PDA

View Full Version : The Golder Era of Tamil Film Industry and ARR

vimalpercy
10th October 2005, 08:44 PM
arr has revolutionised the tamil film industry with his music and brought a new trend to tamil music.
and coincidently there were lot of great films came on the way during that period along with some great directors.

there were not any period in tamil industry where every film that was a hit in tamil also featured in hindi zone without remake but with voice dubbing. And Songs were also created in hindi same as tamil.

I guess it all started with Roja, Kadhalan, Bombay , Indian , Muthu(famous in japan).

there were some more films but i guess these are the gems to pick up from. The success of the films 50% goes to actor+director+technicians+ others and the reamining 50% goes to Music Director. A unique coincidence to all of these films is that the music director for these films is ARR.

So instead of a ARR or IRR fan, but as a TFM Fan i would like to analyse the periods of Tamil film industry and let me know weather there were any other periods in TFM History as popular as this?

My Vote goes to this period where the TFM was not only talked in india but also around the world and great credit goes to ARR for his music.I like to hear from you guys...

nilavupriyan
11th October 2005, 08:55 AM
ARR had certainly made a trend.But not a change.

When IR came to cine field all are listening to hindi songs and there was no respect tamil songs.He made tamilians to hear tamil songs.infact IR changed tamilians......

and another thing is IR gave lots of good albums in a short period of time.People had a number of good albums in one year.They dint even had 1-2 months gap between good albums.......IR gave good songs in a regular interval which ARR lacked

for example....arr gave only jeans and uyire(that too dubbed) in 1998......only two albums....is this a sign of golden era....whereas i can mention 10-15 good albums of ilayaraja in one year.....

giving 1 or 2 good albums in one year is not a sign of golden era.........giving 10-15 good albums per year is the sign of golden era

dinesh2002
11th October 2005, 04:58 PM
nilavupriyan,im not sure if u knew this,but Vijaytv that time had this best of the century and ARR got the tittle " Best Music Director of the Century"! u just mentioned that IR made TAMIL people respects/listens to TAMIL songs, this is what ARR did!

In fact Ilayaraaja made Tamil people (who were listening Hindi songs) to listen Tamil Songs, where as A.R.Rahman made Hindi people(who were listening Hindi songs) to listen Tamil Songs. Another point worth noting is that while Ilayaraaja brought western music in Indian Instruments, A.R.Rahman pioneered the art of composing Indian classical Carnatic and Hindustani Music and using western Instruments to play those tunes

not my own words,but from : http://www.answers.com/topic/a-r-rahman?method=6

nilavupriyan
11th October 2005, 06:13 PM
nilavupriyan,im not sure if u knew this,but Vijaytv that time had this best of the century and ARR got the tittle " Best Music Director of the Century"! u just mentioned that IR made TAMIL people respects/listens to TAMIL songs, this is what ARR did!

In fact Ilayaraaja made Tamil people (who were listening Hindi songs) to listen Tamil Songs, where as A.R.Rahman made Hindi people(who were listening Hindi songs) to listen Tamil Songs. Another point worth noting is that while Ilayaraaja brought western music in Indian Instruments, A.R.Rahman pioneered the art of composing Indian classical Carnatic and Hindustani Music and using western Instruments to play those tunes

not my own words,but from : http://www.answers.com/topic/a-r-rahman?method=6

infact i forgot to mention that arr made hindi people to listen tamil songs....thats true....but we are talking about golden era of tamil film music.....do u think just 2 albums per year(1998) is a sign of golden era?....in a golden era must peoplemust have a non-stop pleasure of hearing good music.......not just two or 3 in a year

Sanjeevi
11th October 2005, 06:19 PM
nilavupriyan,im not sure if u knew this,but Vijaytv that time had this best of the century and ARR got the tittle " Best Music Director of the Century"!

:lol: overrating ARR against IR is a full length comedy.

