PDA

View Full Version : Maheshwar Bhakthas - 63 Nayanmargal

Raghu
2nd September 2005, 08:57 PM
Dear all,

Shall we all discuss about the 63 Nayanmargal, and their devotion towords Parameshwar. It would be great if intellectuals like Sudhama Sir, Balaji anNe, Viggop anNe badri anNe discuss about the great Nayanmarghal, like Apar, Suntharar, Thirunavakuarasar, Thiru gnana sambhanthar, .. to all 64 of these Saiva Bhaktha's.

It would be great if discuss each of these swamighal in a structured way, one at a time, so I kindly request some one to start with Thiru gnanan sambhanthar, please.

Om NamaShivaya

viggop
2nd September 2005, 10:00 PM
THirugnanaSampandhar was born in Sirkhazhi(then known as brahmapuri).
His father had left the baby near a tank and had gone to do pujas.Then, the baby cried for milk.Parvathi devi herself breastfed the baby(gave gnana pal). when father returned, he saw milk on the baby's lips and asked him whi gave the milk.gnanasampandhar pointed to Shiva and parvathi but the father could not see them.Gnana sampandhar sang the song "Tholudaya Seviyan" to describe what he is seeing.It is the first song in Thirumarai.

He was a friend of appar and he participated in many debates against the jain monks and defeated them.Hence , people came back to Hindu religion.He passed away when he was 16 years old during his marriage ceremony. The mandapam caught fire and it is said the entire people attending the marruage got moksham.

within the short span of 16 years he is supposed to have composed a lot of songs.A musical prodigy and a good scholar in debate.many miracles are attributed to him.

viggop
2nd September 2005, 10:03 PM
Raghu
Can you please remove this poll you have started? i feel it is not right.Thanks

S.Balaji
3rd September 2005, 01:12 PM
[tscii:5a99beacdc]Dear Raghu,

Another feather to your Cap… Great …. Looking forward to very informative postings from learned Dfers…

[/tscii:5a99beacdc]

S.Balaji
3rd September 2005, 01:17 PM
[tscii:12a925f67d]
Dear Raghu,

Great thread…. One suggestion…. As there were 63 great characters…. I WISH WE TAKE UP PERSON BY PERSON AND FOLLOW THAT SEQUENCE….

Also, Viggop is right. we should not do any polling….
[/tscii:12a925f67d]

S.Balaji
3rd September 2005, 01:20 PM
[tscii:d1a26553cb]Raghu,

It must be 63 ….. not 64…………….
[/tscii:d1a26553cb]

S.Balaji
3rd September 2005, 01:32 PM
[tscii:9be411d8e7]

Must have lived during the early years of the seventh century AD That Sambandar is a contemporary of Appar and Siruttondar, otherwise known as Parañjotiyar, is evident from the legend in the Periyapuranam. We know Paranjötiyar was the Commander-in-chief of the Pallava King Narasimha Varnian I who distinguished himself against the Chãlukyas. According to inscriptional evidence, Narasimhavarman I succeeded Mãhêndravarman I in A.D. 630 and continued his rule to A.D. 660. Thus the age of Sambandar must be looked for sometime in the middle of the seventh century A.D.

The town of Siyãli in Tanjore District is recorded by tradition as a Noah's Ark. When the whole world was submerged under a great deluge, this was the only spot which was not affected by the waters of the flood. Hence its well-known name Tonipuram (literally Boat city). Besides, other names are given to the same city. In this ancient town of Sivãli was born Tirugna-sambandar. He was a Brahmin by caste. When he was three years old, his father took him to the temple tank, placed him on the bank and went for a bath. Perhaps feeling lonely the child cried ‘mama’, ‘ papa’, when Lord Siva and His Consort appeared before him and consoled him, Pärvati giving him milk of wisdom. When his parent saw him thus drinking milk out of a golden bowl and questioned the child as to who gave it to him, the boy pointed to the distant temple, and sang in praise of the Lord.

Thenceforward he became a great and devout bhakta. It was the desire of the youngster to visit places sacred to the Lord Siva. His father yielded to his wishes and took him from one place to the other always carrying him on his shoulder. As befits a dvija, his upanayanam ceremony was performed. He then visited many a place of pilgrimage and established his reputation by miracles. In the course of his religious tour, he met Appar at Tiruvilimilalai near Mãyavaram and helped to relieve the famine stricken people there. Both Swãmijis then proceeded to Vedãranyam where an invitation came to them from the Pãndyan Queen and Minister to visit their capital Madura, especially as the king was under the influence of the Samanas. Leaving Appar at Vëdãranyam, Sambandar repaired to Madura. With the connivance of the King, the Samanas set fire to the residence of Sambandar with no effect. When this was brought to the notice of the Swãmiji, he cursed the Pãndyan King to be attacked with burning fever. The Samanas tried all their resources to effect a cure, but with no success. At last the king prayed to Sambandar to relieve him of his fell disease, which he immediately did. Then an assembly by both Saivas and Samnas was convened to establish the superiority of either sect. After a number of tests in which the Samanas had an inglorious defeat, Saivism was accepted as the true religion by the king.

After this, Sambandar set out on pilgrimage and visited many places preaching and singing and working miracles until he came back to his native home. There he responded to the wishes of his father and consented to get himself married in the old Vedic style. But at the very early age of sixteen the revered Swãmiji became one with the Holy of Holies. This ãcãrya is generally taken to have flourished in the first half of the seventh century. To the same period belongs Appar Swamigal who was a contemporary of Sambandar. While the latter’s collection of hymns forms the first three Holy books (Tirumurai), Appar’s are the next three Holy books of the Thevaram.

Sambandar praises the little town of Tönipuram by twelve different names. For every name he sings one stanza, each one of these stanzas consisting of the same lines repeated four times. The ordinary reader who sees only the surface is apt to think that this repetition is but for the sake of greater emphasis and nothing more. But it should be understood that the whole thing is pitched in a high key and the repetition has a mystic force and hidden meaning and produces a wonderfully powerful effect.

The four lines of each stanza which admit of different interpretations would not produce the intended effect, namely, to bring out the full force and significance, if rendered in any other medium than the ancient Tamil language, and hence would not be of much interest to the common reader. Under these circumstances we refrain from any elaborate exposition of these stanzas. But it may be noted here that the language is mystic or as stated at the outset, mysticism here is of the formal kind.[/tscii:9be411d8e7]

viggop
3rd September 2005, 01:35 PM
Balaji
Seikizhar's sivapuranam mentioned 63.But, it did not mention Manicavasagar name at all.SO, some scholars argue that manicavasagar was born after 10th century etc. while some scholars put his date at 7th century AD.

Gnanasampandhar went to a lot of places and composed padhikams.He even composed songs on Lord Shiva's temple at thiriconamalai(anglicised as Trincomalee) in Sri Lanka standing in Rameshwaram.
So, it means there were Tamils in Sri Lanka atleast by 6th century AD and they had knowledge to build temples of Lord Shiva. So, Tamil people might have moved to Sri Lanka long before 6th century AD.

viggop
3rd September 2005, 01:41 PM
Pandya queen was Mangayarkarasi.She was also a devout shiva bhaktha and is also considered as a nayanmar.I dont think it was sampandhar who will curse the king to become sick.
It was sampandhar who called "Thirunavukarasar" by the name "appar"(a father).That is because sampandhar was a kid and appar was quite old enough to be his father.

Gnanasampandhar will come to present day chennai(mayilapur etc.). he is said to have broght back a dead girl to life in mayilapur

viggop
3rd September 2005, 01:44 PM
Gnanasampandhar is also known as "AludaipPillai". Can anyone please tell me how he got this name?

S.Balaji
3rd September 2005, 02:26 PM
[tscii:5955969f64]The place where Sambandhar got married is called … AACHAALPURAM… Its very close to Mayiladuthurai………I understand, even now, every year… one family performs… the marriage day as a small festival…..and also the Upanayanam function…. Religiously…..[/tscii:5955969f64]

S.Balaji
3rd September 2005, 02:36 PM
[tscii:672ae2a769]
This site below gives some idea about Seegazhi and the great temple..

http://www.templenet.com/Tamilnadu/s088.html

Having mentioned about Sambandhar and also Thonipuram … Seergazi… I thought it will be relevant to mention about the temple also… The temple is somewhat peculiar… On top of the temple.. there is a sannadhi for SATTANATHAR….

Worth visiting… the township of Seegazi itself is very very ancient… The temple of Thiruthoniappar / Sattanathar / Bramapureeshwar….. its being called in several names…

But most devotees throng to this temple mainly to have a dharshan of Lord Sattanathar…

[/tscii:672ae2a769]

Raghu
4th September 2005, 03:34 AM
Dear Balaji anNe and Viggop anNe, I will remove the poll as per your wish and we should discuss the nayanmarghal one by one. pls contribute your valuable knowledge, thanks

RR
4th September 2005, 10:08 AM
Dear Balaji anNe and Viggop anNe, I will remove the poll...
Deleted.

Raghu
6th September 2005, 12:49 PM
Dear Balaji anNe and Viggop anNe, I will remove the poll...
Deleted.

Dear RR thanks 4 this, i was unable to remove the poll, once created.

Dear Balaji AnNE and Viggop AnNe.

Can some one tell me in which century, Thirugna Sambhanthar was born?, was it in the 17th??

thanks

S.Balaji
6th September 2005, 01:21 PM
[tscii:d55e083647]

[quote=Raghu]Dear Balaji anNe and Viggop anNe, I will remove the poll...
Deleted.

Dear RR thanks 4 this, i was unable to remove the poll, once created.

Dear Balaji AnNE and Viggop AnNe.

Can some one tell me in which century, Thirugna Sambhanthar was born?, was it in the 17th??

thanks[/quote

Dear Raghu,

Pl go through my previous posting... given below again :

]Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:02 am Post subject: About Gnana Sambandhar
Must have lived during the early years of the seventh century AD That Sambandar is a contemporary of Appar and Siruttondar, otherwise known as Parañjotiyar, is evident from the legend in the Periyapuranam. We know Paranjötiyar was the Commander-in-chief of the Pallava King Narasimha Varnian I who distinguished himself against the Chãlukyas. According to inscriptional evidence, Narasimhavarman I succeeded Mãhêndravarman I in A.D. 630 and continued his rule to A.D. 660. Thus the age of Sambandar must be looked for sometime in the middle of the seventh century A.D.

[/tscii:d55e083647]

Raghu
6th September 2005, 03:51 PM
Dear Balaji AnNe,

Thanks for the info, shall we discuss about 'Kanapar' the hunter, who placed his eye on ShivaLingam?

thanks

S.Balaji
6th September 2005, 04:21 PM
Dear Balaji AnNe,

Thanks for the info, shall we discuss about 'Kanapar' the hunter, who placed his eye on ShivaLingam?

thanks

Dear Raghu,

We are not finished yet with Sambandhar perumaan.....

I consider this thread as a DIVINE THREAD... Lets exchange more about Sambandhar before moving to other great personalities....

Generally, Appar ( Thirunaavukarasar ) , Sambandhar , Sundaramurthy ... They are the most talked about and known personalities ....

We shall explore and find out more and more of them...soon

You know, wherever Sambandhar went, the religion itself went along with him...Basically Almightly gave all the courage , knowledge and strength to him....

There are many miracles and events happened in his life...

Probably Viggop can bring out from his armoury..

Raghu
6th September 2005, 04:42 PM
Yes Balaji anNe, Me too awaiting eagerly for more info on Thiru Gnana Sambhandar, at what he attained Mukthi?

S.Balaji
6th September 2005, 05:09 PM
Yes Balaji anNe, Me too awaiting eagerly for more info on Thiru Gnana Sambhandar, at what he attained Mukthi?

Raghu,

Lifting the earlier posting of Viggop ( hope he doesnt charge me for copyrights !!)

He was a friend of appar and he participated in many debates against the jain monks and defeated them.Hence , people came back to Hindu religion.He passed away when he was 16 years old during his marriage ceremony. The mandapam caught fire and it is said the entire people attending the marruage got moksham.

within the short span of 16 years he is supposed to have composed a lot of songs.A musical prodigy and a good scholar in debate.many miracles are attributed to him.

S.Balaji
6th September 2005, 05:19 PM
[tscii:31e483940e]Sambandhar’s KOLARU PADHIGAM is a very famous one… Its about all the planets . It is a firm belief even now that those who read this sloka will get rid of all their dosham from the negative effect of the planets…[/tscii:31e483940e]

viggop
8th September 2005, 10:36 AM
There was a poster in the old hub known as P.N.Kumar who was very well read.Hope he comes back now as he'll tell us a lot about Gnanacampandhar

Raghu
8th September 2005, 02:35 PM
[tscii:37c37a4af0]Sambandhar’s KOLARU PADHIGAM is a very famous one… Its about all the planets . It is a firm belief even now that those who read this sloka will get rid of all their dosham from the negative effect of the planets…[/tscii:37c37a4af0]

Balaji AnNe, any ideas as to where I can get this keerthanai,pls?

S.Balaji
8th September 2005, 02:57 PM
[tscii:e3e9b4a8c4]Sambandhar’s KOLARU PADHIGAM is a very famous one… Its about all the planets . It is a firm belief even now that those who read this sloka will get rid of all their dosham from the negative effect of the planets…[/tscii:e3e9b4a8c4]

Balaji AnNe, any ideas as to where I can get this keerthanai,pls?

Giri Traders... Just opposite to Kapaaleeshwarar Temple ... Mylapore...

There , you will get everything you want

S.Balaji
8th September 2005, 03:00 PM
[tscii:d0f8f59616]Kolaru padhigam starts with the following lines :

VEYORU THOLI PANGAN VIDAMUNDA KANDAN… MIGA NALLA VEENAI THADAVEE…..

Sambandhar sang this in praise of Lord Shiva…..
[/tscii:d0f8f59616]

Raghu
8th September 2005, 03:32 PM
[tscii:60756bc392]Kolaru padhigam starts with the following lines :

[/tscii:60756bc392]

Yes, I recall these verses from my childhood religious classes, :) , and Balaji anNe, I am not in India, I am in London, any web links would be highly appreciatable, thank u very much :)

Hari Krishnan
8th September 2005, 10:30 PM
[tscii:6496f82a84] Kolaru padhigam starts with the following lines :

[/tscii:6496f82a84]

Yes, I recall these verses from my childhood religious classes, :) , and Balaji anNe, I am not in India, I am in London, any web links would be highly appreciatable, thank u very much :)

Has Project Madurai been forgotten so soon! Please follow these links for Sambandar's Thevaram.

http://www.itamils.org/pmadurai/utf8/mp150.html

http://www.itamils.org/pmadurai/utf8/mp151.html

http://www.itamils.org/pmadurai/utf8/mp162.html

kOLaRu thiru-p-patigam is No.919 in URL No.3 above.

S.Balaji
8th September 2005, 10:39 PM
Dear Mr. Hari Krishnan,

Thank you very much for the links. Actually I am away from Tamilnadu for long.. Raghu is UK now. Hence we lost our links...
We are extremely happy now that we get all the links thanks to technology...

Thanking you once again.

Pl continue with your great work.. We are going through your website ..regularly..

viggop
9th September 2005, 09:41 AM
HariKrishnan Sir
WHy was GnanaSampandhar called "AludaipPillai"?

Raghu
9th September 2005, 03:00 PM
[tscii:95f1043cca] Kolaru padhigam starts with the following lines :

[/tscii:95f1043cca]

Has Project Madurai been forgotten so soon! Please follow these links for Sambandar's Thevaram.

http://www.itamils.org/pmadurai/utf8/mp150.html

http://www.itamils.org/pmadurai/utf8/mp151.html

http://www.itamils.org/pmadurai/utf8/mp162.html

kOLaRu thiru-p-patigam is No.919 in URL No.3 above.

Dear Hari Krishnan sir, I am in my late 20's, I have migrated to UK about 17 years ago,so I have lost touch with vedic scriptures, it is just out of my eagerness to understand I have opened various religious threads to gain knowledge from intellectuals like you sir,

pls pardon my ignorance!

Balaji anNe , i am from Tamizh Eelam :D

Badri
12th September 2005, 07:39 AM
Interesting discussion so far on Thrugnanasambhandaperuman!

