PDA

View Full Version : TFM DF Migration FAQ

RR
27th October 2004, 03:43 PM
Frequently Asked Questions about the TFM DF migration

RR
27th October 2004, 03:44 PM
What is the migration all about?

We are retiring the flat, no-login style forums and moving to a new feature-rich TFM DF.

RR
27th October 2004, 03:45 PM
Why are you doing it?

The TFM DF currently has no registration or login, and so the forum moderation was very difficult. The migration is done mainly to handle this, and keep the TFM DF a clean place for fun. The new TFM DF will also be feature-rich which means discussing TFM will be a new experience!

RR
27th October 2004, 03:56 PM
Where will the new TFM DF be?

The new site will be on a phpBB based platform. It'll be on 'The Hub' co-hosted along with the new Forum Hub. For those who don't know, Forum Hub is one of the most active hubs for discussing tamils related topics. It is another site managed by yours truly the TFM Page team. Both sites have had many common visitors for a long time. Since there is going to registration in the new site, we thought it would be inconvenient if they have to access each site with the two id's. (there are some technical difficulties in just sharing user data between two sites.) We decided on a simple and neat solution: co-hosting.

It's at: http://new.tfmpage.com (Scroll down to see the 'TFM Page Related' category)

RR
27th October 2004, 04:07 PM
How will this co-hosting affect me?

Nothing much, generally speaking. You''ll be able to view, post, start threads as before (though following a slightly different method).

Some concerns are

1. 'Disturbances' from some nasty forumhubbers: Forum Hub, incidentally, is also going thru a revamp. With the registration thing in, be rest assured that such elements will be taken care of. so, fear not.

2. TFM DF related forums getting lost in a huge maze of Hub index: We will have an interface almost similar to the current TFM DF. So you really won't feel much of a change in terms of view topics lists. In other words, we'll try to keep the transition smooth.

A vannila version is here: http://tfmpage.com/forum/new.html . Ultimately this page will replace the current DF.

RR
27th October 2004, 04:08 PM
How do you plan to do it

We'll be doing it over the next few weeks. Stay tuned for more.

RR
28th October 2004, 08:21 AM
What will be the changes during/after the migration?

We are trying to keep the migration as smooth as possible. But intermittent troubles are to be expected. During migration, posting will be disabled. And, some topics may not be available for viewing.

You have to get used to the new style of posting and viewing the DF. It sounds a bit complicated at first, but after a few posts you'll find it user friendly. We'll try to help to shorten the learning curve.

Registration

First and foremost, you have to register to create topics or post replies. (But you can view all topics without registration.) Pl do it ASAP (link on top). It is FREE, just takes a few secs.

Topic list view

In addition to the new phpBB style of topic list view, we are trying to keep the old style of viewing topics: So you have the option of staying with current TFM DF topic browsing style, while also having phpBB features, etc. Best of both worlds!

Topics

As mentioned above, all good topics will be transfered. Every post will be transferred too, except if the topic has too many old responses, and requires lot of space. We'll just link it to old responses, in this case. We won't delete the files in old TFM DF for quite sometime.

Poster details

Unfortunately, your old names and emails cannot be linked your ids. So your 'No. of posts' in the new forum will not include your old posts. All the transferred posts will appear as posted by Oldposts.
The post details can be found in the subject of corresponding post, including time of post. Some details may have been truncated due to subject length limits.

Posting

You have to get used to the new method. See 'Welcome to the new TFM DF' thread.