PDA

View Full Version : IR concerts, TV shows and Interviews ...

Pages : [1] 2

Sanjeevi
1st October 2005, 06:02 PM
Great news to us. Finally IR comes to meet us via Jeya TV and with a stage programme in Chennai at 16th Oct, 2005. Read the news :D

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2005/oct/011005.asp (With superb picture)

http://thatstamil.indiainfo.com/specials/cinema/news/illayaraja4.html

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=213455&disdate=10/1/2005

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=213416&disdate=10/1/2005 (Stage Programme)

English

http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/01102005-3.shtml

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/17118.html :D

krish244
1st October 2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks Sanjeevi! Its indeed a great news. My only wish is that he use more of natural instruments in the concert with a good audio (speakers) arrangements. Hope it will be a grand success.

thanks,

krishnan

krihoo
2nd October 2005, 05:05 PM
though i am biggg fan of IR , these things i dont beleive him...for sure he got some hidden reason....he always make futile attempts in manipulating people

interz
3rd October 2005, 12:40 AM
whos next from raja family to be relegated from kollywood to television channels??

Shankar
3rd October 2005, 10:52 AM
may be someone who played for "spirit of Unity concerts" in DD can predict the pattern.

Cinefan
3rd October 2005, 10:53 AM
http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/01102005-3.shtml

Interz,
It's a live prog whose telecast rights are with Jaya TV.Most MD's(including VS)do it.IR has joined the bandwagon a little late,that's all.

alwarpet_andavan
3rd October 2005, 12:06 PM
The venue is Nehru indoor stadium alright, but anyone has any idea about when/where the ticket sales are commencing? Please respond in a war footing, for time is of paramount importance here.....

Cinefan
3rd October 2005, 04:11 PM
AA,
This might interest you-Doesn't talk of ticket availability but you can actually SMS 5 songs which you want to be sung in the concert.

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2005/oct/011005.asp

BTW,Are you attending ARR's concert in Bangalore on Saturday(8th)?

MADDY
3rd October 2005, 04:29 PM
may be someone who played for "spirit of Unity concerts" in DD can predict the pattern.

totally irrelevant statement in the current situation...... :lol:

well it is the same shankar who vehemently refused when i said jayatv promotes IR to the core but wat now sir????Tamil media is spineless and always supports IR & his sons and they never dare to speak anything against him even if he is found wrong.......

sureshmehcnit
3rd October 2005, 04:47 PM
can anyone plz tell where to buy the tickets?

alwarpet_andavan
3rd October 2005, 05:01 PM
AA,
This might interest you-Doesn't talk of ticket availability but you can actually SMS 5 songs which you want to be sung in the concert.

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2005/oct/011005.asp

Thanks

Don't know yet. That one looks to be a great show, 3D effects and all...How abt u? got the tickets?

Cinefan
3rd October 2005, 05:18 PM
Don't know yet. That one looks to be a great show, 3D effects and all...How abt u? got the tickets?

Nah,not in town. :(
I believe,tickets are at a premium.

Shankar
3rd October 2005, 06:47 PM

totally irrelevant statement in the current situation...... :lol:

well it is the same shankar who vehemently refused when i said jayatv promotes IR to the core but wat now sir????Tamil media is spineless and always supports IR & his sons and they never dare to speak anything against him even if he is found wrong.......

Yeah...its very much the same shankar, but what have you got now to give to substantiate your claims ??? (am I reminded of ganguly and his latest century ?? ;-) )

Oh...If some TV telecasts Raja's concert they are spineless, are they ?? What did he do wrong for them "not to speak about them "

...and the stmts aren't so irrelevant...who's giving concert in b'lore and who's gonna enjoy all the collections ???

Shankar
3rd October 2005, 07:01 PM
Maddy,
The same media kept quiet when ARR walked out of the Birmingham symphony orchestra in shame after his futile attempt to conduct a 75 piece orchestra. TOI had an article about it, and that too only on the online version (and they showered praises on him for his humility in accepting that he was a failure !!)...and we are talking about Media neglecting arr and supporting Raja.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/552514.cms

MADDY
3rd October 2005, 09:08 PM
the build up that is given for Ir's programme on jaya tv is evident and the same idiots call A Ah songs as bad, wat else can u make of it???and hello TOI is from Mumbai and make no mistake abt my statement -->ARR is their blue eyed boy, i have seen articles in Bombay times abt his haircut and stuff....they really love him here......its just tamil media who are so intent on licking IR's feet......

i cannot see any reason for ARR to walk away with shame at birmingham when he himself vowed to give something better, instead of cheating ppl. that he created something marvellous and not releasing the audio for next 10 yrs.......

NormalMan
4th October 2005, 12:50 AM
they really love him here......its just tamil media who are so intent on licking IR's feet.............

So by the same analogy, mumbai guys lick ARR's back?? :!:

sureshmehcnit
4th October 2005, 09:29 AM
I Have got tickets for the IR Live in Concert

http://ursmusically.blogspot.com/2005/10/maestro-illayaraja-live-in-concert.html

krihoo
4th October 2005, 11:19 AM
Shiiiiiiit man

shankar...that link u posted is very embarassing....

first of all AR is not of that TYPE of music.....these orchestration things is not his cup of tea....still always he just wants to prove whatever IR ,did he too can ...

earlier he used to keep K Viswanath movie as goal to prove that he can do whatever IR already did....but now he lost interest in that goal since he acheived much more....so he set his eyes on symphony....
IF HE IS REALLY PASSIONATE HE SHUD DO...BUTNOT JUST TO PROVE
and withouth mastering such type of work and without doing proper home work , he made a mess of their impression and really spoiled our name...if like this continues then one day these orchestras will keep a policy and will declare NO MORE PERFORMANCES FOR DARK COMPOSERS ..that s all ........then no chance for IR too......Those are all royal and high level orchestras....cannot take them for granted or make any mess....

"Music wont reach heights buy reaching all over the world ....It reaches heights by going deep"

AR is just a hit song generator....his music can never be superior to IR music which is as pure as nature...

thumburu
4th October 2005, 12:44 PM
"same idiots call A Ah songs as bad, wat else can u make of it???"

- A Ah songs are as bad as the movie and if that makes me an "arivili", so be it

Shankar
4th October 2005, 02:44 PM
>>>>>>>>
cannot see any reason for ARR to walk away with shame at birmingham when he himself vowed to give something better, instead of cheating ppl. that he created something marvellous and not releasing the audio for next 10 yrs.......
<<<<<<<<<

How did that birmingham fiasco fare anyway ??? Was it released as an album (no business case ) ??? People/media kept a dignified silence about it to avoid embarrassing their "darling"....

The select few (John Scott who conducted the symphony of Raja, for one) who have listened to Raja's work fo RPO has said it has come out well and I believe them...I'm sure he wudn't have ended up messing up things, and "vow" to come back in style :-)

Sanjeevi
4th October 2005, 03:38 PM
I Have got tickets for the IR Live in Concert

http://ursmusically.blogspot.com/2005/10/maestro-illayaraja-live-in-concert.html

Nice suresh, the ticket cost? :roll:

MADDY
4th October 2005, 08:46 PM
"The select few (John Scott who conducted the symphony of Raja, for one) who have listened to Raja's work fo RPO has said it has come out well and I believe them..."

who cares whom we believe or not......i have never seen/heard of the meastros performance at RPO.....not even a single audio link/video footage/streaming file on the web and u make fun of a man who has graciously accepted his mistake in front of the entire media.....and FYI that article abt birmingham faisco came in print edition in TOI in Mumbai......

the qualm that i have is not abt ppl. praising IR but it is the same ppl. put ARR down for their craze over IR which is really unwarranted for.....u'll never find that with ARR group- ex:SJS,shankar,MR have huge respect for IR whereas IR camp-thankar,kasthuri raja, kamal hassan & media always spit venom on ARR......

alias
4th October 2005, 11:09 PM
Krihoo, it is not ARR who is following IR but it is IR who is following ARR. Look at what he is doing now. All these years, he was not doing any concerts. All of sudden since his bank balance is deppreciating, he found a new way of making money. But he could be nowhere closer to the success what ARR acheieved for his concerts. As far as Symphony is concernedd, I am sure he will come out with a great symphony which you and your IR cannot even dream about.

Cacaphonix
5th October 2005, 08:11 AM
it is IR who is following ARR...All of sudden since his bank balance is deppreciating, he found a new way of making money.

alias i didn't know that you have so much grudge against ARR.

krihoo
5th October 2005, 08:41 AM
Krihoo, it is not ARR who is following IR but it is IR who is following ARR. Look at what he is doing now. All these years, he was not doing any concerts. All of sudden since his bank balance is deppreciating, he found a new way of making money. But he could be nowhere closer to the success what ARR acheieved for his concerts. As far as Symphony is concernedd, I am sure he will come out with a great symphony which you and your IR cannot even dream about.

ofcourse i agree to what u said...both are internally feeling lot of competition...AR wants to prove he too can do symphony and IR want to prove himself successful....especially his concerts things is all manipulation,,,,anyway never he can be even 25% success as AR...and never AR can be 25 % of IRs orchestration.....ha hahaa

But one thing is for sure i can say...IR is struggling a lot to manipulate to keep his prestige...i doubt this concert also is for more publicity to TIS since it ran to losses recently....

maybe this concert is bandage to the injury ha haaa

Shankar
5th October 2005, 10:01 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>
u'll never find that with ARR group- ex:SJS,shankar,MR have huge respect for IR whereas IR camp-thankar,kasthuri raja, kamal hassan & media always spit venom on ARR......
<<<<<<<<<<<

Only a bunch of insecure people like you will come up with some raja camp and arr camp...The directors themselves don't take any sides. What has arr and Raja got to do with what ppl like MR/thankar think ??

...and any person, who has some taste in music, who has some rational mind wud praise Raja purely on merit. MR (not as a director, as a person) is great in that respect. He had a spat with Raja (it was GV who was involved in the spat). Inspite of that he never fails to praise Raja on any given occasion.

This has nothing to do with arr-camp and Raja-camp. These camps are for petty minded ppl.

Shankar
5th October 2005, 10:05 AM
alias,
Raja has given concerts when arr was in nappies...where were you then ?? If you aren't sure about ur facts, its better to keep ur mouth shut !

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I am sure he will come out with a great symphony which you and your IR cannot even dream about.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

yes...not in our wildest dreams to do we see Raja swinging the baton and blinking...swing..and blink again...and takes a bow and walking away, head hung in shame and the british media ripping him apart...No...we don't dream about it.

Shankar
5th October 2005, 10:07 AM
Cacaphonix,
Good one :lol:

krihoo
5th October 2005, 01:32 PM
alias,
Raja has given concert when arr was in nappies...where were you then ?? If you aren't sure about ur facts, its better to keep urs shut !..not in our wildest dreams to do we see Raja swinging the baton and blinking...swing..and blink again...and takes a bow and walking away, head hung in shame and the british media ripping him apart...No...we don't dream about it.

:lol: :oops: :lol: CANNOT STOP LAUGHING....SHANKAR U REALLY ARE FIRING WITH AK47 :lol: :oops: :lol:

krihoo
5th October 2005, 01:38 PM
As far as Symphony is concernedd, I am sure he will come out with a great symphony which you and your IR cannot even dream about.

Yeah alias , u r correct.....he might come with a mind blowing symphony ...BUT only with computer ...not with orchestration....
:lol:

tmrrmt
5th October 2005, 03:57 PM
Hi all - in 1988, the Blue Cross Hospital group (based in Adyar, or, Nadanam, Chennai, I am not sure)approached IR for a concert to raise/create awareness about animal rights - FYI, Blue Cross is presently being run by Mr.Chinny Krishna, and was started by Captain C.V.Sundaram, his close relative, to take care of animals

IR agreed without hesitation and the concert was a grand success with the entire proceeds going to Blue Cross! and IR didn't take a pie from that concert - I know this personally because, I know Mr.Chinny Krishna (Propreitor, ASPICK Engg. Pvt Ltd., Guindy, Chennai) personally

But then, since IR has always been media-shy and the media has always been scared of IR(!), such gestures of IR never get the publicity.

(PS: Captain Sundaram, who started Blue Cross is closely related to a genius from Tamil Nadu! find out ! the clue lies in Captain Sundaram's initials!)

alwarpet_andavan
5th October 2005, 03:59 PM
C.V Raman-a???

tmrrmt
5th October 2005, 04:05 PM
alwarpet_andavan - full 10 marks for you !

now you can all see how a Nobel Laureate in Physics is somehow linked to another genius, Raja --)))

tmrrmt
5th October 2005, 04:28 PM
Alwarpet sir,

What happened to Kamal-Ramesh Arvind combo Kannada movie ?
IR symphony maadhiri aagividum polirukkey ?!

alwarpet_andavan
5th October 2005, 04:33 PM
tmrrmt,
According to Cinefan, there was an ad in one of the Bangalore dailies but it didn't have any release date.

Cinefan
5th October 2005, 04:43 PM
For the last 3 weeks,kannada dailies(On Friday's)have been carrying quarter page ad's for the movie without a release date&list of theatres :( .

I read somewhere that shooting of songs is still on&parallely post production work is going on.

Audio is yet to be released.

Looks like a Diwali release.

MADDY
5th October 2005, 06:56 PM
Only a bunch of insecure people like you will come up with some raja camp and arr camp...The directors themselves don't take any sides. What has arr and Raja got to do with what ppl like MR/thankar think ??

again a personal attack on me......u call me insecure??? i dunno y raja fans dunt have even a centimeter of patience in listening to a different viewpoint.......they call the person with a different perspective - Ignorant, insecure, person with low level of analysis, cowards etc etc.......

shankar watever u mite argue, ghoshti system in TN is very prelevant and TFM is no different......i have seen T.siva calling ARR just a puyal which will blow over in 2 days for his fanatism towards IR......i dunt account it to IR but i feel it is created by IR-fans who think they know abt music a lot......

alias
5th October 2005, 08:12 PM
Shankar, yes Raja would have given concerts with his harmonium and drums even before he arrived in TFM. I heard he was sitting next to Shanti Theatre and performing concerts :lol: If thats what u r talking about concerts, yes then I have not been to it. :rotfl:

krihoo,Yes he will use with computers but alas IR does not know to spell the word computer. what to do? :lol:

5th October 2005, 08:12 PM
Maddy, dont argue too much. With an avatar like that finally you will wonder "Kis mooh se mafi mangoon?" :D

nilavupriyan
5th October 2005, 09:07 PM
Shankar, yes Raja would have given concerts with his harmonium and drums even before he arrived in TFM. I heard he was sitting next to Shanti Theatre and performing concerts :lol: If thats what u r talking about concerts, yes then I have not been to it. :rotfl:

krihoo,Yes he will use with computers but alas IR does not know to spell the word computer. what to do? :lol:

glad for the appreciating raja....

according to u raja is good at harmonium and arr is good at computer...

so better arr can go and start a software company whereas raja can continue his musical works :lol: :lol:

MADDY
5th October 2005, 09:28 PM
Maddy, dont argue too much. With an avatar like that finally you will wonder "Kis mooh se mafi mangoon?" :D

lekin, pehle aap apna naam toh bataiye phir aapki advice ke bare mein sochte hain.....

alias
5th October 2005, 09:36 PM
Nilavupriyan which musical works? Concerts near Shanti Theatre :lol:

alias
5th October 2005, 09:36 PM

nilavupriyan
5th October 2005, 09:51 PM

concerts near shanthi theartre is also music.....when arr is gonna start a software company...... :lol: :lol: ....

by the way ....,are u not aware of ir's hardwork of promoting himself from concerts near shanthi theatre to philharmonic studios?

how could u be aware?...u love software rather than music.. :lol: :lol:

alias
5th October 2005, 10:23 PM
ARR has couple of acres near Chennai and he can start a company which will defintely be better than a concert near Shanti Theatre. And as far as IR reach to philhormanic Studios from platform near Shanti Theatre, it shows his hard work and people at that time (except one who gave him chance) did not understand his talent but for ARR, even before he got his chance in TFM, he was already giving music to ad and he was well placed then IR who was near Shanti Theatre platform performing for his daily earning. so you can draw a picture of what would happen if IR run of movies :lol:

tmrrmt
6th October 2005, 09:48 AM
Hi everyone - some good news!