More than just the life stories, I think we should focus on that extraordinary devotion that the Nayanmars showed to the Supreme! If we have a fraction of that devotion, we would be so blessed, wouldn't we? Can we take up a selection of hymns from the Thevaram of Gnanasambhandar, and discuss the devotional aspects of the same?

Mr Hari Krishnan has already provided us with some links. If along with an appropriate story, he and Viggop, as well as Balaji were to take up these hymns and explain the meanings to us, we would be immensely benefited!

rajraj
12th September 2005, 08:28 AM
Badri,
The very frist Tevaram I was taught in elementary school was 'thodudaiya seviyan vidai yeri.......' . This is the first verse in the first thirumurai by sambandhar on the deity in Seerkaazhi, also known as Bhramapuram. I think it is appropriate to start with the first verse.

thodu udaiya seviyan vidai yeri or thoo veN madhi soodi
kaadu udaiya sudalai podi poosi en uLLam kavar kaLvan
yedu udaiya malaraan munai naaL paNindhu yetha aruL seidha
peedu udaiya bhramaapuram meviya pemmaan ivan andre

This is sung to the ragam naattai.

meaning for some of the words:

vidai = bull (nandhi)
sudalai = sudukaadu = crematorium, area for cremation
yedu = petal yedu udaiya malar = lotus
yedu udaiya malaraan = bhramma
munai naaL = munnaaL
peedu= pugazh= fame

Badri
12th September 2005, 08:34 AM
rajraj: Can you please provide a brief translation and urai!

rajraj
12th September 2005, 08:38 AM
Badri,
I thought it was self-explanatory with the meaning I gave for the few uncommon words. I will try later.

Badri
12th September 2005, 08:47 AM
Badri,
I thought it was self-explanatory with the meaning I gave for the few uncommon words. I will try later.

sorry, raj! Neenga meanings add panrathukulla, naan athai post panniten!! It is very clear now...for the benefit of others:

"Adorned with earrings, sitting on the bull, wearing the pure white crescent moon, besmeared with the ash of the cremation grounds, the thief who captivated my heart, the one with the lotus, who graced me to stand before Him and humbly praise Him, isn't He the Lord who resides in this famed Bhramapuram?"

rajraj
12th September 2005, 08:57 AM
Badri,
Some corrections:

Lord Siva resides in Bhramapuram(Seerkaazhi) where bhramma once worshipped Siva and received his blessings. (= yedu udaiya malaaran paNindhu yetha aruL seidha).

kaLvan here is taken to mean unseen ( in hiding).

Badri
12th September 2005, 09:01 AM
Badri,
Some corrections:

Lord Siva resides in Bhramapuram(Seerkaazhi) where bhramma once worshipped Siva and received his blessings. (= yedu udaiya malaaran paNindhu yetha aruL seidha).

I knew there was something not right! Because, the reference to the lotus was a bit obscure with respect to Shiva! Now it makes sense. Thanks Raj!

Seri, what is the story behind Brahma worshipping Shiva in Seekaazhi?

viggop
12th September 2005, 09:33 AM
Is it the story where Brahma lied that he had seen the top of Lord Shiva(meaning measured the agni fully) while Vishnu told the truth that he could not find the depth.So, because of this curse, Brahma worshipped him? This is just my guess.

Raghu
12th September 2005, 11:16 AM
Is it the story where Brahma lied that he had seen the top of Lord Shiva(meaning measured the agni fully) while Vishnu told the truth that he could not find the depth.So, because of this curse, Brahma worshipped him? This is just my guess.

This is one of the reason Maha Shivaratri celeberated for, Yes as far as I know Lord Bharama lied bout reachis Parameshwar's tip of the head, while Lord Vishnu admitted that, he could not find the feet of Maheshwar, I think this is why Lord Bhrama is not worshiped or made temples for lord bhrama.

There is saying in Thamizh

'Aathiyum Anthamum illa Arul perum jothi' refering there is no beggining or end to Maheshwar!

S.Balaji
13th September 2005, 11:53 AM
[tscii:d87c13466a]Dear All,

The main deity of Seergazhi temple is called BRAHMAPUREESHWARAR… He is als o called as Thiruthoniappar. The Lord on top of the temple is called Sattanathar…
About Sattanathar.... One needs a separate posting for this... as there is a big story behind this..

[/tscii:d87c13466a]

Raghu
13th September 2005, 12:26 PM
[tscii:f83f2262ab]Dear All,

The main deity of Seergazhi temple is called BRAHMAPUREESHWARAR… He is als o called as Thiruthoniappar. The Lord on top of the temple is called Sattanathar…
About Sattanathar.... One needs a separate posting for this... as there is a big story behind this..

[/tscii:f83f2262ab]

Dear Balaji anNe,

Pls enlighten us about Sattananthar story. thanks

Raghu
14th September 2005, 06:18 PM
so far, i could not get any info about the rest of the Nayanmarhal any where, can some body provide a list of them, pls?

aravindhan
16th September 2005, 03:23 AM
so far, i could not get any info about the rest of the Nayanmarhal any where, can some body provide a list of them, pls?

http://www.shaivam.org/naayan_f.html has a list and brief biographies.

The periya puranam itself is available in a variety of formats thanks to Project Madurai:
http://www.tamilnation.org/sathyam/east/periyapuranam.htm

Raghu
16th September 2005, 01:34 PM

http://www.shaivam.org/naayan_f.html has a list and brief biographies.

The periya puranam itself is available in a variety of formats thanks to Project Madurai:
http://www.tamilnation.org/sathyam/east/periyapuranam.htm

Dear Aravindhan

Thanks a lot for this :D

viggop
17th September 2005, 07:37 PM
Gnanasampandhar will be accompanied by another Nayanmar known as Yazhpanar.Yazhpanar will be skilled in playing the Yazh(ancient music instrument).One time, Gnanasampandhar will sing such a song that Yazhpanar could not match with his Yazh.Hence, that raga will be known as Yazhmuriragam(which broke the yazh)

Raghu
18th September 2005, 12:56 AM
Gnanasampandhar will be accompanied by another Nayanmar known as Yazhpanar.Yazhpanar will be skilled in playing the Yazh(ancient music instrument).One time, Gnanasampandhar will sing such a song that Yazhpanar could not match with his Yazh.Hence, that raga will be known as Yazhmuriragam(which broke the yazh)

Is this anything to do with Yazhpanam? :?

aravindhan
18th September 2005, 01:43 AM
No. Any musician who plays the yazh is a yazhpanar, and Tirunilakanta Yazhpanar was so called because he was, according to legend, the greatest player of the yazh known. Besides, there was another Tirunilakanta Nayanar, so using the appellation "Yazhpanar" is a good way of distinguishing them.

You will find his story in lines 4215 - 4226 of the Periya puranam (http://www.tamilnation.org/sathyam/east/puranam/mp227.htm). A summary of his life is also available at http://www.shaivam.org/nayaazpa.html.

viggop
18th September 2005, 11:07 AM
Yazhpanam probably got its name from Yazh instrument.

aravindhan
18th September 2005, 06:07 PM
Yazhpanam probably got its name from Yazh instrument.

There are a number of theories on the origin of the name Yazhppanam The Vaiyapadal says that in the reign of King Vibisanan, the northern peninsula of Lanka was developed by a man who was also a renowned exponent of the yazh. Some use this to explain the origin of the name.

The Kailayamalai contains a different legend, which the Yazhppana vaipava malai expands. According to these texts, a blind musician-poet by the name of Kavi Virarakavan once played the yazh for King Valacinkan. The king was so moved by the music that he granted the musician a huge area of land, covering much of the Jaffna peninsula. The land was named "Yazhpanam" - the land of the yazhpanar. A third, more recent theory, is that the land was so famed for its music that it was named "the land where the harp sings".

I wonder if there is any relation between Yazhppanam and the "yazhppanayan pattinam" of which Arunagirinathar sings in Thiruppugazh padal 759.

As a footnote, I should add that politics plays a part here too - the Sinhalese claim that "Yazhpanam" is a Tamilisation of Yapapatuna, which means "the feudatories' harbour" (Yawa+pa+patuna). Alternately, they say it means "the harbour of the Javakas". A third theory is that "Nallur" was translated to "Yapane" in Sinhalese, and then Tamilised to "Yazhpanam". Needless to say, most Tamils do not give much credence to these theories.

Badri
19th September 2005, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the info, Aravindan.

And a quick appeal to all the other Hubbers - Aravindan's post was strictly to clarify Raghu's doubt. Now that that's done, let us not digress any further and instead, stick to our original topic of the Nayanmars!

Raghu
19th September 2005, 12:49 PM
No. Any musician who plays the yazh is a yazhpanar, and Tirunilakanta Yazhpanar was so called because he was, according to legend, the greatest player of the yazh known. Besides, there was another Tirunilakanta Nayanar, so using the appellation "Yazhpanar" is a good way of distinguishing them.

You will find his story in lines 4215 - 4226 of the Periya puranam (http://www.tamilnation.org/sathyam/east/puranam/mp227.htm). A summary of his life is also available at http://www.shaivam.org/nayaazpa.html.

thanks Aravindan for the info.

viggop
23rd September 2005, 06:50 PM
See here for thiruvasagam urai.

http://ta.wikibooks.org/wiki/Thiruvasakam

S.Balaji
24th September 2005, 03:09 PM
Dear All,

Shall we exchange notes on Thirunavukarasar alias Appar now...

He stands tall and comes first amongs the 63 great sivanadiyaargal..... Truly a divine personality..... Suffered heavily in his early life...was subjected to severe questioning by Pallava King... Mahendra Varman....
At one stage, the guards told him that they will put in Sunnaambu Kalavaaai.... and will kill him...

At this moment, Thirunavukarasar... said.. NAAMAARKUM KUDIYALOM... NAMANAI ANJOM.....

On hearing this , the Pallava King realised his mistake and treated him with all respect... Infact , Mahendra varman got converted into a Shaivaite... thanks to Thirunavukarasar....

More about him will follow.. soon......

viggop
24th September 2005, 03:20 PM
Appar was following the Jain religion.His sister was a staunch devotee of Lord Shiva.She converted him back into Hindu faith.
Till the end of his life, he had a feeling that he was somehow 'polluted' because he was following another religion for sometime.It was gnanasampandhar who called him "appar" as he was his father's age.

S.Balaji
24th September 2005, 04:02 PM
Appar was following the Jain religion.His sister was a staunch devotee of Lord Shiva.She converted him back into Hindu faith.
Till the end of his life, he had a feeling that he was somehow 'polluted' because he was following another religion for sometime.It was gnanasampandhar who called him "appar" as he was his father's age.

Thirunavukarasar's sister's name is THILAKAVATHI...

S.Balaji
24th September 2005, 04:12 PM
With the flow of the river thenpeNNai the kingdom called thirumunaippAdi , situated in the central part of thamizakam, was fertile with lots of water and soil resources. Is there anymore words needed to portray the greatness of this kingdom when the sage of service thiru Navukkarachar and the superior slave of devotees Sundharar were born in that kingdom. Among the prosperous towns of that kingdom, due to its spreading of the fragrance of shaivam the town called Thiruvamur , is outstanding. In that land covered by green paddy clothing, there lived a couple of good hospitality pukazanAr and his wife mAdhiniyAr in the profession of removing the world's hunger - agriculture. That blessed couple gave birth to the wealth - a girl by name thilakavathiyar After a few years they got a son - a sun to drive away the ignorance from the hearts of people by his magic words of complete love - and named him Marul Neekiyaar (remover of illusion). He grew up with all the festivals like removing the hair of the kid done in a nice way. He started learning the arts in the right age and grew up like the growing moon without blackspots.

When Thilakavathiyar completed twelve, the colonel of the king by name kalippakaiyAr who had a lot of love for the Lord who has Uma in His left part, wanted to get married to thilakavathiyAr. With the both sides accepting happily to the marriage the procedures started. At that time kalippakaiyAr had to go on the request of the king to the warfield to fight against a king of north. So he went before getting married. Meanwhile pukazanAr fell sick and reached heaven and mAdhiniyAr followed him unable to bear the shock. By the time the children thilakavathiyAr and marulneekiyaar were consoled by the relatives they got the message that the valiant kalippakaiyAr became martyr in the battlefield. thilakavathiyAr felt that when her parents decided to get her married to him, then itself she had become one for him. So she did not want to live without him.

Marulneekiyar held the feet of his sister and cried that he was still surviving after their parents' passing away only because he was able to salute her and live, if she also decided to leave him alone in the world then he would prefer to die first. That merciful soft-hearted lady made up her mind for her loving brother. She lived an austerous life away from all the lures of the world with pure love for all the lives. maruNikkiyAr trying to come out of the gloom involved himself in doing charities, set up inns, water shelters and hosted the hungered. He started thinking about the uncertainty in life and analyzed the religions. For realizing the Truth above all one should have His grace. For drinking water just thirst is not sufficient but there should be water source as well. As the Lord did not show him the truth then, he was attracted by the glitter of non-violence of Jainism while its philosophies were incomplete and impractical.

He went to a place called pAtalIpuththiram (Today's kadalur!) also called Thirupadhiripuliyur ,which was famous for the Jain institutions. He learnt the scriptures of that religion with the real spirit and was praised for his knowledge by the Jains over there. He was given the title dharma sEnar by them. He won the Budhdhists in the debates on philosophy. The entire Jain groups were happy to have such a superior leader. During this period thilakavathiyAr stayed away from all the relations with the relation of all the lives - the Lord shiva in the holy place thiruvadhikai . She did all the services in all humbleness to the Lord who burnt three cities of impurities like a piece of straw. That woman of pure heart prayed to the God many times to rescue her younger from the ignorance and show him His grace. She was more than a mother for maruNIkkiyAr, she not only brought him up but also praying day and night for him to realize the truth in life - she became her guide and philosopher too. The Light of the Universe appeared in the dream of that sage and blessed her not to worry, He would bring maruNIkkiyAr to the right path, who was doing austerities in the previous births to reach Him, by giving the chUlai (a terrible stomach pain).

Like the mother who beats the kid not to punish but to correct the Lord gave the unbearable pain in his stomach. dharma sEnar rolled down and screamed unable to tolerate the terrible pain. No medicine was useful to mitigate it because it required a medicine called mahAdEva . Appalled by the severity of the disease the Jains who torture themselves in the name of attaining liberation, chanted all the mantras they knew and gave the water thus obtained to him. Instead of alleviating the pain it amplified. They touched throughout his body with the peacock feather. It did not stop him from screaming. Frightened and confused the Jains gave up their efforts. With raising pain and nobody to help, maruNIkkiyAr remembered his loving relation - the adorable sister. He sent a person to convey his pain to thilakavathiyAr. She though felt pity for her brother conveyed back to him out of her strong determination for seeking his permanent betterment and not just the curing of this illness that she would not come to the place of Jains.

There was the grace of God for Marulneekiyaar to come to a decision that he would leave the company of Jains and submit himself to his sister. He left all the symbols of Jainism there itself and proceeded to thiruvadhikai. There was darkness outside in that night, but it was going to meet a bright morning. He clad himself in a white cloth and reached the hut of thilakavathiyAr. Like a rooted out tree he fell on her feet with the pain pricking his stomach. Praising the glory of Lord shiva she upraised him and told, "It is the grace of that matted haired Lord. Surrender yourself to Him who smashes down the painful bonds of His asylum seekers and serve Him". That sage gave him the Holy ash chanting His Holy five letters, before taking him to the abode in thiruvadhikai. Accepting humbly the Holy ash of the Lord who owns all the wealth, he thought he got the real prosperity in life.

With both the darkness inside and outside getting wiped out, in that blooming morning she took him to the temple with the service instruments for the thirupaLLIezuchchi (first worship in the temple). Prostrating to the Lord who never folds hands for worship, he got the feelings of singing that Mercy like a spring whose eye is just opened. He finally came to Him who is the king of all the medicines including for the illness of bonds and births. He sang the thEvAram " kURRAyinavARu vilakkakilIr", that should even melt a stone like heart. The God who is satisfied very easily when there is devotion immediately removed his illness. Thrilled with happiness he thanked the Lord who took him out of the ocean of suffering and darkness of ignorance. By the grace of the Lord there rose a voice, "As you sang the beautiful hymns enriched with nice words of excellent meaning, let your name be praised in the worlds as Naavukkarachu " (the king of the tongue).

