PDA

View Full Version : Appam

Oldposts
22nd November 2004, 11:48 AM
Topic started by aarthi on Fri Oct 15 09:14:20 .

Anybody has the recipe for appam the kerala style?
Thanks in advance

Oldposts
I don't know which one is the Kerala style.
But here is one recipe for Coconut Appam. In those days, toddy was used for the fermenting process. Not anymore though. :-)))

PAAL APPAM
(Coconut Pancake)

You Need:

Rice
Coconut milk
Salt to taste
Dried yeast

TO DO:

Soak rice for at least eight hours.
Grind soaked rice with coconut milk.
The consistency should be that of dosai.
Add salt to mixture.
In a small cup, mix yeast with a little sugar and warm water. Leave it for a few minutes till it becomes frothy.
Add this to the mixture and let it ferment for another 6 hours or so.
Heat a small, oiled, iron wok (measuring six in. in diameter), and spoon batter.
Give it a quick swirl so that you have a slightly thick centre and lacy sides.
Cover and let it cook for a couple of mins.
Your appam is now ready.
It can be eaten with coconut chutney or with sweetened coconut milk.

For variation, add sugar during the process of grinding. This can be eaten on its own. But because of the sugar content, the resultant appam may stick to the pan, so don't do it until you become an expert. :-))

Tips : If you are using pan for the first time, fry some grated coconut over low heat till it browns. Discard the coconut. Now coat the pan heavily with oil and leave it overnight.
When ready for cooking, let the oil smolder first, reduce heat, remove excess oil and then pour the batter in.

Oldposts
Nov,
thanks for the pal appam recipe. what kind of rice must be used for pal aappam??? Is enriched rice ok? Or is par boiled rice the one to use? can we use rice powder for that matter?

Also, do u happen to have the recipe for thenga chutney? coconut chutney?

Oldposts
Also, what is the measurement for the dried yeast in tablespoons or teaspoons? :-)

Oldposts
Aarti - That's a lot of questions. :-))

Parboiled rice is okay, but is best with pachai arisi. I am not sure what kinds of rice are available where you stay. Try experimenting with different kind of rices, in small quantities.
I've never tried Appam with rice powder, but have tried making dosai with it, to horrendous results. Personally I will never do that again. :-))

The amount of yeast to use would depend very much on the quantity of rice. Imagine baking a loaf of bread. Use similar amounts. :-))
Tablespoon? Only if you want to find your kitchen overflowing with batter when you wake up in the morning. :-))))))

As for coconut chutney, I have written one recipe here:

http://forumhub.com/southfood/18769.12.38.22.html

Oldposts
Here is one recipe for thengaai chutney:

You Need
Grated coconut
Green chilly
Ginger
Onion
Curry leaves
Tamarind (puli)
Salt to taste

Mustard seeds (Kadugu), gram (Kadalai paruppu) and onion for thaalippu

Method

Grind all the above (except thaalippu items) to a smooth paste, adding some water.
In a pan heat oil, and fry kadugu and paruppu. Add the sliced onions, and once cooked, add the
ground paste. The chutney is ready.

Oldposts
Thanks a lot nov for replying to all my queries.

Oldposts
NOV: What you have given is a recipe for AAAAPPAM. But Appam is a kind of dish, looks like adhirasam and it is sweet in taste. It is usually made for Karthigai Deepam festival!

Oldposts
Here is the recipe for "appam". As 'appar'(!) said, this is a right kind of dish for Karthigai and similar festivals...

<u><h2>appam</h2></u>
<u>Ingredients</u>

* arisi (Rice) - 1 Cup
* uLuththam paruppu (urudh Dhaal) - 1 spoon
* vendhayam - 1/4 spoon
* vaazhaipazham (banana) - 1
* vellam - 3/4 Cup (if you don't like too much sweet, you can make it 1/2 cup)
* Coconut - to taste
* Elakkaa (elaichi) - to taste

<u>Process</u>

* Soak Rice, uLuththam paruppu & vendhayam in water for about 1/2 hour
* After 1/2 hour, drain it completely (without any water) and grind it in a Grinder or Mixie.
* After 5 or 6 cycles of grinding, add 'vellam' and banana and grind it to a tick paste.
* Shred the coconut (or you can even cut it into small pieces, i.e., pallu pallaa naRukki) and add it to this paste
* Make Elaichi into powder and add it to the mix
* Heat oil in a pan
* Take the mix in a karandi and drop it as a lump in the hot oil. Each appam could be of the size of a small Muffin.
* Fry the appam till it is cooked and becomes brown.

Note:
* If you do not want to use oil, you can make 'kuzhi appam' using the 'achchu' (similar to the idly plates) and bake the appams.
* Use pachcharisi or even Basmathi Rice taste good.
* Instead of soaking and grinding the rice, you can use Maidhaa or Godhumai or Rice flower.
* The uLuththam paruppu and vendhayam are optional, but if you can, add them and I am sure you will like the taste.

This dish is one of my favorite sweets. Tastes great ! Enjoy !!

