PDA

View Full Version : LEGENDARY AMITABH

nilavupriyan
14th November 2005, 09:07 PM
heyy guys...

in this thread we can discuss about the performances of amitabh in various films...

though i have watched only few movies .."akri rashta","sholay" etc....u guys can discuss greatly!

ssanjinika
14th November 2005, 09:27 PM
I love Amitab in comic roles.I think one of his best yet underrated performances was in chupke chupke.He steals the show as an absent minded professor!

lordstanher
14th November 2005, 09:37 PM
Aaah!! Finally a thread abt my avtaar!! :D :D

I liked him best in his '70s/'80s movies.......esp. his action ones......not jus bcos of the fighting he does but even the dialogues/emotions of his in those r worth commending (understatement!)......:thumbsup:
Mainly y I put up only '70s images of his as my avtaar, my current avtaar a shot of him from 'Zanjeer', circa 1973, which got him the image of the 'angry young man'!
Abt Chupke Chupke, well I do think he played even his comedy part well in tat but the limelight seems to've been stolen by Dharmendra in it!
Will be back shortly w/ my new username to discuss more abt Big B! :D
Catch u later, guys!

S.Balaji
14th November 2005, 10:34 PM
A thread for Amitabh !! great....

He is the first guy to bring out the ANGRY YOUNG MAN CHARACTER ....

Played as a support cast to Rajesh Khanna in Anand......went on to establish himself as the greatest Bollywood actor of 20th century.....

The turning point of his career came from the movie Zanjeer which is the current avatar of Lord Stanner !

Sholay was another milestone for him....

The late 70s and the 80s were all Amitabh's ....

Silsila was another turning point in his career...

In Coolie I think while doing the stunt scene was badly hurt ( I think the culprit was Puneet issar - Duryodhana of Mahabarath fame ) .... and the whole India prayed for his life....

Later.... staged a remarkable comeback.... and reestablished himself as a character actor...and is still around... ......

Great , majestic and dominating personality....

A true legend....

Shakthiprabha.
15th November 2005, 03:05 PM
Whats that bit about puneet issar and amitabh@ s.balaji.

I loved him in chupkE chupkE as saajinika said. Ive not/I do not watch much movies.Ive not watched the much spoken about 'SHOLAY'(as he dies in the end :cry:)

I liked him in lots of movies like amar akbar antony, anand,abhimaan,Muqaddar Ka Sikandar, sharaabi,hum,shehenshah,satte pe satta including recent movies like ek ajnabee, baagban, black etc...

He is a rare species who has CLASS mixed with right dosage of STYLE!

Anoushka
15th November 2005, 05:01 PM
I liked Amithabh in Anand (he looked so young and vulnerable in that!), Abhimaan, Silsila (who can forget "Rang barse..."), Khabi Khabi & Mili

He was good in Sholay too, but I think the movie as a whole was good and each one of them had done their character very well!

Lambretta
16th November 2005, 08:22 PM
Played as a support cast to Rajesh Khanna in Anand......went on to establish himself as the greatest Bollywood actor of 20th century.....
The turning point of his career came from the movie Zanjeer which is the current avatar of Lord Stanner !
Lord who???!! :wink: :D
Yup I'm back finally! w/ a new identity (but the same avtaar! :D)
Neways, it seems tat few ppl. know abt AB's first/debut film, Saat (7) Hindustani in 1969, a low-budget B/W film based on the liberation of Goa from the Portugese........
He then of course played the supporting role of 'Babu Moshai' Dr. Banerjee in Anand (1970), then acted in a few movies tat didn't click (Sanjog, Parwana- 1971), then the comedial role in Bombay to Goa (1972), then finally if I'm not wrong, Zanjeer ('73), which changed his destiny.......

Sholay was another milestone for him....
Hmm..yes but except for one dialogue of his (tumhara naam kya hai Basanti), it was Dharmendra who got into the limelight for this......the only song I like in this movie is "Yeh dosti" where they steal tat Enfield bike w/ a side trailer & go along singing.......