'mfiles', a popular website for music lovers, which is frequented by connoisseurs as well as composers, music agents from around the world, has now included IR in its list of great composers, ranking him alongwith John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith etc!

http://www.mfiles.co.uk/film-composers.htm

www.mfiles.co.uk/composers/Ilaiyaraaja.htm

thanks

Shankar
6th October 2005, 10:40 AM

Alias,
I didn't realize you were a hypocrite....You were the one who "for once agreed with me" in supporting the poor victims of katrina, and other atrocities done to the poor....I now know you are a nauseating imposter !

If a poor guy performs on road, adhu ungaLukku kEvalamA ?? I am proud of the fact that Raja's story is of Rags-to-riches fairytale !!

I am proud that a man whose next meal depended on his (and his brothers') performance on the street has gone on to become THE greatest composer from India whom almost all MDs in the coutry admire.

If you are from a very affluent background thank your parents/ancestors for that, and be happy that you don't have to face those hardship....But don't ever try to deride those who've come up the hard way.
Learn these aspects from ur guru arr before appreciating his music.

Shankar
6th October 2005, 10:49 AM

again a personal attack on me......u call me insecure??? i dunno y raja fans dunt have even a centimeter of patience in listening to a different viewpoint.......they call the person with a different perspective - Ignorant, insecure, person with low level of analysis, cowards etc etc.......

shankar watever u mite argue, ghoshti system in TN is very prelevant and TFM is no different......i have seen T.siva calling ARR just a puyal which will blow over in 2 days for his fanatism towards IR......i dunt account it to IR but i feel it is created by IR-fans who think they know abt music a lot......

Maddy, if it were just a different viewpoint, i wouldn't've taken your name...But you , as always, generalize with stmts like
"you-raja-fans"...that's what puts me off !!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Ignorant, insecure, person with low level of analysis, cowards etc etc.......
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I just called you insecure, you seem to suggest more than what i thot you were ;-) well, I didn't mean any of those things when i posted it except of course your being insecure. I still don't think you are a coward, definitely, not when you go ballistic during our arguments :-)

Ghoshti system is there thro'out india (farah khan shamelessly crediting srk for everything, for one...and people like nagathahaLLi chandrasekhar claiming AB is the USP of his latest kannada movie - AB, btw has a 2 minute insignificant role in the movie).

Can you blame AB for that ? Who the heck is T Siva ? I don't bother listening to such low lives !! Why do you blame Raja or his fans in general for stmts made by such ppl ?? Do you expect Raja to go and ask ppl to stop talking like this ??

alias
6th October 2005, 02:57 PM
Shankar, I never joked about IR poor background. All I am saying what wud happen if they go back to their past. Thats all. I am proud that IR has reached this level. This was just an illusion we are talking if ARR open a software company and IR deos his old concerts.

nilavupriyan
6th October 2005, 05:40 PM
ARR has couple of acres near Chennai and he can start a company which will defintely be better than a concert near Shanti Theatre. And as far as IR reach to philhormanic Studios from platform near Shanti Theatre, it shows his hard work and people at that time (except one who gave him chance) did not understand his talent but for ARR, even before he got his chance in TFM, he was already giving music to ad and he was well placed then IR who was near Shanti Theatre platform performing for his daily earning. so you can draw a picture of what would happen if IR run of movies :lol:

u mock at all poor musicians with great talent by mocking at ir....its hard to argue with a hypocrite.....

ir was born poor...he cant do anything about it...but he reached the top from there...u dont have the sense of appreciating it.....

Shankar
6th October 2005, 05:57 PM
alias,
You did say such a thing. You never mentioned that it was hypothetical...You can't undo whatever you've said, All i am asking you is NOT to do it AGAIN.

Arguments between us can go to any level, and they don't affect you (and me) as a person...But I feel its my responsibility to correct the misplaced convictions/beliefs of a fellow DFer (which would surely affect you as a person), and hence that post.

mr_karthik
7th October 2005, 01:58 PM
I cant accept that IR did not conduct any concerts before.

I saw several video cassettes, where IR and Ganagai Amaran participating in concerts in Chennai (I thnink Music Academy Hall), Madurai, Kottayam and other cities.

I still remember the concert at Kottayam (Kerala), in which IR sang 'Then pAndi cheemaiyilE'

SPB sang 'Konji konji alaigal oda', 'mAdathilE kanni mAdathilE'

several main singers also sang in that.

Sanjeevi
7th October 2005, 06:03 PM
What is program schedule in 16th live concert.

I saw an advertisement board for this programme, it is nice :D

alias
7th October 2005, 06:12 PM
Shankar, when you said IR performed concerts when ARR was in nappies, I assume during that time IR was a struggling artist who was performing mini concerts near Shanti Theatre to display to his versitile talents. So I dont know why u compare Katrina hurricane victims with IR preMD condition.

And I never said it is kevallam. Lot of struggling artist perform in the streets of New York and next year u see them performing on Madison Square garden. And this issue was raised when you said IR performed during ARR nappies period. Thats all. And i never called him begging on the streets. It was only to display his multi talents that he was performing. Thats all. So there is no hyprocrisy here.

Sanjeevi
8th October 2005, 01:26 PM
:wink:

karthik_sa2
10th October 2005, 02:11 PM
yes great news for music lovers.and it is said that ir is performing a three note wonder<entire song composed with kust three notes> on that day<16th>which was already performed by him in his Italy live show.so dont miss it.

Cinefan
10th October 2005, 04:28 PM
There is a preview of this program on Jaya TV on the 12th at 11am.

TISK
10th October 2005, 07:38 PM
IIR first played this 3-note-song in Italy last year and was a huge hit!

Sanjeevi
11th October 2005, 04:58 PM
I got a ticket for me. :D Concert will start 6.05 pm at Nehru Indoor stadium.

I wonder about ticket sales. :roll: :? If the stadium will not have full of heads, it will be a sad one. :(

Many people nearby me had not known about this concert. :shock:
Dear IR fans support this programme coz the time is very short.

alwarpet_andavan
11th October 2005, 05:39 PM
Got my ticket .... It says the following will be performing..
SPB, Hariharan, Jeyachandran, Madhu Balakrishnan, Vijay Yesudas, Tippu, Karthik, Swarnalatha, Shreya Ghoshal, Bhavatharini.....

Sanjeevi
11th October 2005, 06:22 PM
Got my ticket .... It says the following will be performing..
SPB, Hariharan, Jeyachandran, Madhu Balakrishnan, Vijay Yesudas, Tippu, Karthik, Swarnalatha, Shreya Ghoshal, Bhavatharini.....

Nice to see SPB again with IR. What about KJJ?

njv
11th October 2005, 10:01 PM
KJJ is in US. I dont think he will do stage show anymore.

SPB is always with IR. Even in recent Bharadwaj show, his IR song got him more applause than the entire show.

karthik_sa2
12th October 2005, 10:53 PM
got my ticket .... It says the following will be performing..

hi alwarpet andava

i also bought the ticket<250Rs> and its nowhere written as spb singing in this concert.r u sure about this?well if its true it will be delightful to see spb and IR combo back again.
where is chitra and janaki?r they not coming?

alwarpet_andavan
13th October 2005, 05:10 PM
hi alwarpet andava
i also bought the ticket<250Rs> and its nowhere written as spb singing in this concert.r u sure about this?well if its true it will be delightful to see spb and IR combo back again.
where is chitra and janaki?r they not coming?
hi karthik,
Its written in the 2,500 denomination. I forgot to mention Sadhana Sargam, whose name was also in the list.......

karthik_sa2
13th October 2005, 10:54 PM
hi karthik,
Its written in the 2,500 denomination. I forgot to mention Sadhana Sargam, whose name was also in the list.

oh appadiya.

i thought only three ticket fares were there<250,500 and 1000>2500 ticket'na seating arrangement engae varum?

i am very eagerly waiting for that day to come.really very excited.
BTW,u missed out chitra also in that list.i saw her in the list in an ad given in hindu paper.

alwarpet_andavan
14th October 2005, 02:01 PM
i thought only three ticket fares were there<250,500 and 1000>2500 ticket'na seating arrangement engae varum?

The 2,500 and 5,000 ticket seats will be close to the stage.

BTW,u missed out chitra also in that list.i saw her in the list in an ad given in hindu paper.
Oh, it'll be great if she comes.......

Sanjeevi
16th October 2005, 01:26 PM
Today is the live concert :)

rajasaranam
16th October 2005, 02:02 PM
Iam excited as the time runs down for the show....
Me and my friends gonna have the greatest time in our lives witnessing this live concert....
Engal idhaya theivam Rajavukku vazhthukkal 4 hours more Raja we are yours :oops:

njv
16th October 2005, 05:54 PM
Guys please post something as soon as you come back from the show. I wish I am in Chennai.

jagannn
17th October 2005, 09:52 AM
I attended the show yesterday and the auditorium was fully packed.

It was very nice to see the orchestra performing some great numbers of IR viz., Manvaasanai, Jhonny, Dalapathy.

I still feel that the song selection could have been much better. To me it appeared that the rehearsal was not sufficient since there was lack of co-ordination particularly the strings section.

The mikes for the strings section sucked and could settle only after 10-15 songs.

Overall the programme was good and i feel IR should do such concerts giving more importance to the songs in late 70's and the period 80-90's.

I could see a shiver in IR's voice when he came down to first sing Janani and he really enjoyed the crowd.

Sudalai
17th October 2005, 10:41 AM
Amudham eppadi irukkum-nu theriyaadhu...
but ippadi thaan irukkumo-nnu oru feeling..!
Yet to recover from that feeling...
no one can bring justice by describing the show..
One should have been there to experience it himself/herself...

75% of the crowd were there till the end.. (11.45 p.m if i'm right) the ppl left were either coz fearing a commutation problem or that it was monday the next day...

really lucky to have got a chance to see the team perform..

Cinefan
17th October 2005, 11:25 AM
I was under the impression that it will be telecasted live on Jaya TV.That never happened.Wonder why :?

More reports on the show plz-AA,rajasaranam.

raja_fan
17th October 2005, 11:25 AM
Did Jaya TV telecast this programme live..? Because I switched on the TV at around 9 P.M and only saw Mahabharath running..?

So did it last till 11.45.P.M..?

raja_fan
17th October 2005, 11:27 AM
Ok then..they might be telecasting this on Diwali day..

Cinefan
17th October 2005, 11:52 AM
http://www.hindu.com/2005/10/17/stories/2005101713870500.htm

Looks like Kamal&BR were also present at the show.

Cinefan
17th October 2005, 12:30 PM
More on the show:

http://thatstamil.indiainfo.com/specials/cinema/news/illaiyaraja4.html

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=13964896

Sanjeevi
17th October 2005, 02:42 PM
God,

Ilaiyarava neril parthuvitten and bonusa innoru thalaivar Kamal-aiyum parthachu. :D

Vangina ticketai tholaichu :banghead: black la ticket vangi oru vazhiya concert muzhuthum parthachu. :D

Later i will give the review.

krish244
17th October 2005, 02:58 PM
photos at IndiaGlitz!

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/8223.html

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
17th October 2005, 02:59 PM
but just three photos :(

thanks,

Krishnan

alwarpet_andavan
17th October 2005, 03:32 PM
I was under the impression that it will be telecasted live on Jaya TV.That never happened.Wonder why :?

More reports on the show plz-AA,rajasaranam.
Jaya TV will air the program soon for sure....

Still haven't uploaded the snaps due to some logistical hitches...
Will post my comments and snaps soon.....

BTW,
Paramakudi Parandhamanai Parthu Pullarithu(p) Ponen!

thumburu
17th October 2005, 03:51 PM
adhu sari. Pannaipurathai kettu enna aaneer?

alwarpet_andavan
17th October 2005, 03:55 PM
adhu sari. Pannaipurathai kettu enna aaneer?
:lol:

Pannaiyapurathaar Paadalgalai Poosithu Pithanai Ponen!

alwarpet_andavan
17th October 2005, 08:23 PM
Photos: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/karthik_pf/album?.dir=5630

Comments: http://soonapaana.blogspot.com/2005/10/andrum-indrum-endrum.html

Renault
17th October 2005, 08:39 PM
Highlights of the event are presented in my blogpage:

http://kreations.blogspot.com/

May not be in great detail as Alwarpet_Andavans. but wtch out for something interesting in there.

app_engine
17th October 2005, 09:19 PM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=216448&disdate=10/17/2005

news coverage...

thops
17th October 2005, 09:44 PM
how was the interaction between balu and raaja...

vijayr
17th October 2005, 09:55 PM
alwarpet, thanks for the recap. I only saw the rehearsal on Jaya but might have to see the programme in the recorded section hopefully soon in numtv/ They did show the rehearsal though and in that IR was taxing the violin guys for "adi aathaadi" interlude and another which I didnt recognize until the end. It was the 3-in-1 where he had added a chorus seaction and was making the femal chorus repeat it to his satisfaction. It sounded promising.

njv
17th October 2005, 11:16 PM
I saw a pic where bala and raaga huged each other (raaja somehow managed!) and followed by that another pic where SPB gave kiss to Raja's forehead. i dont know if they have any issue. if so, spb wouldnt have come for the show to begin with.

karthik_sa2
18th October 2005, 12:10 AM
i had an initial concern on the crowd turning up for this concert.but it was great to see the nehru indoor stadium packed to full house yesterday for mottai's andrum indrum endrum concert .truly an electrifying atmosphere.the show right from the start till the end had the audience in splits.IR's opening janani song ennala en kannira adaka mudiayala.it was like a dream come true seeing IR performing live.spb was at his best yesterday esspecailly sundari song.ayyo enna violin work'pa andha song'la.athum live'a avanga vasikradha kaekum podhu bramaandamaa irrundhadhu.mano was also good.the highlight of the show was "llife journey" where he showcased the effect of music in different stage of human life.it was extraordinary.kamal,vaale's interaction with IR in the stage was also very touching.overall it was a lifetime experience to watch ir performing live.anybody<music lovers>who had missed it shd consider themselves the most unlucky.BTW i saw a lot of people waiting outside pleading for the ticket.some tickets were sold im black too.at last recognition to IR

karthik_sa2
18th October 2005, 12:21 AM

it was great to see IR SPB COMBO back again.spb sang the first song of the show manram vandha thendral"<after IR'S opening janani>after the song both had a hug and spb kissed IR's head.

tehn after the sundari kannal song spb poured in all praise for IR.he said"IR is the main reason for the sucess of my career,kjj's and janaki's.

hope this relation continues

[/quote][/code]

karthik_sa2
18th October 2005, 12:27 AM
Paramakudi Parandhamanai Parthu Pullarithu(p) Ponen!

hi alwarpet andava
did u get his autograph.but u wud have had a closer view of him i believe.

i was a bit dissapointed that he didnt sing.

karthik_sa2
18th October 2005, 12:30 AM
can anybody tell me why raja didnt perform the three note<sa ri ga> wonder which he said he wud.i was very eagerly waiting for that but ended up dissapointing.

Sanjeevi
18th October 2005, 12:31 AM
My review :D

http://sanjeeviview.blogspot.com/2005/10/blog-post.html

cry_sandiego
18th October 2005, 01:13 AM
Nice review Sanjeevi,

I envy all those who could see it.. I hope somone can record the jaya telecast and post it on the web or something.

thanks
MSK

18th October 2005, 04:51 AM
Super guys :clap: :clap: :clap: I envy you all.

