PDA

View Full Version : INZAMAM: Most Underrated Player of all Time

aandhi
11th August 2005, 11:24 PM
His record speaks volumes.

50 average? check

40 ODI average? check

He has scored more test centuries in winning tests then any other batsman (17 centuries).

As captain, he has a 50 ODI average, the best ever.

His test average is 58 as captain, the 2nd best in modern day cricket.

He plays the ball later than anyone, and plays the most dominating pullshot in the game. Perhaps, the greatest backfoot player of all time.

BUT STILL, no one notices him. He is one of only 3 players who can be termed MAESTROS, along with Lara and Tendulkar. And where Inzamam stands above Lara and Tendulkar is his dependability.

YET, no one notices him.

I salute this great man, for what he is, a quite giant of the cricket field.

Thiru
12th August 2005, 08:50 AM
aandhi,
he's a very good player and for knowledgable cricket fans he's not an under-rated player at all... He showed his talent in the 92 world cup and from then on he is always one of the most feared batsmen... He has a laid back approach and doesnt seem to be brisk in the game and that doesnt go well with many people...

BTW, are you from pakistan?? Just curious because of the Beaconhouse thread and this one..

S.Balaji
15th August 2005, 01:13 PM
Inzamaaam , under rated cricketer....

Well the reason I find is that TO BE RECOGNISED AS AN ALLTIME GREAT, ONE HAS TO PERFORM WELL AGAINST THE BEST OF THE ATTACKS..AND CONSISTENTLY...

In today's world, Aussies have fearsome attack in .... Glen / Jason / Lee / Shane

and one could not see Inzy scoring consistently against them...

Inzy must have made atleast 3 tours Down under.... I think he scored only one century...

Even Dravid had that drawback before he proved in the recent series down under.

visu
2nd September 2005, 07:31 PM
Inzi is a hard working batsman.

alwarpet_andavan
2nd September 2005, 09:15 PM
I'm sick of this "100 s in winning tests" thing because its grossly misleading if you look only at the surface of it.
Factors like others' contribution, quality of opp attack, the pitch etc have to be taken in mind. Also, if a player makes a 100 against a good attack and against great odds (none of the others contributing) with the team still not winning, does it make it a lesser effort? Also, even a great 100 is rendered ineffective because your bowlrs can't bowl out the opposition! SRT's been in this situation many a time, which is a fact conveniently ignored by his critics.
One more stupid way of assessing the value of a 100 is by rating it higher blindly if it comes in the 2nd innings, as though teams bowl underarm in the first innings. This fad, i suspect has been started by the "knowledgable" Indian media houses like TOI, NDTV etc....

S.Balaji
2nd September 2005, 09:42 PM
IMO ...for any batsman... there are 2 levels ....

1. Good batsman ----- Averaging 40 %
2. Great batsman -----Averaging 50 % against bowling of highest calibre...

Ever since Inzy started playing cricket... the best bowlers were

For Pace :

McGrath , Gillespie, Bret Lee
Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop
Alan Donald, Shaun Pollock

For spin :

Shane Warne, Stuart Mcgill
Anil Kumble, Turbanator
Muralidharan

I dont remember Inzy ( other than Kumble ).... had proved himself extrordinarily against the above other guys...

Especially against Australia in Australia....

Inzy actually started very well.. especially in the world cup 1992...
but one could remember Inzy scoring heavily in Sharjah and inside Pakistan...
Had scored well against England... but the bowlers then... were not in the class of Ambrose or Mcgrath..

His better record against other countries had made up for the lesser average against Aussies...

kickboxer
13th September 2005, 01:22 AM
guess what's aandhi's next thread is

MUSHARUFF: Most Underrated Dictator of all Time

Shekhar
14th September 2005, 02:30 PM
guess what's aandhi's next thread is

MUSHARUFF: Most Underrated Dictator of all Time

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mr_karthik
14th September 2005, 04:19 PM
Nobody can forget his play in last test at Bangalore. He entered to bat when Pak lost two wickets for very poor score (14?). But Inzy put a strong base (189) followed by Yuniskhan (265) and won the match. He taught to others, how a captain should play when his team is a critical situation.

Aandhi's aadhangam (Inzy has not been reconized well) is an acceptable one.

S.Balaji
16th September 2005, 05:40 PM
Nobody can forget his play in last test at Bangalore. He entered to bat when Pak lost two wickets for very poor score (14?). But Inzy put a strong base (189) followed by Yuniskhan (265) and won the match. He taught to others, how a captain should play when his team is a critical situation.

Aandhi's aadhangam (Inzy has not been reconized well) is an acceptable one.

