PDA

View Full Version : Drop sachin from Test Match

umaramesh
14th March 2006, 01:13 PM
I think he is not at all performing well right from srilankan tour(except one century )and total failure in pakistan and not up to the mark in current tour. He may be very useful in one day cricket where even short innings will turn the match away from the opponents plus his occasional bowling.

ramesh

S.Balaji
14th March 2006, 01:31 PM
Sachin has another 4 years left out ....

but what I wonder is the way, he has changed his approach...

He has achieved everything in life .....he can play more aggressively now as he has no pressure at all......

Probably the team management would have suggested him to play a more supportive role

but we fans are going to miss the entertainment..... if Sachin continues to play lik e what he used to during his early years....we can see another VIVIAN RICHARDS.....like innings....

but this may not happen...as he has become very defensive in his approach....

gaddeswarup
14th March 2006, 02:19 PM
I am biased. Sachin gave us so much pleasure, pride and satisfaction (with the possible exception of Dhyan Chand), I would say that we should leave it to him the choice of quitting. I do not know how he took all that pressure when we did not have so many talented players. For the time being, I think Sehwag and Haribajan Singh are in a more susceptible position.
Swarup

S.Balaji
14th March 2006, 03:21 PM
Gddeswarup...

In today's commercial world, there is no ground for emotions....
Look what happened to Steve Waugh and Mark waugh ....or for that matter Micheal Bevan....
Or for that matter the great Mathew Hayden ! the monster....

Aussies are building a team for world cup and he is out already....

and Martin is another class player who is being closely watched !

Lets learn from Aussies

umaramesh
14th March 2006, 03:36 PM
Balaji
You remember steve was ask to lead only Test matches. He even said I wil try to bounce back in one day squad. That is the scene prevailing in Australia. We still talking about Ganguly return. :lol:
Right time sachin should quit from Test matches and make a way for kaif/yuvaraj. Hope MR.Greg Chappell will put pressure, otherwise he is very biased towards Ganguly.
ramesh

Sanguine Sridhar
14th March 2006, 03:40 PM
Tendulkar is a legend.It would be embarrassing for the team management to drop him.He is a phoenix..He can come up at anytime.We will wait patiently. :(

selvakumar
14th March 2006, 04:34 PM
Tendulkar is a legend.It would be embarrassing for the team management to drop him.He is a phoenix..He can come up at anytime.We will wait patiently. :(

ya.. Even I saw many goons telling the same before 2003 world cup.. At that time those people said We have sehwag.. then why should we have sachin :lol:

But in the 2003 world cup THE LION PLAYED THE GAME, BY RISING LIKE A PHOENIX AND LEFT THE MOUSES TO REMAIN AS A SILENT SPECTATOR

S.Balaji
14th March 2006, 05:02 PM
Selvakumar and Sanguine

Its a harsh truth that of late Sachin is not that consistent ....especially the crunch situation....
the champion stuff in him ( i mean the sharjah aussie finals ) is missing now a days which makes every one to wonder whether he is the same old Sachin
Sachin himself admits that he has been asked to play a very supportive role as a senior member...

Can you guys come out with any match for the last 2 years that Sachin either saved a match or won on his own...

whereas Yuvraj has improved by leaps and bounds and is showing maturity at highest level to perform

WHen it comes to Sachin somehow we all get emotional ........

I wonder why the same treatment is not meted out to Ganguly as well...

after all Ganguly has scored tons of runs in one dayers and in my opinion , at times was even better than Sachin as regards one day matches.....

here comes a prejudice and biased opinion ...on one personality and emotional attachment on other ...which is not fair ...

ajithfederer
18th March 2006, 10:54 PM
Well in my humble opinion Sachin has matured a lot and he has played international cricket for over 15 years till now. He is definitely not the same sachin as before but he can do a very good supporting role to the youngsters and he can provide an attacking role then and there when needed..i don think he should be dropped from the test squadwhich according to me is a bit harsh..

Sanguine Sridhar
19th March 2006, 09:43 AM
AF ... I accept with you...!

