25th August 2005, 04:25 PM
guys ,

According to your liking rank
Nothing but wind, How to name it , India 24 Hrs and Thiruvasakam

mine is

i really am unable to tell...........

alias
25th August 2005, 10:59 PM
Except TIS, I think the rest if you listen now are bunch of ringtones. Nothing but wind and How to Name it are like Pokeman music IMO. I think they can made into ringtones and sold in stores.

When they were released they sound good but now with the invention of new rhythm, these albums look out of place. The only exception may be the flute of Hariprasad Churasia.

emjay
25th August 2005, 11:18 PM
Poor taste!! You can better stay away from this thread!

kr
26th August 2005, 12:07 AM
emjay:

I am as irriated as you are when there are some people here are obsessed with denigrating IR and his works - you can see obsessive postings trying to shove all his acheivements to nothing, trying to dismiss of his new works giving the time to listen to them and repeating non-facts louder and more obsessed than others believing that they can outshout others and those non-facts may be true.

But the spirit of democracy and freedom is to tolerate those expressions - however intolerable they are.

The real wisdom in all this is that all these ramblings by these people cannot denigrate IR or his works or reflect his works. Irrespective of how hard they may try to denounce and enigrate IR and his works, they cannot do anything to IR and his achievements. Their posts only reflect on the people who write these comments - their obsessions, bias, prejudices, anxieties, fears and ignorance.

If you can get yourself to ignore such postings, I believe they will go away. I think the thrill that they get is when you and I respond like we did to that post.

alias
26th August 2005, 12:20 AM
Hey, if you dont like the post, you can stay away. That is my personal opinion about those mentioned albums.

KR, it reflects your fear and anxiety. You talk about freedom and still try to supress other people's opinion. Long live democracy :lol:

I was pondering a little bit on the way people treat people who try to find fault with IR music. It is a sin or rather blasphemy to say anything against IR in this forum. I ask them how come finding fault with IR or not liking his album is considered abusing IR when these people do the same things with other MD and their music. Everyone has different taste and so am I. I might not like NBW or HTNI but like other works of IR. When I called his instrumental music a ringtone or pokemon music, people call it abusing IR and when I say IR can do remixes of his songs since he could not do anything new, people think it is an abuse to IR. This is ridiculous. :twisted:

One thing I want to straight out, if finding fault with IR music or conveying opinions about IR music is a sin in this forum then I will do as many times as I can. :evil:

app_engine
26th August 2005, 12:21 AM
Two weeks back, I had a 3 hour drive with a couple of American friends (one of them a bachelor...me & the other forced bachelors) to OH & back. I had handpicked a few CD's for this trip, which included PM's `Love is blue' & our man's HTNI. It also had some TFM CD's and Hindi QSQT (I can listen to this any number of times).

One of them used to play drums (African traditional type) and the other plays trumpet very well. (I can't play anything ofcourse).

Onward, I played PM, QSQT & some western. They were quite appreciative of PM & QSQT -which gave me some confidence that they may like IR (I didn't want to be pushy, kind of gauging their response to the type of music I like).

While returning, I mustered up some boldness to play HTNI! Sure enough, I gave them some description about the composer and also a warning that it'll be way different from anything they've heard and does include some traditional Indian instruments like veeNA & mridhangam.

I needn't have been so defensive as they enjoyed a few tracks! Apart from making appreciative comments, one of them told that it's like a grand background score for a royal epic...He said, he can visualise a palace with king and courtiers etc when listening to the score! Emboldened by their liking, I continued with some beautiful selections from TFM (mostly SJ songs) and they simply loved them!

Anyday, my #1 choice is HTNI!

njv
26th August 2005, 01:14 AM
There is no real way of ranking these, but let me rank anyways the way my hand pick the CD

1. TIS -> May be because of the wordings also, but this gave me everything in life. I mentioned this before, I felt like a responsible person after TIS, I felt that I am fit to be a father after listening to TIS than before. Above all, it just made my interest in old tamil literature. Needless to say that because of TIS I had one of a very wonderful blessing in the world that only TISK knows :)

1. HTNI -> I liked the BGM of Veedu and always stayed in my mind since when I was doing my 11th. I had no idea about Illararaja, except that I know he does some film music. The first filmi album where I felt IR was in Puthu Puthu Arthangal - where the whole theater was clapping for every song, and even during title. I bought HTNI CD in US, probably 10 year after I first listened to it, and had no idea that the tune is the one my mind is very familiar with. What reasons you need to put this on top.