In Coolie I think while doing the stunt scene was badly hurt ( I think the culprit was Puneet issar - Duryodhana of Mahabarath fame ) .... and the whole India prayed for his life....
Um...was it Coolie?? Neways, lucky he survived to act further........

reestablished himself as a character actor...and is still around...
Yes, but I'm not as impressed to see him in this role as opposed to the "angry young man" (except for Baghban- his role was superb in it! :thumbsup: ).....nor do I like his brown hair + goatee as much (jus me tho!)

S.Balaji
16th November 2005, 08:32 PM
Lambretta / Lordie :o

Welcome back in new name dear friend....

So....you are not happy with the current roles being played by Amitabh...

I thought he did well in a small role in Veer Zaara...... as a typical Punjabi Sher......

dancing at ease with Hema.....

Shahrukh...giving a good support and playing a low profile in front of Amitabh...

A nice movie to watch....

Though Amitabh appeared for a shortwhile only...still made his impact...

S.Balaji
16th November 2005, 08:36 PM
Whats that bit about puneet issar and amitabh@ s.balaji.

While doing a stunt scene for Coolie..... Puneet and Amitabh were doing the fight sequence....and Puneet just lifted and threw him down...and Amitabh badly got hurt....and was virtually in coma stage for several days...was hospitalised ....and the whole India was praying ..for his recovery..

I recollect Nambiar also prayed to Lord Ayyappa...that he will bring Amitabh to Sabarimala.......if he recovers....and subsequently Amitabh went with Nambiar to offer prayers to the Lord Swami Ayyappan....

Lambretta
16th November 2005, 09:30 PM
Lambretta / Lordie :o

Welcome back in new name dear friend....
Tks Balaji! :D

So....you are not happy with the current roles being played by Amitabh...
Hmm.......well, I know I can't go against time....but I jus miss the angry young man! :(

I thought he did well in a small role in Veer Zaara...... as a typical Punjabi Sher......
dancing at ease with Hema.....
Shahrukh...giving a good support and playing a low profile in front of Amitabh...
Oh....well, I havn't seen tat movie yet! :D
But still, I personally felt many of his current roles, like his action in the rap song in Bunty & Babli marred his original image tat the nation fell for! :(
Not jus films. I even thot it demeaning for him to beg the little boy for Pepsi in the Pepsi ad a few yrs ago, u rem. where the kid finally asks "mujko aap ullu smajthe?" (u think I'm a fool?)......!

Lambretta
16th November 2005, 09:36 PM
While doing a stunt scene for Coolie..... Puneet and Amitabh were doing the fight sequence....and Puneet just lifted and threw him down...and Amitabh badly got hurt....and was virtually in coma stage for several days...
Ohh.......I rem. being told tat Amitabh made a big jump in the scene & hit against sumthing......so the movie Coolie was postponed & finished later? 'wonder if Puneet did tat deliberately or by accident tho......
I rem. my parents telling me a similar "accident" where M R Radha had once really shot Sivaji (if I rem. rite) in the neck.....?

S.Balaji
16th November 2005, 11:19 PM
[quote="Lambretta"]
Ohh.......I rem. being told tat Amitabh made a big jump in the scene & hit against sumthing......so the movie Coolie was postponed & finished later? 'wonder if Puneet did tat deliberately or by accident tho......

Lamby.....

Amitabh was lifted and pushed inadvertently by Puneet Isaar and accidently he fell over a table or chair and got badly hurt....
Yes the shooting for Coolie was postponed and got completed later... I have not seen the movie...but I believe the scene which he got hurt was also picturised and was part of the movie as a slow motion...Not sure about this....

I rem. my parents telling me a similar "accident" where M R Radha had once really shot Sivaji (if I rem. rite) in the neck.....?

It was MGR who was shot by M.R.Radha....and MRR shot himself also in the process..( I think he was drunk )....
Though MGR was badly hurt on his throat...but recovered soon..... but lost his voice....still continued with his own voice.....and didnt use dubbing voice.....

Shakthiprabha.
16th November 2005, 11:34 PM
oh sad.... my god.... every professoin has its risk!

yup in veer zara, AMITABH was kool and punjabi sher song was good with macho effect.

S.Balaji
17th November 2005, 12:11 AM
Amitabh...like other actors... needlessly ventured into politics ..... during the Rajiv Gandhi period.... in the 84 elections I think ...from Amethi or Allahabad..... and won comfortably....but could not contribute much for the constituency....got a very bad name..

besides got involved in financial controversies......and finally resigned from the membership......
Its surprising to see JayaBachan having entered politics through Samajwadi party ....probably Amarsingh is Amitabh's friend and he had to oblige......

