PDA

View Full Version : Thiruvasakam if not sung by IR

krihoo
2nd September 2005, 09:36 AM
GUYS,

switch on u r music knowledge and analytical skills and suggest...if IR dint sing and were to choose which singers will be best for which of the Thiruvasakam songs

well i guess

POOVAR- shankar mahadevan ???
POLLA VINAYE- SPB ???
KOTHUMBI-Unni krishnan ???
UMBARKA-Yesudoss ???
MUTHU-Current singers are best already
PUTRI VAA(Last one , i dont remember the lyrics)-Hariharan ??

Shankar
2nd September 2005, 10:29 AM
poovar is a low pitched songs which once in a while goes to high pitch...I would prefer KJY of late 80s...Since he's not in his elements, the next best would be madhu balakrishnan.

and Hariharan should be kept as far away from this album as possible :-)

Shankar
2nd September 2005, 10:30 AM
umbarkatkarasE - Shankar mahadevan would be good

alwarpet_andavan
2nd September 2005, 01:22 PM
This is just my not so humble opinion,and i think specifically for TIS, if anyone other tha Raaja had sung, it would have been sacrilege, not in the religious sense but in a musical and spiritual sense. He might not have been the best singer technically speaking (as many here have pointed out) but the FEEL he gives and the effect he has on me cannot be matched by any other singer.

Shankar
2nd September 2005, 02:08 PM
aa,
very true...Raja anubavichu pAdara mAdhiri yAr pAdiyirundhAlum mudiyAdhu! I don't give a damn for technical correctness as long as the song is captivating.

since krihoo wants the next best thing to Raja, I thought about the possible replacement.

emjay
2nd September 2005, 04:55 PM
Had this album got released 10-15 years back, I am sure IR would have given "Poovar Senni Mannan" to KJY. "Kothumbi" by Unnikrishnan might be soothing too :)

As shankar and aa pointed out, IR melts. He rocks :)

TISK
2nd September 2005, 06:59 PM
I met with Sri. K.J. Jeusdas 2 weeks ago in Raleigh NC where he gave a concert and presented him with the album. He was very happy to receive it as he could not get one and was interested as his son has sung a piece in it. During the conversation, he told me that IIR actually wanted him to sing a song in the album but he could not go to India due to some conflicts with his already booked concerts in USA.
Well, in this modern era of technology, had both of them been serious, they could have found out a way to get him sing but let us take it at face value and at least feel happy that IIR DID think of other singers for this album at some point of time and it didn't happen that way!
Aside, KJJ still has a good voice and would have excelled in 'Poovaar' and 'UmbarkatkarasE', without any doubts. But, as "AlAN' has said, I am very comfortable with the feel IIR has given to the songs.
FINALLY, Fr. has written a very passionate mail to me indicating his plight and seeking all your help.
This is what you can do.
Just get one more person to buy this CD/DVD in USA from www.tis-usa.com.
At least hard core fans make a pledge to make this CD/DVD as your GIFT IDEA for the next 12 months, whatever may be the occasion.
Thank you.

ezy0265
2nd September 2005, 10:18 PM
I am totally sick of Tisk keep on pleading in this forum to buy one more CD. My dear friend, we have done more than our part in supporting this cause by buying the original, even though it took damn delayed before it came to Singapore. No one bothered to make this available in due time. I had to get mine through my uncle who bought it from India. And that also sick to note without the promised DVD. Incompetence at all stages and unprofessionalism at each step of this project. Fr. or whoever should have handed these to professionals to handle. No everyone was like in it for glory....
And up till now no figure of sales has been updated and any level, but like a scam you go on pleading among the same audience...please stop 'kundu sattikkul kuthurai Ottum' act and get out to do sales. You have got more than expected publicity through all the free media coverage....and yet you make it sound like there is not enough sales....Common please justify your acts....

njv
2nd September 2005, 10:44 PM
<digression>
ezy0265 can you just shut the fck up. if you dont wnat to buy another cd, keep quite. TISK put in his personal money for TIS, so he has every reason to promote the CD. Just keep quite.
<digression>

KJY could have done a good job (if not better) with Poovar senni mannan. I cant think of any one else singing any other song.

TISK
2nd September 2005, 10:53 PM
'njv', pl. dont lose your cool. This guy is just reproducing one of his own old mails.
If he has bought it, well and good.
I am only appealing to those who haven't bought it yet to be influenced by those who have done it .
If he can't do it, let him bark!
sooriyanaip paarththu......'nnu vittidunga!
YIA!

vijayr
3rd September 2005, 12:55 AM
In the TIS programe on SS music, towards the end IR says just like how a bee sips from the flower 96 times before it makes it into honey, likewise the number of times IR sings a song the sweeter a song gets. "oru vaNdu 96 murai vaayil pottu umizhum, adhan piragu adhu thenaagaradhu. adhu pOl oru paadalai NAAN melum melum paada adhu merugeri ungaL kaadhil thenaai paaigiradhu". :-) :-)

thumburu
5th September 2005, 05:42 PM
Enakkennamo IR paada paada raagam illai roham thaan :((
No brickbats please, iam tired

app_engine
7th September 2005, 02:15 AM
suggestions for few more TbI threads...

