PDA

View Full Version : Thanmathra - Verdict: Brilliant

Guess_Me
17th December 2005, 11:41 PM
[tscii:ca04f23b44]Thanmatra Review (http://sify.com/movies/malayalam/review.php?id=14051829&ctid=5&cid=2428)

Perhaps love can conquer everything - but not Alzheimer's.

At a time when crass commercials rule Malayalam cinema, Blessy has been successful to deliver a film with the right sensitivity and restraint required when sketching an intimate portrait of a man doomed by Alzheimer disease.

If further proof is required that Mohanlal is India’s finest actor, watch him in Tanmatra as Ramesan Nair. His anguish, agony and anxiety as he dreams big about his son, but gets inflicted by Alzheimer. The actor is mesmerizing and has given his best-ever performance since Vanaprastham and re-invents the idiom of acting once more with feeling.

Ramesan (Mohanlal) is an officer at the state secretariat in Thiruvananthapuram who has a 9 to 5 job in which he is honest, hardworking and goes by the rule book. His happy family consists of wife Lekha (Meera Vasudev), teenage son Manu who is preparing for the crucial 12th standard exams and a little daughter.

Ramesan is a good husband and the perfect dad for his children. His colleagues and friends envy them and the way Ramesan guides his son Manu who is an all rounder in sports, cultural activities and is the best student in school. Joseph (Jagathy Sreekumar), a colleague is Ramesan’s friend, philosopher and guide who get things done.

Ramesan’s big dream is to see his son prepare for civil service exams and get an IAS, something which he was not able to achieve in spite of being a very bright student himself. Ramesan slowly discovers that he often forgets small things in life and consults a doctor (Pratap Pothen) who dismisses it off as tension seen in parents about their ward’s exams and future!

But one day life turns topsy-turvy in a bizarre incident at office; Ramesan is hospitalized and is diagnosed for Alzheimer’s disease that causes loss of memory, intellectual decline, changes in personality and behaviour and an increased dependence on others. The rest of the film is how Lekha, Ramesan’s father (Nedumudi Venu) and especially Manu faces this big crisis as Ramesan takes voluntary retirement and goes back to his ancestral home where he was born and brought up.

Tanmatra asserts that Blessy is a path-breaking writer-director, one to be admired and concerned about. He has been able to convey an individual coping with his middle-class urban life suddenly devastated by a dreaded disease. Blessy has also brought out the relationship of Ramesan with his father as well as his son and in the end when Manu is being interviewed by the Civil Service board he says it all- “My father has been my biggest inspiration”.

Above all, it is Mohanlal’s performance which is the major highlight of the film. Meera Vasudev is simply terrific as Lekha who gives love and support to her husband till the end. The chemistry between the lead pair is touching and honest. Arjun as Manu is the scene stealer and has the making of a good actor. Jagathy Sreekumar and Nedumudi Venu have once again proved that they are the best. Kaithapuram’s lyrics and Mohan Sitara’s music creates the right mood. Sethu Sriram’s camera work is marvelous.

Tanmatra is an intelligent, insightful and unconventional film. It is a touching, thought-provoking drama for sophisticated audiences.

Verdict: Brilliant [/tscii:ca04f23b44]

romio
18th December 2005, 09:13 AM
Here is some review of THANMATHRA enjoy 8-)

thanmatra mega hit
Lalettan fans cant bear the scenes of acting by lal
i shut my eyes for a long time....
no one can speak ......
a reat suspense at end....
the sentimence are more than AAKAASHADOOTHU
no one can bear it

The first show started at 10.30. There was no such explosive crowds infront of the theater as for naran. The film started with huge applause and jai's to lalettan.
The film shows the correct picture of a normal family in an interesting way. The film started with a small touching sentimence between lal and his son.And all other scenes were pleasent. But when it began to reach the midst of the film...situations changed...
The villian came.."Alzeimers disease"!!!!
Then the scenes were out of control. I tried my level best not to cry aloud. In many occassions I closed my eyes for long time....and tears shed.
No Lal fans can see the situation of mohanlal at that time

A father who loves his family very much...who need to make his son an IAS officer....who is known as the brilliant father in the son's school...suddenly changed liked a small child who doesn't know even to write or talk...But his wish to make his son an IAS officer was hidden somewhere in his mind...
The last scene was a suspense which no lal fans expected...That scene make us completely out of control...
In a scene Mohanlal even came out from the office bathroom in only Jetty (underwear). In another scene One man will beat him cruely and he cries like a little child.....When Jagathy and Nedumudy drinks tea, Lal was looking at their tea glass , for giving him also tea..
And many scenes more.....And sure The film will be taken by family audience from tommorrow itself.
And the National award is confimed to lal and lal only

--
.....rejeeth.......