Amitabh's venture into film production ...ABC corp was also a misadventure......and he burnt his fingers heavily.....
Fortunately....thanks to Star tv .....Kaunbanega crorepathi...and other ads.....he managed to stage a financial recovery.....

and now is safe I think.....

ssanjinika
17th November 2005, 07:21 PM
I agree that inbetween (say the time when ajooba and such disasters came out) amitabh went for some really dumb roles..but these days I think hes cracking the show.In any role hes good is what I feel.I hope you guys saw black.If you didnt please check it out.I have this vague aversion towards Sanjay leela bansali movies but I still checked out Black and believe me hes awesome in the movie.I loved him in Sarkar too.

Shakthiprabha.
18th November 2005, 12:46 PM
BLACK IS AWESOME. unbelievably great. I dont know whom to commend. Ranimukherjee or amitabh.

MOVIE TO WATCH.

I would say it was like WATCHING A POETRY IN MOTION.

ssanjinika
21st November 2005, 08:21 PM
Yea..I was dissappointed that Black didnt get selected to be sent to the Oscars.

Another great Amitab movie is Anand.I know everyone speaks about Rajesh Kumar in the movie but Amitab is no less awesome .In the end when he hears Babumoshai in Rajesh kumar's voice the expression on his face ..the hope mixed with disbelief ...its simply WOW!!

Shakthiprabha.
21st November 2005, 09:36 PM
Why was black NOT SELECTED TO OSCARS?

Which were the movies selected?

ssanjinika
21st November 2005, 11:45 PM
Didnt you know?? Paheli is going in as Indias entry :(

Sandeep
22nd November 2005, 07:23 AM
Black did get selected because it is the remake of an English movie.

nilavupriyan
22nd November 2005, 08:19 AM

and it was made in their style...doesnt have originality i guess

Lambretta
22nd November 2005, 12:46 PM
Didnt you know?? Paheli is going in as Indias entry :(
Really?! :shock: I wish it'd been Swades! :wink: :D

Lambretta
22nd November 2005, 12:57 PM
Another great Amitab movie is Anand.I know everyone speaks about Rajesh Kumar in the movie but Amitab is no less awesome .In the end when he hears Babumoshai in Rajesh kumar's voice the expression on his face ..the hope mixed with disbelief ...its simply WOW!!
Um......SS, its Rajesh KHANNA! :lol2:
Yea Amitabh is also good in it altho u might've heard tat in his early films ppl. hardly like him, esp. when comp'd w/ Rajesh........
And btw, if u noticed a strange directional "trick" in this movie, in the 1st scene, Amitabh is shown driving a Black Fiat (Padmini type)...there r also 2 guys who comment tat nowadays they see only cars instead of cycles......
But in the scenes after tat thruout the movie, Amitabh is shown driving a much older ('50s) Fiat w/ a carrier on the roof, altho in the same Black colour.....! :D
Oh yea, I find so far nobody's mentioned Amitabh's history b4 his acting days.......I read abt it in his interview w/ RD last year.......the most interesting part I find is tat he first got a job as an executive in "Blackbird & co." in Calcutta & was provided a co. car, a Morris Minor, which was later replaced by a Standard Herald! :D 'wonder how he cud fit comf'bly into tat car tho, being so tall! (I rem. Heralds were driven mostly by short ppl.!)....
He then left said job in 1968/69, determined to be an actor & moving to Bbay w/ only a few belongings besides his driving liscence!

ssanjinika
22nd November 2005, 06:42 PM
Knew I was making a mistake !!!
As long as you guys understood....:P.

ssanjinika
22nd November 2005, 06:47 PM

I wouldnt say its an exact copy of the english movie.After all its about a real life personality.(Helen Keller if someone didnt know).The twist about alzhimers was definitely new.Then english movie didnt have it neither did the real Hellen Kellers teacher Anna.
But you are right though it wouldnt have made such an impact because movies like this have already been made.But I do wish someother movie had been selected togo the oscars though.Paheli is slow and there have been quite a few movies made about ghosts/angels falling in love and wanting to turn human in english too.