Thiru
19th March 2006, 08:50 PM
[tscii:56239598d9]Demi-god’ Sachin gets boos from fans
Sunday, 19 March , 2006, 19:14
Mumbai: The unthinkable happened on Sunday: Sachin Tendulkar was booed by cricket fans on his home ground, during a Test match that is a landmark in his illustrious career.

Anguish writ large on his face, his eyes downcast, the batting legend walked back to the Indian dressing room at the Wankhede Stadium after yet another failure out in the middle.

He had flirted with disaster by nicking James Anderson to the wicketkeeper after making one run when India needed all his batting skills to fight out England in the third and final Test.

Loud boos resounded in the packed stadium from the fans who for years have treated him like a demi-god. "Tendulkar is like a god in India," Australian opener Matthew Hayden had written five years ago.

In this Test match, his 132nd, Tendulkar became the most capped Indian player in history. It was a special occasion but he had nothing special to offer.[/tscii:56239598d9]

gaddeswarup
22nd March 2006, 02:33 AM
Interesting article about Sachin:
http://www.samachar.com/showurl.htm?rurl=http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1655842,00010001.htm?headline=Let~Sachin~Tendu lkar~be,~let~him~choose

umaramesh
22nd March 2006, 04:01 PM
BYE SACHIN. Have a nice holiday. Better concentrate on hotel business.

ramesh

Nakeeran
29th July 2006, 12:32 AM
[tscii:49e0162987]Sanjay Manjrekar recently commented about Sachin's injuries & this has created lot of furore amongst cricketing circles.

Lets see what Jha has to say :

Just a few days ago I bumped against the affable, ever-smiling and ubiquitous Sanjay Manjrekar, who looked as if he could have been auditioning for a role in a TV serial. Looking like a cool dude in faded jeans and uncharacteristically long curls, the former cricketer was bursting with his trademark kinetic enthusiasm. As I read his column on Sachin Tendulkar the very next day, I had a sense of déjà vu. Here goes another eulogistic piece on the ageing maestro welcoming him back with the usual exaggerated lionizing that only we desperate Indians constantly on the look-out for superheroes can do with such remarkable finesse. I was therefore surprised to read a refreshingly candid piece , written with an insight that cannot be easily attributed to many former cricketers, who usually get their pieces written by fictitious ghost-writers possessing none of the enterprise of a certain Captain Jack Sparrow.

Not surprisingly, the week-end reading this rainy Sunday in Mumbai was so vastly entertaining, I have got to personally message Manjrekar with tons of gratitude. I read the reactions of several cricketers in the print media , and conscientiously followed some other experts on TV programs; and they all uttered the standard gibberish and diplomatic claptrap; " Sachin is Sachin. And Manjrekar should have known better than to make wild personal allegations against India's prized national treasure. What utter nonsense " etc etc. . Frankly, it was all humbug and hullabaloo for nothing.

Here are my succinct observations on another needless Sachin controversy:

1) I think 90% of those grim faced veterans had not even read the article.

2) Many of them responded to questions posed to them as if India was about to stage a nuclear war against China and Pakistan combined ? They predictably buckled and played safe.

3) In fact, Sanjay Manjrekar was actually giving Sachin Tendulkar a fabulously embarrassing compliment; he was stating that even a half-fit Sachin can create magical history on the cricket ground. Now if you are a Sachin fan, why would that offend you, pal?

4) Manjrekar stated that with diminishing physical prowess it is inevitable that a player's reflexes slow down , so Sachin should stop putting an uncalled for pressure on himself on top of the already humongous public expectations ! Now tell me , how is that a prejudiced and malevolent perception? If at all, as a former colleague he was giving Tendya some honest heart-to- heart stuff; something that probably NO ONE does, as most Indians treat Sachin as infallible, god-like and sacrosanct. To rubbish the honourable PM Manmohan Singh on public disinvestment policy is an acceptable form of national behaviour; to tell Sachin to take risks in the December of his career is like committing a religious sacrilege. What shit ( I have been following George Bush, as you might have guessed) !

