PDA

View Full Version : Kids with food allergies,eczyma

Oldposts
22nd November 2004, 11:49 AM
Topic started by rr (ss@yahoo.com) (@ ncache1.ford.com) on Fri Apr 30 15:32:45 EDT 2004.

Hi everyone,
I am a new member to this forum. I have a two year old daughter and she has severe food allergy and a bad eczyma. she is mostly allergic to wheat products ,but stopping that does'nt do a big magic. she still is suffering from hre allergies. any parents sailing on the same boat? Please share in this forum about the kind of food you give for allergy kids etc. I am just worried that by eating rice products all the time, (she is allergic to all lentil varieties also), she does not seem to get a balanced meal.
plus any wheat free food item suggestions for lunch boxes? she is sick of eating rice noodles, idlis,rice pasta,poha etc.

Oldposts
Hi rr,

I saw this msg from another thread "Benefits of Honey and cinnamon", thought it may be of some help for you.

Skin Infections
Eczema, ringworm and all types of skin infections are cured by applying honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts on the affected parts.

Did you consult any Doctor? What do they say?

You can give her lots of vegetables, greens, fruits(if you are that any of these are not allergic to her) to balance her meal.

I have heard some kids are allergic to diary products and some to egg. You can try stopping the diary products for 3 to 4 days and see if there's any change.

Here are two links which may be of help,

http://www.aixf98.hemscott.net/mainpages/Kids%20book.htm (http://www.aixf98.hemscott.net/mainpages/Kids%20book.htm
)

http://www.foodallergyliving.com/cookbook/ (http://www.foodallergyliving.com/cookbook/
)

If i come across any recipes i will post here.

Take care!

Oldposts
KH,
Thanks for ur posting. she does eat a lot of fruits and veggies. luckily she likes them. we live in MI and I am seeing lot of kids with such problems in these cold dry weather places. we havent heard of such things in India and its very tough to deal with.

Oldposts
Hello rr,

My husband's colleagues daughter is now 30 months old. Right from when she was 2 months, she developed terrible reddish patches all over her body and even at night, used to scratch her legs on the bedsheets. The parents tried everything possible right from pure cotton clothes and linen, to applying all the steroid creams the dermatologist prescribed for the eczema but absolutely no use. The baby still suffered. The mother then noticed that after every breastfeed, the rashes used to flare up and so suspecting an allergy, they consulted the paediatrician. After a lot of consultations & no clear diagnoses, the baby was put off breastmilk as the allergens were passing from the mother's food to the baby via the milk!! She was then tried several formulas, where there is no lactose (called hydrolysed formulas, I think) but even those didn't work out as the baby was allergic to MORE THAN ONE FOOD ITEM. Finally, they switched to one called NEOCATE, which is formula based on amino acids; since it is synthetic, no real allergens were present and the baby was cleared of the rashes.

You should realise that the child can react to more than one food allergen, it is not just wheat or just citrus fruits, it is the whole combination. The child was extremely sensitive to processed foods like cheese, butter etc. ; can't tolerate any proteins (dal,rajma, milk),no soya, no wheat, no nuts, strawberries, no citrus etc. Even some vaccinations were avoided because it had eggs in them (not sure which ones).Other than the formula, the child had only rice with veggies & fruits. For the fat which is essential for proper growth, they gave her 'oils' like sunflower oil, olive oil etc. mixed with rice. Even now the kid breaks out in rashes if given certain foods. When they had been to India (Coimbatore), the baby's rashes improved remarkably !! Yes, the doctors there have no clue about this kind of condition.

I have seen their suffering and yes, it is very very disheartening situation. But don't worry, with age, it will most certainly get better. The child has improved very much and is now on Goat's milk, and can tolerate some pulses too. She is healthy & active though slightly underweight.

Did your child have it from birth, like our friend's daughter? If you need any more specific details or helpful information, do let me know. I can ask her to get in touch with you directly, since she has experienced it personally.
Cheer up, your kid will be fine soon.
Bye.

Oldposts
Hi!

