PDA

View Full Version : What is your latest read?

Pages : [1] 2 3

a.ratchasi
25th July 2005, 11:05 AM
I have just finished reading The Queen & I by Sue Townsend.

It is supposed to be a 'laugh-out-loud-funny' kinda book, though it was least funny to me. :roll: Instead, I felt sorry for the queen at first and admiration later for her ability to be part of the lower strata folks without compromise.

Anyone has read it yet?

Shoba
27th July 2005, 06:32 PM
This book lies in the pile of unread books. Will read and post whether it's a ha-ha book. Sue Townsend (Adrian Mole fame) is known for her typical Bristish wry humour, instead slapstick though...

I've just finished The Hungry Tide by Amitav Ghosh (after finishing JKR'S Half Blood Prince of course :P )..and have now picked up "Remember When" by Nora Roberts. My first NR.

The Hungry Tide is about the "tide country" which is the collective area of Kolkata and the present Bangladesh region. About dolphins and cyclones narrated thro quite a number of interesting characters.

Not the usual fare dished out by the recent crop of Indian writers writing in English, where usually the emphasis is to pander to the Western world, romanticising poverty and such! I was interested in the way Ghosh brought out the essence of the tide country and her people and their ways, which made me speak to people from this area and find out more.

It's not a fast paced book, but instead something which you pick up to read coz you want to soak yourself with its contents!

Shoba

lordstanher
27th July 2005, 07:01 PM
Ok.....my latest read: HARRY POTTER & THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE by J K Rowling.

How I feel abt it: Well, overall quite good except for th ending.......said abt it in more detail in the other thread abt JKR/HP fans...... :D

Kollywoodfan
30th July 2005, 02:26 AM
Has anyone read "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson? It was a best-seller. It's so random and hilarious. :lol: :lol:

a.ratchasi
1st August 2005, 02:43 PM
This book lies in the pile of unread books. Will read and post whether it's a ha-ha book. Sue Townsend (Adrian Mole fame) is known for her typical Bristish wry humour, instead slapstick though...

Hi Shoba. Looking for forward to see your review of The Queen and I. I will be starting on Adrian Mole- The Wilderness Years; hopefully tonight. Will review it once I'm done.

Hi Kollywoodfan.
Hope to hear more on A Walk in the Woods.

Lord, glad you have enjoyed the latest HP offering. :)

sabari
25th August 2005, 05:41 PM
im reading "triumph of the sun" by wilbur smith...am i alone thinking smith's books are ultra cool or someone out there who thinks the same?...im fascinated by the 19th century africa he has described in all his books

coucou
1st September 2005, 09:13 PM
i read 1984 by george orwell
can anyone read this book?
he is my favorite writer, can anyone read his books?

a.ratchasi
6th September 2005, 07:57 AM
I read Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years right after The Queen and I. The fella is simply hilarious. True enough, there are stranger beings than oneself!! So, don't be too harsh on yourself. :lol: :lol:

Querida
6th September 2005, 06:07 PM
I read "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4" again not so laugh out loud as wry smile inducing...

I too have read the "Hungry Tide"...I was hooked to Amitav Ghosh after reading "The Glass Palace" and "Calcutta Chromosome" never would have I thought the Sunderbans and Dolphins could be so intertwined...and the characters are faulted with a grace, Ghosh seems to handle chronicles well..though I do agree with Shoba about the pace of the novel...i will admit that I was enthralled with the cover it was so eye-catching and beautiful:

http://www.ffbooks.co.uk/images/n13/n69999.jpg

I have not read "1984" as yet but praise for it is unbounded...though i am quite fond of his "animal farm"...short and bittersweet

the last novel I finished was "Tess of the D'Urbervilles"..Hardy's prose is so beautifully written that you can not help feel your heart wrench for the wronged heroine...

Surya
8th October 2005, 03:55 PM
I'm reading 2 books right now.

Shivaji: The Great Guerilla. (2nd time)

Stalking the Angel by Robert Crais. Mainly for inspiration for the Clock.

phantom363
9th October 2005, 04:04 AM
Something strange in my experience reading Adrian Mole. I read the books while I was visiting Madras. They were so funny that I laughed loud several times and once fell off my chair.

Several months later, when I visited the same books in Canada, they did not appear funny.

Is it something to do with India and the British?

a.ratchasi
13th October 2005, 02:33 PM
Memoirs of a Geisha is one gripping novel.

As the story progressed to highlight little Chiyo's journey towards becoming a geisha, I could not help but to think that the protoganist was a real person.

So much so I had tried to look up for the poster of Mameha. :oops:

Well, that simply means the author has met his objective.
The title is afterall, aptly named a memoir...

Kudos to Arthur Golden!

Arthur Golden Q&A (http://www.randomhouse.com/vintage/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780679781585&view=qa)

Click on this link only if you have read the book (http://lantech.geekvenue.net/bookvenue/thebuzz/sharon/bookbuzz/982792105/index_html)

NM
14th October 2005, 03:59 AM
Yes AR! Agreed, Memoirs of a Geisha is simply a superb novel. I too had this feeling that it was real...... :D :D..

Querida
16th October 2005, 04:58 AM
my sentiments exactly i almost wish that there was no author's note at the end.

malligai
18th October 2005, 10:57 PM
Hii Friends!!

Just wondering of anyone here has read Nicholas Evan's "The Divide" or the "Horse Whisperer"...

If anyone has, can u post a short review of these books for me.. :)

Thanks in advance..

Arthi
19th October 2005, 09:37 AM
Hi
I read a book called "The Goal". This is a management novel.. really nice. The plant manager faces problem in his plant, and he gets a memo from his higher authority saying ... that the plant is going to close down if he fails to show improve productivity within 3 months.

so how the plant manager increases the productivity of his plant within 3 months is the story.

People those who handle inventory can try this ...

Anoushka
19th October 2005, 04:56 PM
Currently reading "The rough guide to Pregnancy and birth" by Kaz Cooke. Found this book when I was looking to buy a book for my pregnant sis-in-law! I would definetly recommend this book for all would be mothers :) The book goes week by week of pregnancy and it is hillarious...

abbydoss1969
20th October 2005, 07:44 PM
I just finished Lawrence Sanders's first bestseller 'First deadly sin".
It was a real Yawn inducing novel, at 600 pages, it goes on and on.
It is a police procedural about a serial killer and the cop trying to catch him.The serial killer pov has lots of pseudo philosophical drivel. The identity of the killer is known to the cop by the 300th page. the novel goes on for another 300 pages!
It was written in 1972, These days we have short chapters with not more than a few pages.
I heard Lawrenc e Sanders other novels are better have you guys any idea?

It is also interesting to compare novels written in 70s and in the 90s.The present novels are fast reads

RR
20th October 2005, 08:28 PM
I remember reading almost all the "Deadly sins" during college days. Pls don't be a sinner like me. Avoid at all cost.. !

a.ratchasi
24th October 2005, 07:28 AM
Hii Friends!!