All the creatures surrounded by Paasam (Bond) are subjected to ignorance, illusion and the effects of the past deeds. There could be hardly few exceptions to this. It is the quality of the great that once they get a thread to come out of this situation they raise to the peaks of knowledge and not only that they stand like the full moon that reflects the light of the Sun - like that of the God, to the world that is in complete darkness. In one song if the God says to him that he is the king of words, what a great transformation in his mind would have achieved it. There needs no explanation of the excellence of his love and humbleness for the Lord for people who have read this peerless hymn "Kuraininravaru". He is so great and a huge mass of devotees would be always expressing their gratitude to him for the unparalleled words of devotion he has expressed in his hymns. Great is the Lord who gave us the Holy Vedas. Great is His devotee Thirunaavukarasar Perumaan who brings Him to us once we sing his hymns with real feelings

viggop
24th September 2005, 04:48 PM
thanks balaji for the excellent article

S.Balaji
24th September 2005, 05:00 PM
thanks balaji for the excellent article

Viggop,

Almighty always sends His messenger in every Century.. whenever there is anarchy... absence of Dharma...to restore order....

Take for example... last century we had Ramana Maharishi, Seshadri Swamigal, Kanchi Paramachariar....
Earlier.... Sri Shirdi SaiBaba
Earlier... Sri Raghavendrar...

Appar was one of the divine messengers of God....

His contributions to the Religion is immense and there are no boundaries....

Another interesting point to note is that while Appar was in his old age... God sent in another person.... in the form of THIRUGNANA SAMBANDHAR....

There is another School of thought that Lord Murugan himself took the form of Sambandhar.....

I am sure Mr. Harikrishnan , Mr. Sudhama and you soon will be coming up with more and more wonderful postings on Appar and the other divine personalities so that this thread gets enlightened....

viggop
24th September 2005, 07:13 PM
Please do not include me with well read people like Sudhaama and HariKrishnan. My knowledge is thru internet only.Till i was in college , my knowledge of Tamil literature, hindu philosophy, carnatic music was zilch.only, in my job, i have access to internet and learning few things. :D

Raghu
26th September 2005, 12:59 PM
Dear all,

Can some one pls tell me who wrote 'Sivapuranam'?

thanks , and if possible can some one post the Sivapuranam here or provide any links?

viggop
26th September 2005, 01:17 PM
Sivapuranam was written by sekkizhar

Hari Krishnan
26th September 2005, 01:42 PM
Dear all,

thanks , and if possible can some one post the Sivapuranam here or provide any links?

Siva Puranam was composed by mANikka vAsagar. Here is the link:

http://www.itamils.org/pmadurai/utf8/mp003a.html#dt01

viggop
26th September 2005, 02:13 PM
Dear HariKrishnan Sir
What did sekkizhar write? I thought he wrote Shivapuranam.

Raghu
26th September 2005, 04:08 PM
Dear all,

Siva Puranam was composed by mANikka vAsagar. Here is the link:

http://www.itamils.org/pmadurai/utf8/mp003a.html#dt01

Dear hari krishnan sir

thank you very much for the link

S.Balaji
26th September 2005, 08:36 PM
Dear HariKrishnan Sir
What did sekkizhar write? I thought he wrote Shivapuranam.

Viggop,

Sekizhar wrote Periya puranam... It is actually a compilation of the entire 63 Nayanmargal...

I think he lived in Kunrathur....

He was given the start through a divine message... ULAGELAAM...

kalnayak
1st October 2005, 05:02 PM
Balaji anNe,

Your article on Thirunavukkarasar make me to remember my school days - where my teachers used to tell the life stories of great people like Thirunavukkarasar, Sambandhar etc. since they belonged to the area currently called Cuddalore where I did my schooling.
Your article should have contined more on how the Pallava king Mahendravarman
torchered Navukkarasar for converting back to Saivism by the advice of Jains in his court. Once he ordered his people to put him in 'Sunnambu Kaalavaai'. There
he sang "Maalai mathiyamum veesu thendralum Veengila venilum Moosu vandarai poihaiyum pondrathe, ... Easan enthan inayadi neezhale'. In my school assemblies, this was the prayer we were singing. Lord Siva saved him from the
'Sunnambu Kaalavaai' which they prepared near the river 'Gadilam which is still
running in Cuddalore district. In Thirpathiripuliyur, Navukkarasar has sang many songs in praise of Lord Paadaleeaswarar. This is mentioned in that temple too.

In his later life, he joined Sambandhar and continued his service of spreading
Saivism. The movie 'Thiruvarutchelvar' also depicts a lot on the life of Thirunavukkarasar and ThiruGnanasambhandar. God is so kind to the living beings. He keeps sending people like them. The people who happened to live
in that period are so fortunate to have these two grand great people to enlighten their life.

S.Balaji
1st October 2005, 05:31 PM
Khalnayak,

Thanks for highlighting about Mahendra varman.. the great Pallava king.
I have read about Mahendra varman and Mamalla Narasimhan the great in Kalki's Sivakamiyin Sabatham...but could not explore more ...
Since I knew about the Sunnambu kalavai episode and Naamarkum kudiyalom namanai anjom... in brief only... I didnt mention much about this..
I want to explore further and then post the whole episode on Mahendravarman testing Thirunavukarasar...

What you mentioned about the river close to Kadalur is Ketilam river...

rajraj
3rd October 2005, 08:30 AM
kalnayak: The complete song is:

maasil veeNaiyum maalai madhiyamum
veesu thendralum veengiLa venilum
moosu vandaRai poigaiyum pondradhe
eesan endhai iNai adi neezhale

Raghu
3rd October 2005, 12:50 PM

Dear Rajraj, did not this song feature in the Tamizh film, 'Thiruvilaiyaadal'??

S.Balaji
3rd October 2005, 03:07 PM

Dear Raghu,

It featured in THIRUVARUTCHELVAR... Interestingly, this movie is about select few characters amongst the 63 Nayanmargal like Appar , Sundarar etc.

Raghu
3rd October 2005, 09:19 PM

Dear Raghu,

It featured in THIRUVARUTCHELVAR... Interestingly, this movie is about select few characters amongst the 63 Nayanmargal like Appar , Sundarar etc.

Dear Balaji anNe,

Yes, yes I remember it very well, in this film Appar swamighal sings along with Sambhandar swamigal to open the door of one Shivan Koyil, right, which is built along the coastal area?, what is the name of the Temple?

One more Question Balaji anNe,

Mahabalipuram is a Sivan koyil right?, which king has built it, was it Pallavan?

S.Balaji
3rd October 2005, 09:36 PM
Raghu,

The temple in Mamallapuram is a Vishnu temple and one of the 12 Alwars had worshipped this temple and I had been to this temple last year... Worth visiting again and again... It will be close to the Malai and gugai carvings of the great Pallavas....

It is one of the 108 Tirupathis of Lord SriVishnu....

A very ancient temple... built by the Pallavas

Here is the link about the temple :

http://www.chennaionline.com/toursntravel/temple/perumal.asp

S.Balaji
3rd October 2005, 10:03 PM
Dear Raghu,

The temple which you mentioned is called Thirumaraikadu ( Puranic name ) and today its called Vedaranyam !

There is an interesting background behind this temple...

Pl read this link ...below..

http://www.chennaionline.com/toursntravel/placesofworship/thirumaraikadu.asp

Raghu
3rd October 2005, 10:21 PM
Raghu,

The temple in Mamallapuram is a Vishnu temple and one of the 12 Alwars had worshipped this temple and I had been to this temple last year... Worth visiting again and again... It will be close to the Malai and gugai carvings of the great Pallavas....

It is one of the 108 Tirupathis of Lord SriVishnu....

A very ancient temple... built by the Pallavas

Here is the link about the temple :

http://www.chennaionline.com/toursntravel/temple/perumal.asp

Dear balaji anNe,

I was watching on Religious channel here in Uk, it is all about Amarnath Yatra in Jammu, where the Ice lingam appears every 200 odd years or so, have you heard of this story?

in this program, they were clearly mentioned that there is a temple in T.nadu called Mahabalipuram, and it was Sivan koyil, and they also mention that, there is a mammallapuram as well, which like u said is Vishnu koyil.

S.Balaji
3rd October 2005, 10:31 PM
Raghu,

The name of that place is actually called MAMALLAPURAM ...and it was named after the great Pallava King MAMALLA NARASIMHA...
Once , i mean 1500 years before, Mamallapuram was a well known and established port during the Pallava period and lot of commercial activities had happened there..
It is also said that Mahendra Varman got inspired by the carvings of Ajanta and Ellora ( Really a wonderful place to visit . I had been there twice ) and made carvings in Mamallapuram ... Later it was developed further by Narasimha and afterwards Rajasimha...

Over a period of time, the name Mamallapuram got changed to Mahabalipuram.....
but the fact is that the original name is MAMALLAPURAM....

Besides, there is a shore temple where both Sri Vishnu and Lord Shiva are carved and they are still existing...

The temple which is inside Mamallapuram ( the link which I had posted earlier ) is called THALASAYANA PERUMAL...
This is one of the famous 108 Divya desam for Vaishnavaites...

S.Balaji
3rd October 2005, 10:40 PM
Dear balaji anNe,

I was watching on Religious channel here in Uk, it is all about Amarnath Yatra in Jammu, where the Ice lingam appears every 200 odd years or so, have you heard of this story?

in this program, they were clearly mentioned that there is a temple in T.nadu called Mahabalipuram, and it was Sivan koyil, and they also mention that, there is a mammallapuram as well, which like u said is Vishnu koyil.

Raghu,

As mentioned by me earlier, pl go through this link below. It mentions about the shore temple where Sri Vishnu and Lord Shiva are carved and they are still existing...though the face is not that clear ...
After all its 1500 years old ! and nature takes its own course...

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/southasia/Culture/Archit/Mahaba.html

Raghu
7th October 2005, 01:14 PM
Dear all,

Can some enlighten me as to the reason behind the avatar of Lord Nadarjah from Maheswhar?, and who is the person he is standing on, some asura? and is it Sivakamai ammaiyar, who is standing next to Lord Nadarajah and worshiping him??

Raghu
8th October 2005, 12:26 AM
Dear all,

One other avatar of Maha Isawar is known as 'Veerapathiran', any info abt the story behind this avatar? :roll:

aravindhan
8th October 2005, 01:45 AM
Can some enlighten me as to the reason behind the avatar of Lord Nadarjah from Maheswhar?, and who is the person he is standing on, some asura? and is it Sivakamai ammaiyar, who is standing next to Lord Nadarajah and worshiping him??

Natarajan is dancing on the demon Muyalakan, and is worshipped by Vishnu as Mohini. The story is this.

Once the rishis of tArukavanam became proud of their knowledge of the vedas and shastras, and the powers this gave them. Siva decided to teach them a lesson. He took the form of a handsome mendicant, and Narayana took the form of Mohini and became the mendicant's wife. They thus went together to tArukavanam.

Soon, the young wives of the rishis were smitten by Siva and the younger rishis by Mohini. The older rishis were furious, and decided to destroy the couple. So they built a fire and conducted a homam. They chanted powerful mantras, and produced a tiger which ran out of the fire and attacked the pair. Siva killed the tiger, skinned it, and bound the skin around his waist. The rishis then raised a serpent out of the fire. Siva caught the serpent and draped it around his neck.

The rishis now frantically used even more powerful mantras and conjured a fearsome demon, Muyalakan, who was sent against Siva. Siva trampled the demon under his feet. In desperation, the rishis now sent the sacred fire itself against him, but he caught it and wore it around himself. Utterly shaken, they used the last weapon available to them - they sent the vedic mantras themselves against him, but to no avail - he turned them into anklets and wore them around his feet.

The humbled rishis conceded defeat, and Siva now revealed himself. Clad in a tiger skin, with the snake around his neck, and ringed by fire, he danced the thandavam on Muyalakan, while the world shook with the "atirtal" of his feet. This is the form we worship as Nataraja.

The entire representation of Nataraja also has deep philosophical and symbolic significance in Saivism. It would be wonderful if someone could explain that.

(This is from memory - please correct me if I've made any mistakes)

viggop
8th October 2005, 02:36 PM
2 rishis - Patanjali and puli worshipped the nataraja form at chidambaram.lord shiva did the dance again for them.for a pandya king,he changed the stance and balanced himself on the other leg.

Raghu
11th October 2005, 12:28 AM
Dear Aravindan,

Thanks for that info about the reason behind the avatar of Lord Natarajah, but who is that saintly lady beside him??

Is she not Sivakami ammaiyar, is she not the one who walked on her head to Kailaish to attain mukti from Maha Iswar??

pls clarify

Badri
11th October 2005, 05:08 AM
Yes, Shiva danced again for Karaikkal Ammaiyar at Tiruvalankadu, which is quite close to Chennai.

Here, Shiva is in Urdhvatandava pose...with his leg lifted above his head, a posture he is said ot have taken to defeat the pride of Kali.

Karaikkal Ammaiyar prays to Shiva to see his tandava nrutya and Shiva blesses her with the sight at Alankadu.

Badri
11th October 2005, 05:14 AM
The meaning of Nataraja's Dance is expressed symbolically by his posture and attributes.

Siva dances on the Demon of Ignorance - Apasmarapurusha: Human beings can only reach true wisdom by conquering the ignorance / illusion, which takes the phenomenal world as real, instead of seeing all as a reflection or manifestation of the Ultimate Reality underlying everything.

He dances within the flamed arch: The arch represents nature, Prakriti, the processes of the Universe and the Transcendental Light sustaining it. Siva dancing within and touching the arch with head, hands, and feet is the universal omnipresent Spirit - Purusha.

In one ear he wears a female earring, and in the other a male one: signifying that He represents both the masculine and the feminine energy in the Cosmos.

He has four arms: the upper right arm carries a drum signifying Creation, the Creative Energy of Sound - Evolution and in the palm of His upper left arm he bears a tongue of flame, which symbolises Destruction, but also purification.

The balance of the hands gives equal weight to both creation and destruction, as necessary for purification, evolution and transformation.

The lower right arm is the abhaya mudra, the 'fear not' gesture and the lower left arm is pointing to the lifted foot, indicating release from ignorance - Grace.

All activities happen simultaneously - creation, destruction and the granting of Grace.

http://www.indtravel.com/tamil/graphic10/nataraja1.jpg

aravindhan
11th October 2005, 05:18 AM
Is she not Sivakami ammaiyar, is she not the one who walked on her head to Kailaish to attain mukti from Maha Iswar??
Sorry, I forgot! Yes, it is indeed Sivakami ammaiyar.

There is a temple called Nagesvaram in Kumbakonam in Thanjavur district. The temple is constructed so that the sun's rays shine directly on the lingam around varudapirappu every year, and it is most famous for this. But towards the north of the temple is a huge mantapam in the form of a chariot. Inside that is an image of Natarajar performing the ananda tandavam, as Sivakami ammaiyar keeps the talam, accompanied by various other celestials. The images rouse very deep emotions in the heart, bhaktiyum parivum pongi varuginra ponru. They are the most beautiful I have ever seen.

Badri
11th October 2005, 05:25 AM

There is a temple called Nagesvaram in Kumbakonam in Thanjavur district. The temple is constructed so that the sun's rays shine directly on the lingam around varudapirappu every year, and it is most famous for this. But towards the north of the temple is a huge mantapam in the form of a chariot. Inside that is an image of Natarajar performing the ananda tandavam, as Sivakami ammaiyar keeps the talam, accompanied by various other celestials. The images rouse very deep emotions in the heart, bhaktiyum parivum pongi varuginra ponru. They are the most beautiful I have ever seen.

Aravindhan: Who is Sivakami ammayar? I have not heard of anyone by that name! The only Sivakami that one hears about in connection with Nataraja is Ambal herself with the name of Sivakami! The Lord is Nataraja and his consort is Sivakami.

Are you sure you are not referring to Karaikal Ammaiyar? She was called Punithavathi before she became known as Karaikkal Ammaiyar. It was she who walked on her head to Kailasha, and she who is often depicted in scultpure as holding the cymbals keeping talam to Siva's dance.

