PDA

View Full Version : lets discuss the various tamil dialects

pooja.shankar
29th January 2006, 01:07 PM
ok people in this thread lets talk abt the various tamil dialects

Madras Tamil - its beauty

The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil comes from the fact that a classical language like Tamil is given that contemporary touch by the constructive intrusions from many other languages.

So then, going on to the intricacies of Madras Tamil, used majorly by college guys, teekadai-nairs, and autokarans:

1. Tamil minimised
Padiththu (read), mudiththu (complete), sabiththu (curse) will be gracefully shortened as 'pachchi', 'muchchi', 'sabchi'.
As a corollary, 'padiththu kondirukkiren' = 'pachchi-nikkeeren', 'kuliththu kondirukkiren' = 'kulchi-nikkeeren'.

2. 'Nee' or 'Neenga'?
Madras Tamil does not usually use 'neenga' and 'nee' in different contexts.
In fact, 'nee' is used most of the times. This is not a deliberate attempt to degrade someone in public, but to offer a level playing field for everyone. So if the auto-karan asks 'engaponum unakku?' do not feel offended.

Advertisement
MMT - Cheap-air-tickets-to-India

3. 'Da' word
'Da' is used by all IIT guys and all policemen, for quite different reasons! The tone of 'ennada, licence enga, vootlaya?' and 'what da, where is the jantha da?' are self-explanatory. Incidentally, all words beginning with 'vee' can be unconditionally substituted with 'voo'. So 'veedu' = 'voodu' and 'vittuvidu' = 'vuttudu'.

Coming back to 'da', an euphemism for that would be 'ba'. So, a 'ennada' would be made to sound much less offensive with 'ennaba'. Other less effective words, principally used among friends, include 'naina', 'vaadhyaare', 'machi', 'brether' (brother), 'allo' (hello)... the list is endless. When it comes to expressing intimacy and friendship, Madras Tamil is the best in the world.

4. Pronouncing 'zha'
The syllable 'zha' (as in Tamizh) becomes 'ya'. So, 'vaazhai pazham' is 'vaaya payam', 'vaazhkai' is 'vaaykai', 'vazhukki' is 'vaykki'. Off the record, 'zha' is a pain. More than 95 per cent of Tamil Nadu substitutes it with 'ya' or 'la'.

Recommend this page
Mail us your feedback
Post your Comment
View Comments

5. The English effect
When it comes to borrowing words from other languages 'Madrassukku nigar Madrasse'. English words can be used in any context without one feeling alien. 'wrongu', 'rightu', 'yechuse me', 'adjist', 'abase', 'abscond', 'beetiful figuru' and so on.

6. Special slang
Some special words exist - and they can be used any place. Like 'Lord Labakdas', 'pistha', 'peter'. The origin of these words is unknown. These kinds of words mostly arise from the language used in movies (remember Vivek and Lord Labakdas?)

Tamil spoken at Ethiraj, Stella Maris, MOP and all other girls college is entirely different and beyond the scope of this article.

source: http://www.chennaionline.com/panorama/youthclub/youthclub44.asp
by Srinivasa Ramanujam
Published on Nov 3rd, 2004

ajithfederer
29th January 2006, 01:26 PM
Nothing comes best like Coimbatore Kongu Tamil

Everyone will be addressed wth respect

yenuga, ennengaa, enga poreeenga..................

Mariyathai therinja oorula No 1:

COIMBATORE

Proud To Be An Coimbatorean

great
29th January 2006, 01:47 PM
pooja, :shock: :shock: :shock:

villan007
29th January 2006, 01:51 PM
Nothing comes best like Coimbatore Kongu Tamil

Everyone will be addressed wth respect

yenuga, ennengaa, enga poreeenga..................