HERE IS SOME REVIEW FROM WWW.KERALAPALS.COM

Thanmathra Review
Submitted by - Bharath N
mail id - bharathker@yahoo.com

What to say about THANMATRA kandu This movie that i am waiting for long time this performance is what i expected from lalettan abt him i dont have any words to describe his acting very touching family movie i have ever seen ! nodout national award should given to lalettan in thanmatra if this didnt happen i will stop watching indian films thats it.Entha parayuka blessy padmarajante punarjanamam thanayanu ....Thanmatra is short story written by padmarajan and blessy he directed it very well 1000 times better than kazhcha . theatre parisarathu adukan vayatha thirakayirunu but there are so many ladies audience in firstday itself i am sure this movie will be superhit otherwise i dont have any hope in malayalam cinema thanmatra enthukondum lalettante best perfomanceil munil thane one of best film ever made in malayalam industry. and that kid that boy also done a great job every one is brilliant my god music makes us cry backil irunavar kanuneer ozhukunathu kandu njan chirichu but avasanam ente kanil ninum vannu kanuneer lalettan make us to cry to laugh Secretariat akathu keri thuniyoke azhichoru iripondu machuuuu ariyathe kai adichupokuna oru sambhavam mammootyfan dileepfan everyone become lalfan after see this thanmatra perfomance by lalettan.
I phoned one of my friends who saw the film and asked abt the film...he start speaking abt the film and suddenly stopped and cant tell a single word more....he started crying...
This is a true experience , after 7 hours from the show.
I am also facing the same difficulty......when remembering some scenes, tears are coming from eyes also...especially a scene where Lal bites his own hand.....

In our culture today, action films&thara comedy films have become the superhits but i am sure
thanmatra will change everything nala cinema marichitila ...i have some hope in malayalam cinema now...excellent characters, remarkable situations and one of the finest, most dramatic scores ever written, this film manages to inspire and uplift just about any viewer.The major reason why so everypeople like this movie is the feeling it evokes inside it's viewers.about mouth publicity is outstanding everyone likes it .
Without a doubt it is an excellent movie, but this movie just blew me away. If you haven't seen it go for it... see what is effortless acting & natural acting lalettan make us proud again .
I AM PROUD TO BE A LALFAN
I wont let out anything about the movie climax, because i hadd hate to spoil such a movie for you guys. But one recommendation I give, is watch and relax while it blows you away. MOHANLA Genius actor ever in Indian cinema and one best actor in world! Well thats all I have to say,

THANMATHRA - OUTSTANDING EXCELLENT MOVIE
WATCH IT WITH YOUR FAMILY ESPECIALLY WITH YOUR FATHER.

"Matha, Pitha, Guru Deivam"

romio
18th December 2005, 09:14 AM
Thanmathra Review

Submitted by - Sumesh.R.Nayak
mail id - sumeshnayak@gmail.com
Just saw thanmathra... the film is very good i liked it very much one of the finest performances of mohanlal.... meera vasudev as wife is also very good... another brilliant performance is by the actor who performed the son of mohan lal.... he is very perfect expect in crying... in crying he is just ok totally his acting is good...

Mohanlal as father is very enjoyable... its a very touching film and the music is also good....
thanks 4 blessy for directing such a great film.... i dont know whether it wil b a hit or not because i saw the film on the releasing day itself then many of the viewers are not interested in watching such a family senti film.... but me and my friends liked it very much.....

Congrats MOHANLAL for such a brilliant performance....

From
Sumesh.R.Nayak

Thanmathra Review

Submitted by - Jagan Namasivay
mail id -jagannadhan@gmail.com
If you are looking for a mere entertainer...please don't read further, because this review is about 'Thanmathra', which is not at all such a masala mix. I can't say whether malayalees will accept the movie or not, because after a long time such a purely sentimental film without even a bit of comedy has arrived.

Talking about the story of the film, it has been inspired by a short story named 'ORMA', by the late Padmarajan. So no need to tell more about the beauty of the theme. The most attractive thing about the movie is that, we can see an entirely different Mohan Lal through out the movie. He has grown up to such a level in the movie that he is just living like a patient and not acting. In my view even if this is not the carrier best of Mohanlal, this can be treated as one of the carrier bests from the Prince of Malayalam Cinema.