Karthik,

The scores one makes in sub continent pitches like India, Srilanka and Pakistan have no value at all... Sachin is like a God in Indian pitches....
Inzy's only shortcoming has been his below average performance in Australia....If he had done well , he could have got classified as part of all time greats...

Why Dravid is being highly rate today is because of this

mr_karthik
16th September 2005, 06:23 PM
Balaji sir,

That means, Virender Sehwag's 309 in Multan(pak) pitch and Lakshman's 281 in Eden Garden (kokata) pitch also have no value at all. is it?.

S.Balaji
16th September 2005, 06:34 PM
Balaji sir,

That means, Virender Sehwag's 309 in Multan(pak) pitch and Lakshman's 281 in Eden Garden (kokata) pitch also have no value at all. is it?.

Dear Karthik,

My opinion is :

Viru's knock was extrodinary but the pitch was a flat one... No doubt that it was a great knock but I doubt whether Viru himself will consider that special... Yes yes.. I recollect Viru cherishing his 194 in Melbourne .... Probably that was the best knock of Viru...till date.... against quality bowling...and in Australia...

VVS in Kolkatta .... that was VERY VERY SPECIAL.... ( Ian Chappel's famous words )

Both are odd ones out....

If one scores in Swinging conditions in England and the bouncy wickets of Australia.... they are extraordinary...

I remember when sachin scored a century... Merv Hughes ran all the way from 3rd man towards him to congratulate... It was such a terrific knock...against quality attack and bouncy wicket...

In the recent of tour of Australia, Michael waughan scored two great centuries.... really great ones... In recent times, these are stand out innings by any batsman...

S.Balaji
16th September 2005, 06:37 PM
Inzy is a great player of spin ....no doubt on this... but how many times he had come out well against Share Warne... The greatest ever spinner till date...

While Sachin had done well against both Warne and Muralidharan...

S.Balaji
16th September 2005, 06:40 PM
Inzy besides, is an undisputed king of Sharjah cricket....

S.Balaji
16th September 2005, 06:42 PM
For most of the Inzy fans... their main grievance could be .... while Sachin is treated like a God and genius... why Inzy was not...

Infact Imran always used to comment that Inzy is a better batsman than Sachin......etc etc.....Both are peer cricketers but Sachin is more famous....and being respected by fellow cricketers.....

mr_karthik
16th September 2005, 07:00 PM
Balaji sir,

Sachin is on top list and he already crossed even SMG and Kapil long back and he is un-comperable. Here the topic is 'the unreasonable degradeness of Inzy among other players'. For this, we no need to pull the great Sachin here.

No doubt Veeru's 309 and VVS's 281 are great, but the reason for me to mention here, because of your comment about the pitches of sub-continent. (Even Lara's 400 also in Dhaka pitch, that also against weakest Bangladesh).

When you mentioned about Veeru's 194 in Melbourne, I am surprising how you forget to mention 'Wall' Dravid's 270 in Adelaid.

S.Balaji
17th September 2005, 10:48 AM
Balaji sir,

Sachin is on top list and he already crossed even SMG and Kapil long back and he is un-comperable. Here the topic is 'the unreasonable degradeness of Inzy among other players'. For this, we no need to pull the great Sachin here.

No doubt Veeru's 309 and VVS's 281 are great, but the reason for me to mention here, because of your comment about the pitches of sub-continent. (Even Lara's 400 also in Dhaka pitch, that also against weakest Bangladesh).

When you mentioned about Veeru's 194 in Melbourne, I am surprising how you forget to mention 'Wall' Dravid's 270 in Adelaid.

Karthik,

I think Lara scored 400 against England and it was the final match of the series and it was in West Indies..

Dravid's one of the best knock was in Adelaide.. as he could not score that well earlier against Aussies in Australia and this match was the most ideal setting for him to prove and he did fantastically well. Infact we were in a crisis at that moment and but for Lakshman and Dravid, this match would have gone in favour of Aussies as Ponting scored a double century earlier in the match... and Aussies built up a huge score...

Oflate I am seeing Sachin not doing well in crunch situations... THere is a big list...
Even the double century he scored in Sydney was the final inning of the series and he did not do well at all in the earlier matches...
Sydney match was a high scoring match and everyone scored well including Sachin...

dr#
19th September 2005, 11:22 AM
what.............that fat slogger. don't make me laugh. well i suppose he doesn't get run out as much nowdays since bob woolmer started putting a plate of ladoos at the opposing end!

dr#
19th September 2005, 11:28 AM
just to make it clear that i don't hate all pakistani cricketers, i think your underrated batsman should be shahid afridi.....the guy has no fear!!! he just needs to stop smashing the first ball he sees and get some semblance of judgement and he could excel virender and adam gilchrist........not sachin, rahul, or brian.....that's pushing it!