PDA

View Full Version : MSS, One of the best singers in India, died.

Surya
12th December 2004, 06:44 AM
MS SUBBULAKSMI,
One of the best Carnatic singers in the History of Indian Singers passes away.

http://www.rediff.com/style/1998/jan/20ms.htm?headline=Subbulakshmi:~Songbird~in~spring time

She was the best, Carnatic, Devotional, singer.
I thought that she was the best at Sanskrit and Tamil. :( Sad News.

hehehewalrus
12th December 2004, 08:02 AM
Really a great loss to the classical music fraternity :(

I recollect with fond memory when she came to my school Annual Day in 1989 to inagurate a statue with rendition of Bhaja Govindam.

Gandhiji invited MS to sing Vaishnavo Janato on Independence Day 1947.

Here is MS at the UNO concert in 1966 with Ghatam Vinayak Ram and Lalgudi Jayaraman.
http://sun.science.wayne.edu/~vhari/ms/MSimage/unc.jpg

Querida
12th December 2004, 10:45 AM
well Surya I too agree that MS was a wonderful singer...but your poll is not fair...her talents pitted against everyone else's? Im sure her fans dont have to favour her over another...they all have their special places illaya? :D

viggop
12th December 2004, 11:03 AM
Yes.M.S. passing away is very sad.Her Vishnu Sahasranamam and Bhaja Govindam cassette is supposed to be the best selling cassette for over 40 years.

Surya
12th December 2004, 11:56 AM
Well, my opinion is that she is better than Sudha Ragunathan, and Nithyashree. The emotions that I feel when I hear her sing, I don't feel, when the other ones do.

Espicially devotion ones.
Here's a list of her real good ones.
Sudha Brahma Parathpara Ram...... When I first heard her sing this, I got goosebumps, sometimes when you get very emotional, you get goosebumps right? Like that.

And Hanuman Chalisa was mindblowing. I've heard I think, Nityashree, not sure, sing Hanuman Chalisa, and its not even half as good. MSS has done some very good tamil ones also, for ex: Kurai Ondrum Illai... was by her which was amazing.

Don't take me wrong, I think that the new singers are also good and very talented, but just not as good when compared to MSS when she was in her Prime. :)

Just like saying that Vikram is a good actor, but nothing compared to someone like Shivaji or Kamal when they was in their prime. :)

Regards. 8)

Surya
12th December 2004, 12:38 PM
Her Vishnu Sahasranamam and Bhaja Govindam cassette is supposed to be the best selling cassette for over 40 years.

Her voice is enchanting, and her poruncation of Sanskrit is or shoudl I say 'was' perfect. :cry: But she stopped singing after her husband died right?

Well, hopefully we will have someone with a voice like her's again.

viggop
12th December 2004, 01:01 PM
Surya
As Querida said,it is not correct to compare like this. Carnatic music,in my opinion, is associated with Bhakthi.People experience Bhakthi through it.
It does not matter who sings it as long it takes you closer to God.
Listening to carnatic music takes away hate,anger and other base things when you immerse yourself in it.

I think modern carnatic musicians experiment more.They are not bound by strict tradition as yesteryear artistes were.

geno
12th December 2004, 08:03 PM
I haven't been a huge fan of MS but i should admit that her voice in songs like her "kARRinilE varum geetham" in her film "meera" and her rendition of "Vaishnava janato" have charmed me - just by the sheer dedication and mesmerism that her voice exuded.

Born in a community - which was socially "isolated" - her ascension as one of the most well-known musical legends of india - was meteoric and historical.

The United Front govt.(1996-1998) under I.K.Gujral awarded her "Bharath Ratna" (along with C. Subramaniyam & APJ Abdul Kalam) in the year 1997 - which was a great honor - in accordance with her exalted status as "Isaikuyil" of india.

A great renderer who evoked awe and admiration of Jawaharlal Nehru and Mahatma Gandhi - MS indeed, was a precious gem to the world of indian music.

indian_tamil
12th December 2004, 09:25 PM
Vishnu sahasranamam and Suprabhatam by MSS demolishes the
myth that only brahmins can have mastery over sanskrit.
Listening to her Suprabhatam daily morning is as ritual
as drinking a kapee.

viggop
12th December 2004, 10:45 PM
M.S. was also the first woman to receive the Prestigious Sangeetha Kalanidhi award from Music Academy.The judges who recommended her name was Semmagudi Srinivasa Iyer(her own guru) and Musiri Subrahmanya Iyer(another carnatic music great).
She learnt padams and javali's from Brinda(of Brinda-Muktha fame) along with Semmagudi.I also heard that she had a Bengali as her guru to teach her Bengali music.

Sad that Semmagudi too passed away this year at the age of 95.

Surya
12th December 2004, 11:00 PM
Vishnu sahasranamam and Suprabhatam by MSS demolishes the
myth that only brahmins can have mastery over sanskrit.
Listening to her Suprabhatam daily morning is as ritual
as drinking a kapee.

Thats a gr8 point! :)

viggop
13th December 2004, 12:42 PM
President Abdul Kalam's poem on MS

http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/dec/13ms.htm

Cindy
13th December 2004, 03:31 PM
Surya... Comparing Sudha and Nitya with MSS????

Both of them must be worshipping MSS as their Guru or above that... and a comparison between the Guru and Sishya?

dont u think this poll is unnecessary?

NOV
13th December 2004, 05:38 PM
I agree with most people here that MSS is beyond comparison and that the poll is really unnecessary. So, it is deleted. Sorry.

Surya
14th December 2004, 12:40 AM
I was starting to feel that too. There are a couple people I know that don't like MSS. :roll: So I thought there might be some of those people in the forum. I was wrong fortunatly.

Regards. 8)

Ghlli
16th December 2004, 06:29 AM
What was the poll?

I havne't heard her music that much. Just the morning suprabatham, since my amma puts them on the CD player every morning, so I'm not that saddened. But my amma was so saddened that she cried the next day, when she put suprabatham, heaing her voice.

Surya
16th December 2004, 07:17 AM
Ghilli,
The poll was comparing MSS & the singers today.

Yeah, it was very sad news. :cry:

viggop
16th December 2004, 11:34 AM
Anectode from TJS George book on MS
===================================
Once in USA,MS was performing at someone's house.There was some construction going on nearby and it was disturbing the audience who had gathered to hear MS.But,MS was so deeply engrossed in music,that she continued to sing without being disturbed.After sometime,the construction workers knowcked on the door of the host and said that though they did not understand anything,they wanted to hear her sing and joined the audience!!! This,according to MS, was the greatest success of the US trip.

viggop
16th December 2004, 03:28 PM
http://www.sangeetham.com/others/content.php3?id3=1&fea=miscellaneous&conid=mi_id

MS concerts for charity.Truly a great human being.
Lot of other articles on M.S. On www.sangeetham.com (Sanjay Subramaniam's site)

Surya
17th December 2004, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the Link!!! :D

viggop
17th December 2004, 03:03 PM
www.carnatica.net (Sowmya's and Shashikiran's)
has some MS songs on its home page as a tribute to MS.

shreek
28th December 2004, 12:06 PM
MS is above all....i admire songs very much.

if you know MS,....it means u you what devotion is!!!!...

mandangi
24th February 2005, 10:49 AM
Teluguites call her as "Gana kokila"(singing cuckoo).

Shakthiprabha.
24th February 2005, 11:35 AM
Can someone tell me about this KARNATIC VILLAGE IN BANGALORE?