PDA

View Full Version : Parineeta

Niranjana
29th July 2005, 09:24 PM
Anyone saw Parineeta? I read a REview in HIndu recently. Seems the movie isn't upto the novel. I adore Vidya Balan, anyway. :)

ssanjinika
29th July 2005, 10:15 PM
I havent read the novel ..but the movie is good.Manages to bring in a feel of 1970s calcutta and Vidya Balan is Great.Definitely worth watching.

lordstanher
30th July 2005, 11:05 AM
I havent read the novel ..but the movie is good.Manages to bring in a feel of 1970s calcutta and Vidya Balan is Great.Definitely worth watching.

1970s did u say?? Woww! :D then I gotta see this movie......'cos I luv watching '70s movies........esp. when I can see lots of old cars in them..... :wink:
Btw, I rem. reading in the paper once tho, tat this movie was set back in the '60s......? :?
Neways tat actress Vidya Balan looks quite good in the trad. garb as well! :wink: :D
She doesn't hav much S.Indian features in her tho.......

Niranjana
30th July 2005, 01:52 PM
She looks like a South Indian. She's got her roots in Palghat, but settled in Mumbai.

Niranjana
31st July 2005, 02:10 PM
Vidya, I feel is even better looking than Ash. But the bedroom scenes with Saif & Sanjay Dutt could have been avoided.......I wish it wasn't there. I'm a bleady, old-fashioned South Indian...........lol!

lordstanher
31st July 2005, 05:57 PM
But the bedroom scenes with Saif & Sanjay Dutt could have been avoided.......I wish it wasn't there. I'm a bleady, old-fashioned South Indian...........lol!

Hmm.......well, atleast ur not the only one! :wink:
Btw, um......reading this post of urs, I now feel rather uncomfy/am havin 2nd thots abt watching the movie..... :? d'u mind telling me a synopsis of the story plse.?? :D

Niranjana
1st August 2005, 09:12 AM
Well, the truth is I couldn't see the movie fully. The first disc stopped after an hr. The second stopped after 30 mts. That's the tragedy! I will be firing the guy at the videoshop, who promised that this is a master copy. Its better not to see a movie than see half....Sigh!

Regarding the scenes, when asked in an interview, she says the scenes were so important that it could not be removed from the film. But there are so many ways to show that, tactfully, rite?
Like a flower crushed in between the sheets or the clothes piled up in a corner. or the disfigured sindhur in the forhead ?

Why should I worry if her parents aren't? LOL!

Niranjana
1st August 2005, 02:43 PM
[tscii:f312e1460c] 10 things about Vidya Balan

Vidya Balan had to undergo 40 screen tests before she was chosen for Parineeta
1. After seeing her performance in Parineeta, Vidya has bagged three roles in Bollywood.

2. Vidya had to go through 40 screen tests and 17 make-up shoots before she was chosen for the lead role in Parineeta.

3. She has acted in more than 25 ad films, most of which were directed by Pradeep Sarkar. She is best known for her performance in Equal sugar free ad which was again directed by Pradeep Sarkar.

4. She made her debut as a model in a Surf Excel advertisement in 1998.

5. She is trained in Carnatic music; this quality helped her bagging the role of Lolita in Parineeta, where her character revolves around music.

6. She decided to join films the day she interacted with Shabana Azmi while in college. She idolises her and has taken many acting tips from her.

7. Vidya Balan did her schooling from St Antony’s School and later on joined St Xavier’s College from where she graduated in sociology.

8. She comes from a middleclass family from Chembur and has an older sister.

9. While shooting with Saif Ali Khan for the movie, she became a good friend of Saif and shared a good rapport with him. Vidya is also close to Saif’s children.