Alwarpettai, nee dheivamappa, thanks for the photo uploads machi :notworthy:

Appdiye plz put a comment on those photos instead of mottaiya(no pun intended!) writing "IR concert 0nn" :D

AA, karthik, Sanjeevi and other IR/KH/SP fans, eppadiaachum video eduthirundha .wmv file-a upload panna mudiyuma?

prabhudas
18th October 2005, 06:01 AM
Hi Guys,
That's great, all those who attended I am sure u all had the life time event to cherish forever.
I only wish and hope Mottai does this in US and other countries as he mentioned in the last year's press meet.
I just can't wait for this to happen in USA,
BTW who were the main organizers, any plans on a concert in Bangalore? . I remember his concert in BLR during his early years either late 70's or early 80's with Malasiya Vasu and others which was big success
Any non Tamil songs in the programs?
I will get ready with my NUMTV subscription

Prabhudas

thops
18th October 2005, 08:15 AM
numtv subscription is going to be on the rise indeed...i am glad that Balu and IR are back together...Balu absence was conspicous in Yuvans wedding, the MDs meet before TiS and the TiS release function itself...

it was a painful sunday for me...i mean not being in chennai...i almost wanted to cry...

thops
18th October 2005, 08:19 AM
Balu with white hair and stuff...man it just pains me to see him get old...

karthik_sa2
18th October 2005, 12:03 PM
Balu with white hair and stuff...man it just pains me to see him get old

thops,
spb only gets sweeter and sweeter in voice as he gets older and older.he sings any songs with great ease these days than bfore.

Shankar
18th October 2005, 12:20 PM
alwarpet,
Great write up...and nice snaps. If it were on a saturday, I wud've made it to chennai :-(

karthik_sa2
18th October 2005, 12:22 PM
IR's andrum indrum endrum concert on 16th october foto gallery courtesy indiaglitz.com

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/8223.html

karthik_sa2
18th October 2005, 12:26 PM
but just three photos Sad indiaglitz.com

krish its been updated again. there r around 9 pages of fotos now.

check it out gys!!

karthik_sa2
18th October 2005, 01:05 PM
can anybody tell me why raja didnt perform the three note<sa ri ga> wonder which he said he wud.i was very eagerly waiting for that but ended up dissapointing.

sorry for this guys.IR did perform the three note wonder at the end of the show which i missed since i left early<since i had to catch up my train>

alwarpet andava
great review and only after reading that i came to know that i missed a lot.i regret now.but no other go had to catch up the train that night.if i had known that IR is defintely going to perform the three note wonder i wud have cancelled my trip.anyway i shd not miss it in jaya tv atleast.

yes as u have mentioned,the audio clarity was extremely bad esspecialy at the back.y did they not have a proper arrangement on that?

the senthora poove starting string section was superb.after the violinists mised the c# note.ir stopped them and guided them the notes again they rehersed in front of the crowd itself.it was like watching IR in the studios.truly a memorable experience for the crowd watching that!!

i missed sivamni in ninukori varnam.ayyo superb roles'lam irrukumae pa adhula.ayyo i feel really bad now.i left the hall when illamkaatu veesudhe was performed.thought the progarmme wil anyway get over in another 15mins after that.never knew that IR WUD perform the three note wonder after that.idhellam yaar kitta pi sollradhu'nu theriyama forum hub'la polambittuirukaen.sorry!!!!!

Cinefan
18th October 2005, 04:50 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/1/8223.html

Updated-11 pages of snaps.

thumburu
18th October 2005, 04:56 PM
AA, Karthik, Sanjeevi, Renault - Thank you all for your nice recount of the mega event. Though initially I brushed it off as a desperate attempt by IR to boost his sagging morale, after reading your write ups, I wonder if I REALLY missed something.

alwarpet_andavan
18th October 2005, 05:16 PM
Super guys :clap: :clap: :clap: I envy you all.

Alwarpettai, nee dheivamappa, thanks for the photo uploads machi :notworthy:

Appdiye plz put a comment on those photos instead of mottaiya(no pun intended!) writing "IR concert 0nn" :D

AA, karthik, Sanjeevi and other IR/KH/SP fans, eppadiaachum video eduthirundha .wmv file-a upload panna mudiyuma?

Nandri *,
Will try to put the comments on the photos soon :)

alwarpet_andavan
18th October 2005, 05:18 PM
alwarpet,
Great write up...and nice snaps. If it were on a saturday, I wud've made it to chennai :-(

Thanks Shankar,
Ayiram dhaan irundhaalum neenga concert-a miss pannirukka koodathu :)

alwarpet_andavan
18th October 2005, 05:20 PM
AA, Karthik, Sanjeevi, Renault - Thank you all for your nice recount of the mega event.

Thumburu,
Thanks

Though initially I brushed it off as a desperate attempt by IR to boost his sagging morale, after reading your write ups, I wonder if I REALLY missed something.
IR ku sagging morale-a???
The assertion is tantamount to saying Bradman had a sagging morale because of his last-innings duck!

TISK
18th October 2005, 07:28 PM
If i remember rightly, the last innings was a sixer!![TiS]

Good write-up, all of you!

Thanks.

Will have to catch it in NumTV only here!

I am sure there will be a DVD coming up soon!

YIA!!

app_engine
18th October 2005, 08:28 PM
http://dinamalar.com/2005oct18/fpnews5.asp

another coverage...

Vkrish
18th October 2005, 09:42 PM
Hi Guys,

The auditorium was packed…fans outside were asking for extra tickets..

The show was absolutely fantastic. The orchestration was great. It was a treat to watch so many musicians playing with the scoresheet. The interludes of all the songs were stunning and it was performed to the best. IR had earlier said in TV that his troupe will be playing the orchestra. hence you can imagine how best it should be… Purudhotaman, who is with IR right from annakili days, should have played a great role in it.

IR should be thrilled by seeing such a large crowd...he was at full form when he rendered songs like "Nan thedum", "Thendral vandhu ...", "Ada veetukkku" etc.

Sivamani had his role in all the songs...and the highlight was his performance in Ninnukori varanam. He finished the concert with his speedy performance..IR giving him the Jadis and Sivamani retaliating back was great to watch.. IR gave applause to him…Sivamani showed his gratitude for IR by singing "Guru Brahma Guru Vishnu…..Raja guruve namaha”.

Shreya, Chitra, SPB and others were all at their best.

There were few 2 concerns ….
1. The audio from the string section was little less for the first 10 songs..It was not much audible for people sitting at the back..(later came to know that a problem related to a mike was detected and corrected).
2. Songs selection was OK. But late 70’s and early 80’s songs could’ve been provided more preference. (But the need of extensive rehearsals and shortage of time are supposed to be one reason.) But still the song playlist was great with all songs having mesmerizing orchestration works.

SPB requested IR to conduct shows for the fans on regular basis. SPB narrated the incidents behind “Sundai Kannal” song. He wondered IR for his speed and his involvements in composing, writing notations, music arrangement, etc etc. all by himself.

Vaali praised Raja for his uniqueness in compositions..and his writing skills of Vemba, and his paiting skill, which many are not aware.

Here is the list….

1. Janani Janani (IR voice was slightly shivering in the first few lines)
2. Manjal Vandha (Happy to see the SPB + IR combo on stage after a lo…ng time)
3. Enna Solli Paduvatho (Casual rendition by Hariharan)
4. Ennai Thalatta
5. Kattril Enthan Geetham - Shreya Goshal voice was so beautiful and she rendered the song with ease. At one instance she sang “Kattril enthan …kanatha ondri Thoduthey…” but she later corrected much to the applause of the entire crowd.
6. Ethetho ennam…(Her voice implies how she got 6 national awards)
7. Mayil pola
8. Kattrinil varum geethame…
9. Nan Thedum Chevvanthy …. Same vintage raja classics…fans enjoyed every moment.
10. Potthy vaccha….
11. Eiii padal ondu …. Vijay yesudas
12. Gazraho…
13. Adi aathadii….the orchestration was great…but unfortunately the audio played a spoilsport.
14. Shenbagame…
15. Rasathi unnai kaanatha …
16. Manguieley….SPB + Chitra..
17. Chinna Kannan Azaikkuran…in fast beats with yuvan in lead.. IR later commented to yuvan as to why he dint sing in his style as “chinnnn kann azaikk kuran….”.
18. Sundary kannal – Pick of the show
19. Unnai vida…..
20. Oh priya priya…
21. Oliyile therivadhu…..(Great !!!)
22. Vanavilley …. (interludes were so beautiful..)
23. Padariyen ….
24. Aattamma ….
25. Ilankatthu veesudhey
26. Pattu solli …
27. Aagaya vennilave…
28. Thumbi…..(from the Mal Film Olangal..orchestration was simply superb and IR gave the vocals).
29. Aasaya Katthula….
30. Ninnukkori varanam….a treat to watch..
31. Thendral vandhu….(Great !!!)
32. Masi masam….vijay yesudas
33. The great 3 Note song wonder…. Rendered by shreya, SPB, and IR…

People who missed the show..don’t worry…njoy this diwali in jaya tv. If this gets released in DVD, then it will be the best show in TFM till date.

app_engine
18th October 2005, 09:49 PM
http://www.newstodaynet.com/17oct/mu1.htm

"An ardent fan of Ilayaraja, coming all the way from Mumbai, said it was a lifetime opportunity to be part of the evening, worth going miles to see.

Such is the magical prowess of the one who made a quiet entry in Annakili and is still on the mesmerising mode. "

says the above report...

app_engine
18th October 2005, 09:55 PM
Some questions to those present for the show:

-Orchestration exactly original mAdhiri irundhadha, or were there any instrument changes?

-Any improvisations (or on-stage-variations) by other singers? Like Balu...or was everyone trying to sing exactly like on the original...

-what were the other pronunciation goof-ups (`kANamal ennai thodudhE' being one reported)

-How did the substitutes fare in comparison with original singers for SJ, KJY songs...any better performances?

-Did the orchestration for old songs create any feeling like 'ippO uLLa nalla recording equiments vachu, more or less original notes& instrument'ai maRupadi oru muRai record paNNinAl evvaLavu nallA irukkum...?'

app_engine
18th October 2005, 09:59 PM
Except one or two (i.e. very recent ones), all others chosen were good numbers...(though one can always say why his / her favourite didn't find a place)...if they come out with audio CD pack for the live show, it will be worth buying...DVD should be even more valuable, I think...

Sanjeevi
18th October 2005, 10:14 PM
Hi app_engine,

Orchestra did not do well in some songs. IR showed his reactions to orchestra group to stop the song and told to redo especially for Naan thedum first interlude music (what a wonderful one). And I also felt there were some diffculties to orchestra to make music due to less time of practice.

I think, always IR songs will not easy for any orchestra to regenerate.But fortunately, most of songs did came very well.

Once IR told about some lyricist always tell two times with heavy tone their lines at stages even if it was simple lines. IR criticize Vairamuthu indirectly?

And I slightly disappointed due to no single performance by karthik raja. Yuvan did very well in Chinna kannan alaikuran ended his typical huavuava.

18th October 2005, 10:21 PM
[tscii:b0149d6014]Here's a review of the concert i got as a forward
--------------------------------------------------------------------
October 16, 2005. The Nehru Indoor Stadium was full-packed by 6 PM. The crowd got anxious, as minutes went past 6:05 PM. It was a mild disappointment for those who expected the concert to start on time. Yet, at 6:35 PM, when Ilayaraja appeared from an elevated revolving platform singing "Janani Janani", flanked on both sides by 2 little kids in white frocks, the whole stadium reverberated with applause. Here was the man clad in a white shirt & dhoti, who has proved through his countless genius compositions, that he is no less than Mozart and Beethovan of those days. It was a dream come true for many, seeing the Maestro face-to-face.

SPB kicked off the concert with the mesmerizing "Mandram vantha thendralukku" (Mouna Raagam). Claps came roaring as he started the initial humming of the song. While singing the line “Maedaiyai pola, Vaazhkai alla...”, Raja & SPB smiled at each other, revealing the legendary bonding between them. Ilayaraja commented at the end of it, "You sing better on stage than while recording".

Parthiban (actor) and Mahathi (budding playback singer) compered the event. Mahathi kept giving technical tips about each song and it's raaga.

It looked like violin fascinates Ilayaraja the most! No other instrument dominated the show as much as that group of violins. The utmost seriousness with which Raja conducted those 35 to 40 violinists was amazing. Many times during the show, Raja signalled to the crowd to concentrate on the violin scores. Even a small variation from his notes irritated him.

When the violinists struggled to play the interludes of "Senthoora Poovey", Raja himself dictated the notes aloud "Play Ne Tha Pa..., it's C# B A....". The violinists were a bit fast when playing for Bhavathaarani's "Mayil pola ponnu onnu", and a slightly disappointed Raja remarked to them, "She is a small girl! See how fast you played! Didn't I tell you during rehearsal itself?". Then he turned to the audience so humbly and asked, "How was it? Was it okay?". The applause that followed gave the answer.

SPB came back to sing "Sundari Kanaal oru sethi, solladi innaal nalla thethi" (Thalapathy) - a notable composition in Kalyaani. Earlier, comperer Mahathi was at loss of words describing how Raja had used Kalyaani raaga in such a war related song sequence. SPB recalled the incident, when Raja recorded this song in Mumbai using R.D.Burman's orchestra and the whole orchestra gave a standing ovation to Raja after playing those complicated interludes.

Chitra gave her very best in "Naan oru sindhu" (Sindhubhairavi). The part in the song where the she sang the swarangal in sync with a solo violin - was just too awesome.

The song that came as the crowd's favorite was "Naan theadum sev-vanthi poo ithu", sung by Raja himself. With popular demand for a "once more", Raja laughed & started singing it once more, replacing the lyrics with his own words praising his fans.

Raja called upon Yuvan Shankar to sing a small song, which was more like a classical one. And at the end, Raja jovially remarked, "Yuvan, what is this! You didn't sing this in your style!" and Raja himself mimicked it in pop-style. :-) Yuvan made a futile effort to sing that song again in pop fashion. Although "Drums" Mani tried to increase the rhythm and support Yuvan, it didn't take-off well.

Hariharan, Bhavathaarini & chorus - sang "Kaatril varum geethamey" (Oru Naal Oru Kanavu). They sang the "swarangal" part of the song together, absolutely in sync. Raja really admired them singing it and joined them towards the end.

Good old singer Jeyachandran came with his best "Raasathi Unnai Kaanatha nenju" (Vaitheki Kaathirundaal). With experienced singers like SPB, Hariharan, Jeyachandran, Chithra, etc one could see Raja quite relaxed and at ease.

Then came "Maanguyiley Poonguyiley" (Kara-kaatakaaran). When Raja had composed that tune, its director Gangai Amaran had remarked, "I am your brother, can't you compose a better tune for me?” But Raja had insisted on sticking to that tune, and we know what a hit it turned out to be!

When Bharathiraja came on stage and spoke high words of praise, Raja gently turned down to accept such high praises, and smiled to the orchestra saying “Let’s play our music and keep going, that’s enough!”.

Towards the end, Raja spoke about his perception of music: "A tune should either convey a mood, or it should deliver a message. If it doesn't serve either of these, it is not of any use. Nowadays, well... many pop songs are coming up, let's not talk of those. It is like the difference between a healthy meal and popcorn. But let's not worry why popcorn sells better!"

A brief video on Ilayaraja's biography was shown. Born in Pannaiyapuram village, Raja used to go to the fields in his young days and make flute out of hollow sticks, even without knowing the basics of music. From Pannaiyapuram to Burmingham Symphony - his musical journey is amazing. His unimaginable level of mastery over Carnatic and Western Classical was evident throughout the show!

Inspite of all those showers of praises by so many people who came on stage, Raja bid farewell with a very humble message, "I became a music director not by any of my efforts, but by God's grace". That humbleness said it all - why this man still remains an unbeaten genius.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There seem to be some factual errors but lets just get the drift

[/tscii:b0149d6014]

Sanjeevi
18th October 2005, 10:25 PM
I enjoyed with two lady singers came from north india. Shreya goshal (my fav) and Sadhana sargam have sweetest voices. But Shreya lost to Sadhana in the category of tamil pronounce.