So in either case, would like to know who is this Sivakami Ammaiyar! :roll:

aravindhan
11th October 2005, 05:29 AM
Who is Sivakami ammayar? I have not heard of anyone by that name! The only Sivakami that one hears about in connection with Nataraja is Ambal herself with the name of Sivakami! The Lord is Nataraja and his consort is Sivakami.
Sivakami is a form of Parvati. The way Raghu used the word, I thought it was just a Jaffna-tamil way of saying "Ammal". I guess I didn't read his post properly. Let that teach me to take my time composing replies! :oops:

Raghu
11th October 2005, 01:06 PM

Dear Aravindhan, any links or urls on your above quote would be highly benefitial, thanks :)

Raghu
11th October 2005, 01:08 PM
The meaning of Nataraja's Dance is expressed symbolically by his posture and attributes.

Siva dances on the Demon of Ignorance - Apasmarapurusha: Human beings can only reach true wisdom by conquering the ignorance / illusion, which takes the phenomenal world as real, instead of seeing all as a reflection or manifestation of the Ultimate Reality underlying everything.

He dances within the flamed arch: The arch represents nature, Prakriti, the processes of the Universe and the Transcendental Light sustaining it. Siva dancing within and touching the arch with head, hands, and feet is the universal omnipresent Spirit - Purusha.

In one ear he wears a female earring, and in the other a male one: signifying that He represents both the masculine and the feminine energy in the Cosmos.

He has four arms: the upper right arm carries a drum signifying Creation, the Creative Energy of Sound - Evolution and in the palm of His upper left arm he bears a tongue of flame, which symbolises Destruction, but also purification.

The balance of the hands gives equal weight to both creation and destruction, as necessary for purification, evolution and transformation.

The lower right arm is the abhaya mudra, the 'fear not' gesture and the lower left arm is pointing to the lifted foot, indicating release from ignorance - Grace.

All activities happen simultaneously - creation, destruction and the granting of Grace.

http://www.indtravel.com/tamil/graphic10/nataraja1.jpg

aha, Nadarajah silaikul ithanai vishayama :shock: :shock: :shock: ,

thanks Badri anNe :thumbsup:

Raghu
11th October 2005, 01:11 PM
Who is Sivakami ammayar? I have not heard of anyone by that name! The only Sivakami that one hears about in connection with Nataraja is Ambal herself with the name of Sivakami! The Lord is Nataraja and his consort is Sivakami.
Sivakami is a form of Parvati. The way Raghu used the word, I thought it was just a Jaffna-tamil way of saying "Ammal". I guess I didn't read his post properly. Let that teach me to take my time composing replies! :oops:

Yes yes I remember, Parvati matha was cursed once by Parameshwar, and the curse was that she would take up a human form and has to go through lots of hardship to be part of Maheshwar, I cant quite remember why Maheshwar cursed parvati matha to be born as Sivakami?? :roll: , any ideas guys? :?

viggop
12th October 2005, 05:45 PM
the 2 sages who worshipped Shiva in chidambaram were patanjali and vyagrapada(who assumed for of Puli,i think).
karaikal ammaiyar is another famous nayanmar.it seems she reached kailash in the form of skeleton all worn out.shiva is said to have pointed to her to Parvathi and said that she is your mother-in-law!!!

i'm not sure whether shiva will curse parvathi.in her previous form as sati,she'll visit the yagna of her father to which Lord Shiva will not be invited.she'll go defying the Lord.i think she burn herself out of remorse.later,she'll be born as parvathi and will pray for a long time to win shiva's attention.

Raghu
13th October 2005, 12:51 PM
the 2 sages who worshipped Shiva in chidambaram were patanjali and vyagrapada(who assumed for of Puli,i think).
karaikal ammaiyar is another famous nayanmar.it seems she reached kailash in the form of skeleton all worn out.shiva is said to have pointed to her to Parvathi and said that she is your mother-in-law!!!

Dear Viggop, i think it is Karaikal ammaiyar who was crowned as Sivakami ammaiyar, once she reaches Makeshwar in kailash

i'm not sure whether shiva will curse parvathi.in her previous form as sati,she'll visit the yagna of her father to which Lord Shiva will not be invited.she'll go defying the Lord.i think she burn herself out of remorse.later,she'll be born as parvathi and will pray for a long time to win shiva's attention.

Yes this is true, Thatchan was performing a rituals without inviting the lord, thatchan was furious over lord's kidnapping of his daughter, hence he did not invite lord to the Yagna, the moral behind this is, always obey your husband!! :D

Badri
13th October 2005, 12:55 PM
Yes this is true, Thatchan was performing a rituals without inviting the lord, thatchan was furious over lord's kidnapping of his daughter, hence he did not invite lord to the Yagna, the moral behind this is, always obey your husband!! :D

I do wonder where you get these strange stories from, Raghu! Siva doesn't kidnap Sati or anything! Daksha Prajapati himself offered his daughter in marriage to Siva. Once, during an assembly of Gods, when Daksha entered, all the gods, including Vishnu and Brahma stood up to honor him as the Prajapati of the Kalpa. Shiva, knowing the man's pride and arrogance, did not care to stand up. This was seen as a huge insult by Daksha and to avenge the insult, he decided to conduct a Yagna specificaly aimed at insulting Shiva, as he did not want to invite Shiva or offer the havis to him.

No kidnapping business here! :wink:

Raghu
13th October 2005, 01:00 PM

I do wonder where you get these strange stories from, Raghu! Siva doesn't kidnap Sati or anything! Daksha Prajapati himself offered his daughter in marriage to Siva. Once, during an assembly of Gods, when Daksha entered, all the gods, including Vishnu and Brahma stood up to honor him as the Prajapati of the Kalpa. Shiva, knowing the man's pride and arrogance, did not care to stand up. This was seen as a huge insult by Daksha and to avenge the insult, he decided to conduct a Yagna specificaly aimed at insulting Shiva, as he did not want to invite Shiva or offer the havis to him.

No kidnapping business here! :wink:

oh :oops: , sorry badri anNe

but I have watched the Tamil film thiruvilaiyadhal, there i saw a similar incident like this, any way not to worry, i must have got it wrong :oops: :oops:

Badri
13th October 2005, 01:01 PM
No problem, Raghu Thambi! Athukku thaaney intha Forumhub! So that we can all learn!! :)

Raghu
19th October 2005, 12:15 PM
Badri anNe

any Ideas about the reasons behind Maheshwar avatars of Veerapathirar, Vairavar, Thatchanamoorthy?? :roll: :roll:

S.Balaji
19th October 2005, 02:37 PM
[tscii:1fead2bdc1]Shall we discuss about Siruthondar alias Paranjothi .. Born in the Village Thiruchengaatkudi in Thanjavur District , he belongs to the 5th century AD and was a contemprory to Thirunavukarasar and Nyanasambandhar. The legend says that he actually wanted to have good education and moved to Kanchi but later joined the Pallava army under Mahendra varma Pallava . He was one of the architects of rebuilding the Pallava empire under Mamalla Narasimha the great Pallava ruler of the 5th Century. Paranjothi was instrumental in building a massive army which went to Vatapi ( today’s Badami in Upper Karnataka and destroyed the mighty Pulikesi , the Chalukiya King and won the pride of the Pallavas back as earlier Mahendravarma was defeated by Pulikesi during his Southern march.
Paranjothi later got inspired by Thirunavukarasar and parted ways with Narasimha and moved towards spiritual life. He was called Siruthondar as he wanted to serve the devotees of Lord Shiva.
There is another interesting aspect in his life . It is believed that after defeating Pulikesi, he brought the Vinayaka idol from Vatapi and installed it in his native village of Thiruchengatkudi. It is heard that this temple is still in existence in this village.
[/tscii:1fead2bdc1]

Hari Krishnan
19th October 2005, 05:49 PM
Badri anNe

any Ideas about the reasons behind Maheshwar avatars of Veerapathirar, Vairavar, Thatchanamoorthy?? :roll: :roll:

Raghu Saar, :-)

It is not right to call Veerabadra or any other forms as an avatar of Shiva. Shiva is pirappili or the One of no birth. Kripanandha Variyar, in his commentaries of Tiruppugaz, where Arunagiri calls Hanuman an avatar of Rudra, points to this and says the forms of Rudra and Shiva are to be seen in isolation. Shiva is pirappili.

viggop
19th October 2005, 07:11 PM
Hanuman being an avatar of Lord Shiva is also mentioned in one of thygaraja Kritis.It is "Adamodi galade" in charukesi.

U have a line called "chaduvulanni telisi shankaramshudai" meaning Hanuman was called as a amsa of Lord Shiva.

Raghu
19th October 2005, 09:47 PM
Badri anNe

It is not right to call Veerabadra or any other forms as an avatar of Shiva. Shiva is pirappili or the One of no birth. Kripanandha Variyar, in his commentaries of Tiruppugaz, where Arunagiri calls Hanuman an avatar of Rudra, points to this and says the forms of Rudra and Shiva are to be seen in isolation. Shiva is pirappili.

aiyayo, naa onum saar ilingo, may be a grandson to you :D , back in Jaffna, we have loads of Temples for Veerabadra, and it was said that veerabadra was an avatar of Isha(Sanskrit) or Ishwar in thamizh!!!

Raghu
19th October 2005, 09:50 PM
Badri anNe

Hari ji

what is Pirappili, no origin no end, in thamizh 'aathiyumilla anthamumilla arul perim jhithi'??

Raghu
24th October 2005, 04:47 PM
'Thenaadodaiya Sivane Potri ennaatavarkum iraiva potri' is a very famous phrase by one of these Nayanmarghal, can some one tell me who wrote this, please thank you.

Idiappam
24th October 2005, 09:46 PM
'Thenaadodaiya Sivane Potri ennaatavarkum iraiva potri' is a very famous phrase by one of these Nayanmarghal, can some one tell me who wrote this, please thank you.

Manickavasagar!

Raghu
25th October 2005, 12:17 PM
Thank you very much, Idiappam

Raghu
26th October 2005, 11:02 PM
Jai Ganesh Girija suvan, mangal mool sujan,
Kahati Ayodhyadas tum, deu abhaya vardan.

Jai Girijapati deen dayala,
Sada karat santan pratipala.
Hail Girijapati

Bhal chandrama sohati neeke,
Kanan kundal nag phani ke.

Ang gaur shiv ganga banai,
Mundamal tan kshar lagai.

Vastra khal baghambar sohe,
Chhavi ko dekh nag muni mohe.

Maina Matu ki priya dulari,
Bam ang rajat Shiv pyari.

Kar men soha trishul ati bhari,
Karahi sada shatrun samhari.

Nandi Ganesh soh tanha kaise,
Manas madhya kamal hon jaise.

Ya chhavi barnat bane na kauo.

Devan jab hee aai pukara,
Tabahin dukh prabhu ap nivara.

Keen upadrava tarak bhari,
devan sab mili tumhari pukari.

Turat shadanan ap pathayo,
Luv nimesh mahi mar girayo.

Ap Jallandhar asur sanhara,
Suyash tumhar vidit sansara.

Tripurasur sang yuddha machayi,
sabahin kripa kari leen bachayi.

Keenha tap Bhagirath bhari,
Purahi pratigya tasu purari.

Darpa chhod Ganga tab ayee,
Sewak astuti karat sadaee.

Ved naam mahima tav gayaee,
akath anadi bhed nahin payee.

Pragati udadhi manthan te jwala,
Jare surasur bhaye bihala.

Mahadeva tab kari sahayee,
Neelkantha tuv nam dharayee.

Poojan Ramchandra jab keenha,
Lanka jeet Vibhishan deenha.

Sahas kamal arpanahi vichari,
Keenha pareeksha tabahi purari.

Ek kamal Prabhu rakheu goyee,
Kamal nayan poojan chahin soyee.

Kathin bhakti dekhi Prabhu Shankar,
Bhaye prasanna deya icchhit var.

Jai Jai Jai, Ananta Avinasi,
Karat kripa sab ke ghatvasi.

Dushta sakal mohi nitya satavan,
Bharmita rahe man chain na aven.
I am always troubled by wicked people,
This makes me distressed with no peace of mind.

Trahi trahi main nath pukaro,
Yeh avasar mohi, ani ubaro.

Lai trishool shatrun ko marau,
Sankat se mohi ani unarau.

Mata pita bhrat sab hoi,
Sankat mein poonchat nahi koi.

Swami ekahi aas tumhari,
Ai harahu sab sankat bhari.

Dhan nirdhan kon det sadaee,
Arat jan ki peer mitaee.

Astuti kehi vidhi karahu tumhari,
Shambunath ab tek hamari.

Shanker ho sankat ke nashan,
Vighna vinasan mangal karan.

Yogi yathi muni dhyan lagaye,
Sharad Narad Sheesh navavahin.

Namo namo jab namah Shivaye,
Sur brahmadik par na paye.

Jo yeh path kare man layee,
To kon hot hain shamboo sahayee.

Putra na ho, ichha kare koi,
Nishchaya Shiv prasad se hoi.

Pandit triyodashi ko lave,
Dhyan poorvak hom karave.

Triyodashi vrita kare hamesha,
Tan nahi take rahe kalesha.

Dhoop deep naivedya chadhavahi,
Shanker sanmukha path karavahi.

Janam Janam ki pap nasavahin,
Antawas shivpur men pavahin.

Hey Shankar hai aas tumhari,
Dukh peera ab harahu hamari.

Raghu
26th October 2005, 11:11 PM
[tscii:e936cd6e8c]the story of GUHA, ruler of the small Kingdom of Shrang-veh-pur. Guha was the devoted friend of Bhagvan Sri Ram. But how did he become a friend of Sri Ram? In his previous life, he was an aborignal hunter named GURUDRO. One day he was tracking a deer, but the deer was too swift for him. He kept following the deer (peche … peche) but he could not get off an arrow. Soon he was tired and climbed up into a tree to see if he could spot the animal. As he looked all around, he began absent-mindedly to pluck the leaves from the tree and throw them unto the ground. Unknowing to him, he was sitting on a sacred Bilva tree (bay leaves) and again unknowing to him, the leaves were falling unto a natural Shivlingam which was hidden just below the surface of the earth. As the leaves kept falling unto the Shivling, the positive energy of Lord Shiva began to influence Gurudro’s mind. When the deer appeared close by, he found that he did not want to kill it. He began to struggle with his conscience. He was torn with the thoughts of killing an innocent animal and his duty to feed his hungry family. Soon his attention fell on the spot where the Shivling rested. He descended from the tree, cleared the earth from around the Shivling and began to cry and pray aloud as he kneeled and hugged the Shivling. “Mera Kalyan karo Bhagvan,” he repeated over and over. Lord Shiva appeared before him in the form of a Yogi. He said, “Utto (get up) Grurdro. It is a sin to kill. But it is also a sin not to do your duty. Today is Shivaraarti, and because of your worship, your prayer is answered. Your past sins are forgiven. From here on, you will live as the King of Shrang-veh-pur. In Treta Yuga, Sri Vishnu will incarnate on earth as Sri Ram. You will be his friend.” And so in the Ramayana, when Sri Ram went to Gurukula (Ashram school), he befriended Guha who was at the same school. Later when Sri Ram went to Banbaas, he had to pass through Shrang-veh-pur and again met Guha, his lifelong friend.
[/tscii:e936cd6e8c]

Raghu
26th October 2005, 11:19 PM
Worshipping the all powerful Lord in the night:
Another story traces the origin of the festival to the fact that Lord Shiva saved the entire human race and the universe from destruction by swallowing poison. It is believed that the Gods and the demons were churning the Ocean (Sagarmanthan) to obtain amrit (nectar) to stay immortal. In the process they came across many unusual substances, including the deadly poison. As soon as they touched the poison, it exploded into poisonous fumes that threatened to destroy the entire universe. When the destruction of the universe seemed inevitable, the Gods ran for assistance to Brahma and Vishnu, but neither was able to help. At last they ran to Lord Shiva, who swallowed the poison without spilling a single drop. That also explains why Lord Shiva's throat is blue in colour for which he is also called Neel Kanth (the one who has a blue throat) or Vishaapaharana Murthy.

Raghu
1st November 2005, 06:41 PM
Can some one tell me all the various stories behind Maha Shivratri, please?

viggop
2nd November 2005, 10:31 AM
Raghu
Let us discuss only about Nayanmars here.