My daughter (now almost 2 yr old) has atopic eczema since birth. She itches a lot inspite of not allowing her skin to get dry (apply vaseline when she wakes up, after bath, after her noon nap and before bed). What aggrevates her eczema , cannot really make out. Allergic to food, I don't think so bcoz her diet is very fixed accept for certain changes. But those red patches they come up evry other day. I use an ointment that was prescribed by a doctor in India. There is nopoint in mentioning its name. Believe me this ointment works miracle , I mean u apply today night and those red patches do disappear by tomorrow morning. But her eczema doesn't seem to be under control. U don't apply ointment the red patches r sure to worsen. I am more conecrned about her itching. Its unbearable. I can't see her doing that. Any information to control her itching and hence eczema is most welcome. I am ready to try new things. Honey and cinnamon combo didn't seem to work. Well rr, coming to ur question. U can try peanut butter, oatmeal cereal, raagi porridge/roti, dates+raisins, variety of juices, vegetable soup.

Bye.

Oldposts
Thanks for all the inputs kamakshi. We have done whatever ur friend has done except for the formula. when did the child start taking NEOCATE?
her doctors are already exploring on putting her in a special diet for two weeks to see how she is going to do. they told its called energin diet or something. seems it would taste really bad . I am not sure how my daugher is going to get through that.

Oldposts
Hello rr,
My friend tried ALL available options like Gerber Hypoallergenic, Pregestemil, Nursoy (soya formula), and only then as a last resort, took up Neocate because of its extremely bad taste!Another child (consulted with the same paediatrician as my friend) responded well to Pregestemil itself ! You may also try the others, after consulting your doctors , of course. The child was exclusively on Neocate right from 5 months of age itself. I think it is called NEOCATE ADVANCE, for kids over a year old. Yes, my friend had mentioned many time that the formula tastes unbearable, very bitter; even we can't sip it, how my child is tolerating the taste, she used to say often. Older children do not take it so easily, as they have already developed dislikes in taste. So, some flavours are available in Neocate Advance.
But it is not available in any pharmacy here and so they had to import from Oman & some colleagues who were periodically travelling to UK. But since you are living in US itself, obtaining itwouldn't be a problem.
Even a female doctor in my friend's hospital, has children who both suffer from this condition! It is said to be hereditary, if one or both parents have some allergies, then even the baby has more likely chances of being allergic. In my friends case, both she & her husband have allergies and so the poor kid also was affected. But unless the parents accept that the food intake is a major cause of the eczema/dermatitis, no proper improvement can be done. Also, next month, they are scheduled for a blood/skin patch test, to determine the exact foods which cause these rashes. Maybe, you can opt for that too, since your kid is nearly the same age. Do consult your doctor however.
GOOD LUCK.

Oldposts
Is this a Neocate site? Sounds like It's the magic formula. Are just promoting it (because you work for them) or does it really work. I have a suffering 9 week old, and I have tried everything. Except Neocate. I have been told my other moms in the same situation that Neocate makes it worse because of the corn. What do you suggest other than Neocate? I've tried the hydrolysates.

Oldposts
Hi Jen,
In no way I'm working or promoting for anybody; I've just seen my friend suffering and am only sharing her experiences. If you've tried the other hydrolysed formulas and rashes are still not getting cured, then Neocate is the obvious solution.
But I can't understand how 'corn' makes things worse, because Neocate is a completely synthetic amino-acid based formula, which has the complete nutritional needs of the infant. As it is totally artificial, no natural irritants/allergens are present!!
The company which manufactures this formula is called SHS International & is based in Liverpool, UK.

You can get more info. from their homepage,

>

Hope your kid gets better soon. Bye.

Oldposts
Oops, sorry Jen, typing mistake.
Here's the URL,
>

Take care.

Oldposts
What's happening ???
I'll give it another try.
>

Oldposts
http://www.shsweb.co.uk/

Oldposts
At last, it has come correctly.
Good luck, Jen.

Oldposts
Jen,
My 5 month old son was just diagnosed milk/soy protein intolerant and put on Neocate. We'd tried every over the counter formula-all worked for a few days, then back to the same problems. He's been on the Neocate 13 days and is doing so much better. Only drawback is that it is very expensive. Good luck!

Oldposts
Hello!

My son has wheat and peanut allergies. He is 4 years old. What we are finding is that a lot of indian kids in the US seem to have food allergies. For our second son, we have tried to avoid possible allergens like wheat, eggs, corn, soy, peanuts etc. Try to introduce them much later when they have more developed immune systems, this is an immune system response. Watch out for products that can have peanut oil (some chips) etc. We scan product labels all the time. We are thinking of maybe moving to India to see if it improves. The clean environment in the US could be one reason why the immune system acts up like this.. lets see.