Just wondering of anyone here has read Nicholas Evan's "The Divide" or the "Horse Whisperer"...

If anyone has, can u post a short review of these books for me.. :)

Thanks in advance..

Hi Malligai.

I have not read the Horse Whisperer though I had once attempted to watch the movie by Robert Redford. It was quite a bore, so I gladfully changed the channel. :P

Querida
8th November 2005, 01:14 AM
A.Ratchasi!

Nice to know that there's atleast another person who is not all weepy over Horse Whisperer....the book might have convinced me otherwise if I had read it, but as the movie goes...no thank you! :roll:

ramsri
12th November 2005, 11:19 PM
latest read ... 'The Great Indian Novel' by shashi tharoor. finally got round to reading it. quite an interesting book, actually. it's an honest attempt to go off the beaten track and do something genuinely different - the result is a book that's a trifle confusing at times, but for the most part, quite a pleasant read.

abbydoss1969
14th November 2005, 02:18 PM
latest read ... 'The Great Indian Novel' by shashi tharoor. finally got round to reading it. quite an interesting book, actually. it's an honest attempt to go off the beaten track and do something genuinely different - the result is a book that's a trifle confusing at times, but for the most part, quite a pleasant read.

Is it the modern interpretation of mahabharta?

ramsri
14th November 2005, 09:44 PM
Is it the modern interpretation of mahabharta?

it's not really an interpretation in that it doesn't try to offer a commentary on the Mahabharata. instead, it recreates the epic and presents it in modern, twentieth century terms. so you'll find that the story itself is an interesting blend of characters from the Mahabharata and events from the indian freedom struggle. lots of parallels drawn between characters and situations ... gets a little contrived at times, but eminently worth reading.

Alana
17th November 2005, 03:59 PM
My latest read is "Heartsongs" http://images.amazon.com/images/P/078686947X.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg, this book will be very good for you & you children, it was written by a wonderful boy who is not longer alive. "What is a Heartsong?
Mattie has been writing poetry since he was three years old. "I write to express my thoughts and feelings," he explains. You hear the word "heartsongs" a lot in his work. "Your heartsong is your inner beauty," says Mattie. "It's the song in your heart that wants you to help make yourself a better person, and to help other people do the same. Everybody has one."
He wanted to be remembered: As a "Poet, Peacemaker, and Philosopher Who Played" . His name was Mattie Stepanek
http://www.mattieonline.com

Heartsong ( Mattie was 6 years old when he wrote this poem)

I have a song, deep in my heart,
And only I can hear it.
If I close my eyes and sit very still
It is so easy to listen to my song.
When my eyes are open and
I am so busy and moving and busy,
If I take time and listen very hard,
I can still hear my Heartsong.
It makes me feel happy.
Happier than ever.
Happier than everywhere
And everything and everyone
In the whole wide world
Happy like thinking about Going to Heaven when I die.
My Heartsong sounds like this:

I love you! I love you!
How happy you can be!
How happy you can make
The whole world be!

And sometimes it's other
Tunes and words, too,
But it always sings the
Same special feeling to me.
It makes me think of
Jamie, and Katie and Stevie,
And other wonderful things.
This is my special song.
But do you know what?
All people have a special song
Inside their hearts!
Everyone in the show wide world
Has a special Heartsong.
If you believe in magical, musical hearts,
And if you believe you can be happy,
Then you, too, will hear your song.

March 1996

FOR OUR WORLD
We need to stop.
Just stop.
Stop for a moment.
Before anybody
Says or does anything
That may hurt anyone else.
We need to be silent.
Just silent.
Silent for a moment.
Before we forever lose
The blessing of songs
That grow in our hearts.
We need to notice.
Just notice.
Notice for a moment.
Before the future slips away
Into ashes and dust of humility.
Stop, be silent, and notice.
In so many ways, we are the same.
Our differences are unique treasures.
We have, we are, a mosaic of gifts
To nurture, to offer, to accept.
We need to be.
Just be.
Be for a moment.
Kind and gentle, innocent and trusting,
Like children and lambs,
Never judging or vengeful
Like the judging and vengeful.
And now, let us pray,
Differently, yet together,
Before there is no earth, no life,
No chance for peace.

September 12, 2001

abbydoss1969
18th November 2005, 02:08 PM
I saw him once on the "Oprah".

God only knows what I was thinking when I was six!

Like children and lambs,

Children are supposed to be kind and gentle? I heard otherwise!

Alana
18th November 2005, 11:09 PM
abbydoss1969 wrote

I heard otherwise!
:D

this week-end i`ll travel to Toronto. Could someone please recommend me a book store where i could bye some good books in Tamil ? Thank you!

Querida
23rd November 2005, 01:25 AM
Hi Alana thought i could help...have been to two (Shankar and KMBD)

You can go to Murugan Book Depot (1241-A Ellesmere Road
Scarborough) (416-285-9118)

or you can go to Kalai Magal Book Depot @ eglinton and markham...it's in a plaza with lots of other tamil stores...kinda hard to miss. Again another one at Finch and Birchmount.

Or you can go to New Shankar & Co. @ 2365 Eglinton Avenue East
Scarborough (416-750-2370)

NM
25th November 2005, 08:31 AM
For those who like to read true stories, read
Murphy's Boy by Torey Hayden. She's a child psychologist and narrates her experiences very well. This book is about a boy who had been mute for several years and started to talk after Torey came into picture and revealed his sad past. She has written few other books as well.. haven't read those yet!

malligai
2nd December 2005, 07:58 PM
FOR OUR WORLD
We need to stop.
Just stop.
Stop for a moment.
Before anybody
Says or does anything
That may hurt anyone else.
We need to be silent.
Just silent.

Be for a moment.
Like children and lambs,
Never judging or vengeful
Like the judging and vengeful.
And now, let us pray,
Differently, yet together,
Before there is no earth, no life,
No chance for peace.

September 12, 2001

Alana,

I read this poem by this little boy somewhere...very touching indeed..

Its sad that only people with short lives have such broader and peaceful insight of life... :(

Querida
3rd January 2006, 05:59 AM
Managed to read this heart-tugging novel "Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold in which a girl whose rape and murder of course affects her family tremendously...she relates her view of her family and the killer from heaven to the reader...very powerful and sometimes difficult to get through...but worth it after all.

shambhavi
5th January 2006, 08:03 PM
i finally got around to reading sidhartha an old book by herman hesse, i really enjoyed the book, was very fulfilling

Querida
6th January 2006, 01:02 AM
i finally got around to reading sidhartha an old book by herman hesse, i really enjoyed the book, was very fulfilling

Yes I agree it is fluidly written and very simply yet powerfully conveys his straying, ruin and redemption. Though it is about another it makes you feel better having read his story...the amount of change and happiness one achieves from giving up all that he thought would give him happiness is very inspiring.

shambhavi
6th January 2006, 07:15 PM
totally agree, his language is kinda spare but rteally powerful, looking for other books like that suggestions, please.