Raghu
7th November 2005, 09:39 PM
Viggop,

Nayanmar and Maheswar are related , all the 63 Nayanmarghal are Maheshwar bhaktha's only

Raghu
7th November 2005, 09:46 PM
Dear all,

There was one bhaktha, who used to worship Just Lord shiva and not Godess Shakthi, he would just Go around Lord Shiva and worship him, Lord Shiva tried to his 'Thiruvilaiyadhal leelai's ' to stop this bhaktha just worshiping him, but he failed at last he took an avatar of 'Arthanareeshwar(ShivaShakthi')', so this bhaktha became like a bee, and when through the belly button of Arthanaresshwar, and just worshiped the Shiva part of it!, eventually, he attained mukti, who was this bhaktha???

aravindhan
8th November 2005, 05:05 AM
There was one bhaktha, who used to worship Just Lord shiva and not Godess Shakthi, he would just Go around Lord Shiva and worship him, Lord Shiva tried to his 'Thiruvilaiyadhal leelai's ' to stop this bhaktha just worshiping him, but he failed at last he took an avatar of 'Arthanareeshwar(ShivaShakthi')', so this bhaktha became like a bee, and when through the belly button of Arthanaresshwar, and just worshiped the Shiva part of it!, eventually, he attained mukti, who was this
Are you thinking of Bhringi?

Raghu
8th November 2005, 03:38 PM
There was one bhaktha, who used to worship Just Lord shiva and not Godess Shakthi, he would just Go around Lord Shiva and worship him, Lord Shiva tried to his 'Thiruvilaiyadhal leelai's ' to stop this bhaktha just worshiping him, but he failed at last he took an avatar of 'Arthanareeshwar(ShivaShakthi')', so this bhaktha became like a bee, and when through the belly button of Arthanaresshwar, and just worshiped the Shiva part of it!, eventually, he attained mukti, who was this
Are you thinking of Bhringi?

Not Sure Aravindhan, this was the reason behind Arthanaareshwar to Show that Man and Women are equal, it would be great, if you could post a bit more on Bhringi,

thanks

Idiappam
9th November 2005, 12:43 AM
Just as a summary -- Which are the Nayanmars so far mentioned in this thread.. Anyone please...

Raghu
9th November 2005, 04:07 AM
Just as a summary -- Which are the Nayanmars so far mentioned in this thread.. Anyone please...

pls goto pages 1.2.3

asitaraman
14th November 2005, 10:08 PM
Balaji
Seikizhar's sivapuranam mentioned 63.But, it did not mention Manicavasagar name at all.SO, some scholars argue that manicavasagar was born after 10th century etc. while some scholars put his date at 7th century AD.

This is true. However, remember that Sekkizhar's Periya Puranam is a reconstruction of Sundarar's Thiruthondu Thogai. At that time, most of the Thevarams were lost as also was information. There is a Thevaram which goes "Pariyai nariyai saivanum" talking about the Thiruvilayadal where Shiva converts the horses into foxes.

It is believed that Shiva performed this miracle to benefit Mannikavachagar. Also, the Thiruvillayadal was recounted and recomposed from oral and writted traditions by Siruthondar (a.k.a. Paranjyothi Adigal) which was during the time of Mahendra Pallava and Narashima Pallava. Hence, Manikkavachagar must have existed before even Appar & Sambandar.

Rgds, Aravind

asitaraman
14th November 2005, 10:11 PM
Pandya queen was Mangayarkarasi.She was also a devout shiva bhaktha and is also considered as a nayanmar.I dont think it was sampandhar who will curse the king to become sick.

According to Sekkizhar, it was Sambandar who sings the padiyam and says "payavae selga pandiyarkaga" thus sending the fire to the king but gently so Mangayarkarsiyar would not become a widow. Remember also that according to Raja dharma, the faults and mistakes of the people belong to the people.

asitaraman
14th November 2005, 10:18 PM
Badri,
Some corrections:

I knew there was something not right! Because, the reference to the lotus was a bit obscure with respect to Shiva! Now it makes sense. Thanks Raj!

Seri, what is the story behind Brahma worshipping Shiva in Seekaazhi?

Another interpretation is that instead of yedu udaiya malaran, if you were to say it as yedu udaya malaral, the meaning would turn to Muruga having worshipped Shiva after killing Surapadman at Thiruchandur came to be born as Sambandar in Thiruthonipuram. This argument was apparently forwarded by Kumaraguruparar and forcefully presented by Pulavar Keeran in his discourses.

asitaraman
14th November 2005, 10:26 PM
[quote="viggop"]Appar was following the Jain religion.His sister was a staunch devotee of Lord Shiva.She converted him back into Hindu faith.
quote]

This is not true. From Periya Puranam, we know that Thilagavathi did not go to see Dharmaseelar (before he became Thirunavukku Arasar). Dharmaseelar realized that he has not done anything wrong in this life ("Kodumai Pala saithana Naan Ariyaen") and therefore concluding that the bad karma from his previous life is following him in this life. This destroys his faith in Jainism and he converts to Saivism.

asitaraman
14th November 2005, 10:35 PM

Dear Raghu,

Dear Balaji anNe,

Yes, yes I remember it very well, in this film Appar swamighal sings along with Sambhandar swamigal to open the door of one Shivan Koyil, right, which is built along the coastal area?, what is the name of the Temple?

One more Question Balaji anNe,

Mahabalipuram is a Sivan koyil right?, which king has built it, was it Pallavan?

No, the temple is Vedaranyam. It is believed that the temple itself was closed for a long time since after the worship of the 4 Vedas of Shiva, noone felt worthy to go in.

Appar & Sambandar were the ones who reopened it for all saying that there is no higher or lower individual to God. An interesting anecdote there is that when Appar was singing to close the door, Shiva did not close even after he had sung 10 songs. But had opened the door with fewer songs by Sambandar. Appar too umberage to this and sang harshly on the 11 song. At which time, Shiva appeared to him and said that he was enjoying his poetry so much that he has lost himself in that joy!

Rgds, Aravind

viggop
15th November 2005, 09:35 AM
Thiru Aravindan
Thanks for the interesting anectode.Can you please post the 11 songs of Appar which even Lord Shiva enjoyed.Please give meanings too.

Raghu
15th November 2005, 04:27 PM
:shock: :shock:

er, I thought appar was Vaishnavite, not a Jain, some one pls Verify this

viggop
15th November 2005, 05:55 PM
Appar was a jain for sometime.Till his end, he felt he was "impure" because of this.His love on Lord Shiva was so great.

Raghu
15th November 2005, 07:12 PM
Appar was a jain for sometime.Till his end, he felt he was "impure" because of this.His love on Lord Shiva was so great.

Ok, who were the people, who tied Appar Swamighal to a Rock and thrown him into the sea to drown, but Ishwar will make the rock float rather than sink in the water, Appar swamighal will be Chanting one Shiva Mantra, what was it?

viggop
16th November 2005, 07:16 PM
நடராஜர் நர்த்தனமிடும் ஐந்து சபைகள்:

1. திருநெல்வேலி - தாமிர சபை
2. குற்றாலம் - சித்தர சபை
3. மதுரை - மாணிக்க சபை
4. சிதம்பரம் - பொற் சபை
5. திரு ஆலங்காடு - ரத்தன சபை

viggop
16th November 2005, 07:18 PM
I think it was a pallave king(mahendra varman) who was a Jain who did this to Appar.He tired various ways to kill appar but always Lord Shiva saved his devotee.

I do not know about the Shiva mantra of appar

i think Gnanasampandhar introduced the panchakshari mantra
"Om Na mah Si va ya"

Idiappam
19th November 2005, 03:56 AM
I really don't know what really happened to make that stone float, but Appar Sang the Namasivaya Pathigam there - Sotrunai vethiyan - that made the stone float, they say!

Hear the Thevaram - sotrunai vethiyan - here!
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/7/s/album.381/language.8/

S.Balaji
19th November 2005, 12:40 PM
I think it was a pallave king(mahendra varman) who was a Jain who did this to Appar.He tired various ways to kill appar but always Lord Shiva saved his devotee.

"Om Na mah Si va ya"

Viggop...

The pallava king was none other than the Great Mahendra Pallava..... who previously was following Jainism.....His generals threatened Appar that they will do all sorts of physical torturing ...including SUNNAMBU KAALAVAI...... THey said they will throw him into that pit......and kill him.....

at this moment.... APpar sang the famous song.... NAAMMARKUM KUDIYALLLOM...... NAMANAI.... ANJOM.....

Mahendra varma was stunned by the confidence and the courage of Appar despite the threats.... He summoned Appar to his court and treated him with all respect.....and also got converted as a Shiavaite .......and followed Saivism.....from thereon.......

viggop
19th November 2005, 02:35 PM
It was not appar but Lord Shiva who made the stone float.

Raghu
21st November 2005, 08:42 PM

"Om Na mah Si va ya"

I dont think so, 'Om Na Ma Shiva Ya' is the oldest Mantra in Hinduism, I recall this mantra being used by Rama in Rameshwaram, shortly before Rama went on to Slay Ravana, he Conducted a Pooja by making a Shivlinga from sand, there he was Chanting 'Om Na ma Shivaya'.!

Some one please verify this, thanks

viggop
21st November 2005, 09:29 PM
I think Lord Rama prayed to Shiva after coming back to India after killing ravanan.He wanted Shiva to absolve him of the sin of killing a shiva devotee like Rama

Raghu
21st November 2005, 10:04 PM
I think Lord Rama prayed to Shiva after coming back to India after killing ravanan.He wanted Shiva to absolve him of the sin of killing a shiva devotee like Rama

No No, Rama prayed and got the blessing of Lord Shiva, b4 he goes to slay Ravana, I am quite sure of this.

S.Balaji
22nd November 2005, 12:28 AM
Dear Raghu...

Lord Ram..after coming from Lanka...again did the pooja to Lord Shiva to get rid of the Brahmahathi dhosham..... which he got due of killing of Ravana..... ( even though Ravana was an evil guy )....

There is also another belief that the main deity ... Lord Ramanathaswamy ... was actually created by Sitadevi out of sand....I am not sure about this.....

aravindhan
22nd November 2005, 04:10 AM
Not Sure Aravindhan, this was the reason behind Arthanaareshwar to Show that Man and Women are equal, it would be great, if you could post a bit more on Bhringi

There are a number of versions of the legend of Bhringi. According to one legend, Bhringi was originally an Asuran called Andagan. Siva transformed him and appointed him one of the commanders of his armies. Bhringi thereupon became a devout Siva baktan. However, his loyalty lay to Siva alone, to the exclusion of all others, including Parvati. This angered Parvati, and one morning as Bhringi was doing a pradathcinam of Siva, she sat close to him. Bhringi immediately turned himself into a wasp (in Sanskrit, bhRnga), and flew around Siva's waist. Parvati was exasperated, and she and Siva merged their bodies into one. But Bhringi was cleverer than they had thought, and he flew through the point where their navels merged. Parvati then withdrew her shakti from him turning him into a body without jivakaLai, a virtual skeleton. Siva took pity on him, and gave him a third leg so he could support himself. It was only then that Bhringi realised his error.

Raghu
22nd November 2005, 03:33 PM
Not Sure Aravindhan, this was the reason behind Arthanaareshwar to Show that Man and Women are equal, it would be great, if you could post a bit more on Bhringi

There are a number of versions of the legend of Bhringi. According to one legend, Bhringi was originally an Asuran called Andagan. Siva transformed him and appointed him one of the commanders of his armies. Bhringi thereupon became a devout Siva baktan. However, his loyalty lay to Siva alone, to the exclusion of all others, including Parvati. This angered Parvati, and one morning as Bhringi was doing a pradathcinam of Siva, she sat close to him. Bhringi immediately turned himself into a wasp (in Sanskrit, bhRnga), and flew around Siva's waist. Parvati was exasperated, and she and Siva merged their bodies into one. But Bhringi was cleverer than they had thought, and he flew through the point where their navels merged. Parvati then withdrew her shakti from him turning him into a body without jivakaLai, a virtual skeleton. Siva took pity on him, and gave him a third leg so he could support himself. It was only then that Bhringi realised his error.

Dear Aravindhan,

Yes That was the story I was talking about, but i really can not re call the name bingi :roll:

Raghu
22nd November 2005, 03:34 PM
Dear all,

Shall we discuss abt Kannappar Swamighazh, how a hunter became Shiva bhaktha

Raghu
22nd November 2005, 05:47 PM
Dear Raghu...

Lord Ram..after coming from Lanka...again did the pooja to Lord Shiva to get rid of the Brahmahathi dhosham..... which he got due of killing of Ravana..... ( even though Ravana was an evil guy )....

There is also another belief that the main deity ... Lord Ramanathaswamy ... was actually created by Sitadevi out of sand....I am not sure about this.....

Dear Balaji anNe,

May be, but I am very sure Rama Prayed to Lord Shiva, b4 he goes to lanka, Ihave seen this from Ramanand Saagar's 'Ramayana'.

asitaraman
25th November 2005, 07:03 AM
:shock: :shock:

er, I thought appar was Vaishnavite, not a Jain, some one pls Verify this

Nope, he converted from Shaivism to Jainism and later back to Shaivism. He was born Marulneeki, was called Dharmaseelar when Jain, and then called Thirunavukku Arasar after he converted back to Shaivism. This name was given by Lord Shiva Himself. Later, when he met Thirugnanasambandar, he was called Appar.

Rgds, Aravind Sitaraman

asitaraman
25th November 2005, 07:06 AM
Dear Raghu...

Dear Balaji anNe,

May be, but I am very sure Rama Prayed to Lord Shiva, b4 he goes to lanka, Ihave seen this from Ramanand Saagar's 'Ramayana'.

All three things are correct-- Rama praying to Shiva before he went to Lanka, Sita making a Shiva lingam out of sand, then Rama praying to that Lingam to get rid of the Brahma Hatti Dosha.

Rgds, Aravind Sitaraman

Raghu
25th November 2005, 04:01 PM
Dear Raghu...

Dear Balaji anNe,

All three things are correct-- Rama praying to Shiva before he went to Lanka, Sita making a Shiva lingam out of sand, then Rama praying to that Lingam to get rid of the Brahma Hatti Dosha.

Rgds, Aravind Sitaraman

Thanks for the Clarification, Asitaraman

Raghu
28th November 2005, 05:00 PM
Can some one pls, tel me a bit more about Sundarar swamighal, I think we have discussed a lot Sambhandar, Thirunaavukarasar, ..etc

Raghu
13th December 2005, 08:28 PM
Can some one tell me the essence of Thirunvenpaavai, plsssssssssssss???

S.Balaji
13th December 2005, 09:11 PM
Dear Raghu ...

pls wait. I shall come up with a posting soon on this....

Raghu
13th December 2005, 09:19 PM
Dear Raghu ...

Thanks Balaji anNe,

I know it falls in December and it is to do with Parameshwar.

S.Balaji
13th December 2005, 09:43 PM
Raghu dear...

Thiruvembaavai was written by Manika vasagar ...not Sundaramurthy

Raghu
22nd December 2005, 03:50 PM
Dear Raghu ...

Balaji anNe,

I am still waiting for this :)

Uppuma
2nd January 2006, 12:52 PM
Friends,

I REMEMBER from a book from former Director of Archeology, Tamilnadu wrote, Sundarar who married his Second wife in Tiruvottiyur, and then left against the Promise he made, so He last his Eye Sight.

With the help of Others Sundarar moved, and when he reached a Temple near Poondi near Chennai, loosing his Patience; He shouted saying "Are You There? or stone only- I AM Leaving " and immediately a Voice from Sky came-" I AM THERE; Do not Go" ( Ulom Pogiir), and later sundarar's eyesight was restored,

Dr.Naranakasinathan said during a dry summer, in avillage temple near poondi, which was submerged due to Poondi Dam supplying water to Chennai got dry- A stone Kalvettu found of 9th Cen, naming the Temple God- as ThiruVulom Bogiswarar, i.e., the Thevarams have lot of Hisotrical Value is confirmed.
Uppuma

Raghu
2nd January 2006, 10:15 PM
Friends,

I REMEMBER from a book from former Director of Archeology, Tamilnadu wrote, Sundarar who married his Second wife in Tiruvottiyur, and then left against the Promise he made, so He last his Eye Sight.