Sun TV gave the award best of century to Ilaiyaraja. 8-)

united07
11th October 2005, 06:45 PM
just because u love choc cake...can u keep eating them non-stop!??? tigatitturum pa....

vuttu-vuttu ketta thaan suvaiya irukum!

nilavupriyan
11th October 2005, 06:55 PM
just because u love choc cake...can u keep eating them non-stop!??? tigatitturum pa....

yevlo gap.......6 maashathukku oru thadavaya?

nilavupriyan
11th October 2005, 06:58 PM
nilavupriyan,im not sure if u knew this,but Vijaytv that time had this best of the century and ARR got the tittle " Best Music Director of the Century"!

india today also gave it to ilayaraja

india today's award list

1)kamal haasan-actor

2)ilayaraja-music director

3)maniratnam-director

4)lenin-editor

5)p.c.sriram-photography etc......

u must have seen the program in raj tv.....

MADDY
11th October 2005, 07:13 PM
nilavu, i dunno how can we ever compare ARR and IR's periods....i know u have list of 2million movies and 3 zillion songs composed by IR but that is not "golden period" as u think.....it was like micheal schumacher winning every race like a mad person.......there was IR from no.1 to 10 and some shankar-ganesh and deva at 11 which was very lean period....same goes to ARR period where ARR was blasting away at full force without any competition.....

i really think the period from 2001-present is the golden era of TFM with ARR declining, IR surprising with gud albums like azhagi, YSR,VS and HJ fighting ruthlessly for no.1 spot.....i wud hand it over to VS/YSR/HJ, i dunt think there was any period in TFM where there was so tough competition......i know u guys wud think i'm mad but it is a fact that 2001-2005 has seen the best competition in TFM......

dinesh2002
11th October 2005, 08:50 PM

again,its not mentioned by my,its by Vijay Tv,but dun think IR is best in everything,in somethings,ARR is better IR,u cant deny that!IR is not GOD to be perfect rite? :wink:

Nilavu,its not QUANTITY that matters,but QUALITY,see ARR just released 1 album this year & yet it is in the list of MOST TALKED & MOST POPULAR album of the year! that is ARR! i dun think ARR has released in any year more than 10 albums in TFM b4....(sorry coz i might be wrong,i was 4 y/o when Roja released),if im not mistaken 1999 was his most released albums (around 19 + hindi & dubbs).

speaking bout this...who is IR turn ARR fans here??

dinesh2002
11th October 2005, 08:56 PM
nilavu, i dunno how can we ever compare ARR and IR's periods....i know u have list of 2million movies and 3 zillion songs composed by IR but that is not "golden period" as u think.....it was like micheal schumacher winning every race like a mad person.......there was IR from no.1 to 10 and some shankar-ganesh and deva at 11 which was very lean period....same goes to ARR period where ARR was blasting away at full force without any competition.....

i really think the period from 2001-present is the golden era of TFM with ARR declining, IR surprising with gud albums like azhagi, YSR,VS and HJ fighting ruthlessly for no.1 spot.....i wud hand it over to VS/YSR/HJ, i dunt think there was any period in TFM where there was so tough competition......i know u guys wud think i'm mad but it is a fact that 2001-2005 has seen the best competition in TFM......

no maddy,now days the competition is about popular music,not quality music,this time period of songs wont be remembered in 10 years time,take my words.Except for ARR & IR songs,and few songs from VS,YSR & HJ,others r pure trash and not worth remembering.

ARR had tough competition those days too maddy,i remember Kadhal Kotai,Kadhalukku Mariyathai,Kalki,etc etc songs were very very popular as well.and u cant deny it,90s songs by Deva and various md's were damn damn good & has good tunes!! much much better than now days batch!

Jacky
11th October 2005, 09:57 PM
[tscii:70b145fc34]VS, HJ and Yuvan survive by not trespassing much into others domain of inspiration. Imagine VS and HJ recycling IR's old numbers – it will be bye bye Yuvan or if Yuvan regularly uses Punjabi Rhythms – VS will be in trouble for his fast numbers. This is one of the worst periods for TFM![/tscii:70b145fc34]

vimalpercy
12th October 2005, 12:19 AM
The golden Era can be categorized into following category

1. A period where TFM grow Rapidly where so many films were made and so many good films at that, and so many great songs were released, so many new actors, actress and directors came etc.