Querida
6th January 2006, 11:39 PM
actually i would be hard pressed to say that i have read anything quite like Hesse's work...especially when it concerns a religious subject. Most books are not so idyllic they may start out with this idea but then it is complicated by other circumstances or shown how it would be in a post-modern view... the latest i have read that is kinda like this, is Life of Pi by Yann Martel...but that is my opinion...still it is a very good book to read.

shambhavi
7th January 2006, 10:03 AM
i haven rd that but read his short stories which were quite nice,i really liked nikos kazantzakis-gods pauper. was well written

crazy
19th January 2006, 02:27 PM
hallo,
i recently read " the shadow of the wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon! it is one of the best seller in europe! i liked it very much and i hope you guyz will like it too!

pooja.shankar
25th January 2006, 03:16 PM
I have just finished reading The Queen & I by Sue Townsend.

It is supposed to be a 'laugh-out-loud-funny' kinda book, though it was least funny to me. :roll: Instead, I felt sorry for the queen at first and admiration later for her ability to be part of the lower strata folks without compromise.

Anyone has read it yet?

i have read a book called THE KING AND I ....and it was okay ...
later in our skool ..the dramtics club produced a play version of it and there are also 3 movies based on the same novel wid the same story

one is a black and white movie ..
one is in color ..released in aroun d1980 ..
and the other some time near 1990...

THE KING AND I ...

one of the movies was called ANNA AND THE KING ..dunno which ..
i saw the second one ..

pooja.shankar
25th January 2006, 03:23 PM
MY LAST READ WAS THE BROKER BY JOHN GRISHAM

shambhavi
25th January 2006, 07:18 PM
the book that i have just begun is G.GMarquez's 100 years of solitude its nice till now

Sinthiya
30th January 2006, 04:46 AM
Reading 'Anil's Ghost' by Michael Ondaatje

rain
11th February 2006, 09:51 AM

coincidently,i have been reading this book too. it was really refreshing.esp. the river analogy.but must say i am still trying to get around the essence of the book tho it's so full of insights.any opinions?

regards,
rain

shambhavi
12th February 2006, 08:16 PM
i think he is kinda trying to say knowledge is everywhere only if we choose to look and listen, i thhink everything in this universe can teach us only if we stop a moment and listen, this is wat i gathered wat say?

Querida
13th February 2006, 04:36 AM
Experience is the best teacher? As one of the key lessons...I think it was the redemption that he felt after experiencing and realising the limits of very other comfort/desire/pleasure before his relization of faith is crucial...good points Shambhavi :D

Anil's Ghost is a good read...not fully satisfying as I would have liked it to be and of course Ondaatje's fragmentism isn't any less....of all his books i've managed only to read a few...I liked his "coming through slaughter" the best...pure skills...do try and read it when you can

rain
18th February 2006, 12:36 AM
thanks, guys! for the pointers. yes,it's true.i mean wat else is wisdom in man but knowledge and experience.but was actually intrigued how not just learning but unlearning too which contributes to this wisdom.it is really endearing------siddharta's trial and redemption again and again.

are his other works as good?some Hesse facts from the book-----he won his nobel prize for Magister Ludi but Siddhartha is his "most influential work".(he was very taken in by the East).Narziss and Goldmund is supposed to be "his greatest novel".Steppenwolf is another interesting work as an"account of man torn between animal instinct and bourgeois respectability"

will be a couple of chapters more to the end of this book.hope to catch up during the weekend :)

regards,
rain

gaddeswarup
20th February 2006, 04:07 AM
I reread Pankaj Mishra's "Edmund Wilson in Benares". I think that this story will resonate for anybody from small places who left for for big cities or abroad. The story appeared in 'The New york Review of Books' and was reproduced in one of the Picador books on Indian literaure.
swarup

Shoba
22nd February 2006, 03:24 PM
Am reading John Connolly's books. Good mix of everthing, and the writer is not 'casual' about his fiction-he researches well into his subjects and then with a good dollop of imagination sends you on an exciting roller coaster ride!

Shoba

a.ratchasi
28th February 2006, 10:58 AM
[tscii:9975da9ce6]Anyone has read Tash Aw's Harmony Silk Factory?

It is a very depressing novel written by Tash Aw.

The writing itself is not extraordinarily splendid, but the way it unravels deserves the Booker nomination.

"The theme of surface appearance belied by deeper reality is so relentlessly explored that it becomes schematic (...) (T)he crisp promise of the initial narrating voice has not quite been fulfilled. Nevertheless, this book begins with such brio that Tash Aw’s second outing will be eagerly awaited." - Maggie Gee, Sunday Times

Read this only if you have read the book
(http://www.complete-review.com/reviews/malaysia/awtash.htm)

Review By A Blogger-Same As Above (http://www.20six.co.uk/arete/archive/2005/08/18/1xkfabrvoquj0.htm)[/tscii:9975da9ce6]

nirosha sen
1st March 2006, 04:57 AM
Hi! Would appreciate comments on the "Known World" - a book highly recommended by Oprah on her show recently.

Haven't had time to browse any leading book-stores yet. So, I would love a synopsis of this book, if anyone had read yet.

Thanks Guys and Ratchasi for starting a thoughtful thread!! :D

a.ratchasi
1st March 2006, 06:47 AM
Welcome back, Niro!

NM
2nd March 2006, 07:37 AM
Welcome back Niro!
And A.R.....congrats for still keeping this thread alive...!!
My latest are not new books, rather old ones which i've never come across before! 2 by Jeffrey Archer, "Sons of Fortune" and "Honor among thieves". I enjoyed reading both!
I'm currently reading Family Album by Margaret Scott, a good one about tracing the family tree..i've always wanted to do that..you never know.....i might find we're really related, A.R :lol: :lol: remember HHW?? :wink:

Querida
2nd March 2006, 08:17 AM
Hi NM Good to see you! :D Unfortunately I've been unable to read anything extra-curricular :( my list of "must reads" is just growing and growing...

NM
2nd March 2006, 08:33 AM
queri...good to see you too! you see i've been staying at home ever since coming to melbourne ..so have been going to the library and read......mostly about shares, health and cooking. Satretd working a month ago and decided to read while on the train..hence the three of my latest reads.....can't remember the other one i read.
Sometimes, I just like to read some of the books i've enjoyed before (read My sweet audrina by VC Andrews again!) and Thornbirds, too! :D

a.ratchasi
2nd March 2006, 11:37 AM
Hello NM. It is all in your blessings!! :D

Btw, keep me updated, the laughing walrus might be right afterall, some way or the other! :wink: :D :D

SenorJalapeno
2nd March 2006, 05:54 PM
Hi!

