PDA

View Full Version : Copied/Inspired from Western movies

as_Arvind
19th January 2006, 03:05 PM
Hi everyone,
I am starting a new thread for all tamil/Indian movies which were either copied or inspired from Western movies.

Please feel free to add and discuss your movies and views. While submitting copied movies, please double-check them as we don't want to mislead users.

So, here I go.

Ayutha Ezhuthu - First Scene format (3 characters meeting in a road accident) copied from 'Amores Perros' (a mexican movie).

Note that this maniratnam's movie is not entirely copied.

Nayagan - Heavily inspired from Francis Coppolla's 'The Godfather'. Kamal's mannerisms - including his old-age voice -

strongly inspired from Marlon Brando (Marlon had a real difficulty with voice during his shoot and somehow the weakness came

in handy)

Kaakha Kaakha - Once scene inspired/copied from 'Seven' (Bradd Pitt and Freeman). When 3 IPS officers travel 150 kms to a

dryland in Andhra to find the head of the wife of one of the officers (near the climax scene). Similar scene appears in

'Seven.'

Anniyan - Concept of MPD and revenge inspired from Sidney Sheldon's novel 'Tell me your dreams' and stunts adapted from

'Matrix' trilogy.

Virumaandi - Concept of story-telling - 2 men's version of a same story - concept copied from Akira Kurosawa's 'Rashomon'

(japanese movie dating to 1950s)

Enga Paatan Sothu - Jakkamma (!!) - Similar Jai Shankar's cow boy style movies were heavily inspired from Sergio Leonne's

'The Good The Bad The Ugly', 'Once upon a time in the West' - Extreme closeups - Long silence followed by rapid gun fires

(and the music too!).

Santhi Nilayam - Adapatation of Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre'

Alaipayuthey - Does NOT refer to 'Barefoot in the park'. Those who disagree should watch 'Barefoot in the park'. Titanic

and Kaadhaluku Mariyathai are cannot be the same just because they are love stories.

Please keep adding - and give as much information as possible to support your statement.

I have got another list on Hindi movies. That will follow.

Sandeep
19th January 2006, 03:24 PM
Avaishanmughi - Mrs. Doubtfire

Kaante - Reservoir dogs

ssanjinika
19th January 2006, 07:01 PM
Magalir Mattum - copied/inspired from this low budget movie called 9 to 5.The movie starred Jane Fonda,Dolly Parton and another lady whose name I dont remember :P.

sweet_luck
20th January 2006, 02:20 AM
gajini - inspired by "memento" starring guy pearce

NTR
20th January 2006, 08:09 AM
Thenali - What About Bob

great
20th January 2006, 01:55 PM
musafir copy of u-turn

Lambretta
20th January 2006, 08:17 PM
I forgot the name of this Hindi movie but it *s Rahul Roy & was copied from the movie "Ghost" *ing Demy Moore & Patrick Swazy.
Also this '70s movie "Warrant" by Dev Anand was copied from the James Bond movie "You live only twice" (1967/68).

smily
21st January 2006, 02:06 AM
Bunty aur babli-Catch me if you can.

Deewane Hue Pagal -Cut copy paste of "There is something about marry"

Ek ajnabee-Cut copy paste of Super hit movie by denzel washington "MAN ON FIRE"

Garam Masala -Some telugu movie...Not getting the name

Hope bollywood stops copying hollywood movies.Not feeling like watching it at all!!!!

romio
21st January 2006, 11:44 AM
Videshi & Orginals & Swadeshi Remakes

GodFather(diniro,alpacino) - Nayakan(kamalhasan),SarKar(amithab,abishek)

Boeing Boeing - Boeing Boeing(Mohanlal), GaramMasala(akshay)

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (Jack Nicholson ) - Thalavattam(Mohanlal) , Kyon Ki(salman)

The Ghost - Ayushkalam(malayalam),Mr India,Vaah! Life Ho To Aisi (hindi)

Jian Gui (thai film) - Naina(hindi)

The Miracle Worker - Black(amithab)

Out Of Time - Zehar(hindi)

Hot Chicks - Mr Ya Miss(hindi)

Old Boy(korean) + SinCity(english) = Zinda(sanjaydutt)

ThenmavinKombathu (Mohanlal) = Muthu (rajini),Saat Rang ke Sapne(hindi)

ManichitraThazhu (mohanlal) = Chandramukhi(rajini),& in kanada

Poochakkoru Mookkuthi (Mohanlal) = Hungama(hindi)

Stakeout - Vandanam(mohanlal),also copied in telugu (nagarjuna)