So if we Consider these as a golden period then , we can say
Arrival of IR, Barathyraja, Bagyaraj, vairamuthu growth of Rajini, Kamal Sridevi etc.Next Phase is arrival of new MDS of this era and new heros like vijay ajith etc.The 2 phases had 2 different trends where the former is mostly less technical and mostly skill of the people were applied and of late it is mostly the technology speaks rather than human skills ( to some extent for some )

Analysis: If we analyse these 2 phase we say that tamil film industry saw great progress and development but can we say weather it reached to its glory like Holywood where it is recognized by other country or other language speaking people.? If People say ARR has impressed youngsters, then does IR impressed the youngsters of his era with this music ( I mean Hindi audience and others) ????

2. A period where Tfm grown in structure with more new technology skills and popularity not only with local but non-locals.

So if we take this as golden Era, then we should say the era of ARR Shankar Maniratnam where TFM was spoken all over the world.Foreign people were made to dance for Tamil film songs, tamil films were dubbed to Other languages and Tamil songs were heard in other states and countries ( I remember i was in Kashmir attending a NCC camp where Kadhal Roja song played in tamil in military camp and they say they never ever heard any tamil songs before but for that one), I remember in V Channel which is very popular one at that time they showed so many tamil songs especially all of arr.Muthu film run so well in Japan and part of the reason is Rajinikanth and ARR's Music.

I dont know if there is any other way to explain or categorze a golden era but if somebody can plz do.

so from these 2 explanations it is really hard to say which is golden era is, one set argue that arr and others taken TFM to next level where no others could do untill they arrived, other set argue that they formed the foundation for the development of TFM and made it to rise from low and and IR and others constructed the whole building but ARR and others just painted it and shown to the world.

So i guess it will be an interesting discussing point where we can analyse the IRR and ARR factor in a different perspective.
With regards

nilavupriyan
12th October 2005, 09:03 AM

i cant accept 2001-2005 is a golden era.....i would certainly accept 2003 as one of the best years in tamil film industry ever with albums like boys,kadal kondein ,kaaka kaaka coming togethor....but do u think now this year we get the same class????

united07
12th October 2005, 01:31 PM
nilavupriyan,

united07 wrote:

yevlo gap.......6 maashathukku oru thadavaya?

athu ready-a avurathukkae 6 maasam aagathu.....

Sanjeevi
12th October 2005, 03:26 PM
definitely 1980s :D

dinesh2002
12th October 2005, 04:44 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

njv
12th October 2005, 07:06 PM
speaking bout this...who is IR turn ARR fans here??

IR (from the time I remember upto 92) to ARR (92-95) to IR (95 till now and forever).

In my opinion TFM had golden era starting from MSV up-until 95. After 95, its just noice. Once in a blue moon, ARR and IR comes with surprises but otherwise, we are in a stinky shit now.

njv
12th October 2005, 07:09 PM
i cant accept 2001-2005 is a golden era.....i would certainly accept 2003 as one of the best years in tamil film industry ever with albums like boys,kadal kondein ,kaaka kaaka coming togethor....but do u think now this year we get the same class????

Boys - Definite YES.
Kadal Kondein - visit itwofs.com - absolute lifts
Kaaka Kaaka - Definite YES, but we need to see from where he lifted the songs

BTW I saw Robots (cartoon) and the climax song will be copied either by HJ or YSR for sure. Take my word.

I said this before, from MSV to 95 we had golden era. Now the competition is between Srikanth Deva and Dhina, YSR and VS, HJ and his lifts - so I would say from 95 onwards its a "lifting era"

nilavupriyan
12th October 2005, 07:35 PM

Boys - Definite YES.

BTW I saw Robots (cartoon) and the climax song will be copied either by HJ or YSR for sure. Take my word.

I said this before, from MSV to 95 we had golden era. Now the competition is between Srikanth Deva and Dhina, YSR and VS, HJ and his lifts - so I would say from 95 onwards its a "lifting era"

:lol: :lol:

njv
12th October 2005, 07:36 PM

Dinesh

You said when Roja was released (92) you were 4 yr old. So there is no way you can understand the songs of 80s like the way I dont udnerstand the songs of 60s, but they are truly good. I am assuming you are born on 87/88/89, so some of the movies that came in those years

Enga Ooru Paattukkaaran
Jallikkattu
Kaadhal Parisu
Manadhil Orudhi Vendum
Nayagan
Paadu Nilave
Per Sollum Pillai
Poo Vizhi Vaasaliley
Rettai Vaal Kuruvi
Velaikkaaran