) Manjrekar has appropriately given the towering example of none other than Brian Lara who has had to reinvent himself and adapt his stroke play at 36, but who still remains an ominous threat and a dangerous opponent. Now why should that offend our self-inflated pundits and fraudulent gurus ?

6) And it is downright juvenile to insinuate that Sanjay has alleged that Sachin has been fudging injuries. What unadulterated crap is that? On the contrary , Manjrekar states that Sachin has been over-reacting to his injuries as he is obsessed with attaining 100% fitness levels which at this crucial stage of his career and after 17 years of wear, bear and tear may be a trifle naïve to expect. In short, Manjrekar states that Sachin should learn to live and play with niggles and minor nuts and bolts repairs. Anything wrong with that view?

7) I think the most stupid part of this silly episode was the bizarre reaction of Sachin himself, as he sounded sulky, petulant and peeved. But whatever for? I think Sachin has got over-sensitive and gets easily provoked these days. A player of his international caliber should both welcome and be able to handle a blatantly biased criticism as well as constructive feedback. I think Sanjay's comments have been incorrectly interpreted and completely misunderstood; either it reflects that Sachin has developed a deep disdain for outside opinions or he is somewhat ill-equipped to distinguish the wheat from the chaff.

Bottom-line, I think we Indians should stop being obsequious about Sachin Tendulkar. If anyone says anything remotely critical of the Little Master he is treated like a turd or a vicious creature with anti-national intent. I am surprised no one has accused Sanjay Manjrekar of the Mumbai blasts or filed a PIL against him. It is time we Indians grew up! And so did Sachin Tendulkar!

I THINK, ANY NEWS ABOUT SACHIN , EVEN TODAY CREATES SENSATION ! :twisted:

[/tscii:49e0162987]

Nakeeran
29th July 2006, 12:39 AM
[tscii:7c0814a9de]Sanjay Manjrekar recently commented about Sachin's injuries & this has created lot of furore amongst cricketing circles.

Just a few days ago I bumped against the affable, ever-smiling and ubiquitous Sanjay Manjrekar, who looked as if he could have been auditioning for a role in a TV serial. Looking like a cool dude in faded jeans and uncharacteristically long curls, the former cricketer was bursting with his trademark kinetic enthusiasm. As I read his column on Sachin Tendulkar the very next day, I had a sense of déjà vu. Here goes another eulogistic piece on the ageing maestro welcoming him back with the usual exaggerated lionizing that only we desperate Indians constantly on the look-out for superheroes can do with such remarkable finesse. I was therefore surprised to read a refreshingly candid piece , written with an insight that cannot be easily attributed to many former cricketers, who usually get their pieces written by fictitious ghost-writers possessing none of the enterprise of a certain Captain Jack Sparrow.

Not surprisingly, the week-end reading this rainy Sunday in Mumbai was so vastly entertaining, I have got to personally message Manjrekar with tons of gratitude. I read the reactions of several cricketers in the print media , and conscientiously followed some other experts on TV programs; and they all uttered the standard gibberish and diplomatic claptrap; " Sachin is Sachin. And Manjrekar should have known better than to make wild personal allegations against India's prized national treasure. What utter nonsense " etc etc. . Frankly, it was all humbug and hullabaloo for nothing.

2) Many of them responded to questions posed to them as if India was about to stage a nuclear war against China and Pakistan combined ? They predictably buckled and played safe.

3) In fact, Sanjay Manjrekar was actually giving Sachin Tendulkar a fabulously embarrassing compliment; he was stating that even a half-fit Sachin can create magical history on the cricket ground. Now if you are a Sachin fan, why would that offend you, pal?

4) Manjrekar stated that with diminishing physical prowess it is inevitable that a player's reflexes slow down , so Sachin should stop putting an uncalled for pressure on himself on top of the already humongous public expectations ! Now tell me , how is that a prejudiced and malevolent perception? If at all, as a former colleague he was giving Tendya some honest heart-to- heart stuff; something that probably NO ONE does, as most Indians treat Sachin as infallible, god-like and sacrosanct. To rubbish the honourable PM Manmohan Singh on public disinvestment policy is an acceptable form of national behaviour; to tell Sachin to take risks in the December of his career is like committing a religious sacrilege. What shit ( I have been following George Bush, as you might have guessed) !