Oldposts
I have a 12 year old with what I would say severe eczyma. She flares up in all the usual places, behind her knees, in the crack of her elbows, on her face, in the creece of her eyes and her back and stomach. We have tried several ointments and some work but with major side effects. The main cream that really works is Elidil but you might have heard that it can cause cold like symptoms and it does in my daughter. Another thing you can do is this special soap that you can ask your pharmacist for it's called "oilatum", it really works too. We tried my daughter on an immunosuppressant drug called "Celcept" it work for a while but than the eczyma started back up. You might consider the sugar intake your child is getting, I have noticed that when my child eats to many sweets her eczyma gets out of control. I have other things that you can try, if your interested you can e-mail me. Best of luck!!

Oldposts
Hi

My 5 months old daughter is scratching her face and eyes badly. She has developed red patches below her ears. She is bleeding fromm there after scratching. She rubbing her eyes very badly. We are using oilatum ointment but no use. She is already on Neocate due to cowmilk protein intolerance. She is mostly on breasfeed. Is there any cure for problem.

Oldposts
Hi Jagdish,
I received your mail but my reply is repeatedly not going through. So, I'm replying here itself.
My friend had to COMPLETELY stop breast-feeding also, since allergens pass through the mother's milk & affect the baby. It is rather very difficult to have a highly controlled and at the same time nutritious diet for sufficient milk production because nearly every food item, right from wheat in chapathi, some fruits, nuts, dals, sugar, even soya products too are all potential allergens only. Though she was extremely distressed to do so, once the baby stopped taking her milk and was fed only Neocate, the condition improved remarkably well. Contd.....

Oldposts
Initially, they tried for about 10 days on trial, without any breastfeed and my friend used to periodically express and throw out the milk, so that in case breastmilk was not the reason for the rashes, she could start feeding the baby again and the flow wouldn't stop. Maybe you can try this method for your baby too, of course after consulting your doctor. They were also advised against massaging the baby or using gramflour, turmeric etc. for her skin as the grains are coarse. Instead, they used Aveeno Colloidal Baby Bath (a powder to be mixed in bath water), which is made from oats and she said it was superb for the skin. After bath, they applied Atoderm Moisture Lotion as the skin shouldn't be dry for long periods. Contd....

Oldposts
NO other product (including Johnson & Johnson's range of baby stuff), powder, soap etc. was used. Even now, they are using only the Aveeno bath, and sometimes the Oilatum bar soap. Hope these details help you. If you need any more info. in particular, I can forward it to her, no problem.
Good luck for your child,
Kamakshi.

Oldposts
My 4-mo.-old is suffering from eczema. He also scratches his face until it bleeds, so we try to keep his fingernails short and his hands covered with socks. Our doctor told us to use skin cleanser with no fragrances. He recommended Cetaphil, available at most drug stores and Walmart. Following baby's bath, we apply Elidel to affected areas of eczema, followed by Cetaphil moisturizing lotion. This has helped tremendously. Once the affected area is eczema-free, the Elidel treatment stops. We tried cortisone creams for this condition, but to no avail. Hence, the use of Elidel, which has been very successful.

Oldposts
I have a daughter who is 13mths scrathes after every cow milk take. She does not like other types of powder milk. All of her body is red with itching but you cannot stop her from a bottle of milk.

Oldposts
Dear Jane, I think your daughter is allergic to cow's milk. My nephew had the same symptoms.
Now we give him Isomil milk. It's soya milk.
He is fine now.
<a name="last"></a>

gaya3usa
15th February 2005, 04:37 AM
Eczema does not have cure with any treatment.
It is a treatment to reduce or control the affected area.
Most of the young kids, who have eczema, out grows the condition, depending how bad they have it.
Here are some tips that might help
1.Try polytar soap.
2. Frequently use good or expensive moisturizing lotion or cream
like Eucerin, aveeno, and also use vasaline.
3. wear & use 100% cotton clothes, blanket, towel etc.
4. take quick bath every other day
4. wash clothes with soft soap agents.
5. The best oinment, that i would recommend is " Trideslion 0.05 % " presicription medication
It helps much for bad flare-ups.
6. Avoid moong dal. It makes worse.
7. Citrus fruits, in contact to the skin, makes it worse.
10. Especially in children , cut the nails short.