Sadhana did very well in pattu solli, enna solli and vanavillae. Shreya did very well with her sweet vocie in two ONOK songs, Unna vida and the special katril enthan geetham with thoduthey.

Amoung young male singers Karthik sung much fantastically the song "Oliyilae therivathu".

app_engine
18th October 2005, 10:35 PM
Well Sanjeevi, my question was more related to instruments themselves...(& not whether the orchestra struggled...it's quite possible to miss some on stage performances, especially on some tough ones with less rehearsal)...

Did they use the original instruments themselves or `simulated' using keyboard / synth gimmicks...I've seen some orchestras manage many sections with keyboard sound replacements as they cannot get / afford instrument players for the stage performance...was there any such sodhappals... (Even with Raja, for e.g., I heard samples of the Italy concert on the web...it lacked a lot of original instruments and was pathetic)

venkyforraaja
19th October 2005, 09:26 AM
thops, you are good at dropping one line comments, busy ripping ofr videos and audios ?

-Venky

sureshmehcnit
19th October 2005, 11:42 AM
here is my long take on the concert

http://ursmusically.blogspot.com/2005/10/andrum-indrum-endrum-maestro-lifetime.html

kingvj
19th October 2005, 11:57 AM
[tscii:d4431c35d0]I was at the concert and had the oppurtunity to witness the Maestro live. One word I can express about the experience is, WOW...!!

app_engine, I am sure that IR used live instruments instead of using sync recordings or whatever. This was evident from the songs Áasaya kaathula and Maasi Maasam in which the beats were not the originals but something similar, which I thought was OK.

Singers who are usually known to go out of the track and sing their own (like SPB, Hariharan) stuck 95% to the original track.

IR was so intensely concentrating on his string sections getting their act right that he himself forgot the cue while singing the 'Naan thaedum' song. Unless they got it right, he didnt allow the orchestra to get away as evident from 'Senthoora poovaey' song.

The fitting finale was the 'Veettukku veettukku' song. He really does know what the audience wanted. When the audience was merrily clapping its way, he gestured the audience to be silent (like, 'hey, i know you'll love this') and listen to the string section as a 'special-for-concert' improvization.

The gentle rib on Yuvan had the audience in splits.

Sivamani was awesome..!

'Sundari kannaal oru saedhi' was easily the pick of the show, for its sheer magnanimity of the score and the way it was reproduced on stage.

It was my friend who started the 'Once more' shout for 'naan thaedum' song.

During 'Pothi vacha malliga mottu' song, it was amusing to see SPB mudhugu-theichifying IR as he sang 'konjam maranju paakkavaa, illa mudhugu theikkavaa'..!!

Shreya Ghosal was the 'little-kid-who's-afraid-of-her-master' thing. We were amused all the time when she was on stage doing some 'over enthu' stuff and IR glaring at her.

When the audience wanted once more of the 'Naan thaedum' song, Manjari who accompanied IR as the female lead singer, unknowingly went backstage. As IR started all over, and even the interlude was over, but Manjari hadnt come back. IR, timingly, went 'enakku vaeru vazhiyillayae' in the same tune as the charanam. The audience applauded in approval and Manjari joined him to continue.

More later, if I find time to type..![/tscii:d4431c35d0]

alwarpet_andavan
19th October 2005, 07:45 PM
Some questions to those present for the show:

-Orchestration exactly original mAdhiri irundhadha, or were there any instrument changes?

Mostly original mAdhiri irundhadhu, with a few changes. For example,
a) Mandram vandhu was accompanied by bongo/congo(?) drums and the way the drumming starts in the beginning was slightly different from the original (Sivamani). In addition to Sivamani on the acoustic drums [and lots more of his stuff :)], there was also one person playing the drum pad.

-Any improvisations (or on-stage-variations) by other singers? Like Balu...or was everyone trying to sing exactly like on the original...

Balu Sir did improvize a bit [Pothi Vacha malliga mottu, for example]
And Hariharan also improvized a wee bit....

-what were the other pronunciation goof-ups (`kANamal ennai thodudhE' being one reported)

Needless to say, Yuvan would have surely goofed up his pronunciations when he accompanied Raaja (along with Karthik Raja) in "Janani Janani" but his voice was not heard clearly over Raaja's :).
Also, he said "alaikkiran" instead of "azhaikkiran" in the remix thing, which didn't surprise me at all...
Shreya and Sadhana weren't all that bad in their pronunciations, especially considering the fact that it was a LIVE show...

-How did the substitutes fare in comparison with original singers for SJ, KJY songs...any better performances?

IMO, Shreya was brilliant when she sang "Kaatril Endhan Geetham" though SJ was missed....
And Madhu Balakrishnan was terrific in "Aagaaya vennilave" [that song goes from LOW to HIGH in one line]..
I thought Swarnalatha could have done better in "Aasaya kaathula"....

-Did the orchestration for old songs create any feeling like 'ippO uLLa nalla recording equiments vachu, more or less original notes& instrument'ai maRupadi oru muRai record paNNinAl evvaLavu nallA irukkum...?'
I missed the original orchestration sorely in "ninnukkori varnam" [though Chitra and Sivamani were terrific] because you could hardly hear the drums & the bass guitar [probs with the sound and not the orchestration]. However, the electric/rhythm guitar was replaced with the keyboard which didn't do full justice to the song, IMO....

vijayr
19th October 2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the detailed reviews.

"Also, he said "alaikkiran" instead of "azhaikkiran" in the remix thing, which didn't surprise me at all..."

none of his kids get the "la" and "La" right. avangaLukku shreya Ghosale parava illa.

alwarpet_andavan
19th October 2005, 08:08 PM
"none of his kids get the "la" and "La" right. avangaLukku shreya Ghosale parava illa."
Absolutely :lol: [but Bhavatharini's pronunciation is not bad....]

Reminds me of 'Thengai' Srinivasan's interview in "Thillu Mullu" where he says "La-navum varadhu, sha-navum varadhu zha-navum varadhu!" :)

app_engine
19th October 2005, 08:28 PM
aa:-)
`ellAm eye wasppA'nnu solRa Subhramanya Bharathi'ai OrmappaduththiyathaRku nandRi:-)

Thanks also for your clarifications to the questions that I raised...

app_engine
21st October 2005, 12:09 AM
http://www.chennaionline.com/music/Events/2005/10ilayaraja01.asp

A balanced review...written with some insight...

vijayr
21st October 2005, 03:57 AM
Another good one from The Hindu
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/10/21/stories/2005102100140200.htm

Shankar
21st October 2005, 10:56 AM
aa :-)

<digression>
another interesting dialogue from the same scene
--------------------------------------------------------------
thengai: engE nAn solradha apdiyE sollunga - Oru kattu sullila oru sulli kona sulli
subramanya_barathi: vENdAm sir, risku
--------------------------------------------------------------

:-)
<end digression>

mythila
21st October 2005, 01:51 PM
Iam sure the audience might have been mighty disappointed with the SPB-Phobia of IR. With SPB's towering presence, one would have expected atleast a few of his classics like "thakitathadhmi" or "iLaiyanila" or "ponmaalai pozhudhu" or "thogai iLamayil" . I doubt which fan would have opted for dumb songs like "enna solli" or "mayil pola" or "oLiyile therivadhu" over these

Sanjeevi
21st October 2005, 01:58 PM
Iam sure the audience might have been mighty disappointed with the SPB-Phobia of IR. With SPB's towering presence, one would have expected atleast a few of his classics like "thakitathadhmi" or "iLaiyanila" or "ponmaalai pozhudhu" or "thogai iLamayil" . I doubt which fan would have opted for dumb songs like "enna solli" or "mayil pola" or "oLiyile therivadhu" over these

what you are thinking mythila?
Why even many IR fans underrate IR's new songs? What is the reason?.
I like very much oliyile therivadhu as like as IR's 80s song.

Shankar
21st October 2005, 02:21 PM
sanjeevi,
Given a choice which would you prefer ? ilaiyanila or enna solli ??

Man, there's a world of difference between SPB and hh...and bigger difference between Raja of 70-80 and Raja of 90-00.

Shankar
21st October 2005, 02:23 PM
I too am surprised by ilaiyanila missing.

Was "thEnE thenpANdi meenE" played ? what about "en iniya pon nilAvE" and "poongadhavE thAzh thiravAi" ? were they played ??

Sanjeevi
21st October 2005, 02:39 PM
I too am surprised by ilaiyanila missing.

Was "thEnE thenpANdi meenE" played ? what about "en iniya pon nilAvE" and "poongadhavE thAzh thiravAi" ? were they played ??

I was also disappointed due to the reason of less performed songs of late 70s and 80s.

Given a choice which would you prefer ? ilaiyanila or enna solli ??

definitely ilaiyanila but why at the same time u underrate enna solli?

BTW I like very much oliyilae therivathu, an extrordinary work from IR at recent times.

Shankar
21st October 2005, 07:03 PM
sanjeevi,
its not the question of underrating a song...If you are asked to pick 10 best songs of Raja, I can give it in writing that every single song in that list would be from his 70-80s time, and "iLayanila" surely is one of the top 10 songs of Raja and it wasn't played.
Had Raja made this a 75% pre 85 and 25% recent songs, the program wud've been much better, for every Raja fan wants to listen to his golden era compared to the more recent ones.

vijayr
21st October 2005, 07:33 PM
Pressure from producers, requests from "all sections" as stated earlier by IR, non-availability of some of the old singers might have been some factors that went into the selection. But even then Khajuraho shouldnt have been there. The only reason I think that this song was selected because it was recent and had a moderate run time on Sun TV.

Sanjeevi
21st October 2005, 09:50 PM
Tamil leading weeklies Ananda Vikatan and Kumudam published the coverage news of live concert. Kumudam printed in Function Junction. But AV has given superbly its article on live concert. A photo is clearly printed in which IR and his two sons are signing the Janani Janani song. The phote has come out excellently.

sathyakabali
25th October 2005, 08:39 PM
You can enjoy the photos from Viaktan article:

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=4465&start=60

app_engine
1st November 2005, 11:08 PM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=219303&disdate=11/1/2005

Another thing has sprung up...after some allegation of TiS sale deed...What's really funny about this news is the `kolai mirattal' part...

Looks like there is some politics going on...I think the whole Jaya TV thing was probably due to some political pressure (after the involvement of Vaiko & Cong-I central minister in TiS release)...

svaisn
2nd November 2005, 10:43 AM
Had a chance to see the concert in Jaya TV....

It was too good.....

I never expected shreya would so well....

Is there any way to get the CD of this concert (VCD or DVD)

svaisn
2nd November 2005, 11:15 AM
One more doubt

Y didnt sujatha take part in the concert

I saw her sitting in the audience crowd :roll: :roll:

rajdes
2nd November 2005, 11:21 AM
I eat my words. Why, I chew, swallow and digest my words. I remember not being enthused very much by the announcement of this program a few weeks back - my logic being IR doenst need to get into the performing mode now. After seeing the first part yesterday on Jaya TV, I would like to humbly eat my words - I was wrong. The man was fully enthusiastic and had a child-like pleasure in sharing his goodies :-). The connect to fans was instantaneous and I really hope it has rejuvenated his spirit as a creator. Would like to write more but with my big boss looking over my shoulder, will have to postpone that.
Cant wait for the second part on Sunday evening!

2nd November 2005, 11:50 AM
app,
that was indeed a good find. There seems to be more to it than meets the eye.
*waiting with fingers crossed*

netfriend4u2005
2nd November 2005, 12:20 PM
The Ilaiyaraaja Live in concert was very good.
And hope he does more programs in future with support of stars.

I am interesred for the Jaya TV program in DVD for an un edited version. Kindly count me for the DVD version.

svaisn
2nd November 2005, 12:25 PM
where can we get the DVD/VCD??

krish244
2nd November 2005, 12:53 PM
Yes I saw the program too. It was pretty neat. Part-II of the program is next Sunday at 4pm. My feelings (as much as I can remember):

- When IR came on stage and when he started "Janani" song, there was little shiver (already pointed out by someone here..) in his voice, but later steadied himself.

- Did you guys notice that there were couple of people in the audience (including Vinu Chakravarthy & the lady sitting next to IR's wife) had tears in their eyes? This was when IR was singing "Janani" song. Infact, even I was highly moved by the song & his rendition and also to the realisation at that point of time that how much this man's music has affected me. I guess its almost the same feeling that lot of people have got.

- SPB sang "Manram Vandha". He sung it well (although with little deviation & improvisation) and he requested IR do more such concerts for his fans.

- "Enna Solli Paaduvadho" was rendered by Hariharan & Sadhana Sargam. Sadhana was at her best. Sadhana really surprised me by her good pronounciation & singing aswell. Did you guys notice the way she sung "Shenbagame" (Mano has sung it with ease too). She kept it very close to the original. I noticed that in all her concerts she tries to keep her songs as original (as it is in CD's) as possible with very little & apt improvisations. I like this aspect of her singing. I hate Hariharan when he does (or overdoes) the improvisations and thereby killing the escense of the original. Many places, he even went offkey. As much as I admire his originals, I hate many of his stage performances.

- Kaatril Endhan Geetham: Excepting the glaring "Thodudhey" (later she corrected thereby receiving the applause of the crowd) she sung the song very well. Her voice is too good.

- Chitra proved whey she is considered one of the best with "edhedho". Very good.

- Thankfully, Hariharan did not destroy "Ennai thaalatta" song although at some places I did not like it. Also, I noticed that the orchestra did not give the 2-3 second silence that is observed in the second interlude. That silence in the original has great impact because the following music is very effective.

- "Kaatril Varum Geetham" song was not performed well at all. First of all Bhavadharini shivered like anything while singing, hariharan did not join at the right time & also on one or two occassions Shreya looked puzzled. On the whole I would say this song was spoiled.

- "Pothi vacha" was done well by SPB & Chitra (am I right?). I liked it.

- "Naan thedum chevvanthi" was again performed well by IR & Manjari. Was partly repeated on audience request.

- "Eh paadal ondru" was again done well by Vijay Jesudas & Uma Ramanan (am I right?).

- "Mayil pola" was ok.

- "Adi Aathadi" - If I remember it right, Swarnalatha voice was shivering quite a bit. IR was ok & did well.

I guess Kamal was probably in bodhai & hence desired not to sing. IR pulled his leg by singing "Kudigaara" and later changing it into "Paramakudikaara" :).

Also there were so many celebrities from both chinnathirai & vellithirai.

All those interludes were a treat to feel. As much as possible, original interludes were retained. The sound from voilins section was low at many places and that was a bit dissappointing. Also, I am impressed by the way Sadhana & Shreya has sung the songs which has been sung by other singers. They have really have learnt it well.

Overall I was very content with the concert and eagerly looking forward for the next part.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
2nd November 2005, 12:55 PM
"They have really have learnt it well" should be "They really have learnt it well".

thanks,

Krishnan.

alwarpet_andavan
2nd November 2005, 01:34 PM
Chennaionline may negotiate with Jaya TV to get the DVD and VCD versions of the concert.

alwarpet_andavan
2nd November 2005, 01:40 PM
I guess Kamal was probably in bodhai & hence desired not to sing. IR pulled his leg by singing "Kudigaara" and later changing it into "Paramakudikaara" :).

:evil: :evil:

You missed the pun, mate. Beaten fair and square :)

svaisn
2nd November 2005, 01:53 PM
That is indeed a good news AA...

please post it in TFM if they release the CD.....

Krish.. the lady next to IRs wife was Mrs. Jesudas.....

thumburu
2nd November 2005, 04:46 PM
As if Bhavatharini's recorded songs were not enough , her stage singinging proved to be a greater grating on my frail nerves.Not even a single line of hers adhered to proper shruthi . Her "mayil pola" and "katril varum geethame" served as perfect dhrushti to the otherwise good programme. Hariharan paled before SPB.His struggle was obvious during "enna solli" song.

krish244
2nd November 2005, 06:21 PM
Yes AA! :)

Thanks Svaisn! Never seen her before.