MunnaBhai MBBS (sanjaydutt) - Vasoolraja Mbbs(kamal hasan) & telugu by chiranjeevi

Memento - Gajini(tamil)

Double Indemnity - Jism (hindi)

I Know What You Did Last Summer - Kucch To Hai (hindi)

ScareFace(alpacino) - AgneePath(amithab)

Thevar Makan(kamalhasan) - Virasat (hindi)

Unlawful Entry - Fareb (hindi)

What Lies Beneath - Raaz(hindi)

State of Grace - Aatish(sanjaydutt)

Reservoir Dogs and The Usual Suspects = Kaante (Hindi)

The Usual Suspects - Chocolate (hindi)

I Am Sam - Main Aisa Hi Hoon(hindi)

Unfaithful - Murder(hindi)

My Best Friend's Wedding - Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai

The Rock - Qayamat

Disclosure - Aitraaz

Kireedom(Mohanlal) - Gardish (hindi)

Sanmanasulavarku samadhanam = Yeh Tera Ghar Yeh Mera Ghar(hindi)

Thommanum Makkalum(mammooty) - maja(tamil)

Naaduvazhikal ( Mohanlal) = Sivaji (rajini)

Chinthavishtayaya Shyamala(malayalam) = Chidambarathil Oru Appasamy'(tamil)

Kasthuriman(malayalam) - kasthuriman(tamil)

Mrs Doubtfire - Chachi 420,avai shan mukhi (kamal hasan)

Northwest Frontier + The Magnificent Seven = great " SHOLEY" it will remade as Elaan will remake again by RGV

magnificient seven = Chinagate(hindi)

Fugitive - Criminal(nagarjuna),Nirnayam(mohanlal)

Taxi Driver (robertdiniro) = Sadak (sanjaydutt)

A Kiss Before Dying = Baazigar (sharukh khan)

Cape Fear = Darr (sharukhkhan)

Breaking Away = Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar (amirkhan)

Kramer Vs Kramer = Akele Hum Akele Tum(amir khan) Even for the film's publicity, the Sleepless In Seattle poster was duplicated

MAJORITY OF KAMAL HASAN MOVIE ARE REMAKES OR ISPIRED COPY OF FOREIGN FILMS

List will be continue ........ :P

Alien
21st January 2006, 11:58 AM

Did u know that Kamal Haasan has acted in more than 200 movies ? What does majority mean? Can u point more than 100 of his films as remakes or inspired copy of FOREIGN films?
I very well agree that all those KSR/KH combo were copies , as well as films like Nammavar, Magalir mattum,....
What abt the rest ? Don't make an idiotic sweeping statement !.......
BTW I appreciate ur interest in Kamal Haasan ............

Rajni is the Remake king...
Majority of his 80's , early 90's movies were remakes of hindi movies & some mallu movies

as_Arvind
23rd January 2006, 02:30 PM

Kamal has acted over 150 movies. When you say majority it means atleast more than 75 movies!!! This is too good to be true.

I have clearly mentioned that any claims made should be properly supported. Vague arguments such as this one deserves to be removed. You should be careful when making such claims against a talented actor who also is an excellent screenplay writer.

What you could have said is that few of kamal's famous movies were inspired from western movies.

And hey, thanks for the contribution! You have a pretty good list!!

I just found this one in Kumudam.

S.J. Suryah's - Vaali - is more like 'Moondru mudichu'. Suryah himself has talked about this. just substitute kamal & rajini with 'ajith & ajith'. I have not seen moondru mudichu.

as_Arvind
23rd January 2006, 02:31 PM

Kamal has acted over 150 movies. When you say majority it means atleast more than 75 movies!!! This is too good to be true.

I have clearly mentioned that any claims made should be properly supported. Vague arguments such as this one deserves to be removed. You should be careful when making such claims against a talented actor who also is an excellent screenplay writer.

What you could have said is that few of kamal's famous movies were inspired from western movies.

And hey, thanks for the contribution! You have a pretty good list!!

I just found this one in Kumudam.

S.J. Suryah's - Vaali - is more like 'Moondru mudichu'. Suryah himself has talked about this. just substitute kamal & rajini with 'ajith & ajith'. I have not seen moondru mudichu.

as_Arvind
23rd January 2006, 02:36 PM
I forgot the name of this Hindi movie but it *s Rahul Roy & was copied from the movie "Ghost" *ing Demy Moore & Patrick Swazy.
Also this '70s movie "Warrant" by Dev Anand was copied from the James Bond movie "You live only twice" (1967/68).

