PDA

View Full Version : Rang De Basanthi

Sandeep
28th January 2006, 09:08 PM
[tscii:5050f50ce8]I saw Rang De Basanthi today. Liked the movie very much, a sort of hybrid between Lagaan and Dil Chahtha Hai.

+ves

1) Some good performances
2) Simple light comedy
3) Excellent camera work
4) A strong message

-ves

1) People like Bhagath Singh, Azad, Bismil have become so legendary that an equalance in courage and farsightedness seems difficult in today’s generation. (Well that’s what the movie tries to prove- That we have it in us)
2) Some of the most defining moments in the movie have been purposefully mellowed down (by use of background music and some clever editing). While it’s clear that this was not done by mistake, I am still to understand why?[/tscii:5050f50ce8]

Sandeep
3rd February 2006, 10:05 AM
Rang De Basanti :: Official Web Site

www.rangdebasanti.net

Shakthiprabha.
3rd February 2006, 10:32 PM
AWESOME. plz watch. Its worth their effort. its worth our time.

Soha ali khan was not impressive
anupam kheer was wasted. rest were purfect.

kb
4th February 2006, 07:07 AM
its really kewl.. movie is really inspiring.

alwarpet_andavan
6th February 2006, 08:00 PM
http://soonapaana.blogspot.com/2006/02/rang-de-basanti.html

kannannn
6th February 2006, 08:25 PM
Kauthuttingale A_A!! I was torn between watching 'Hidden' ('Cache') and 'RDB' this week. All the 'thumbs up' tilted the scales in favour of 'RDB'. But your review has started me thinking again.

alwarpet_andavan
6th February 2006, 08:35 PM
Kauthuttingale A_A!! I was torn between watching 'Hidden' ('Cache') and 'RDB' this week. All the 'thumbs up' tilted the scales in favour of 'RDB'. But your review has started me thinking again.
Kannan,
First of all, i just write my 'comments'. Review is too strong a word :)
En comments ellam paathutu padam pogama irukkadheenga... Maybe i failed to see/appreciate something you would.....

P.S: I generally read reviews of movies i look forward to, only after watching the movie....

kannannn
7th February 2006, 05:16 PM
hmm.. cant afford that luxury here. The ticket prices are costly and I am forced to be choosy about the movies I watch in Theater. But RDB is in it's third week. That says something. Let me see..

MADDY
13th February 2006, 05:16 PM
[tscii:36f0c8fae8]Swades Wound Healed

It took 1 year and 2 months for the wound of swades to heal for me. Swades’s failure was a personal blow for me as it mirrored my views of a perfect patriotic Indian discarding material things for love of the country. But, now I’m elated that another noble thinking has been appreciated and felt by all, the way it should be.

Raykesh Mehra has proved with his epic youth saga that patriotism is not going ga-ga over an unseen entity called India but feeling compassionate about injustice meted out to a single entity called Indian. The movie is breath of fresh air in terms of camera angles, exotic locations and usage of songs. The movie is also very natural in terms of dialogues, hang out spots and parties of college going guys. There is no clear hero in the movie. This, in spite of the fact that it has hugely talented , super star Aamir Khan. Aamir delights us as a young college-going-though-passed-out guy and shows his authority as a awakened guy the second half. The movie should act as a good break for people like Soha Ali khan, Sidharth, Kunal, Prasoon Joshi. They have all shared the limelight with Aamir, which is in itself a big achievement for these youngsters. Madhavan, a guest appearance has given a power packed performance and you would see evey third person in the movie hall crying for his death in the movie. Raykesh has used ARRahman and his songs just like Greg Chappell uses Irfan Pathan at no.3 slot for Indian team. This is a big change for Rahman fans like me who have seen him carrying the movies’ fortunes on his shoulders like Sachin Tendulkar.

Raykesh mehra deserves a appreciation for his subtlety shown in tense situations. He, also has, cleverly not crossed the lines while equalizing the achievements of his characters with those of legendary heroes like Bhagat Singh and Azad. However my biggest pat goes to the youngsters of this country right from Mumbai to Chennai and Delhi to Kolkatta who have made this movie a success. They have proved that they are beyond the pizza hut hangouts, coffee day dates and Friends’ show discussions. It is heart warming to see that they too are compassionate about this country’s problems. It also is gladdening to see the average movie going fan awakening to a noble thought. Expecting implementation of this awakening from people is indeed a far-fetched hope but if you believe in Abdul Kalam’s dream then everything’s possible.
[/tscii:36f0c8fae8]

swathy
16th February 2006, 06:03 PM
I am much impressed by this movie.

I didnt expect such aheavy role for siddharth. good
:-)

nice movie

Sanjeevi
16th February 2006, 10:09 PM
I gonna see the movie soon :D due to its story which impress me

r_o_j_a
18th February 2006, 10:47 PM
This film should be nominated for an oscar. brilliant perfomances. unique and breathtaking

P_R
26th February 2006, 01:27 AM
Disclaimer: I am always harsher on almost theres than decidedly mediocre ones.

Was it really that good ? Siddharth was pretty good. So was Aamir. But the movie was otherwise pretty ordinary.There were some redeeming parts.The Butch Cassidy style ending for Siddharth and Aamir. The exchanges in the first half, audition etc.

On the whole the movie looked rather naive, over-milking metaphors and succumbs to cliches (Hindu-Muslim bhai bhai). Subtlety isn't one of its strong points.

It is definitely better than Swades, which isn't exactly much. But it is far far far from being compared to DCH.

great
26th February 2006, 06:49 PM
This film should be nominated for an oscar. brilliant perfomances. unique and breathtaking :roll: :roll: :roll:

alwarpet_andavan
27th February 2006, 04:37 PM
over-milking metaphors
Explain further pls.....