Agni Nakshatram
Dharmathin Thalaivan
En Bommakkutti Ammavukku
Enga Ooru Kaavakkaaran
Guru Sisyan
Paasa Paravaigal
Poonthotta Kaavalkkaaran
Satya
Solla Thudikkuthu Manasu
Soora Samhaaram
Unnaal Mudiyum Thambi

Apoorva Sahodarargal
En Purushan Thaan Enakku Mattam Thaan
Karagaattakkaaran
Mappilai
Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal
Raajadhi Raaja
Siva
Varusham Padhinaaru
Vetri Vizha

nilavupriyan
12th October 2005, 07:41 PM

ippo edhukku sirikireenga :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

svaisn
13th October 2005, 09:30 AM

Dinesh

You said when Roja was released (92) you were 4 yr old. So there is no way you can understand the songs of 80s like the way I dont udnerstand the songs of 60s, but they are truly good. I am assuming you are born on 87/88/89, so some of the movies that came in those years

Enga Ooru Paattukkaaran
Jallikkattu
Kaadhal Parisu
Manadhil Orudhi Vendum
Nayagan
Paadu Nilave
Per Sollum Pillai
Poo Vizhi Vaasaliley
Rettai Vaal Kuruvi
Velaikkaaran

Agni Nakshatram
Dharmathin Thalaivan
En Bommakkutti Ammavukku
Enga Ooru Kaavakkaaran
Guru Sisyan
Paasa Paravaigal
Poonthotta Kaavalkkaaran
Satya
Solla Thudikkuthu Manasu
Soora Samhaaram
Unnaal Mudiyum Thambi

Apoorva Sahodarargal
En Purushan Thaan Enakku Mattam Thaan
Karagaattakkaaran
Mappilai
Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal
Raajadhi Raaja
Siva
Varusham Padhinaaru
Vetri Vizha

cool one sir..

This was indeed the best era

njv
13th October 2005, 10:13 AM
since this topic was so much on my head while sleeping, i had a dream of msv-ir-arr combo album. hope it comes true.

united07
13th October 2005, 10:35 AM
i clearly remember....when i was young...
yennaku soru uttambothe, yengamma yennaku "Anthe nilavatheaan naan kaiyile pudichen" pattu padi than uttuvange...

when i was 5 years old..my mum sang "Unnal mudiyum thambi2"
when i was 12, passed my pri school exam my mum sang "das das chinappa das das, pass pass..."
when i was 17 and into love life...my mum warned me with "Sonna padi kaelu, makkar pannathe".....
when i was 20 and still not working yet...but vettifying at home my mum sang "poda poda punnaku"...

now after 25 years my mum sings "yengae sellum inthe paathai " to me!

IR all the way...have defined and redefined my life!

ha ha ha

Sanjeevi
13th October 2005, 10:47 AM

Boys - Definite YES.

First you feel the difference between lifting and inspiration. I rate Kadal kondain more than Boys and Kaaka Kaaka. Devadaiya kanden and thottu thottu songs are my all time favourites.

You easily forget the lifted songs in the period MSV to 95 you mentioned as golder era. Deva, Shankar ganesh, Sirpi, SAR were tops in copying.

Scale
13th October 2005, 11:44 AM

Boys - Definite YES.

First you feel the difference between lifting and inspiration :roll: :banghead:(itwofs, karthik sir unga sitea iluthu moodunga :cry: ) . I rate Kadal kondain more than Boys :lol: :rotfl: and Kaaka Kaaka. Devadaiya kanden and thottu thottu songs are my all time favourites.

You easily forget the lifted songs in the period MSV to 95 you mentioned as golder era. Deva, Shankar ganesh, Sirpi, SAR were tops in copying.

njv & others! Shanthi Shanthi! :)

united07
13th October 2005, 04:06 PM
Shanti yentha period-le music pottange?