Compared to adults, children with eczema, has more probality to out grow this skin dieases

Take care :roll:

- Gayathri

Thiru
27th April 2005, 08:08 PM
This is our ongoing eczema story... any suggestions/opinions are welcome..

My son has been having eczema when he was 2 months old.. We've tried everything... We took him off breast milk, tried 'Enfamil Nutramigen Lipil', took him to the dermatologist etc... His skin used to respond well for a few days and then all of a sudden it will start flaring up again.. We tried different things.. Our dermatologist asked us to use a steroid cream but we dont want to use steroids on him at this age.. we tried many things like putting him on cotton clothes only, putting him to bath every alternated day, apply moisturisers 4 times a day etc.. Nothing seemed to improve his condition... A couple of my friends suggested a website www.naet.com where they could treat allergies in a different way.. We went there and this treatment is different from the normal allopathic treatment.. the doctor said that there are energy blockages in the body which causes the different disorders in our system like eczema, fever etc.. He said he would find out what my son is allergic to and will remove it... he did different sessions like removing different allergies and we had like 15 sessions.. I wasnt totally convinced with the treatment and it didnt seem to do anything... Finally we took a vacation to India in October of 2004 and my wife & son stayed in india for 3 months.... Believe it or not, he didnt have anything back in india.... his skin became pretty smooth and he didnt have to itch all over his body... he started sleeping well and we were convinced that he outgrew it... my wife and son came back to US in feb 2005 and he has started getting the rashes back again.. it has been bad in the last 2 weeks.. I dont think the allergy (for my son atleast) is not any food.. its something enviromental or weather related.. he had the same food (enfamil and rice cereal/oatmeal) back in india & never had a problem.. we are back to moisturising him 3 times a day and applying 'elidel' cream on him... i guess going back to india seems to be a wise option :)

pradheep
3rd May 2005, 11:23 PM
Eczema problems usually found in kids whose mothers had very less of nausea and vomitting. Nausea and vomitting is a detoxification mechanism of the body. These toxins then damage the kids and causes skin rashes. Most Ointments and creams do contain stroids which are immmuno-supprants and so give temprary relief.

Traditonal indian practice was to give good oil massage to the kids after they are born. Through skin these toxins get out of the body. Next is by giving ragi and fiber rich foods to kids which would pull out toxins from the bile.

Water is a very cleansing agents and giving lot of water helps to flush out the toxins.

It is an ancient practice which most of us would have been given when we grew in india, which is castor oil cleansing and neem leaves "halwa". These agents help the body to get rid of toxins.

Even In india eczemic problems are increasing out of many reasons and one being doing less detoxification.
If you are interested you can follow this link

http://sakthifoundation.org/pregnancy.htm

Seethab
4th May 2005, 03:37 AM
Hi Pradheep:

thanks for your above note. Very interesting indeed! I have a question for you - how do we deal with the summer boils or the heat what kind of food do we give children to cool their body? any inputs?

Thanks

Seetha

Nichiro
4th May 2005, 12:30 PM
Eczema problems usually found in kids whose mothers had very less of nausea and vomitting. Nausea and vomitting is a detoxification mechanism of the body. These toxins then damage the kids and causes skin rashes.

Hello Pradheep,
Very interesting piece of information you have given if its true. This must be a piece of knowledge passed on by generations of mothers.
Can you please let me know the basis as to where it appears in Ancient books or some other source.
Would love to know more of such things.

Nichiro

R
4th May 2005, 05:39 PM

R
4th May 2005, 05:40 PM
Hello Pradheep,

Is it really true?? Becoz, have seen many of my folks who had no nausea or vomitting at all during pregnancy and after delivery, their kids seems to be fine. And, here in US, my cousin's son have this problem where she had nausea and vomitting for the first 6 months. What you are telling is totally reverse!!

I am not sure how far it is true. But, many of my friends are complaining that majority of the US born kids are facing this problem.

pradheep
4th May 2005, 08:27 PM
dear seetha
Sprouting green mung is the best. we tried organic and non-organic. All the non-orgnaic ones do not sprout and so you will feel like stones while chewing , wheareas in organic ones you dont see. thisis very cooling for the body and also cucmbers are cooling. According to ayurveda the boils reflect the intestinal conditions, like liver is reflected in face. Check for good bowel movements and so give enough water.