With the help of Others Sundarar moved, and when he reached a Temple near Poondi near Chennai, loosing his Patience; He shouted saying "Are You There? or stone only- I AM Leaving " and immediately a Voice from Sky came-" I AM THERE; Do not Go" ( Ulom Pogiir), and later sundarar's eyesight was restored,

Dr.Naranakasinathan said during a dry summer, in avillage temple near poondi, which was submerged due to Poondi Dam supplying water to Chennai got dry- A stone Kalvettu found of 9th Cen, naming the Temple God- as ThiruVulom Bogiswarar, i.e., the Thevarams have lot of Hisotrical Value is confirmed.
Uppuma

Really ? :shock: ellam avan seyal

Uppuma
5th January 2006, 02:34 PM
Friends,
I REcall from an old reading, by a book from former Director of Archeology, NatanaKASInathan.

While the Poondi River was Dry in a summer, they found a Temple on the path of river, normally submerged.

The name of God as per Stone Inscriptions dated to 9/10th Cen.
read as ulompogiswarar.

Actually, Sundarar on his RE-Marriage, at Thiruvottiyur temple, marries with Vedic Sakshi, promissing of not LEAVING THE WIFE for Life, but as he kept away from Promiss, lost his eyesight and was moving from temple to temple with HElp.

And at this temple, Sundarar who was called God's Friend, lost his hopes, shouted are You There or only Stone? I wont visit any more temples.
God's voice from Sky- came Ulom POgir- I am here Do not G0

A stone INSCription proves the event from the releavant date.
Uppuama

Raghu
5th January 2006, 10:09 PM
Upuma

Is there any URLs providing ur above infor?

thanks

Raghu
27th February 2006, 05:42 PM
Dear all,

Yesterday was MahaShivratri, I have been following preaching by 'His Divine Swami Satrguru Vasudev', his is the founder of 'Isha Foundation'. I shall post his web site soon here!

They had a Massive Shivlinga in some place in Coimbotore, TN. Amazingly beautiful this Shiv linga, Swamighal was preaching about 'Apoothi adhihal' and the 'Thirunavaukarasar swamighal', then followed by the chanting of 'Aum Namashivaya' , which send shivers down my spine, it had around 1-2 millions ppl at this place, all joined in Cried out loud, it was the MOST memorable and Satisfying Festival I have EVER seen in my life, I was very sad, that could not be there , but thanks to aastha TV on Sky Channel 828 it was the MOST AUSPICIOUS day!

Swami explained how this Cosmos, Manifested from Shiva, and about all the Yogic Mudras, and about the Gnana Linga and its 7 stages to attain Mukthi at Ishwar's feet. what an experience, it was!!

AUM NAMASHIVAYA

Lambretta
27th February 2006, 06:55 PM
Hi Raghu,
Speaking of Sivaratri, been meaning to ask u- did u practice 'Jagaram' last night, ie, staying awake the whole night?
I & a group of my friends did so at the local RK Math here & we mostly sang bhajans, heard the story of Shiva etc.....twas the first time I was following this as I'm basically Vaishnavite.....so I was mainly curious to know wat its like, how its done etc. :)

Raghu
27th February 2006, 07:01 PM
Hi Raghu,
Speaking of Sivaratri, been meaning to ask u- did u practice 'Jagaram' last night, ie, staying awake the whole night?
I & a group of my friends did so at the local RK Math here & we mostly sang bhajans, heard the story of Shiva etc.....twas the first time I was following this as I'm basically Vaishnavite.....so I was mainly curious to know wat its like, how its done etc. :)

ji huh, Vaishnavamo Shaivamo, Isha onu thaan, clearly stated in Gita, Isha(git), Isa(bible/quran) and later it became ishwar, isan in thamizh.

:D

Raghu
8th May 2006, 02:31 PM
Can some one elaborate a bit on 'Apoothi adighal', 'Shekizhar peruman' ...? please..

bingleguy
8th May 2006, 02:39 PM
[tscii:426e24d2af]Saiva Siddhanta is the philosophy of southern Saivism. It owes its origin to no single author. It is midway between Sankara’s Adwaita and Ramanuja’s Visishtadwaita. Its literature consists chiefly of: (1) the twenty-eight Saivite Agamas, (2) the collection of Saivite hymns known as Tirumurai compiled by Nambi Andar Nambi, (it contains Tirumanthiram of Tirumular; the Thevaram of Appar, Sundarar, and Sambandar, and the Tiruvachagam of Manickavachagar), (3) the collection of the lives of Saivite saints, known as the Periyapuranam, (4) Meykandar’s Siva-jnanabodham, (5) Arulnandi’s Sivajnanasiddhiar, and the works of Umapati. Tirumular’s work Tirumanthiram is the foundation upon which the later structure of Saiva Siddhanta philosophy was built.

The central doctrine of the Saiva Siddhanta philosophy is that Siva is the Supreme Reality, and that the Jiva or the individual soul is of the same essence as Siva, but not identical. Pati (God), Pasu (soul), and Pasa (the bonds) and the thirty-six Tattvas or principles which constitute the world, are all real.

The Saiva Siddhanta system is the distilled essence of Vedanta. It prevailed in Southern India even before the Christian era. Tirunelvely and Madura are the centres of the Saiva Siddhanta school. Even now, Saivism is a very popular creed in South India. It is a rival school of Vaishnavism. [/tscii:426e24d2af]

bingleguy
8th May 2006, 02:43 PM
[tscii:3b603569cd]In devotion to the Guru, Appudi Nayanar excelled. He was an ardent Siva Bhakta. He was leading the ideal householder’s life. He belonged to a Brahmin family in Tingalur in the Chola kingdom.

Appudi had heard of the glories of Tirunavukkarasar or Appar. He had heard of how God’s grace made the stone float and how Appar rode on it and floated on the sea and went to a place of safety. Even though he had not seen Appar, he had taken him as his Guru, and literally worshipped Appar. He knew that Lord Siva Himself, out of compassion for the spiritual aspirants, appeared as the Guru. He meditated on the lotus feet of the Guru. He had named all his children ‘Tirunavukkarasu’: and all the household articles had also been named after the Guru. He had erected a number of water-sheds, for the service of pilgrims, and had named all of them after the Guru. Thus had he ensured that he would constantly remember the Guru, and experience his grace.

Appar himself passed through Tingalur one day. He went into one of the water-sheds. He was surprised to see his own name everywhere. He found out from some other pilgrims that the shed had been erected by Appudi and went to meet him. Appudi received the Siva Bhakta (though he did not know who it was) with great devotion. Appar said: ‘Oh noble soul, I have heard a lot about your greatness and glory. I wanted to pay my respects personally to you. Please tell me, why have you named the water-shed after somebody, and not yourself.’ Appudi was upset at this casual reference to the blessed name of his Guru. He said: ‘Oh friend, though you appear to be a Siva Bhakta, you do not seem to know Tirunavukkarasu Swamigal, who through the grace of the Lord withstood successfully all the persecutions of the Pallava king and re-established Saivism. Have you not heard how the king tied him to a stone and threw him into the sea, and how he floated back to the shore? Who are you?’

Appar was very much moved by Appudi’s devotion and replied: ‘I am that humble soul who fell a victim to severe colic and then took shelter under the Lord’s Feet. I am that humble soul who, due to the grace of Lord Siva, got cured of that disease and returned to Saivism.’ Look at the difference between the two descriptions! Appudi remembers the glory of Appar: whereas Appar chooses to recall his own failing (to preserve his humility) and the Lord’s supreme saving grace.

As soon as he heard this, Appudi understood that the Siva Bhakta was none other than Appar and was overjoyed. He worshipped Appar, along with his wife and prayed to Appar to accept his Bhiksha (food). While their son had gone to the garden to bring a banana leaf, for Appar to use as his plate, the boy was bitten by a cobra. The son of a Nayanar: he was also a great devotee of the Lord! He ran to the mother eager to fulfil his duty. He handed the leaf to his mother and immediately fell down dead. Appudi did not want to let this disturb his worship of Appar Swamigal: and, therefore, hid the corpse. He invited Appar to have his meal. Appar sat down and blessed Appudi and his wife with Bhasma, and then called for their son. Appudi tactfully replied: ‘He is not in a position to come.’ Appar sensed that there was something wrong and asked Appudi to tell him the truth. Appudi informed him what had happened. Immediately Appar got up and asked Appudi to lay the corpse in front of the temple: and he himself sang a song. A miracle took place. The boy got up, as if from sleep. All were happy, except the parents of the boy. They regretted that this incident had caused some delay in Appar having his meals! Such is the nature of true devotion. Appar immediately took his meals and blessed the family.

Appar lived in Appudi Adigal’s house for some time. Appudi gained the grace of the Lord, by his wonderful devotion to his Guru, Appar Swamigal. [/tscii:3b603569cd]

Raghu
8th May 2006, 03:00 PM
bingle,

exellent info, great thanks million, i have learned about appothi nayanar through the tamil film 'Thiruvarutchelvar', i am very upset for the facts such films are not made these days to educate the world

bingleguy
8th May 2006, 03:09 PM
Ys .. true ... excellent movie !
Such kinda movies are really so good, n bad that no more such movies !
A lot of good movies like

Saraswati Sabadham
Thiruvarutchelvar
Tiruvilaiyaadal
Kaaraikal Ammayaar

are really unforgettable !
Wish a person like AP Nagarajan to be there everytime !

Raghu
8th May 2006, 03:11 PM
Bingle,

Pls add Karnan 2 the list, what a mindblowing performance by the GREATEST SHIVAJI!!

bingleguy
8th May 2006, 03:16 PM
Ys ... Karnan too .... awesome ... andha edukavo korkavo scene ... vera yaaraalaiyum panna mudiyaadhu....

Also Raja Rishi ... Devarin Deivam n many other movies too !

Raghu
8th May 2006, 03:29 PM
Bingle

Who wrote 'PeriyaPuranam'??. in the film Thiruvarutchelvar, it was Shekizhar adighal, who would be narrating the Periyapuranam to the King.

bingleguy
8th May 2006, 03:37 PM
Raghu ... i probably feel it was written Sekkizhaar Perumaan himself ... it is a collection of the lives of the Siva Thondars !

Raghu
8th May 2006, 03:45 PM
Bingle,

Do you have list of all 63 Nyanmarghals' names, please?

Arthi
8th May 2006, 03:48 PM
Hi Bingle, a nice story(fact) about THINGALUR & Appudhiadigal.
In Thingalur Shiva's name is Kailasanadhar, and goddess name is Periyanayaki, which is a famous CHANDRASTALAM
It is still believed in THINGALUR that no one will die if any snakes bite the THINGALUR people.

water-shed is still in practise. There is a festival called "SAPTHASTHANAM", during this festival god from 7 villages(- a group of seven temples )
1. Thiruppazhanam 2. ThirucchOtRuththuRai 3. ThiruvEthikkudi 4. ThirukkaNdiyUr 5. ThiruppUnthuruththi 6. ThiruneyththAnam 7. ThiruvaiyARu
All gods go to thiruvaiyaru for AYYApRAPER's marriage.and AYYARAPPAER marry the Goddess which I also witnessed :)

Reason for the name Thiruvaiyaru= 5 rivers flow in that region :)

Song 886 in Thiruppugazh Madhani

maruvu lAvidu mOthi kulaippavar
samara vElenu nIdu vizhicchiyar
manathi lEkapa dUru paraththaiya ...... rathikELvar

mathana nOduRazh pUsa lidaicchiyar
iLainja rAruyir vAzhu mulaicchiyar
mathura mAmozhi pEsu kuNaththiyar ...... therumIthE

saruvi yAraiyum vAve nazhaippavar
poruLi lEveku Asai parappikaL
sakala thOthaka mAyai padipparai ...... yaNukAthE

salasa mEviya pAtha ninaiththumun
aruNai nAdathi lOthu thiruppukazh
thaNiya vOkaiyi lOtha enakkaruL ...... purivAyE

ariya kAnaka mEvu kuRaththithan
ithaNi lEsila nALu manaththudan
adavi thORume vAzhi yalpaththini ...... maNavALA

asurar vIdukaL nURu podippada
uzhavar sAkara mOdi yoLiththida
amarar nAdupon mAri mikuththida ...... ninaivOnE

thiruvin mAmara mArpa zhanappathi
ayilu sORavai yALu thuRaippathi
thisaiyi nAnmaRai thEdi yamuRkudi ...... vithiyAthi

siramu mAnilam vIzhtha rumeyppathi
pathuma nAyakan vAzhpa thineyppathi
thiruvai yARuda nEzhu thiruppathi ...... perumALE.

......... Meaning .........

maru ulAvidum Othi kulaippavar: They deliberately let loose their fragrant hair;

samara vEl enu(m) nIdu vizhicchiyar: their long eyes look like spears ready for combat;

manathilE kapadu Uru paraththaiyar: their mind is the place where treachery crawls (like a worm);

rathi kELvar mathananOdu uRazh pUsal idaicchiyar: their slender waist, ever ready for warfare, is like Manmathan*, the consort of Rathi;

iLainjar Aruyir vAzhum mulaicchiyar: the dear lives of young men dwell on their bosom;

mathura mA mozhi pEsu(m) kuNaththiyar: these whores have the habit of talking sweet and tall;

theru mIthE saruvi yAraiyum vA ena azhaippavar: they flirt with anyone on the street, readily extending invitation (to their home);

poruLilE veku Asai parappikaL: they are very keen on extracting money from others;

sakala thOthaka mAyai padipparai aNukAthE: without letting me go near these whores who practise all kinds of treacheries and sorceries,

salasam mEviya pAtha(m) ninaiththu mun aruNai nAdu athil Othu thiruppukazh thaNiya Okaiyil Otha enakku aruL purivAyE: kindly bless me to meditate on Your hallowed lotus-feet and bestow upon me the bliss of heartily chanting (at all times) the songs of Your glory which I sang previously in the region of ThiruvaNNAmalai!

ariya kAnakam mEvum kuRaththi than ithaNilE sila nALu(m) manaththudan adavi thORume vAzh iyal paththini maNavALA: In the unique forest of VaLLimalai, You set Your heart on a raised platform over the cornfield where she dwelt for some time; later, she lived and roamed about in many forests (like sandalwood forest and shaNbaga forest); She is VaLLI, the chaste damsel of the KuRavAs, and You are her consort, Oh Lord!

asurar vIdukaL nURu podip pada uzhavar sAkaram Odi oLiththida amarar nAdu pon mAri mikunthida ninaivOnE: Shattering all the houses of the demons into pieces and driving their armies into the seas where they hid themselves, You thoughtfully arranged for a heavy shower of gold in the celestial land, Oh Lord!

thiruvin mA maram Ar pazhanap pathi ayilum sORavai ALu(m) thuRaip pathi: There is a town called Thiruppazhanam (1) where big mango trees blessed by Goddess Lakshmi abound; another town called ThirucchOtRuththuRai (2) where plenty of food is available;

thisaiyil nAn maRai thEdiya mun kudi: an ancient town named ThiruvEthikkudi (3) where all the four vEdAs pursued the search of, and attained, Lord Siva;

vithi Athis siramum mA nilam vIzh tharu meyppathi: yet another ThirukkaNdiyUr (4) that witnessed the fall on its vast ground of the primal head of Lord Brahma (that was severed by Lord Siva);

pathuma nAyakan vAzh pathi neyppathi thiruvaiyARudan Ezhu thiruppathi perumALE.: the town of ThiruppUnthuruththi (5) where the Sun, seated on a lotus, resided worshipping Lord Siva, the town of ThiruneyththAnam (6), and finally, the town ThiruvaiyARu (7) all of which constitute the seven sacred places (sapthasthAnanam**) and Your abode, Oh Great One!

(* The reason why the waist of women is compared to Manmathan, God of Love .. due to the curse of Lord Siva, Manmathan is invisible to the eyes; so also is the slender waist of women which cannot be seen by the eyes!).

(** These comprise the towns of Thiruppazhanam, ThirucchOtRuththuRai, ThiruvEthikkudi, ThirukkaNdiyUr, ThiruppUnthuruththi, ThiruneyththAnam and ThiruvaiyARu all of which are near ThanjAvUr).