P_R
28th February 2006, 12:00 AM
over-milking metaphors Explain further pls.....

It is okay to have the past to present-day transition once. Twice...okay sir we get it. But every other minute ! Cutting to how-the-old-dialogues-are-still-relevant is nice, at best once.

At one point we were off sepia for a full fifteen minutes. Even if you stubbornly refuse to be offended by the cliched Bismil-Ashfaque religious bonhomie, it haunts you to bits and refuses to leave till the duo meet their makers (itching to say "respective makers" just to spite them).

The ultimate was the Lala Lajpat Rai reminder shot when they showed a the comatose Waheeda Rahman. That was just to ensure the sex-change didn't throw you off the track.

You know I once called Kamal not subtle enough (you didn't quite agree :-) ). So it shouldn't come as a surprise that I found Rake(y)sh Mehra loud.

Surya
1st March 2006, 04:04 AM
I haven't seen the movie, but I was talking to someone on the net and he said

I agree that movie has patriotism butits main aim seems to be something else.

Movie has also distorted historical facts.

Bhagat singh had removed his beard after he killed Saunders because police was confirm that a sikh was involved in the murder.

While the movie shows that he removed his beard he become atheist before murder of Saunders.

The movie also shows Ram prasad bismil suggesting Ashfaqulla khan to go to Afganistan as its a muslim nation and he will be safe there.

I donn Ram Prasad Bismil could have said this thing.

How credible is this? :)

Sandeep
1st March 2006, 08:20 AM
I agree that movie has patriotism but its main aim seems to be something else.

The intentions are very clear and simple, sleeping X generation needs to wake up and find pride in their nation. If things are wrong dont just crib but act.

This is not a historical movie the author may have taken some liberties. Unlike the three Bhagath Singh movies unheard of girlfriends and fiancies where not included.

Bhagat singh had removed his beard after he killed Saunders because police was confirm that a sikh was involved in the murder.

While the movie shows that he removed his beard he become atheist before murder of Saunders.

I missed this one. But in any case Bhagath Singh was an atheist.

The movie also shows Ram prasad bismil suggesting Ashfaqulla khan to go to Afganistan as its a muslim nation and he will be safe there.

This one I remember. We dont know if such a conversation ever happened between Bismil and Asfaqulla Khan. But the intention was in Asfaqulla Khans answer that India is his (muslim mens) country too.

Surya
1st March 2006, 08:25 AM
hmmm...thanks for the clarifications sandeep. :)

Lambretta
1st March 2006, 07:57 PM
The intentions are very clear and simple, sleeping X generation needs to wake up and find pride in their nation. If things are wrong dont just crib but act.
X Gen.?? Tats us, havnt we become old models already?? :D I thot it was abt Z Gen....?
PS- Surya, forgot to tell u- cute avtaar! :wink: :D

Surya
2nd March 2006, 03:16 AM
Thanks Lamby! :D

Sandeep
2nd March 2006, 08:01 AM
X Gen.?? Tats us, havnt we become old models already?? :D I thot it was abt Z Gen....?

Well I missed the X generation train as I was brought up under the "Iron fist" of a "Stalinist" Lady. 8-)

MADDY
3rd March 2006, 12:29 AM
InMO

Gen-X --> 90's to 2000...cool guys trying to bring in new trends......characterised by software growth, sampras,sachin tendulkar, shahrukh,Arrahman, ray ban glasses, long haired people, yamaha bike, pagers & big cellular phones......

Gen-Y --> 2000 to present....the guys with a "Y-not" attitude, ultra-cool trends....characterised by BPO,ITES growth after recession, federer, yuvraj singh,sehwag,dhoni, abhishek bachan,himesh, yuvan, harris jeyaraj, spike-spunk hairstyles, killer heavy duty bikes, slim & ultra modern mobile phones.....

so i guess, RDB falls in gen-Y category :D

Surya
3rd March 2006, 03:13 AM
Gen-Y --> 2000 to present....the guys with a "Y-not" attitude, ultra-cool trends....characterised by BPO,ITES growth after recession, federer, yuvraj singh,sehwag,dhoni, abhishek bachan,himesh, yuvan, harris jeyaraj, spike-spunk hairstyles, killer heavy duty bikes, slim & ultra modern mobile phones.....

That would be me! :D :lol: :P

jaykayuk
27th March 2006, 11:44 PM
if shakespeare could alter history in his works then why cant rakesh and rensil do the same.
after all its supposed to "awaken our generation" 2 help our country.
its an awesome movie. its 1 of the few movies of bollywood in which all the lead characters die. its something totally different and very interesting.
i was glued 2 the screen 4om start 2 end.
how bout u :?:

njv
29th March 2006, 10:34 AM
I haven't seen the movie, but I was talking to someone on the net and he said

I agree that movie has patriotism butits main aim seems to be something else.

How credible is this? :)

Surya

The core of the movie is inspired from MIG accidents.

Infact on Aug 21st 2006, India lost 2 more pilots (total 65 in 15 years) due to another MIG crash and it is the 76th crash. When they released the movie we had about 75 crashes and they dedicate the picture also to all the pilots who lost lives in MIG crash.

I strongly recommend you to watch this movie. Inspite of what the above post says or if it is true or not, the real underlying story of RDB is not patriotism, but asking younger generation to fight agains corruption. The way they told this is very different.

People always criticise. So dont bother abt them. This is a MUST watch movie. You wont waste a penny.

If you are interested in some nicer technical details, this movie will also feed ur apetite. Go for it.