Sanjeevi
13th October 2005, 04:49 PM
i clearly remember....when i was young...
yennaku soru uttambothe, yengamma yennaku "Anthe nilavatheaan naan kaiyile pudichen" pattu padi than uttuvange...

when i was 5 years old..my mum sang "Unnal mudiyum thambi2"
when i was 12, passed my pri school exam my mum sang "das das chinappa das das, pass pass..."
when i was 17 and into love life...my mum warned me with "Sonna padi kaelu, makkar pannathe".....
when i was 20 and still not working yet...but vettifying at home my mum sang "poda poda punnaku"...

now after 25 years my mum sings "yengae sellum inthe paathai " to me!

IR all the way...have defined and redefined my life!

ha ha ha

funny post

netru illa nalai illa eppavum than raja

MADDY
13th October 2005, 07:39 PM
sanjeevi,
IR-raja of music..
ARR-maharaja of music...

dinesh2002
13th October 2005, 07:54 PM
yea man...i born in 1988,when i was 4,i knew what was goin on & my 1st tamll song i remember is Chinna Chinna Aasai...thats y i say im 1st hand ARR fan :lol: :wink: , its cool....i seriously dunno how some people can jump from 1 to another,esp this Hj fans,they were under original copy and suddenly jump into xerox machine :P!

njv
13th October 2005, 08:15 PM
I rate Kadal kondain more than Boys and Kaaka Kaaka. Devadaiya kanden and thottu thottu songs are my all time favourites.

devadaiyai kandaen is an absolute 100% lift, not inspiration. visit itwofs and look at YSR section.

Boys - sun
Kakka Kakka - moon (which gets the light and shine from sun!)
Kadal Kondain - torch light

dinesh2002
13th October 2005, 08:18 PM
I rate Kadal kondain more than Boys and Kaaka Kaaka. Devadaiya kanden and thottu thottu songs are my all time favourites.

devadaiyai kandaen is an absolute 100% lift, not inspiration. visit itwofs and look at YSR section.

Boys - sun

man njv, i salute u, i love the way u put it!! 8-)

nilavupriyan
13th October 2005, 08:28 PM

Boys - sun

devadayay kanden is not in that list itself....better u go and check :lol:

nilavupriyan
13th October 2005, 08:29 PM

Boys - sun

man njv, i salute u, i love the way u put it!! 8-)

he put it wrongly ....thats the problem...

:lol:

Sanjeevi
15th October 2005, 01:16 PM

Boys - sun

kanavu kinavu kandeengala. athula engae devadaiyai kandean song irukuthu :roll:

http://www.itwofs.com/tamil-yuvan.html

Alien
15th October 2005, 04:00 PM

Boys - sun
:lol: That was nice njv, but this was once instance where i felt that all 3 films' music were equally top notch :P

njv
15th October 2005, 06:37 PM

Boys - sun
:lol: That was nice njv, but this was once instance where i felt that all 3 films' music were equally top notch :P

Yes 100% agree, but Kadal Kondane is 100% life (not inspired)

Alien
16th October 2005, 08:56 AM
Yes 100% agree, but Kadal Kondane is 100% lift (not inspired)
Is it? Hmmm ..... I see.

But actually after watching all 3 films , I ranked Kaaka Kaaka 1st, Kadhal kondain 2nd & Boys 3rd (Both Music & film wise) ......

MADDY
16th October 2005, 03:23 PM
But actually after watching all 3 films , I ranked Kaaka Kaaka 1st, Kadhal kondain 2nd & Boys 3rd (Both Music & film wise) ......

and u call urself a HC-ARR fan? :lol: :lol: Boys had a record-shattering sales which created so much hype for the movie and its just ARR's bad luck that movie turned out to be impossibly horrible that it was pushed behind kadhal kondein and kaaka kaaka.....Kaaka Kaaka and kadhal kondein are no way near to Boys in terms of music......

njv
16th October 2005, 05:57 PM

Kakka Kakka is certainly the best among the 3 followed by KK and Boys - no doubt. We are talking about music here. I am a HC fan of IR and the best album that like from ARR is WOHE and KM, but still I put Boys on top for the "commercial" reasons and the freshness in the song. Boys songs will be fresh for another atleast 100 years. I cant imagine ANY indian composers scoring songs like this for next 100 years.

For e.g .Kakha Kakka can be easily overtaken by Lesa Lesa or Ullam Ketkumae, but I cant even imagine even another ARR song overtaking Boys. I doubt if even ARR can do it.

dinesh2002
16th October 2005, 06:10 PM
[quote=vasanth_luv]
but I cant even imagine even another ARR song overtaking Boys. I doubt if even ARR can do it.

u just typed something which i was suppose to message here! i tottally,100% agree to the comment above!!