) Manjrekar has appropriately given the towering example of none other than Brian Lara who has had to reinvent himself and adapt his stroke play at 36, but who still remains an ominous threat and a dangerous opponent. Now why should that offend our self-inflated pundits and fraudulent gurus ?

6) And it is downright juvenile to insinuate that Sanjay has alleged that Sachin has been fudging injuries. What unadulterated crap is that? On the contrary , Manjrekar states that Sachin has been over-reacting to his injuries as he is obsessed with attaining 100% fitness levels which at this crucial stage of his career and after 17 years of wear, bear and tear may be a trifle naïve to expect. In short, Manjrekar states that Sachin should learn to live and play with niggles and minor nuts and bolts repairs. Anything wrong with that view?

7) I think the most stupid part of this silly episode was the bizarre reaction of Sachin himself, as he sounded sulky, petulant and peeved. But whatever for? I think Sachin has got over-sensitive and gets easily provoked these days. A player of his international caliber should both welcome and be able to handle a blatantly biased criticism as well as constructive feedback. I think Sanjay's comments have been incorrectly interpreted and completely misunderstood; either it reflects that Sachin has developed a deep disdain for outside opinions or he is somewhat ill-equipped to distinguish the wheat from the chaff.

Bottom-line, I think we Indians should stop being obsequious about Sachin Tendulkar. If anyone says anything remotely critical of the Little Master he is treated like a turd or a vicious creature with anti-national intent. I am surprised no one has accused Sanjay Manjrekar of the Mumbai blasts or filed a PIL against him. It is time we Indians grew up! And so did Sachin Tendulkar!

[/tscii:7c0814a9de]

Nakeeran
29th July 2006, 12:41 AM
[tscii:ff59b4108b]Sanjay Manjrekar recently commented about Sachin's injuries & this has created lot of furore amongst cricketing circles.

[/tscii:ff59b4108b]

nilavupriyan
29th July 2006, 09:45 AM
lets see what sachin has got now in his bag for everyone after 15 years of cricket...

nilavupriyan
29th July 2006, 09:47 AM
i want scahin to continue his test matches where one could gain his form!..

one day is pressure...test matches can improve the form of a batsmen..

truly..i want him to play tests to break the most important record

Nakeeran
29th July 2006, 01:05 PM

True Nilavu

He has some more left out in tests for sure. One day, not sure as there are too many strikers now - Viru, Dhoni, Pathan, Yuvi etc & Sachin can play a better role in tests but every match of his may delay the prospects of some up coming youngster. :cry:

Nakeeran
29th July 2006, 01:10 PM

True Nilavu

He has some more left out in tests for sure. One day, not sure as there are too many strikers now - Viru, Dhoni, Pathan, Yuvi etc & Sachin can play a better role in tests but every match of his may delay the prospects of some up coming youngster. :cry:

nilavupriyan
29th July 2006, 01:40 PM
see...sachin has never been a burden to team like some totally formless players!

he always plays a good role in every series..but the thing is not upto his mark...so why should he be dropped?

Nakeeran
29th July 2006, 01:55 PM
see...sachin has never been a burden to team like some totally formless players!

he always plays a good role in every series..but the thing is not upto his mark...so why should he be dropped?

Probably , he can continue up to worldcup & then be selective - to play only tests . Here u have the time & patience to build an innings. Definitely Sachin can add stability if Dravid fails .
This process should continue until we find a sold guy who can stabilize the middle order ( I mean 2 down slot )

But who can fill in the void of Sachin ! :cry: That guy should be very aggressive, attacking , destructive & matchwinner !
If at all Yuvi can be more consistent !!! :oops:

selvakumar
29th July 2006, 02:10 PM
Already I have seen enough of SACHIN bashing in this section of the hub and Comparison of Sachin with Yuvraj, VS and Kaif.

IN order to preserve the very spirit of this wonderful sport and the amount of contributions, wear and tear, pain that this genius has given / faced, I want to keep myself out of this section. I don't want to see many ruthless comments bashing the Genius.