1. NBW -> I didnt buy initially mainly because it had Hariprasad's picture on teh CD than IR and I didnt like a NI guy at all. I stayed away from this as much as I can until one day I decided to take a risk and listen to it. I had very greater difficulty to buy this CD after that and took almost 3 months to find this CD. I end up being a Hariprasad fan after this. Another CD that I play when I go to bed.

I listen to I24 hours and quite didnt understand it, so no comments on it yet. I need more time to understand it.

BTW did I rated all of them numero uno?

alias
26th August 2005, 01:26 AM
njv, Did you listen Wings? It is on the dvdunlimitedonline.com maintained by kbee. This is the first time I am hearing about that album. Any detail?

njv
26th August 2005, 02:16 AM
Its a collection of filmi and devotional album. The recording quality is good, but the song selection is very bad (Worst). I bought Music Journey and it is very impressive, but thats gain non a non-filmi album. Its just IR filmi songs, but with explanation from IR before the song starts and few new compositions by IR (like the 3 in 1). MJ is a must buy.

arun
26th August 2005, 02:28 AM
"Nothing but wind and How to Name it are like Pokeman music IMO. I think they can made into ringtones and sold in stores."

Ha Ha. You've got to admit alias' sense of humor!

alias
26th August 2005, 02:45 AM
njv, Is it Musical Journey to Italy 2005? Is it live musicial?

njv
26th August 2005, 08:40 AM
njv, Is it Musical Journey to Italy 2005? Is it live musicial?
Yes it is. At teh end of each song, you will hear claps!!!

It again has lot of movie songs, but different orchestrization. Pick of the album are 3-in-1, Musical Journey of Tamil Nadu [Maestro explains various folk songs from child birth to death]. IR also explains how he converted Mozart Symphony 25 to Veetukku Veetukku Vasapadi Venum. Its really good. Needless to say Janani Janani song is mind blowing and IR toned differently for this program.

krihoo
26th August 2005, 09:36 AM
all 4 are very different and unique

NBW-Melody and Class
HTNI- Experitmental and educative
24 HRS- Creative (These are BGMS for documentary)
TIS- Experitmental and Divine

alias
26th August 2005, 07:00 PM
yes NJV, I simply loved the album. I had listened to atleast 15 times for last 2 days :-) Did you hear IR talk in English? I did not know he could speak in English but to my surprise, he did a good job. I liked Aasai Kadulaye Thoddu songs a lot, Elangaddu visudhey was another fav. and 3-in-1 was awsome.

emjay
26th August 2005, 07:02 PM
Arun/KR,

Yes, either alias must be having very great sense of humor or
terrible ignorance. I appreciate if it is former, sympathize if later.

njv
26th August 2005, 07:10 PM
yes NJV, I simply loved the album. I had listened to atleast 15 times for last 2 days :-) Did you hear IR talk in English? I did not know he could speak in English but to my surprise, he did a good job. I liked Aasai Kadulaye Thoddu songs a lot, Elangaddu visudhey was another fav. and 3-in-1 was awsome.

I am not surprised with his English at all, since its a common language in India, but what I am surprised is that he speaks in Telugu,Malayalam and Kannada fluently. The best part I liked in his speach was the way he described the "first love". I felt the shyness in his tone. May be he wasnt comfortable talking about love with his daughter standing next to him. I have called the Italian composer to see if he can release that in DVD format. He dont have any plan, but he said he will send me a copy of VHS tape. If I get it, I will post it.

krihoo
3rd September 2005, 10:08 AM
njv,

india 24 hrs is background music for a documentary......its not like same type of NBW or HTNI

svbp007
10th September 2005, 04:01 AM
Njv,

Look forward to hearing about the VHS tape. I read on Chinmayi's blog that there were more songs in the session than what was in the CD (including some bhajans she sang?).

Another person (Agi music) in the IR fans club said that the dvd was not released as the video was not good.

Bhanu

nkv
14th September 2005, 05:45 PM
At any Time HTNI is the best.. All the albums, except NBW will stand a KM apart...

It came out at a time when such kind of concepts were rare..
This is still a benchmark for all Fusion albums of our time....

Next Comes Nothing But Wind....Though not upto HTNI, this also is an exceptional album..

As a Hardcore IR fan, im satisfied with these two efforts from IR. I dont consider Thiruvasakam in a musical line....