When I was in College, I had this habit of carrying a small notebook with me wherever I went. I would carefully sharpen a Nataraj Pencil with a shaving blade broken in half, and stick it down the spine. In this book I would record my thoughts -books that beckoned my imagination; experiences that evoked meaning; impressions of food, friends, sunsets, indelible instances of exquisite fancy and the odd girl that desperately made me want to make a fool of myself if only for the sake of being noticed...even for one brief shining moment.

I just finished reading through a notebook from Junior Intermediate when I was a bit naive to the ways of the world and though not entirely virtuous, was without a vice. Sad to say, I have noticed that though I have accomplished a little more than I had expected of myself, I have become more cynical, more un-trusting, easier to irritate and harder to please, quick to criticize, slow to apologize, too pre-occupied with problems -those that I create for myself, allow others to manufacture on my behalf or devise for others- to figure out the shape of a cloud, soak in the rain, savor the earth after a sudden downpour, or sink my toes in the sand by the sea...

I would love to read more...hopefully recover the youthful exuberance, the near naive sanguinity and above all the reckless abandon with which I had dreamt of the future. I am determined to find the dreamer who had the courage to defy the world and design his destiny.

nirosha sen
2nd March 2006, 07:20 PM
:DSenor - With all that poetic ammo, I'm surprised that you haven't started writing your sanguine observations for publications yet!! Or have you???

Rather than tightly curled up between those bound pages of teenage angst - pardon me!! - would love to at least hear if you had made an effort for the rest of the world to take a peek into that trusty journal of yours!!

I'm reminded of course of Adrian Mole - (hope I got that name right, A R!)!!

SenorJalapeno
3rd March 2006, 12:37 PM
Hi Nirosha:

A compliment speaks volumes about the person who had offered the kind word of encouragement more than it does of the person to whom it had been generously offered. Thank you. Tightly curled up I entirely am not, though shelled, deveined and cooked shrimp I most certainly resemble at times. As for inviting the world for a polite peek into my 'trusty journal' I do not dare.

I've been reading some of the thoughts offered along this string and have to confess that sharing anything more than the occasional stray musing would make me look the mad mendicant in gossamer rags gone knocking on a majestic masquerade with but a forged invitation and a frostbitten right foot.

But for now, I would love to find out more about Adrian Mole.

Badri
3rd March 2006, 12:40 PM
I've been reading some of the thoughts offered along this string and have to confess that sharing anything more than the occasional stray musing would make me look the mad mendicant in gossamer rags gone knocking on a majestic masquerade with but a forged invitation and a frostbitten right foot.

Whoa!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

SenorJalapeno
3rd March 2006, 12:59 PM
Hi Obelix!

Still mad at Getafix the Druid for not offering you a sip of the magic potion? Lol. I love those comics. Still read them. Favorite one is Mansion of the Gods. That bard could really erm sing. Thanks for making me laugh.

pavalamani pragasam
3rd March 2006, 01:17 PM
SenorJalepeno, you may find many kindred souls around you. The creeping in of the cynicism is only temporary. Your basic idealism will surface above against all odds & will keep alive green realms of sweet fantasy & offer immense solace!

pooja.shankar
3rd March 2006, 01:21 PM
i read ... THE BROKER by john grisham and Awaken the gaint by anthony robbins

i am starting Chill Factor today

bingleguy
3rd March 2006, 05:57 PM
John Grisham ..... a gifted writer .... He takes you into the life of a bar at law .... his Rainmaker, The Client, The Partner were some of his works that i ve read .....

hows this The Broker ?

pavalamani pragasam
3rd March 2006, 06:22 PM
[tscii:8aef329cf2]Today I read Shiv Khera’s “You can win”. Wow! What a moral booster! A must-read for everybody! Recalls what Bacon said:
“SOME BOOKS ARE TO BE CHEWED,SOME ARE TO BE SWALLOWED AND SOME ARE TO BE DIGESTED”

An excellent mantra for all: Winners don't do different things. They do things differently.[/tscii:8aef329cf2]

SenorJalapeno
4th March 2006, 08:02 PM
I started reading 'Walking With God On The Road You Never Wanted To Travel' by Mark Atteberry today. For those of you who have a powerful aversion to reading books with strong religious themes, you may want to stay away. Personally, this book has helped me recover a few rampant strands in the '...woof and the warp of the tapestry...'(Gabriel Garcia Marquez, The Autumn of the Patriarch) of my life. I lost a brother when I was eight and had some serious issues with God and the world. I wish I had found this book then.

pooja.shankar
4th March 2006, 08:40 PM
[tscii:fa6c5600e5]Today I read Shiv Khera’s “You can win”. Wow! What a moral booster! A must-read for everybody! Recalls what Bacon said:
“SOME BOOKS ARE TO BE CHEWED,SOME ARE TO BE SWALLOWED AND SOME ARE TO BE DIGESTED”

An excellent mantra for all: Winners don't do different things. They do things differently.[/tscii:fa6c5600e5]

Well ...u will be surprised to know ....he himself told in a conference that his ideas are all waht he has learnt from other people's books ...

i attended his seminar .... yea yea ....he was really good ...

but the guy is making good money out of his books and seminars ....
he concentrates on corporate customers ..

there is another personality developer from singapore called Pon Elangu ...... he is really enthusiastic .... he is truely wonderful
and genuine ... he listened to all the teens ..and young adults and talked to us ....just like we do :wink: ...
His seminar was called the "Inner Mind "

Coming back to BOOKS ..

some of my related recommendations are dale carnegie 's " How to win friends and Influence people " and his "stop worryign and start living "
and also Antony robbins " Awaken the giant within ".

Shiv khera doesnt give much that BOOST ......

pooja.shankar
5th March 2006, 10:22 AM
John Grisham ..... a gifted writer .... He takes you into the life of a bar at law .... his Rainmaker, The Client, The Partner were some of his works that i ve read .....

hows this The Broker ?

It is better than all of his earlier stuff ..

i like the client. ...though it not as popular as pelican breif or the firm

i like the way they concentrate on the kid .....

and the way the neophyte lady lawyer smartly out does the FBI guys ..

THE BROKER is got a different style ....

there isn't too much law ...
and it is different fro mthe usual GRISHAMS..i liked it really

but some aspects of it are hard to believe ..if u read it .... u ll see when he talks about neal backman .... the son of joel backman (who is the BROKER )... he talks abt him as an obedient son cares for his father and who's wife is truely devoted .....
the description is weird coz ... i always get the picture americans dunt really care ....and to hear about a devoted wife and an obedient son ....is hard to believe ..especially being the son of the BROKER ...who makes millions in the day and chases skirts at night , ...it is nice to see ...his son (from one of his wifes ...) turns out so well and he is nice to his father ....(even though his father barely cares for him ...and ruins his career ...)