Mariyathai therinja oorula No 1:

COIMBATORE

Proud To Be An Coimbatorean
:notworthy: :notworthy:
me too :thumbsup:

villan007
29th January 2006, 01:51 PM
enna aachu :lol: :lol:

great
29th January 2006, 01:52 PM
enna aachu :lol: :lol:

such a lengthy post....anyway i would check this after a week 8-)

pooja.shankar
29th January 2006, 05:10 PM
hmmm okay

Thiru
29th January 2006, 07:35 PM
wrong forum..

Lambretta
29th January 2006, 07:46 PM
Madras Tamil - its beauty

The aesthetic quality of Madras Tamil comes from the fact that a classical language like Tamil is given that contemporary touch by the constructive intrusions from many other languages.
U serious?? :shock: :roll: :P
Neways, as Thiru says, wrong thread to discuss this.......

P_R
29th January 2006, 07:53 PM
Why, I guess this the right forum for this thread ? Should it be in History, Culture ? hmmm

pavalamani pragasam
29th January 2006, 09:23 PM
By "forum" altogether means the Hub or any of its sections???

Thiru
29th January 2006, 11:53 PM
By "forum" altogether means the Hub or any of its sections???

I meant the section.. The thread was originally posted in Tamil films section...

Sanjeevi
30th January 2006, 12:05 AM
Wov Pooja, you are nearby me on thinking tamil. IMHO Madurai tamil is the most original and dominates in cine field also. And Coimbatore tamil, Nellai tamil are also :thumbsup:.

Channai :banghead:

I think people in villages are the true tamilian (only) in tamil pronountiation. They can't speak any Sanskrit, english sounds such as J, S. Even my mummy couldn't speak Rajini, Vijay, Ajith (Rasini, visai, Aseeth)

kannannn
30th January 2006, 11:16 PM
A glaring omission is Srilankan tamil. Their tamil is so musical, that it makes tamil sound good (which I otherwise feel is a bit harsh on the ears compared to other languages).

NOV
31st January 2006, 09:56 AM
STRICT WARNING

DO NOT post material from other sites!
Credit must always be given and we do not take kindly to plagiarism. Author of this thread is requested to edit the initial post, giving credit and links.

We are serious about not breaching any copyright issues, and will delete threads/posts that do not comply with these.

goodsense
31st January 2006, 11:38 AM
I think many of us here would agree with you Nov. We felt the same since the thread was opened, but did not want to lay accusations :wink:

pooja.shankar
31st January 2006, 12:05 PM
STRICT WARNING

DO NOT post material from other sites!
Credit must always be given and we do not take kindly to plagiarism. Author of this thread is requested to edit the initial post, giving credit and links.

We are serious about not breaching any copyright issues, and will delete threads/posts that do not comply with these.sure .....but i got this as a forwarded mail ..thought i ll share it here .....
if thts not appreciated ......its okay ...i wunt here after ...

crazy
31st January 2006, 04:14 PM
what about Ilangai tamil? i guess they speak in more polite way! specially when they talk to the young ones!

stranger
2nd February 2006, 03:07 AM
specially when they talk to the young ones!

Could you show few examples :?:

NOV
2nd February 2006, 06:49 AM
sure .....but i got this as a forwarded mail ..thought i ll share it here .....

It's really not that difficult to get the source. A simple google search revealed....

http://www.chennaionline.com/panorama/youthclub/youthclub44.asp
by Srinivasa Ramanujam
Published on Nov 3rd, 2004

crazy
2nd February 2006, 02:09 PM
hi mr. stranger
the ilangai tamils speaks in plural form to the young ones, even if they are their own kids.
for.ins. thambi ammakku athai edhudhu thango!!
when a mother speak to her own kids as well as somebody else kids they talk in very decent and plural form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pooja.shankar
2nd February 2006, 02:25 PM

It's really not that difficult to get the source. A simple google search revealed....

by Srinivasa Ramanujam
Published on Nov 3rd, 2004NOV.....if i have time i ll do tht ......or I ll jus .......write it as a forwarded mail..is that okay ?

stranger
3rd February 2006, 05:00 AM
hi mr. stranger
the ilangai tamils speaks in plural form to the young ones, even if they are their own kids.
for.ins. thambi ammakku athai edhudhu thango!!
when a mother speak to her own kids as well as somebody else kids they talk in very decent and plural form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, crazy! (It really sounds crazy when I have to address you :) )

How do they tell when the kid did something really wrong and they are really mad at the kid and want to say "not to do that" any more.