Dear R
this is the link that gives the study.

www.americanscientist.org/template/Login;jsessionid=aaa-F929poZBzr?nextpage=AssetDetail&assetid=14326&print=yes&fulltext=true&message=PageAccessDeniedMessage#22810

Now we have to understand our bodies are different. In one case there was no N/V (nausea, vomit) and children are fine , probably means that her body did not accumulate much toxins. In another case inspite of N/V children are unhealthy, meaning there was so much toxins and body was getting rid of it , but the rest of the toxins caused the problem. Again understand this is not the only factor. I mean to say N/V is a nature's mechanism to purify the body.

R
4th May 2005, 08:31 PM
Got yr point..will go thro' the link later.

Thanks and Bye.

pradheep
4th May 2005, 08:33 PM
Dear Nichiro
Yes you would be excited to know about this knowledge because it is so complete. I had been searching for this for past 20 years and I have collected 95% in my head and rest 5% in web site. I have to find time to put everything in site.
My wife supports this a lot and she left her compter programming work because she found great wisdom in midwifery. Since we are here In usa, I miss these great contacts. When time is set we might get back and do more of this work. Sakthifoundation's profits are diverted in the projects to preserve ancient wisdom.

Now We are trying to generate funds to sponsor people to interview old people in viallages and get it recorded otherwise it will die with them, When I was 15 I knew that this knowledge is dying and at that age when i used to talk mostly to old people, everyone thought i was nuts. Now they understand that i was actually preserving their great knowledge.

Recently I read one such book called vedic vision. It gives about the psycology of doing rituals and it is amazing. The link where I gave reference is not working , by this week end i will fix that.

Next update in the web site i am going to give all the source of books. To tell the truth mostly I get it through oral tradition. Wish someone recorded it, any way instead of complaining , let's do it.

I dont think this wisdom exist only in india. I am trying to organize this type of wisdom searching in other cultures too. But for that I need more man power. I am patiently waiting for voluntary services. I am doing this in spare time and i can understand whe my family complains that I dont give their time share.

The more I sink in, the more I am excited in this holistic wisdom. If you can help me in any way sharing your knowledge, that would be great. First attitude in getting this wisdom is, we have to first give up the notion that we are learned and no much more than these illiterates. No , our scientific mind sees everything in isolation, but they see the whole. With this attitude one can dive into any depths.

Nichiro
4th May 2005, 10:24 PM
Hello Pradheep,

I believe in oral traditions.
I have many such oral astrology rules which have stood test of time.
People ask me basis of some rules. All I can say is, that has come down word of mouth.
I will wait for more inputs on this tradition.
Thanks
Nichiro

Speaking about midwifery,
We had a midwife in our village called NOOR BIBI.
She was so experienced that she was able to tell that the baby is upside down or is on sides and she would , by maipulating with pressure on stomach, bring the foetus in correct position.
I do not recollect if there was any case of caeserian operation reported even during first pregnency.
The art has almost died. :cry:

pradheep
4th May 2005, 10:29 PM
luckily an American lady in iowa learnt soem of these from indian and bali and she helped my wife to deliver at home in iowa. that was incredible experience. The stress levels in kid and mom was so low that we could experience that quality of life. it was shocking news from my people in india and they luckily see me now more than crazy.

Without any technical instruments, just with hands and touch and wisdom these people are able to help deliver kids. if you can get any info from the mid wife follow ups let me know.

Seethab
5th May 2005, 03:32 AM
Thanks Pradheep. Its for a friend's kid in India. Will sure ask them to follow your tips.

Seetha

Thiru
9th May 2005, 08:31 PM
Pradheep,

Any idea why my kid didnt have any such problems back in India, but gets it back when he is in the US??

pradheep
10th May 2005, 03:43 AM
I dont have an answer untill I know more details. was your kid taken care by the grandparents in india. Did they do the feeding?. Did they give your child the same food they ate?.

Thiru
10th May 2005, 06:23 PM
I dont have an answer untill I know more details. was your kid taken care by the grandparents in india. Did they do the feeding?. Did they give your child the same food they ate?.