'Ghost' was remade as 'Pyaar ka saaya'. It also went in malayalam as 'aayushkalam'.

ssanjinika
23rd January 2006, 07:02 PM
I watched this Billy Crystal movie "When Harry Met Sally "and must say that its one of the most comical movies Ive seen.I then realised that last year there was this Saif ali khan ,rani mukerjee starrer which was a copy of this movie.Of course that was no where near as good as this one..but was ok to watch(Think saif even won a national award for the movie :huh: )

U guys must have guessed by now that I have no inkling as to what the name of the hindi movie is :) .Seems to have totally slipped my mind.

Another Rani mukerjee starrer is this movie "Chalte Chalte" which is copied from another Billy Crystal movie called "Forget Paris" another classic IMHO.

Alien
23rd January 2006, 07:08 PM
I watched this Billy Crystal movie "When Harry Met Sally "and must say that its one of the most comical movies Ive seen.I then realised that last year there was this Saif ali khan ,rani mukerjee starrer which was a copy of this movie.

That is "Hum Tum"

Lambretta
24th January 2006, 04:35 PM
'Ghost' was remade as 'Pyaar ka saaya'. It also went in malayalam as 'aayushkalam'.
Oh, rite! Tks for refreshing my memory! :D

buddysathi
24th January 2006, 05:26 PM
Patch Adams + The Terminal - > Munnabhai MBBS

great
24th January 2006, 08:03 PM
Patch Adams + The Terminal - > Munnabhai MBBS

Terminal, released in 2004 and Munnabhai released in late 2003.... :wink:

Alien
25th January 2006, 06:52 AM
That was such a slap on unwarranted cr*p :wink:

as_Arvind
26th January 2006, 03:23 PM
Can we go a little further and discuss about copied/inspired acting, directing methods, editing tricks, and screenplay adaptations?
This is going to be difficult as anyone who makes a claim, should present a credible evidence to support it. References to particular scenes/shots will make the thread more interesting.

For e.g. you could say that Naygan old kamal's voice was heavily inspired from Marlon Brando in Godfather (remember my first post, Marlon had real difficulty with voice which came in handy)

12B (tamil movie) - Concept copied from Sliding Doors (parallel/alternate story line)

I think I have a little secret to share: I am jothika's crazy fan and I see plenty of english movies which inspired me to start this thread. Can anyone guess her acting style is similar to someone in Hollywood?

Opening scene in Kaakha.... Kaakha.... (surya falls down....drowns and sees his wife's face - psychological entry of jothika) - similar scene in Gladiator climax (General Maximus opens a door and sees his wife and kid just before dying.)

Maniratnam's style of dark lighting, whispers, short dialogues, sudden end, - ring any bells of a famous director?

sreenath
28th January 2006, 11:13 PM
Hi friends,

I am not sure if u aree with this or not, there are two films(may be more because I didnot see many of english movies) of a great hollywood director similar in some aspects of some malayalam films,
Director Steven Speilberg

films
Catch me if you can - The story of a clever thief and an fbi officer

A film named Kalikkalm(released 10-15 years back)with mammooty as thief and murali as the police officer
Some reports came in some film magazines comparing the two films when this film is released.

Minority Report - The film has some strong similarities at the climax to a malayalam film,
Randambhavam(released 2 or 3 years before MR) . Both films the boss of the hero is the villain .At the climax in both of them the hero gives a gun to the villain but he shoots himself.

There are other similarities also with some other malayalam films (may be with some other language movies) of a scene which in which a video of the villain killing a lady is shown in front of a crowd. Similar scenes are there in some malayalam films like superman,rajaputhran etc.

We cannot say that they copied from us but how this happened is an interesting question.

alwarpet_andavan
31st January 2006, 07:51 PM
Can we go a little further and discuss about copied/inspired acting, directing methods, editing tricks, and screenplay adaptations? .....
Akira Kurosawa is the most copied [the one who has inspired the most] director.

* Aiming the camera directly at the sun
* Using glasses, screens etc. as light reflectors
* 3D technique of composition. Characters remaining in 3 levels/dimensions with respect to their distances from the camera, all of them being in focus.
* Using color reflectors to enhance contrasts/color depth in his color film Rhapsody In August. In fact, he even went to the extent of lighting up a pond with under-water bulbs to get a rich color depth!
* Samurai/Westerns! [Seven Samurai, Yojimbo].
* The theme of a veteran cop paired up with a rookie
* The most famous one - Rashomon!
All these and more have been borrowed/copied from or sources of inspiration for cinema as an entity. That's how it works in ANY field, let alone cinema. It is an individual who would have introduced counterpoint [Bach?] in music, but today everyone uses it.

