PDA

View Full Version : kollu parupu

Oldposts
22nd November 2004, 11:49 AM
Topic started by madhu (s) (@ cvx-010.cc.umanitoba.ca) on Sat Jul 12 13:11:26 .

hi, can anybody tell me what is the english name for kollu parupu. Thanks

Oldposts
Its called as horse gram .. i dont know the botanical name though ..

Oldposts
Botanical Name: Dolichos biflorus Linn
In Hindi/Urdu/Sanskrit it is called Kulthi

Oldposts
Recipe for thoaran with Kollu and Plantain stem:
Clean and cook a cup of horse-gram in pressure cooker with enough water. Drain off the excess water and keep aside.
Chop banana-stem (the white smooth pith of the banana plant) into small pieces to make a cupful and cook with salt and enough water until the water is drained and it is cooked enough.
In a dry kadaai pour three/four teaspoons of oil and when heated add in mustard seeds. When they splutter add in split dried-red-chillies, 4 or 5 numbers, and curry leaves. Add in both the cooked banana stem and cooked horse gram and stir well. You can garnish with grated coconut before serving.

As horse-gram is considered hot for the body and banana-stem as cold the combination is good for the body.

Oldposts
My mom used make Kollum Rasam for severe colds.
Rasam can be with remaining boiled kollu water without adding tamarind. It would control cold within a day.

Oldposts
hi everybody, thanks for your responses, but i live in north america. So i was wondering if anybody could help me out with the northamerican english name for kollu parupu. I guess here they dont use the name horse gram.

Oldposts
Hi madhu
i do found kollu parrupu in the name of hore gram in an indian grocery store in north america .. may be some experienced people can help u ...

Oldposts
If anyone knows recipe for kalathu podi(using kollu or horse gram) please post.thanks.

Oldposts
KOLLU PARUPPU MAY BE THE SAME AS LENTILS

Oldposts
Does anyone know where you can buy Horse Gram in NOrth America ?(Other names for it, Kollu, Kulthi & Ulavalu)

Oldposts
"Does anyone know where you can buy Horse Gram in NOrth America "

North America?? oh you mean Indomerica!!! You can find HG in in any Indian grocery store.

Oldposts
Manchester. USA.

What you name as "KOLLU-PARUPPU" is not "Paruppu" at all. It is called KOLLUPPAYARU"in Tamil and "Horsegram" in English, which the Indian Store Managers in North America are able to understand.Most of these Stores sell it as a set of NAVADHAANYAAS, for Navagraha Poojas.For the current year Navarathri, many Indians here bought it as a set of 9 seeds. It is available in the leading "INDIAN GROCERY STORES" all over this country, North America. In California, you can try at the "Mail-Bag Indian Stores" at SAN JOSE.

Oldposts
hi ,

can anyone plz post recipes using kollu?
thank you

Oldposts
HI,
There are numerous recipes using Kollu.You can do "kofta curry " For Roti, Kollu Soup,Kollu Podimas , Kollu Soup.I heard that it controls bad cholestrol.
KOLLU PORIYAL:
Soak Kollu for 8 hrs.Pressure cook it.Remove excess water.In the mixie put and grind(means in the pulse mode).In a kadai season it and add onion.green chillies.saute it then add ground kollu.add salt and coconut flakes to taste.

Oldposts
"horse gram is good cholesterol reducing diet"

Oldposts
Hi I learnt that if fenugreek is left overnight in half litre of Kulthi water, and that water is drank 3 times a day for 15 days, it will bring high blood pressure down.
My wife has such high blood pressure and no one can figure out why. I read an article by Sree Chakravarthee and this was how we can bring down the blood pressure - naturally.
My question is how do we make Kulthi water? Anybody knows? Do we boile kollup parupu? Do we put it in a pressure cooker?
Please send reply to this website as well as e_dantes@cox.net. Appreciate it very much.

Oldposts
Boil horse gram in water with a lot of asafoetida for 10mins. Filter and drink 1 glass of the water everyday to regularise the mensturation cyle.

Oldposts
hai madhu,

kollu paruppu we can get in all american grocery stores also, its named "LENTILS"(brand name goya)
we can get in all Indian stores also, its named "WHOLE MASOOR". you can find it anywhere in U.S.

hemakk

Oldposts
Pooja, here is the recipe for Kalathu podi, which can be mixed with hot rice and ghee and consumed with papad.

Kollu 1 cup
Thoor dal 1 cup
Channa dal (Kadalai Paruppu) 1/2 cup
Urad dal (full or broken) 1/2 cup

Fry each of the above dal seperately in a kadai till golden brown WITHOUT oil.

Grind all till smooth powder.

