shoba de
and other
have their own stands in international book centres

now adays ....we even have book centre s shelving
Indian ...books

comments?

shambhavi
29th January 2006, 06:38 PM
i enjoy vikram seth's poems and his books though i think they possess a sort of brooding nature about them. i think indians are great writers,some of the writers in the vernacular surpass many a foreign author in thought and execution of plot/narration

pooja.shankar
7th February 2006, 12:26 AM
well

many indians writers of today happen to be women
shoba de
arundhati roy

all seem to write stories that mollify the reader's soul ....or about love , sex and other related topics .....

i wouldn't call it ..an intellectual read ....like dan browns books .....really show that he s intelligent ....he done research and he really works on his novels

even j k rowling .....it s not easy to write fiction ...u really have to remember a lot ...

besides ..u r rite ....indian writers tend to brood .....especially vikram seth !
his book a suitable boy ...was good ...

but trust me ..people whu really have so much time ..to read all that family kahani..will really enjoy ...some sort of a tv teleserial....

but his books an equal music ...was extremely boring .....

i still need to get hold of his TWO LIVES .....his latest ...........

and then i ll post my comments

i ve never read shoba de yet ...thought i ve heard .....all she can write about it is sex.....

even the names of the books shes writen....

sultry days
speed post
understanding men!

but i cant really comment ..till i know

nirosha sen
28th February 2006, 04:44 AM
Last I read was Rohinton Mistry. Think the book was a Balanced Life??? Sorry, that's how forgettable the title is!!

Post 9/11, it was endorsed by Oprah, as must read by Americans to improve foreign relations, I guess. Beyond that, I felt it was a plodding book on simply trying to picturise an average Mumbai based, North Indian lifestyle, seen thru the eyes of a Parsi.

The ending of the book, was utterly hopeless, that you put it down, with this sense of desolation, like a huge chunk of Indian life is beyond redemption!!

Badri
28th February 2006, 04:58 AM
Hey Niro!! Sorry to digress, but good to see you back! How are you? it has been really a long time!! :)

gaddeswarup
28th February 2006, 08:24 AM
many indians writers of today happen to be women
shoba de
arundhati roy

I have been reading more non-fiction than fiction but I have come acorss many male writers writing both fiction and non-fiction. Here are two lists:
http://www.paritoshuttam.com/indian-writers.html
http://www.mamohanraj.com/india.html
Some of the writers whose articles books that I enjoyed are Pankaj Mishra (unfortunately many of his articles are in The New York Review of Books and need subscription), Vikram Chandra (here is a sample of his non-fiction writing http://bostonreview.net/BR25.1/chandra.html), Suketu Mehta ( parts of his Maximum City are available on the web), Jhumpa Lahiri. There are many writers in the semi-popular sort of writing like Simon Singh. Because of my Telugu background, one of my favourite writers is Velcheru Narayana Rao. He (and colloborators) have translated many Telugu poems both ancient and modern in to English. They (David Shulman and Sanjay Subrahmanyam) have written two books on how to study history though literature; "Symbols of substance" (about Nayaka perod in Tamilnadu) and "Textures of time" (about Bobbili and other small kingdoms).

nirosha sen
28th February 2006, 08:01 PM
:DDoin fine, Badri!! Glad to see here too!!

Oh, the book by Rohinton is called, A Fine Balance! It was mostly dark and poignant with dashes of hilarity thrown in, very Bollywood style, which only an Indian writer would have the insight and gumption to describe!!

At least in this book, I got to know a little more abt the Parsi community and their peculiarities! 8-)

ice cube
28th February 2006, 08:59 PM
i wouldn't call it ..an intellectual read ....like dan browns books .....really show that he s intelligent ....he done research and he really works on his novels

Davinci code an intellectual stuff?

I would say that he stole the ideas!

pooja.shankar
2nd March 2006, 11:50 AM
no .... i guess u havent read all DAN brow n books ...and if u have ,,,,i guess. ...
maybe it is a differnce of opinions ..

i think he s pretty good