P.S: BTW, It is my personal decision

MADDY
30th July 2006, 06:59 AM
Drop Sachin and then?? keep nincompoops like yuvraj and kaif?? hayyo hayyo...........do u guys know saurav in his worst patch has better average than yuvraj and kaif.........and how many runs can yuvi/kaif save in test with their fielding??

bring back saurav and never even think of dropping sachin now....

Rahul,Sachin,Saurav,Laxman will be the best middle-order in the world.......

nilavupriyan
30th July 2006, 09:31 AM
Drop Sachin and then?? keep nincompoops like yuvraj and kaif?? hayyo hayyo...........do u guys know saurav in his worst patch has better average than yuvraj and kaif.........and how many runs can yuvi/kaif save in test with their fielding??

exactly..they must bring back ganguly in test matches

selvakumar
30th July 2006, 11:12 AM

Maddy,
If we say the truth, the master will be degraded much more. :( I won't be surprised if they compare him to Kumble.. Who knows.. They might do it ! I am sure :(

manuel
1st August 2006, 02:57 PM
sachin is a legend and he will continue to command respect internationally anytime. He in his 30's and he definitely cannot do what he did 5 years back .... but by any standards he is far ahead, than the rest of the young cricketers................

Even now if you compare him with sehwag .. sachin has never went through a lean patch continuously for such a long time in the last 17 years of his illustriuos career ... ....sehwag already seems to be showing weariness in his game he is just few years in to international cricket.

ne ways after such a long lay off, sachin seems to be raring to go, he has already scored few hundreds in the exhibition matches in england . seems it would be a great come back for sachin and happier days for cricket lovers all over the world.

Nakeeran
1st August 2006, 04:42 PM

exactly..they must bring back ganguly in test matches

Ganguly for 1dayers will be a better option . He can carry on for atleast 2 years & then call it a day . He does that acceleration well during slog while maintains the momentum during mid overs. In tests, he is still suspect against Short pitch deliveries :cry:

but why step brotherly treatment to Ganguly while there is no such thoughts being applied on Sachin. Both stand in equal footing as regards 1 dayers. :evil:

The ridiculous politics in Indian cricket will never die :evil:

Nakeeran
1st August 2006, 04:51 PM
sachin is a legend and he will continue to command respect internationally anytime. He in his 30's and he definitely cannot do what he did 5 years back .... but by any standards he is far ahead, than the rest of the young cricketers................

Even now if you compare him with sehwag .. sachin has never went through a lean patch continuously for such a long time in the last 17 years of his illustriuos career ... ....sehwag already seems to be showing weariness in his game he is just few years in to international cricket.

ne ways after such a long lay off, sachin seems to be raring to go, he has already scored few hundreds in the exhibition matches in england . seems it would be a great come back for sachin and happier days for cricket lovers all over the world.

No need to heap any further praises on Sachin :D He is another genius beyond doubt.
What we fail to realise however is that , unlike Australia, we tend to become very emotional when it comes to great players & follow them blindly despite their advancing age & the shortcomings that develop in them over a period of time .
Do you think that Sachin , as a captain , has contributed better than Steve Waugh ? But the true Aussies that they are, they forced him to retire ( steve would have continued for another 1 year atleast ) . IMO, Steve is one of the greatest ever players in cricket history.
When players of Steve's class are being treated PROFESSIONALLY, why cant we apply the same yardstick to our great players also.

If I say this, I become a BASHER :lol:

nilavupriyan
1st August 2006, 06:35 PM
nakeera..sachin has his time!..

steve waugh retired after 36 and he had been out of form like sachin many times...in fact sachin is consistent than steve waugh.....

he is just 32...we just need his physical fitness...he had the talent and technique unlike sourav or others who find it difficult to get to form as they lack technique like sachin and dravid!

selvakumar
1st August 2006, 06:47 PM
Do you think that Sachin , as a captain , has contributed better than Steve Waugh ? But the true Aussies that they are, they forced him to retire ( steve would have continued for another 1 year atleast ) . IMO, Steve is one of the greatest ever players in cricket history.
When players of Steve's class are being treated PROFESSIONALLY, why cant we apply the same yardstick to our great players also.