Fry little chilli powder and salt together, say 2 tsps, WITHOUT oil.

Mix together with the smooth powder and serve with rice.

Oldposts
Hemakk.. as far as i know Whole masoor is not kollu payar/paruppu.
both look like similar but kollu is darker in colour than whole masoor(think shapewise also they little bit differ).Initially i too thought/bought whole masoor as kollu then got cleared by my friend.Hope this helps you!

Oldposts
Do u know the hindi name? English name is horse gram dhal, right? Anyone..

Oldposts
Did not notice the previous details about kollu. Thanks, though.

Oldposts
Hi Rema

Do we need to soak the kollu first or can boil it directly ?Do u have any experience on this ?Actually I am having irregular perods, so I want to try this mehod.!!
Hope to hear fm u soon !!
Byee!!!

Oldposts
Anjana,
There is no need to soak it in water, just boil with heeng for 10mins filter and drink, but let me tell u it tastes horrible, and due to the heeng i experienced cramps in my stomach since it takes out a lot of gas. Give it a try, it takes time to give the required results though.

Oldposts
Hi Rema,

Thanks alot for the reply. Let me try once !!!

Take care !! Byee !!

Oldposts
hi friends'

what is kulthi water? and how to make it?

kal

Oldposts
hai Raathi,

can you clarify me which one is the Kollu Paruppu, i bought both ie. Lentils in American Grocery store, Whole Masoor in Indian Grocery store. i thought this one is used for the snack items (mixture), so i bought and i tried that also it didn't came out well. if you have time pl.reply me, thanks hemakk

Oldposts
Hi Hemakk,
Sorry for my late response!I believe above said two of them are not kollu payar(horse gram).

Search in indian stores for horse gram.you can ask the store manager for it(in hindi it called as KULTHI).So for i saw 2 brand names one is SAKTHI and another one is SWAD or NIRAV(i wil make sure next time i go to the store).Good luck!!

Oldposts
Hemakk...
another brand is NIRAV.

Oldposts
thnk you Raathi,

when i go to the Indian Store , i will check and get it.

hemakk

Oldposts
what does kollu look like? can someone send picture of it? i need it to find it in regular stores...north america!

thanx

Oldposts
kollu is somewhat brown color and small, like whole masoor dhall

Oldposts
Can somebody help? What is Kollu called in Malayalam?

Oldposts
Sneha its called Muthra pareepu in malayalma and has somewhat brownish colour and looks like masoor dhall with skin.

Oldposts
*malayalam

Oldposts
What is horsegram called in hindi??I asked for it in the indian stroe here-they didn't know abt it..
<a name="last"></a>

dev
26th November 2004, 01:01 PM
Can anyone post the recipe for kollu kurma?...

napolims445
17th March 2005, 08:43 PM
excuse me ....why are most of them telling that Horse gram looks like whole masoor........
It does not look like whole masoor(whose skin is slightly lighter in color than horsegram and whole masoor is circle in one dimension and in the other dimension its compressed ellipse) at all..
Horse gram's outer skin is brown in colour and its shape is kinda rectangular with curved ends(may be like oblong oval) and in the other dimension it looks like a little bit compressed .

shreya23
29th May 2005, 05:46 PM
is alfalfa seeds & kollu paruppu (horse gram ) the same thing?

Idiappam
7th June 2005, 02:13 PM
NO! They are two different things.

Alfalfa non-native to India! Introduced! Seeds used to feed horses - hence the Tamil Name 'kuthirai masal'. Medicago sativa.

Horse gram - Kollu in Tamil. Dolichos Biflorus. A creeper resembling the avarai plant (Dolichos lablab.)

Search on the Botanical names for images!

kavithasenthil
7th June 2005, 08:37 PM
Hello Idiappam,

I thought ppl feed horse kollu. Do they feed alfaalfa to horse in india?

Idiappam
7th June 2005, 09:49 PM
Yes they do. Cattle and sheep too! The traditional use of alfalfa, even the West is cattle feed. Now it got into the humam diet, with various claims of its 'benifits', in native medicine as well. Rich in this and that, they say. Well, that is true! As with all seeds, alfalfa is rich in all that, especially proteins!

kavithasenthil
7th June 2005, 09:53 PM
wow..rich in protein. Thats nice to here. Thanks for your reply.

Idiappam
7th June 2005, 10:52 PM
Ma'am Kavitha and all!

I think there must be a lot of queries here, in the Kitchen, about plants and their Names - English and INdian. I must have missed many of those questions. I don't come here often, what a pity! Pm me if you come across any, will you! Thanks!

kavithasenthil
8th June 2005, 12:28 AM
Sure Idiappam. Definatly will pm u if i find any queries regarding plants.