Lambretta
22nd November 2005, 06:53 PM
Knew I was making a mistake !!!
As long as you guys understood....:P.
Hmm.......I think I did....! :wink: :lol2:
But hey......cudn't help talkin abt all tat.......! :huh:
As long as u understood! :wink:

Lambretta
22nd November 2005, 07:06 PM
And now, reverting from Paheli to the topic in qsn., I saw 'Kala Patthar' (1978) y'day afternoon on Sony Max........altho this wasn't the 1st time I was seeing it, I wanted to see it fully again...but unftly had a class at 3pm!
Amitabh acts as a court-marshalled Ship captain working as a coal mine labourer.......in one scene the bad guys who hav a grudge on him block hos way out w/ sum heavy slabs.......while working his way out, one slab falls on his leg, injuring him.......he's rescued by Shashi Kapoor (the engineer) & taken to the doctor (Rakhee).......while treating him she wants to give him an anasthetic but he refuses....then she says in English "y don't u understand".......to which he replies "y don't U understand, doctor?? Pain is my destiny & I have to face it!".......wow! Tat one line of his really captivated me at the moment! :D 8-)

ssanjinika
22nd November 2005, 07:25 PM
Ahh..Lamby your making me wish I could see all these movies now.I have a facination for old hindi and tamil movies if you havent guessed that yet :wink:.Unfourtunately the CDs arent that easily available and we dont have sony Max :(.

Lambretta
22nd November 2005, 07:35 PM
Ahh..Lamby your making me wish I could see all these movies now.I have a facination for old hindi and tamil movies if you havent guessed that yet :wink:.Unfourtunately the CDs arent that easily available and we dont have sony Max :(.
Actually I did guess tat.....cos u recently told me how u wish u lived in the '60s & 70s too (birds of a same feather? :wink: :lol2: )......
Neways, u must be having other Hindi channels surely? Zee cinema/B4U r also channels where old Hindi movies r shown......
Oh, and btw, tks very much for calling me by a more appropriate abbrev. (*phew*)......'appreciate tat! :notworthy: :mrgreen:

ssanjinika
23rd November 2005, 07:20 PM
Neways, u must be having other Hindi channels surely? Zee cinema/B4U r also channels where old Hindi movies r shown......
Yup we do..but its expensive and you wont get it through cable.We do have a dish and subscribed for Sun TV alone(I know its awful..but when I got married and came here, it was the first time I left good old chennai for any period of time and was missing just hearing thamizh mozhi hence the Sun TV.Now its become a habit)
We did have B4U but realised that both of us work for more than 8 hours and along with the commute the total amount of time we are at home is around 14 hours .Out of these 14 hours take out around 6-7 hours for sleep and then 2 hours for household chores and an hour for gym workout...that leaves 4 hours.My husband is a sports freak so the only channel he watches with any enthu is ESPN.I love to cook and I watch food TV quite a bit along with TNT ,another channel which airs reruns of hit comedy shows like Friends and such..In the remaining time I like to watch Sun TV :P.There was no time to watch anyother channel.If it wasnt expensive we would have loaded up our Dish but as it stands its SunTV for now :P.

*Phew* writing that post exhausted me :D.

Oh, and btw, tks very much for calling me by a more appropriate abbrev. (*phew*)......'appreciate tat! :notworthy: :mrgreen:

:lol:
Not a problem.Least I could do is add another letter to ur abb name.

Lambretta
23rd November 2005, 07:42 PM
*Phew* writing that post exhausted me :D.
Reading it made me imagine so! :D
Neways, hope ur able to get one of these channels (or good VCDs) in future! :)
Btw, do u live in Maryland?? We'd lived there for a year (Baltimore) in 1985-86.....I hav jus vague memories of tat place now! :)

ssanjinika
23rd November 2005, 07:55 PM
Yup we do..I infact work in Balitmore downtown.Nothing worth remembering about Baltimore..though otherplaces in the state are good.