Yes.. Sachin in not a successful captain when compared to even any young gun doing the same job !
Ofcourse.. Aussies replaced Steve.. But I can't understand your double standard for GANGULY AND STEVE.. You call STEVE's explusion as professionalism whereas the case of GANGULY AS injustice. Steve was DISGRACED with that.. GANGULY deserved such things since he was hanging like a lizard without doing anything. Atleast, SACHIN had a reason .. I mean fitness and he pulled him out manytimes. But GANGULY even with fitness, lacked technique etc and hanged on with his past glory.. That is why selectors prefer SACHIN all the time even though he is not as aggressive as he was in the past. But he is still consistent.. Wheras you can't expect the same from souvav atleast then. !

BTW, If u think SOURAV's expulsion is injustice, I am not sure what made u to coin STEVE'S EXPULSION AS PROFESSIONALISM.. Steve was degraded to the core just after the VB Series.. when the entire team failed and only STEVE was made as scapegoat !

IF we say this, You will bash us with words like BLIND PEOPLE, HERO WORKSHIPPING ETC..

manuel
1st August 2006, 09:49 PM

Accepted!!
Sachin was not a great captain :-- Great players need not necessarily be great leaders..... and he himself has accepted the fact that captaincy did not go well with him.

Not exactly -
Steve is one of the greatest player in cricket history - He definitely is a "GREAT" player in cricket history but not "GREATEST". The differrence between sachin and steve is quite big ..... Sachin is technically more correct batsman and could dominate any attack in any playing conditions.. this however cannot be said for steve waugh, what makes steve great is the application of his skills, mental toughness, lead the team from the front ...much like Rahul Dravid ...

Unlike steve Sachin has always played under tremondous pressure ..he has always carried huge expectations of a million people in our country which started right from his first series in 1989 ..continuously for so many years now ..... In contrast Steve's brother mark was the most favoured cricketer among the australians.. it took few years for steve to prove his worth in the australian team.

On another note -
If we say steve was a great captain .. what we often overlook is the fact that he was backed by some intelligent people i mean the Aussie cricket administrators & also their media which was with him through the thick and thins and it made things easier for him to work on ground and they could think of dropping him at a point and still go on to win the next world cup..
This is not so with indian cricket ..we drop some key player and we will be defated against bangladesh.

Whatever steve is, he has earned through his hardwork and commitment to the game where as sachin most of the cricket flambouyance is natural to him but he also managed to keep his focus on the game so may years .. Therefore when sachin retires he would be a legend and not just great player.

Nakeeran
2nd August 2006, 12:02 AM

Yes.. Sachin in not a successful captain when compared to even any young gun doing the same job !
Ofcourse.. Aussies replaced Steve.. But I can't understand your double standard for GANGULY AND STEVE.. You call STEVE's explusion as professionalism whereas the case of GANGULY AS injustice. Steve was DISGRACED with that.. GANGULY deserved such things since he was hanging like a lizard without doing anything. Atleast, SACHIN had a reason .. I mean fitness and he pulled him out manytimes. But GANGULY even with fitness, lacked technique etc and hanged on with his past glory.. That is why selectors prefer SACHIN all the time even though he is not as aggressive as he was in the past. But he is still consistent.. Wheras you can't expect the same from souvav atleast then. !

BTW, If u think SOURAV's expulsion is injustice, I am not sure what made u to coin STEVE'S EXPULSION AS PROFESSIONALISM.. Steve was degraded to the core just after the VB Series.. when the entire team failed and only STEVE was made as scapegoat !

IF we say this, You will bash us with words like BLIND PEOPLE, HERO WORKSHIPPING ETC..

Selvakumar Sir

You havent read clearly where I wish Ganguly is continued - ITS FOR THE 1 DAYERS where even with a limitation on technique ( i mean the short pitched deliveries ) ganguly is still the champion & even was better than Sachin in 1 dayers.
DEFINITELY , NOT CONSIDERING GANGULY FOR 1DAYERS IS A CARDINAL SIN AS HE HAD THE STUFF TO GO UP TO THE WORLD CUP & PROBABLY 1 YEAR AFTER THAT & THEN LOOK FOR RETIREMENT.