10. Vidya is spiritually inclined. She went to Shirdi before the shooting for Parineeta commenced and visits a Sai mandir near her house in Chembur everyday.
[/tscii:f312e1460c]

lordstanher
1st August 2005, 05:50 PM
Now I rem. where I saw her when u mentioned the surf excel ad!
Didn't she always act as a wife/mother in various ads.....inc. one for Maggi noodles & also a Kawasaki(?) bike ad.......its this ad where she acts as a housewife receiving her husband home when he's on leave from the Army......then while listening to the radio tat night, he gets orders to return the next morning......and takes his son out on his bike to make him happy.....?
I always thot she looked good in a trad. garb.....but didn't know she was so young! :D Well, going by the standards of today's movies, I'm personally a bit unhappy tat she decided to go for the film industry......neways, to each their own.......! :D
Oh, and yea I managed to read the story synopsis online! :D
Also its only just now tat I got to know therez another heroine (Raima Sen) in Parineeta besides Vidya! :lol:

Niranjana
2nd August 2005, 09:09 AM
Yes, Raima Sen and even Diya Mirza are doing side roles in the movie.

You are right . She's the same one in as the Army wife- I think it was an Album. She was there Ponds Face cream also. Yes, even I think she looks too traditional & a bit old for her age. Anyway........I like her.

What I don't understand is how can there be 40 screen tests? If u r rejected once after a screen test, how can you be tested again?

Alan
23rd October 2005, 08:28 AM
I saw the movie- its good. They have captured the Calcutta in the 60s feel.

Thiru
10th November 2005, 07:18 AM
I saw this movie yesterday.. Its 'old wine in a old bottle' (i mean set in the 1960's)...I mean most of the movie is very predictable but the director has done a good job in keeping the audience interested... Vidya balan has done a great job and Saif has matured well as an actor.. Its the usual Sanjay dutt and nothing new to offer... The 60's background and the one song was what made it different from a typical hindi movie..

lordstanher
10th November 2005, 08:31 AM
The 60's background and the one song was what made it different from a typical hindi movie..
Um.....ne '60s cars/scooters seen in it as well?? Herald? 'Old' Fiat? Lambretta??........If so I'd be eager to see it! :D

ssanjinika
10th November 2005, 07:17 PM
Well..they do show a few old cars..though Im not sure about the makes.These are cars which have the doors opening the other way around...if you know what I mean :P

lordstanher
10th November 2005, 08:32 PM
Well..they do show a few old cars..though Im not sure about the makes.These are cars which have the doors opening the other way around...if you know what I mean :P
Oh, those must be the 'old' Fiats (Italian-made) of the '50s/early '60s.......the front doors open backwards (called as suicide doors back then! :D).......I'm guessing those were the ones in the movie as those were the only cars in the '60s w/ such doors.........my friend in Pune recently got one of those.......
But I wish they'd used atleast 1 Herald! They looked much better! :wink:
Btw, I rem. u saying in tat other thread tat ur family had a cream/black Herald in the early '80s.........was it w/ 2-doors??

ssanjinika
10th November 2005, 08:58 PM
Yup it was..I remember we had to push the front seat in front for me to get into the back seat :).Now we have a honda 2 door coupe(here in the US) and when ever I sit in the backseat im transported to those long gone herald days :sigh: :D.

lordstanher
10th November 2005, 10:37 PM
Yup it was..I remember we had to push the front seat in front for me to get into the back seat :).Now we have a honda 2 door coupe(here in the US) and when ever I sit in the backseat im transported to those long gone herald days :sigh: :D.

Yea, I know....:D
I had a Black 2-door Herald a few yrs ago......my 1st car! Only it was my mother who had to crawl in & out of the back seat when I took my parents out in it (as I'd refuse to touch their Maruti! :lol: ).......unftly it got badly rusted in the last 2 yrs of my stay abroad plus I wasn't in a position to maintain it so I had to sell it this yr- for scrap! :cry:
Hope to be able to buy another one in future as time/money permits.......

Alan
10th November 2005, 11:06 PM
They also showed cakes being made in the old way- plugging the batter filled vessel.

But Diya's clothes were too modern even by today's standards. I mean off shoulders & all. Did women in 60s wear those, however modern?

Ms. Balan is amazing! Both acting & her looks! I'm sure she is a promising new comer.

lordstanher
10th November 2005, 11:22 PM
But Diya's clothes were too modern even by today's standards. I mean off shoulders & all. Did women in 60s wear those, however modern?
Hmm.......afa I've seen, not until the late '60s......until then blouses were all high-neck/bottle-neck! :D These were common again in the '80s........