RP
14th March 2006, 11:11 PM
Has anyonr read NINA'S JOURNEY by Nina Makovna published by REgenery Gateway?
This is a memoir which deals with parting of Nina from her father during the Russian War.

padf00t
10th April 2006, 08:12 PM
Has anyone read the trilogy of Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. Its really gud. Its about racism only she's changed it a bit. Its the blacks who r rich and powerful while the whites r suffering under there rule. Ive read the 1st 2 books in the trilogy. I just cant find the 3rd one. :(

Surya
12th April 2006, 06:29 AM
Speaking about racism, I just finished

"Cry, The Beloved Country." - By Alan Paton.

A Very Good Book! Supposedly also a movie now.

It's about a black guy called Kumalo who goes to Johannesburg in search of his son. The book shows the state of the Blacks in South Africa, and the rate of Crime, in Johanesburg, and the Racial Sentiments of the blacks, Afrikanners (White - Dutch), and the White Britishers through different expierences Kumalo has while looking for his son. Very Deep! :(

a.ratchasi
14th April 2006, 08:51 AM
Has anyone read The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason?

crazy
14th April 2006, 08:35 PM

read about 4-5 months ago, the only thing i liked in that was the ending and his black friend (i dont remember his name).

crazy
14th April 2006, 08:43 PM
i read a book called "rebecca" it was even made into a film, and my librarian highly recommended!

have any one read "shadow of the winds"?

Priyankak
17th April 2006, 02:36 AM
Ive read lesson before dying. Good story.. but didnt finish reading end.

a.ratchasi
17th April 2006, 05:55 AM

read about 4-5 months ago, the only thing i liked in that was the ending and his black friend (i dont remember his name).

Hmm...thanks. I better hold on to the purchase then!

ssanjinika
15th May 2006, 09:59 PM
I just finished reading "The Death of Vishnu" by Manil Suri.Really enjoyed reading it,though I cant say I loved the book.The book was too disturbing and weird but I couldnt put the book down.I was hooked from page 1.Its very well written.Give it a try if you happen to see it somewhere :).

Ghlli
16th May 2006, 02:31 AM
the child called it :cry: :cry: such a sad...but horrible in the sense...that there are horrible people....the book is good...very gd....but v horrible...the stuff tht happen in the book are vbery horrible :cry:

shambhavi
17th May 2006, 03:49 PM
reading a travel book by tim cahill, very funny and quite a bit of fun

crazy
19th May 2006, 01:14 PM
iam reading a book called
the historian by elizabeth kostova!

Sadhana
19th May 2006, 07:08 PM
I just finished reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. A very short book with so much insight into life. It influenced me to the point that I started wondering who my five people would be... :lol:

crazy
19th May 2006, 07:13 PM
I just finished reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. A very short book with so much insight into life. It influenced me to the point that I started wondering who my five people would be... :lol:

i read this for 2-3 years ago, isnt about a worker in an amusing park........not sure, get killed in an accident or something and goes to heaven and meet his father, mother, the girl he saved, his wife .................isnt?
its just a great book, i loved it!

Sadhana
19th May 2006, 08:03 PM
i read this for 2-3 years ago, isnt about a worker in an amusing park........not sure, get killed in an accident or something and goes to heaven and meet his father, mother, the girl he saved, his wife .................isnt?
its just a great book, i loved it!

Yep, yep... it's the same book, except I don't think he meets his mother but instead someone else. I don't want to give away the plot in case anyone else decides to read it :)

Sanguine Sridhar
20th May 2006, 11:59 PM
Finished -- Stars Shines down - SSD
Reading -- Bloodline - SSD

Sinthiya
21st May 2006, 08:41 AM
i'm reading Daughter of God' by Lewis Purdue....

i read few pages a while back...now back to reading from the beginning....

Beckham: nice signature...

crazy
26th May 2006, 06:45 PM
i just finished reading: A bend in the river by v.s naipaul.

ramky
27th May 2006, 05:27 AM
Finished reading "A Sparrow Falls" ( Wilbur Smith ) - for the 2nd time.

rocketboy
27th May 2006, 11:04 AM
Finished reading ' Deception Point ' by Dan Brown. He does it once again.

crazy
30th May 2006, 02:19 PM
wow
i finished reading "born confused" by tanuja desai hider.

i first thought it might be about how life is in foreign countries for desis................but it was much much better than i thought!
it was funny, intresting and also made me think!
ABCD :lol:

a.ratchasi
6th June 2006, 12:50 PM
The Devil Wears Prada (http://www.randomhouse.com/features/devilwearsprada/) by Lauren Weisberger.

I have just breezed through the first 50 pages, so far so funny.

Zimmermann
26th June 2006, 11:28 AM
Wrong about Japan by Peter Carey

Who wants to find a lot about Japan or Manga might be better served elsewhere, but as a travalogue this book is interesting. If you've ever been to Japan and know a bit about the country you can enjoy the book comparing to your experiences.

Sadhana
26th June 2006, 10:53 PM
I just finished reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It is a very emotion packed novel that put me to tears. The characters are still in my memory even after I have finished reading the book.

a.ratchasi
27th June 2006, 02:38 PM
Top 100 books/novels:

BBC's The Big Read (http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100.shtml)

NEA's Kids' top 100 books (http://www.nea.org/readacross/resources/kidsbooks.html)

The 100 greatest novels of all time (http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,1061037,00.html)

All-Time 100 Novels (http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/the_complete_list.html)

2005 Man Booker Prize List (http://www.themanbookerprize.com/2005prize/longlist.php)

ramky
27th June 2006, 11:59 PM
just now started reading Pride of the Nation : Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

crazy
10th July 2006, 03:54 PM
finished reading: KRISTINS LAVRANSDATTER- 1&2

reading: FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

ramky
13th July 2006, 11:33 PM
Vaasi : is "For whom..." by Alistair McLean ?

crazy
14th July 2006, 12:43 PM
Vaasi : is "For whom..." by Alistair McLean ?

illa ramky...........its by the famous author............ERNEST HEMINGWAY :)

a.ratchasi
18th July 2006, 03:37 PM
2006 World eBook Fair Collections (http://worldebookfair.com/Collections.htm)

crazy
18th July 2006, 03:44 PM
Finished reading: for whom the bell tolls

Reading: Q & A :lol: :lol: :lol: By Vikas Swarup

so far very intresting, funny book...............giving a good picture of today india and of an ordinary citizen :lol: :lol: who won a million dollar in a TV quiz show :)

VENKIRAJA
19th July 2006, 08:27 PM
PANORAMA YRBOOK SAYS THAT THE CANTERBURY TALES BY GEOFFREY CHAUCER IS THE NO.1 AMONG THE WORLD'S TOP 100 BOOKS.AGREE?

crazy
20th July 2006, 01:40 PM
finish reading: Q & A...........wow :clap: :clap: to the author
very beautiful book................well done :)

reading: nothing........have to go the library

podalangai
20th July 2006, 03:36 PM
PANORAMA YRBOOK SAYS THAT THE CANTERBURY TALES BY GEOFFREY CHAUCER IS THE NO.1 AMONG THE WORLD'S TOP 100 BOOKS.AGREE?
No. I have read the original version, which is much better than any modern translation. But I don't think it's No. 1 among the world's top 100 books.