Venky Narayanan.
venkynarayanan@hotmail.com

Oldposts
venky
i was asking for the recipe for appam. I was referring to your aaaapam as appam. That is what i call it paalappam. Thanks for your recipe.
Nov's recipe was the one i wanted

Oldposts
Appar & Venky - Quite curiously, what you call as Aaaaaappam is indeed called Appam in Malaysia & Singapore. :-))

There is no dish called Aaaaappam here. :-))
Venky's recipe sounds delicious and I will certainly try it out. It sounds very close to what we call paniaaram, but of course we don't deep-fry or use bananas for paniaaram. :-))

BTW, is vellam, sugar?

Oldposts
vellam = Jaggery !

NOV: you are right. It tastes similar to paniyaaram & adhirasam. 'appam' is originally a malayalam dish. I heard that, in most of the Kerala temples they make this 'kuzhi appam' as prasaadham. (I even heard that in chettinaadu they make salty appam with rice & urudh dhaal)

Oldposts
venky: right. it's a malayalee item. Visit Coconut grove and have them with loads of hot 'vengaaya vathal kuzhambu'... Tastes heavenly :))

Oldposts
Nov,
tried your recipe for appam. t'was great. The only problem was i used a lil bit too much coconut milk and hence was watery. Tasted great though. what was the measurement for rice vs coconut milk?

Oldposts
Nov or venky,
how about a recipe for athirasam???

Oldposts
Aarti - I am afraid I can't tell you the correct measurement. It's all "kai patham" meaning adjust according to the requirement.
Sorry for being vague, but if your batter's cosistency is as for dosai, it should be correct.

RR will be posting his Adhirasam recipe in Deepavali Delights thread in a few hours. Do check it out.

I don't know many people in Malaysia who actually go through the process of making Adhirasam.
Instant ones are so easily available - you just knead some ghee into them and then it is ready for frying!

Oldposts
From: NOV (@ bkj-cache80.jaring.my) on: Wed Oct 27 21:03:57
Venky's recipe sounds delicious and I will certainly try it out. It sounds very close to what we call paniaaram, but of course we don't deep-fry or use bananas for paniaaram. :-))

BTW, is vellam, sugar?

From: Venky (@ 1cust42.tnt3.hou3.da.uu.net) on: Thu Oct 28 00:03:39
vellam = Jaggery ! <<<<<<

Chakkarai is jaggery.

vellam is known as sugar-cane candy.

There are three types of vellam - achchu vellam, vellam and mandai vellam.

>>>>>> NOV: you are right. It tastes similar to paniyaaram & adhirasam. 'appam' is originally a malayalam dish. I heard that, in most of the Kerala temples they make this 'kuzhi appam' as prasaadham. (I even heard that in chettinaadu they make salty appam with rice & urudh dhaal)<<<<<

This dish is known as Kandar Appam. It is made for the padaiyal to the kula deivams on Deepavali day in addition to kulzhi paniyaaram.

Kandhar appam is also made on Kandhar Shashti days and Thiru Kaarthigai days.

It seems to have some kind of association with Murugan.

The non-sugar variety is known as VeLLaiyappam.

These dishes are common in Chettinadu.

Oldposts
Hi,
I am trying to find the recipe for Pesaha appam or vattayappam; which is made without adding yeast.

This appam is taken to church on the day of passover. This is normally made in kerala by the orthodox christians.

Could any one provide me with this recipe???

Oldposts
recipe for Pesaha appam please!!!!
Thank you,
Sherri

Oldposts
hi, want to know where is coconut grove? anywhere in the US or in india? anwya thanx for the appam recipe.

Oldposts
I appreciate the recipe for pal appam. My mother grinds the soaked rice with water, mixes the dough with yeast and leaves it overnight. She adds the coconut milk just before she makes the pal appam. I have to try both ways. I live in Australia so fresh coconut milk is hard to come by. Which is better, tinned coconut cream or coconut powder?

Also can anyone give me a good recipe for rava thosai.

Oldposts
Aarti, I am originally from Sri Lanka and now live in South Africa. Nov's recipe for appam is what we use in Sri Lanka too. However due to not being able to get pachchai arisi (raw rice)here, I have adapted the recipe this way, which gives a fool proof appam.

1 cup rice flour, 1 1/2 cups plain wheat flour,400 -500 ml water,coconut milk or canned coconut cream or fresh milk, 2 tablespoons of sugar,1/4 teaspoon of
yeast dissolved in a two tablespoons of lukewarm water.

Mix the rice flour and plain flour adding water little a time to prevent lumps from forming, add the yeast mixture and sugar. The batter should be thick. Leave in a warm place to ferment for about 8-12 hours. Add milk and salt to the fermented batter. The batter should have a consistency to coat the back of a spoon. Spoon in about two tablespoons into a thinly oiled moderately hot thatchi or wok about 6-8 inches in diameter and swirl ir around and keep it closed while cooking for about 5-7 minutes. When the edges are golden and lacy and centre dry and cooked ease it out with a spatula or a knife so that it holds its round shape. You will get the knack of it after about the 3rd or 4th appam. If the edge does not become lacy it will be because the batter is too thick. Add some milk and continue. Be very cautious when you are adding milk, as there is nothing you can do with a too dilute batter. In Sri Lanka you can buy nonstick appam pans which makes life so much easier. This appam have never failed to impress my guests.