Cannot agree more Thumburu! SPB also mentioned that he, Das Annan (Jesudas), Janaki & the latest Chitra were all the luckiest to be associated with this man (the legend IR).

BTW, I forgot to mention about "Kajuraaho" song. As far as I remember, Shreya sung it well and Hariharan's improvisations in some places did not impress me.

thanks,

Krishnan

svaisn
3rd November 2005, 08:50 AM
Yes AA! :)

Thanks Svaisn! Never seen her before.

Cannot agree more Thumburu! SPB also mentioned that he, Das Annan (Jesudas), Janaki & the latest Chitra were all the luckiest to be associated with this man (the legend IR).

BTW, I forgot to mention about "Kajuraaho" song. As far as I remember, Shreya sung it well and Hariharan's improvisations in some places did not impress me.

thanks,
Krishnan

Bhavatharini... was not upto the standarads.....
May be she would have been tensed...

Hariharan spoilt the Kaatril varum geetham song also....

Cinefan
3rd November 2005, 11:10 AM
Chennaionline may negotiate with Jaya TV to get the DVD and VCD versions of the concert.

That would be a collector's item if it is 'unedited'.What was shown on Jaya couple of days back was clearly edited.

Seeing the first part I really felt bad I was not part of the crowd.IR was very casual/carefree&connected very well with the audience.

krish has given an apt review.I agree with him on all the points esp the way Hariharan went overboard with his improvisations not only killing the songs but also sounding offkey.

Swarnalatha's rendering of 'adi Athadi'was bad.wish IR had replaced her with someone else.

Sreya ghosal was a revelation.Not only is she very pretty but also sings damn well.IR sonna madhiri,'Thoduthey'mistake-a mannichi vittidlam.

'Katril varum geethamay'had the singers completely clueless.Guess they did not have a proper reharsal together.

krish,
As AA has mentioned you did not get the pun on Kamal by IR.

rajdes
3rd November 2005, 02:52 PM
"Show your appreciation by keeping quiet. I know you are used to big-time whistling and clapping and bringing the roof down in other shows. But this is a different show. There are pieces in the orchestration that you wont even find in the original records. So, show your joy by appreciating the finer aspects".

Thus spake the maestro kicking-off the programme. Immediately, you knew why this wasnt just another music director presenting just another "Live show". This was the maestro - and he was determined to leave his inimitable stamp. Which other performer would goad the audience not to clap?Not to shout? What supreme confidence this man has in his abilities, I thought at that moment, that he doesnt need to listen to huge uproars from blind, fanatic audience to know his worth. Only a genius such as him could have crossed that boundary and see the programme as an opportunity for his fans to partake more of his musical genius.

His voice trembled while rendering the inevitable "Janani Janani" to begin the show but that was only the cobwebs being shaken off after long years of not performing on stage. As he gestured for someone in the audience during the song, one wondered what was that only to be answered by Yuvan joining the chorus soon to eb joined by Karthik. Tears flowed down the eyes of a member of the audience, and why not?

Sadhana Sargam surprised everyone with a flawless rendering of Enna Solli Paduvadho, with Hariharan dutifully taking the role of "dhrishti bommai" with his exaggerated sangadhis and off-key rendition in many places. Shame on him. In contrast was his senior in the industry, the incomparable SPB, who gave "Mandram vandha thendral", the same energy and emotion 20 years after the original recording. What a shame then that Hari should end up with mroe songs than any one other than IR in the show.

The bond between SPB and his old friend was visible as the former playfully play-acted as if massaging Raja's back during Pothi Vecha Malligai Mottu, with Chitra filling in admirably for Janaki.

Chitra, easily the greatest discovery of Raja, rocked with Punnagai Mannan, too. Swarnalatha, a competent singer, however, disappointed with Adi Athadi.

That brings us to SG, not Sourav Ganguly, but Shreya Ghoshal - and she was as much in top form as the former is out of it. This young lady was nothing short of brilliant and won the hearts of the audience with a charming correction of her own mistakes - thoduthae for theduthae in Katril Endhan Geetham - during the song itself. Her respectful glance towards 'Raja uncle' when she corrected herself( ippo sariya irukka? kind of look) spoke volumes of the girl's attitude. Make no mistake, she is going to go places. IR displayed his unique sense of humour when he imitated Saroja Devi to drive home the point that we have always tolerated the 'stylish' rendition of tamil by people from other states. Keeping her competent company was Sadhana, who much to my surprise, hardly made any mistakes with her pronounciation in all of her songs.

Hurry Haram..er..HariHaran returned to butcher Ennai Thalatta varvalo with some needless improvisations. He continued this murderous form with Katril Varum Geethamae, leaving the other singers stumped - beyond a point, Sadhana and Shreya stopped singing not knowing what is going to come from him next.
I am not going to comment on Bhavadharini's songs. Enna solla, nepotism is not unusual in human beings - IR reminded this when he spoke of how he instructed the orchestra to go slow during the rehearsals so as to facilitate his "little girl" to cope up with the demands. Bhava comes across as a sincere student but nothing more than that really.

Mahathi avoided the flashy and as compere, confined herself to discussing the ragam or the context of the songs to be sung. Good choice. Parthiban, as usual, pulled off his usual stunts, playing cheesily with words(covering Mahathi's flowers on the head with a basket was supposed to be an introduction for Pothi vecha malligai mottu - gawd!)and sycophantizing well enough.

Cant wait for the part 2 - especially since I seem to have missed the "not-in-original-records" part of the orchestra , atleast for the songs shown in part 1 of the TV programme. I guess he was probably referring to the 3-in-1 and the Thumbi Vaa. A thought crossed me as the title for the programme played Thumbi Vaa in flute - there is a tune that would sit well in a Symphony? Hmm.. Seivaaya Rasaiya?

Cacaphonix
4th November 2005, 01:13 AM
http://www.hindu.com/2005/11/04/stories/2005110404950200.htm

MADDY
4th November 2005, 11:15 PM
It looked as if the city was witnessing a total solar eclipse when people usually kept indoors.

The roads were virtually deserted and the noise level was low. But music wafted past one's ears while passing any house.

:lol: :lol:

rajasaranam
5th November 2005, 12:09 AM
* deleted *

rsubras
5th November 2005, 01:46 AM
Since this is a post for IR fans expressing their joy over his live concert, it would be nice if maddy and rajasaranam deletes their posts

IMHO, the concert cud have been more grand, made more popular than this, coz IR deserves something more and better......

MADDY
5th November 2005, 08:11 AM
* deleted *

Vysar
5th November 2005, 10:34 PM
ILayaraja's concert info

http://www.kumudam.com/lightsonline/051105/pg6.php

krish244
7th November 2005, 02:09 PM
Very Good Morning to everyone & hope you have a cool week ahead!

I hate myself to have missed most of the "Part II" of Maestro Dr.IR's concert on Jaya TV yesterday. I had to attend to something else very important. I was just able to catch 2-3 songs at the end of the program. Thoughts about the same:

1) "Oliyile Therivadhu" was sung pretty well by Karthik. Really appreciate his talent & ability to reproduce it pretty neatly on stage aswell. I am sorry I cant spare any appreciation for Bhavadharini. She needs to carry out her stage performances well, else she has to stop performing on stage atleast! Interludes were reproduced almost as it is and that was a very good point.

2) "Paadariyen Padippariyen" was done well by Chitra. The only thing that bothered me was that the pace of the song was a bit slow (also not much of vigour) compared to the original. I found the sudden increase of pace in the end (to accomodate the fast sangadhis) a bit unnatural. Also the violin guy deviated a bit. When audience thought the song was over, Chitra continued singing some portion of "Marimari ninne" originally sung by Jesudas.

3) Swarnalatha tried her best to induce lot of energy into the song "Aattama" and the output was ok I would say, but not the best. The main part I was looking for was the interludes and it was done to a decent extent. The best part was the flute portion which was reproduced ditto like the original.

AVM Saravanan said "IR is a role model for the youngsters". I completely agree with him.

Can anyone say about the songs that I missed?

Also, I totally forgot about the music that comes when the end credits rolls (it came in first part too). That music is really good. I have not heard it before and its fresh. It certainly has IR touch and it has some birds chirping/nature sounds aswell. Anyone has any ideas? Is it part of Wings CD? Is mp3's available of that CD anywhere?

The next part (Part-III) is coming Sunday. I dont know the timings.

thanks,

Krishnan

rajdes
7th November 2005, 02:48 PM
The intro by IR to second part of the show on Jaya TV had , guess what, background score from the movie GURU(Malayalam)!!
This intro must have been recorded after diwali because Raja spoke about response to the part 1 telecast.

GURU, circa 1998, was a popular discussion theme in this forum and it had mind-blowing BGM. Wonder if it is available under some other cover as an album? or, someone from the Jaya TV production team is as ardent(perhaps more) a fan or IR as many here :-). Either way, I would like to lay my hands upon whatever CD, album that beholds BGM of GURU...

karthik_sa2
7th November 2005, 03:43 PM
This must come as good news to you and all the IR fans!

Jaya TV has accepted our request for supply of DVDs on the IR programme telecast in its channel.

This is expected to be announced tomorrow, Nov 5, 2005.

Regarding the modalities of how we can collect copies, make payments etc., I'll give you details sometime tomorr! ow, but the main thing is our request has been granted. Thanks to all of you for your perseverance and your patience.

You can make the announcement to our members, with the news that details will follow.

Thanks and regards

karthik

'Maestro Ilaiyaraaja' - May All The Elements Say His Name

K
7th November 2005, 03:45 PM
that is not AVM Saravanam He is Director SP Muthuraman

thumburu
7th November 2005, 04:06 PM
Karthik must have thoroughly enjoyed singing "oLiyile". His body language showed that. My special appreciation to Arunmozhi or Napolean for playing the challenging flute bits to perfection.[It is a very a tough job to do on stage as I have noticed many light music flutists floundering on the stage]. Tippu's "unnai vida" cold blooded murder made me yearn for Kamal's karunai kolai.
Agreeing with Krish's comment on Chira's needless dragging of "paadariyen". I would have done a better justice to my most favourite "sendhurapoove" than IR's erumai magaL [Sorry Bhava fans :(( ]

karthik_sa2
7th November 2005, 04:21 PM
Agreeing with Krish's comment on Chira's needless dragging of "paadariyen".

krish and thumburu
"mari mari ninaen" is a keertanai that follows that song.and keertanai ahs to be sung fully and shd not be stopped in the middle.

thumburu
7th November 2005, 04:27 PM
karthik, my grouse is not on the length of the song, but on the tempo of the song[thaaLathai romba medhuva poda vendi irukkum and might not sustain the sudience's interest]

alwarpet_andavan
7th November 2005, 04:29 PM
The audience lapped up the "Padariyen-Mari mari" offering, as would have been evident in the TV programme. Any doubts/fears about the audience not liking it is FUD.

Cinefan
7th November 2005, 04:46 PM
My cable operator played truant from 5.20 to 6.10 which meant I was not able to watch the prog from the moment Sreya began to sing 'Unnai Vida' till Chitra started 'padariyen'.Can anyone tell me what all I missed out on?

Ravi_odiyur
7th November 2005, 05:21 PM
Hi all,

As much as I was excited to watch the programme, I was also equally curious to know the hubbers reactions to the programme and its nice to know that all have had only positive comments (I mean hardly any blind criticism or favouritism).

What I liked?
. IR's sense of humour. Have known about it and read/seen in bits and pieces but saw it in full swing during the programme.

. Orchestration was so perfect that it seemed so close to the original score. Again, special kudos to ArunMozhi (a.k.a Napolean) for the flute bit. Read in an interview that IR is such a fan of flutes that he makes sure to get one during his abroad visits and one such flute costed about 1.5 Lakh rupees and Arunmozhi was the only one apart from IR to have had the chance to play it (I think it figured in this concert as well, the U-shaped one). The violin troupe, bongos, tablas were all too good.

. SPB's voice seems to be getting better and better with time. Also his appreciations, comments seemed very genuine and authentic.

. I am die hard fan of Chithra and it was nice to see her perform. But during some songs (pothi vecha and Sundari), her voice seemed very low. Liked the Pandariyen swaram bit - sounded just like the original.

. Uma Ramanan's voice - crystal clear and how it flows with ease even in the high octaves. Sad that her voice was not fully utilised (other than IR to some extent).

. Shreya Ghoshal, Sadhana Sargam, Mano, Karthik, Hariharan were all good.

What I did not find that good :

. Sound recording or acoustics were not that good. As somebody said, maybe an indoor stadium is not suited for a musical concert.

. Bhavatharini disappointed terribly. Her voice was literally shaking.

. Hariharan/SPB could have avoided the so called improvisations. But SPB stuck to the original tunes most of the time.

. Would have loved to see more chances given to the good singers - Karthik, Mano, Madhu Balakrishnan, Uma Ramanan. Don't know if Part-3 would hold more of their participation.

alwarpet_andavan
7th November 2005, 05:43 PM
. Sound recording or acoustics were not that good. As somebody said, maybe an indoor stadium is not suited for a musical concert.

On the contrary, an indoor stadium is very well suited for a concert, provided the acoustics are good. The balance given to the different sections [esp the string sections] was not good and that is why the sound was not great.
<Digression>
There was a concert in 2001 by Roger Waters [of Pink Floyd] in Bangalore. When it comes to audiovisual special effects, no group can hold a candle to Pink Floyd but on that night, the output and was not enough for the outdoor setting [palace grounds] and the 360 degree surround sound's impact was not that great as expected. And incidentally, most of the concerts he performed in that tour was in indoor stadiums where the effect was said to be mind blowing :)
</Digression>

Ravi_odiyur
7th November 2005, 05:55 PM
Mmm... thanks for the info Alwarpet Andavan. Yes, I had the same thing is mind - acoustics - whether indoor stadium or not!

vijayr
7th November 2005, 10:08 PM
I have seen just the first part so far on numtv.com(which seems to be down for the past 2 days)
Ravi_Odiyur, you missed out IR's singing while criticizing Bhava. IR's voice was shaky and had innumerable shruthi losses throughout. Often while singing he would turn around to signal something to his orchestra and bang! would lose the shruthi. I think in naan thedum he was so busy overseeing his orchestra(why couldnt have someone else done this for that song?) that he forgot to start the charanam on time and had to wait for the next beat cycle with a sheepish smile. I didnt like the goof ups by Shreya Ghosal either. In Kaatril varum geethame she wasnt sure when to sing and when not to and kept jumping up and down looking at IR all the time. Singing is the easiest part in such programmes. When the musicians rehearse for hrs and deliver it cant the singers do it properly?

thops
8th November 2005, 06:00 AM
well atleast IR's voice has some character...hariharan and bhava should have been banned from singing in this concert...SPB should have sung more songs...

i think shreya goofed up katril varum geethamey due to hariharan, actually all the singers screwed up that song...you have to give her a break...(okay vijayr maybe the wrong person to ask for any such breaks :-))...i dont think singing in such concerts is easy for the non-tamil singers...she was easily my pick among the female singers of the evening...

okay enough of cribbing...the good things about the concert...(i have seen only the first part in NumTV)...SPB and Shreya come out on top of the singers list...SPB is just in a different league...i am glad he got to sing the pseudo-first song of the evening...it would have been a gross injustice if it had been anybody else...shreya did an amazing job with katril endhan geetham...though sadhana's pronunciation was supposedly better i prefer shreya's voice...

arunmozhi/napolean was great on the flute...i though he was perfect...i am looking forward to listening to jeyachandran and dreading bhava's sendhoora poove...

kingvj
8th November 2005, 08:53 AM
If you would hv noted, in the second interlude of 'Sundhari Kannaal Oru Sedhi', after the huge violin/trumphet/drums combo, when the flute took over to finish the interlude, there was applause.

