example) or as a decadent trend from Pure Dravidian/Sangam culture depending on ones belief system. i.pa. is unusually balaced and non-judgemental though he tries to find causes for the changes in the "social compulsions of literature"
[quote]
"The bhakthi movement, which soon followed, stole the thunder from the opposition, by introducing the concept of a personal God, accessible to everyone, irrespective of one’s caste affiliation and if his heart is full of love for receiving the Divinity
"[endquote]
4. Another thing that is impressing is the seldom quoted second line to "yAdhum UrE yAvarum kELir"
which he explains with modern terminology (I am unfamiliar with them)

AN article of great value any one trying to understand literature, and its relevance, and its history(at least of Thamiz literature)

Oldposts
vanchi, i think the second line is "theedhum nandrum pirar thara vaaraa".

Oldposts
Vanchi,

You should read the complete poem! It packs still more punches!! IP's analysis of Kalithogai is interesting considering what A. K. Ramanujan wrote about the exact same verse.

My Loyola professors have argued that the Bhakti movement was essentially inspired by the Christian concept of love and absolute surrender! But it is quite obvious that the Bhakti saints faithfully follow the Cankam motifs but replace the thalaivan with the Godhead and thalaivi with human souls yearning for union with the Godhead. Contrasted with the didactic texts that dominated before their era, one should say that it was a kind of revival of Tamil classics. Besides, one already sees a rudimentary bhakti idea in the kuravais and varis described by Ilango adigaL in CilapathikAram. ("nArAyaNA ennA nA enna nAvE"!).

As Chandra often says, all through the Tamil literature, starting with Cankam classics to modern movie songs, one can find an undercurrent that is consistent with a certain basic, universal view of life. Works that are true to this theme tend to be preserved in our collective memory. Works that challenge this self-identity provoke introspection.

Oldposts
Thiru. Manivannan:
Can you please tell us the complete poem? Thanks.

I like indira Parthasarathy's article coz it takes lit from the classics to now.Cannot isolate contemporary completely from classics. Sadly I don't know much of classics

Oldposts
venkat, now@toronto
[tscii:b10ea48902]«ó¾ô À¡¼ø

¡Ðõ °§Ã ; ¡ÅÕõ §¸Ç¢÷ ;
¾£Ðõ ¿ýÚõ À¢È÷¾Ã šá ;
§¿¡¾Öõ ¾½¢¾Öõ «Åü§È¡ ÃýÉ ;
º¡¾Öõ ÒÐÅÐ «ý§È ; Å¡ú¾ø
*É¢Ð±É Á¸¢úó¾ýÚõ *ħÁ; ÓɢŢý,
*ýÉ¡ ¦¾ýÈÖõ *ħÁ; ‘Á¢ý¦É¡Î
Å¡Éõ ¾ñÐÇ¢ ¾¨Ä*, ¬É¡Ð
¸ø¦À¡ÕÐ *ÃíÌõ ÁøÄü §À÷¡üÚ
¿£÷ÅÆ¢ô ÀÞ¯õ Ò¨½§À¡Ä, ¬Õ¢÷
Ó¨ÈÅÆ¢ô ÀÞ¯õ’ ±ýÀÐ ¾¢È§Å¡÷
¸¡ðº¢Â¢ý ¦¾Ç¢ó¾Éõ ¬¸Ä¢ý, Á¡ðº¢Â¢ý
¦Àâ§Â¡¨Ã Å¢Âò¾Öõ *ħÁ;
º¢È¢§Â¡¨Ã *¸ú¾ø «¾É¢Ûõ *ħÁ.

<192. ¦Àâ§Â¡÷ º¢È¢§Â¡÷!
À¡ÊÂÅ÷: ¸½¢Âý âíÌýÈý
¾¢¨½: ¦À¡ÐÅ¢Âø ШÈ: ¦À¡Õñ¦Á¡Æ¢ì ¸¡ïº¢ >

*Äź *¨½ôÀ¡¸ ².§¸. áÁ¡ÛƒÉ¢ý ¬í¸¢Ä ¦Á¡Æ¢¦ÀÂ÷ôÒ [/tscii:b10ea48902]

Every town our home town
every man, a kinsman
Good and evil do not come from others
Pain and relief of pain come of themselves
Dying is nothing new
We do not rejoice that life is sweet
nor in anger
call it bitter
Our lives, however dear,
follow their own course,
rafts drifting
in the rapids of a great river
sounding and dashing over rocks
after a down pour
from skies slashed by lightnings -
We know this from the vision
of men who see,
So,
We are not amazed by the great
and we do not scorn the little

translation: A K Ramanujan from: Poems of Love and War

Oldposts
Thnx Venkat for that..starting my day on a note of level headedness, with that beautiful poem and an brilliant poetic xlation by AKR.