Arthi
8th May 2006, 03:49 PM
Yes periyapuranam is writtten by Sekkizhaar

bingleguy
8th May 2006, 03:58 PM
:clap: Arthi ! That was very informative

Arthi
8th May 2006, 04:03 PM
When I was there in THINGALUR...
A farmer was bitten by a snake. The village people took that man to the temple and KURUKKAL(priest) was called for... he came from the near by village(Thiruppazhanam) and sung the song and gave life to the villager

bingleguy
8th May 2006, 04:11 PM
:shock: was that a true incident ?

Arthi
8th May 2006, 04:16 PM
Yes :)

bingleguy
8th May 2006, 04:19 PM
Oh my !

Raghu
8th May 2006, 04:22 PM
When I was there in THINGALUR...
A farmer was bitten by a snake. The village people took that man to the temple and KURUKKAL(priest) was called for... he came from the near by village(Thiruppazhanam) and sung the song and gave life to the villager

Aum NamaShivaya

Arthi
8th May 2006, 04:30 PM
There is more about THINGALUR & Kailasanadhar... will write later

bingleguy
8th May 2006, 04:33 PM
Sure Arthi ... we are looking forward for the same !

Raghu
30th May 2006, 09:54 PM
I have a question ....

In the film ThiruVilaiyadhal, Lord Shiva in Disguise as the Muniver would say ' Nakeera nandraha ennai paar naa ezhuthiya paatu kutrama?' ....

then Nakeeran will say some thing, with the meaning, even If GOD commits a mistake it is a mistake...

While many took the Moral value behind this in different way, I think in a way this shows Nakeeran's ahangaram (EGO) ?? does any one agree with this ?

a.ratchasi
31st May 2006, 01:11 PM
While many took the Moral value behind this in different way, I think in a way this shows Nakeeran's ahangaram (EGO) ?? does any one agree with this ?

How can one be considered egoistic just because he is correcting someone superior?

Raghu
31st May 2006, 02:37 PM

How can one be considered egoistic just because he is correcting someone superior?

ar,

in a way, he (nakeerar) is assuming he knows everything :roll:

bingleguy
31st May 2006, 02:45 PM
I have a question ....

In the film ThiruVilaiyadhal, Lord Shiva in Disguise as the Muniver would say ' Nakeera nandraha ennai paar naa ezhuthiya paatu kutrama?' ....

then Nakeeran will say some thing, with the meaning, even If GOD commits a mistake it is a mistake...

The dialogue goes like this

LORD : nakkeeraa, ennai nandraaga paar, naan ezhudhiya thamizh paatu kuttramaa?
NAKK : mudalvare, neere mukkan mudalvanaayinum aagum, umadhu netriyil oru kann kaatiyapodhilum, umadhu udambellam kannakki sutta podhilum kutram kutramae, netri kann thirumpinum kutram kutramae !

This really does not show hs EGOistic nature ! it merely shows his standpoint, and how he is firm in his standpoint !
he is not in anyway egoistic, he immediately understands that it is the LORD ! but still wants to show that though it is GOD, a mistake is a mistake ! how can this be egoistic !?

Raghu
31st May 2006, 03:28 PM
I have a question ....

LORD : nakkeeraa, ennai nandraaga paar, naan ezhudhiya thamizh paatu kuttramaa?
NAKK : mudalvare, neere mukkan mudalvanaayinum aagum, umadhu netriyil oru kann kaatiyapodhilum, umadhu udambellam kannakki sutta podhilum kutram kutramae, netri kann thirumpinum kutram kutramae !

This really does not show hs EGOistic nature ! it merely shows his standpoint, and how he is firm in his standpoint !
he is not in anyway egoistic, he immediately understands that it is the LORD ! but still wants to show that though it is GOD, a mistake is a mistake ! how can this be egoistic !?

Bingle Dialogue sooperr :clap: :clap:

yes, I agree Nakeeran was trying to prove a point by saying that a 'Mistake is a mistake' even if its commited by the LORD, agreed, I understood this moral. but if you think in another dimension, you may feel that Nakeerar was being a bit arrogant, how can one assume he knows everything thing?, is not there a LIMIT to ones knowledge? this is what i meant Bingle .... Perhaps I am wrong, it is just a thought I had ... :-)

bingleguy
31st May 2006, 03:50 PM
:lol: Raghu ... neenga ninaichadhula thappilla, sometimes vera dimension la kooda paakalaam, but here it is mentioned in this dimension only ! that is Nakkeerar is very knowledgeable .. avaraiyum sodhanaikku ullakkanum ngardhu dhaan andha eesanin thiruvilaiaadal .... to make him feel that somebody is above him too ... tis not only him ... but this dialogue may not lead to the conclusion :-)

S.Balaji
31st May 2006, 04:43 PM
Raghu, let me put it this way

Nakeeran was not arrogant but he was very particular that the query of the king has to be convincingly answered

the right prize money should not go to a wrong person, an undeserving guy

Even if the person opposite is The Supreme Lord, one has the right to argue if your logic is fundamentally correct.

Its after all another drama played by Lord Shiva to test his devotees

By the way, when Lord Shiva clarifies that its drama played by Him only, I WONDER WHY DID HE FIRE HIS FLAMES ON NAKEERAR !
Is it an angry outburst ?

To sum up, what Nakeeran did was absolutely right . He was known for his supreme knowledge

He was called THAMIZ SANGATHIN THALAMAI PRADHINIDHI ! a honour conferred by the King !

Some more about Nakeerar . I think he only wrote about THIRUMURUGATRUPADAI, in praise of Lord Muruga

Raghu
31st May 2006, 06:37 PM
By the way, when Lord Shiva clarifies that its drama played by Him only, I WONDER WHY DID HE FIRE HIS FLAMES ON NAKEERAR !
Is it an angry outburst ?

Balaji anNe,

No I dont think so, I think Ishwaran wanted to test the fact that Pullavar Nakeeran would with stand anything to stand by his word, hence Ishwar burnt him to give physical pain, i dont know balaji anNe, it is my guess !

podalangai
31st May 2006, 07:27 PM
To sum up, what Nakeeran did was absolutely right . He was known for his supreme knowledge

Some more about Nakeerar . I think he only wrote about THIRUMURUGATRUPADAI, in praise of Lord Muruga
Was it the same Nakeerar who wrote the commentary on Iraiyanar Akapporul, which is supposed to be written by Lord Shiva himself?

Raghu
31st May 2006, 07:45 PM

Was it the same Nakeerar who wrote the commentary on Iraiyanar Akapporul, which is supposed to be written by Lord Shiva himself? :roll: :? :shock:

S.Balaji
1st June 2006, 12:30 AM
raghu,

Probably you are right. Nakeeran will emphatically tell Lord Shiva :

Umadhu netri kannal ennai suttapodhilum kutram kutrame.

I think Lord Shiva must have tested Nakeerar by spraying the fire & see whether Nakeerar surrenders to him due to pain but the movie shows that he gets into the pond inside the temple......
Under Lord Shiva's blessings, he comes out again

Raghu
1st June 2006, 02:51 PM
raghu,

Probably you are right. Nakeeran will emphatically tell Lord Shiva :

Umadhu netri kannal ennai suttapodhilum kutram kutrame.

I think Lord Shiva must have tested Nakeerar by spraying the fire & see whether Nakeerar surrenders to him due to pain but the movie shows that he gets into the pond inside the temple......
Under Lord Shiva's blessings, he comes out again

this was one of the best dialogue, may b superb * may use in Shivaji :lol:

kalnayak
3rd June 2006, 12:34 PM
Let us come back to the discussion of 63 Naayanmars. I think Kannappa naayanar puraanam is not discussed.

Kannappa naayanar - oru vedar kulathil piranthavar. Thinnan avarathu peyar. Yes He is a tamilan. (63 Naayanmaargalume Thamizhargalthan - Matra mozhi pesum idangalil idhu ponra bakthi konda adiyaargal ippadi pirbalyam adainthu, kovilil silai vaithu kumbidum alavirku valarnthaargala - enakku theriyavillai). Ippozhuthu Andhravil irukkum Kaalahasthi kovil Kannappar puraanathudan inanthathu.

Avar vaazhntha kaadu, andha kalahasthi malai arugil irunthathu. Thinamum vettaiyada sellum Thinnan, oru naal malai mel irukum Iraiyanar meni (Siva lingam) kandu bakthi kollugiraar. Athumudhal Irayanaarai kaapathu than kadamai ena kollugirar. Pagalil vettaiyadi kidaikum maamisa unavai padaithu Iravanai thozhugiraar. Ange pani puriyum archagar, intha maamisa unavu padayalai paarthu athirchi adaigiraar; aanaal avarukku Thinnan endroru vedar ippadi thozhugiraar endru theriyavillai. Avarathu kanavil thondrum Iraivan avarukku aaruthal koori, marunaal marainthirunthu thanathu bakthanin bakthiyai paarka ketkiraar.

Marunaal pagalil vettaiyaadi thirumbum Thinnan Iraiyanaar kannil raththam varuvathai paarkiraar. Yaar seitha kutram endru kopam kondu arugil virothigalai thedi parkirar. Pinbu Iraivanin kangal iruntha idathil thanadhu kannai eduthu raththam varuvathai niruthukiraar. Iththodu niruthinaal Thinnan bakthi sariyaaga theriyadhu endru ninaitha Iravan, thanathu marukannilum raththam vazhiya vidukirar. Ippodhu manam thalaraadha Thinnan, thanathu kaalai thooki Iravan kannaruge adiyaalathirku vaithukondu, thanathu marukannaiyum ambaal thonda, manam porukkaatha Iraiyanaar, "Nillu Kannapa, Nillu" endru Thinnanaarai "Kannapa" endru thaduthu, Siva pathavi alithu than aruge iruthi kolkiraar.

Iravan thanathu adiyaargalai (63 Naayanmaargal) ovvuru idathil vaithu irupathaaga kettirukiren. Kannappa naayanaar Iraivannukku samamaaga avar aruge amarnthathu avarathu alavatra Bakthiyin meleetalthan.

Raghu
6th June 2006, 03:40 PM
Dear Kalnayak,

Kannapar peruman was dicussed before, but not much was discussed about him, it would be great, if any one can provide a list of all 63 nayanmarghal.

S.Balaji
6th June 2006, 03:45 PM
Raghu dear,

Here is the link for 63 nayanmargal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayanars#63_Nayanars

How is it ? lakalakalaka :D

vataa

Raghu
6th June 2006, 04:57 PM
Dear Balaji anNe,

Lakalakalakla indeed sooooper link!

Dear kalnayak,

Pls read this about Kannapar nayanar!

Kannapa, a tribal hunter, was a devoted follower of Lord Siva and one of the 63 Nayanars. Once a priest at the temple objected to his offering meat to a Siva linga. Lord Siva wanted to test the extent of Kannapa's devotion. Blood issued from the right side of the Linga. Kannapa tried to treat it with herbs but failed. So he gouged out his right eye and used it to cover the bleeding wound. Then the left eye of the linga began to bleed. Kannappa was about to gouge out his left eye when he was stopped by Siva, who took him, placed him on his right side and granted mukti.

According to Swami Sivananda's book, Sixty-Three Nayanar Saints, pg. 44, some Saivite traditions believe that Kannappa was the reincarnation of Arjuna. Arjuna, worshipped Siva for seeking the Pasupatha Astra and failed to recognize Him in the form of a hunter. Thus, according to this tradition, Arjuna had to be born as a hunter and adore the Lord before attaining final liberation. This belief is not adopted by all Hindus.

The famed Kalahasti temple, located near the renowned Tirupati temple is the site of this incident.

S.Balaji
6th June 2006, 05:10 PM
[tscii:8c6fea742c]Raghu,

Given below is the detailed account of KN :

Nagan was the king of hunters at Uduppur in Pottapi Nadu. His wife was Tattai. They were great devotees of Lord Subramanya. By His grace, they had a child, after a long time. It was very heavy: so, they named him Tinnanar.

Tinnanar was Arjuna in the previous birth, according to Tiru Kalahasthi Puranam. When he went to worship Siva, to get Pasupatha Astra, and when the Lord came to him as a hunter, Arjuna did not recognise Him. So, he had to be born as a hunter again and adore the Lord, before attaining Final Liberation.

Tinnanar was educated according to the hunters’ customs. He became a good archer. Even when he was young, his father retired, and crowned him king. Though he was a hunter and carried on hunting as his Dharma, Tinnanar was full of love and would not kill young ones, females, diseased animals, etc. Spiritually, he had already killed the animals within himself, viz., lust, anger, greed, vanity, etc.

One day, Tinnanar went out hunting. A pig escaped from its net and was running away. Tinnanar pursued it accompanied by two others, Nanan and Kadan. The pig was tired and stood near a tree. It was quickly killed by Tinnanar. They were tired, too, and thirsty. They proceeded towards the Ponmukali. Tinnanar wanted to climb the nearby mountain. Nanan, too, volunteered to follow him, saying that on that, the Kalahasthi hill, there was Lord Kudumithevar (God with a Tuft). Kadan was busy cooking the pork.

Even when he began to climb the hill, there was a definite change coming over Tinnanar, owing to past Samskaras. He felt that a great burden was being lifted off his shoulders. He was losing body-consciousness. As he saw the Lord there, he felt supreme love surging in his heart. He embraced the Lingam and kissed It. He began to shed tears of joy. He felt that the Lord was lonely there, and that he should thenceforth remain with Him. Again, he thought that the Lord might be hungry. Though he was reluctant to leave the Lord alone, he quickly came down the hill to fetch some food for the Lord. He took the best pieces of the pork, tasted them and ear-marked the very best for Him. In the mean time, he gathered from Nanan that the Lord was worshipped daily with water, flowers, etc, before the food was offered to Him. So, he began to collect the other articles of worship. He filled his own mouth with water from the river. Flowers, he gathered and wore them on his head! He took the pork, bow and arrow and went up the hill again, alone this time.

At the temple, Tinnanar poured from his mouth, the water that he had brought for His worship. That was his ‘Abhishekam’. Then he decorated the Lingam with the flowers he had brought on his own head. This was his ‘Archana’. He then placed the pork before the Lord. He went out and stood guard for Him, at the entrance, lest some wild animals should hurt Him. In the morning again he went out to hunt and bring fresh food for the Lord.

In the mean time, Nanan and Kadan worried about the change that had come over Tinnanar (which they thought to be madness). They went and reported the matter to Tinnanar’s parents. They came and tried, in vain, to take him back. They, too, went away.

When Tinnanar left the temple in the morning to get food for the Lord, Sivagochariar, the temple priest, came there for the usual orthodox worship. He was horrified at the desecration that some unknown person had done in the temple. He was well versed in the Agamas (rituals of Siva-worship). He performed the necessary purificatory rites and took bath again and began his formal worship. He brought water in a holy pot, with a bandage around his own mouth, lest the breath of his mouth should pollute it. He brought fresh flowers in a holy basket. He brought fruits and sweets, newly made and unpolluted by anyone tasting it, before the Lord for being offered to Him. He went home after the worship.

Tinnanar returned with fresh meat. He removed the priest’s decorations, and did the worship in his own way, and then as usual, stood guard at the entrance.

This went on for five days. The priest was greatly upset about the desecration of the holy place. He appealed to the Lord to stop it. Lord Siva wanted to show to Sivagochariar the nature of Tinnanar’s supreme devotion. He commanded him in a dream, to hide himself behind the Lingam, when Tinnanar went to the temple the next day, and watch what took place.

On the sixth day, Tinnanar went out as usual for getting the Lord’s food. While returning, he saw many ill omens, which made him feel that something had happened to the Lord: he was so unconscious of himself, that he did not think that something could happen to him. He ran towards the Lord. He was grieved to see blood issuing from the Lord’s right eye. The articles he had brought for the worship dropped from his hand. He wept bitterly. He could not find who had done this to the Lord. He treated the eye with herbs he knew of. Still the bleeding did not stop. A simple idea occurred to him: ‘flesh for flesh’. At once, with his own arrow, he took out his own right eye, and fixed it over the right eye of the Lord. The bleeding stopped. He was very happy. When he was dancing in ecstasy, he noticed that the Lord’s left eye had begun to bleed. But, he had already found out the remedy. There was only one problem: how to locate the eye of the Lord, when his own eye had been pulled out. So, Tinnanar planted his foot at the place where the Lord’s left eye was on the Lingam, and began to pull his left eye out, with his arrow.

