PDA

View Full Version : RAVA DOSAI

shakthi
10th December 2004, 09:12 AM
hi, can anyone pls let me know how to do rava tosai. I once tried but I couldn't get the tosai out of the tosai kal. I have never had this problem with normal tosai. So i figured the problem must be with the batter.

thanks

dev
10th December 2004, 09:59 AM
Hi shakthi,

I guess the batter was not properly fermented...Try using a bit sour buttermilk & let it rest for 1/2 hr before use...The batter shouldn't be too watery...& the proportion I use is 1/2 cup rice flour for 1 cup rava...
& around 1/2 cup buttermilk for this quantity of rava & rice flour...

try this out & let me know...& some ppl use maid also...I'm not very sure of the proportion of maida to rava...Will try to find it out for U...

nalabaagam
10th December 2004, 09:11 PM
Hi Shakti,

First of all let me compliment your name...Shakti is one of my favorite names. I feel this name gives a lot of internal power. :)

This is how I make Rava dosai - very simple and easy to prepare.

Rava - 1 cup
Maida flour - 1 cup
Rice flour - 1 cup

Mix all these into a watery mix(neerka karaikanum).

Then add the following and leave the mix for 10-15mins.

Cumin seeds (seeragam) - 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder (milagu thool) - 1/4 tsp
Ginger - chopped finely
Green chillies (pachai milagai) - 4 - chopped finely
Coriander
Salt to taste

You can then make dosai - thin and crisp ones.
Coconut chutney goes very well with it. :wink:

Hope this helps!

NOV
10th December 2004, 10:31 PM
Shakti

The above recipe given by nalabaagam is more or less the recipe I use successfully every time, with some slight modifications.

I dont use coriander and I use whole black pepper.
Most importantly I fry these spices in some ghee and then add to the kalavai. The kalavai must be left to soak at least for 30 mins. You can add the spices just before you make the dosai.

Now, in order to ensure that the dosai does not stick to the tawa, do the following:

1. Heat the tawa on high flame.
2. Use a clean cloth and dab liberally with oil (nallanai is the best)
3. Let it smoke. Leave it till it gets really hot
4. Then switch it off and wait for it to cool down.
5. You can now start making your ravaa dosais. Just make sure the flame is evenly spread.
6. Most importantly after you have finished making the dosais, DO NOT wash immediately. Allow tava to cool down completely.

Best of luck.

perfect peninsula Inc
13th December 2004, 01:52 AM
Rice flour - 2 cup
Rava - 1 cup
Maida flour - 1 cup

Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Ginger - chopped finely
Green chillies - 5 or 8 finely chopped
Curry leaves - finely chopped
Coriander leaves - finely chopped
Little asafoetida powder
Salt to taste

Optional -
Chopped Onions
Whole black pepper roughly crushed
you can add spices fresh or slightly roasted.

Add all the spices to the flour mix, and then add water to make it to a watery consistency. ( the batter should pour freely. The thinner the batter is .. crispier the dosa will be ! )

>>Coconut chutney is the best pick to go with Rava Dosai.
For more authentic Indian recipes, Go to
http://www.perfectpeninsula.com/idliprop.html

Bon Appetite !

shakthi
14th December 2004, 11:27 AM
hi guys thanks a lot for the recipies - am going to try for tonight's dinner! I'll keep all posted on the results.

BTW - is there a difference between maida flour & plain white flour (or in Malaysia commonly known as "tepung gandum") . My auntie from India says it's different i.e. maida is flour milled together with the outer covering and plain flour is without the covering. I don't know what she mean't by outer covering - I think it's the husk.

I actually have always used plain white flour for all recipies calling for maida - so far all the recipies had turned out well

So, can anyone help to clarify? Thanks!

dev
14th December 2004, 12:11 PM
Maida is the inner white part of wheat,ie the brownish layer removed(refined wheat flour)...What your aunt has mentioned is wheat flour or atta...Atta is made by grinding the whole wheat(the brown outer layer of the wheat is not removed)..In either case the husk is removed...By husk,I mean the outer cover of the wheat...The brown layer is the outer layer of the wheat after removing the husk...

Wheat flour is used mainly for making chapathis,in India... & wheat flour is more nutritious then maida...

saras
6th January 2005, 06:40 PM
Hi, for best Rava dosas, rava and rice flour should be in 1:1 ratio. Maida and corn flour 1/2;1/2. This way you are asured of hotle like golden coloured crispy dosas!

pr
6th January 2005, 10:42 PM
Hi saras
By corn flour u mena the white one or the yellow one
Thanks