I am currently reading "He She and It" by Marge Piercy (also published as "Body of Glass"). It is one of the best books I've read in a long time.

thamizhvaanan
6th August 2006, 10:50 AM
Finished Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" last week, currently reading Stephen Hawking's "A breif History of Time" and also reading "Process planning and Cost estimation" by Jayakumar, but that is for the assesment day after tomorrow :wink: :P

crazy
7th August 2006, 12:44 PM
finished reading "He, she and it" by marge piercy :)
anna :P

bingleguy
7th August 2006, 12:54 PM
enna padichen :roll:

Kumudham book :-)

a.ratchasi
7th August 2006, 02:13 PM
The Mistress of Spices by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.
I think the movie is due to be released any time soon.

Starring: Aishwarya Rai as the mistress of spices.

thamizhvaanan
8th August 2006, 06:49 PM
Now into "The Devil's Alternative" by Frederick Forsyth :D

Assesments still going on :banghead:

sangeetha_me
27th August 2006, 07:55 AM
Am about to finish "Lost City" by Clive Cussler

ramky
3rd September 2006, 03:56 PM
just started reading "Future Shock" by Alvin Toffler. gives solutions reg life's situations, like dealing with drastic changes in one's life etc. so far good !

sangeetha_me
3rd September 2006, 11:13 PM
Now reading "The Prometheus Deception" by Robert Ludlum

ramky
4th September 2006, 02:23 AM
Now reading "The Prometheus Deception" by Robert Ludlum
Sangeetha : Nice one by Ludlum, though I prefer the Bourne series & the earliest ones like Holcroft Covenant, Chancellor Manuscript, etc.

sangeetha_me
4th September 2006, 03:53 AM
Hey Ramky ! Yeah..its just about okay..though I'm not too impressed with the book. Iam bored of the "Super hero" & "Master of all trades!" kind of image projected of the Hero (Nick Bryson).

Will try out the Bourne Series once i finish the three books that i have in store.

shambhavi
6th September 2006, 10:16 PM
hey have read the night by elie wiesel a really beaut book describes his life in the conc camps, very moving

sangeetha_me
7th September 2006, 12:34 AM
Now reading..."Good morning Killer" by April Smith.

seagull
8th September 2006, 03:51 AM
"Two leaves and a Bud" by Mulk Raj Anand

atomhouse
9th September 2006, 10:10 AM
finished 'Shalimar, the clown' by Rushdie...could not get the point...anyone has read the book?

started 'Deception point' by Dan Brown..

thamizhvaanan
9th September 2006, 10:19 AM
Will try out the Bourne Series once i finish the three books that i have in store.

Bourne series is quite good :thumbsup:

sangeetha_me
9th September 2006, 11:33 AM
Hey atomhouse !

Iam just starting 'Digital Fortress' by Dan Brown.

P_R
12th September 2006, 06:49 AM
Nice thread. Don't know how I missed it so long. I am currently reading 'The Understudy' by Elia Kazan. Didn't know he wrote novels ! The going is good.

sangeetha_me
16th September 2006, 02:38 AM
Now reading "The Lake House" by James Patterson.

crazy
16th September 2006, 09:41 PM
Reading: Name of the rose by Eco :)

P_R
16th September 2006, 11:39 PM
Finished 'The Understudy'. Beautiful novel. Really sensitive writing from Elia Kazan. Though it sagged a bit towards the end, overall it was highly impressive.

Starting 'The Contortionist's Handbook' by Craig Clevenger.

swathi_05
19th September 2006, 01:36 PM
i've been reading virgina andrews books these days. The first book i started was dark angel, i really loved the character troy tatterson and vc andrews takes u into a fantasy world when she describes abt the maze ...now completed casteel, laundry series and presenty reading the cutler series...

Any VC andrew's fans?

sangeetha_me
19th September 2006, 10:56 PM
Reading : Whiteout by Ken Follet

Havent read any of Andrew's...will try her book next..

seagull
21st September 2006, 01:51 AM
Reading "Nothing Lasts Forever" by Sidney Sheldon.

sheelarv
21st September 2006, 06:32 PM
Hello all,

Not much of a regular poster here, but couldn't resist telling you all some of the books I read.

The Kite Runner - by Khaled hosseni.....very emotional and a very good story teller

The Tide country - by Amitav ghosh....someone has previously reviewed this in this thread and I too was was drawn into the book. Its surprising how you read about some place that you have previously never thought much abt but since then have been interested in knowing more.

Fingersmith - by Sarah Waters.....great story with lots of twists.

Life of Pi- by Yann Martel...simple characters but strong

The curious incident of the dog at night time - by Mark Haddon....about a little boy with Aspergers syndrome .

The good women of China - by Xinran.....radio interviews with women of China and really, really sad, horrible, very moving stories about them. I cried badly when i read it.

Q&A - by vikas swarup...nice

A book about pregnancy, children....don't remember the name - by Vicki Iovine...very funny

Am currently reading a book by Suketu Mehta about the city of Bombay - Maximum City. The city of my childhood where my parents still live...very nostalgic.

Will keep this thread going with further reads,
Cheers!

thamizhvaanan
21st September 2006, 06:40 PM

This was on Aug 8th... and I am not yet done with that book!!! :x
some books are such a drag.... :banghead:

ragav89
21st September 2006, 09:28 PM
i think dan browns works were rocking and in tat my last one was the da vinci code...its just full of thrill and suspence...

ramky
21st September 2006, 09:50 PM

TM : FF novels are usually descriptive & takes time to read ! I felt "Devil's Alternative" was upto the level of "Day Of the Jackal", "Dogs of War" etc :)

RR
22nd September 2006, 10:07 AM

This used to be one of the best for those days. But some of the ideas have already appeared bits and parts in some movies. That said, this is still a great read. FF's inside details are simply incredible.

crazy
23rd September 2006, 06:41 PM
reading: "The secret life of bees" by Sue monk kidd

Shoba
23rd September 2006, 07:04 PM
The Alchemist-Paulo Coehlo
The Power of Now-Eckhart Tolle

The above two are what one would call fundamentally inspiring.

Finished with all of Dan Browns books. He has ideas, but he's not a good writer. On the other hand, John Case from whom DB has generously helped himself with the Da Vinci Code, is an unusual combo of husband&wife teaming up together to write books. Strongly recommend The genesis Code for all those who were bowled over by The Da Vinci Code.

Lined up for reading: Patricia Cornwell's At Risk & Nora Roberts' Dangerous. Dose of Thriller and soppy Romance :D !