At once, Lord Siva caught hold of his hand and said: ‘My dear child, Kannappa! Stop plucking your eye.’ The Lord repeated the word Kannappa thrice. Kannappar was thrice blessed. Tinnanar became Kannappar, because he gave his own eye to the Lord. Lord Siva took him with both Hands, and kept him on His right side. Kannappar regained his vision and lived as god himself. Sivagochariar understood the true nature of devotion.

This story has an esoteric meaning, too. Nayanar had conquered all other evils: but, Anava Malam or egoism had to be killed, too. The wild pig represents this. Supreme Bhakti dawned, the moment this was killed. In its chase, the seeker is accompanied by good and evil (the two hunters Nanan and Kadan). Nanan (good) described the glory of the Lord to him: Nanan represents good Samskaras. Kadan (the evil) had to be left behind. The aspirant with good Samskaras, goes to His Presence. But, when he has to attain God-realisation, even this has to be renounced. Hence, Nayanar, when he went to worship Him, went alone. Nayanar’s parents (the hidden good and evil tendencies and worldly desires) tried but failed to take him away from God. The Lord asked the priest to hide behind Him, while Tinnanar was in front: this means, true Bhakti is far superior to mere ritual. Tinnanar’s readiness to pluck out his own eyes for His sake is total self-surrender or Atma-Nivedan, the highest peak of devotion which immediately reveals the Lord in all His glory.

[/tscii:8c6fea742c]

S.Balaji
6th June 2006, 05:12 PM
Raghu,

the link below gives FULL ACCOUNT OF ALL THE 63 !

http://www.dlshq.org/download/nayanar.htm#_VPID_13

Raghu,

YOU SHOULD VISIT TAMIL NADU . YOUR ROOTS ARE IN SRILANKA & TN ........

We shall arrange for a trip to all major temples when I am in Chennai next year

S.Balaji
6th June 2006, 05:15 PM
This Kannappar character is so famous that Dr. Rajkumar once acted as this character by name Beda kannappa !

Raghu
13th June 2006, 06:42 PM
This Kannappar character is so famous that Dr. Rajkumar once acted as this character by name Beda kannappa !

Balaji anNe,

Is that a Telugu film or a Kannada film ?

thanks

S.Balaji
13th June 2006, 08:20 PM

Balaji anNe,

Is that a Telugu film or a Kannada film ?

thanks

Kannada film :)

Raghu
25th August 2006, 06:53 PM
Mahadeva, mighty god, Hindu Puranic, is an important epithet of Shiva with three heads (two male and one female) signifying the three aspects--Aghora (right), Saumya (center), and Shakti (left). The attributes are the ax, bell, hook, mirror, noose, staff, sword, tree, and trident. This term is also identified as a manifestation of Shiva and one of the Ekadasarudras (eleven forms of Rudra). In northern India among the tribes including the Gonds, the expression Mahadeo (great god) is directed toward Shiva as the supreme deity. A.G.H

The origin of the name Rudra is uncertain; its etymologies are symbolic. Possibly, the meaning is "the red one." The god is called Rudra in the Puranas because he wept at birth, the word for weeping being the root rut-. In other versions the name may mean "Remover of Pain," for rut is the term given for three forms of pain (physical, emotional, and spiritual) found in the world. Rudra was eventually identified with Shiva, the god of the people conquered by the Aryans, and became so associated with the god that he was on of Shiva's many aspects.
In the Vedas Rudra is the god of storms, of howling winds, and is somewhat feared, being separated from the other gods in certain rituals and kept with malevolent spirits and deities. Rudra gives sinners the tortures of hell: He is death, the demon, the cause of their tears, the god that kills. He is also auspicious," the lord of songs, of sacrifices, the sweet-scented divine healer, the most generous of gods who bestows property and welfare, not just to humankind but also to horses, cows, and sheep, the mainstay of the early Aryan economy. As a warrior, he rides his chariot bearing a thunderbolt and shooting arrows from his formidable bow. A.G.H.

Shiva (or Siva), in Hinduism, is one of the major gods and the center of worship of numerous devotional cults. Shiva composes a triad along with Brahman and Vishnu, and his worship called by a variety of names is primary in Hinduism. Shiva does not appear in early Vedic scriptures where the god Rudra, the Howler or Roarer, the Terrible One, is dominant; as Shiva later assumes a more dominant god role it is from Rudra's characteristics that he assumed the role of destroyer.
Shiva, in the fullest sense, is a god of the common people, although at first excluded by the Aryans. Representations of a god appearing identical to Shiva have been discovered in the cities of the Indus Valley, especially those of stamp seals, where he is shown three-faced and seated in the lotus position of meditation, surrounded by animals, and wearing what appears to be a headdress of horns. In these small representations he appears to be lean and ascetic, his body marked by painted stripes, and his arms extended over his knees. In other representations Shiva is fair, with four faces and three eyes. The third eye, situated in the middle of his forehead, has a fiery glance from which all created things shrink. Three horizontal lines sometimes represent Shiva's third eye, a mark worn by devotees.
It is because the horns of his previously mentioned headdress resemble the horns of the buffalo that Shiva has been associated with the later buffalo god Mhasoba, the deity of primitive pastoral tribes who, though most commonly located in the South, wander all over the subcontinent. The buffalo god was in conflict with the Earth Mother, the goddess of the rival food-gathering (agricultural) people; eventually the two are found linked as male and female, the forerunners, it is presumed, of the Shiva and Shakti (or Shiva-Parvati, Shiva-Durga, etc.) of more prehistoric times. Shiva is also a god of various goblins and demons, minor deities inherited from primitive ages, and is closely identified animals, not only his famous bull Nandi (a bull alone is another motif of the Indus stamp seals) but also a sacred cobra, and the elephant god Maha-Ganapati or Ganesa, his son; he is occasionally glad in a tiger skin or is accompanied by a dear. Possibly all these animals are totemic remnants that have coalesced around this god. Also, over the millennia, innumerable local gods have been absorbed into his more powerful cult and became identified as aspects of Shiva. He has 1,008 names (108 in some recensions), which are but manifestations of his accreted power, and so leading to one of his names of Mahadeva or Mahesvara (the Great God).

Raghu
17th November 2006, 03:57 PM
Dear all

Can some1 pls shed some lights on to the 12 Jyothilingams in India ??

Many thanks

virarajendra
18th November 2006, 01:10 PM
The twelve Jothirlinga Thalams are as follows;

(1) Thiriyambakesvaram in Nasik, Maharastra

(2) Visvesvaram - Varanasi (Kasi), Uttra Pradesh

(3) Someswaram - Somnath, Gujerat

(4) Mahakaleswaram - Ujjayini, Madya Pradesh

(5) Omkareswaram - Inthoor, Madya Pradesh
(or Amaleswarerm)

(6) Kethareswaram - Kedarnath, Uttranjal Pradesh

(7) Sri Kiraneswaram - Ellora, Maharashtra
(or Kushmeswarerm)

(8) Mallikaarunjunam - Sri Sailam, Andhra Pradesh

(9) Nageswaram - Oundha, Maharashtra

(10) Vaijayanatham - Parali, Maharastra

(11) Bhimasangaram - Pune, Maharashtra

(12) Rameeswarem - Tamil Nadu

Refer the book titled "Panniru Jothilinga Thala Puranam" in Tamil by
Dr Sivappriya - Delhi, Published by Prema Pirasuram, Kodambaakkam, Chennai, Tamil Nadu

virarajendra
18th November 2006, 01:48 PM
The life history of Maheswara Bakthas 63 or Sixty three Tamil Saiva Nayanmars (Saints) are given in the Periyapuranam (in Tamil) of Seikkilar, also briefly in the 7th Thirumurai (in Tamil) of the Saint Sunderamoorthy Nayanar, and in the 11th Thurumurai collection by Tamil Saiva Saint Nambi Andar Nambi.

Other than the history of the 63 Maheswara Bakthas or Saiva Nayanmars in Periya Puranam, from the 8th Thurumurai up to 11th Thirumurai speaks of 23 more Maheswara Bakthas or Saiva Saints. The 12th Thirumurai is the Periyapuranam referred above.

In addition to the above the Tamil Saivites should also know of the two more small Puranams in Tamil, one of which is the Thirumuraikanda Puranam and the other being the Seikkilar Purana Varalaru both composed by Umapathi Sivachaariyar.

The full text of the above two Puranams, and the 12 Thirumurais complete, which includes Saint Maanikkavasagar's Thiruvasakam, Saint Thirumoolar's Thirumanthiram, and Seikkilaar's Periyapuranam, and also the other two important Tamil Saiva religious texts namely the Kallaadam and ThiruvilaiyadalPuranam (all in Tamil) could be printed out from the Website with the following URL.

http://www.shaivam.org/siddhanta/sta.htm

In the two Puranas by Umapathi Sivachariyar, the former speaks of how the great Chola Emperor Raja Raja - 1 (A.D.985 - 1014) of Tamil Nadu brought forth again to limelight the Tamil Thirumuraihal of the great Saiva Nayamars, after some period of neglect in Tamil Nadu between the period of early 9th century to late 10th century in the Tamil Nadu temples.

Chola Emperor Rajaraja made them republished and made arrangement for them to be sung in the Siva Temples in Tamil Nadu by a class of people titled the Othuvars. Even though this practice has gradually diminished to a certain extent today, still it survives in some Siva temples in Tamil Nadu which I too had wittnessed in Madurai Meenatchi Temple and Thiruvannamalai Temples.

Tamil Saivites with the assistance of Hindu Aranilyam of Tamil Nadu should revive this holy practice in all Siva Temples in Tamil Nadu, study the 12 Thirumurais and the two Puranams mentioned above the Kallaadam and Thiruvilaiyadal Puranam to know more of Tamil Saivaism, and to give the due place for Tamil Language in all Tamil Nadu Siva Temples.

Raghu
18th November 2006, 08:24 PM
Virarajendra,

thanks a million 4 this, (11) Bhimasangaram - Pune, Maharashtra - is it not the story of Ishwar destroying an asura called bhima?

virarajendra
20th November 2006, 12:27 AM
Dear Ragu,

Dr Sivappriya in her book has given her explanation in connection with same - which is given below briefly, in my own words:

"Sangaram" means doing good. Since Parameshwaran is doing good to all living beings, he is known as Sangaran.

"Sangaaram" (Samhaaram) means destruction. In this Thalam he is said to have done good to Bhima the son of Kubera. Hence it is known as Bimasangaram and not Bimasangaaram.

----------------------------

Further the Seikkilar Puranam also gives much details on 63 + 23 Tamil Saiva Saints (Maheswara Bakthas), and on the religious literatures composed by them - in addition to what is given in Saint Sunderamoorthi Nayanar's, Saint Nambiandar Nambi's Thirumurai compositions and in the Periyapuranam of Seikkilar (also known as Thiruththondar Puranam).

The Thirumuraikanda Puranam in addition to the informations on how the Emperor Rajaraja Chola - 1 brought to light again the Tamil Thirumurais from it's disuse, and re-introduced it's recitations again in the Saiva Temples in Tamil Nadu - also the gives the details of the early Tamil Panns (Ragas) used in the recitation of these Thirumuraippathikams in the temples.

Raghu
20th November 2006, 03:46 PM
Dear Virarajendra,

Can you pls provide me some URL/Links regarding Dr.Sivapriya's books ?

Many thanks

virarajendra
24th November 2006, 07:51 AM
Dear Ragu,

I only know of the above book of Dr Sivapriya which could be obtained from Prema Pirasuram, Chennai, as mentioned in my earlier posting.

I am not aware of any other books written by her or of any Website of her.

virarajendra
29th November 2006, 09:18 AM
In some Tamil Nadu Sivan Temples, much prominance is also given to the reverence and worship of the 63 - Tamil Saiva Saints (Maheswara Bakthas) in their annual festivals.

One such temple is the Thiruvannaamalai Arunaasaleswarer (Sivan) Temple of Tamil Nadu. The 10 - days annual Karththikai Theepam Festival is presently being celeberated in this temple which commenced on the 24th of this month (November).

Today (29-11-2006) - in the morning the worship and the ceremonial Procession of the 63 - Tamil Saiva Saints are being conducted in this temple city

The other Sivan temple which gives much prominance to the worship of the 63 - Tamil Saiva Saints at festival times is the Mylapore Kapaaleechcharam Temple in Chennai.

This practice should be revived in a big way in all Tamil Nadu Sivan Temples, with the study of the Periyapuram - 12th Thirumurai (in Tamil) recited by the Saiva Kurukkals or Sivachariyars in the respective Temples - during their annual festivals, along with the recitation of the selected Thevarems form the first eleven Thirumurais (in Tamil), in absolute reverence by Othuvars to kindle the spiritual feelings of those who come to these annual festivals.

Raghu
7th December 2006, 10:47 PM
In some Tamil Nadu Sivan Temples, much prominance is also given to the reverence and worship of the 63 - Tamil Saiva Saints (Maheswara Bakthas) in their annual festivals.

One such temple is the Thiruvannaamalai Arunaasaleswarer (Sivan) Temple of Tamil Nadu. The 10 - days annual Karththikai Theepam Festival is presently being celeberated in this temple which commenced on the 24th of this month (November).

Today (29-11-2006) - in the morning the worship and the ceremonial Procession of the 63 - Tamil Saiva Saints are being conducted in this temple city

The other Sivan temple which gives much prominance to the worship of the 63 - Tamil Saiva Saints at festival times is the Mylapore Kapaaleechcharam Temple in Chennai.

This practice should be revived in a big way in all Tamil Nadu Sivan Temples, with the study of the Periyapuram - 12th Thirumurai (in Tamil) recited by the Saiva Kurukkals or Sivachariyars in the respective Temples - during their annual festivals, along with the recitation of the selected Thevarems form the first eleven Thirumurais (in Tamil), in absolute reverence by Othuvars to kindle the spiritual feelings of those who come to these annual festivals.

Dear virarajendra

Thanks, pls tell me a bit more about the Annamalai deepam?

virarajendra
8th December 2006, 07:25 AM
Dear Ragu

A research article on "Karththikai Vilakkeedu" will appear in this website within next two weeks.

Raghu
8th December 2006, 03:55 PM
Dear Ragu

A research article on "Karththikai Vilakkeedu" will appear in this website within next two weeks.

thanks, but is it not Lord Murugan's festival, rather than Maheshwar?? how is that related to Annamalai deepam?

sundararaj
18th December 2006, 02:36 PM
A good thread. Thank you so much.

Raghu
19th December 2006, 03:50 PM
A good thread. Thank you so much.

Ellam Eeasn Seyal :D

PARAMASHIVAN
9th June 2010, 08:13 PM
Brought forward

Isaacnub
20th July 2013, 10:44 AM
[tscii:1fead2bdc1]Shall we discuss about Siruthondar alias Paranjothi .. Born in the Village Thiruchengaatkudi in Thanjavur District , he belongs to the 5th century AD and was a contemprory to Thirunavukarasar and Nyanasambandhar. The legend says that he actually wanted to have good education and moved to Kanchi but later joined the Pallava army under Mahendra varma Pallava . He was one of the architects of rebuilding the Pallava empire under Mamalla Narasimha the great Pallava ruler of the 5th Century. Paranjothi was instrumental in building a massive army which went to Vatapi ( today’s Badami in Upper Karnataka and destroyed the mighty Pulikesi , the Chalukiya King and won the pride of the Pallavas back as earlier Mahendravarma was defeated by Pulikesi during his Southern march.
Paranjothi later got inspired by Thirunavukarasar and parted ways with Narasimha and moved towards spiritual life. He was called Siruthondar as he wanted to serve the devotees of Lord Shiva.
There is another interesting aspect in his life . It is believed that after defeating Pulikesi, he brought the Vinayaka idol from Vatapi and installed it in his native village of Thiruchengatkudi. It is heard that this temple is still in existence in this village.
[/tscii:1fead2bdc1]

Hello Mr S.Balaji, i'm new to this forum and came here by searching for "Thiruchengatkudi" in google, because i feel Thiruchengatkudi is a place in namkkal district called today as Thiruchengode and more details about this place can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiruchengode i would like to know which is the real Thiruchengatkudi, whether the one in namakkal or in thanjavur?