Oldposts
hi
i want to know if anyone has a great rava dosai recipe....like the rava dosai in hotels in madras like saravana bhavan,really thin and with small holes.thank you
priya

Oldposts
I am a malayalee, single, working abroad...

I want a good malayalee female-- friend, ( Those who know the value of a good friend )...

Are you a good friend, regardless of mother, wife, student or sister...??

send me a reply pls
bye prince

Oldposts
I would like a recipe for palappam using rice flour, coconut milk some scrapes of coconut, sugar, & yeast. I had the recipe and I lost it. It was a simple recipe. It didnt need a kurkku made from cooked rice. It was a simple and delicious recipe and the shape came out perfect. I just dont know what the measurements are. If anyone knows it can you please email it to me . thank you.

Oldposts
HI pls advice how does one make idly's using the powdered idly rava ,. that is available in grocery stores??

Oldposts
Appar,

The name PAAL APPAM originates from kerala and the recipe given by NOV for PAAL APPAM is the authentic kerala PAAL APPAM recipe. It is also known as Vella Appam in certain parts of Kerala. We call it as APPAM and not AAPPAM. Aapam is in tamil and people in madras make aappam and that is different.

Oldposts
Hi!
Are you looking for a friend?
Well, my name is Lisa aged 33, married for the past 3 years, no kids.Professionally,a teacher.Living in Kotagiri,a place near Ooty in the state of Tamil Nadu.I assure you that I can be a good friend provided you keep in touch on the net regularly. Please tell me more about yourself.
Lisa
E-mail- lisa_nilgiri@yahoo.com

Oldposts
Hi!
Are you looking for a friend?
Well, my name is Lisa aged 33, married for the past 3 years, no kids.Professionally,a teacher.Living in Kotagiri,a place near Ooty in the state of Tamil Nadu.I assure you that I can be a good friend provided you keep in touch on the net regularly. Please tell me more about yourself.
Lisa
E-mail- lisa_nilgiri@yahoo.com

Oldposts
is it a matrimonial colum?

Oldposts
can i get the original apam of srilankan.appam r appam tha round thosai shape.

Oldposts
Hi Anju

I am a Malayalee living in perth. I make very good Appam the recepie is : soak 300 grams of raw rice(not par boiled rice) for 3/4 hours. scrape 1/2 of a cocunut-medium size and grind in a wet grinder or a mixer. Should grind it very fine add one table spoon of sugar and salt to taste. keep it for fermentation. Add yeast(2 to 3 grams) one hour before you need to make the Appam. To make more rich you can add 1/2 cup of coconut milk instead waten while grinding the rice. Make sure you are not keeping the flour in the fridge after adding yeast. Try and send me your experience of making this recepie.
Good luck : Sunitha Sundrem

Oldposts
I wud like to share a simple malaysian snack to all my friends who like fried vegetarian noodle.

1 packet dry rice noodle(soak for 1/2 hr
in warm water) and
drain the water.
1 potato (peel wash and cut into thin pcs n fry)
30 gm mustard or chinese chives (cut 1 inch)
1 pc carrot diced
2 pcs tofu (cut into small pcs n fry)
30 gm cabbage
2 tomatoes
30 gm chilies (grinded)
little garlic and onion cut in small pcs
2 tablespoon of oil.
salt to taste.
1 teaspoon lime juice.

Heat the wok with oil.Fry the garlic and onion.Pour the grinded chilies and fry till the chilies cooked.Add tomatoes and carrots n fry with the chilies. Add the noodles,cabbaage,chinese chives,salt and fry till they cook. Add the fried tofu and potatoes and mix well. Add lime juice and off the fire. Stir well and serve with hot coffee or tea. It is a nutritious dish.

Oldposts
Paalappam recipe - does not need the 'kurukku' (gruel) that most other recipes need.
Thoroughly rinsed Raw rice - 2 cups - to be soaked in 1 cup of water
Coconut - 1/2 - To be grated and milk extracted. In case you are using tinned coconut milk (which is not too watery) please use 200 ml.
Yeast - 1/2 teaspoon
Sugar - 1 teaspoon
Cooked raw rice - 1 cup

Set aside 1/4 cup of coconut milk. Heat it (when you dip your index finger, the milk should be tepid). Add yeast and sugar and let it rise.
Grind the raw rice along with the water used for soaking, coconut milk and cooked raw rice. You should get a fairly smooth thick batter. Add the yeast and mix well. Let the mixture stand for 6 to 7 hours. When ready to make palappams, add sugar and salt to taste.
N.B. Go easy on the sugar if this is your first attempt at making palappams.

Oldposts
hi friends, i want to make kuzhi apam, but do not have appam kadai. does anybody has experience of making kuzhi appam directly in the kadai?

thanks