PDA

View Full Version : PETS![what they have done for you and you for them]

blahblah
2nd December 2004, 12:44 PM
Many of us have pets and a lot to tell about them.Some times they are a bit of nuisance,some times great help and some times just good timepass.Some of us treat them well,some badly.We all like to have them around in times of loneliness and atleast on rare occasions they are better company than humans!So tell us all about your pets,how much they mean to you and you to them.Could be little incidents that have happened at your home in the past or your current pets.

hehehewalrus
2nd December 2004, 12:55 PM
hi blah blah
superb thread, hats off to you!! :)
Had 3 pets(dogs) so far, one of which is no more after a loyal life.
Lot of funny incidents with them.

Never successful with cats. Had fish for some time but they died - I had been to my mother's lab as a kid, saw the fish and said I wanted them. She bought me a few small ones and I took them home in a small bottle. There was a long discussion between my dad and mom that night as to why she bought those poor fish in a small bottle - finally dad relented and purchased a big aquarium next day. They died after a year.

Hope to see many posts in this thread :)

hehehewalrus
3rd December 2004, 12:24 AM
why isnt anyone posting

Querida
3rd December 2004, 12:29 AM
uhhhh well i have fish...two koi....they have grown to a reasonable size...went thru an unfortunate mess of small fish....people if you buy fish dont go for cheapness...most likely they will pass on sick fish to you which die within days! have had some bad experiences with dogs....so am a bit afraid of them...cats...well....im asthmatic..so even though i like them...im allergic to them....and you know it's not their fur that agitates the allergic reaction it's actually a chemical in their saliva that stays on their fur when they lick themselves clean...hairless cat would solve that problem....but they look so creepy :P

Sandeep
3rd December 2004, 12:35 AM
I dont know whether i should post in this thread. But let me test water.

I dont like to have pets. I never had one. At a time my house owner has a cute cat and a good dog. But they where cute and good as long as they stayed with him. Once they come near me wagging tales and all I get pissed off.

I always avoid them.

hehehewalrus
3rd December 2004, 12:42 AM
wagging tails are fun :)

I can detect when a dog is smiling. if you are observant you can see the smile that a dog gives.

Sometimes when my dog tries something weird and i shout at him, he smiles to flatter as if to say "lemme do this just one more time".

Querida
3rd December 2004, 12:44 AM
I dont know whether i should post in this thread. But let me test water.

I dont like to have pets. I never had one. At a time my house owner has a cute cat and a good dog. But they where cute and good as long as they stayed with him. Once they come near me wagging tales and all I get pissed off.

I always avoid them.

hmm yes i know what you mean....i dont get pissed off but i get afraid when people walk their dogs and have big grins on their faces...telling me while i approach "he/she won't bite" im not the type to be comfortable with them in my lap, my bed, literally my house, i guess that's why fish are the exception :x ...that and i read it watching fish lowers bp...it probably lowers alot other things like interest in life :P

santhyr
3rd December 2004, 11:22 AM
Well i never had a pet of my own. But one of my friends was studying in college and i got dogsit her dog. I used to take the dog to beach and walk with it , to the vet to have its shot, to the photostudio to have a pic taken etc. The dog started getting very attached to me. My friends grandma began to get jealous b'cos she's the owner of the dog. So one fine day the granny took the dog to some remote place, set it free and came back. Since that day i have never seen that dog again, but the experience with it is forever in my heart

blahblah
3rd December 2004, 11:36 AM
OK,Since I don't see many serious takers for this,I will start with one.My mom never wanted to have dogs around since she thought they were unclean,but we always kept cats[Querida,I too was asthmatic and allergic to fur,mind you] and many of them.Now some people say cats aren't as intelligent as dogs,but they are cuter.

This incident happened when we were all little children.We had a female cat,grey in colour,[who incidently was called Browney :lol: in memory of my old pet,a little lamb whose tragic tale I will narrate later] and quite old.My family constituted of my father,mother and we three boys.Our house is located on a hill and is covered on one side with rubber plantations,two sides with coffee plantations and one side with a noisy stream with its many falls,made all newcomers sleepless for the night.