Sergei Eisenstein - Montages

Stanley Kubrick - Pioneer of zoom-ins and zoom-outs to enhance composition [somebody confirm pl]

The first instance i've seen of the now common non-linear narrative which is often associated and credited with Tarrantino was in Stanley Kubrick's "The Killing" released sometime in the 50's. [not sure if he was the pioneer though]

kannannn
31st January 2006, 08:28 PM
A_A, Kurosawa's medium shots ('Seven Samurai') and sequential close-ups of members of a running group (again 'seven samurai', remember the scene when the group is first alerted to a (false) alarm?) are also firsts, which were later used extensively by others. Also, in Ikiru you find that the narration is so slow at times, that you feel the movie is stagnant (I did find the discussion on the dead man too prolonged towards the end). I'm not sure if such a narration style was used in earlier films by other directors.

alwarpet_andavan
1st February 2006, 04:36 PM
A_A, Kurosawa's medium shots ('Seven Samurai') and sequential close-ups of members of a running group (again 'seven samurai', remember the scene when the group is first alerted to a (false) alarm?) are also firsts, which were later used extensively by others. Also, in Ikiru you find that the narration is so slow at times, that you feel the movie is stagnant (I did find the discussion on the dead man too prolonged towards the end). I'm not sure if such a narration style was used in earlier films by other directors.

Good point regarding the sequence in Ikiru. In fact, Kurosawa had to cut a few minutes of flash-backs because everyone felt it was too long! :)
Also, yes, Ikiru was made a couple of years, at least, before "The Killing".
The sequence of still-shots [o Watanabe's photograph in his funeral] was also first, to be repeated in the opening scenes of Seven Samurai. In the latter, the scene of the bandits riding against the backdrop of the sun in the horizon is a standard theme in subsequently made movies across the world

as_Arvind
3rd February 2006, 04:49 PM
s.j. suryah's vaali and Richard linklater's 'before sunrise'

scene in vaali:

ajith and jo in a boat. jo and ajith pretend to speak to their friends on a phone and express their love.

Same scene in b4 sunrise: Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke - they both do the same in a restaurant and express their love.

btw, excellent contribution made by two members (can't go back and see their names!) thanks to them.

keep it going.

Kartikeya
3rd March 2006, 10:35 PM
Here are some more Carbon Copies of the English movies in Hindi...

1. Roman Holiday: Chori Chori (Raj Kapoor)
Dil Hai ke Manata Nahi
2. Dial M for Murder: Aitbar (Dimple Kapadia)
3. A Marathi movie: Teen Chor
4. Hound of Baskarville: Bees Saal Baad
5. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers: Satte pe Satta (Big B when he was a Small B)
6. Comedy of Errors: Angoor, Do Dooni Char

Kartikeya

great
5th March 2006, 12:26 PM
in the movie usual suspect, main lead act as crippled and escape from the cop this has been used in the opening shot of the tamil movie villan .......

narayanan
6th May 2006, 03:27 PM
New (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376003/) (Tamil) from The Big (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094737/)

Pattiyal(Tamil) from Bangkok Dangerous (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0263101/)

selvakumar
6th May 2006, 04:27 PM

:rotfl:

Arvind,
It would be better if you could comment like this after having seen both the movies.

MM & Vaali are lot more different. Let me give you the difference.

We cannot substitue elder Ajith's character in Vaali with that of Rajini in MM.

MM deals with the love / madness of Rajini with SD.. and in the whole process he kills his friend (who is a lover) then and attempts everything before it even SD marries his own father. It is like dealing with the one which he is unable to get / lust combination etc.. IN the mean time, he rapes her servant too.. We cannot justify his nature as a love that he portrays towards SD.. But in VAALI, elder ajith will be mad about simmi only and will not be interested in others. Before that, he will be portrayed as a NICE CHAP, GOOD BUSINESSMAN etc. He portrays the inability of a person to woo a female in his first sight.

VAALI plot is totally different. IT is the feelings and emotions of a deaf & dumb person who is longing for a girl whom he met already in his life.

The plot and script itself is difference.

The only similarity that can be found in both vaali and MM is

-- The kind of cruel attempts made by both the characters in attaining their goal.

Apart from that, VAALI & MM are totally different. I am not sure how much SJS commented about the similiarity.

May be, He might have commented about the kind of films that were taken in the past & he might have correlated it with his film.

bingleguy
6th May 2006, 04:40 PM
Kamal is good n remaking a concept which has inspired him ...

Mrs. Doubtfire -> Avvai Shanmugi !