Pradheep, my wife and kid stayed in india for 3 months and he didnt have any allergies (eczema) during his stay back in India. He was having the same food (oatmeal/rice cereal and baby formula) that he was having in US.. Once we came back to US, he started getting those allergies back... That makes us think whether this is environmental related...

pradheep
10th May 2005, 09:02 PM
Dear Thiru
Like most of the Indians, you have given the junk baby food to your baby and put its health into risk. I will tell what happens at the holistic level. A japanese study in 1992 showed that when one group of rats were fed with their own mother's milk and another group were fed with baby food which had the same composition of the mother's milk, they found that both the animal groups grews in the same way. There was no difference. But here is the interesting thing. They checked the stools excreted by the rats. That was one of the difference. They found that that breast fed rats stools had all healthy bacteria while baby food fed had all sorts of bacteria. The stools reflect our intestinal bacteria population. This means that baby food allow bacteria that causes inflammation in the gut.
Next obervation they found was that the rats of baby food fed increased the porosity of the intestines, talking in a lay man language. This means that our intestines normally acts like a filter and allows well digested nutrients into the blood system. Now if there is a leakage then big proteins leak into the blood system. What happens in protein's leak into the blood system?. The blood recognizes it as foreign (like it thinks of a bacteria or virus) and starts to produce anti-bodies. This causes immune reactions in the form of asthma, allergies, eczema etc. This is why in USA you find people allergic to every sort of "form" in the universe. Indians are blindly following leaving their traditional healthy practices.

Now researchers are findign evidences that it is the mother's milk that dictates how the intestine will develop and how the food that we eat in early age of life dictates the bacterial population in our intestines.

In your child's case, this exactly has happened. You feeding the baby with baby-food has altered his intestinal bacteria population and also the porosity of the intestines. May be something in your carpet got into his stomach and passed on to the blood and his body is giving immune reactions in the form of skin rashes. This is why he has no problem in India. You are right , it is the environment. But dont focus on the obvious cause, pay attention to the root cause.

Seethab
11th May 2005, 02:20 AM
Dear Pradheep:

How long do you suggest that one breasteed the child? are there any interesting sites that you can share on this?

Thanks for your inputs as always!!

Seetha

Thiru
11th May 2005, 08:21 AM
Dear pradheep,

Are you talking about Leaky Gut syndrome?? We are currently taking a hollistic treatment for finding and removing his allergies... More info can be found in www.NAET.com. Btw, my son was having mom's milk until he was 9 months old... Since mom's milk alone was not sufficient he was given formula and cereal... We also think its something enviromental (i.e, carpet, pollen etc) but unable to find the cause.. Our doctor told us that a blood test might help us find some allergies but it cant be relied upon 100%...

On a different note, people who have been using ELIDEL for eczema, please do not use this medicine any more... Our pediatric group had a warning saying Elidel might cause Skin cancer and the FCC has issued the warning... Please pass this along to friends whose kids suffer from Eczema...

pradheep
13th May 2005, 03:20 AM
Dear Thiru
I am not talking about leaky gut syndrome. I was explaining how the type of diet exposes the infants body to immune system and later develop to allergies. I understand that your kid had breast milk and the baby food. which month did you start baby food and when did the kid start to show allergies. I wanted to know if in your kid's case also there is the same correlation between diet and allergy.

pradheep
13th May 2005, 03:28 AM
Dear seethab
There is no hard rules to decide how long to breast feed a kid. it is purely the nature of the kid. Some kids are satisfied with milk alone for a long time and others dont. It is generally good to give breast milk as far as it can meet the kid's demand. If milk is not enough, then food can be supplemented. The best food to supplemented is unrefined whole foods with less or no sugar. To my knowledge ragi is a good food supplement and so are corn, brown rice, qunioa, amaranth etc. We used all these for our kid. Try not to give too much sugar when they are young. My MIL was upset with me initially when I used to give ragi with no sugar to the kid, but later found that the kid being trained not having a sweet tooth. Soaking and cooking of grains is very good for babies.

hope this might help
http://sakthifoundation.org/infantdiet.htm

Seethab
14th May 2005, 02:01 AM
Thanks Pradheep for your inputs.

I am also keen to know a little more about why kids born in the US get more ear infections. When I speak to friends who have kids they seem to feel that its a common occurence. We havent heard that back home or was it ignorance?