Shoba

crazy
23rd September 2006, 11:21 PM
The Alchemist-Paulo Coehlo :thumbsup:

Shoba
24th September 2006, 07:48 PM

I wish the translator had done a better job, though.

crazy
24th September 2006, 07:49 PM

why which language did u read it in?

crazy
24th September 2006, 07:50 PM
reading: "The secret life of bees" by Sue monk kidd

Finished reading " the sec.........bees" today. Very intresting book :thumbsup:

Shoba
24th September 2006, 08:00 PM

I read the English translation from the original by by Alan R. Clarke.

crazy
24th September 2006, 08:04 PM

i bet english translation was better than norwegian :)

why, did u read in spanish before?

Shoba
24th September 2006, 08:16 PM

i bet english translation was better than norwegian :)

why, did u read in spanish before?

No, I didnt read the Spanish script..but one doesnt have to, I think, to feel that the English translation wasnt up to mark. Some areas had 'literal translations'..and that felt odd...almost disrespectful!

crazy
24th September 2006, 08:17 PM
No, I didnt read the Spanish script..but one doesnt have to, I think, to feel that the English translation wasnt up to mark. Some areas had 'literal translations'..and that felt odd...almost disrespectful!

oh .......sari sari :)

a.ratchasi
29th September 2006, 10:14 AM
Literal or not, The Alchemist had nailed the truth- it is the journey that counts, not destination! :D

sangeetha_me
29th September 2006, 07:32 PM
Just finished reading Mary Higgins Clark's "Second time around" and "Nighttime is my time"

dsath
3rd October 2006, 02:25 PM
[tscii:c147e2f04d]Read Richard Bach's 'One'. Even though I enjoyed the book, i think the climax was vaguely arbitrary. Some of his ideas and thoughts were brilliant and the others hmm how do i put it, not so brilliant. Anyway it’s a good read.[/tscii:c147e2f04d]

atomhouse
5th October 2006, 08:20 AM
Jus finished Dan Brown's 'Deception point', typical hollywood fare :(

SenorJalapeno
6th October 2006, 10:27 PM
Just finished reading 'The Wisdom of the Crowds' by James Surowiecki. Interesting read. Changed the way I perceive crowds.

RVG
7th October 2006, 12:58 AM
I read Dan Brown's 'Da Vinci Code' and this is my 3rd read of the novel.

chevy
9th October 2006, 02:11 PM
i m re readin my all time favorite. .. if tomorrw comes by sidney sheldon ..

swathi_05
11th October 2006, 11:47 AM
Hi,

i am reading virginia andrews books right now.... finished casteel, laundry and cutler series.... all series has the same background story... even then few of her books takes u into a fantasy world... i just loved the character of troy tattersson in casteel series...

:D

crazy
11th October 2006, 12:58 PM
Reading: Name of the rose by Eco :)

finished reading :)

crazy
13th October 2006, 03:39 PM
Finished reading "The Prophet"............... :thumbsup:

ramky
13th October 2006, 05:49 PM
Vaasi : is it the one by Khalil Gibran ? i glanced through it once, but have not read it fully. :)

crazy
13th October 2006, 09:14 PM
Vaasi : is it the one by Khalil Gibran ? i glanced through it once, but have not read it fully. :)

aama ramky :) ...........a very good book, just finished in 1 hour.............so beautiful words..........

ramky try reading it, when u got time...........sure u will like it :)

ramky
13th October 2006, 11:25 PM
Vaasi : ya, i will try to get a copy and read it once my project gets completed :).

crazy
14th October 2006, 12:21 PM
Vaasi : ya, i will try to get a copy and read it once my project gets completed :).

good :)

crazy
23rd October 2006, 10:05 PM
Reading: Atlas shrugged - Ayn Rand :roll:

sangeetha_me
25th October 2006, 02:23 AM
Reading "Deception Point" by Dan Brown. Dont see anything special in it though..as someone rightly mentioned before ( I think Atomhouse mentioned it)..typical Hollywood stuff !

bingleguy
25th October 2006, 03:17 AM
Deception Point :-)

Anti-matter ... Very interesting :-) u just need to have a good imaginative power :-) u ll really feel amazing :-) Sangeetha !

Am planning to read some SCARY BOOKS ... halloween is coming ;-)

crazy
25th October 2006, 12:02 PM
Reading "Deception Point" by Dan Brown. Dont see anything special in it though..as someone rightly mentioned before ( I think Atomhouse mentioned it)..typical Hollywood stuff !

agree...............

sangeetha_me
27th October 2006, 05:30 AM
Has anyone read 'Shantaram' by Gregory David Roberts? How is it?

sangeetha_me
27th October 2006, 05:34 AM
Hey Bingleguy..yeah..may be u r right..iam thro half of the book.. by the time I finish may be I wud find it interesting.

Have any of you read his earlier book "187 men to avoid"? I guess he wrote it as Danielle Brown and its a non-fiction I heard.

P_R
27th October 2006, 07:08 AM
Curiosly there is a lot of activity in this thread and virtually nothing in the reviews thread. Some of you voracious readers should try and right more elaborate reviewers. Am sure the authors deserve it, it would be a great for the rest of us of course and it would sure be an insightful experience for the reviewers. Anyone up to it ?

a.ratchasi
30th October 2006, 02:50 PM
As much as I would love to do a review, Prabhu Ram, I am guilty on two accounts:1)lack of time 2)getting carried away and revealing too much.

This leaves me with only one option- name the book & author. Moreover, it gives me the pleasure of at least sharing (and making aware) the list of books which I find interesting.

Like this one below :D :
The Rice Mother by Rani Manicka.

sangeetha_me
30th October 2006, 07:40 PM
Hmmm....okay will try my best to give a review..

Just started "Let me whisper in your ear" by Mary Jane Clark.

pamrang
1st November 2006, 11:17 PM
Deception Point :-)

Anti-matter ... Very interesting :-) u just need to have a good imaginative power :-) u ll really feel amazing :-) Sangeetha !

Am planning to read some SCARY BOOKS ... halloween is coming ;-)

Isn't 'anti-matter' stuff in Angels and Demons? I think Deception point is the one with NASA, the alien rock etc....

sangeetha_me
2nd November 2006, 12:58 AM
yupp..this is to do with NASA and the ocean rock confused for a meteorite.

Iam waiting for the next book of his..THE SOLOMON KEY..sequil to Da Vinci Code.. I did read somewhere that it would be something abt Free Masons and the Founding fathers of the US..If its going to be on the same lines as Angels and Demons..then I guess it wud get boring soon ! Atleast for me !

crazy
2nd November 2006, 01:02 AM
yupp..this is to do with NASA and the ocean rock confused for a meteorite.