This particular night,my dad was out for a liberal serving of palm toddy at the nearest 'Kallushaappu' :wink: as was his usual custom.It was around 8 pm and my mom was working in the kitchen with two of us flanking her for pieces of coconut and jaggery :lol: which if eaten together and in the right proportion,is a good competitor for any five star dessert.Then the cat came running to my mom started mewing in a loud voice and rubbing her on the ankles with its body.It ran out in a few seconds and came back immediatly and continued the same act,this time with a greater note of urgency in its cries :? .It again ran out into the coffee shrubs and my mom took note.Loud hissing noises started coming from the darkness :o .There came the cat again and my mom said"she has seen something and is trying to tell me about it".

That precise moment,my father walked in with a neighbour. Now,Browney knew who the master of the house was.She turned her attention to my dad.After a brief chat,my father and the friend decide to comb the whole plantation from different sides.Soon they were lost in the darkness with the thick coffee shrubs made the darkness impenetrable.We were looking anxiously when a Russel's viper,the biggest I have ever seen, began its descend from the makeshift mud and stone wall behind our house coming straight towards our house.My mom called out to our father but her voice was lost in the thud of the water falls :shock: .We had forgotten about the cat then.Moments later my father appeared on the scene,and killed the snake with his long cane which all houses in our snake infested area keep.Later he told us that the cat had alerted him while he was in the plantation,the same way she did with my mother :? .

Browney has died years back,but we all remember her for her intelligence,timely intervention and the trust and loyalty she had with us :( .

davie
3rd December 2004, 11:52 AM
[quote=Sandeep]I do i guess that's why fish are the exception :x ...that and i read it watching fish lowers bp...it probably lowers alot other things like interest in life :P

:lol: :lol: Try a aquarium screen saver

sonu gopi
3rd December 2004, 11:57 AM
We had a female cat,grey in colour,who incidently was called Browney

We had a female cat too named Browney! Very intelligent but had a tragic death. I love animals esp. dogs but when the time comes for them to go - I am not able to take the pain! :cry: :cry:

SONUC GOPI :)

a.ratchasi
3rd December 2004, 03:01 PM
I have fish at my workstation, bedroom and living room!
Boy, arent they cute?
hmmmm....makes me wonder why are all fighting fish?

Sandeep
3rd December 2004, 06:36 PM
OK,Since I don't see many serious takers for this

I think the problem is "Pets saving human" may not be a very common incident. But yes yours is a incredable story. The cat is a "Hero".

I think it will change my view when a cat comes near me wagging its tail and rolling on the floor near me.

blahblah
4th December 2004, 11:14 AM
Sandeep,don't be a sexist.The cat is a heroine. :evil:

OK Guys, now the opposite part of the story.Once our heroine found herself a proud mother of three though in a way quite unacceptable in a decent family.The matter was that a stray cat ,with whom she had a brief affair had fathered her children :wink: .As we had more cats than we could look after,we looked for another home for the orphans.But that particular season had kitten everywhere :o [may be the stray cat strayed too much :lol: ].My mom's last hope was that the stray cat himself will come and eat up the kids!Now this is a common practice among the males in many animal species[Not human,you ladies learn to respect your men 8) ] so that the female would come to heat soon.This too didn't happen!

So one fine afternoon myself and my younger brother were assigned the difficult task of getting rid of the kittens by bundling them into a gunny sack and simply throwing them into the violent stream with many falls which bordered our land :cry: [this may look a horrible solution,but is quite common in village areas and not considered a sin].Now when it came to this,we both thought about it.Three faces looked up at us and mewed in innocence.Three pairs of jet black ,watery eyes told us :"You can save us" :cry: .I couldn't stand it,and so was my brother.We took them to a field 1 km away and left them near a foot path so that some one will see them.

We went back home and told them all that we got rid of the kittens. But as always ,the truth comes out.Three hungry and tired kittens turned up at the kitchen to our great surprise,in a few hours, without a trace of water on their bodies ,and our secret was out!But the result of our good deed was that our parents allowed them to be brought up in our house too.They lived for long and one of those guys had exactly the same habits as his 'Great Pa'. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Querida
4th December 2004, 12:04 PM
oh you almost got me sick when i thought you seriously were going to drown those kitties :shock: :( ...anyways thanx for the post...really enjoyed reading both your incidents... :D

hehehewalrus
4th December 2004, 09:20 PM
This is a story from the late 50s and early 60s when my mother was a small girl !
My grandfather was moving to the city from the village and those days there wasnt a connecting bus from the village. There used to be a dog in the house. At day time, grandpa bundled all the stuff into bullock carts and the whole family travelled 30 kilometres away to the city. The dog wasnt aware of the migration and spent the day roaming around in the village.

Probably in the evening, he discovered that nobody was there in the vacated house. He must have followed the "scent"(?) of the bullocks, coz next morning when the family opened the door of the new house, they found this chap casually resting!

He probably would have been attacked by other dogs on his heroic journey the previous night - in a few days he fell sick and passed away. :cry:

geno
5th December 2004, 01:22 AM
Hey folks!

I dont have pets but i'll tellu u waht kinda pet i wish i had! :)

I want one biggg huge looking dog like "Scooby"!! :D

Just like "Scooby" it shud be "bayanthAngulli" dog!! :lol: :lol:

I hate dogs which threaten and bark and jump at you - when some one goes visiting to the house where they got dogs :evil:

I want a huge dog which is all timid and just looks cute and lazies around the house just like "scooby"!!!

Scoooob!! :lol:

Scooby-doo-wher-are-yu?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

hehehewalrus
6th December 2004, 12:51 AM
Geno :lol: :lol:

I have exactly that kind of dog - pomeranian :D

10 yrs old but less than 2 feet tall. I had purchased a toy-puppy that can squeak and jump when you turn on the battery, and my real dog ran under the couch on seeing the toy one :lol: :lol:

Most of the pomeranians are like scooby.

Querida
6th December 2004, 01:09 AM
:lol: :lol: @ Geno and Hehehewalrus...
how cute...it's also funny how Scooby nephew's is quite the opposite...with "Let me at'em Uncle Scoob" to every single scary thing they encounter :D

Bad Boy
6th December 2004, 02:40 AM

10 yrs old but less than 2 feet tall. I had purchased a toy-puppy that can squeak and jump when you turn on the battery, and my real dog ran under the couch on seeing the toy one :lol: :lol:

No comments but
ROTFL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Querida,
stick to Geno if you want to learn Tamil, he helps me a lot! And the Ulagam thread is mandatory.

geno
9th December 2004, 02:21 AM
Querida!! :D

yeah! "Scrappy doo" is the chivalrous "quixotic" pup! :)

walrus!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

but i have seen one "Scrappy" pomeraninan too! One of my friends had a particularly ruffian pom! - and it especially loved to pounce upon me whenever i visited him! :D

Querida
9th December 2004, 02:27 AM
Geno wow you are the only other person i know who uses quixotic! 8)

On the same topic...what is the words with the most vowels in the english language?

It's Eunoia
it means beautiful thinking or a normal mental state...whatever that is...totally depends on what you define as normal :D

hehehewalrus
9th December 2004, 06:01 AM
but i have seen one "Scrappy" pomeraninan too! One of my friends had a particularly ruffian pom! - and it especially loved to pounce upon me whenever i visited him! :D

ya i know :) Prob with Poms is you never know when they will eat(poor eaters), when they will bite(unpredictable biters).

my earliest memory of a Pom is in my childhood - one used to grab the shuttlecock whenever it went to him :evil:

Most of them will bark when they are in their owner's arms or lap.

When mine barks at strangers it always keeps its ears folded flat to its head(when Poms get scared, they flatten their ears) :D

mandangi
17th February 2005, 12:58 PM
I am not having pet. But my relatives used to have pet dog. Once when i went to their home their dog was seriously ill. I used to take care of it in that time. In my view dogs are best animals which are useful to human beings.

Roshan
17th February 2005, 01:33 PM
Hey folks!

I dont have pets but i'll tellu u waht kinda pet i wish i had! :)

I want one biggg huge looking dog like "Scooby"!! :D

Just like "Scooby" it shud be "bayanthAngulli" dog!! :lol: :lol:

Hey geno !! that was cute !! :) I often see a dog of such kind in a house close to one of my relatives place. It's huge like a lion and looks lazy and bayandankolli but the size itself makes me shiver. :shock:

I hate dogs which threaten and bark and jump at you - when some one goes visiting to the house where they got dogs :evil:

I hate tooooooooooooo :evil: I'm extremely afraid of dogs ( i think it's some kind of phobia I have got)When ever I visit a house I've never been before, I would never step in until I made sure there's no dogs there or the dogs are tied. When I see stray dogs on the road, I would stop and wait until those fellows get off my sight. I'm soooooo scared of dogs :shock:

Shakthiprabha.
17th February 2005, 01:39 PM
//In my view dogs are best animals which are useful to human beings.//

kewl mandangi, Dogs are indeed useful.

Man's best friend u see. Unfortunately, I am scared of pets.
(that includes, cats, dogs, etc)

___

I used to learn karnatic music . My music teacher's house would be filled iwth cats of all colours. They would lock it up in a room, whenever i go for my class. I also happen to see it littering. Its kinda sad the way it whines. ATleast humamns are able to talk our probs out.

It so happened that one fine day, the cat was out (of the bag! ? :lol:). I did not notice it. I was happily sinigng. When my classmate(music class mate) stopped his flute recital and grinned at me. I immy looked back to see a cat sitting on my duppatta. :(...

The way i screamed, shook everybody intensely. I was singing a tamizh song "arumarunthoru thani marunthu". The song took an awful pitch and shruthi, with my voice shaking (no not gamagam!!)
fiercely.

The worst part was all those flute guys were grinning :huh:

After my marriage, when I was independantly maintaining accounts for some sole proprietor concerns(with my husband's help). I happen not to GO INTO a HOUSE WHICH HAS a biggggggggg doberman(and they dont bother to tie up). My husband used to go to their house and do the interaction. I even lost that customer :(...so much for the fear of PETS!

THERE IS A JOKE in tamizh....

"vaanga vaanga naay onnum pannathu"

"athu ungaLukku theriyum naaykku theriyumaa"

__

I wish all ppl who own pets, PLS TIE THEM UP when visitors or strangers visit the house :(

__

Funniest thing is my husband's boss also owned 2 bigggggggggg dogs( dont know the breed) and he REFUSED TO TIE IT. Used to watch me sit in a corner shaking with fear. Finally I got over the fear, and even felt sad when it died :(

Those were the only 2 dogs i befriended. Their names were shilpa and Rani

:D

__

Nice musings! eh!

Akash
17th February 2005, 08:18 PM
My mom has Pet Rabbit!! its so cute....
It understand things!! though its not that intelligent as dog, it can adopt some habits. It uses its own place to litter... It will come if you call it by whistling!! :D

pavalamani pragasam
17th February 2005, 09:34 PM
[tscii:3ae9161849]We are a family-adults,babies et al-of dog-lovers. Our Caesar is a legend! My brother-in-law keeps a kennel-breeding pedigree breeds, trading the pups with birth certificates, training the dogs, and providing hostel accomodation for dogs when their owners are away. His chowchow, labradors & alsatians have won a lot of prizes in various dog shows. Loving a dog must be an affair of heart & instinct. It comes naturally. People born with this instinct are a blessed lot :D

This is about our "Caesar":

¿ñÀý

ÜÈò¾¡ý Å¡÷ò¨¾¸û §À¡¾¡Ð
§¸¡Ê ¦¸¡Îò¾¡Öõ ¸¢¨¼ì¸¡Ð
Á¡È¡¾ ÁÈ측¾ ÀüÚ «Ð
¦¸¡ïºÓõ ̨È¡¾ À¡ºõ «Ð
¿¢¨ÄÂ¡É ¿¢¨ÈÅ¡É ¿ðÒ «Ð
¾¨¼Â¢ýÈ¢ À¢ÃŸ¢ìÌõ °üÈÐ
¸½Óõ ¸ÅÉõ ¸¨Ä¡ ¸¡ÅÄÐ
ÐÊôÀ¡¸ µÊ ÅóÐ ¿¢ü¨¸Â¢§Ä
¦ÅÈ¢ò¾ÉÁ¡ö ¦¸¡ïͨ¸Â¢§Ä
«È¢§Å¡Î ¸ñ¸û À¡÷쨸¢§Ä
¬ÅÄ¡ö ¸¡ò¾¢ÕìÌõ À¡Åò¾¢§Ä
Å¡¨Ä ¬ðÎõ §Å¸ò¾¢§Ä
¾¢ÕôÀ¢ ¬ðÊ Á¸¢Æ
Å¡Ä¢øÄ¡¾Ð ̨ȧÂ.
[/tscii:3ae9161849]

pavalamani pragasam
17th February 2005, 11:05 PM
Scamp, Denis the Menace’s Ruff, Phantom’s Devil are some of the lovable samples of the species from the world of fiction- these are all time favourites- our children grew up loving them & still continue to love them. :D

hehehewalrus
17th February 2005, 11:39 PM
when i was in class 12, i was sitting between 2 guys. One of them was having his 20th dog. His uncle had 5 dogs at home. I visited his uncle's house once and got a chance to see them. One of them was too athletic and has acted in movies.
The other guy had 5 cats at home. He had an incredible way of befriending cats. I tried his methods but was very unsuccessful as i had 2 dogs already at home. Anyway pleased with the 2 of them :)

No end of dog vs cat fights while at school :lol2:

mandangi
18th February 2005, 07:34 AM
One of my relatives family used to have pet peacock. That peacock died by eating urea. Poisonous materials should be kept far from pets reach.

NM
18th February 2005, 07:45 AM
Yes, true..but some people go all out to get rid of others' pets..my dog died ..poisoned by one of my neighbours :cry: :cry: :cry:

mandangi
18th February 2005, 07:59 AM
I know one case. In Srikakulam in AP one person misbehaved with his neighbours wife. His neighbour and his wife abducted his pet dog and kept it in their relatives home. That case also went to police station. Targetting pets by personal hatred on others is not desirable.

hehehewalrus
18th February 2005, 08:07 AM
I was singing a tamizh song "arumarunthoru thani marunthu".
I have heard a song with words exactly like this. Is the next line of the song "Um parathil naan kandene" ? :o

Querida
18th February 2005, 08:08 AM
My mom has Pet Rabbit!! its so cute....
It understand things!! though its not that intelligent as dog, it can adopt some habits. It uses its own place to litter... It will come if you call it by whistling!! :D

my friend had a bunny called brownie...it use to always go stay in their garage and eat from their hand and also come when she called..her backyard goes off into a forest..well their rabbit one day got lost..and that summer instead of the normal white rabbits of the forests they got brown and white ones coming into their garden! :lol:

NM
18th February 2005, 08:56 AM
Querida.... :lol: :lol: :lol: that was funny!!

Roshan
18th February 2005, 09:05 AM
hahaha Queri , that was funny :lol: :lol:

blahblah
18th February 2005, 11:35 AM
my friend had a bunny called brownie...it use to always go stay in their garage and eat from their hand and also come when she called..her backyard goes off into a forest..well their rabbit one day got lost..and that summer instead of the normal white rabbits of the forests they got brown and white ones coming into their garden! :lol:

So all you people find it so funny to make fun of bunnies? :x

Next time you feel like insulting bunnies keep it to the brown and white once and stay away from the grey one,with a white patch. :twisted:

Roshan
18th February 2005, 12:00 PM
Colours dont make any difference blahblah !! :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
18th February 2005, 04:53 PM
[tscii:6eed9863bd]//One of my relatives family used to have pet peacock. That peacock died by eating urea. Poisonous materials should be kept far from pets reach.//

hi mandangi!!

wow! u guys had peacock!! Thats v.unique and interesting.
Peacock reminds me of RamaaShram, where I had been just couple of months back, to get off from regular chores. They maintain nice peahens and peacocks. Cute. really cute :D

So, anyone else ha sany queer pets?

Sometimes I dream, I should buy aruond 50 caged parrots take them to a jungle and FREE THEM OFF ! :)

__

hehehewalrus,

That song goes like this...

«ÕÁÕó¦¾¡Õ ¾É¢ ÁÕóÐ
«õÀÄò§¾ ¸ñ§¼§É

„ýí¸û

1. ¾¢ÕÁÕóмý À¡¸ÁÕóÐ
¾¢ø¨ÄÂõÀÄò¾¡Îõ ÁÕóÐ
þÕÅ¢¨É¸¨Ç «ÚìÌõ ÁÕóÐ
²¨Æ «Ê¡÷츢ÈíÌõ ÁÕóÐ

etc

___

[/tscii:6eed9863bd]

blahblah
18th February 2005, 05:03 PM
Sometimes I dream, I should buy aruond 50 caged parrots take them to a jungle and FREE THEM OFF ! :)

Great man!I too feel the same way,now that you spoke about it!

And Roshan,colour doesn't make a difference?We call it complexion.Imagine that you are a bunny girl[ofcourse unmarried].Would you prefer a brown bunny[ :roll: ],a white one[too dull :( ] or a smart guy with grey skin,sorry,hair with a white patch 8) .

And be honest! :evil:

Roshan
18th February 2005, 05:09 PM
Great man!I too feel the same way,now that you spoke about it!

And Roshan,colour doesn't make a difference?We call it complexion.Imagine that you are a bunny girl[ofcourse unmarried].Would you prefer a brown bunny[ :roll: ],a white one[too dull :( ] or a smart guy with grey skin,sorry,hair with a white patch 8) .

And be honest! :evil:

blahblah,
You got me wrong!! All what i meant was - what ever the color the quality would be the same :P :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
18th February 2005, 05:44 PM
//Great man!I too feel the same way,now that you spoke about it! //

hmm been my DREAM...really :)...One day I OUGHT TO FULFIL IT.
Pets in any form is actually against nature. This is my personal feeling. (not because I AM DEAD SCARED OF DOGS/CATS)

hehehewalrus
19th February 2005, 12:12 AM
shaktiprabha
what font should i use to read that song??

Pets are not at all against nature. How do you think street dogs and cats survive without food, baths and tick protection?? As long as you maintain your pet properly without any cruelty, its fine.

Querida
19th February 2005, 12:46 AM
So, anyone else has any queer pets?

well i know that brownie was straight and thriving :wink: but im not so sure about my fish :lol: :P and bugs well once he gets over that cross-dressing gimmick..well w'ell see... 8)

Shakthiprabha.
19th February 2005, 02:47 PM
hehehewalrus,

I had used unicode. I assumed many may be able to read tamizh here. Sorry. Here are the lines...

pallavi
_______

Arumarunthoru thani marunthu
ambalathE kandEnE

Sharanam

1. thirumarunthudan paagamarunthu
thillaiyambalathaadum marunthu
iru vinaigaLai arukkum marunthu
Ezhai adiyaark irangkum marunthu

etc.

I think its by shri.papanasam(I am not too sure,
so I stop from blabbering further)

querida,

whatever u said bout the 'bugs' WENT BEYOND MY LIL GREY CELL.

hehehewalrus, (ur name is the most shortest name I have ever typed)

I do agree, street dogs and cats, if protected at home, is not against nature. But, tell me, is it nature for dogs or cats, TO BE CHAINED, CAGED or jailed inside a limited space?

I am sure, any animal (given a chance to speak) would have probably said...

"LEAVE ME, I CAN FIND MY OWN FOOD, AND DO NOT WORRY BOUT MY
DAILY BATH OR CLEANLINESS" :lol:

Querida
20th February 2005, 08:42 AM
a-ok Shakti this here's just for ya:

So, anyone else has any queer pets?

well i know that brownie was straight and thriving :wink: but im not so sure about my fish :lol: :P and bugs bunny(aka that grey thang with the white patch...actually it's a terrible accident with bleach but that's another story :wink: ) well once he gets over that cross-dressing gimmick..well w'ell see... 8)

hehehewalrus
21st February 2005, 08:19 AM
SP,
I had the song in a book with the composer and raga. I dont have it now.

Thats not true, animals bred at home are definitely a lot healthier and even spoilt! Of course, there are people who ill-treat their own animals or take care of them with utter carelessness leading to harm.

BTW, refresh ur memory. The song might have been "paal irukkum, pazham irukkum" when the cat came ;)

hehehewalrus
21st February 2005, 08:39 AM
This incident happened in 1987. A fairly growing up puppy had crawled in through the fence and into our compound. It was wagging its tail like hell at everyone and its friendly behaviour earned itself a lot of bread and milk from our house.

I let it go after some time and it disappeared. A couple of days later I found it belonged to a house at the beginning of our street. They used to tie it up at the front of the house within their compound. I would often pass by their home when my parents leave for office and stealthily toss my old friend pieces of bread fully aware that the inmates never come out :D

Since then it used to furiously wag its tail whenever it saw me pass in the street. Its owners never suspected anything!

There is another event even more delightful and had tragic endings :cry: :cry:

Our immediate neighbor(an ill-tempered rough man) had a friendly dog with black spots running all over. He had a tremendous sense of understanding with humans.
As my mother left for school, I would walk with her for a considerable distance and then she would go the opposite direction to catch a bus. I would proceed and go along a national highway to my school. The whole journey was a walk of 10-12 minutes.

The first day, I tossed some food to the friendly dog and went on my way. The next day, he was waiting for me :D No food for the owner was a grumpy chap. But with some friendly signals I got the dog to follow me....I walked a long distance away and he was still keeping distance. Soon he followed me to my school and I quickly raced inside, cautious that the watchman might scold me thinking it was my dog. Wholeday I wondered if he got home safely and evening I could not find him. I felt guilty I'd enticed him and lost him somewhere.

But the next day my four-legged friend was enthusiastically waiting at his regular place for my arrival. This became a habit for over a month. My school friends would watch for us at the gates - I would go with this chap and once near the school, would dash inside without looking back, hoping he doesnt get in.

It was a fatal Saturday February 23 1991. Unexpectedly they kept school working that day till 12 PM. My fine friend was not in his place.
I lingered at the end of the street looking for him, and then left on my own. It was most unlike him to miss an appointment!

I discussed this with my mother that night's dinner. She gave me the heartbreaking news. Around noon that day, the owner dragged the doggie all hurt and sick from dogfights and tied him up in an isolated place in the sun! He was too sick and diseased to be touched with human hands :evil: . After yelping piteously for a couple of hours, he passed away. They tossed his carcass into a huge sewer that evening :cry: :cry: :cry: It was the third dog of his that died due to neglect! My closest friend used to volunteer for People for Animals years later. If only I had known him before, I would have surely got that owner arrested for his continuous neglect :evil: :evil:

nirosha sen
21st February 2005, 08:57 AM
:cry: Gee, Walrus - no SPCA in India???? Out here, most of the mean dog owners are mostly Chinese!! Don't know why some of em are so cruel though!!

I've a couple of doggy-doos too!! Call them Casper and Dixy Chick!! Male and female of course!! We had Dixy spayed when she turned 10 mths old and she's left loose all the time except when we have Muslim visitors.

Casper though, has a penchant for the two-wheelers!! Chases anybody on them and earns their wrath in the process. So, we have to tie him up in the mornings, but by 2 pm, when my hubby comes home, he puts on his pathetic whining, earning my spouse's sympathy and gets released in the process!! :)

hehehewalrus
21st February 2005, 09:03 AM
Nirosha
SPCA is there in india. But the police dont even bother about thefts, forget the issue of pets being illtreated. Unless you are a rich and powerful guy, being an animal activist is a waste.

nirosha sen
21st February 2005, 12:57 PM
:cry: Boy, in the land of Ahimsa and Vegetarians too, huh???!!!

I liked the dog who was Kamalahasan's character's pet who went by the name of Sanggu!! People had earlier named him"Shanyan"
The movie was "Anbe-Sivam"!! :D

Do you guys recall????!!! :P

Sandeep
21st February 2005, 01:02 PM
Hey all,

What do you all think about killing stray dogs. In bangalore for instance there is one dog bite incident every 12 minute.

Govt. of India has banned killing of stray dogs. This has resulted in a population explosion in dogs. Travelling late in the night has virtually become impossible.

Sterilisation of dogs has been proven to a failure.

blahblah
21st February 2005, 04:26 PM
Hey all,

What do you all think about killing stray dogs. In bangalore for instance there is one dog bite incident every 12 minute.

Govt. of India has banned killing of stray dogs. This has resulted in a population explosion in dogs. Travelling late in the night has virtually become impossible.

Sterilisation of dogs has been proven to a failure.

I am sorry to say this,but since I have lived in Bangalore for many years I know that it is a real menace.I do support killing stray dogs as I put public safety ahead of love for animals.

Roshan
21st February 2005, 04:33 PM
I am sorry to say this,but since I have lived in Bangalore for many years I know that it is a real menace.I do support killing stray dogs as I put public safety ahead of love for animals.

I 200% agree with blahblah !!

Akash
28th February 2005, 02:42 PM
Check this link, its great..... Video on Talking Parrot....

http://media.animal.discovery.com/fansites/petstar/videogallery/season3/ep309_winner.html