Alan
11th November 2005, 08:15 AM
The director has overlooked this point? Or could it be that the Brits left some of their culture behind, which was promptly copied by the affluent?

lordstanher
11th November 2005, 02:15 PM
The director has overlooked this point? Or could it be that the Brits left some of their culture behind, which was promptly copied by the affluent?
Actually Brit (& in general all Western women) in the pre-Independance (or even until the late '50s) wore conservative/high-necked clothing......:D

ssanjinika
11th November 2005, 07:25 PM
Yup..I dont think even the brits wore off shouldered clothes during the 1960s..I think miniskirts became a fashion in the 1970s only..but wait a min..I seem to recall seeing a marlyn monroe poster somewhere in which she wears something which can only be termed as having no shoulders :D.Its a halter dress.hmm....maybe that influence?

Alan
14th November 2005, 02:39 PM
Ah! yes, It could be the Hollywood influence! but still Indian women wore such stuff? I've never read/heard such a thing

ssanjinika
14th November 2005, 07:11 PM
Nope dont think they wore off shouldered clothes period.Guess the director slipped a bit on that :).
LS:
I can totally understand your facination with the 1960s and 1970s.Sometimes I wish I had lived in that era too.(I was born in the late 1970s and before I knew it, it was 1984 already(that is my earliest memory).
My husband just returned from India and bought a lot of old Tamil movies like Galatta Kalyanam,Bama vijayam and such..shuks the era sure looks golden :D.

lordstanher
14th November 2005, 08:09 PM
Yes SS......I feel the same way too even tho I wasn't even born until 1981! :(
Neways reg. off-shouldered clothes, I'm jus reckoning tat they may hav existed even in those times......but ONLY for the high class........quite unlike today........cos I donno exactly wat yr in the '60s Parineeta is based on but I hav the VCD of this movie "Waqt", circa 1965 (bought it mainly to c all the old cars in it, esp. Heralds! :wink: ) and in this famous song "Aage bhi jaaye na thoo....." where everyone has a ballroom dance, an actress (forgot her name) playing the "Rani" of sum province comes in a white Sari w/ a sleeveless, low-back blouse tats nearly slipping off her shoulders! ('wonder wat the society then wud've thot of it when these weren't 1/2 as common as now!).....
So I guess if Diya plays a gal of the high society in Parineeta then tat outfit wud've been correct on her......

ssanjinika
14th November 2005, 08:46 PM
Remember that song !Actually when skin tight clothes with sleeveless tops/kameezes were the fasion of the day I see no harm in off shouldered clothes.

lordstanher
14th November 2005, 09:29 PM
Actually when skin tight clothes with sleeveless tops/kameezes were the fasion of the day
Yea, skin-tight salwar kameez was a fashion in the '60s......(which is prob. y back then it wasn't considered as decent as it is now!)........and yea, evn I don't think those appropriate either.....! :D

PS- this may be one of the last posts in this ID of mine......gonna change it shortly! Hope its better than this one! :D

ssanjinika
14th November 2005, 09:32 PM
Ohh can you do that??Change your id but keep your posts or are you gonna be someone totally diff and we gotto guess who the old LS was :wink: ?

lordstanher
14th November 2005, 10:39 PM
Ohh can you do that??Change your id but keep your posts or are you gonna be someone totally diff and we gotto guess who the old LS was :wink: ?
Um....actually its like both! :wink:
I pm'd one of the mods who said tat tho I can't change the existing username & it'll be canc'd once I notify them, my old posts r (thankfully) not gonna be deleted! :D
But still, u won't hav difficulty in finding me out 'cos I'm gonna retain the same avtaar! :wink:

Cyl! 8-)

Alan
20th November 2005, 01:17 PM
LordStanher is a charmer, isn't he?

Lambretta
21st November 2005, 08:30 AM
LordStanher is a charmer, isn't he?
Um...not really, I'm scared of snakes! :wink: :lol:

Alan
24th November 2005, 10:19 PM
LOL! Tha's a nice one. :-)