Another most important thing about the movie is that each and every actor in the movie has performed well. Lal is just rocking through out the movie. I am sure that even the most hard core person will drop a tear seeing his performance in the movie.

The first half of the film seems a little slow, but the movie becomes really serious after the interval. Blessy has some what beautifully done the job as a director. Anyway he has succeeded to bring almost a 90% off Lal.

Talking about the songs, really speaking I was not in a mood to enjoy or even listen to the songs in the movie. But watching Lal and his son on the screen seems to be a real treat for me. Each and every person will dream to have such a father- son relation. Nedumudi has also done a great job as the father of Lal. The climax is really really touching.

In a whole in my view I will give some 80 out of 100 marks as a classic movie to Thanmathra. Once again I warn you this is not at all an entertainer.

THANK GOD FOR GIVING SUCH A GREAT ACTOR FOR MALAYALEES

Thanmatra Best film EVER MADE IN MALAYALAM
OSCAR WINNING PERFOMANCE BY MOHANLAL SO ITS 4TH NATIONAL AWARD FOR PADMASREE BHARATH MOHANLAL
GREATEST ACTOR EVER PRODUCED IN INDIA
JUST CAME AFTER WATCHING IF U R KAMAL FAN IF U R LAL FAN IF U R MAMMOOTY FAN IF U R AMITHAB FAN NOTHING MATTERS AFTER SEEING THANMATRA U WILL BECOME DIEHARD MOHANLALFAN FOR SURE !
GO FOR IT 2005 NATIONAL AWARD + STATE AWARD FOR LALETTAN
JUST WATCH JUST WATCH I CANT SAY ANYTHING BIGGER THAN KIREEDOM BIGGER THAN THANIYAVARTHANAM BEST PERFOMANCE IN INDIAN CINEMA BY LALETTAN IN THANMATRA !

renju-cochin

Sandeep
19th December 2005, 09:44 AM
I have been eagerly waiting for this movie. Excellent work by the whole team.

Kudos

Sandeep
19th December 2005, 02:33 PM
This is an untold story of a middle class man who is one among you

His Family
His Dreams
His Ambition
After a long time Mohanlal The way U wanted

After "Kazcha" Blessy with another Earthquake

THANMATRA
Malayalikal Kathirunna Vethyastha Bhavanghalumayi

romio
19th December 2005, 06:47 PM
[tscii:2839d83a1f]Of course, no praise can ever be high for Mohanlal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie Review

Tanmatra - Mind over matter
IndiaGlitz [Monday, December 19, 2005]

It takes lot of conviction and confidence to go against the grain. Tanmatra is certainly a film that goes against the conventional trends in Malluwood these days. It is a sensitive as well as sensible film that deals with the life of a loving father who is laid low by a debilitating disease. It is a touch tale woven with directorial touch.The film deserves unstinted praise for the manner in which director Blessy has gone about his work. Of course, no praise can ever be high for Mohanlal. He turns up a virtuoso performance, underlining once again his amazing talents. For those who saw him in the masala potboiler Naran, this must be a totally different experience. In a director-backed role, Mohanlal shines like an effulgent meteorite. The story, in simple terms, is about a father who dreams big for his son. But he has to contend with the dreaded Alzheimer’s disease. And life is never going to be same again for him.

Ramesan (Mohanlal) is a hard working ,bright government employee. His family is a close-knit one. His wife Lekha (Meera Vasudev) and son Manu dote on him. Ramesan also guides his son at every step, wanting him to make it at the civil services --- a dream that Ramesan couldn't personally accomplish.

But fate has some rude ideas. Ramesan, faced with falling memory, goes to the doctor who diagnoses him to be suffering from Alzheimer’s. Suddenly, after being in the position of guiding others, Ramesan needs others’ help to lead his everyday life. He goes back to his ancestral home while son Manu is faced with a precarious predicament.

Tanmatra is a courageous story that can shatter any urban individual’s life. Its strength is in its everydayness. Blessy fleshes out all the right emotions and makes you ponder poignantly at the cruel roll of dice in Ramesan’s life.

If Blessy makes you think, then Mohanlal makes you cry with a performance that qualify to be one of his best ever. No _expression is out of place, No nuance is missed. He is of the highest class. Meera Vasudev, an untested talent at this level, comes out with a surprisingly confident portrayal of a mother caught between a sinking husband and the ambitions of a son.