The bass-flute intro for the 'Aasaya kaathula thoodhu vittu' also drew instant applause from the crowd.

vijayr
8th November 2005, 10:28 AM
I dont think Shreya's goofup had anything to do with HH. HH joins that song only towards the end.Sure, HH had his usual wacky improvs here and there but him and Sadhana showed their stage experience and competence in general. I guess Shreya probably needs more experience singing Tamil songs on stage. Her voice is good I agree(as is Saadhana's). But I find it hard to believe that we cant find singers like that in TN. Our MDs need to switch on Jaya TV once in a while and watch sapthaswarangaL and other programmes.

karthik_sa2
8th November 2005, 12:52 PM
well atleast IR's voice has some character...hariharan and bhava should have been banned from singing in this concert...SPB should have sung more songs

:clap: :clap:
well said

alwarpet_andavan
8th November 2005, 01:26 PM
Often while singing he would turn around to signal something to his orchestra and bang! would lose the shruthi... Singing is the easiest part in such programmes. When the musicians rehearse for hrs and deliver it cant the singers do it properly?
True. Idhai perfectionism ednrum sollalaam, aaruvakkalaru endrum sollalaam, and to a certain extent, micro-management endrum sollalaam. Also, in a couple of instances, the singers themselves felt a little bit tied down, IMO. And about the rehearsals, maybe its like the difference between the "nets" and the actual match in the ground :)

Ravi_odiyur
8th November 2005, 02:44 PM
vijayr, you were right in saying "But I find it hard to believe that we cant find singers like that in TN". This is exactly my stand too. We say Sandhana's pronounciation is better, Shreya is improving on the diction... this goes on to show that we are getting convinced with the flawed dictions too. Sadhana and Shreya are great singers no doubt but I can never accept their pronounciation to be anywhere close to perfection. Infact PSusheela, SPB, Chitra, SJ, Sujatha - all have strong native accent while speaking in Tamizh but when singing their diction is so near perfect!

Yes, even I felt singers did not practise as much as the orchestra (why then would Shreya sing as "Thoduthey"). And again, Shreya jumping around and moving back forth seemed very unprofessional.

Sanjeevi
8th November 2005, 02:56 PM
And again, Shreya jumping around and moving back forth seemed very unprofessional.

Her behaviour was like a child. (Thoduthey, theduthey and thappa badichuttu thiru thiru nu muzhichathu) :lol:

Shankar
8th November 2005, 03:58 PM
I noticed an interesting gesture when shreya was singing...After every line she jerks the mike out to the side stylishly...I was wondering why was she doing that...I then realized she was taking breath after every line and this was to avoid that "huuh.." kind of inhaling sound. You can find that sound when swarna sings her numbers.

Chitra after every line, jerks her head away from the mike ....SJ is the ONLY person i've seen who doesn't move a bit while singing...I remember watching SJ on tv. The song was "adiyE manam.." from neengaL kEttavai...I can't imagine what people like HH wud've acted if they were singing this number.

HH acted like a clown most of the time. Most of his improvizations ended up spoiling the songs.

Ravi_odiyur
8th November 2005, 04:30 PM
Shankar, even PS and Uma Ramanan stand very still while singing. Chithra, I believe, acquired this habit somewhere in the middle. She wasn't doing this earlier. Also, her trademark smiles have lessened these days.

krish244
8th November 2005, 04:37 PM
K, yup my mistake...its S.P.Muthuraman.

thumburu, agree with you on Karthik & also the flute guy.

karthik_sa2, in the movie sindhu bhairavi, chitra completes "paadariyen" song with the pallavi (can I call it pallavi??) of "mari mari ninne" song, but in this stage version, she continued beyond that and sung the portions that Jesudas sung in the movie.

Vijayr, when Bhavadharini sang on stage, everyone missed something or the other :) BTW, how do I see the program on numtv.com? Although Shreya is my current favourite, Sadhana performed better than her in this stage performance. Agree with you there are good talent available from programs such as Sapthaswarangal. I have also seen some good performances in "Aaha paadalam" (compered by Mahati (she can be tested aswell) & the other guy) on Pothigai channel aswell. The format of this program is kept very simple.

Thumburu, agree with you on Karthik. He's my current favourite too.

Is mp3 of "Naan thedum Chevvanthipoo" available somewhere?

thanks,

Krishnan

thops
8th November 2005, 07:46 PM
Shreya started goofing up only after HH entered towards the end of the song...IMNSHO HH's whacky improvisations were highly incompetent...even otherwise he sucked big time...and by her own admission this was shreya's first tamil concert...so she did pass with flying colors...

thops
8th November 2005, 08:03 PM
//Yes, even I felt singers did not practise as much as the orchestra (why then would Shreya sing as "Thoduthey"). And again, Shreya jumping around and moving back forth seemed very unprofessional.//

well obviously...this concert was held at a relatively short notice and since the singers are not part of IR's troupe they do have other things to do, than spend 3 weeks rehearsing i assume..."competent" singers like HH screwed up songs which they have sung before and should be familiar with...shreya's goof up pales in comparison...

if you expect ppl to stand like statues and perform maybe you should go a WCM concert...

Ravi_odiyur
8th November 2005, 08:22 PM
thops, you got it all wrong. I never wanted singers to sing like statues. I have loved the styles of Usha Uthup, L.R.Eswari, SPB-Gangai Amaran combo and also the likes of SJ, PS, Chithra who sing very quietly. Where did Shreya fit here? Was she entertaing the crowd by moving back and forth? A big fan of Shreya you may be thops, but justifying every action of hers is totally unwarranted. People are entitled to their own opinions too.

vijayr
8th November 2005, 09:44 PM
In his eagerness to defend Shreya, Thops is unnecessarily bashing HH. HH's improvs-you might not have liked them but that doesnt mean he was incompetent.
Shreya had obvious flaws. First concert, little time for preparation etc. are not valid excuses. Saadhana probably had the same time for preparation too and this is not the first time Shreya is singing tamil songs in her life either. She even wrote the word right as IR pointed out but sang it wrongly. So who is to blame here? And her jumping up and down wasnt because of any Usha Uthup style or anything like that but more a temporary thing when she started off at the wrong place and realized it almost instantaneously and that made her almost jump up a little and look at IR for approval.
On the plus side, she has a good voice which I have already mentioned it earlier.

music man
8th November 2005, 10:29 PM
Hai friends,Can anyone give me the link where I can hear/download the song "Naan Thedum Sevanthi povithu" from Dharmapathini

karthik_sa2
9th November 2005, 12:41 AM
musicman

u can try coolgoose.com or mohankumars.com.

thops
9th November 2005, 09:33 AM
// Was she entertaing the crowd by moving back and forth? //
i may be missing something but how did her actions devalue the song...

//A big fan of Shreya you may be thops, but justifying every action of hers is totally unwarranted.//
this is applicable to your comment about shreya's unprofessionalism too...there is no need to pick at every little thing either...

vijayr...my recommendation to ban hariharan was before i started defending shreya...HH was indeed incompetent...feel free to disagree...

Shankar
9th November 2005, 10:01 AM
>>>>
HH's improvs-you might not have liked them but that doesnt mean he was incompetent.
<<<<

I felt he spoiled the original numbers by his improvs. Somehow, i've always felt hh acts big in his concerts but isn't as good as he projects himself to be.

vijayr
9th November 2005, 10:16 AM
Thops, while we cite specific goof ups for Shreya all that you have against HH are your personal opinions. So there is nothing much here to agree or disagree.For the same improvs for which you hate him there might be people who might love him for that. I am not myself a big fan of his improvs, but incompetent he certainly was'nt.

thops
9th November 2005, 11:55 AM
HH's first line on-stage in the concert is a goof up...he starts enna solli at the wrong moment and has to restart...he also starts his portion the katril varum geethame at the wrong tempo...thappu kandupidikaanumnu ninaichaa aayiram irukku...

just finished watching the 2nd part on numtv...the audio and video was totally out of sync, spoiling the experience...

thumburu
9th November 2005, 12:36 PM
Being a classically trained singer HH's music competency cannot be questioned. I rate HH, KJY even greater than SPB in this aspect. What bothered me about HH was not his improv, but his "off shruthi " singing at many places which cannot be excused.But his "vaanaville" rendition was good.
Few months back, I was raving about HH's free flowing improvs and his mastery over brihas and sangathis after watching his "50th year" celebration programme.When HH ad SPB sang "kaadhal rojavae" like a duet, I felt SPB was losing out to HH. Well, I think we can only comment on case to case basis as for as talented singers like SPB/HH/ShankarMahadevan are concerned. Regarding this IR's programme , looks like only SPB can do justice to all IR's songs.

vijayr
9th November 2005, 08:52 PM
HH wasnt "off-shruthi" anywhere during the concert, nor did he sing out-of-tempo in Kaatril varum geethame. Lets not invent imaginary mistakes. Shreya was the one who joined in at the wrong time and had to jump about it.

vijayr
9th November 2005, 08:55 PM
and her goof up earlier in Kaatril endhan geetham was so glaring that the entire audience reacted to it.

thops
9th November 2005, 10:16 PM
you have convieniently avoided talking about the other goofup as expected and now want get into to rating the goof-ups...nice try...

vijayr
10th November 2005, 12:51 AM
I watched the first part last week and will have to watch it again today to determine if it was a goof up or another imaginary invention. I dont remember HH and Saadhana making any embarassing mistakes like the one Shreya did. As for rating or determining goofs, I dont have to do it, the audience and IR did it in the show itself.
(Also your earlier claim for HH being incompetent were based on his improvs which was clearly your preference and nothing to do with any singing goofups)

krish244
10th November 2005, 01:25 PM
Agree with thumburu on whats been said about HH. I love his style of singing (and his voice) right from his Ghazal days. One has to check out his old Ghazal albums. I dont remember them offhand, but one of them is called "Reflections" (That reminds me, I need to collect mp3's of the same). SPB is one of my most favourite singer (next to Mohd. Rafi), but I did not like some of the improvisations that he did in his old concerts. Even today he does it, but I feel he has limited them! I have seen HH singing in other concerts aswell and I have sort of (despite liking some improvs & not liking other improvs) enjoyed his overall performance, but in this concert, as thumburu says, his off-key rendition in a few places irritated me more. For me, even if my favourite artist irritates me like that, I will not like that.

What I liked about Shreya (and also Sadhana...she gave me a pleasant shock in the rendition of both "Shenbagame" & "Enna Solli" (am I right)) is that she stuck to the originals as much as possible. Having said that I cannot imagine how "Thodudhey" missed everyones sight/ears while rehearsing or while writing it down. Shreya is pardoned because otherwise she did a decent job with her other songs.

Regarding "Kaatril Varum Geethame", there is no single singer you can point to. A delicate song has been spoiled. The aalaap by Shreya (when she joins Bhava) in the CD version is one of my favourite spots in that song, so I somehow patiently waited till Bhava finishes :), but to my shock, Shreya did not do it that well on stage!

Anyway, I think we should not get too serious about this and move on. We can just hope that they (all the artists) realise their mistakes and dont repeat them.

Also, I found the link for "Naan Thedum" song. Here it is. I am so glad coolgoose is changed to cooltoad! My office had blocked access to coolgoose! Let me see how far my honeymoon with cooltoad continues :)

http://as01.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=174294

To cheer you guys, check out this clip. Two chinese guys lipsyncing for an English song. Pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=Lb6eAnp0Yec

thanks,

Krishnan

thumburu
10th November 2005, 06:05 PM
HH did deviate from shruthi not just in one place but many esp in the song "enna solli".

app_engine
10th November 2005, 08:20 PM
"Anyway, I think we should not get too serious about this and move on. We can just hope that they (all the artists) realise their mistakes and dont repeat them."

...at least these `mistakes' prove that the concert was not a fake with CD being played and everybody `lip-sync-ing' or `acting as though they were playing instruments':-)

mr_karthik
10th November 2005, 09:53 PM
"Anyway, I think we should not get too serious about this and move on. We can just hope that they (all the artists) realise their mistakes and dont repeat them."

...at least these `mistakes' prove that the concert was not a fake with CD being played and everybody `lip-sync-ing' or `acting as though they were playing instruments':-)
:!: ... :?: .... :!:

Shankar
11th November 2005, 09:44 AM
>>>>>
Hariharans actions also may be because of that reason.
<<<<<

Nah...He tries to show off, and its quite obvious.

raja_fan
11th November 2005, 11:52 AM
Shankar,

You hit the bull's eye.
Hariharan was not sincere on the stage that day ! People come to these concerts to hear the songs in the original form but sung live. Not to hear the singer's own versions or damages !

So you will destroy the song to show that you are really singing, not acting ?? Rubbish reasons :)
SPB very well knows that IR would not like these things and behaved himself that day.

Sanjeevi
11th November 2005, 12:43 PM
Well said Shankar and raja-fan,

HH did not impress the audience as a great singer in the live concert.

TISK
11th November 2005, 08:20 PM
We all have heard and enjoyed the original songs in the movie and on the CD and it is natural for us to expect the same version on the stage too.

But, several singers have told me that as singers, they had to restrain themselves with the given version conceived by the MD at the recording, but as professionals, they do have their own version , given their musical talents, improvising on the original and many such singers choose and prefer to sing 'their' version at stage cocerts.

Sometmes, it clicks and sometimes may not!

More over, it is absolutely impossible to reproduce the original flavour on stage, given the various constraints, according to them.
I think what HH did was also similar to that and I don't blame him for that. He is entitled to that.

After all, if you want the original version, one can always listen to the CD!

vijayr
11th November 2005, 09:08 PM
"But, several singers have told me that as singers, they had to restrain themselves with the given version conceived by the MD at the recording"

More so, in the case of IR. SPB has mentioned it a few times.

thops
12th November 2005, 09:08 AM
// I watched the first part last week and will have to watch it again today to determine if it was a goof up or another imaginary invention. //

i hope you have had enough opportunities the past two days to watch it...and since you have not posted anything on this topic i assume you did figure out that HH goofed up...i understand if your ego does not permit you from accepting so in this forum...

//I dont remember HH and Saadhana making any embarassing mistakes like the one Shreya did. //

how does it it matter if it is embarassing or not...and whether you remember it or not doesnt really matter either...HH is far more experienced than Shreya, he sung songs which he has recorded before for IR...and how can he not know when to start singing his lines...i hope you are not giving excuses for HH's goofup just like i did for shreya's :-))...

//As for rating or determining goofs, I dont have to do it, the audience and IR did it in the show itself.//

well i was just pointing out what you did...i.e. rate the goofups in terms of blatancy...and the whole thing is a sliding scale...i dont really care about what IR or the audience think because you and me are the ones discussing this...BTW most of the audience here in this forum have expressed their disappoval of HH's performance in the concert in general, if at all it means anything...

//Also your earlier claim for HH being incompetent were based on his improvs which was clearly your preference and nothing to do with any singing goofups//

oh yes...i still think his improvs were incompetent...the goof ups just embellish the incompetence...

vijayr
12th November 2005, 11:36 AM
Thops, since you were missing in action here the past 2 days after my post, I did'nt reply further. But before you jump to any conclusions:

I did watch the programme again right now and IR clearly signals to HH to start singing at that point. HH starts off singing softly and then again sings the same words louder without even looking at IR. Clearly not any goofup on his part. If he had goofed he would have started singing loudly straightaway and wouldhave had to repeat it again. If you think that was a goofup you would have to blame IR the conductor, not HH.

"i hope you are not giving excuses for HH's goofup just like i did for shreya's "

definitely not, most of your allegations are imaginary, although I do agree that you are trying to hard to find excuses for Shreya. That you have agreed to doing it openly doesnt change anything.

".i dont really care about what IR or the audience think"

I do care, since we dont seem to agree, IR can be the standard of refernce here. The composer had to issue almost a public apology on Shreya's behalf and ask for the audience's forgiveness while the singer didnt even acknowledge her goof almost brushing it off aside playfully.