He has followed Robin Willams in performing many roles ... including the appu character, mrs.doubtfire concept .....

alwarpet_andavan
7th May 2006, 02:08 PM
He has followed Robin Willams in performing many roles ... including the appu character
Data please.......

Alan
28th May 2006, 10:48 PM
I am Sam- Me aisa he hoon (But Devgan is a Genius, no doubt)

great
29th May 2006, 01:29 PM
I am Sam- Me aisa he hoon (But Devgan is a Genius, no doubt)

But they torn devgan into pieces in the reviews :?

Sandeep
29th May 2006, 02:33 PM
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)

Out of work (an actor) father Robin Williams find himself suddenly divorced without custody of his kids. To solve this problem, he disguises himself as an old Scottish nanny to get hired by his ex-wife and be closer to his kids.

Sandeep
29th May 2006, 02:41 PM
[tscii:d04e32f832]Anbe Sivam inspired from"Planes,Trains and Automobiles".
Tenali inspired from"What Bob can do".
Climax fight of "Vetri Vizha" (1987) totally lifted from "The Commando" (1985)
Nala Damayanthi copied from Green Card Fever
Magalir mattum copied from ’’9 to 5’’
Virumadi - The idea of 2 people narrating the same story differently from a Japanese movie ’’Rashomon’’[/tscii:d04e32f832]

ramsri
14th June 2006, 10:19 AM
[tscii:e817dc6d45]Anbe Sivam inspired from"Planes,Trains and Automobiles".
[/tscii:e817dc6d45]
Have to (politely :) ) disagree. The only part of the film that could possibly have been "inspired" is the concept of two men who can't stand each other, being forced to travel together. That is just the opening sequence of 'Anbe Sivam' - it doesn't even form the basic premise of the movie. And even the two lead protagonists in 'Anbe Sivam' are better characterized - for instance, I don't think Kamal's character in AS could've been inspired by either Steve Martin or John Candy's parts in 'Planes Trains and Automobiles'. In essence, what forms the backbone of 'PT&A' simply serves as an excuse for the two characters of AS to come together. I really don't see any other parallels between the two films.

Tenali inspired from"What Bob can do".

It's 'What About Bob?' starring Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss.

Nala Damayanthi copied from Green Card Fever

Are you talking about the one starring Gerard Depardieu? Wasn't that called just 'Green Card'? Not sure - AA/Kannann - clarify.

ramsri
14th June 2006, 10:26 AM
Bunty aur babli-Catch me if you can.

Isn't it 'Bonnie and Clyde'? I always thought B&B was a rip-off on that good ol' 60s flick. At least that was the impression I got having watched parts of the Hindi movie. Same concept of small-time girl and small-time bank thief pulling off a chain of robberies. Could be mistaken, though ...

alwarpet_andavan
14th June 2006, 11:20 AM
[tscii:be05e88624]Anbe Sivam inspired from"Planes,Trains and Automobiles".
[/tscii:be05e88624]
Have to (politely :) ) disagree. The only part of the film that could possibly have been "inspired" is the concept of two men who can't stand each other, being forced to travel together. That is just the opening sequence of 'Anbe Sivam' - it doesn't even form the basic premise of the movie. And even the two lead protagonists in 'Anbe Sivam' are better characterized - for instance, I don't think Kamal's character in AS could've been inspired by either Steve Martin or John Candy's parts in 'Planes Trains and Automobiles'. In essence, what forms the backbone of 'PT&A' simply serves as an excuse for the two characters of AS to come together. I really don't see any other parallels between the two films.

Exactly! This has been done to death and if Sandeep would care to look in the "Kamal's Hollywood Copies" thread in theTamil Films section, he would find clinching arguments.
And Ramsri, the problem with these aravekkadu's is that they generally neither see the so-called original nor the so-called inspired movie. Like a parrot they just keep repeating things they have read or seen :)

alwarpet_andavan
14th June 2006, 11:25 AM
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)

Out of work (an actor) father Robin Williams find himself suddenly divorced without custody of his kids. To solve this problem, he disguises himself as an old Scottish nanny to get hired by his ex-wife and be closer to his kids.

If the above post is a response to this:

Data please...

then i would remind you to look at this

He has followed Robin Willams in performing many roles ... including the appu character

Of course AS was inspired from Mrs.DF [brilliantly indianized screenplay].