How is life in Canada?

Oldposts
Thnx Venkat for that..starting my day on a note of level headedness, with that beautiful poem and a brilliant poetic xlation by AKR.

How is life in Canada?

Oldposts
[tscii:ec98e98323]
G.U.Pope's translation of ¡Ðõ °§Ã ¡ÅÕõ §¸Ç¢÷. AKR's translation is much easier to read than the poderous Victorian language of Pope

The Sages

To us all towns are one, all men our kin,
Life's good comes not from others' gifts, nor ill,
Man's pains and pain's relief are from within,
Death's no new thing, nor do our blossoms thrill
When joyous life seems like a luscious draught.
When grieved, we patient suffer; for, we deem
This much-praised life of ours a fragile raft
Borne down the waters of some mountain stream
That o'er huge boulders roaring seeks the plain
Tho' storms with lightning's flash from darkened skies.
Descend, the raft goes on as fates ordain.
Thus have we seen in visions of the wise !
We marvel not at the greatness of the great;
Still less despise we men of low estate.
(G.U.Pope, 1906)

[/tscii:ec98e98323]

Oldposts
[tscii:123fa33f57]
G.U.Pope's translation of ¡Ðõ °§Ã ¡ÅÕõ §¸Ç¢÷. AKR's translation is much easier to read than the ponderous Victorian language of Pope

The Sages

To us all towns are one, all men our kin,
Life's good comes not from others' gifts, nor ill,
Man's pains and pain's relief are from within,
Death's no new thing, nor do our blossoms thrill
When joyous life seems like a luscious draught.
When grieved, we patient suffer; for, we deem
This much-praised life of ours a fragile raft
Borne down the waters of some mountain stream
That o'er huge boulders roaring seeks the plain
Tho' storms with lightning's flash from darkened skies.
Descend, the raft goes on as fates ordain.
Thus have we seen in visions of the wise !
We marvel not at the greatness of the great;
Still less despise we men of low estate.
(G.U.Pope, 1906)

[/tscii:123fa33f57]

Oldposts
Liked E Paa's article immensely for its simplicity of narration and coherence. Towards the end, he gives the impression of distancing himself from the contemporary literary scene. Also wonder why the article ends rather abruptly.

Like a true teacher, E Paa explains the topic so well and like a true literary person, he leaves room for further discussion and research.

Oldposts
while on AKRamanujan,
also have a look at his "speaking of shiva "- a set of poems translated from kannada - the equivalent of bhakti movement in almost contemporaneous kannada country...
- this selection has greats like basava and akkamma

venkat - your mail id please

- arul

Oldposts
Good evening. I am Anuh, Padma's old friend. i lost touch with her after her divorce as i shifted out of Baroda. I had stayed with you in 1986. my 2 year old daughter had accompanied me. I am very anxious to get in touch with her. please send me her address.I live in Pune now. i will be waiting for your mail.Thank you. Anuh

Oldposts
Good evening. I am Anuh, Padma's old friend. i lost touch with her as i shifted out of Baroda. I had stayed with you in 1986. my 2 year old daughter had accompanied me. I am very anxious to get in touch with her. please send me her address.I live in Pune now. i will be waiting for your mail.Thank you. Anuh

Oldposts
[tscii:35e565c378]vanakkam,

I have recently read IPs play 'kaala iyanthirangal' (Time Machines)

In it there is a reference to a character called 'Nasikethan'. It seems this fellow questioned time-god.

Can some one tell me the mythology behind this character or atleast direct me to a place where I can find out.

Thanks[/tscii:35e565c378]

Oldposts
Great interview, Kanchana. I.Pa's responses are so well-considered and mature.

I just finished reading Jayamohan's Pin Thodarum Nizhalin Kural. And have started reading it again, because it is simply a wondrous piece. Left me immensely awed. Such sophistication and subtlety in writing, thinking, technique. World-class literature.
<a name="last"></a>