"well i was just pointing out what you did...i.e. rate the goofups in terms of blatancy...and the whole thing is a sliding scale"

thats fine, I wont feel bad for rating. After all evaluation is relative. If HH was incompetent because of his improvs(which you didnt like) then IR shouldnt even have been on the stage since he had one shruthi loss after another. Yet you would argue that his voice had "character" and what not. Even SPB wasnt flawless. Clearly off atleast in a couple of places.

"BTW most of the audience here in this forum have expressed their disappoval of HH's performance"

you dont care how what the entire audience reacted in that stadium, but you care about the opinions of 2 or 3 people here? funny.

"oh yes...i still think his improvs were incompetent"

keep thinking,that doesnt mean anything.It could probably mean your incompetence, as a listener :-)

thops
12th November 2005, 10:42 PM
// Clearly not any goofup on his part. If he had goofed he would have started singing loudly straightaway and wouldhave had to repeat it again. If you think that was a goofup you would have to blame IR the conductor, not HH. //

now you are saying IR is responsible for HH's screw up...why not just blame it on GOD...i thought you were the one who said one cannot give excuses for screwing up...

//keep thinking,that doesnt mean anything.It could probably mean your incompetence, as a listener//

appada...i was waiting for this...a very convenient exit strategy...nice try again...

vijayr
12th November 2005, 11:13 PM
"now you are saying IR is responsible for HH's screw up"

I didnt say that HH screwed up in the first place. I said IF you think that was a goof up then he was just following IR's hand signals. Lot of things go on stage. Many times the musicians themselves were interrupted or had to re-start following IR's hand singnals. does that mean the entire string section is incompetent?

"appada...i was waiting for this...a very convenient exit strategy...nice try again.."

exit strategy?!! what are you talking about? :-) you cant differentiate an improv from a goofup. even other DFers here who didnt like HH's improvs just mention that they dont like it, thats all. They never go ahead and call HH incompetent for his improvs. Its a matter of taste.

Incompetence is when you make obvious mistakes, like when you cant even read what you yourself have written on paper, thrice. Then, its not a matter of taste anymore.

Anyways, since you have yourself agreed earlier that u were just trying to find excuses for Shreya's goofup, we'll stop it here, because you seem to have run out of excuses.

thops
13th November 2005, 06:10 AM
looks like you are back on the hwy...next exit is after 1 mile...at the speed you are going it is going to take forever...

kingvj
13th November 2005, 08:54 AM
Shall we call a 'naattaamai' and ask him to maathify his theerpu? You guys are going hammer and tongs at each other..!!! :-)

vijayr
13th November 2005, 10:05 PM
I guess you never even made it to the highway in the first place, to make that assessment :-)

thops
14th November 2005, 09:31 AM
kingvj, neenge forumukku pudhusaa...this is probably the mildest of fights happening in forumhub...but probably the first shreya vs hari"the incompetent"haran...

vijayr...enjoy the ride...

krish244
14th November 2005, 01:48 PM
kingvj, inga theerpukku'dhan sandaiye....adhukku appuram maathi vera sollanuma :) As thops asks, are you new to this forum?

BTW, I completely missed yesterday's (13th) installment of IR's concert on Jaya TV. The only glimpse that I got was when IR was saying something (my house was full of people y'day, so audio was not clear) to HH (about a raga???) and HH responded with an alaap. It was good & I liked it. I have not heard it before. This was just before the instrument piece (dham...dham..dham...(Olangal)). I was able to listen to most of this instrumental piece aswell. But there was lot of noise in my house, so I could not enjoy it that well.

Any reports on yesterday's installment? Was it the last one?

thanks,

Krishnan

thumburu
14th November 2005, 02:16 PM
Hi Krishnan, yes that was the last part of the instalment. The "3 note piece" was a clear winner among y'day's goodies and which deservedly bagged thunderous applause.
Especially the charanam of this piece was a pleasant surprise with a great flow.
HH's "kaapi" raga Hindusthani alaap b4 "thumbi vaa" was apt. I would have liked "thumbi vaa" in its original without the "dham dham"s . MadhuBalakrishnan sounded quite uneasy in KJY's songs. Last but not the least, Shivamani rocked with his rythms gymnastics providing the fitting finale.

rajdes
14th November 2005, 05:56 PM
On this whole HH fiasco, I guess it is just *taste*. To the classically inclined, there could have been nothing wrong with his performance. He didn't lose key, did nothing that can be classified as 'incompetent'.
However, to anyone who sees these songs just as *film music*(and therefore linked to certain emotions and situations), HH was bound to be jarring. For example, his improvisations on "Ennai Thaalatta" made it sound as if he is making fun of someone (the twist on varuvaalo was less like yearning and more like "aiye!inna vanduduvala!Somma gamnu kida!idhaiyellam pattu padihcunu keeriyae" kind of emotion. Ofcourse, this sort of thing cannot be articulated as easily as a loss of key, loss of tempo or inaccurate pronounciation.Which is why people are finding it difficult to refute vijay.
IR, as vijay said, was noticeably off key and lost tempo, shruthi and what not right through the concert at various places. But guess what? Who cares?!!! Except classical purists like vijay. (vijay, hope you dont take it as a slur -I mean it as a compliment!). We have to accomodate that point of view as well because hey its music, finally.It will be judged on its faithfulness to the classical form, as well.(As vijay said, in this concert, IR's strong point of emoting beautifully was also not really visible)
In the context of this concert, IR's mistakes didnt jar on me. It was just enough that he was performing and enjoying it himself(infact, I had actually believed that this concert wouldnt really help him and posted that view here but it changed after seeing the concert - if nothing else, IR must have taken back a positive feeling that people will appreciate his innovations even in TN - I just hope it reflects in his creative process) A vast majority fo the fans were enjoying as well so no regrets, really from anyone's POV.

Raghu
14th November 2005, 07:01 PM
Dear All,

Yesterday I saw a program called 'Andrum Indrum Endrum' by Dr.IR on Jeya TV, has anyone seen it?

It featured Greatest Legendary Singers like Dr.SPB, KS.Chitra and included other singers like P.Jeyachandran, Hariharan, Mano, Vijay Yesudas, Swarnalatha, Shreya G, Sadhana Sargam, Bhavatharani, etc

The opening song was by Dr.IR by him self, guess what the song was, 'Janani Janani' by Dr.IR, man ppl cried of enjoyment, me too, It sent Shivers down my spinal cord, cha I wish I was there!

Parthipan was conducting the show, as soon as he said, 'I call Mr.S.P.Balasubhramanium', before he even finished , the crowd were screaming out loud, thunderous applause, whistles, etc etc, it went on for abt 1-2 mins, it was ONLY Dr.IR and DR.SPB who recieved such welcome, SPB sang amazing songs like 'Mantram vantha thendraluku' , 'Pothi vaicha maligai mottu', 'Sundari kannal', etc, SPB and IR huged each other with great affection, man what a treat for the ears.

KSC sang ever green song, Yethetho enam from Punahai mannan, then PJ sang awsome number like 'Raasathi unnai', and then Mano sang 'Shenbahame shenbhame', man I Mano was a terrible choice for this, really ! then Hari sang songs like 'Enai thaalata varuvala', etc etc

Has any one seen it, if so post ur views

thumburu
14th November 2005, 07:02 PM
rajdes, theerpu solla enna avasaramo? any kickbacks ? :)
Losing shruthi is a binary factor , whether 'yes' or 'no' and I have already registered my take on HH .It was just not his day . IR's singing is well known and nothing new. He pretended to concentrate on conducting the orchestra to cover up his pitfalls.
I really missed some of the golden female voices esp SJ/VJ/PS/KJY [curse the ageing]. Wanted to have more of SPB [who doesn't want to?]
RVU recounted an interesting incident with IR just before the show. IR asked RVU the reason for his crestfallen look outside the recording theatre just before a song recording . The orchestra, singers etc were all ready to commence the job. RVU collected all his courage and dared tell IR that he was unhappy with his tune as he felt it did not fit into the situation perfectly.IR instantly shot up with anger as to why RVU had to point this out at the last moment after the score sheets were distributed to the orchestra and they were getting ready for the "take". Then after an afterthought, IR asked RVU to again narrate the situation. IR listened intently and composed the song in 20 minutes . RVU was happy with the song and got it recorded immediately. Thus was born the evergreen "muthu mani maalai" from ChinnaKounder

rajdes
14th November 2005, 07:39 PM
thumburu :-).
Obviously, whatever I post is my opinion. I dont think I have ever argued that "rabbit I caught has 3 legs" here. Yeah, "here" means tfmpage because I have done that elsewhere in my life :-)

Kickbacks? Hmm...nadathungappa - I have no love lost with vijay as you can see in other threads nor do I have any hate lost with vijay(please vijay note:-)). I just post my opinions and in this case, I think both of you are right in your own ways - just trying to point out the other side to both of you - yeah, this is my failing or strength - I always try to empathise with everyone's point of view and can see that truth is infact multi-layered - the only thing we can seek is to try and get enough points of view so that we can see as large a picture as possible :-). .( Note the "try to" and please refrain from pointing out some post of mine where I failed in doing this :-))
Again, for all I know, vijay may come up with some other explanation for his opinion

rajdes
14th November 2005, 07:42 PM
For the record, thumburu, I agree with you that it wasnt HH's day - he made some attempts to improvise and enhance the show but he failed IMO. I think the reactions here in this thread echo that. HH's failures need not be linked to Shreya's mistakes - which the crowd did disapprove of clearly. That doesnt mean that the crowd approved HH overwhelmingly - idhu romba obvious so I dont think anyone is disputing this fact.

14th November 2005, 07:44 PM
Raghu panchayathukku romba late-a vandhutaaru :)

This is definitely a first for tfmpage, debating over a concert performance. On the tfmpage forum, anything's possible :)

vijayr
14th November 2005, 10:18 PM
rajdes, I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I am not a big fan of HH's improvs myself(but that doesnt make him incompetent like you said). Its a matter of taste and thats what I was trying to tell Thops earlier, whereas Shreya's mistake(not once, but thrice) was'nt a matter of taste.

prabhudas
15th November 2005, 08:42 AM
Finally happened to watch the 2 parts from archieves and third part live from Jaya TV
( thro' NUMTV)

What can I say,
I wish I was in Chennai during the concert,
God make Mottai have a concert here in US keep him and us alive till it happens

"Sundari Kannal" (oru) " song was enough for me worth entire NUMTV subscription.

SPB, Chitra were the best, Shreya was not bad except for sodappifying the "theduthey" in "Kaatril endhan" song.
Personally I like her voice, the 3 in one telugu version was very nice too by Shreya, I was hoping SPB to join her and sing the Telugu version.
Hariharan, stole more songs, unfortunately , I should say, I never liked his improvs anyway on the stage, atleast was happy that he did less of this than what I saw him do in ARR concerts. Only good thing about HH was the Kaapi aalap before the Olangal orchestration was better than the aalap we hear by IR in the Italy Concert CD.

Karthik and Thipu did well in their respective songs, IR looked like he was constraining Thipu during " Unnai vida" song

Nothing much to tell about Bhava as usual,

Orchestra was great in pretty much every song , mind boggling in "Sendhoora Poove" especially since IR agian made them do it few times ( wished this song in entireity, but since it was Bhava who sang , was happy it ended in the middle)

Arunmozhi was the champion, just fantastic in every song he played with umpteen number of flutes he used
I don't know if IR was pretending to conduct or pretending to cover up, knowing his style , probably he was micromanaging most of the times ( either because that's how is or he wanted to show how he is in a live concert)

SPB could have sung the telugu version of "Oh Priya priya" as opposed to Mano's tamil super dud version ( I started hating Mano after his massacre of this song in Tamil version)

My personal list of songs which I always wanted in my imaginary IR concert ,
1. Poomaalaiye thol sera vaa.... just for the mere orchestration and on the same note I am not sure how good a justice IR might have done with his live rendition)

2. Ilaiya nila ......why ....why and why edho lifetime le oru murai idhu maadhiri live concert aagumpodhu , why IR didn't have SPB sing this live

3. Any one song from "Panneer Pushpangal" ( except the vengaya saamabarum..obviously), preferably "Poondhaliraada...)

many more in the list, but these three gems would have been terrific,
Some non tamil songs could have been good too
I wish more elder/senior singers like PS, SJ,VJ, and MV were there to sing atleast 1 best song of each of them... (yes in my dream only)

Shivmani was good as usual, for some reasons, Mottaiy was kind of looking uneasy at the end trying to either tell him to stop or something and SP and group just started singing abruptly "isai thaan engal Vaazkai" ( that was my perception, I could be wrong)

As usual, Bharathiraja made his usual speech to teh extent people are getting annoyed.

kamal's speech was OK, It was just unbelievable how IR "cycle gap le" tried to clarify Kamal's statement right immediately about having an exclusive Live concert from Kamal - IR combo films with kamal's singing.

Haa.... Haa.. now comes the best part as how many celebrities were proud to make their heart felt love, addiction, and what not to Mottaiy's music from Vaali to G Thyagarajan ( it was really funny how G Thyagarajan was almost pleading them literally to sing "kannae Kalaimaane" song from their home production "Moonram Pirai").

Suhasini went to the extent of telling, how proud she is in being a Tamilachi, just because IR happens to be Tamilian....ohooo....call it Jalra what ever it is and yes keep it comin.....

Prabhudas

rajdes
15th November 2005, 11:41 AM
vijayr, I understood your POV clearly yesterday itself. As I said, I am just pointing out to you that from another angle, the angle I outlined, HH could be perceived to have been incompetent because his improv.'s destroyed the soul of the song. It just didnt fit in with the emotions of the song. Are you saying that , in your opinion,HH wasnt incompetent from that angle as well? (ie) do you believe that HH's rendition did complete justice to the songs' emotion and situation?

On an unconnected note, one song I hated purely because of HH was "Uyire" from Bombay. Somehow, it just didnt gel with me and the problem was that I liked the song for all other reasons :-)

rajdes
15th November 2005, 11:43 AM
More than in Unnai Vida, IR was restraining Karthik in the rendition of one song( I dont remember which) that Karthik sang along with YSR. YSR was pathetic and I think IR realised that and was trying to rein in Karthik just so that YSR's incompetence is not thoroughly exposed. That it was clearly exposed is another story.
Another thing I forgot to mention earlier was that "KR and YSR suck as singers", even as chorus singers, as was evident from their chorus for Janani Janani.

alwarpet_andavan
15th November 2005, 01:15 PM
My personal list of songs which I always wanted in my imaginary IR concert ,
1. Poomaalaiye thol sera vaa.... just for the mere orchestration and on the same note I am not sure how good a justice IR might have done with his live rendition)

2. Ilaiya nila ......why ....why and why edho lifetime le oru murai idhu maadhiri live concert aagumpodhu , why IR didn't have SPB sing this live

3. Any one song from "Panneer Pushpangal" ( except the vengaya saamabarum..obviously), preferably "Poondhaliraada...)

Absolutely! Those and a few more, but i guess he can't make everyone happy :)

Shivmani was good as usual, for some reasons, Mottaiy was kind of looking uneasy at the end trying to either tell him to stop or something and SP and group just started singing abruptly "isai thaan engal Vaazkai" ( that was my perception, I could be wrong)

Shivamani was great inspite of the poor sound quality, esp early on in the show where his drums could hardly be heard.
IR was looking uneasy and tried to "mellow down" Shivamani in his Olangal "Mood Kaapi" rendition [Wonder why he did that]. In the final "Veetukku" piece, he gave the reins to Shivamani and it was Shivamani's song all the way. In fact, we could see IR applauding SM without restraint in
a) "Ninnukkori Varnam" 2nd interlude. Superb improvisation by SM in the bass drum
b) The whole of SM's thani avarthanam in the final piece.
Yeah, the "isai dhaan engal vazhkai" sounded abrupt and out of place.

netfriend4u2005
15th November 2005, 01:17 PM
prabhudas
Junior Hubber

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:12 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally happened to watch the 2 parts from archieves and third part live from Jaya TV
( thro' NUMTV)

What can I say,
I wish I was in Chennai during the concert,
God make Mottai have a concert here in US keep him and us alive till it happens

"Sundari Kannal" (oru) " song was enough for me worth entire NUMTV subscription.