Scale
17th October 2005, 02:24 PM
Am I so biased to pick Boys songs among the three :shock: :roll:. Certainly not! Not at all :x

njv! U stole my words and that was the impact it made on hearing original CD :thumbsup:. It was recorded in some latest (6.x) digital technology, Ist time in India (shall check archives).

Didnt you all notice, vasanth's opinion is based on watching all the three films. :). He is entitled to his opinions and we need to greet him.

(I too have watched all the 3 movies and none of the movie impressed me particularly GM's KK for what its been celebrated everywhere. Another 1 is Jothika's performance in CM :banghead:).

SR/YSR's KK is in my garbage (U all know the reason) :wink:.

Sanjeevi
17th October 2005, 03:29 PM
Yes 100% agree, but Kadal Kondane is 100% life (not inspired)

kanavu kinavu kandeengala. athula engae devadaiyai kandean song irukuthu

http://www.itwofs.com/tamil-yuvan.html

-------------------

Hi njv, first tell the answer to me. If not, you are 70+% lier.

-----------------------

I pity heavily to all who blames Kadhal kondein.

united07
17th October 2005, 04:18 PM
Aiyoo,

lifted songs/tunes from other in Kathal Kondain

1) Manasu Rendum Parke = copied from Anggun's Sahara
2) Kathal Mattum Purivathillai = copied from Hedningarna's Raven
3) KK theme = Johny theme music towards the final.

Pothumma....

nilavupriyan
17th October 2005, 06:27 PM

and u call urself a HC-ARR fan? :lol: :lol: Boys had a record-shattering sales which created so much hype for the movie and its just ARR's bad luck that movie turned out to be impossibly horrible that it was pushed behind kadhal kondein and kaaka kaaka.....Kaaka Kaaka and kadhal kondein are no way near to Boys in terms of music......

kaadhal kondein songs fitted the film very well....those songs had life.

"thotu thotu" is the best of that season...

united07
17th October 2005, 06:48 PM
It's really tough to say which movie or movie songs did very well!

It's not like playing football, to compare the goals.
No one has the sales figure for sure. Then how would you rate which is best?

Music,
Boys, KK and Kaathal Kondaein all were hits and rage among the ublic.

Movie,
Kathal Kondaein and Kaakha Kaakha really outclassed Boys.

That's all i could say. We can't order these great movies (bar BOYS) or the music. It isn't fair.

Alien
18th October 2005, 07:33 AM
Didnt you all notice, vasanth's opinion is based on watching all the three films. :). He is entitled to his opinions and we need to greet him.

Thanks a lot Scale :notworthy: .....I was about to reply here, but think no need, anyway
Maddy ! It was those movies that managed to change my view ! Kaaka Kaaka movie was mindblowing & the music synchronized with the film in an awesome way that enabled me to love KK more!
Being an HC ARR fan doesn't suggest, that i shouldn't admit to, what I really loved and the good things abt others !

njv ! I cent percent agree with u on Boys and Kaaka Kaaka music 8-)

SR/YSR's KK is in my garbage (U all know the reason) :wink:
:rotfl: 8-)

Sanjeevi
18th October 2005, 10:29 PM
SR/YSR's KK is in my garbage (U all know the reason) :wink:

:rotfl:

Unga veedu avvavluvu periya kubbai thottiya? :lol:

Scale
18th October 2005, 11:48 PM
yeah romba perusu. MS Recycle bin capacity evvalavunu theriyuma ungalukku. athukkum romba kammiya thaan vela koduppen.

rendavadhu naan eppana kuppa thotti la podanumnu nenaicha "Shift" press pannikittu thaan "kuppaiyai" poduven.

Thedinalum kidaikkathu :evil: :twisted:.

Sanjeev'O'. Stop following me in every post. There is no necessity for you to drag my home here :twisted:

Sanjeevi
19th October 2005, 02:07 PM
Nice scale, we r friends

BTW, do you know the softwares such as drive rescue, etc which are very helpful to rescue the shift+deleted files and even from formatted disk.