When the question was posed on Kiran More as to why Ganguly was not considered - WE ARE LOOKING FOR YOUNGSTERS TO GROOM :lol: If that is the motto, then why even Sachin FOR 1 DAYERS . Let Sachin be considered for the tests .
LET SOME DESERVING YOUNGSTER BE GIVEN A CHANCE .

I dont mind even losing the worldcup without Sachin but EXPECTING SACHIN TO PERFORM AS A MATCHWINNER IN 2007 WORLD CUP MEANS THE SELECTORS HAVE TURNED A BLIND EYE

Definitely, a political game had been clearly played on Ganguly. He is the best ever captain we have had in our History & it was Ganguly who was instrumental in BRINGING A NEW LOOK INDIAN AGGRESSIVE TEAM WHICH WAS KILLED VIRTUALLY BY SACHIN

Coming to Steve's case :

When one of the greatest ever players in the history of cricket was treated LIKE ANY OTHER PLAYER - MR. WAUGH - PL HANG UP YOUR BOOTS was the gentle message given before the Indian series & he took sportingly eventhough he could have continued for atleast 3 years ( steve was 37 at that time ) .
THIS SHOWS THE LATERAL APPROACH OF THE AUSSIE SELECTORS WHILE INDIANS ALWAYS THINK EMOTIONALLY WHEN IT COMES TO GREAT PLAYERS
EXPECTING A MIRACLE :evil:

Nakeeran
2nd August 2006, 12:16 AM
[quote="manuel
Accepted!!
Sachin was not a great captain :-- Great players need not necessarily be great leaders..... and he himself has accepted the fact that captaincy did not go well with him.

Not exactly -
Steve is one of the greatest player in cricket history - He definitely is a "GREAT" player in cricket history but not "GREATEST". The differrence between sachin and steve is quite big ..... Sachin is technically more correct batsman and could dominate any attack in any playing conditions.. this however cannot be said for steve waugh, what makes steve great is the application of his skills, mental toughness, lead the team from the front ...much like Rahul Dravid ...

Unlike steve Sachin has always played under tremondous pressure ..he has always carried huge expectations of a million people in our country which started right from his first series in 1989 ..continuously for so many years now ..... In contrast Steve's brother mark was the most favoured cricketer among the australians.. it took few years for steve to prove his worth in the australian team.

On another note -
If we say steve was a great captain .. what we often overlook is the fact that he was backed by some intelligent people i mean the Aussie cricket administrators & also their media which was with him through the thick and thins and it made things easier for him to work on ground and they could think of dropping him at a point and still go on to win the next world cup..
This is not so with indian cricket ..we drop some key player and we will be defated against bangladesh.

Whatever steve is, he has earned through his hardwork and commitment to the game where as sachin most of the cricket flambouyance is natural to him but he also managed to keep his focus on the game so may years .. Therefore when sachin retires he would be a legend and not just great player.[/quote]

Manuel

You have done a nice analysis on Steve but pl remember that STEVE HAD PLAYED MORE MORE MATCH WINNING / MATCH SAVING KNOCKS .
If my memory serves right, MOST OF STEVE's CENTURIES HAVE BEEN EITHER MATCH WINNING / SAVING .
Its pure admiration towards our Sachin which makes us feel that others are secondary / ordinary mortals while SACHIN IS A GOD .

Steve was one of the most consistent batsmen in the world during his days & had proved time & again by scoring RUNS WHEN THEY WERE NEEDED THE MOST.

Pl dont forget that pre semi innings in 99 worldcup after Gibbs dropped a catch ! . Often his innings have decisively turned a match .

One factor which makes Sachin better than Steve was GRACE . While Sachin had all the shots in the book & looks very attractive , Steve was more of run accumulator which may not look that impressive from a connoseur's point of view but they were all worthy runs .