Lambretta
23rd November 2005, 11:13 PM
Yup we do..I infact work in Balitmore downtown.Nothing worth remembering about Baltimore..though otherplaces in the state are good.
Ohh......tats interesting to know! :) U mus be knowing Johns Hopkins Med. University? My parents did their Masters in Pub. Health there.
As for wats is worth remembering.....well, I rem. mostly the cars I wud see on the roads there, besides a little abt the house where we'd lived & my daycare centre! :)

ssanjinika
28th November 2005, 08:26 PM
****DIGRESSION*******
Wow!! Ive heard it said that its the worlds best Medical school/hospital.
(Only)Son of doctors huh??Dont people keep asking you "how come you didnt become a doctor?"(thats assuming that your not studying medicine ofcourse).
****END DIGRESSION*******
BTW Saw Sholay(again) the other day.Wow what a movie.Amitabh was brilliant in that.Apart from Hema Malini who got on my nerves a bit every other part in the movie was awesome.Cool bit of acting from th Big B!

Lambretta
28th November 2005, 09:43 PM
****DIGRESSION*******
Hi SS! :)
As a matter of fact, I was thinkin of u today...or rather ur old Herald, wondering wat it wud've looked like in cream & black.... (yea I know I'm making u sick! :wink: :lol: )

Wow!! Ive heard it said that its the worlds best Medical school/hospital.
Ohh....is it? wasn't aware of tat.....:)

(Only)Son of doctors huh??Dont people keep asking you "how come you didnt become a doctor?"(thats assuming that your not studying medicine ofcourse).
Nope I'm not! And I guess my parents never forgave me for tat! :lol:
I wanted to be an architect but wasn't gud enuff at Maths! (:()......then went to study Biz.admin at Sing. but found it too exp...so joined BA English @ IGNOU and am doing tat so far since I came back.....also teaching spoken English part-time.....
And pleez, no need to ask if ppl. ask me the usual qsn.- how/y I didn't become a doctor!! :roll: :roll: I'm used to it all now tho...... :lol:
And yes I'm an only son.......how did u figure out tat out btw?? :?

****END DIGRESSION*******

BTW Saw Sholay(again) the other day.Wow what a movie.Amitabh was brilliant in that.Apart from Hema Malini who got on my nerves a bit every other part in the movie was awesome.Cool bit of acting from th Big B!
Yea......he was of course awesome........personally I found Dharam getting on my nerves in tat movie tho......!

ssanjinika
28th November 2005, 09:57 PM
***CONTINUING DIGRESSION*****
Hi Lamby!

Guess what?? I was thinking abt u too.. rather talking about you :lol:.
Actually we were (my hubby and I ) watching this tam movie called "Uttaravu endri ulle vaa" yesterday where the hero Ravishankar drives a standard herald atleast thats what it looked like to me(I even paused the scene to make sure)!!Since I am not an authority on 1970s cars I couldnt be sure.It was cream in color and I wound up telling my hubby how there was this guy in my forum who adores the 1970s and loves the automobiles from that era esp the Herald.
Did I mention that the car in this movie was cream in color ??come to think of it ,it looked a lot like my old car except for the black beam.Well maybe the black was an customization ordered by my dad :?.The next time Im in India I'll look up old photos to refresh my memory :)

P.S Maybe we should pm eachother the next time we wantto talk about cars :P.

Lambretta
28th November 2005, 10:10 PM
***CONTINUING DIGRESSION*****

Guess what?? I was thinking abt u too.. rather talking about you :lol:.
Wow! Amazing coincidence! :shock: :lol:

Actually we were (my hubby and I ) watching this tam movie called "Uttaravu endri ulle vaa" yesterday where the hero Ravishankar drives a standard herald atleast thats what it looked like to me(I even paused the scene to make sure)!!Since I am not an authority on 1970s cars I couldnt be sure.
Um.....actually Heralds were made in the '60s.....but were popular in the '70s (& even '80s!).......was this an open-top??
Considering how old the film wud've been I guess it was a Herald as there were no other 'sporty' looking cars at tat time! :)

P.S Maybe we should pm eachother the next time we wantto talk about cars :P.
Sure......will do tat from now on! :D
Infact am gonna send u a pm rite now abt heralds tat u might like to chek out! :)

Surya
29th November 2005, 09:45 AM
I saw "Khakee" yesterday. And I must say....a dissappointment. :( B had done a good job, but the movie was missing a huge piece of the puzzle. I'm not able to pinpoint it, but something is missing.

Lambretta
29th November 2005, 12:48 PM
Hey, I saw SPrabha's post in the other rthread sayin tat Big B is hospitalised rite now! :shock:
Ne-one knows y??