Nedumudi Venu as Ramesan’s father, Jagathy as Ramesan’s friend have lifted the scenes to new high.

The camera work of Sethu Sriram is seamlessly natural. Mohan Sitara’s music is mellifluous.

Blessy, as a director, has shown that if you have the courage of conviction you can make the film you believe in. It is a case of mind over matter, which is incidentally also the cure for Alzheimer’s disease.

laletta u r the best u make us proud again friends ithukandilel nigalkuthanaya nashtam stunning movie brilliant acting this movie for go for an oscar not f***ing bollywood masal filmssss
[/tscii:2839d83a1f]

sreenath
19th December 2005, 11:56 PM
THANMATHRA

Second successful direction by Blessy

A movie that challenges the talent of the Great Mohanlal after a long time

Only a highly talented director(and script writer) can do two entirely different type of movies first Kazhcha and now Thanmathra and both with perfection. This film (Thanmathra) also will be in our heart for a long long time.

Words like brillint or excellent are not enough to describe the performance of Mohanlal. Each scene he performed to the highest.Blessy is challenging other directors to give Mohanlal roles which justifie his talent.

Poornima
25th December 2005, 11:25 AM
this is a lesson in acting, mildly put. a role, which had great potential of being hammed with, is so comfortably subtle with mohanlal. proves again why he's the finest actor of this country. great film, mindblowing performance. about Blessy, well, he's the future for malayalam cinema. sadly, I've heard that certain hardcore Mohanlal fans are giving bad word-of-mouth for this brilliant film, which i think is the plight of the actor now.

nilavupriyan
25th December 2005, 11:36 AM
http://www.cinechance.com/malluwoodnews.html

what happened?...thanmatra struggling at box office?

rajamanickam is going strong?

:?

romio
25th December 2005, 01:11 PM
THanmathra 4star review by nowrunning.com

http://nowrunning.com/film/review.asp?movieNo=2510&mv=Thanmatra

By Franko, Dec 21

Blessy's second directorial venture Thanmathra hit the screens without much ado, but is quietly stealing its way into the hearts of cine-goers. The film is an adaptation of ace director Padamarajan's short story 'Orma'.

It tells the story of Remeshan Nair (Mohanlal), a state Govt. employee who leads a simple and happy life with his wife Lekha (Meera Vasudevan), son Manu (Arjun) a +2 student and daughter Manju (Niranjana) a primary school student. Remeshan is afflicted by Alzheimer's disease and suffers from gradual memory loss. How this affects the family forms the gist of the story.

The way Remeshan becomes aware of the malady that is affecting him is brought out through minute instances - the way he forgets to switch on the scooter, the way he uses his son's brush to brush his own teeth, the way he forgets an official file inside the freezer of the fridge at home, the way he forgets his way to home, the way he thinks he is at home while actually in office.

The film does not make one sad or angry, but leaves one thinking what it would be if one were afflicted by the same illness. That's where Blessy's success lies. The story is poignant and gripping and well told by the director. Mohanlal's restrained acting does more than justice to the role. The same can be said of most of the others who act in the film including Nedumudi Venu who plays the role of Remeshan's father Krishnan Nair.

Special mention should however be made of new find Arjun, a native of Chalakudy who lives with his parents in Dubai. He is a natural. He must be flooded with offers after his performance in the film. With just two films under his belt, director Blessy shows all the markings of a top flight story teller. Already noted directors like Fazil, Sathyan Anthikaad and Priyadarshan have come forward in praise of Blessy's work.

Camera work by Sethu Sriram is superb. Music by Mohan Sitara is just about average. Despite its low-key release, Thanmathra is one of the best movies released in recent months, and a must-see for any serious film buff.

romio
25th December 2005, 01:12 PM
Hitchart thanmathra no 1

lalettans offbeat film beats mammootys comedymass film rajamanikyam :) :)

http://weblokam.com/cinema/t10movies/

nilavupriyan
25th December 2005, 01:14 PM
Hitchart thanmathra no 1

lalettans offbeat film beats mammootys comedymass film rajamanikyam :) :)

http://weblokam.com/cinema/t10movies/

is it a box office ranking or just based on movie?

romio
25th December 2005, 01:34 PM
this hitlist is based on boxoffice collection from theatres

nilavupriyan
25th December 2005, 02:28 PM
good!...