Mark was more classy when compared to Steve but Steve was gutsy & won more matches for Aussies than Mark. The ultimate average of Steve was higher than Mark :D

Justice
2nd August 2006, 02:19 AM
-Deleted-

nilavupriyan
2nd August 2006, 09:06 AM
another thing.....steve waugh captained a great team...but sourav made indian team a good team!

selvakumar
2nd August 2006, 09:46 AM
another thing.....steve waugh captained a great team...but sourav made indian team a good team!

No.. Nilavu... Steve had his own troubles. But he lead from the front. Just compare Mark Taylor's captaincy and Steve's.
Even GOD himself acknowledges that SW was always an inspiration for young minds like him.
Definitly After CLIVE, it is SW who is the best captain IMO and Sourav too got the inspiration from him. But he did it with his own style without following him exactly like Ponting !
P.S: just remember the innings of 1999 WC Semi Finals and SW's last match against India !

nilavupriyan
2nd August 2006, 09:59 AM

No.. Nilavu... Steve had his own troubles. But he lead from the front. Just compare Mark Taylor's captaincy and Steve's.
Even GOD himself acknowledges that SW was always an inspiration for young minds like him.
Definitly After CLIVE, it is SW who is the best captain IMO and Sourav too got the inspiration from him. But he did it with his own style without following him exactly like Ponting !
P.S: just remember the innings of 1999 WC Semi Finals and SW's last match against India !

i just said abt the team selva...its after ganguly's captaincy we became a great team in one-days and won a test match in australia etc etc!...

steve waugh is always known for playing a captain's innings!wjho can forget his semifinal innings...awesome!

i just mean that its ganguly who helped shewag,harbaja,yuvaraj and kaif to play international matches...he formed a new team!

manuel
2nd August 2006, 10:28 AM
Steve like Rahul Dravid have played a lot of match winning innings, he has saved lot of test matches, have been involved in great partnerships in the history of cricket.

Aussies were quick in finding steve's skills and gave him the captaincy so he proved his worth....while rahul dravid had to wait for his turn (better late than never).

Whatever said and done Sachin is in a differrent league than other contemporary players like Steve, Inzamam-ul-haq and so on.

Steve at best, can be compared with Rahul Dravid and not with sachin.

Justice
2nd August 2006, 11:04 AM

:rotfl:

It should read this way "Dravid at best can be compared to S Waugh."

manuel
2nd August 2006, 11:17 AM

:rotfl:

It should read this way "Dravid at best can be compared to S Waugh."

Point Taken !!

Steve has already conquered and left his mark ... where dravid is trying to reach and surpass.

manuel
2nd August 2006, 11:21 AM
check this link, its interesting

http://www.lgiccrankings.com/icc_php/test/player-comparison-results.php?id=1905&id2=1644&match_type=Test&stat_type=1&mode=2

http://www.lgiccrankings.com/icc_php/odi/player-comparison-results.php?id=1905&id2=1644&match_type=ODI&stat_type=1&mode=2

wrap07
6th March 2008, 11:01 PM
Sachin has been the torch bearer and star of Indian cricket for long. No one can dispute that. He is a class of his own.

Unfortunately, there are some unsung heroes in our team most importantly Rahul Dravid who is down to earth attitude in spite
of playing so many crucial innings is to be lauded. he Was the Wall of our teams for quite some time. But, he was never given
his due. His present struggle is not due to cricketing technique
but obvious reasons which may be well understood.

Apart from Sunil, the most complete and accomplished batsman, technically is Rahul dravid. However, he is not a star just a performer.

karthik_sa2
15th March 2008, 04:47 AM
drop this thread from the forum first

steveaustin
15th March 2008, 06:13 PM
Sachin has been the torch bearer and star of Indian cricket for long. No one can dispute that. He is a class of his own.

Unfortunately, there are some unsung heroes in our team most importantly Rahul Dravid who is down to earth attitude in spite
of playing so many crucial innings is to be lauded. he Was the Wall of our teams for quite some time. But, he was never given
his due. His present struggle is not due to cricketing technique
but obvious reasons which may be well understood.

Apart from Sunil, the most complete and accomplished batsman, technically is Rahul dravid. However, he is not a star just a performer.

:exactly: