PDA

View Full Version : MAKKAL THILAGAM MGR !!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

m_23_bayarea
20th October 2005, 09:32 PM
Guys, I was just looking to post this news somewhere. Noticed that we have a thread for Sivaji already. So thought why not have one for MGR....After all, he's one of the biggest icons in Tamil cinema right....

m_23_bayarea
20th October 2005, 09:32 PM
MGR - The unending oxygen supply for AIADMK
October 20, 2005
Behindwoods.com

Jayalalitha, the Tamilnadu chief minister and AIADMK general secretary, showed her creative side when she wrote a poem on Chandran. The party celebrated its 33rd year and the party supremo penned her thoughts to mark the important day. Her poem says, the moon of the universe might fade from the evening sky but the Chandran on earth would never fade.

Obviously she is referring to the founder of the party, MG Ramachandran. The party has gained a lot of footage from the association of the former chief minister. Jayalalitha was only reinforcing the fact that MGR was the lifeline of the party even after his demise. Remotest corners of Tamilnadu still continue to spell magic when the name is taken aloud. MGR, is not a man, he is a legend. Some people go to the extent of saying that the legendary actor-politician is still alive somewhere.

Justice
20th October 2005, 10:02 PM
:clap:

good thread indeed

m_23_bayarea
20th October 2005, 10:14 PM

good thread indeed

Enna thambi, mudhal thadaiva namma onna yosikurom pola iruku... :lol: :lol:

Anyways, Thank yoo !!

stranger
20th October 2005, 10:18 PM
I know there are several MGR fans who do not come forward and say anything about him though they LOVE HIM and ENJOY his movies more than anything.

I really appreciate ur effort, bayarea, though I am not his fan.

You deserve :clap:

m_23_bayarea
20th October 2005, 10:27 PM
Stranger, you've crossed 1000 posts man....Congratulations !!!

Keep them coming.... :thumbsup:

nilavupriyan
20th October 2005, 11:07 PM
real hero

Crab
21st October 2005, 12:27 AM
My favourites - MGR, Kamal and Ajith - the trio have something in common.

They have a strong personality and never bent their principles for others.

:thumbsup:

Sanguine Sridhar
21st October 2005, 01:21 AM
To be fair i dont find anything special about MGR...Anyways No comments!

Justice
21st October 2005, 01:23 AM
mindsake :D (new word)

Justice
21st October 2005, 01:24 AM
actually the second time because you like Ajith too :wink:

but I don't want you to reply to this post :rotfl:

good thread indeed

Enna thambi, mudhal thadaiva namma onna yosikurom pola iruku... :lol: :lol:

Anyways, Thank yoo !!

Surya
21st October 2005, 01:25 AM
Excellent post about MGR being the neverending oxygen supply for AIADMK!! :thumbsup:

MGR the best CM after ANNA. 8-)

m_23_bayarea
21st October 2005, 01:27 AM

Che Che, I like Ajith too......(Just for you) :lol: :lol:

Ajith rocks !!! :thumbsup:

Justice
21st October 2005, 01:33 AM
well you have a bright future, keep on singing like that

you might win a lottery :D

but I think I told you not to reply to that post :lol:

Che Che, I like Ajith too......(Just for you) :lol: :lol:

Ajith rocks !!! :thumbsup:

Miss Chennai
21st October 2005, 01:34 AM
Bay Area - Kudos for opening up a thread for the EMPEROR OF TAMIL CINEMA - MakkaL Thilagam! :)

MGR the 3 letter magic ; the draling of the massess; A man who "invented" the concept of "HEROISM" in Tamil cinema and perhaps to be later followed by all actors! :clap:

MakkaL Thilagam was one man whose charisma and on screen-adulation was unrivalled and unparalleled till date in Tamil cinema! :thumbsup:

One man whom the other Tamil actors can only "wish" to emulate!

Even today in remote TN villages folks vote for "Irettai illai" thinking MGR in mind and some folks deny the fact that he is dead! :shock:

m_23_bayarea
21st October 2005, 01:36 AM
Ms. Chennai, That was awesome...thank you !!!

Surya
21st October 2005, 02:09 AM
Bay Area - Kudos for opening up a thread for the EMPEROR OF TAMIL CINEMA - MakkaL Thilagam! :)

MGR the 3 letter magic ; the draling of the massess; A man who "invented" the concept of "HEROISM" in Tamil cinema and perhaps to be later followed by all actors! :clap:

MakkaL Thilagam was one man whose charisma and on screen-adulation was unrivalled and unparalleled till date in Tamil cinema! :thumbsup:

One man whom the other Tamil actors can only "wish" to emulate!

Even today in remote TN villages folks vote for "Irettai illai" thinking MGR in mind and some folks deny the fact that he is dead! :shock:

Awesome POST!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

He also did the best things for the people.

Anna brought the "Sathu Unnavu thittam" and when Karunanithi came to power, he took it away!! But when Puratchi thalaivar MGR came, he brought it back. After he died, Karunanithi came back, and again took it away!! :evil:

Crab
21st October 2005, 02:40 AM
After MGR, Jayalalitha is probably the greatest ruler TN ever had.

During 1991-6, TN economy skyrocketed into the top five league.
But 1996-2001 was a period of recession and scandals under ailing Karunanidhi.
Again, 2001-6 has seen a hi-tech boom under Jayalalitha's leadership.

The election next year will make or break several careers - Vijaykanth, Stalin,...

Surya
21st October 2005, 02:43 AM
....:lol: here's something new!! JJ is the best after MGR??? WOW!!! :rotfl:

2 words: Brain Damage. :twisted:

rachel
21st October 2005, 03:24 AM

:lol: :lol:

anyway..i think mgr was a great guy...
i think he was generous and kind person...

m_23_bayarea
21st October 2005, 04:11 AM

The election next year will make or break several careers - Vijaykanth, Stalin,...

Crab machi, This might be the only one area where we might agree with one another I guess.....(sadly though :cry: )...

But I totally agree.....JJ rocks after MGR....Forget all those mishaps she did out of ignorance with Sasikala during the late 95-96 times....But hey, who doesnt make mistakes ??

m_23_bayarea
21st October 2005, 04:12 AM

Rachel Akka, Looks like even we might get together in this thread pretty well.... :lol: :lol:

rachel
21st October 2005, 04:25 AM

Rachel Akka, Looks like even we might get together in this thread pretty well.... :lol: :lol:

yes..mama...i don't want to disturb mgr's soul...i think he was a great leader....

Surya
21st October 2005, 04:30 AM

Crab machi, This might be the only one area where we might agree with one another I guess.....(sadly though :cry: )...

But I totally agree.....JJ rocks after MGR....Forget all those mishaps she did out of ignorance with Sasikala during the late 95-96 times....But hey, who doesnt make mistakes ??

I liked her until recent. I thought that she rocks too. I was on eof her bigest fans until a few months ago. I think she went insane after loosing in the LOK SABHA Elections. :cry:

Alien
21st October 2005, 05:05 AM

:clap: :thumbsup: vert true , I guess 8-)

MakkaL Thilagam was one man whose charisma and on screen-adulation was unrivalled and unparalleled till date in Tamil cinema!
I am not a fan of him, but from the very few movies I saw of him, I too felt so 8-)

Surya
21st October 2005, 05:12 AM
There is still an attraction for MGR in TN.

When there are no movies to run in theaters, theaters run MGR's movies, and the theaters get packed!!!

Like Bay said,
MGR is the never ending oxygen source for AIADMK. 8-)

Justice
21st October 2005, 05:18 AM
:clap: :thumbsup: agree on this, this is what puts them apart from other imbeciles

:clap: :thumbsup: vert true , I guess 8-)

njv
21st October 2005, 05:32 AM
So many things comes to so many ppl when they hear MGR. What comes to my mind is an old lady close to my house in india, still believe that MGR is alive and watching what Jaya and Karunanidhi is doing.

MGR - greatest personality ever in indian screen.

Surya
21st October 2005, 05:35 AM
So many things comes to so many ppl when they hear MGR. What comes to my mind is an old lady close to my house in india, still believe that MGR is alive and watching what Jaya and Karunanidhi is doing.

MGR - a great personality ever in indian screen.

Really? Huh....that kinda funny. MGR... the most sucesssful politician with a Cinema Background in India. When MGR was active, KK was lost! :lol:

Justice
21st October 2005, 05:36 AM
surya anne, please be realistic

you are shifting the tone of this thread

Really? Huh....that kinda funny. MGR... the most sucesssful politician with a Cinema Background in India. When MGR was active, KK was lost! :lol:

Surya
21st October 2005, 05:39 AM

read it again, it still goes under MGR and doesn't change any tone. :roll: This thread isn't just about his Acting Career, Makkal Thilagam also goes under Political since he did many good things to the people!!

Surya
21st October 2005, 05:44 AM
1000-thil oruvan. Clearly one of MGR's best!!! 8-)

Justice
21st October 2005, 05:47 AM
naan unga veetu pillai, ithu oor arinda unmai

naan sellukintra paathai :D

Btwn: surya, I'm surprised. you didn't say that he can't act or whatever.

let's hail the king

Crab
21st October 2005, 05:50 AM
"Atcham enbadhu madamaiyada" is evergreen.

How many of you are aware that DMK ignored MGR in the Fifties in favour of Sivaji?

MGR made his debut in 1936 while Sivaji made his debut in 1952 but quickly stole his thunder with sharp dialogue delivery.

In the Sixties, DMK shifted to MGR. This was a turning point in TN history.

:P

Surya
21st October 2005, 05:52 AM
But MGR was in DMK for a while before he went off to create ADMK.

Shivaji was never very good @ politics, he's agreed that himself.

Crab
21st October 2005, 06:00 AM
But MGR was in DMK for a while before he went off to create ADMK.

Shivaji was never very good @ politics, he's agreed that himself.

MGR separated from DMK in the Seventies.

Unlike Sivaji, MGR had a clear-cut political ambition even in at the time of his film debut in 1936. That's why his films have a repetitive social message.

Pick a MGR film each from the Thirties, Forties, Fifties, Sixties and Seventies. The plot will revolve around a social moral and message that's constant.

Some may find it boring. But I found it amazing. It proves that MGR never changed his core values from 1936 to 1977 to 1988. That's the real MGR.

Surya
21st October 2005, 08:18 AM
Although Shivaji was better @ acting than MGR was, he didn't have MGR's Charisma. Which is a factor in his political failure.

tfmlover
21st October 2005, 08:18 AM
me not much noesis regards to MGR's politics BUT...his films i guess i must have seen all of them
they give hopes made me feel this world better place especially india..
his fastidious attitude in film industry , his songs
B&W movies refined .
i have seen my friends mocking his voice (after shooting hapnd)..
but he speeks very good tamil see 'kaanji thalaivan' .astonishing looks , verbal aptitude
kann pOna pOkile kaal pogalaamaa...hollywood visage ..
contrary as in character ... in 'thaali bhaagyam'...real country looks
MGR his own successor
thanks

hi
21st October 2005, 08:34 AM
Can sumone tell me which movie is this song "kann pOna pOkile kaal pogalaamaa" i like this song very much :D

Surya
21st October 2005, 08:36 AM
I think it's Kaanji Thalaivan. I might be wrong. quite sure though.

Shakthiprabha.
21st October 2005, 08:38 AM
MGR's movies are good entertainers. I never knew he could act at all. His expressions were really bad.

His movies are good to watch for a nice theme, great songs and good morals.

period.

He had capability / charisma to attract the mass which he NEVER failed to capitalise in any movie. Movies were done more for the propaganda of political issues.

There are lot of his movies I enjoyed more for the entertainment, than for his performance.

Yes End of the day, I do agree, he had SOMETHING in him, which made ppl watch his movie time and again.

My favs are....

1. AnbE vaa
2. AAiyirathil Oruvan
3. Adimaip peN
4. alibabavum 40 thirudargaLum

I also remember one more movie, casted along with BHANUMATHI, where he plays the role of a thief! Can
anyone tell me which movie it is?

Last but not least, Songs in MGR movies.... is TOO GOOD TO LET GO.

saradhaa_sn
21st October 2005, 11:28 AM
Can sumone tell me which movie is this song "kann pOna pOkile kaal pogalaamaa" i like this song very much :D
that song is from 'Panam Padaithavan' , compossed by Viswa-Ramu.

saradhaa_sn
21st October 2005, 12:04 PM
From the very begining of 50s, MGR planned very well to use his cinema fame to his lift in politics. He decided Cinema is the correct way to approach people to get success in politics. Thatswhy he acted only POSITIVE rolls which will give more effect among the people. So, he carefully choosed his rolls, and made some changes wherever necessary to keep up his image.

He was very careful in maitained his image by acting in movies with:
non-drinking
non-smoking
not in villain charectors
not acting as bad man
always helping poors
mother sentiments
praising diologues by others (like "neengathaan thalaivar')
praising dialogues by old ladies (like' mavaraasaa nee nalla irukkanum')
Thus he planned well to use his cine fame as a ladder for his success in his political carreer, and kept the same formula until his last movie, without taking care about the criticisms by educated people, because his main aim is to cover the illeterates in remote areas throughout Tamil Nadu, who started to beleive cinema is a real one.

When he found himself that he is lack of acting skill, he put his full concentration in other aspects, mainly in songs, camera views, dream scenes with richness, stunt scenes etc. Particularly he gave more importance for the songs in his movies, with the farmola of one 'thaththuva paadal', one song praising about him (like 'naan aanaiyittal' and 'naan alavodu rasipavan..edhaiyum alavindri koduppavan' etc), duet songs with vareities of tunes (thatswhy still we can hear his songs as fresh ones).

The main difference between MGR and Shivaji is:

Shivaji always think that people should see him as charectors as Kattabomman, V.O.C, Prestige Padmanabhan, Barristor Rajinikanth, S.P.Choudhry like that, and they should not see him as Ganesan in the screen.

But regarding MGR always think, whether he plays King roll or Begger role, but people should see him as MGR only and not as charectors.

In politics Shivaji did not take it as serious, just used it as pickle, whereas it was the main food for MGR.

Shivaji always took wrong decitions in wrong times in politics, and he did not aimed any big posts and he never planned for that. Thatswhy he faded in politics, when MGR became a successful leader.

S.Balaji
21st October 2005, 12:51 PM

Shivaji always think that people should see him as charectors as Kattabomman, V.O.C, Prestige Padmanabhan, Barristor Rajinikanth, S.P.Choudhry like that, and they should not see him as Ganesan in the screen.

But regarding MGR always think, whether he plays King roll or Begger role, but people should see him as MGR only and not as charectors.

In politics Shivaji did not take it as serious, just used it as pickle, whereas it was the main food for MGR.

Shivaji always took wrong decitions in wrong times in politics, and he did not aimed any big posts and he never planned for that. Thatswhy he faded in politics, when MGR became a successful leader.

Saradhaji....

Superb.... Through a single posting, you have summarised the basic reason for why MGR could succeed in politics and why Shivaji could not ,
How MGR successfully positioned himself to capture the hearts of Tamilnadu people,
basic difference in the acting approach of Shivaji and MGR.....

Probably this posting of yours will be one of the best postings in TFM I have come across....

True word by word what you had mentioned....

Hats off.....

tfmlover
21st October 2005, 09:43 PM
Wonderful post TFM Lover!! :D I feel the same way! :)

i am glad you liked surya..onemore thing i always heard..i must mention this too..the 'secureness' film co stars felt when known to MGR or
his companionship and his respect for co stars alltime awe
thanks

joe
21st October 2005, 11:05 PM
Nice Thread on Makkal Thilagam.

Guys ,this is film section ,so i request you talk only about MGR -the Actor ,not MGR the politicians.

Why I am requesting is some people giving false information..Example Crab stated that DMK ignores MGR initially because of Sivaji ..Let him know sivaji was with Anna and kalainjar ,even before DMK was formed .When DMK was started ,Sivaji was the big cine star in DMK and he worked a lot for DMK and acted many dramas for free to collect fund for the Party..MGR came into DMK later only ..Once sivaji went to Thuruppathi temple with Director beemsing ..It became a big problem in DMK and few people in DMK against sivaji took this opertunity to make sivaji quit DMK ..When sivaji quit DMK ,Anna felt very bad ,he wishes sivaji 'Thambi engirunthaalum Vaazhga'..later kannadasan used this wordings for a song ..

coming to makkal thilagam MGR ..though I am a sivaji veriyan ,I have seen atleast 90 MGR movies out of his 135 ..I love songs in MGR movies..I will write more about MGR movies later.

Surya
21st October 2005, 11:08 PM
Example Surya stated that DMK ignores MGR initially because of Sivaji.

What???!?!!?! Read that post again. :lol: I didn't even say that. It was CRAB!! :roll:

Take a look!!!
:lol:

http://www.forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=4962&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

joe
21st October 2005, 11:09 PM
Example Surya stated that DMK ignores MGR initially because of Sivaji.

What???!?!!?! Read that post again. :lol: I didn't even say that. It was CRAB!! :roll:

Sorry surya! I have corrected it

m_23_bayarea
21st October 2005, 11:29 PM
m.g. ramachandran

http://www.upperstall.com/people/mgr.html

The height of emotional response that 'MGR' could evoke was evident when in 1987 during a critical illness, 22 people committed suicide in the hope their deaths would save him! Stories of poor people selling their blood in order to get money to see his films on first release are legendary!

Born Marudur Gopalamenon Ramachandran in Kandy, Sri Lanka, his family moved to Tamil Nadu where they lived in poverty. When he was 6, he joined a theatre group - the Madurai Original Boys. Here he picked up acting, dancing and swordplay.

MGR made his screen debut in Ellis R. Duncan's Sati Leelavathi (1936) but his first major breakthrough came much, much later with Rajakumari (1947).

MGR's 1950s screen persona in adventure films constructed an image of political as well as physical invincibility. Often the themes of his films were derived from heroic ballads which are part of the oral tradition of rural Tamil Nadu. For example - Madurai Veeran (1956), one of his most popular films, is based on the legend of Madurai Veeran, a popular deity of Southern Tamil Nadu. His legend has been the subject of various ballads and plays and this was the second filmed version of the story.

In the 1960s MGR turned to more 'realistic' fantasies mostly in a contemporary setting often playing someone from the oppressed class - a peasant, taxi driver or fisherman. For millions of fans, his image as the knight in shining armour, saving damsels in distress and being totally dutiful towards his mother was in fact a reality. Mother tongue, motherland and motherhood were what he based his popularity on. To quote M.S.S. Pandian in The Image Trap: M.G. Ramachandran in Film and Politics...

"The social universe of the MGR is a universe of asymmetrical power.......The conflict between the upper caste/ class oppressors and MGR as a subaltern, and its resolution forms the core of the film. MGR, in the course of the conflict, appropriates several signs or symbols of authority or power from those who dominate."

MGR used food, colour patterns (black and red, symbols of the DMK) and masquerades (often through double roles of oppressor and oppressed) to construct this universe. In Engal Thangam (1970) for example, MGR playing a truck driver Thangam, fights, sings, cares for the poor and preaches against smoking and drinking. The DMK colours - black and red are frequently featured in the clothes he wears. He even appears as himself in the opening scene at a Small Savings Function. Thangam is in the audience and even refers to him as 'vathiyar' (teacher), the reverent title by which he was known to his fans!

MGR had joined the DMK party in 1953 and remained its member till 1972. This included a brief stint in the Madras Legislative Council from 1962 - 64, being a member of the Legislative Assembly (1967) when the party won the state elections and the DMK Treasurer (1970).

He fell out with the DMK chief Karunanidhi and used the DMK's propaganda idiom against the DMK itself in Nam Naadu (1969). In 1972 he set up the rival Anna - DMK party claiming allegiance to the DMK's founder, the late Annadurai.

In 1977, his party renamed the AIADMK won the state elections in alliance with Indira Gandhi's Congress party. MGR became Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu and was re-elected for three consecutive terms. As Chief Minister, he organized a totalitarian crackdown on all political dissent while introducing populist schemes such as the Chief Minister's Nutritious Meal Programme.

Having survived a bullet wound when he was shot at by fellow actor M.R. Radha in 1967 (which affected his speech), he achieved demi-god status following a paralytic stroke in 1984 which he survived for three years thus acquiring the label 'thrice born'. When he died in 1987, his funeral procession was attended by over 2 million people!

A temple has been built in Madras with MGR as deity.

Miss Chennai
22nd October 2005, 01:59 AM
I especially liked the Makkal Thilagam movies of the 50's like "Marma Yogi", "Malai kallan", "Kulebagavali", "Madurai Veeran" etc. 8-)

All these movies proved that Makkal thilagam is the champion; invincible human on earth and numero uno in everything he entered! :thumbsup:

One movie that I badly waiting to watch is "Alibabavum 40 thirudargalum" :)

tfmlover
22nd October 2005, 03:35 AM
miss chennai then you must like 'bhagdad thirudan' too he did with vaijayanthimala ..good one

Surya
22nd October 2005, 04:21 AM
Has anyone seen arasakattalai?? :) It's not one of his best. but still quite entertaining. :D

Crab
22nd October 2005, 04:24 AM
MGR film songs have been used for political propaganda not only in TN but also across the bank by Tigers! Somehow the lyrics actually fit in with their issues as well!

:shock:

Justice
22nd October 2005, 04:26 AM
after MGR,

one sun, one moon, and ONE MGR

he's a rare gem who always support Tamil unlike other losers who just say

MGR film songs have been used for political propaganda not only in TN but also across the bank by Tigers! Somehow the lyrics actually fit in with their issues as well!

m_23_bayarea
23rd October 2005, 03:54 AM
MGR Filmography

S. No Year Movie Name

1) 1936 Sati Leelavati
2) 1936 Iru Sahodarargal
3) 1938 Dakshayagnam
4) 1938 Veera Jagathis
5) 1939 Maya Machindra
6) 1939 Prahalatha
7) 1941 Ashok Kumar
8) 1941 Vedavathi or Seethajananam
9) 1942 Thasippen or Jyothi Malar
10) 1942 Tamizhariyum Perumal
11) 1943 Harichandra
12) 1945 Meera
13) 1945 Salivahanan
14) 1946 Sri Murugan
15) 1947 Paithiakaran
16) 1947 Rajakumari
17) 1948 Abhimanyu
18) 1948 Mohini
19) 1948 Raja Mukthi
20) 1949 Rathnakumar
21) 1950 Maruthanattu Ilavarasi
22) 1950 Mandiri Kumari
23) 1951 Marmayogi
24) 1951 Sarvathikari
25) 1952 Andaman Kaithi
26) 1952 Kumari
27) 1953 Yen Thangai
28) 1953 Jenova
29) 1953 Naam
30) 1954 Panakkari
31) 1954 Malaikkallan
32) 1954 Koondukkili
33) 1955 Gul-E-Bakaavali
34) 1956 Alibabavum Narpathu Thirudargalum
35) 1956 Madurai Veeran
36) 1956 Thaikupin Tharam
37) 1957 Chakravarthy Thirumagal
38) 1957 Mahadevi
39) 1957 Pudumaipithan
40) 1957 Rajarajan
41) 1958 Nadodi Mannan
42) 1959 Thai Magalukku Kattiya Thaki
43) 1960 Bhagdad Thirudan
44) 1960 Mannathi Mannan
45) 1960 Raja Desingu
46) 1961 Arasilamkumari
47) 1961 Nallavan Vazhvan
48) 1961 Sabash Mapillai
49) 1961 Thai Sollai Thattathe
50) 1961 Thirudathe
51) 1962 Kudumpa Thalaivan
52) 1962 Madapura
53) 1962 Paasam
54) 1962 Rani Samyuktha
55) 1962 Thayai Kaatha Thanayan
56) 1962 Vikramathithan
57) 1963 Ananda Jyothi
58) 1963 Dharmam Thalai Kakkum
59) 1963 Kalai Arasi
60) 1963 Kanchi Thalaivan
61) 1963 Koduthu Vaithaval
62) 1963 Neethikkuppin Pasam
63) 1963 Panathottam
64) 1963 Parisu
65) 1963 Periya Idathu Penn
66) 1964 Theiva Thai
67) 1964 Yen Kadamai
68) 1964 Padakotti
69) 1964 Panakkara Kudumbam
70) 1964 Thayin Madiyil
71) 1964 Thozhilali
72) 1964 Vettaikaran
73) 1965 Asai Mugam
74) 1965 Ayirathil Oruvam
75) 1965 Yenga Veetu Pillai
76) 1965 Kalankarai Vilakkam
77) 1965 Kanni Thai
78) 1965 Panam Padaithavan
79) 1965 Tazhampoo
80) 1966 Anbe Vaa
81) 1966 Naan Anaiyittal
82) 1966 Mugarasi
83) 1966 Nadodi
84) 1966 Chandrodayam
85) 1966 Parakkum Pavai
86) 1966 Petralthan Pillaiya
87) 1966 Thali Bhagyam
88) 1966 Thanipiravi
89) 1967 Arasakattalai
90) 1967 Kavalkaran
91) 1967 Thaiku Thalaimagan
92) 1967 Vivasayee
93) 1968 Rahasiya Police 115
94) 1968 Thaer Thiruvizha
95) 1968 Kudiyiruntha Koil
96) 1968 Kannan Yen Kadalan
97) 1968 Pudiya Boomi
98) 1968 Kanavan
99) 1968 Oli Vilakku
100) 1968 Kathal Vaganam
101) 1969 Adimai Penn
102) 1969 Namnadu
103) 1970 Mattukara Velan
104) 1970 Yen Annan
105) 1970 Thalaivan
106) 1970 Thedi Vantha Mappillai
107) 1970 Yengal Thangam
108) 1971 Kumarikottam
109) 1971 Rickshawkaran
110) 1971 Neerum Neruppum
111) 1971 Oru Thai Makkal
112) 1972 Sange Muzhangu
113) 1972 Nalla Neram
114) 1972 Raman Thedia Seethai
115) 1972 Annamitta Kai
116) 1972 Naan Yaen Piranthaen
117) 1972 Idaya Veenai
118) 1973 Ulagam Sutrum Valiban
119) 1973 Pattikattu Ponnaiya
120) 1974 Netru Intru Nalai
121) 1974 Urimaikkural
122) 1974 Sirithu Vazhavendum
123) 1975 Ninaithathai Mudipavan
124) 1975 Naalai Namathe
125) 1975 Idaya Kani
126) 1975 Pallandu Vazhga
127) 1976 Neethikku Thalaivanangu
128) 1976 Uzhaikkum Karangal
129) 1976 Oorukku Uzhaippavan
130) 1977 Navaratnam
131) 1977 Intru Pol Entrum Vazhga
132) 1977 Meenava Nanban
133) 1978 Madurai Meeta Sundrapandian

Hindi

134) 1951 Ektha Raja

Telugu

135) 1951 Sarvathikari

Malayalam

136) 1953 Jenova

Surya
23rd October 2005, 05:14 AM
Forumhub Info Thilagam Vaazge!!! 8-)
:D :clap: :P 8-)
Nice avatar, Surya !! Hey Raaaaam ! 8-)

Clearly a movie when Kamal is @ his peak. :D :D BUt he's been @ his peak for about 25 years. 8-)

Crab
23rd October 2005, 06:03 AM
Bayarea,

MGR's 100th film is Oli Vilakku(1968) according to tamilcinema.com

By the way, what was MGR's first release after he became MLA of Parangimalai in 1967?

tfmlover
23rd October 2005, 06:23 AM
bayarea ! superb..
except first 20 films then again the other lang ones i have seen collected almost all..feeling proud ..
good job bayarea

m_23_bayarea
24th October 2005, 12:08 AM
Thanks guys.....I got the info online....

Crab, You may be right....Oli Vilakku was considered top notch for MGR. So it could have been his 100th movie....

And I dont know which one he acted after becoming the MLA....Sorry.... :cry:

saradhaa_sn
24th October 2005, 01:31 PM
Bayarea,

By the way, what was MGR's first release after he became MLA of Parangimalai in 1967?

You are correct, Oli Vlilakku was announced by MGR as his 100th movie.

The last movie released before he become MLA at Parangimalai was 'Petraalthaan Pillaiya" (December-1966)

He was shot by M.R.Radha on January 13, 1967 ( on Bhogi day)

He became MLA by taking treatment in hospital in March 1967.

Next movie released after he became MLA was "Kaavalkaaran".

tfmlover
25th October 2005, 07:06 AM
i love that song 'ninaithen vandhaai 100 vayadhu from kaavalkaaran..begins like egypt setting finishes with panjabi dancing

RR
25th October 2005, 07:55 AM
m_23_bayarea,

Good info.. Where's "Avasara Police"? :-P

Looks like a 'new' MGR movie may be out soon.. Music by IR.. Check out this week's thunukku moottai.

joe
25th October 2005, 09:42 AM
'Mahadevi ' is one movie with good dialogues ,sword fights ..famous veerappa dialogue in that movie is 'Adainthaal mahaaDevi..Illayel marana devi"

S.Balaji
25th October 2005, 01:01 PM
Bayarea,

You are correct, Oli Vlilakku was announced by MGR as his 100th movie.

The last movie released before he become MLA at Parangimalai was 'Petraalthaan Pillaiya" (December-1966)

He was shot by M.R.Radha on January 13, 1967 ( on Bhogi day)

He became MLA by taking treatment in hospital in March 1967.

Next movie released after he became MLA was "Kaavalkaaran".

Saradhaji...

I heard that this song. Ninaithen vandhaai nooru vayadhu was written to convey the message that MGR had come back successfully from the bullet operation which happened before the movie... Is it true ??

tamizharasan
25th October 2005, 10:38 PM
My favourite movies of Makkal thilagam are Nadodi Mannan, Aayirathil Oruvan, Anbe Vaa and Ulagam Sutrum Vaaliban. Clean entertainers.

Scale
25th October 2005, 10:53 PM
'Mahadevi ' is one movie with good dialogues ,sword fights ..famous veerappa dialogue in that movie is 'Adainthaal mahaaDevi..Illayel marana devi"

Oh! We all miss these days, Yesteryears "Mask of Zorro" :D

m_23_bayarea
26th October 2005, 12:52 AM
Sathayraj in MGR's political seat
Cinesouth.com

Mention the name of MGR and somehow Sathyaraj's name comes in too. Before Sathyaraj came on the scene, it was Bhagyaraj. Maybe because he has retired or something, many of MGR's rights have been transferred to Sathyaraj.

The MGR-Nambiar film that stopped half way was released after MGR's death as 'Rahasiya Police 100' by Bhagyaraj. Similarly, another film is to celebrate its re-birth.

When MGR was alive, he prepared a screenplay for a film titled 'Padhavi Narkaali.' He was to have produced it himself, with music by Ilayaraja. Four songs had also been composed. For reasons unknown, the project did not take off.

The years have passed and some people are now eager to dust the cobwebs from 'Padhavi Narkaali.' It is planned to incorporate the scenes already shot, with those featuring his duplicate Sathyaraj. MGR's market as a hero is perennial. Sathyaraj is a hero whose market now is good. They calculate that 2 successful markets will get them the jackpot.

Like the elephant, in life and in death, MGR's market is a 100 percent guarantee.

S.Balaji
26th October 2005, 02:24 AM
Ulagam sutrum vaaliban...

Is a classic example of what MGR was capable of .... The movie though a lengthy one... one will never feel bored at any point of time... He would have made it very interesting and gripping...

I heard that MGR summoned KB and requested him to find any scene which can be edited out...but KB admitted that he was so stunned by the sequence the continuity of the scenes that he admitted his inability to MGR that he cannot edit !

All songs were wonderfully picturised in this movie...

THough the movie was released late, MGR used the opportunity to get the best out of Expo 70 in Japan ...

He always used to convey positive messages. Rarely one can come across negative messages.....

saradhaa_sn
26th October 2005, 05:01 PM
Dear Balaji,

Really a good report about Ulagam Sutrum Vaaliban. Yes, as told by you, the shooting in foreign countries were done in 1970 only (do you remember Expo'70..?) at that time MGR was in DMK and even in 1971 election also he was there. Only in 1972 October he went out (or sent out..??).

The method of picturisation of USV only different. But the story theme is not new and it nothing but Director Ramanna's "MOONDREZHUTHTHU" released in early 1968, starred by Ravichandran & Jayalalitha.

See the main theme:

MOONDREZHUTHTHU:
--------------------------
A suitcase full of money will be buried by a man (Major) in a place, then he make a plan where it was buried, cut the plan in to three pieces and give each one to three persons living in three places (Ooty, Kanyakumari, Hyderabad) then go to jail. Then the hero (Ravi) will come from abroad, search the three pieces and finally get it. In the meantime villians also following the hero to take the plan and the wealth. One main villain will come in the last (Manohar)

ULAGAM SUTRUM VAALIBAN
----------------------------------
A suitcase (with scientific research file) will be buried in a place by one MGR, then note the place in a sheet, cut the paper in to three pieces and give each one to three persons living in three countries (Singapore, Hongkong, Bancok), then he will be caught and put under the custody of villain group. The another MGR will come and search them and finally he will get it. In the meantime villains also following them to take the research file. One main villain will come in the last (Nambiar).

Miss Chennai
27th October 2005, 12:04 AM
I always admired MakkaL Thilagam for taking keen interest in the theme of the song, its musical composition and its exact appearance in the movie.

Not surprisingly, it would turn out to be a hit song.

There are many many songsto list but some of them are:

1. Acheham enpathu madamaiyadah - Anjaamai Dravidar udamaiyadah (on Dravidian glory and heroism)

2. Thoongathe Thambi Thoongathe - Nee somberi enra peyar vaankaathe (on the consequences of idling and procrastination)

3. Chinna payale Chinna payale Sedhi keladah (on character-building and self confidence)

4. Thirudathe - Paapaa Thirudathe (on prevention of bad habits, especially stealing, while young)

5. Moonrezhuthil En Moochchirukkum - Athu mudinthapinnalum en Pechehirukkum (on the dignity of duty)

6. Onru Engal Jatahiye - Ouru Engal Neethiye (on the unity of human race)

7. Unnai Arinthaal Nee Unnai Arinthaal Ulagathil Pooradalaam (on developing self confidence)

8. Buddhan Yesu Gandhi pirandathu Bhoomiyil etharkaaka (on the dignity of labour)

9. Atho Antha paravai pola vazhavendum (on freedom and liberty)

10. Thaayillamal Naanillai Thaane evarum piranpathillai (on mother love)

11. Chirithu vazhavendum - Pirar chirikka vazhnthidathe (on dignity of the labour)

12. Poomazhai thoovi vasanthangal vaaztha oorvalam nadakkirathu.(on sibling love)

During his times, MakkaL Thilagam was great and unbeatable :thumbsup:

Miss Chennai
27th October 2005, 12:06 AM
Also, MakkaL Thilagam would also make sure that he will teach good manners and discipline to the masses through the movies.

Therefore, in the characters he played in 120-odd movies, he would never smoke or take alcoholic drinks.

On top of that, he would never physically or mentally abuse women.

This self-imposed rigidity restricted the character roles he would play and movie critics ridiculed him for this "stereo-typed" style of his characters.

But as always MakkaL Thilagam would have the last laugh; Ultimately, he claimed the respected honorific "vaathiyar" (teacher) in its proper sense of the word. :clap:

Thamizhatchi
27th October 2005, 02:46 AM
I still laugh when i see the song "Kumari pennin ullathile kudiyirukka naan vara vendum" coz the dance steps are funny. He used to do a lotta sits ups :wink:

Well, MGR is truly a legend as many say. All his movies have message. TMS songs/voice made him more popular.

To make a thousand ppl live, he has destroyed 10 ppl both in the cinema n real life. But we gotta take the good alone esp if its plenty :wink:

tfmlover
27th October 2005, 03:04 AM
I always admired MakkaL Thilagam for taking keen interest in the theme of the song, its musical composition and its exact appearance in the movie.

Not surprisingly, it would turn out to be a hit song.

There are many many songsto list but some of them are:

During his times, MakkaL Thilagam was great and unbeatable :thumbsup:

a sacred song from 'nallavan vaazhvaan.. agreeable to any religion
aandavan orruvan irukindraan..by Dr. Sirkali Govindarajan..milestone

m_23_bayarea
29th October 2005, 01:29 AM
Making his film debut in 1936, in the film Sati Leelavathi, MGR did not attain great popularity until his role in the 1947 film Rajakumari. He rose to stardom by playing characters that potrayed him as the saviour of the poor. His movies were the medium of communication for the Dravidian movement. For the next twenty-five years he remained one of the biggest celebrities in Tamil cinema. Movies like Madurai Veeran, a champion of the Tamil Dalits, helped gain the admiration of the dalits in the state. His star power did not diminish even after he was shot by fellow actor MR Radha, affecting his ability to speak clearly. The Government of India honoured him with the national Award for the Best Actor for his acting in the film Rickshakaran in 1972. It is important to note that he refused to accept the Padmashri award presented to him in the 1960s.

mr_karthik
29th October 2005, 02:22 PM
From the very begining of 50s, MGR planned very well to use his cinema fame to his lift in politics. He decided Cinema is the correct way to approach people to get success in politics. Thatswhy he acted only POSITIVE rolls which will give more effect among the people. So, he carefully choosed his rolls, and made some changes wherever necessary to keep up his image.

He was very careful in maitained his image by acting in movies with:
non-drinking
non-smoking
not in villain charectors
not acting as bad man
always helping poors
mother sentiments
praising diologues by others (like "neengathaan thalaivar')
praising dialogues by old ladies (like' mavaraasaa nee nalla irukkanum')
Thus he planned well to use his cine fame as a ladder for his success in his political carreer, and kept the same formula until his last movie, without taking care about the criticisms by educated people, because his main aim is to cover the illeterates in remote areas throughout Tamil Nadu, who started to beleive cinema is a real one.

When he found himself that he is lack of acting skill, he put his full concentration in other aspects, mainly in songs, camera views, dream scenes with richness, stunt scenes etc. Particularly he gave more importance for the songs in his movies, with the farmola of one 'thaththuva paadal', one song praising about him (like 'naan aanaiyittal' and 'naan alavodu rasipavan..edhaiyum alavindri koduppavan' etc), duet songs with vareities of tunes (thatswhy still we can hear his songs as fresh ones).

Saradha madam,

Really a superb posting, in which you analysed in deatail about the main difference in acting between MGR and Sivaji, and how MGR got his place in the hearts of poors.

Also a good point about, how MGR succeeded in politics and why Sivaji was not.

tfmlover
31st October 2005, 05:11 AM
may lord above sparkle your life this diwali and always
diwali wishes to all @TFM all my friends here
also
True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about but few have seen...hope i see my ghost this halloween..
have a hauntingly happy and safe Spooktacular Halloween. ...all :twisted:

m_23_bayarea
1st November 2005, 03:46 AM
MUSIC DIRECTORS FOR MGR FILMS(From the time MGR emerged as hero)

1.Paithiyakkaran-CR Sbbaraman(CRS)
2.Rajakumari-SM Subbiah Naidu(SMS)
3.Abimanyu-CRSubbaraman/SM Subbiah Naidu
4.Mogini-SMS/CRS
5.Rajamukthi-CN Pandurangan
6. Ratnakumar-G RAmanatahan/CRS
7.Manthirikumari-G Ramanathan(GR)
8.Maruthanaattu Ilavarasi-MS Gnanamani
9. Marmayogi-SMS/CRS
10.Sarvfathikari-S. Dachinamurthi
11. Andamaan Kaithi-Govindarajulu Naidu
12. En Thangai-CN Padnurangan
13. Kumari-KVMahadevan(KVM
14. Genova-MSVisvanathan/MS Gnanamani/TA Kalyanam
15. Naam-CS Jayaraman
16. Panakkaari-SV VEngatraman(SVV)
17. Koondukkil-KVM
18.Malaikkallan-SMS
19.Kulebagavali-Visvanathan Ramamoorthy(VR)
20.Ali Baba & 40 Thirudarkalum-S.Dachinamurthy
21.Madurai Veran-GR
22.Tahikku Pin Thaaram-KVM
23. Chakravarthy Thirumakal-GR
24.Mahadevi-VR
25.Puthumaipithan-GR
26.Rajarajan-KVM
27.Nadodi Mannan-SMS
28.Thaai Magalukku Kattiya Thaali-TR Paappa
29.Bagdad Thirudan-Govindarajulu Naidu
30.Mannathi Mannan-VR
31.Raja Desingh-GR
32.Arasilang Kumari-GR
33.Nallavan Vaazhvaan- TR Paappa
34.Sabash Mappillai-KVM
35.Thaai Sollai Thattathey-KVM
36.Thirudathey-SMS
37.Kudumbatha Thalaivan-KVM
38.Maadappura-KVM
39.Paasam-VR
40.Rani Samyuktha-KVM
41.Thayai Kaatha Thanayan-KVM
42. Vikkiramathithan-S. Rajeswararao
43.Ananda Jothi-VR
44.Darmam Thalai Kaakkum-KVM
45.Kalai Arasi-KVM
46. Kaanji Thalaivan-KVM
47.Koduthu Vaithaval-KVM
48.Neethikku Pin Paasam-KVM
49.Panathottam-VR
50.Parisu-KVM
51.Periya Idathu Pen-VR
52.Deivathaai-VR
53.En Kadmai-VR
54.Padagotti-VR
55.Panakkara Kudumbam-VR
56. Thaayin Madiyil-SMS
57. Thozhilaali-KVM
58. Vettaikkaaran-KVM
59.Aasai Mugam-SMS
60. Aayirathil Oruvan-VR
61.Enda Veetu Pillai-VR
62.Kalangarai Vilakkam-MSV
63.Kannithaai-KVM
64.Panam Padaithavan-VR
65. Thaazhamboo-KVM
66.Anbe Vaa-MSV
67.Naan Aanaiyittaal-MSV
68.Mugarasi-KVM
69. Nadodi-MSV
70.Chandrothayam-MSV
71.Parakkum Paavai-MSV
72.Petraalthaan Pillaiya?-MSV
73. Thaali Bagyam-KVM
74. Thanipiravi-KVM
75. Arasa Kattalai-KVM
76. Kavalkaaran-MSV
77. Thaaikku Thalai Magan-KVM
78.Vivasayee-KVM
79. Ragasiya Police115-MSV
80 Ther Thiruvizha-KVM
81. Kudiyiruntha Koyil-MSV
82.Kannan En Kaadalan-MSV
83. Puthya Boomi-MSV
84. Kanavan-MSV
85. Oli Vilakku-MSV
86. Kathal Vaaganam-KVM
87.Adimai Penn-KVM
88. Nam Naadu-MSV
89.Maattukkara Velan-MSV
90. EN Annan-KVM
91. Thalaivan-SMS
92. Thedivantha Mappillai-MSV
93. Engal Thangam-MSV
94. Kumarikottam-MSV
95. Rickshawkkaran-MSV
96. Neerum Neruppum-MSV
97.Oru Thaai Makkal- MSV
98.Sangey Muzhangu-MSV
99.Nalla Neram-KVM
100.Raman Thediya Seethai-MSV
101.Annamitta Kai-KVM
102.Naan Yen Piranthen-Sangkar Ganesh
103.Idaya Veenai-Sangkar Ganesh
104.Ulagam Sutrum Vaaliban-MSV
105.Pattikkaattu Ponnaiya-MSV
106. Netru Indru Naalai-MSV
107.Urimaikkural-MSV
108.Sirithu Vaazha Vendum-MSV
109. Ninaithathai Mudippavan-MSV
110.Naalai Namathey-MSV
111.Pallandu Vaazhga-KVM
112. Idayakkani-MSV
113.Nethikku Thalai Vanagu-MSV
114.Uzhaikkum Karangal-MSV
115.Oorukku Uzhaippavan-MSV
116.Indru Pol Enrum Vaazhga-MSV
117.Navarathinam-Kunnakkudi Vaithiyanathan
118.Meenava Nanban-MSV
119. Maduraiyai Meetta Sundara Paandiyan-MSV

Surya
1st November 2005, 05:43 AM
Was Ragasiya Police 101 a hit? :)

nilavupriyan
1st November 2005, 09:32 AM
"enga veetu pillai"....my favourite m.g.r film....

the scene where m.g.r beats nambiar with "saatai".........wonderful scene :D

tfmlover
1st November 2005, 10:11 AM
Was Ragasiya Police 101 a hit? :)
hii surya i think its a hit..its ragasiya police 115
i have the dvd...saw many times

saradhaa_sn
2nd November 2005, 12:48 PM

89.Maattukkara Velan-MSV

Very nice collection Bayerea, wonderful.

A small correction:

"Maattukaara Velan" and "Pattikaattu Ponnaiya" are not by M.S.V.

Both of them by K.V.M.

S.Balaji
2nd November 2005, 05:45 PM
yes, Maatukaara velan was by KVM only and had some lovely songs like :

1. Poovaitha poovaikku pookal sondhamaa
2. Pattikaada pattanamaa
3. Thottu kollavaa illai thoduthu kollavaa
4. Oru pakkam paakuraa

All are super hit songs....lovely composition by KVM the great...

Its a total entertainer with MGR playing dual role..one that of a Paalkaran and another of a lawyer.....

Normally MGR chose a pure tamil name like Murugan, Velan, Maran etc etc for Village type characters while for city based characters...mostly used Raju....as his name....

m_23_bayarea
2nd November 2005, 10:00 PM
[tscii:02963e1834]Vijayakanth seeks to recreate MGR magic
November 1, 2005
Behindwoods.com

Vijayakanth has learnt the alphabets of politics well. This can be seen from the way he projects his image as a seeker of justice and prosperity for all sections of the society. In a recent interview, he has said that he entered politics only with the intention of doing good to the society and that he was confident of making a difference. He made an impassioned plea to everyone to join him in his mission. As if to reinforce this image, he is seeking to go the MGR way. MGR always used pathos and family sentiment in his films. It helped him win over a large population and become the uncrowned king of Tamil Nadu. Now, Vijayakanth is attempting to copy from some of MGR’s memorable films. Recent example is Perarasu, which is a lost and found story, reminiscent of Kudiyiruntha koil of our Puratchiththalaivar.
[/tscii:02963e1834]

m_23_bayarea
2nd November 2005, 10:01 PM

89.Maattukkara Velan-MSV

Very nice collection Bayerea, wonderful.

A small correction:

"Maattukaara Velan" and "Pattikaattu Ponnaiya" are not by M.S.V.

Both of them by K.V.M.

Thanks for the correction Saradha ....

Surya
2nd November 2005, 10:01 PM
Every movie person withthe idea to enter politics is copying Makkal Thilagam yar! Because they don't really feel the things they are doing, it's all a show! :evil:

tfmlover
3rd November 2005, 12:22 PM
[quote="S.Balaji"]yes, Maatukaara velan was by KVM only and had some lovely songs like :

1. Poovaitha poovaikku pookal sondhamaa
2. Pattikaada pattanamaa
3. Thottu kollavaa illai thoduthu kollavaa
4. Oru pakkam paakuraa

All are super hit songs....lovely composition by KVM the great...

you forgot the best one balaji....'sathiyam neeye dharma thaaye..driyo

m_23_bayarea
3rd November 2005, 10:10 PM
[tscii:7cb946e747]The MGR film Vijayakanth copied
Cinesouth.com

Vijayakanth has decided to drive an airplane on the road MGR laid. The man who used MGR and Kamaraj photos for his publicity when making his political debut, has now zeroed in on MGR films.

The brothers travel in a train together when circumstances separate them. One ends up growing up with the villain and the other with his own mother. This is the plot of MGR’s ‘Kudiyirundha Koil’ that has been made into ‘Perarasu’ with the plot reversed!

In ‘Perarasu’ that’s an out and out copy of ‘Kudiyirundha Koil,’ Captain plays the hero as well as the villain. Both the boys go to Kasi with their father Sarath Babu to perform last rites. The children get separated there. The rest of the story can be narrated by the popcorn vendor in the theater!

It seems the Purtachi Kalaignar plans to make more rehashes of Puratchi Thalaivar’s films in the near future.

MGR’s photographs...MGR’s publicity van.... MGR’s films...Fantastic!

[/tscii:7cb946e747]

nilavupriyan
3rd November 2005, 10:40 PM
[tscii:15a2e6fab9]The MGR film Vijayakanth copied
Cinesouth.com

Vijayakanth has decided to drive an airplane on the road MGR laid. The man who used MGR and Kamaraj photos for his publicity when making his political debut, has now zeroed in on MGR films.

The brothers travel in a train together when circumstances separate them. One ends up growing up with the villain and the other with his own mother. This is the plot of MGR’s ‘Kudiyirundha Koil’ that has been made into ‘Perarasu’ with the plot reversed!

In ‘Perarasu’ that’s an out and out copy of ‘Kudiyirundha Koil,’ Captain plays the hero as well as the villain. Both the boys go to Kasi with their father Sarath Babu to perform last rites. The children get separated there. The rest of the story can be narrated by the popcorn vendor in the theater!

It seems the Purtachi Kalaignar plans to make more rehashes of Puratchi Thalaivar’s films in the near future.

MGR’s photographs...MGR’s publicity van.... MGR’s films...Fantastic!

[/tscii:15a2e6fab9]

apdiye m.g.r's kulla onnu vaangi thalayila kavuthadalam..........vijayakanth epdi irupar :roll: .........

S.Balaji
4th November 2005, 02:39 PM
VK IMO looks a genuine person... I have not seen him talking like a typical politician.....

Lets wait and see how he reacts during the elections...

m_23_bayarea
5th November 2005, 04:31 AM
The MGR-Sivaji rivalry

By R Rangaraj
http://www.chennaionline.com/events/news/sivajimgr.asp

They were contemporaries, they were rivals in the film world and they ended up as political adversaries too. Sivaji Ganesan and M G Ramachandran, both striving for the No. 1 spot in the Tamil film industry, had only one film together over four decades.
'Koondukili' was the film in which the two starred together. It was their first and last film together, as according to movie observers, their relationship was a strained one even then.

Sivaji had made his mark with 'Parasakthi' but MGR was the more accomplished hero in the traditional sense, swashbuckling, attractive and the formula guy.

Fans of Sivaji and MGR clashed over who was the better hero. MGR, the shrewd tactician that he was, kept a close watch on Sivaji films in the making and planned counter-moves against them.

When a Sivaji big budget film was to be released, MGR would come up with a matcher of an entertainer biggie, which would ensure that Sivaji's rise was checked.

While Sivaji confined himself to his role in the film and gave it all he had in acting, MGR's involvement in a film was total. He was the behind-the-scenes director. MGR would sit during song recordings and would not be convinced till he heard more than a dozen variations of a song. He would ask for better and better tunes till he was sure he would get an instant hit.

MGR opted for young heroines, still in their early teens, cashing in on their glamour, while it was Sivaji's lot to have older heroines.

While Sivaji did act in fight sequences, MGR scored over the thespian in daring and well-executed fight scenes.

Above all, MGR made it his business to entertain people not have them weeping or seeing their problems re-enacted on the silver screen. Thus, Sivaji's films slowly moved into the emotional genre while MGR concentrated on wholesome entertainment. Thus it was that MGR widened the gap between him and Sivaji in the race for the top position.

However, despite all that MGR did to pip Sivaji at the box office, he could not take away the tag of a super actor that was Sivaji's all the way. Outwardly they were friendly towards one another, but deep down the rivalry was too intense for two intense performers to hide.

saradhaa_sn
5th November 2005, 11:47 AM
When a Sivaji big budget film was to be released, MGR would come up with a matcher of an entertainer biggie, which would ensure that Sivaji's rise was checked.

However, despite all that MGR did to pip Sivaji at the box office, he could not take away the tag of a super actor that was Sivaji's all the way.

Correct, Bayarea...

Several times, during the clash between the movies of both of them, MGR's films made Shivaji's films as big flops.

For example:

'Thaayai kaaththa thanayan' vs 'Kapplottiya Tamizhan'
'Vettaikaaran' vs 'Karnan'
'Palani' vs 'Enga veettu piilai'
'Anbe Vaa' vs 'Motor sundaram pillai'
'Kudiyirundha Koil' vs 'Enga oor Raja'
'Nam Naadu' vs 'Sivandha Mann'
'Maatukaara Velan' vs 'Enga Mama'
'Kumari kottam' vs 'Iru dhuruvam'
'Adimai penn' vs 'Thanga Surangam'
'Ulagam sutrum vaaliban' vs 'Rajaraja Cholan'

But some times the history changed while Shivaji's movies become Box office hits when MGR met some flops.

Some examples:

'Babu' vs 'Neerum Neruppum'
'Raja' vs 'Oru thaai makkal'
'Gnana oli' vs 'Sangey muzhangu'
'Pattikaada pattanama' vs 'Raman thediya seethai'
'Vietnaam veedu' vs 'Thalaivan'
'Raman eththanai Ramanadi' vs 'Thedi vandha maapillai'
'Vasantha Maaligai' vs 'Idhaya veenai'
'Engal thanga Raja' vs 'Pattikattu ponnaiya'
'Thanga padhakkam' vs 'Netru indru naalai'
'Deepam' vs 'Navarathinam'
'Thiyaagam' vs 'M.M.Sundara pandiyan'

Few times, both of their films met success, like:

'Engirundho vandhaal' & 'Sorkam' (vs) 'Engal Thangam'
'Savaali Samaali' (vs) 'Rikshawkaran'

Crab
5th November 2005, 12:00 PM
Oh my god,

Saradha how can you possibly know all these?

Justice
5th November 2005, 12:01 PM
verai enna copy and past thane :rotfl:

Oh my god,

saradhaa_sn
5th November 2005, 12:16 PM

Oh my god,

Justice, you are wrong......

This is my own statement.

I challenege you, can you find this details anywhere?.

(In fact, I am the first one who told, 'Ulagam sutrum vaaliban' is the same story of 'Moondrezhuthu', for which I got appreciation from various sides).

S.Balaji
5th November 2005, 01:45 PM

Oh my god,

Justice....

Very simple... Just go through the other posts of Saradha chechi.... and you will realise the truth that she is an authority on films...especially old films.....

mr_karthik
6th November 2005, 10:43 AM

However, despite all that MGR did to pip Sivaji at the box office, he could not take away the tag of a super actor that was Sivaji's all the way.

Correct, Bayarea...

Several times, during the clash between the movies of both of them, MGR's films made Shivaji's films as big flops.

For example:

'Palani' vs 'Enga veettu piilai'

But some times the history changed while Shivaji's movies become Box office hits when MGR met some flops.

Some examples:

Wow... Saradha madam, unga thalaiyil iruppathu brain alla. Oru mini computer. What a fast recollection.

I never see these details anywhere. Once Mr.S.Balaji called you as 'Film News' Saradha. You are proving it is true by your day to day postings. Everytime you are coming with new informations.

keep it up.......

Justice
6th November 2005, 10:54 AM
awesome :thumbsup:
I know that and you did a fantastic job :wink:

I didn't mean to hurt you but that a jovial digression :wink:

neenga vazhga

This is my own statement.

I challenege you, can you find this details anywhere?.

(In fact, I am the first one who told, 'Ulagam sutrum vaaliban' is the same story of 'Moondrezhuthu', for which I got appreciation from various sides).

Justice
6th November 2005, 10:55 AM
enna back up-pa? :lol:
she's the second best, I agree

now what's wrong with you and me? :roll:

Justice....

Very simple... Just go through the other posts of Saradha chechi.... and you will realise the truth that she is an authority on films...especially old films.....

m_23_bayarea
7th November 2005, 11:34 PM
Excerpts from an interview of famous singer K J Yesudas .... about MGR !!!!

http://www.chennaionline.com/chennaicitizen/2004/02kjyesudas.asp

How was your experience with M G Ramachandran when you sang for his film 'Urimai Kural'?

One day, our late chief minister M G Ramachandran called me over and asked me to sing the song 'Vizhiye Kadhai Ezhudhu'. I was elated and thrilled. My happiness doubled when the song became a hit.

MGR is a mahaan. I came to know about him at a later stage. He not only gave importance to music but more to the art itself. His character was such that he turned even his foes into friends.

For example, at a time when he had difference of opinion with Kannadasan politically, he was not satisfied with the lyrics for a particular song. Finally, he himself suggested that Kannadasan be called to write the lyrics. Others around him were hesitant but MGR was firm. He told them that Kannadasan had no equal and asked them to approach him for the lyrics. Kannadasan also obliged and the song was 'Odum Megangale' for the film 'Aayirathil Oruvan'. Enmity vanished... and art gained importance...

tacinema
8th November 2005, 12:20 AM
Saradhaa,

Do you think that some of the Sivaji movies that you listed as FLOPS are really flops? My uncle was a big time sivaji fan and he used to tell me that Karnan ran over 100 days in Madurai Thangam Theatre, which is one of the largest movie halls in Asia. Also, I believe, the following movies ran over 100 days and movie database considers them as hit movies:

1. Enga Oor Raja
2. Sivandha Mann
3. Motor Sundaram Pillai

I am not from Sivaji/MGR generation, but I like Sivaji movies just because his versatility. Also, under sivaji hits vs. mgr flops, most of the sivaji movies are b/w versus MGR color flop movies.

MGR was the first one who brought "heroism" in tamil nadu (followed by others after), which made it a pathetic state in India. TN is the only state where actors are worshipped. On this front, the entire blame goes to MGR.

As far as I know, Sivaji was the only actor who release two movies at the same day and made both of them hits. Is there any other actor who achieved this feat?

saradhaa_sn
8th November 2005, 11:14 AM
Dear 'tacinema'....

Your questions are correct. Karnan, Sivandha Mann, Motor Sundaram Pillai...are not utter flop movies. They had run more than 100 days in some cities. But comparing to their oppenents Vettaikaaran, Nam Naadu, Anbe Vaa.... Sivaji's movies did not get that much hit and collection. (Enga Oor raja is a flop, no doubt).

Particularly 'Karnan' was defeated by 'Vettaikaaran' is undigestable even by MGR fans of past and present. Even now also, who are watching both films, surprising how Vettaikaaran defeated a big budgetted and quality movie 'Karnan', which possess all aspects for a mega hit movie.

Same like that MGR's 'Idhaya Veenai' also crossed 100 days, but comparing to the mega hit of 'Vasantha Maaligai' it has not added as a hit movie.

As you mentioned, hero worship is not only in Tamil Nadu, but in Andhra (NTR Dhevudu kaaru) and karnataka (Rajkumar) and also spreaded to Hindi when Abitab enetered the field.

nilavupriyan
8th November 2005, 12:16 PM
Dear 'tacinema'....

Your questions are correct. Karnan, Sivandha Mann, Motor Sundaram Pillai...are not utter flop movies. They had run more than 100 days in some cities. But comparing to their oppenents Vettaikaaran, Nam Naadu, Anbe Vaa.... Sivaji's movies did not get that much hit and collection. (Enga Oor raja is a flop, no doubt).

Particularly 'Karnan' was defeated by 'Vettaikaaran' is undigestable even by MGR fans of past and present. Even now also, who are watching both films, surprising how Vettaikaaran defeated a big budgetted and quality movie 'Karnan', which possess all aspects for a mega hit movie.

Same like that MGR's 'Idhaya Veenai' also crossed 100 days, but comparing to the mega hit of 'Vasantha Maaligai' it has not added as a hit movie.

As you mentioned, hero worship is not only in Tamil Nadu, but in Andhra (NTR Dhevudu kaaru) and karnataka (Rajkumar) and also spreaded to Hindi when Abitab enetered the field.

really? :shock: ............karnan is such a great movie......how come it be defeated....its my favourite shivaji movie...he is so stylish in that movie

mr_karthik
8th November 2005, 01:37 PM
really? :shock: ............karnan is such a great movie......how come it be defeated....its my favourite shivaji movie...he is so stylish in that movie
Nilavu sir,

For fans like you, I made a post in 'Nadigar thilagam Sivaji Ganesan' thread in this forum, about the movie 'Karnan'.

tacinema
8th November 2005, 08:37 PM
Saradhaa,
Thanks for clarification. Karnan got defeated by Vettaikkaran?? MGR's Vettaikkaran is a trash, except songs and Savitri's acting. Somehow, our people failed to appreciate quality against charisma....

m_23_bayarea
10th November 2005, 12:26 AM
[tscii:652764aa32]http://www.intamm.com/movies/history/history3.htm

A superstar who dominated Tamil film scene for three decades M.G.Ramachandran or "M.G.R.". Making his debut in Ellis R. Dungan’s "Sathi Leelavathi" (1936) in a small role he made his way up, up and up - playing small and indifferent roles in the beginning and steadily to more important roles.

In 1947 he appeared as hero in the film "Rajakumari" (1947), directed by A.S.A. Sami. M.G. Ramachandran worked hard to create a personal image as a good Samaritan, do-gooder of the underdog, under privileged, depressed, dispossessed and suffering multitudes. Working with care he chose and moulded his scripts to suit and project such image.

He came out enormously successfully in such image building, which made him an idol of the masses and icon. This popularity and mass following as a bright ever ready to come to the aid of damsels in distress, and champion of the sufferings of ill-treated womanhood. His charisma was so great that the common man and woman of all ages saw the difference or distinction between his screen and real life personalities. This aspect of his life and career awaits a detailed study by a competent psychologist.

Politically active from his early days MGR, with C.N.Annadurai and became his ardent devotee. MGR utilized the powerful medium of cinema as a tool of change to project his ideology, ideas, aims, ambitions, objectives and goals. Through his films, he spread the message of uplifting of the down trodden in which he found amazing success.

"Nadodi Mannan" (1958). This film in color was produced and directed by MGR who also played in double role. "Nadodi Mannan" succeeded enormously at the box-office and established MGR as one of the major forces in Tamil Cinema.

M.G. Ramachandran's fine films are "Rajakumari" (1947), "Manthiri Kumari" (1950),"Sarvathikari" (1951),"Chakravarthi Thirumagal" (1957), "Pudumai Pitthan" (1957), "Nadodi Mannan" (1958), "Araslingakumari" (1961), "Thai Shollai Thattathey" (1961), "Padagotti" (1965), "Anbey Va" (1966), "Kavalkaran" (1969), "Rickshakaran (1971), "Uulagam Suttrum Valiban" (1973), "Urimaikural" (1974), "Idhyakani" (1975), "Meenava Nanban" (1971).

[/tscii:652764aa32]

nilavupriyan
10th November 2005, 08:35 AM
Nilavu sir,

For fans like you, I made a post in 'Nadigar thilagam Sivaji Ganesan' thread in this forum, about the movie 'Karnan'.

oh ...yeah...i know :wink:

Shakthiprabha.
10th November 2005, 09:13 AM
I am/was NOT a fan of MGR.

I liked his foll movies though.

anbE vaa
adimaip pen
enga veetup pillai

I wanna watch..(Ive not watched yet)

padagotti
alibabavum 40 thirudargaLum
neela malaith thirudan (or something like that)
malaik kaLLan
ulagam sutrum vaaliban.

One more movie which I forgot had a song
"kangal irandum endru ummaik kandu pesumo!"
Cast:padmini, anjalidevi, mgr. I forgot the movie name :cry:

joe
10th November 2005, 12:17 PM
sakthi,
that movie is 'Mannathi Mannan'

Shakthiprabha.
10th November 2005, 02:47 PM
thx joe. Its mannathi mannan.

saradhaa_sn
15th November 2005, 05:38 PM
Movie: Naa Yen Pirandhen
Song : "Unathu Vizhiyil Enathu Paarvai"
Lyric : Kavinger Vaali
Music : Shankar - Ganesh
Singers: TMS & P.Suseela
Cast: MGR & K.R.Vijaya

"Naan Yen Pirandhen" one of the best movies by MGR, which is beeing liked by all type of audience for various reasons.

1.Actually it is entirely different from all MGR movies.
2.In the starting itself MGR was shown as a married man and having children.
3. Not even a single dialogue about politics.
4. No normal MGR manarism in songs, lifting hands in the air etc (except the first song)
5. Rare combination of MGR & K.R.Vijaya (only 5 or 6 like Vivasayi, Nalla Neram, Thozhilaali etc)
6. Different type of music compossed by Shankar Ganesh.

That movie has fentastic songs, each one is differ from the other in all aspects.

1) Naan yen pirandhen...naattukku nalamenna purindhen (thathuva paadal)
2) Thambikku oru paattu (it has two versions)
3) Naan paadum paadal nalamaaga vendum (one of the best TMS number)
4) Unathu vizhiyil enathu paarvai (only duet song)
5) Siththira cholaigale (by Bharathidasan, I already mentioned in Kalangarai vilakkam post)
6) Thalai vaazhai ilai pottu virundhu vaiththen... (S.Janaki & Jikki)
(one more song is there as the imagination of Kanchana, dancing with MGR).

I choosed "UNATHU VIZHIYIL ENATHU PAARVAI" because whenever I hear this song (not only me, but everyone) feel something special, due to its mild tunes. Normally SG's tunes in all other movies will be too fast, but here all different.

"Kai therndha sirpiyin kaiyil kidaikkum kal (stone), arputhamaana silai vadivam peruvathu pola, Shankar Ganesh, therndha sirpiyaana MGR kaiyil kidaikka, avar ivargalidamirundhu, kaalamellaam peyar sollum tune galai veli kondu vandhaar. Avaigalil ondru thaan indha paadal".

It was shooted in Brindhavan Garden with MGR and KRV, without MGR formula manarisms, when they are singing the song, Thengai Srinivasan, one of the villains searching for MGR, but they will sing hiding behind the bushes to escape from his sight.

Andha tune patri ennavo sollanum pola irukku, aanaa adhukku sariyaana vaarththai enakku kidaikkalai. Avvalavu arputhamaan melody. Avanga 'Gurunaathar' MSV paaniyil pottiruppaanga. 'Shankar Ganesh potta tunaa idhu'? endru andrum indrum ellorum viyakkiraargal.

Paadiyavargalai patri sollanumaa?. 1000 kanakkil paadi asathiya jodi, idhaiyum romba anaayaasamaaga paadiyiruppargal. Adhilum indha TMS irukkaare... adeyappa. Charanathil mudhal adiyai paadumbothu, mudhalil conitnue aagavum, meendum adhaiye paadumpodhu idaiyil konjam niruthiyum attagaasam pannuvaar. (Meendum andha paadalai ketkumbothu unnipaaga gavaniyungal)

"uyir konda oviyam ondrooo thunai ondru serndhadhendru"
again
"uyir konda oviyam ondru (stop) thunai ondru serndhadhendru"

same like this, in next charanam
"enakkendru vaazhavathu konjammm unakkendru vaazhum nenjam"
again
"enakkendru vaazhvathu konjam (stop) unakkendru vaazhun nenjam"

Suseela amma mattum enna kurainjavangalaa...

"kan imaiyaathu pen ival nindraal, kaaranam kooruvatho
Un(n)ai kaanbathenna sugamo...Un(n)ai kaanbathenna sugamo"

same like this, in end of next charanam

"Ponmanam konda mannavan anbil en uyir vaazhgirathu
adhu endrum vaazhum uravu...adhu endrum vaazhum uravu"

This is the duet song not by the lovers, but between the beloved husband and wife, who already have children...which is a rare situation in MGR movies.

For several reasons, and its catchable melody and for its well picturisation....it is one of my everloving songs.

anbudan....sarooo.

m_23_bayarea
16th November 2005, 05:56 AM
Saradhaa, I love that song NAAN PAADUM PAADAL from that movie. It's an amazing solo that will just give you so much energy to get up and do something in spite of stress or whatever....

These two phrases from the two stanzas are amazing:

Vanthaal paadum en thamizhuku perumai
Vaarathirunthaalo thanimaiiii

Engae naan endru thedattum ennai
Sinthaatha muthangal sintha.....

Two thumbs up !!

mr_karthik
16th November 2005, 03:43 PM
Saradha madam, nice write up about 'Unadhu vizhiyil enathu paAvai' from nAn yEn pirandhEn. Good analysis, especially about the music by Shankar ganesh. Yes it is a memorable mile-stone in their career.

Regarding that movie, all songs are super and different, as you said. That movie is watchable not only by MGR fans, but by all in all period. I watched it several times, for its different pattern from normal MGR movies.

I am expecting another good analysis from you soon about a different song.

S.Balaji
17th November 2005, 12:06 AM
Even the last movie of MGR was a commercial success and a musical delight.....

I mean ... MADHURAI MEETIYA SUNDARA PANDIAN.....

By this time MGR was very old but still managed to keep up his image..... and the movie came out well....

There are lovely songs in this movie :

a. Thenralil aadum koodhalil kanden .... KJY with VJ
b. Amudha thamizil ezudhum kavidhai ....Jayachandran with VJ

MSV was the MD for this movie...

S.Balaji
17th November 2005, 12:13 AM
Kudiyirundha koil....is another musical wonder from MGR...... all songs were super hits...and melodious also.....

The best song is..Aaadaludan paadalai kettu..... MGR doing a pathan type dance with L.Vijayalakshmi...and he did remarkably well...

m_23_bayarea
18th November 2005, 06:10 AM
ULAGAM SUTRUM VAALIBAN was another superhit movie. I think it came in 1973. All the songs were so popular. I saw the 175th day shield at Devi Paradise theatre in Madras. My favorite song in that movie is "Pachai Kili Muthucharam Mullai Kodi Yaro" ......

tfmlover
18th November 2005, 07:26 AM
Saradhaa, I love that song NAAN PAADUM PAADAL from that movie. It's an amazing solo that will just give you so much energy to get up and do something in spite of stress or whatever....

Two thumbs up !!

WOW..its nice to hear u all like this song ..

tfmlover
18th November 2005, 07:26 AM

Two thumbs up !!

WOW..its nice to hear u all like this song ..

tfmlover
18th November 2005, 07:39 AM
i loved 'kalankarai vilakam' superb songs

one scence ..pallavan pallavi paadatume..
minal oviyam idayiniltheeta annam enbathai nadayinil kaata
MGR idai neli and walks dances..hilariously splendor

tfmlover
18th November 2005, 07:51 AM
may be the tune music at the begining or TMS voice like MGR...when it comes to kaadal sogam
for me its ''pallaaku vaanga pOnen oorvalam poga...
and that song under maattu vandi..ithuvarai neengal
panakaara kudumbam .

pOnaalE poovum illamal poTtum illaamal pOnaalE...adhuvum MGR did well
is it from neethiku pin paasam ?

i love all mgr + sarojadevi movies then again raani samyuktha , mannathi mannan , kaanji thalaivan , bhagdad thirudan , vikramaadithan , magadevi , madurai veeran and some of his early eastmn color movies .

m_23_bayarea
18th November 2005, 12:02 PM
i loved 'kalankarai vilakam' superb songs

one scence ..pallavan pallavi paadatume..
minal oviyam idayiniltheeta annam enbathai nadayinil kaata
MGR idai neli and walks dances..hilariously splendor

Kaatru Vaanga Ponean is one of my favorite MGR songs....And that song is in the same movie right ?? Beautiful lyrics of how a guy in love explains his gurl, awesome music and great dancing (funny at times though)...

m_23_bayarea
18th November 2005, 12:04 PM
i love all mgr + sarojadevi movies then again raani samyuktha , mannathi mannan , kaanji thalaivan , bhagdad thirudan , vikramaadithan , magadevi , madurai veeran and some of his early eastmn color movies .

The time when he acted with Saroja Devi was unarguably his best. Talkin abt sad songs, this are some that come to my mind at once ...

Odum Megangale from Ayirathil Oruvan
Tharai mel pirakka vaithaan from Padagotti

S.Balaji
18th November 2005, 12:22 PM
MGR.....with various heroenes....can be analaysed with the various stages in his life....

1. Intial stages - Banumathy, Vyjayanthi mala, Padmini

This was at the prime of his youth.......

2. Second phase - Sarojadevi ( from Naadodi mannan )...this was the first movie for Saroja devi with MGR.....

The entire 60s .....

From youth to getting into the 40s.......

3. Phase 3 - JJ, k.R.Vijaya........

Late 60s and early 70s

By this time itself ...he was a middle aged man...in the 40s.....

4.Phase - 4 Lata, Rajashri, Manjula, Radha Saluja, Padmapriya....

The final stages of his career........ An elderly MGR.....in the late 40s and 50s..........

PROBABLY....THE PHASE WITH SAROJADEVI....SHOULD BE THE BEST OF MGR.......

S.Balaji
18th November 2005, 12:31 PM
ULAGAM SUTRUM VAALIBAN was another superhit movie. I think it came in 1973. All the songs were so popular. I saw the 175th day shield at Devi Paradise theatre in Madras. My favorite song in that movie is "Pachai Kili Muthucharam Mullai Kodi Yaro" ......

Bayarea....

Is the Devi complex still alive now ?? I have fond memories of Devi. paradise...I have seen some wonderful hits.....in the 70s. and 80s.....including USV...
like Varumayin niram sigappu.....

Those days...Devi paradise was supposed to be a very prestigious theatre....as top class movies used to get released.....always housefull....
I think Devi is slightly bigger than Deviparadise.....
The small ones are Devi bala and Devikala....

It was a thrilling sight to see a huge crowd gathering during Deepavali time....when all the 4 theatres will be flooded with crowd.......

Fond memories ......

swathy
18th November 2005, 12:32 PM
MGR - Irandhum vaalbavar

What I have heard about him is

Vallal

Shows great interest in songs. He'll get more from MDs and Lyricists. All his songs gives importance to positive thoughts. even for pathos, words will be somewhat like injecting confidence ( Ex: Enna than nadakkum nadakkattume...)

My favourite song is

Paal Vannam paruvam kandu...(Paasam)

Both the song and visual will be goood.

umaramesh
18th November 2005, 03:58 PM
Friends
I fyou happen to see KANNPOONA POKKILAYE KALPOGALAMA song just watch MGR. very neatly dressed and without any MGR regular style. Just hear the violin&chorous. Amazing composistion from MSV.Lyrics by valli not kannadasan.

ramesh

joe
18th November 2005, 04:03 PM
http://cdjm.blogspot.com/2005/11/blog-post_16.html

Shakthiprabha.
18th November 2005, 04:12 PM
Friends
I fyou happen to see KANNPOONA POKKILAYE KALPOGALAMA song just watch MGR. very neatly dressed and without any MGR regular style. Just hear the violin&chorous. Amazing composistion from MSV.Lyrics by valli not kannadasan.

ramesh

true. I also happen to like this song.

Also

"Kannai nambathE
unnai Ematrum nee kaaNum thoTram..
unmai illaathathu...
arivai nee nambu
ullam thelivaagum
adaiyaalam kaatum
poiyE sollaathathu"

Song, picturisation, situation, mgr...

everything to be enjoyed in this song.

mr_karthik
18th November 2005, 07:33 PM

Bayarea and others...

There is a seperate thread about the songs of "ULAGAM SUTRUM VAALIBAN" in the 'Memories of Yester years' forum. If you visit there, you can see all songs in that movie were well discussed and analysed in a tremondous manner (especially by Mr. Mani sekaran)

Each song have a story, how it was born, how recorded, how shooted etc, which informations will give an amazing experiences for us.

Better all visit there and get a good experience.

saradhaa_sn
18th November 2005, 08:01 PM
Bayarea....

Is the Devi complex still alive now ?? I have fond memories of Devi. paradise...I have seen some wonderful hits.....in the 70s. and 80s.....including USV...
like Varumayin niram sigappu.....

Those days...Devi paradise was supposed to be a very prestigious theatre....as top class movies used to get released.....always housefull....
I think Devi is slightly bigger than Deviparadise.....
The small ones are Devi bala and Devikala....

It was a thrilling sight to see a huge crowd gathering during Deepavali time....when all the 4 theatres will be flooded with crowd.......

Fond memories ......
Dear Balaji, dont worry. Still they are alive.

Eventhough there are several new theatre complex came in recent years, it is still prestigous to watch movies in Devi Complex, which has twoo big and two small theatres.

(One thing you should accept, its car parking area is not enough for four theatres).

Devi is little big than Devi Paradise (just one row). Devi has 1240 seats and Devi Paradise has 1200 seats. Devi Bala has 360 and Devi Kala has 200 (Smallest). None of the theatres have balcony seats, but all in same floor only. So it will give a nice experince to watch in such a big theatre when you watch in Devi and Devi paradise. But 'Devi Kala's experience is entirely different. You will feel that you watching the movie by sitting in a bus.

Especially, watching the movie in Devi Paradise is very nice, because it is in top floor. We can see Shanthi theatre and Plaza (which is no more now) from there. Mostly Tamil films will be released in three except Devi (normally Hindi and English films will run there).

tfmlover
18th November 2005, 08:32 PM
paasam! very sad
uravu solla oruvanindri vaalzhbavan sarojadevi dances he watchs...songs are good
ulagam piranthathu enakaaga..movie starts with confidence but sad ending ..i din like the ending

Shakthiprabha.
18th November 2005, 09:07 PM
What is the story tfmlover? Is it a tragedy ? Ive never heard tragic ending in mgr movie.

S.Balaji
18th November 2005, 09:18 PM
Dear Balaji, dont worry. Still they are alive.

Eventhough there are several new theatre complex came in recent years, it is still prestigous to watch movies in Devi Complex, which has twoo big and two small theatres.

(One thing you should accept, its car parking area is not enough for four theatres).

Saradhajee.... welcome back :o

Correct....Often... there will be a huge traffic jam.... as there is a theatre on both sides of the Devi complex...one is Shanti and another is Plaza... ( I remember seeing Maya bazaar there Loooooong before )

Devi is little big than Devi Paradise (just one row). Devi has 1240 seats and Devi Paradise has 1200 seats. Devi Bala has 360 and Devi Kala has 200 (Smallest). None of the theatres have balcony seats, but all in same floor only. So it will give a nice experince to watch in such a big theatre when you watch in Devi and Devi paradise. But 'Devi Kala's experience is entirely different. You will feel that you watching the movie by sitting in a bus.

enna seat number kooda tak taknu adikireenga.... Neenga really great Saradha chechi...... really really great memory....

I dont remember in which theatre Nenjathai killadhey ran for more than one year.... It should be in one of the smaller Devi.....

Especially, watching the movie in Devi Paradise is very nice, because it is in top floor. We can see Shanthi theatre and Plaza (which is no more now) from there. Mostly Tamil films will be released in three except Devi (normally Hindi and English films will run there).

Great... there will be a circular type stair case.... and we often used to go up and down.... just to have a look at other theatres...and the crowd... all fun.....

Nice to hear that the Devi complex is still alive....

S.Balaji
18th November 2005, 09:23 PM
What is the story tfmlover? Is it a tragedy ? Ive never heard tragic ending in mgr movie.

To my memory...there are only three movies of Makkal thilagam..which ended in tragedy..

1. Paasam .. MG will die .... he will be a thief I think in the beginning. will try to be good later but will not be able to ....and will finally die....
This is one of the few movies...MG really ACTED....

2. Madhurai veeran ...... MG will die.... but a hero's death.....

3. Neerum neruppum... I think... double acting... and one guy will die.....

tfmlover
18th November 2005, 09:31 PM
:( raani samyuktha..rendu perum ! prtihvi and samyuktha
both dying
ghori was mg sakrapaani

Shakthiprabha.
18th November 2005, 10:58 PM
haiyo because he dies only I did not watch raani samyuktha.
wow... pasam story seems good. should get to watch it sometimes. should watch madurai veeran too.

I liked him in MANNATHI MANNAN. Awesome. Songs are good. Story is kinda unique, and not like regular MGR story.

tacinema
18th November 2005, 11:31 PM
It seems, if MGR dies onscreen, the movie did not run well. Except Madurai veeran.

S.Balaji
19th November 2005, 12:07 AM
When MGR was in Brooklyn hospital fighting for his survival...... the entire Chennai was hearing one famous song... AANDAVANAY UN PAADHANGALAI NAAN KANEENIL NEERAATINEN.....

INDHA ORU UYIRAI NEE VAAZA VAIKKA INDRU...UNNIDAM KAI ENDHINEN..... ...

There are some striking words....

ULLAMADHIL ULLAVARAI... ALLITHARUM NALLAVARAI...

VINNULAGAM VAA ENDRAAL... MANNULAGAM ENNAGUM....
It was an apt song... for the then scenario.....

The entire Chenai was hearing this song....

There were mass prayers..... special poojas were performed in temples....

We all thought that MGR will die..... but made a remarkable recovery......

God..... finally when MGR landed in Meenambakkam airport... there was a special function ...organised and when he reached the dais......

there was a sea of well wishers waiting for days together to have a glimpse of the Legendary personality....

and MGR WAS FULL OF TEARS.... AND BECAME VERY EMOTIONAL... WHEN HE SAW A HUGE CROWD.....( though it was customary ...wherever he went... there will be a huge gathering )

This incident I can never forget......

Makkal thilagam... a real star .....

I recollect the famous words which he sang in Vettaikaran...

MAAPERUM SABAIGALIL NEE NADANDHAAL UNAKKU MAALAIGAL VIZAVENDUM....

Yes...... MGR... wherever he went..... he was treated with respect and regards... even in the political circles....

Again... when MGR was in Apollo hospital.. before leaving for Brooklyn.... Indira Gandhi ( the then PM.... rushed to Chennai to see him )
It was a disaster after that....as Indira was gunned down... soon...

After few days... Rajiv Gandhi took charge.... and he also made a visit to see the condition of MGR....

I had the great opportunity of seeing both Indira and Rajiv.... as both went in an open car..... saying namaskaram....to the people who were standing in Mount Road....

MGR ...... is a true legend

tfmlover
19th November 2005, 04:39 AM
haiyo because he dies only I did not watch raani samyuktha.
wow... pasam story seems good. should get to watch it sometimes. should watch madurai veeran too.

I liked him in MANNATHI MANNAN. Awesome. Songs are good. Story is kinda unique, and not like regular MGR story.

mannathi mannan yaaa unique..padmini romba azhagu
kangal irandum endru ummai kandu pesumo
kaniya kaniya mazhalai pesum kanmani...
u must see raani samyukta Shakthiprabha !
chithirathil penn ezhuthi seer paduthum -jamunaraani
oho vennilaa....oh vennilaa vanna poochoodavaa
paavai unaku sethi theriyumaa..good ps tms songs
one partlcr song padmini sings thinking prithvi ...'nenjirukum varaikum ninaivirukum antha..
mgr withdrawn from sight ... hearing it awesome
also..

MGR: inni ullgam enn kaiyyil
PADMINI: naanum thaan
MGR: samyuktha! pagaivargal pazhithu pesuvaargal
nanbargal uyarthi pesuvaargal
kaadhalan anaithu pesuvaan
kaadhali azhaithu pesuvaal ..aanaal ! 'nilavenna pesum kuyilenna paadum malarenna sollum manadhile
kadhai pesumaa inba kavi paadumaa?

you see u will lovit .dont miss

Shakthiprabha.
19th November 2005, 11:53 AM
Ill sure see it tfmlover. The dialogue u quoted sounds sure interesting. :smile:

S.Balaji
19th November 2005, 05:44 PM
Another super hit song of MGR with striking words...

Naan aanayittaal...adhu nadandhu vitaal...

Its a prelude to what is going to happen to DMK ??

Oru thavaru seidhaal adhai therindhu seidhaal...avan devan ( probably Mukaa ) enraalum vidamaaten....

udal uzaika cholven adhil pizaika cholven..pirar urimai porulgalai thoda maaten....

Munbu yesu vandhaar pinbu Gandhi vandhaar...indha maanidar thirundhida pirandhaar...
evar thirundha villai manam varundhavillai...andha melor sonnadhai marandhaar...

En kaalam varum en kadamai varum...indha kayavar kootathia ozipen..

Podhu needhiyilay..pudhu paadhayilay...varum nallor mugathilay vizipen...

Lovely song....memorable song...of Makkal thilagam...

tfmlover
21st November 2005, 03:31 AM
Friends

ramesh

yes stunning...kann pona pokile
pavala kodiyile with taj mahal setting cool one too..
puthiya paravai and panam padaithvan both littlle same but in sivaji movi he kills sowcar...
the mgr song with sowcar...paruvathil konjam uruvathil konjam class!!!

anyone saw this movie..?..'hello miss hello miss enge pOringa..
MGR cuter .

m_23_bayarea
21st November 2005, 03:48 AM
I love this song from the movie Anbe Vaa. It explains how much a guy in love suffers when his gurl goes away from him....AWESOME !!

Ullam endroru kovililae theiyvam vendum Anbe Vaa
Kangal endroru solayile thenral vendum Anbe Vaa

nee irunthaal en maaligai vizhakeriyum
nizhal koduthaal en ninaivugal vizhithukollum
paarvaiyilae velicham illam pagal iravu puriyavillai
paathayum theriyavillai
aayiram thaan vaazhvil varum
nimmathi varuvathillai

Anbe Vaa .....

vaan paravai than siragai enakku thanthaal
poongaatre un uthaviyum enakirunthaal
vaanathilae paranthu senrae ponavalai azhaithu vanthae
kaathalai vaazha vaipen
azhutha mugam sirithirukka
aasaiku uyir kodupaen

Anbe Vaa ....

tfmlover
21st November 2005, 04:12 AM
i agree m_23_bayarea...aayiramthaan vaazhvil varum nimathi varuvadhillai

m_23_bayarea
21st November 2005, 04:43 AM
This song from ENGAL THANGAM is one of my favorite MGR duet songs....Has JJ in it too !!

Thanga Pathakkathin Mele -Oru
Muthu Pathithathu Pole-Unthan
Pattu Kannathn Mele- Onru
Thottu Koduthidalama-Neeyum
Vittu Koduthidalaama

Mulaippoo Pallakku Adai Sumanthu
Mellath Thavazhvathu Kandu-
Oru Kodi Ennam Aasai Nenjil
Minni Maraivathu Undu
Azhagu Nadaiyai Pazhagum Chilaiyai
Anaikka Vanthene-Ithazhkal Pozhiyum
Amutha Mazhayil Mithakka Vanthene

Pattadai Thottada Thenral Kulirnthu
Pakkam Nadanthathu Enna
Uyir Kathal Thalaivan Kaval Irukka
Thottu Izhuppathu Enna?
Paniyil Nanayum Malarin Udalil
Kuliradikkatho?
Oruvan Madiyil Mayangum Pozhuthu
Sugam Pirakkatho

Kothodu Muthada Vanjik Kodiyai
Thottu Thodarvathu enna?
Anthi Maalai Pozhuthin Kathal Ninaivai
Kotti Alappathu enna?
Oorum Uravum Ariyum Varayil Kankal Mattodu
Manamaalai Tholil Soodum Naalil
Kaikal Thottaadu.

tfmlover
21st November 2005, 04:52 AM
jj some songs i liked with mgr ..very talented beautiful looks cheeks lovly smile
not matching for mgr when she shakes too much. kuluki kuluki aaduvaanga

m_23_bayarea
21st November 2005, 04:54 AM
jj some songs i liked with mgr ..very talented beautiful looks cheeks lovly smile
not matching for mgr when she shakes too much. kuluki kuluki aaduvaanga

And she was taller than MGR too :lol:

Justice
21st November 2005, 04:54 AM
:evil: :evil: :evil:

tfmlover
21st November 2005, 04:58 AM
i din notice shes taller...modern
but kumkumapottin mangalam jodi porutham good...white saree mgr with pottu too..
thanipiravi both good
neram nalla neram konja nerungi paarkum neram...she twist twist..twist of the century

m_23_bayarea
21st November 2005, 05:01 AM
Yeah I agree, JJ looked so pretty in sarees !!!

joe
21st November 2005, 06:59 AM
Do you guys know that 'Engal Thangam' screen play dialogues by late central minister Murasoli Maran ..It was produced by 'Megala pictures' ,kalainjar's home production..The movie relaesed after Anna dead .In the song 'Naan seththu Pozhachavanda' ,there is a line "santhana pettiyil uRangukiraar Anna .sariththira puhazhudan viLanguhurar" and Anna's body shown.

tfmlover
21st November 2005, 07:10 AM
u knw lots..thanks joe.. i must see that movi again then

is maanika theril maragatha kalasam minuvadhenna..same movi i think so..
i love 'chella kiliye mella pesu
thendral kaatre mella veesu

thoongum mannavan thoongattume thodarum kanavugal thodaratume
thingal mugam eduthu sevvaai idhaz eduthu vellai malar siripil pillai varuvaan
thatthum nadai nadaka thandai kural koduka sitham kulira vaika mutham tharuvaan..very emotional mgr

rachel
21st November 2005, 08:26 AM
:evil: :evil: :evil:

:lol:

joe
21st November 2005, 08:49 AM
thanks Tfmlover.

MGR helped a lot personally for Murasoli Maran's studies .MGR had special affection for Murasoli maran .Later to help Murasoli maran ,MGR acted in 'Engal Thangam'.

When MGR was expelled from DMK later ,Murasoli Maran was very unhappy with kalainjar and he opposed.

In engal thangam ,in the same song "Naan seththu pozhachavanda" ,there is also a line praising kalainjar .It goes like "Oodum rayilil thalai vaiththu..." mentioning kalainjar's kallakudi rayil mariyal protest.

Shakthiprabha.
21st November 2005, 11:10 AM
Many of MGR songs(almost all?) are good and meaningful. Cant quote one and leave other. :smile:

umaramesh
21st November 2005, 05:02 PM
Hi
CHELLA KEELIYA MELLA PEASU -Petraal Thaan Pilliya. TMS Kalakitaar.

Same way I like MINNMINIAYE KANMANIYAAI KONDAVANAI ENNEDAAMAY THANTHAAL UN ANANI- TMS&LRE combination. from KANNAN EN KATHALAN.

Thaga Pathakathin Mellae- Outstanding duet. Difference in this song is usage of violin in between as soon as singer finishes lyric part.

RAMESH

arvind
21st November 2005, 05:33 PM
Good work Bayarea,

But there are some corrections. Veera Jagathis is not Tamil film. That's not Harichandra but Haridas. Needhikkupin Paasam is not MGR film.

MGR Filmography

S. No Year Movie Name

4) 1938 Veera Jagathis
11) 1943 Harichandra

Jilaba
21st November 2005, 06:22 PM
thanks Tfmlover.

MGR helped a lot personally for Murasoli Maran's studies .MGR had special affection for Murasoli maran .Later to help Murasoli maran ,MGR acted in 'Engal Thangam'.

When MGR was expelled from DMK later ,Murasoli Maran was very unhappy with kalainjar and he opposed.

In engal thangam ,in the same song "Naan seththu pozhachavanda" ,there is also a line praising kalainjar .It goes like "Oodum rayilil thalai vaiththu..." mentioning kalainjar'skallakudi rayil mariyal protest.
In same movie, another song:

"Naan alavodu rasippavan....ethaiyum alavindri kodupavan"

endru M.G.R. thannai thaane pugalndhu kolvaar. Padam mulukka arasiyal nedi.

Jilaba
21st November 2005, 06:32 PM
Good work Bayarea,

But there are some corrections. Veera Jagathis is not Tamil film. That's not Harichandra but Haridas. That's not Andaman Kaidhi but Andaman Kadhali.

MGR Filmography

S. No Year Movie Name

4) 1938 Veera Jagathis
11) 1943 Harichandra
25) 1952 Andaman Kaithi

Yov Arvind,

Bayarea sonnathu moonum correct.

Andhaman Kaithi thaan M.G.R.padam

Andhaman Kadhali - sivaji padam.

pottu kulapikaathe, sariya?.

tfmlover
21st November 2005, 08:24 PM
[quote="arvind"]Good work Bayarea,

But there are some corrections. Veera Jagathis is not Tamil film. That's not Harichandra but Haridas. Needhikkupin Paasam is not MGR film.

:!: ??? it is neetrhiku pin paasam mgr sarojadevi..
akkam pakkam paarkadhe...
maan allavo kangal thanthathu
good songs1 of my fav movi

tacinema
21st November 2005, 09:06 PM
I like MGR movie songs and those songs helped him to become a big mass hero, and ultimately CM. But, unfortunately, only MGR was benefitted, not lyricist or TMS, who sang most of his songs.

arvind
21st November 2005, 09:09 PM
I think its Thaaiku Pin Thaaram.

m_23_bayarea
22nd November 2005, 12:38 AM
Good work Bayarea,

Thanks Arvind !!

m_23_bayarea
22nd November 2005, 01:06 AM
Bayarea sonnathu moonum correct.

Andhaman Kaithi thaan M.G.R.padam

Andhaman Kadhali - sivaji padam.

pottu kulapikaathe, sariya?.

Welcome to the hub, Jilaba !!

tfmlover
22nd November 2005, 03:06 AM
I think its Thaaiku Pin Thaaram.

thaaiku pin thaaram he did with p bhanumathi...
aahaa nam aasai niravemaa..from that
neethiku pin paasam in late 60's i think

Jilaba
22nd November 2005, 12:24 PM
Good work Bayarea,

MGR Filmography

S. No Year Movie Name

4) 1938 Veera Jagathis
11) 1943 Harichandra

Yov Arvind, you are continously proving that you are a half boiled.

Neethikupin Pasam M.G.R padam illenna, veru yaar padam?. Ajith padama ille Vikram padama?

Neethikkupin Pasam M.G.R padamthaan. M.G.R. and Sarojadevi are pairs and produced by Devar Films.

Bayarea - vin databasekku munnal, neeyellam oru bacha.
therinjiko.

S.Balaji
22nd November 2005, 12:32 PM
Needhikku pinn paasam....is an MGR movie only......

I remember Kumudham....giving a comment during thier vimarsanam...

NEEDHIKKU PINN PAASAM....

PAADHIKKU PINN MOSAM !

Shakthiprabha.
22nd November 2005, 01:00 PM
I remember Kumudham....giving a comment during thier vimarsanam...

NEEDHIKKU PINN PAASAM....

PAADHIKKU PINN MOSAM !

:lol: That was very hilarious! Kumudam with such an open criticism!? wow!

S.Balaji
22nd November 2005, 01:22 PM
Naadodee Mannan had two heroenes....

First half will be with Banumathy.....and the second half...the grand introduction of the great Sarojadevi....the first movie for her pairing with MGR....

Its heard that MGR and Banumathy didnt get along well ......which prompted MGR to end the role of her midway...and bring in a new character...through Sarojadevi...Not sure about this.....

THoongaadhey thambi thoongaadhey...is one of the best thought provoking songs of Makkal thilagam.....

flooded with meanings like :

Oru Padai dhanil thoogiyavan vetri izandhaan

Uyar Palliyil thoongiyavan... kalvi izandhaan

Kadai dhanil thoongiyavan mudhal izandhaan

Konda kadamayil thoongiyavan...pugaz izandhaan.....

Golden words........worth preserving.....

tfmlover
22nd November 2005, 10:01 PM
sila porupulla manithargal thookathinaal pala ponnaana velayellaam thoonguthappa !!
best lines for politicians
pattukOtai kalyaanasundaram lyrics ? he did chinnapayalE chinnapayalE for mgr too

m_23_bayarea
22nd November 2005, 10:49 PM
therinjiko.

Machi, Thanks for your appreciation....But let's also try to avoid criticising each other .....

S.Balaji
23rd November 2005, 12:59 AM
sila porupulla manithargal thookathinaal pala ponnaana velayellaam thoonguthappa !!
best lines for politicians
pattukOtai kalyaanasundaram lyrics ? he did chinnapayalE chinnapayalE for mgr too

TFML...

Thoongadhey is from Pattukottai only.... I think for Chinnapayalay also.....

There is a phrase which was quite frequently used in Pattimandram guys....

VEPPAMARA UCHIYIL NINNU... PEYONNU AADUDHUNNU... VILAYAADA POGUMBODHU... SOLLI VAIPAANGA...

UNDHAN VEERATHAI KOZUNDHILAYYAY KILLI VAIPAANGA...

VELLAYATRA VEENARGALIN... .MOOLAIYATRA VAARTHAIGALAI...

VEDIKAIYAAGA KOODA NAMBIVIDAADHEY........

Lovely lyrics...

I think ethanai kaalam dhaan emaatruvaar. also is from Patukotai...not sure....

mr_karthik
23rd November 2005, 03:28 PM
Good work Bayarea,

MGR Filmography

S. No Year Movie Name

4) 1938 Veera Jagathis
11) 1943 Harichandra

Yov Arvind, you are continously proving that you are a half boiled.

Neethikupin Pasam M.G.R padam illenna, veru yaar padam?. Ajith padama ille Vikram padama?

Neethikkupin Pasam M.G.R padamthaan. M.G.R. and Sarojadevi are pairs and produced by Devar Films.

therinjiko.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

mr_karthik
23rd November 2005, 03:40 PM
I think ethanai kaalam dhaan emaatruvaar. also is from Patukotai...not sure....
Dear Balaji sir,

I heared "eththanai kAlamthAn yEmAtRucAr indha nAttilE" written by Kavi. Ka. Mu. Sheriff.

His other songs are "annaiyai pOl oru"
"vAnil muzhu mathiyai kandEn"
'vAzhndhAlum yEsum...thAzhndhAlum yEsum".

tfmlover
23rd November 2005, 09:51 PM
naan petra selvam all song i think he wrote
ulavum thendral kaatrinile..is mantri kumari mgr?
erikaraimele poravale penmayile i guess ssr i think

tfmlover
24th November 2005, 08:32 AM
ethanai kalam thaan emmatruvaar..i saw paavam pony horse . bhanumathy too heavy . mgr tug.

Cod
24th November 2005, 05:02 PM
Here is a million dollar question. Who gave more hits - MGR or Sivaji?

Until last midnight, I was in the impression that MGR gave more hits than Sivaji. And that's why he became CM.

But now I am not so sure anymore.

MGR made his debut in 1936 but was struggling for survival until Independence. Sivaji made his debut in 1952 and his takeoff was instant!

By the end of the 1950s, Sivaji was already seen as equal of MGR even though he is a junior to him, strictly speaking.

It was in the 1960s that MGR probably narrowed the gap with Sivaji giving as many hits or even more.

In the 1970s, MGR cult was born and he took a decisive lead over Sivaji.

MGR's last film as a hero released in 1977.

Sivaji's last film as a hero was probably Mudhal Mariyadhai (1985). So he must have given statistically more hits than MGR in his film career overall.

Am I correct?

Cod
24th November 2005, 05:10 PM
If the above hypothesis is true, then it raises a new more baffling question.

Box office success does not necessarily translate into political power. That probably explains Rajini fiasco and Vijaykanth ambitions!

Oh my god!

tacinema
24th November 2005, 06:15 PM
Seems Sivaji was more consistent than MGR in giving hits. In 1950 and 60s, sivaji gave more hits then MGR, but in late 60 and 70s, due to charisma, MGR gave more than sivaji.
In terms of Return on Investment (ROI), sivaji was far better than MGR, because most of sivaji movie budgets was less than mGR movies.
again, sivaji was experimenting with his acting skill, more versatile; mgr hardly experimented, monotonous. sivaji acted in more movies than mgr. despite these, sivaji gave more silver jubilee hits than mgr.

Jilaba
24th November 2005, 07:08 PM

Correct, Bayarea...

Several times, during the clash between the movies of both of them, MGR's films made Shivaji's films as flops.

For example:

'Enga veettu piilai' vs 'Pazhani'

Some examples:

Cod,

I saw this post by Saradhaa_sn in page no.9 of this thread.

I hope it will help you to strong your statement.

Pras
24th November 2005, 07:15 PM

Until last midnight, I was in the impression that MGR gave more hits than Sivaji. And that's why he became CM.

MGR made his debut in 1936 but was struggling for survival until Independence. Sivaji made his debut in 1952 and his takeoff was instant!

By the end of the 1950s, Sivaji was already seen as equal of MGR even though he is a junior to him, strictly speaking.

It was in the 1960s that MGR probably narrowed the gap with Sivaji giving as many hits or even more.

Sivaji's last film as a hero was probably Mudhal Mariyadhai (1985). So he must have given statistically more hits than MGR in his film career overall.

Am I correct?

ya :clap: ... sivaji vazhga :clap:

joe
24th November 2005, 07:38 PM

Am I correct?

You are absolutely correct.

Cod
25th November 2005, 05:14 AM
What is the secret of MGR's physique?

I was watching Naan Yaen Pirandhen (1972). He was 55 then. But he looks like 35!

Jilaba
25th November 2005, 10:42 AM
What is the secret of MGR's physique?

I was watching Naan Yaen Pirandhen (1972). He was 55 then. But he looks like 35!

Did you watch Sumathi En Sundhari (1971)..?. Sivaji was 45 then. But looks like 25..!! :D

S.Balaji
25th November 2005, 12:53 PM
If the above hypothesis is true, then it raises a new more baffling question.

Box office success does not necessarily translate into political power. That probably explains Rajini fiasco and Vijaykanth ambitions!

Oh my god!

True....Box office hits does not necessarily translate ....

but just analyse the kind of roles MGR had played and Shivaji had played....

Most of the MGR movies will be portraying MGR as a champion of the poor, as someone who is living only for the welfare of the poor and downtrodden.... this kind of image ...MGR had built up over a period of time... Lets take some movies to study about MGR :

1. Padagooteee - This movie is all about what problems and issues that fishermen community face in their day to day and how a person with geniuine intentions can bring them together so that the whole society is benefitted
2. Vivasayee - About the poor vivasayee ( not the agriculturist who owns the land )
3. Aayirathil oruvan - An ordinary man revolting against anarchy in a small kingdom ..in the process gets imprisoned and deported to another country....how he manges to capture the hearts of all the slaves and prisoners and gives freedom to them all....
4. Netru indru naalai - One MGR will be a scavenger forming part of a down trodden society and will make all efforts to uplift .........

Above all...the kind of power packed songs ....punch dialogues that he gave were instrumental in his steady rise to political stardom....

These are just few examples of how MGR steadily and consitently marketed and positioned himself to be the champion of the masses....and this might have convinced the innocent , ignorant , uneducated village people......
and finally this got translated into votes......and ultimately MGR could win the elections..... with thumping victories.....
but lets not forget that DMK always used to win the city and the metro assembly seats....while MGR used to comfortably win the rural seats........
Again ....despite the charisma and the mass appeal...without the support of COngress , MGR still could have won the elections but the margin of victory would have been tiny ......as the vote share MGR had was around 33 % I think.... ( which I think JJ is holding to now also ).....

Whereas SHivaji never projected himself in the manner MGR did....he was more focussed on the roles....and various characters.....
The sad thing was when SHivaji's party ( Thamizaga munnetra munnani ) participated in the elections they could not get their deposit back in most of the constituencies ( may be none )...Shivaji stood in Thiruvaiyaru constituency....and got defeated by an unknown guy........
SHivaji lost heavily financially.....basically he was an emotional character.....did not apply his mind ....on his strengths and weaknesses...rather he didnt do a Strength , weakness, opportunity and threat analysis ....and burnt his fingers.....

Another basic difference in the style of the 2 giants was ....

For a poor ....ordinary village guy....after slogging the whole day in the work spot will look for some entertainment and relief......which he got from Makkal thilagam movies....
while Nadigar thilagam movies...you will have to go with hand kerchief......

Cod
26th November 2005, 03:33 AM
Adimai Pen (1969) was a bizarre outlandish film of sorts.

All the characters in this film wear Byzantine/Roman costumes!

But it had a terrific climax where MGR challenges a lion with bare hands!

I heard that this lion has been mummified after death and stocked in his memorial.

tfmlover
26th November 2005, 08:33 PM
africaavil raaju? raamu?
yesunathar
MGR gave up with the intent , anyone knws anything..maybe balaji ..bayarea
i saw MGR pics With blond hair and splendid physique like jesus

Shakthiprabha.
26th November 2005, 09:17 PM
yeah.. i remember seeing clipping in tv with mgr and blond hair to play jesus

he really did look presentable.

m_23_bayarea
27th November 2005, 09:39 PM
africaavil raaju? raamu?
yesunathar
MGR gave up with the intent , anyone knws anything..maybe balaji ..bayarea
i saw MGR pics With blond hair and splendid physique like jesus

I have seen those pics too....But I donno either which movie they come from !!

m_23_bayarea
5th December 2005, 03:14 AM
m.g. ramachandran

http://www.upperstall.com/people/mgr.html

The height of emotional response that 'MGR' could evoke was evident when in 1987 during a critical illness, 22 people committed suicide in the hope their deaths would save him! Stories of poor people selling their blood in order to get money to see his films on first release are legendary!

Born Marudur Gopalamenon Ramachandran in Kandy, Sri Lanka, his family moved to Tamil Nadu where they lived in poverty. When he was 6, he joined a theatre group - the Madurai Original Boys. Here he picked up acting, dancing and swordplay.

MGR made his screen debut in Ellis R. Duncan's Sati Leelavathi (1936) but his first major breakthrough came much, much later with Rajakumari (1947).

MGR's 1950s screen persona in adventure films constructed an image of political as well as physical invincibility. Often the themes of his films were derived from heroic ballads which are part of the oral tradition of rural Tamil Nadu. For example - Madurai Veeran (1956), one of his most popular films, is based on the legend of Madurai Veeran, a popular deity of Southern Tamil Nadu. His legend has been the subject of various ballads and plays and this was the second filmed version of the story.

In the 1960s MGR turned to more 'realistic' fantasies mostly in a contemporary setting often playing someone from the oppressed class - a peasant, taxi driver or fisherman. For millions of fans, his image as the knight in shining armour, saving damsels in distress and being totally dutiful towards his mother was in fact a reality. Mother tongue, motherland and motherhood were what he based his popularity on. To quote M.S.S. Pandian in The Image Trap: M.G. Ramachandran in Film and Politics...

"The social universe of the MGR is a universe of asymmetrical power.......The conflict between the upper caste/ class oppressors and MGR as a subaltern, and its resolution forms the core of the film. MGR, in the course of the conflict, appropriates several signs or symbols of authority or power from those who dominate."

MGR used food, colour patterns (black and red, symbols of the DMK) and masquerades (often through double roles of oppressor and oppressed) to construct this universe. In Engal Thangam (1970) for example, MGR playing a truck driver Thangam, fights, sings, cares for the poor and preaches against smoking and drinking. The DMK colours - black and red are frequently featured in the clothes he wears. He even appears as himself in the opening scene at a Small Savings Function. Thangam is in the audience and even refers to him as 'vathiyar' (teacher), the reverent title by which he was known to his fans!

MGR had joined the DMK party in 1953 and remained its member till 1972. This included a brief stint in the Madras Legislative Council from 1962 - 64, being a member of the Legislative Assembly (1967) when the party won the state elections and the DMK Treasurer (1970).

He fell out with the DMK chief Karunanidhi and used the DMK's propaganda idiom against the DMK itself in Nam Naadu (1969). In 1972 he set up the rival Anna - DMK party claiming allegiance to the DMK's founder, the late Annadurai.

In 1977, his party renamed the AIADMK won the state elections in alliance with Indira Gandhi's Congress party. MGR became Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu and was re-elected for three consecutive terms. As Chief Minister, he organized a totalitarian crackdown on all political dissent while introducing populist schemes such as the Chief Minister's Nutritious Meal Programme.

Having survived a bullet wound when he was shot at by fellow actor M.R. Radha in 1967 (which affected his speech), he achieved demi-god status following a paralytic stroke in 1984 which he survived for three years thus acquiring the label 'thrice born'. When he died in 1987, his funeral procession was attended by over 2 million people!

A temple has been built in Madras with MGR as deity.

Memorable Films

Rajakumari (1947)
Marmayogi (1951)
Andaman Kaithi (1952)
Malaikallan (1954)
Alibabavum 40 Thirudargalum (1955)
Madurai Veeran (1956)
Chakravarthi Thirumagal (1957)
Nadodi Mannan (1958)
Arasilankumari (1961)
Periya Idathu Penn (1963)
Ayirathil Oruvan (1965)
Thaikku Thalaimagan (1967)
Kanavan (1968)
Pudhiya Bhoomi (1968)
Mattukkara Velan (1969)
Nam Naadu (1969)
Engal Thangam (1970)
Ulagam Sutrum Valiban (1973)

tfmlover
5th December 2005, 06:55 AM
thanks bay area ..link good too

m_23_bayarea
5th December 2005, 10:21 PM
thanks bay area ..link good too

Thank You !! More to come .... :)

Surya
8th December 2005, 10:28 AM
Take a look @ these folks!!!

http://www.hum.au.dk/etno/mgr2R.jpg

http://www.hum.au.dk/etno/mgr3R.jpg

tfmlover
11th December 2005, 08:21 AM
[quote="Surya"]Take a look @ these folks!!!
wow!thanks surya

tfmlover
11th December 2005, 08:23 AM
[quote=Surya]Take a look @ these folks!!!
wow! thanks surya
i found one mgr link with articls and some rare pics i dono if i can post , mayb you all seen aleady

m_23_bayarea
15th December 2005, 03:25 AM
Check out some videos of superhit MGR songs....Enjoy !! :)

http://mgrpart1.tripod.com/

tfmlover
16th December 2005, 10:40 AM
thanks bayarea

try this one , remarkable , rare pics too
http://www.kathalnet.com/cinema/actorspage/page/mgr.html

m_23_bayarea
16th December 2005, 07:07 PM
thanks bayarea

try this one , remarkable , rare pics too
http://www.kathalnet.com/cinema/actorspage/page/mgr.html

NICE !!! Thanks tfm ... :)

tfmlover
18th December 2005, 05:49 AM
i am glad u liked..good pics right bayarea

m_23_bayarea
20th December 2005, 05:11 AM
i am glad u liked..good pics right bayarea

ABSOLUTELY !!! :)

stranger
20th December 2005, 06:26 AM
Adimai Pen (1969) was a bizarre outlandish film of sorts.

All the characters in this film wear Byzantine/Roman costumes!

But it had a terrific climax where MGR challenges a lion with bare hands!

I heard that this lion has been mummified after death and stocked in his memorial.

Asokan: mArappA! inRu enna naaL?!

His button-man: paavi mangammA unga kaala vettuna naaL yejamAn!

asokan: aaaah, naan yEn innum uyirOda irukkEn?

:rotfl:

Shakthiprabha.
20th December 2005, 09:35 AM
Asokan: mArappA! inRu enna naaL?!

His button-man: paavi mangammA unga kaala vettuna naaL yejamAn!

asokan: aaaah, naan yEn innum uyirOda irukkEn?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl: Stranger, THIS IS BETTER THAN EVEN SO CALLED KAUNDAMANI JOKES :lol: :lol:

u made my day. :lol:

Alien
20th December 2005, 10:28 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl: Stranger, THIS IS BETTER THAN EVEN SO CALLED KAUNDAMANI JOKES :lol: :lol:

And u have nominated Vadivelu (for CM :bang head:) as the best comedian of this year !!!??? :bang head:

Justice
20th December 2005, 10:29 AM

And u have nominated Vadivelu (for CM :bang head:) as the best comedian of this year !!!??? :bang head:

Shakthiprabha.
20th December 2005, 07:24 PM
:grin: I am not for VADIVELU type of comedies too. Here I did not have a choice, as noone else was anywhere near worthy of mention. Vivek's comedy in ANNIYAN was kinda okei(not great)...(VADIVELU's was sick too.....just went with the crowd for a change)

end dign. :smile:

Shakthiprabha.
20th December 2005, 07:32 PM

Vasanth, u should bang ur head, non-stop only then it works, no intermittent banging :lol:

:bang(nospace)head: :lol: :lol:

Alien
20th December 2005, 07:40 PM
Ayyo..aiyo...SP akka, neenga still oru kuzhanthai thaan :D , or u r too influenced coz of talking too much with kids :lol: :P .......
I don't like to use that smiley, it looks kinda creepy, thats why I intentionally had a space there for that to not appear in my post :) ......

Anyway, I did get ur pun :wink: :thumbsup:
BTW thanks for editing in ur nominations :P ! (Actually I love some of Kavundamani & Vadivelu , but def not CM's so called jokes & I love Vivek's thoroughly :P )

Shakthiprabha.
20th December 2005, 07:56 PM
Ayyo..aiyo...SP akka, neenga still oru kuzhanthai thaan

NEram thaan :shock: :P :hammer: :P

:D , or u r too influenced coz of talking too much with kids :lol: :P .......

hehehe :lol: :D

I don't like to use that smiley, it looks kinda creepy, thats why I intentionally had a space there for that to not appear in my post :) ......

:roll: :roll: okei..........

Anyway, I did get ur pun :wink: :thumbsup:

BTW thanks for editing in ur nominations :P ! (Actually I love some of Kavundamani & Vadivelu , but def not CM's so called jokes & I love Vivek's thoroughly :P )[/

Well I did not know we can have more than one nominations. :grin: We share the same bout kaundamani and vadivelu here. :smile:

Alien
20th December 2005, 08:03 PM
Well I did not know we can have more than one nominations. :grin: We share the same bout kaundamani and vadivelu here. :smile:
Good to know that :D
I have been noticing this for some time, U never seem to click on those smileys , but u write the code urself...thats why ur posts contain things like :smile: :grin: and not :) :D ..........I don't do that , I always click on those smileys, so therez no way the code be wrong in my post unless I wanted it otherwise, like in the previous instance....
BTW I've disabled smileys in this post... :)

Shakthiprabha.
20th December 2005, 08:21 PM
:)

Thiru
20th December 2005, 08:27 PM
Please keep your chatting and non-topic related talk in the Chat thread.. I'm seeing all threads being used for chat recently and have got complaints from hubbers too...

Avenger
20th December 2005, 08:51 PM
I'm staying away from complaints aint I???

Please keep your chatting and non-topic related talk in the Chat thread.. I'm seeing all threads being used for chat recently and have got complaints from hubbers too...

tfmlover
24th December 2005, 05:31 AM
awesome mgr song video 'dancing in the rain ' with kr vijaya
movie: thaazhampoo

http://tamilinfo.net/songs/thoovaanam_v.ram

tfmlover
24th December 2005, 10:43 AM
[tscii:b4c3a64ed1]Marudur Gopalamenon Rama 'chandran on earth - a star in heaven will forever shine
will cherish you distinguish always !
(January 17, 1917–December 24, 1987 ) [/tscii:b4c3a64ed1]

Shakthiprabha.
25th December 2005, 10:57 AM
Which is the movie which has the foll songs..

1. rukkumaniyE... pappara para para
2. naanga puthusa kattikkitta jodi thanunga...

What is the name of the movie?
What is the climax?

Its a diff movie than his routine one. :smile:
Is it a hindi remake? Looks like one.

nilavupriyan
25th December 2005, 10:59 AM
banumathi...the pair with m.g.r in "alibabavum 40 thirudargalum died"...

"azhaga ponnuthan adharketha kannuthan" :cry:

Shakthiprabha.
25th December 2005, 11:25 AM
OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD :cry:

Cod
25th December 2005, 11:44 AM
She was senior to MGR himself in Kollywood!

She was the first multi-talented heroine who can sing, dance, emote naturally. She has directed and produced several films too.

May her soul rest in peace.

She was 80.

மண்ணுக்கு மரம் பாரமா?
மரத்துக்கு கிளை பாரமா?

:cry:

Listen to classic sound tracks from Banumathi films at:
http://ww.smashits.com/music/tamil/songs/3731/bhanumathi-1.html
http://ww.smashits.com/music/tamil/songs/3732/bhanumathi-2.html

nilavupriyan
25th December 2005, 07:52 PM
M.G.R is the real super star!

His deeds off-screen were really touching...some of his deeds

1)during a shooting one of his fighters have to fall in a swimming pool.as the water level in swimming pool is very low,his leg fractured.M.G.R himself took him to the hospital by his car and admiited him.He met that fighter once in two days.When the producers asked M.G.R abt the film shooting M.g.r. just said "let the fighter recover.only after the fighter recover the shooting will start.Even if it take months let the set be there.dont remove.Let the fighter come and act!..M.g.r paid all the medical bill personally.after the fighter discharged M.G.R arranged for a car for regular check-up.He gave 10 thousand to the fighters wife also(a big amount in those days)...and arranged for a person to help the fighter !

2)saavithiri was also admitted in the same hospital where the fighter was admitted.hearing the financial problem of saavithiri M.G.R paid the medical bills of saavithi also.And once when saavithiri met M.g.r and told him that she doesnt have a onE home M.G.R alloted a home for her in anna nagar and gave an amount of 1 lakh immediatly(a huge sum those days)

3)s.p.b. is actually fixed for an M.G.R song.but due to some health problem s.p.b couldnt sing that song.but M.G.R waited for s.p.b to regain his health and made him sing that song after months.The reason given by M.G.R is "nee college payyan.M.G.Rku padarennu perumaya ellorukkum solli iruppa.unna disappoint panna vendamnu than wait pannen"

what a man!.a real super star!..dont compare him anyone.....who are not 1% as good as M.G.R!

Justice
25th December 2005, 08:45 PM
very well said! :thumbsup: :clap: moreover, he could act better than any superstars

M.G.R is the real super star!

what a man!.a real super star!..dont compare him anyone.....who are not 1% as good as M.G.R!

Shakthiprabha.
25th December 2005, 11:12 PM
Nilavu,

I RESPECT AND ADMIRE MGR as a person and as a politician.

I just feel he was NOT A TALENTED ACTOR. Otherwise no doubt he lived his life SO WELL :clap:

Justice
25th December 2005, 11:14 PM
MGR is a better actor than current S* :clap:

Shakthiprabha.
25th December 2005, 11:18 PM
I think BANUMATHI deserves opening of a thread, TO convey her death news.

She was a multitalented(called ashtaavathani in those days) who acted, sang, danced, directed and produced.

Very pretty lady iwth excellent talent. She was a nightmare of leading heros of yesteryears with her dedication and strong moral values.

Can someone plz open a thread. ??? iTS A REQUEST. I m not sure how true is the news and did not get any link about her.

Listen to classic sound tracks from Banumathi films at:
http://ww.smashits.com/music/tamil/songs/3731/bhanumathi-1.html
http://ww.smashits.com/music/tamil/songs/3732/bhanumathi-2.html

tfmlover
27th December 2005, 08:35 AM
[quote="Shakthiprabha"]Which is the movie which has the foll songs..

1. rukkumaniyE... pappara para para
2. naanga puthusa kattikkitta jodi thanunga...

yaa i think its 'phool aur patthar remake from hindi 'olivilaku
sowcar janaki inspired by meena kumari's role she requested
MGR to help her get that role in tamil . he did !
i liked the tamil version better coz of the way MGR
mgrfyd ( modify ) dharmendra's hard drinker role beautifuly to suit his ' non drinking ' attitude .
which is good

tfmlover
27th December 2005, 08:42 AM
[quote="nilavupriyan"]banumathi...the pair with m.g.r in "alibabavum 40 thirudargalum died"...
extraordinary bhanumathi

sorry to hear :cry:

kaanji thalaivan , nadodi mannan , thaaikku pin thaaram ..she did with MGR

tamizharasan
28th December 2005, 11:03 PM
It is good to see thread like this. People have always shown MGR on bad light but this thread shows good part of MGR. He might had committed big mistakes in real life but he had done lot other good things to compensate those and more. I won't call him very good person but compared with other TN Politicians at his point of time he was far better.

nilavupriyan
28th December 2005, 11:29 PM
It is good to see thread like this. People have always shown MGR on bad light but this thread shows good part of MGR. He might had committed big mistakes in real life but he had done lot other good things to compensate those and more. I won't call him very good person but compared with other TN Politicians at his point of time he was far better.

endha ooru sir neenga?...when did u see people showing bad light on M.G.R

U wont call him a good person?......all know his personal life!...its not our duty to weigh a person according to personal life!....in public life he is a real superstar....a real philanthropist

Justice
28th December 2005, 11:37 PM

U wont call him a good person?......all know his personal life!...its not our duty to weigh a person according to personal life!....in public life he is a real superstar....a real philanthropist

it's pity that some people can't accept MGR was a good human. they have nothing to talk about so go into personal life. who in this world is perfect? nobody. all make mistake there's no exception. MGR could've made some but from the public view, he never made any. He never encouraged any one to smoke or to drink, always in his films respected women which many other superstars failed or fails to do.
MGR is one of the best person I've heard of. :notworthy:

tamizharasan
29th December 2005, 12:06 AM
Nilavupriyan
Change your question to U wont call him a very good person?
Because I don't think he is very good person but definitely good person indeed. In my opinion there is difference between good and very good person.

stranger
29th December 2005, 12:34 AM
U wont call him a good person?......all know his personal life!...its not our duty to weigh a person according to personal life!.

Really?!

Why do you have to skip that completely?!

I dont understadn your bs,EVER.

Wherever I go you come up with this CRAP!

Personal life ALWAYS counts.

As a person if someone (I dont mean mgr here, NOTE) is a child-molester, even if he gives life to million. He is a SCUM and SICK! :twisted:

You better get that. And CUT the bullshit about nothing wrong even if someone molests young kids blah blah blah FOR EVER! :evil:

Surya
29th December 2005, 01:10 AM
We have ppl who justify child molestation here? :shock:

If u want to consider Personal Matters, then Consider the fact that Thanthai Periyar married a girl who is old enough to be his granddaughter! Consider the Fact that KK has 2 wives, and who knows how much other extra fittings! :P Consider the strange Love/Hate relationship between JJ and Sasikala, and the things that JJ has done to her family. Positive and Negative!

But when it comes to Periyar, people tend to only take the "SOCIAL" messages he has given to society!

What is wrong with MGR's personal life anyway? :huh: Other than the fact that he had a affair with JJ. But what politician hasn't had an affiar?? :huh:

But MGR is one of the greatest politicians that Tamil Nadu has ever seen surpassing all of that! 8-)

Avenger
29th December 2005, 01:12 AM
Thank God that Surya is not in India.If he was,these posts deserve a life-imprisonment :rotfl:
Ill get a ransom for first hand information!

Cod
29th December 2005, 01:17 AM
Oru sooperu MGR kitte seruppadi vangunaarey.

Avarai pathi naan onnum sollalai.

:oops:

Surya
29th December 2005, 01:17 AM
Thank God that Surya is not in India.If he was,these posts deserve a life-imprisonment :rotfl:
Ill get a ransom for first hand information!

I used to say the same things when I lived back in India too machi!

Sigh!! Ippo Namma naatu-le unmaya sonna life imprisonment-a? It wasn't like that 7 years ago! :rotfl:

Surya
29th December 2005, 01:21 AM

Yaare sollureenge? :?

Shakthiprabha.
29th December 2005, 01:22 AM
Consider the strange Love/Hate relationship between JJ and Sasikala

:roll: :huh:

Surya
29th December 2005, 01:24 AM
Shakti Akka, :D
I need words, what r u saying? :huh:

I meant the whole Sasikala and JJ relationship that hurt her image bad.

vetrivendan
29th December 2005, 01:25 AM

Yaare sollureenge? :?Ithink, Cod is talking about Rajini....I dint say this... :huh:

Surya
29th December 2005, 01:26 AM
Rajini? Rajini had nothing to do with MGR! :? :?

What r u getting @ Crab? :?

Shakthiprabha.
29th December 2005, 01:28 AM
oh ok. I was wondering bout the relationship are u refering there?!

let it rest.

Surya
29th December 2005, 01:29 AM
:D

PS: What time is it there? :? It's gotta be at leasat 1:OO AM right?

vetrivendan
29th December 2005, 01:30 AM
Rajini? Rajini had nothing to do with MGR! :? :?

What r u getting @ Crab? :?Surya, there were lots of ppl messed with MGR. Rajini is one among them.......

Cod
29th December 2005, 01:31 AM
Its true. It was the leading tabloid gossip of the late Seventies.

Latha was the friction point between MGR and Rajini. MGR slapped Rajini with chappal when Rajini came to meet Latha in MGR's mansion. It seems Latha had forgotten about a prior dating appointment with Rajini.

Surya
29th December 2005, 01:31 AM
That I agree!

But Crab was exagerrating it! :roll:

Surya
29th December 2005, 01:32 AM

Latha was the friction point between MGR and Rajini. MGR slapped Rajini with chappal when Rajini came to meet Latha in MGR's mansion. It seems Latha had forgotten about a prior dating appointment with Rajini.

MGR is wayy to diplomatic to do somthign like that in Public! That is clearly just a rumor!

Shakthiprabha.
29th December 2005, 01:32 AM

doing some late night work ON photoshop :mumble: :mumble: :extreme-irritation:

vetrivendan
29th December 2005, 01:33 AM

MGR is wayy to diplomatic to do somthign like that in Public! That is clearly just a rumor!I dont know about seruppadi... Rajini had friction with MGR in Latha matter...

Surya
29th December 2005, 01:34 AM
:same-here: :extreame-irritation: :P

Shakthiprabha.
:oops: :lol:

guys!! u are all providing me nice entertainment :grin:

plz keep the flow going.

Surya

MGR is wayy to diplomatic to do somthign like that in Public! That is clearly just a rumor!I dont know about seruppadi... Rajini had friction with MGR in Latha matter...

Friction = Fact.

Serupadi = Vadhandhi... :oops:

Shakthiprabha.
29th December 2005, 01:37 AM
dign.

i never knew surya is into photoshops flash thingys!!

or does the ":same-here:" refers to ":'extreme-irritation" part?

end-dign.