SPB, Chitra were the best, Shreya was not bad except for sodappifying the "theduthey" in "Kaatril endhan" song.
Personally I like her voice, the 3 in one telugu version was very nice too by Shreya, I was hoping SPB to join her and sing the Telugu version.
Hariharan, stole more songs, unfortunately , I should say, I never liked his improvs anyway on the stage, atleast was happy that he did less of this than what I saw him do in ARR concerts. Only good thing about HH was the Kaapi aalap before the Olangal orchestration was better than the aalap we hear by IR in the Italy Concert CD.

Karthik and Thipu did well in their respective songs, IR looked like he was constraining Thipu during " Unnai vida" song
=====================================

I don't think Raaja Sir was constraining Thipu. As far as my knowledge goes, he made him to smooth his voice to suit Kamals voice . I don't have much musical knowledge, except listening ti music only. Tippus voice was not proper in the beginging, but as Raaja controlled it, even Tippu acknowleged it with asmile when he sounded almost like original later.

karthik_sa2
15th November 2005, 07:23 PM
can anybody tell me where i cud download the song "naan porandhu vandhadhu" from "mayabazar 1995

njv
16th November 2005, 01:12 AM
I don't have much musical knowledge, except listening ti music only. Tippus voice was not proper in the beginging, but as Raaja controlled it, even Tippu acknowleged it with asmile when he sounded almost like original later.
:thumbsup:

hope the "musically knowledged ears" just listen to the song the way it is than finding fault.

kingvj
20th November 2005, 08:02 AM
To answer the folks having a panchaayathu or 'friendly firing' or whatever, I've been a regular visitor to this site since the last 5 years or so. When the site got migrated, I re-signed up late due to official constraints on bandwidth and net access restrictions. Now that everything cleared up, I've started posting again.

Funny that my name appears as newbie. Never mind..!

kingvj
20th November 2005, 08:12 AM
I hope that the folks noted how the audience applauded on these occasions.

1. During the second interlude in 'Sundari Kannaal' song, when the whole drums-trumphets-violin combo reaches a higher octave and the flute-bass violin combo takes over (just before the second charanam starts).

2. The starting bass flute of 'aasaya kaathula thoodhu vittu'.

It was great to be a part of the live audience. Some folks sitting in front of me went hysteric when IR finished his 'Thiruvasagam' bit.

Jilaba
22nd November 2005, 12:49 PM
I also watched that programme in jaya T.V.

But I think the praising here are 'overdosed' in this thread.

Nowadays even ordinaery orchestras are doing fine and fentastic live concerts.

Sanjeevi
22nd November 2005, 05:10 PM
I also watched that programme in jaya T.V.

But I think the praising here are 'overdosed' in this thread.

Nowadays even ordinaery orchestras are doing fine and fentastic live concerts.

Country of Vijyala iruntheengana ippadi than pesuveenga :lol:

Sanjeevi
22nd November 2005, 05:12 PM
Ilayaraja takes a well earned vacation November 21, 2005

Isaignani Ilayaraja has traditionally spent his Diwali at his village in Pannaipuram. He would pay homage to his mother at her samadhi there before participating in the festivities.

This year however happened to be the Thalai deepavali for his son, Yuvan Shankar Raja and daughter Bavatharini. And he was also deeply engrossed in work. Therefore, he spent the day in Chennai. Now that the work related to his projects is over, he has taken off to Pannaipuram. He will be spending a few days in the rustic village setting. Besides, he has also planned to conduct a mega music program in Kerala as he did in Chennai recently. The Chennai concert was a big hit.

http://www.behindwoods.com/features/News/News39/21-11-05/tamil-movies-news-ilayaraja.html

netfriend4u2005
23rd January 2006, 01:12 PM
Hi, What happened to the DVD of Chennai concert? There is no update for long. Last update was that it will be cleared for DVD release by Java TV. After that????????

Vysar
23rd January 2006, 11:17 PM
I downloaded the DVD rip from a torrent site.

Sanjeevi
23rd January 2006, 11:32 PM
what????

Vysar
23rd January 2006, 11:51 PM
yes it is available here

http://www.tmstorrents.com/showthread.php?t=11674

doraip
26th January 2006, 03:39 AM
Vyasar,

Could you email me the zip file to manulogics@yahoo.com.

The torrent site would not allow me to register.

Kind regards,
Dorai

svaisn
26th February 2006, 09:19 AM
Not able to download

can anyobne help me plkease

aruvi
25th March 2006, 03:46 AM
I am not sure if I have posted earlier about my take on the concert. I watched it recently.

I skipped the video bit of IR's bio and all the speeches. So just on the songs.

IR - Started off shaky in Janani but regained balance and did the song well. It was a nice moment seeing father and sons on stage together. Personally, I prefer not to listen to IR sing. There are some songs, that work alright with him. But on the whole, even though he may want to hear himself sing(I noticed his comments for Thiruvasagam Album), I think a large portion of the population would rather he give the chance to others so that the songs will have better repeat value. I must admit though, with the likes of YSR/ARR/Deva and every other MDs I hear, IR doesn't put me off as much as he did before. Even so, I wish he had kept his own performances to a minimum and showcased some wonderful songs others sang for him. Namely, SPB in albums like Payanangal Mudivathillai, Nizhalgal etc.

SPB - As always, great and I keep wondering how he can always praise others so humbly and even mention his own acheivements with such humility. Age has not yet affected his singer, though I noticed that there were changes made to Mandram Vantha.

Hariharan - For some reason, I rarely like him on stage. I skipped almost all his songs after a while, I think.

Sadna Sargam - Was very good. More than her own songs, I enjoyed her rendition of Shenbagame Shenbagame. I did not even feel that she wasn't the original singer. She hit every note right and expression right.

Shreya Ghosal - Ouch! All I can say is that she really is a very expressive singer. She got the emotions right, be it Virumandi song or Kaatril. But pronunciations killed Kaatril. Otherwise, she did do well, though I didn't know why she was waving her hands around some other antics that didn't make sense. Maybe, that's how IR teaches songs to people the younger generation. But apart from that, I have to say that Shreya has a really nice voice and is quite talented.

Chitra - Look at End.

Bhavatharani - I saw singer Sujatha in the audience. I wonder why IR need patronize his daughter so much that he would put her on stage and insult the audience when a fine singer like Sujatha was present in the audience. I would have gladly listened to Sujatha's songs for IR. She's had some good hits with him. Even otherwise, I would rather have seen her sing Janaki's numbers. I am sure that she would have done a much better job than Bhavatharani. Not only was S.Janaki not part of IR's biggest concert in TN, but she was insulted by having her work teared by Bhavatharani. IR, give chances to Swarnalatha, Manjari, Shreya, Mahati etc., but please, send Bhavatharani to learn to sing before you actually put her on stage to perform. Cutting and pasting will do fine in studios. But on stage? The biggest insult to female singers was her winning the national award. The only song that came out good with her on stage was Oliyilae, and that was largely due to Karthik. He hit it perfect, be it notes, expressions or his stage presence.

Karthik - Already mentioned him above. Nothing much left to say. Unfortunately, I couldn't bear the idea of listening to YSR(kasta kaalam) sing on stage, so I skipped the bit where Karthik sang with him. But I might not be wrong if I say that Karthik is how SPB probably was when he was in his 20's.

Manjari - I had no idea who she was until this show. She was pretty good. Too bad, I don't enjoy IR's voice, so I couldn't get too well into the songs she sang. The stage rendition of Naan Thedum lacked the Janaki punch and briskness of the original. Still, I love this song, so was happy with the encore. Also, enjoyed IR's throw-ons in the encore.

Mano - After a long time. He was really good. I liked his performance throughout. I think that he sang just 2 songs, but he did them as well as they were on cassette.

Swarnalatha - She did really well. I haven't seen her in so many years, in the media or stage shows. Still looks the same and sings well. She looked like she was struggling to hit the right pitches, though she got everything right. I suppose that's just the way she sings, because the voice came out perfectly for each note, expression etc. I liked her in Aathadi(SJ's song) and Maasi Maasam. I don't really listen to new songs, so don't know if she is present in them much, but I think that her being overshadowed by new singers show just how easily we can lose very talented singers.

Uma Ramanan - Highly underrated singer. How effortlessly she matched the notes and expressions of her classic hits. Reminded me so much of Janaki's stage singing. Absolutely no strain in her face for anything. And her voice is still the same as ever. Both her songs were a treat to listen too.

Vijay Yesudas - He was alright. I don't like to compare father and son. Vijay has a good soothing voice, though the gambeeram in his father's voice is not their yet. He did his part well though. He looked very at ease on stage, which was another good thing.

Jeyachandran - I love Rasathi song. On stage, the orchestra was excellent. But I felt the emotions in the original was missing.

Madhu Balakrishna - Was very good. Actually, one would thing that he was Yesudas's successor. His voice was more like Yesudas, and he hit every pitch, note and expression right for "Aaagaya Vennilaave". I loved this songs reproduction.

Thippu - Engayo Thappu:-). He seemed to be very nervous singing on stage with IR there. I have never seen him singing on stage, so maybe I might be wrong. To be truthful, the singing talent of the younger lot is not much to talk about, when they are not in the studio. So can't judge one way or other. But the song was okay.

Chithra - With S. Janaki not being present, everyone must admit at least now, that Chithra was the best female singer in the concert:-) For once, I think I am not going to have bricks thrown at me by fellow dbers. Chithra just keeps getting better with time.

Ethetho Ennam - One of my personal favourites. But the mike was muted. Even then, I loved her rendition and the audience seemed to agree with me. This is one of her best early songs, where everything worked in perfect harmony to bring a great song.

Pothi Vacha Malligai - Wow! Normally, I feel that SJankaki's songs can't be reproduced by others as well(though, in this show, even Shreya got the mood right for Kaatril). As Chithra once said, every pitch and expression is different when SJ sings. Especially, her numbers for IR are like that:-) I had once heard Chithra sing "maankuyile poonkuyile" for GA's show, and was not much impressed. But in Pothi Vacha, I felt that Chithra sounded so good that she eclipsed SJ. The stage reproduction was just great. Even my family members tuned in for this song and kept humming it. I was never fond of it when I heard it on tape or saw it on video. One of the few youthful romantic songs sung. You could see the quick change in Chithra's reaction(shy smile)once the second stanza started and she realized what she was singing. It was also funny to see SPB trying to rub IR's back:-) I enjoyed their friendly on stage interaction.

Sundari - Another great reproduction. I liked this song as well. I think Chithra's voice keeps getting better with age. She sounded wonderful and hit all the notes perfectly. Janaki has a soprano voice and Chithra's is more of a Semi-alto(?), so going through all those ranges without straining herself shows her talent. SPB was great as well, I don't need to say anything about him:-)

Oh Priya Priya - Again, a nice reproduction. Mano was very good. Chithra was excellent. This was probably the hardest reproduction as far as voice control. She has to go through so many ranges in pitch. And it was all perfectly done. I am wondering about the time the artists had to rehearse songs. Both Chithra and Mano looked somewhat nervous when they began singing and I noted that they were concentrating hard on getting everything right. Smile at the end of the song from both artists. Must have been relieved. Orchestra had a lot more to do in this song, and it sounded great. Loved the chorus singing bit, just because it has been so long since I have seen interactions between main singers and chorus.

Paadariyean Padipariyean - What can I right about this song? It's been written of so much. A bit slower than the original, but a great rendition. I should hunt for the violin player:-), wasn't amused with the error. There are some songs like this, that are just so great to hear because of their simple complexities(?!), that it's upsetting to hear the mistakes.

Ninnukori Varnam - Another perfect rendition, though there were changes in the instrumentation. What was all the smiling on stage about? Both Chithra and IR kept looking somewhere, and at one point, she seemed to shift the pace to suit tempo. Kept seeing Shivamani. On that note, I must say that I was suprised IR did not include Raja, Raajathi Raja from the same movie. It could have given the percussion players some more work:-)

I wasn't too fond of the choice of songs. Especially the new ones. There was no need for Hariharan or Shreya to be up on the stage more frequently than SPB, especially for the audience that was there. What about SPB's classic hits for IR? Even Mano had some memorable songs. Hariharan, barring Ennai Thalatta Varuvala, didn't have that many memorable hits with IR. Note, I am saying memorable hits, not hit songs.

Somehow, it seemed that the songs seemed to cater the VIPs that were there. I didn't much like that either. Songs from Kamal and Maniratnam's movies were played more.

So on the whole, I would definitely recommend this show just to see IR at work on stage and his songs being sung.

I heard that he plans to do the show in other countries. I have been keeping an eye out for any news of him coming to Canada. It will definitely be one of th most memorable events in my life, for I would definitely be there.

Sidenote: SPB/SJ/Chitra have a show in Toronto in on April 15. The best Tamil New Year gift possible for me:-)

njv
25th March 2006, 03:59 AM
Sidenote: SPB/SJ/Chitra have a show in Toronto in on April 15. The best Tamil New Year gift possible for me:-)
can u post the details. if VV is not releasing, i will probably attend this.

svaisn
25th March 2006, 04:11 AM
Can some one provide s with some link...

to watch this concert online.... p[leaseeeeee

aruvi
25th March 2006, 04:33 AM
The show is called "Ponmaalai Poluthu". It is on April 15th at 5:00pm. Ricoh Colliseum(about 8000 capacity?)at CNE grounds, Toronto.

SPB, SJ, Chithra, Madhu Balakrishna, and 2 other singers. It's going to be compered by the the guy who used to compere Lalithavin Paattuku Paatu(sorry, forget his name).

Tickets prices range for $20 to $30, I believe, for adults. And for children $15-$10.

I have seen ads for the show in most Tamil stores in TO and in the Tamil Newspapers. Not sure which ones though, just glanced at them. You may want to check into it for exact facts.

njv
25th March 2006, 05:43 AM
thanks aruvi.

prabhudas
2nd April 2006, 11:40 PM
Anybody know if there is any concert by this group in USA, if they are in Canada, I wonder why there is none in USA,
ayyo, idhu aerkanave theriyam poyiduche.....Toronto vukke plan panniruppaene..
NJV write to us if u know anything
Prabhudas

gvicky
3rd April 2006, 11:17 AM
[tscii:f99cde7126]Dear Friends,

I am in the process of uploading the IR's Andrum Indrum Endrum Live Concert held in Chennai during October last year for the benefit of all our Maestro's fans. The video files (songs) are in MP4 format and can be played with DIVX Players / Windows media players with necessary codecs installed. I will try to upload 1 or 2 songs per day and give the links.

I am giving below the download links for 6 songs, which I have uploaded so far. Download and Enjoy..

Introduction Music

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=a7300be26efb6afdc1d843c0

Janani Janani

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=50cc0ab0017dd35c43d45fc9

Mandram vandha – mp4

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=2120f3688deaee4815027db6

Enna Solli paduvatho:

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=9598ac3ea5fa889db0e6cf9c

Ennai thalata

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=7feea707015e5a4d3f741bf3

Mayil Pola

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=d4fc410266215b4fd1333d40

Long live IR.

With regards
GG Vicky
[/tscii:f99cde7126]

gvicky
3rd April 2006, 02:16 PM
Friends,

I have today uploaded three wonderful songs (videos) for you, from Maestro's Live Concert. The links are :

Katril Endhan Geetham - Shreya Ghoshal

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=53282c7fed4476b0128567c9

Edhedho Ennam - Chithra

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=f538240363a46c365d02be33

Naan thedum Sevvanthipoo - Maestro (including the 'Once More' part)

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=9409f2ba639c17ce8d31ff2c

All the songs are converted by me from the VCR tape recorded from Jaya TV program.

Download and enjoy...

Thanks and regards

GG Vicky