If your post was not a response to the aforementioned, sorry :)

Raikkonen
16th June 2006, 12:27 PM
Nammavar - Sister Act 2

alwarpet_andavan
16th June 2006, 01:33 PM
Raikkonen,
"Sister Act" endha genre nu theriyuma??? illa Nammavar dhaan endha genre nu theriyuma... Convent vandhutta odane copy-a?? Mood, theme, screenplay, plot details???? ungala madhiri aalunga ellam internet connection irundha enna kuppaya venumnaalum ezhudhalaam... adhu dhaan kali kalam

Reg Nammavar:
1) Watch Nammavar - released in 1995
2) Watch "One Eight Seven" starring Samuel L Jackson - released in 1997 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118531/
Paathuttu apparam pesunga.

P.S: The basic plot (core) of Nammavar is similar to that of the 1987 movie, The Principal

Raikkonen
16th June 2006, 01:42 PM
Raikkonen,
"Sister Act" endha genre nu theriyuma??? illa Nammavar dhaan endha genre nu theriyuma... Convent vandhutta odane copy-a?? Mood, theme, screenplay, plot details???? ungala madhiri aalunga ellam internet connection irundha enna kuppaya venumnaalum ezhudhalaam... adhu dhaan kali kalam
Reg Nammavar:
1) Watch Nammavar - released in 1995
2) Watch "One Eight Seven" starring Samuel L Jackson - released in 1997 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118531/
Paathuttu apparam pesunga.

P.S: The basic plot (core) of Nammavar is similar to that of the 1987 movie, The Principal

What are you talking?
I watched the movie the other day, i felt some scenes were very similar to Nammavar..
:twisted:

THIS IS TOO MUCH...

Whoopi Goldberg's role was quite similar to Kamal's one..
A strict teacher or professor...

alwarpet_andavan
16th June 2006, 01:58 PM
Boss,
Ungala ellam thiruthave mudiyadhu. Professor/teacehr na adhu inspiration/copy-a???? :lol:

Similarity != Inspiration/Copy

Nakeeran
16th June 2006, 02:00 PM
Atleast GUNA is original or INSPIRATION FROM RAIN MAN - a Dustin Hoffman Starrer :wink:

Raikkonen
16th June 2006, 02:03 PM
Dont go over the top

I said QUITE SIMILAR
not copy ....

Why u cant accept other's view..
did i said KAmal copied entire movie???
Did i said Kamal is a bad actor....

I stop here...

alwarpet_andavan
16th June 2006, 02:07 PM
Atleast GUNA is original or INSPIRATION FROM RAIN MAN - a Dustin Hoffman Starrer :wink:

Nakkeeran,
Please check in Kamal's Hollywood Copies thread in TFM, where this baseless hypothesis has been torn to shreds :)

<Dig>
Incidentally, Guna happens to be one of my fav Thamizh movies and Rain Man, one of my fav English.....
</Dig>

Alien
16th June 2006, 09:53 PM
I am damn sure, u haven't seen, either, one of these movies !!! and u r following the parrot speak, what u probably learnt from some arai vekkaadus !! :banghead:
GO WATCH BOTH THE MOVIES FIRST !!!!
Rainman is about - UNDERSTANDING THE BROTHERHOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guna is about the - "INSANE SOCIETY, THAT TREATS THE SO CALLED INSANE PEOPLE BADLY & NEVER LET THEM LIVE" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please first watch those movies properly !!!!!!!!! :twisted: :wink:

alwarpet_andavan
17th June 2006, 11:43 AM
Alien,
When you confront these parrots to cite a scene by scene comparison they can't, simply because
a) They havent watched the movie(s)
or
b) Even if they have watched the movies, they would have let their burning desire to spot "similarities, insoirations and copies" and shout to the world proudly and prejudice cloud their judgement.

Like i had said in the TFM Kamal's Hollywood copies thread, if at all there was an inspiration or copy from Rain Man, you can find it in certain frames/shots [NOT scenes, there's a big difference] in Anbe Sivam - sitting in front of the pond etc....

Poornima
17th June 2006, 03:29 PM
guna? rain man? hmm, not quite i guess. my bet is on steinbeck's 'of mice and men'... mammootty's 'suryamanasam' was heavily inspired by this too... incidentally, sab john who wrote this film also wrote for guna.. all the more reason to see the 'inspired' connection :)

Nakeeran
17th June 2006, 03:34 PM
I have seen Mrs. DOUBTFIRE . Vow ! Brosnan was shredding his status, played a secondary character intending to marry the hero's wife ! that shows how flexibel these guys are !