Sandeep
29th November 2005, 12:57 PM
He had stomach ache.

Shakthiprabha.
29th November 2005, 01:33 PM
Check out this url lambretta and others.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1311303.cms

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1311219.cms

Lambretta
29th November 2005, 01:41 PM
Tks SP!
Well, glad to know tat he's stable now.......:)

Lambretta
29th November 2005, 06:30 PM
Surprise surprise! :D

I am Hale & Hearty: Amitabh

A routine checkup for a stomach infection was blown out of all proportions by an over-zealous section of the electronic media.

Amitabh Bachchan isn't the country's biggest star for nothing. "What I do and also what I don't do are blown out of all proportions," he laughs.

Hence a visit to a Delhi hospital en route to Mumbai was taken to be enough signal for the some tv channels to go ballistic with speculation.
"I'm fine and there's absolutely no cause for alarm. On Sunday I was in Lucknow for a function on the occasion of my father's (poet Harivanshrai Bachchan) birthday. Today on the way back to Mumbai I had this minor ailment. That's all. No need to raise a hue and cry about it when there's so many important national issues that require urgent attention," says AB.
Though the news of his hospitalization on Monday morning turned out to be much ado about hardly anything, it's a fact that Mr Bachchan needs to look after himself. Most of his well-wishers feel he's going way beyond the schedules prescribed for someone his age.
"He really needs to slow down. But Pa just doesn't listen," says Abhishek. "Last week he returned from New York and went straight into Ravi Chopra's Babul.On Sunday he was at a function in Lucknow on the occasion of his father the late Harivanshrai Bachchan's birthday. On Monday morning he felt queasy in the morning, but in control. But the health warning has been served. It's time to take it easy."

Chek out: http://msn.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=8838

Shakthiprabha.
29th November 2005, 09:31 PM
:smile:

ssanjinika
6th December 2005, 02:45 AM
Actually he had some surgery and is now recovering...dont know what surgery

Sandeep
6th December 2005, 09:13 AM
SP leader Amar Singh claiming that AB had been denied the honour of inaugurating the IFFI at Goa due to political reasons. Singh displayed an invitation letter dated October 26 to Bachchan from Goa chief minister Pratapsinh Rane, which was later withdrawn apparently for his proximity to the SP. He also lambasted Doordarshan, accusing it of "blacking out" the star's illness.

Lambretta
6th December 2005, 01:39 PM
Actually he had some surgery and is now recovering...dont know what surgery
My mum was saying sumthing to do w/ the colon......she said tis due to poor dietary habits, lack of fibrous food intake........
Hmm.......looks like Big B hasn't been too conservative in his diet lately! :)
But hey, I can't believe the organisers of KBC2 who sounded more worried abt his continuity as their show's host rather than his health.........read an article abt it........they shud give the man a break for a while! :x

Sandeep
6th January 2006, 10:48 AM
National Organisation for Tobacco Eradication (NOTE-India) has accused Amitabh Bachchan of violating Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products Act, 2003 by appearing in an advertisement which shows him smoking a cigar and served a legal notice to him.

The hoarding displayed along national highway near Panaji city which advertises yet-to-be released "Family" movie along with anchor appliances. Amitabh is shown putting cigar in his mouth.

Lambretta
8th January 2006, 10:49 AM
National Organisation for Tobacco Eradication (NOTE-India) has accused Amitabh Bachchan of violating Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products Act, 2003 by appearing in an advertisement which shows him smoking a cigar and served a legal notice to him.
The hoarding displayed along national highway near Panaji city which advertises yet-to-be released "Family" movie along with anchor appliances. Amitabh is shown putting cigar in his mouth.
As long as there is supply (sale) of cigars/cigarettes its no use policing those r seen smoking it.....! There r so many famous Businessmen/politicial leaders who smoke too.

Sandeep
11th January 2006, 03:22 PM
Amitabh Bachchan has apologised to an anti-tobacco group for appearing in an advertisement showing him smoking a cigar.

'I am deeply apologetic of the advertisement that has hurt the sentiments of the people at large and organisations such as yours,' Bachchan said in a letter to Shekhar Salkar, general secretary, the National Organisation for Tobacco Eradication.