`thiruvasagam if not played by budapest orchestra'
`thiruvasagam if not using english interspersed lyrics'
`thiruvasagam if recorded in ARR's studio'
`thiruvasagam if not conducted by laslo kovacs but by the conductor of RPO'
`thiruvasagam if not composed by IR but by Deva'
`thiruvasagam if not written by Manikkavasakar'

krihoo
8th September 2005, 03:44 PM
ha haa...relax..boss what u told for fun are already mentioned in negative point of TIS....that we should have our orchestra, Arr can do better than richard king , and instrumental album of TIS without lyrics etc....

what to do this is such a big project and so much depth....so obviously sometimes there wud be more topics on one such thing........... i agree the last one about SCIENTIFIC SECRET can be added in some existing thread...but the rest are having potential to be discussed a lot !!

karthik_sa2
22nd September 2005, 10:51 PM
UYS,

switch on u r music knowledge and analytical skills and suggest...if IR dint sing and were to choose which singers will be best for which of the Thiruvasakam songs

well i guess

POOVAR- shankar mahadevan ???
POLLA VINAYE- SPB ???
KOTHUMBI-Unni krishnan ???
UMBARKA-Yesudoss ???
MUTHU-Current singers are best already
PUTRI VAA(Last one , i dont remember the lyrics)-Hariharan ??[c

kothumbi-unnikrishnan :lol: :lol: :lol:
and shankar mahadevan singing poovar is the joke of the millenium
this project is one of the lifetime time work of IR and for gods sake pls do not even talk about unnikrishan,shankarmahadevan,srinivas etc in this.and where the hell do u think IR sags technically while singing.the only disadvantage with ir is his nasal voice.but its suits very well for this album. i felt umbarka a bit not suitable for ir bcos of its pitch.well
my other choices wud have been kjy,spb or madhu balakrishnan incase

krihoo
23rd September 2005, 07:43 AM
what is so funny ?? when a film composer like IR can compose for thiruvasakam , why not film singer like shankar mahadevan sing devotional song ????

karthik_sa2
23rd September 2005, 05:38 PM
first of all shankar mahadevan is not a singer.he is a shouter.next point is pronounciation which is very important esspecailly for this album thiruvasagam.i dont think so shankar can properly pronounce certain normal tamil words itself.how can u possibly think of him for this album.
unnikrishnan pronounciation no probs at all.but even he cant fit into this bill simply bcos his voice lacks depth.
by the way i dont understand what u mean by illayraja- film composer.IR is not a mere film composer alone.he is beyond all that

vijayr
23rd September 2005, 07:41 PM
"first of all shankar mahadevan is not a singer.he is a shouter."

karthis_sa2 looks like you havent listened much to Shankar's non-filmi works or non-TFM. The current inept TFM MDs have been mainly using him for flat kuthuthu songs. Listen to some of his works like Breathless and then conclude. I am not saying that he should have sung in TIS definitely, but making a general point about his singing abilities, which hasnt been showcased at all in TFM. His pronunciation is much better than that of Bhava's(and Yuvan's) who cant differentiate between "La" and "zha" being tamilians.

balaji
23rd September 2005, 08:13 PM
As Vjiayr has pointed out correctly it is unfair to judge Shankar M based on the songs he has been asked to sing in Tamil and Telugu. He did a good job in 'Aasai Aasai.. from Dhool.

Vijayr,

On the pronounciation I always held Shankar at high esteem, util I heard the Shankar/Vasundra song in 'Kandal Naal Muthal'. Shankar pronounces 'PORKAL(!)AM' as PORKALAM (mellina la) while even Vasundra does a good job..
This may be a slip, but to me was a big surprise...

May be YSR had a hand in this as you rightly said there may be only one 'La' in Tamil as far as he may be concerned!.

Bala

krihoo
24th September 2005, 08:08 AM
who knows ....if given oppurtunity shankar mahadevan can start new identiy....

everyone ridiculed when Amitab want to be hero ...now even after becoming old he still is in top....

even IR was ridiculed in the begining...
u know the lady who did SITA role in TVs RAMAYAN ...she used to do all bitch and vamp roles.....when given oppurtunity she proved she can justify SITA role ...which is complelty opposite to what she was doing .....

man ...if we think beyond just what we see , we can create new things .....