Though Avvai seems an inspiration from MDF, KH did extremely well & I love watching those scenes with Kathal mannan & kathal ilavarasan :D

ramsri
17th June 2006, 08:03 PM

Nakkeeran,
Please check in Kamal's Hollywood Copies thread in TFM, where this baseless hypothesis has been torn to shreds :)

Absolutely! That particular thread has some really good discussions going - from method acting, comparing kamal's style with brando, pacino et al to these so-called "copied" movies and how exactly an 'inspiration' should be defined in cinematic terms.

AA, sometimes I think we should revive that thread and keep the conversation going - just for old times' sake!

ramsri
19th June 2006, 09:55 AM
Another 'inspiration' - Shekhar Kapur's "Masoom" (Naseerudin Shah - Shabana Azmi - Saeed Jaffery) inspired by the Martin Sheen-Blythe Danner starrer "Man, Woman and Child", which in turn was based on Erich Segal's book of the same name. Of course, I'm not sure about the chronology here - I think the Hollywood flick came out in '83, and Kapur's film in '85 - though I may have got the years mixed up, in which case it's possible that Kapur actually adapted the book into his film, rather than copying from the Hollywood version.

P_R
19th June 2006, 10:03 AM
Balu Mahendra's Malayalam film 'Olangal' (starring Amol Palekar) was also based on Man,Woman and Child. Balu Mahendra's storylines are usually inspired by existing films.

princeofkerala
22nd August 2006, 08:47 AM
Another bollywood movie copied from Mohanlal movie

Priyadarshan/mohanlal = Kakakkuyil remade as Golmaal(ajaydevgon) & in tamil London (prasanth)

great
22nd August 2006, 09:28 PM
Priyadarshan/mohanlal = Kakakkuyil remade as Golmaal(ajaydevgon) & in tamil London (prasanth)

Priyadarshan one of the dumb director in town !!!!

Most of his movies are plain copy :x

Sandeep
23rd August 2006, 08:25 AM

Priyadarshan one of the dumb director in town !!!!

Most of his movies are plain copy :x

Yes he copies but not most.

Also he is not a dumb director. He has some of the most loved (and record breaking) malayalam movies to his credit. He was once the most successful malayalam director.

Thalavattam
Vellanakalude Naadu
Mukunthetta Sumitra Vilikkunnu
Chithram
Kilukkam
Thenmavin Kombathu
Poochakkoru Mookkuthi

He also have done some excellent non-comic movies like

Adwaitham,
Kaalapani,
Abimanyu,
Aryan,
Cheppu,

great
23rd August 2006, 08:30 AM
Thalavattam is with Lal rite , kyun ki in hindi rite.

Jack nicholson movie "one who flew over cucoos nest"

romio
23rd August 2006, 09:14 AM
Copy or Not priyadarshan SUCCESSFUL DIRECTOR both in malayalam & bollywood :?

majority of his superhit film was with mohanlal -

priyan -
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0698184/

great
23rd August 2006, 09:42 AM
Even perarasu is a succesfull director :?

romio
23rd August 2006, 09:48 AM
Great macha :lol2:

watch priyan kalapani(tamil siraichalai)
and all time megahit comedy film kilukkam

watch Thalavattam then one who flew over cucoos nest !
u will love thalavattom & mohanlal perfomence i have both dvd with me . dont seen kyon ki :lol:

worst of all he copied bharathan/kamal hasan superhit film thevar magan hindi as Virasat with anil kapoor :oops:
& Mohanlal/sibimalayil Superhit film Kireedom as Gardish with jackie sharof :oops: :x

great
23rd August 2006, 10:34 AM
I have seen Siraichailai , First day first show. I wasnt impressed but few scenes and songs were good.

You meant thalavattam is better than OWFOCN :shock:

I havent seen kyunki and i will not

southiecook
12th September 2006, 06:53 AM
Read the plot of "Waking Ned" below. The pathetic fact is that the director of Maalamal weekly tells everyone that it is his own story resulted by a 3 year hardwork (sic)

When word reaches Jackie and Michael, two elderly best friends that someone in their fictional tiny Irish village of Tullymore has won the national lottery, they go to great lengths to find the winner so they can share the wealth. After a chicken-dinner plot to narrow down their list of suspects, they pay a midnight visit to the only absentee: Ned Devine. They find Ned in his home, still holding the ticket in his hand, a smile on his face and dead of shock. Jackie is later convinced by a dream that the deceased Ned wants to share the winnings. After discovering that the winnings are far greater than anticipated, Jackie and Michael are forced to involve the entire village in order to fool the claim inspector. The villagers enter a pact to pretend that Ned is alive and well, by having Michael pose as him. However, one villager decides not to enter the pact and attempts to blackmail the entire village by reporting the fraud and winning ten percent of the lottery share. However, later in the story she dies in a car accident and the money is shared amongst the villagers.