Seetha

Kz
14th May 2005, 03:11 AM
hello Pradheep,
I went thru the website and it was just great, so much info abt preg and health. i would like to know if ashwini mudra is the same as kegel excercises?
thankyou
kz

pradheep
14th May 2005, 04:31 AM
Dear seetha
I am living in iowa state and all the indian kids born here in usa have and had ear infections. Only exception was our son. I think it is because from the third day after his birth, we use to add coconut oil into his ears as the traditional indian practice till he was an year old. after That we put oil once a week or once a month as we adults do.

Latest scientific research (see link in sakthifoundaiton web site) shows that oil application on babies prevents infection. May be that theory holds good for ear infections too and thats why our son was an exception for ear infections. Our indians friends thought we were crazy with all these ancient practices but now when they see their kids fall sick compared to our's , they have started to think.

Dear Kz
You are right , it is somewhat close to kegel exercises.

dsath
1st June 2006, 09:35 PM
Found this thread extremely interesting and wonder why there are no further posts. Both my kids have eczema with varying degrees.
First one had it after his 2nd b'day. My second one developed it when she was just 5 months.
As stated by others here in the thread, both my kids condition improves when in India.
Any information in controlling the condition is welcome.

dsath
1st June 2006, 09:38 PM
pradheep,
Could you please post any other information regarding ancient techniques used on children for their general wellbeing.
Thanks in advance.

ayeshasadique
2nd June 2006, 11:09 PM
Dear seetha
I am living in iowa state and all the indian kids born here in usa have and had ear infections. Only exception was our son. I think it is because from the third day after his birth, we use to add coconut oil into his ears as the traditional indian practice till he was an year old. after That we put oil once a week or once a month as we adults do.

Latest scientific research (see link in sakthifoundaiton web site) shows that oil application on babies prevents infection. May be that theory holds good for ear infections too and thats why our son was an exception for ear infections. Our indians friends thought we were crazy with all these ancient practices but now when they see their kids fall sick compared to our's , they have started to think.

Dear Kz
You are right , it is somewhat close to kegel exercises.

oh i didnt know abt this...my kids are 6 1/2 and 3 1/2 yrs...can i still put coconut oil into their ears?...they seems to be every now and then getting ear infections

ayeshasadique
2nd June 2006, 11:16 PM
my daughter developed lactose intolerance when she was 4 months old....oh we had such a terrible time....at first i didnt know it was my milk...so more and more she had this severe greenish diarhoea, i gave her more breast milk, feeling she must not get dehydrated ... and the poor child just wudnt stop...then we found out she had lactose intolerance....she was then given soya milk....but my doctor had asked me not to stop breast feeding completely...
first i fed her once in a day......then 2 ...gradually increasing........ in abt a period of just 4 months..she was completely cured...iam so thnkful to the doctor who had so wisely asked not to stop breast feeding completely...

ayeshasadique
2nd June 2006, 11:18 PM
it is said that of all the countries , it is in the Gulf that there is a high occurence of allergies

dsath
4th June 2006, 12:45 AM
Ayesha,was the lactose intolerance cured within months? That is really great. We had to stop all dairy for my older one because of his severe eczema. He is becoming better these days. I have started introducing small amounts of lactose, now that summer is around the corner(atleast in theory).
My younger one has Vitamin D deficiency and as a result she is having problems absorbing calcium in her body. Doc told that she got that from me as i had a Vitamin D deficiency as well and I was breast feeding her till she was 11 months. Anyone here came across this condition in children before?

ayeshasadique
5th June 2006, 03:51 PM
oh..i am sorry...she must be alright as she grows up, isnt it?

dsath
5th June 2006, 05:54 PM
Thats true Ayesha, she will be getting better as she grows. She is almost 2 now.

ayeshasadique
5th June 2006, 06:23 PM
her lactose intolerance getting cured within a few months, to me, is not less than a miracle!!

i came across an article abt a little girl....she has something called eosonophilic gastro entritis/ colitis....through out her life all she can eat is just 8 items....like turkey, apple sauce, potatoes (i forgot the rest of the 5 things)
she is just 2...poor kid, and poor parents...the mother says , she is not able to make the 2 yr old undrstand why she acnnot eat the other things in the fridge...must be very tough!!