Will they still use the "respect" or it will change then?

I am just trying to learn. So please do not misunderstand me here! :)

rajraj
3rd February 2006, 05:33 AM
stranger: It is not just in Srilanka. In some parts of Tamilnadu also the young ones are addressed with respect.

thambi vaanga, thambi saapidunga, thambi appadi seyaadheenga. saappidunga ayyaa. First time I was exposed to that I was surprised.

rajraj
3rd February 2006, 05:35 AM
stranger: It is not just in Srilanka. In some parts of Tamilnadu also the young ones are addressed with respect.

thambi vaanga, thambi saapidunga, thambi appadi seyaadheenga. saappidunga ayyaa. First time I was exposed to that I was surprised.

pooja.shankar
3rd February 2006, 07:22 AM
madras tamil ....is the hardest is my opinion and its t he funniest too

crazy
3rd February 2006, 01:13 PM
well mr. stranger,
it has been a long time since i was a kid and someone really got mad at me. since u r asking, i will listen now on very careefully what and how people r yelling to the young ones and whether they use the "respect" or not!

stranger
3rd February 2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks, raj! :)

Thanks, crazy! I think I got the answer! :D

stranger
9th February 2006, 02:05 AM
I am sure srilankan tamils have a dialect!

Would you all agree if I say:

* KK district,

* coimbatore and gownder belt

* thirunelvEli thamizh

* madurai thamizh

* chennai and chengal pattu thamizh

* thanjaavoor thamizh

are all different dialects?

How would one differentiate a dialect from the "slang" or "colloquial thamizh in different parts of TN" :?:

Do they mean the same? :oops:

pooja.shankar
13th February 2006, 04:04 PM

by Srinivasa Ramanujam
Published on Nov 3rd, 2004I JUST RELEASED SOMETHING .....

i had already mentioned the source !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
check it out THiru

NOV
14th February 2006, 05:59 AM
I JUST RELEASED SOMETHING .....

i had already mentioned the source !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
check it out THiruNo. 1, I am not Thiru. :roll:
No. 2, I inserted the source in your original post, so that the Hub doesn't infringe any copyright issues. :roll::roll:

Alien
26th March 2006, 10:02 AM
How do they tell when the kid did something really wrong and they are really mad at the kid and want to say "not to do that" any more.

Will they still use the "respect" or it will change then?

I am just trying to learn. So please do not misunderstand me here! :)
When they yell to their kids, they mostly use singular & harsh words at time too ... But if they were to yell infront of ppl other than their family , then they mostly would still use plural form("respect") ! ....
And usually at home they use both plural form and sngular to address their kids , actually mostly plural ! ......
When acquainting with new ppl, they would use plural form till they become close with each other(that would be after a handful of talks) ! (be it 2 guys of same age or a guy 10 years elder than the other)

When I first came to aus & met guys from India, I felt so odd , coz the 2nd minute after we met, they would use singular form !! I was like what !!!!! :shock: .... but then I didn't mind it ..... got used to it ....
:)

Malayalathaan
2nd April 2006, 08:01 PM
In Kerala we have different dialects, but I would also consider Malayalam itself as a Tamil dialect! ;)

The use of "da" and "ra" is part of the Malayalam language, but you only use it for your friends, and colleagues, not for elders and respectable people. For example, if I was tellin my younger brother to take something, I would say "edraa!", or if I tell him to let go, "vidraa!". Or if I tell him to come, I would say "vaada", and if I tell him to go "podaa!". :)