romio
12th September 2006, 01:14 PM
You meant thalavattam is better than OWFOCN

Great macha thalavattam story is just inspired from one flew over the cucoo's nest ..Mohanlal acting is 100% better than jack nicholson . i have both films in my cd collection...you watch both and then post your comments :D

SHOLAY also Inspired from Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai & The Magnificent Seven.

romio
19th September 2006, 01:26 PM
WATCH LALETTAN CLASSIC HIT "Thalavattam"
TODAY [SEP 19] tUESDAY :) ON SURYA TV 1.45 PM :)

Alien
19th September 2006, 01:55 PM
Read the plot of "Waking Ned" below. The pathetic fact is that the director of Maalamal weekly tells everyone that it is his own story resulted by a 3 year hardwork (sic)

When word reaches Jackie and Michael, two elderly best friends that someone in their fictional tiny Irish village of Tullymore has won the national lottery, they go to great lengths to find the winner so they can share the wealth. After a chicken-dinner plot to narrow down their list of suspects, they pay a midnight visit to the only absentee: Ned Devine. They find Ned in his home, still holding the ticket in his hand, a smile on his face and dead of shock. Jackie is later convinced by a dream that the deceased Ned wants to share the winnings. After discovering that the winnings are far greater than anticipated, Jackie and Michael are forced to involve the entire village in order to fool the claim inspector. The villagers enter a pact to pretend that Ned is alive and well, by having Michael pose as him. However, one villager decides not to enter the pact and attempts to blackmail the entire village by reporting the fraud and winning ten percent of the lottery share. However, later in the story she dies in a car accident and the money is shared amongst the villagers.

I have seen this movie Waking Ned devine ... I was sooo much impressed with the movie that the next day I was telling it to my friend and on hearing the plot he told me that there is this hindi movie with the same plot ....... :o .... I haven't seen Maalamal , but itz weird the director saying so(that itz from his own work) :x ....... He could simply acknowledge the borrowing ....
I was suggesting to my friend that it would be nice to see that good-hearted comedy movie in tamil ,.... :)

Alien
19th September 2006, 02:06 PM
You meant thalavattam is better than OWFOCN

Great macha thalavattam story is just inspired from one flew over the cucoo's nest ..Mohanlal acting is 100% better than jack nicholson . i have both films in my cd collection...you watch both and then post your comments :D

Romio machi , I don't know on what yardstick r u comparing Mohan lal's and Jack nicholson's acting ? :huh: .... I haven't seen Thalavattam anyway (I don't watch Malayalam movies, I'd like to watch Lal's and Mammooty's movies, but never find the DVDs with subtitles here :( ....) ... But I learnt somwhere that Lal's character was different to Jack's ....
Anyway One flew over the cuckoo's nest is like my 2nd most fav movie :P (after Forrest Gump :P ) , and Jack's performance is one of the finest ever ...
BTW how abt Thalavattam climax , did they end the film in the same way as "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" ??
That was the most effective , pungent climax Ive ever seen .... :clap:

Hulkster
19th September 2006, 02:14 PM
I believe Manasakkul Mathapoo starring Prabhu and music by SA Rajkumar in ard the late eighties is of the same/inspired plot of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest :exactly:

romio
19th September 2006, 02:53 PM
Romio machi , I don't know on what yardstick r u comparing Mohan lal's and Jack nicholson's acting ? .... I haven't seen Thalavattam anyway

Because i have seen both films :D
Yes same climax but malayalam version had added Flash back love story and some other touching characters in it...

imo Jack Nicholson best Perfomance are in The Shining & Chinatown
8-)

My all time favourate movie is The Shawshank Redemption :D
this movie can remake with Morgan Freeman(Mohanlal) & Tim Robbins(ajith) 8-) Direction - Selvaraghavan/Maniratnam/Bala
Music - Ilayaraja
camera - SanthoshSivan :D

romio
19th September 2006, 03:07 PM
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1962) is a fiction novel by Ken Kesey.

and made movie in 1975 ..
malayalam version thalavattom in 1986 .

and another one is

The Godfather is a 1972 film adaptation of the novel of the same name, written by Mario Puzo

Godfather screenplayhas been copied in several indian films
Maniratnam/kamal - Nayakan
Rgv/amithab - Sarkar
Thevar Makan/Virasat - Bharathan/Priyadarshan

8-)

romio
21st September 2006, 12:46 AM
Al Pacino Altime classic Hit film
Scarface (1983)
8-)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086250/

Desi Remake