Sandeep
30th December 2005, 12:57 PM
After struggling in the 1st week (half early exam time) the movie has picked up as family audiences have started coming. The excellent word of mouth has enabled the movie's prospects

Alan
1st January 2006, 08:03 AM
Guess_me, Nice Review!

I wish I could understand malayalam. I have seen a few selective movies like Chandra-Lekha, Udayananu Taaram etc which my friends reccommend. I love Sreenivasan- Mohanlal team.

romio
1st January 2006, 05:03 PM
Our Lalettan n0-1 always Rediff.com :thumbsup:

Top Malayalam Actors, 2005!

http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2005/dec/30sd1.htm

Top Malayalam Films 2005

Thanmathra no-1

http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2005/dec/29sd1.htm

We love u lalelettaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :clap: :clap:

malayalee
3rd January 2006, 10:05 PM
Thank you all for letting us drool with expectations with this movie.
Yes it's a sad fact that the movie is not picking up much at Box Office but as it was a low budget movie made within few weeks it will make a decent profit. Importantly it brings back Mohanlal the performer to the forefront rather than the superstar.

romio
7th February 2006, 01:35 PM
Thanmathra' bags five state film awards

Lalettan Again :D got record for winning state several time Soon
Break National 8-) 8-)

Congrats on winning the award again LALETTA, you deserve it
One of the greatest actors in all of film history of mankind 8-)

:thumbsup: JAI JAI LALETTA :clap:

7th FEB 12:56 hrs IST

`Thanmathra' bags five state film awards
- -

Thiruvananthapuram: `Thanmathra' (Molecule), a moving tale of the tragedy engulfing a nuclear middle-class family with the husband falling prey to Alzheimer's disease, bagged five awards including that of best film and director in the Kerala state film awards announced on Tuesday.

Blessy was chosen the best director and script-writer for the film while Mohanlal got the best actor award for his outstanding performance in the movie. Teenage actor Arjun Lal's performance in the film got him a special jury mention. The jury commended the technical excellence of the film in all areas.

Navya Nair got the best actress award for her roles in `Saira' and `Kanne Madanguka.' Bhavana was adjudged the second best actress for her performance in `Daivanamathil.' `Achan Urangatha Veedu' directed by Lal Jose was chosen the second best film and Salim Kumar got the award for second best actor for his role in the film.

`Ananthabhadram', directed by Santosh Sivan, got five awards, including that of best cinematographer for the director. Other awards for the film are for music direction for song (M.G. Radhakrishnan), editing (Sreekar Prasad), art direction (Sunil Babu) and make-up (Pattanam Rasheed).

Music Director M. Jayachandran was chosen the best playback singer for his song in `Nottam' for which he himself did the music. K.S. Chithra was selected as the best female playback singer for her song in the same film.

`Achuvinte Amma' directed by Sathyan Anthikkad was chosen the best popular film with aesthetic appeal while Roshan Andrews was adjudged the best debut director for the film `Udayananu Tharam.'

http://www.manoramaonline.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=manorama/MmArticle/CommonFullStory&cid=1139220751089&c=MmArticle&p=1002194839100&count=10&colid=1002258272845&channel=News

http://www.mathrubhumi.com/php/newsDetails.php?news_id=126530&n_type=HO&category_id=&Farc=&previous=

Mohanlal Rockzzzzz lalfans Rockzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sandeep
7th February 2006, 02:43 PM
And the movie continues to do well in the box office.

Award and commercial success only Lal can do it. And he does it again and again.

Blessy gets his second award

1st film - Best newcomer director
2nd film - Best director

And sure Arjun Lal was the surprice package of Thamthra.

romio
8th February 2006, 03:19 PM
Chennai Box Office (Feb 03-05)

Wednesday, 08 February , 2006, 12:59

A small starless film Dishyum has netted nearly Rs 10 Lakhs from four Chennai screens in its opening weekend. At second place is Rang De Basanti which has taken a huge dip in its second week.

At third place is Ajit's Paramasivan. The Mohanlal classic Tanmatra is at fourth place. In its first week netted Rs 4.45 Lakhs and three days of the second week has netted Rs 2. 26 Lakhs. It is very impressive collections for a Malayalam film in Chennai.

At fifth place is Aathi hangs on.

Thanmathra Hit in Chennai box office too
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/boxoffice/fullstory.php?id=14136711 :)