Iam waiting for the next book of his..THE SOLOMON KEY..sequil to Da Vinci Code.. I did read somewhere that it would be something abt Free Masons and the Founding fathers of the US..If its going to be on the same lines as Angels and Demons..then I guess it wud get boring soon ! Atleast for me !

oh he is writing a new book :)
hopes its good!

pamrang
3rd November 2006, 11:38 PM
I heard 'solomon key' is going to be out in 2007; and, it features Robert Langdon but, it may not have anything to do with religion like Angels and Demons and Da Vinci code......

sangeetha_me
4th November 2006, 02:09 AM
oh okay. Yupp..Robert Langdon and some conspiracy. Should be out by Jan 2007 I guess and then a couple of months for it to get to the public libraries..

sangeetha_me
7th November 2006, 08:58 PM
Just finished "Two little girls in blue" by Mary Higgins Clark.

Planning to start "Toxic Bachelors" by Danielle Steele

NM
8th November 2006, 03:31 AM
sangeetha...is Toxic bachelors a new book by DS?

sangeetha_me
8th November 2006, 04:19 AM
Hi NM !

Yupp..it is..came out in 2005

sangeetha_me
11th November 2006, 11:42 PM
Just started "State of fear" by Michael Crichton

crazy
12th November 2006, 01:55 PM
Finished reading "Atlas shrugged"....................... :roll: :? :)

SenorJalapeno
13th November 2006, 01:07 AM
Read 'An Innocent Man' by John Grisham. Not as exciting as any of his books, especially since this is non-fiction. However, if you love Grisham's work, you cannot afford to miss this one. Having said that, I wish Grisham would go back to writing his courtroom thrillers.

a.ratchasi
13th November 2006, 12:40 PM
Holy Cow! An Indian adventure by Sarah Macdonald
Touching Earth by Rani Manicka

chevy
14th November 2006, 06:36 PM
NO THING IS LIKE ... collected stories of southern african women writers

Alan
15th November 2006, 07:44 AM
I need to get back to reading!!!!!! The last book I read was in 2005!!!! A year ago and I think it was Memoirs of a geisha.

chevy
15th November 2006, 02:16 PM
I need to get back to reading!!!!!! The last book I read was in 2005!!!! A year ago and I think it was Memoirs of a geisha. i posted my review on it .. in the memoirs of geisha thread..

crazy
15th November 2006, 06:12 PM
Reading "Snow" by Orhan Pamuk :)

thamizhvaanan
15th November 2006, 06:15 PM
Finished reading "Atlas shrugged"....................... :roll: :? :) vaasi, check out "Ayn rand's Fountainhead" thread... there are some discussions on Atlas shrugged too :D

crazy
16th November 2006, 01:45 PM
Finished reading "Atlas shrugged"....................... :roll: :? :) vaasi, check out "Ayn rand's Fountainhead" thread... there are some discussions on Atlas shrugged too :D

okie :)

sangeetha_me
16th November 2006, 11:02 PM
Just finished "State of Fear" by Michael Chrichton. Good one ! Has changed my opinion abt global warming !!

Planning to start "False Impression" by Jeffrey Archer.

chevy
16th November 2006, 11:36 PM
family matters by rohinton mistry

Wibha
22nd November 2006, 10:50 AM
The Vendor Of Sweets R.K Narayan
Tell Me Your Dreams .Sidney Sheldon

sangeetha_me
22nd November 2006, 01:26 PM
My last book was "False Impression" by Jeffrey Archer. A good one.

No more books for me for another 4 months..iam going to india..can start only after i get back.

crazy
25th November 2006, 04:41 PM
Reading "Snow" by Orhan Pamuk :)

Finished reading "Snow" and
"The mermaid chair" by Sue Monk Kidd

podalangai
26th November 2006, 10:40 PM
Just finished reading "Ah, But Your Land Is Beautiful" by Alan Paton. It describes South Africa and different groups of South Africans in the 1960s, when apartheid was just emerging. The book captures how different people reacted to the policy at a time when nobody yet knew exactly how deeply it was going to transform the country and its people. I found his description of how some people who seem so ordinary supported it thought-provoking, and the impact it has on the lives of some of the main characters is quite moving.

I don't think the book will be to everyone's tastes, but I liked it very much.

chevy
26th November 2006, 10:57 PM
currently .. harry potter and the half blood prince ... and the english teacher by R k narayan

Wibha
27th November 2006, 12:03 AM
currently .. harry potter and the half blood prince ... and the english teacher by R k narayan

both r exxcecellent bookss

atomhouse
28th November 2006, 03:26 PM
Jus finishd 'The curious incident of the dog in the night-time' by Mark Hudson....reminded meof 'Catcher in the Rye', but this is different..

chevy
28th November 2006, 04:14 PM
almsst finishin harry potter ..
going to start an erich segal

sundararaj
2nd December 2006, 03:33 PM
Just finished the DVC.

chevy
2nd December 2006, 03:58 PM
I JUST FINISHED THIS REALLY GOOD BOOK:

the guy next door BY meggin Cabbot...

it's isn't the type Classic readers or even Grisham fans would like. It's just another giggly, funny book by the writer of teh Princess Diaries.

The whole novel is written as Email Coverstations Between People....

VENKIRAJA
2nd December 2006, 04:21 PM
DVC over,now bourne identity.

sundararaj
10th December 2006, 03:42 PM
Now thinking of Angels and Demones. :D

snrajan
13th December 2006, 03:35 PM
what is it about the book"The secret life of bees" by Sue monk kidd, is is spiritual or some thing similar

snrajan
13th December 2006, 03:47 PM
If any one can get to read Catch-22, excellent book, you will go on laughing, I read it long back still remember some of the jokes.

crazy
13th December 2006, 06:54 PM
what is it about the book"The secret life of bees" by Sue monk kidd, is is spiritual or some thing similar

its a very beautiful book, i enjoyed reading it :)
its about 4 women and a girl..............it isnt spiritual, but :roll:

Sinthiya
16th December 2006, 09:04 AM
Finally finished reading 'Daughter of God' after :roll: many months....:oops:

It's a story of an art collector and her husband in search of a secret about Sophie, the Messiah......

First half was somewhat slow, but interesting because of the history of art collection during WWII and where the art pieces were stored for protection :o....

Second half was very fast paced and I read it in few days! Very intriguing...

:)

crazy
16th December 2006, 05:48 PM
[tscii:5ec1262c55]Finished reading: The white castle by Orhan pamuk
and "The House with the Blind Glass Porch" by Herbjørg wassmo.

Reading: Trilogy ("All the pretty horses", "The crossing" and "Cities of the plain" by Cormac McCarthy[/tscii:5ec1262c55]

podalangai
17th December 2006, 01:33 AM
Finished "Ah, but your land is beautiful"

Now reading "The bleaching yard" by Tarjei Vesaas.

Sinthiya
20th December 2006, 08:29 AM
The World We Want by Mark Kingwell...just started...

Wibha
20th December 2006, 08:30 AM
m reading JULIUS Ceaser

got done with MACBETH

Sinthiya
20th December 2006, 08:32 AM
got done with MACBETH
what did u think of Macbeth? :shock: ....
for me, it was scary... :shaking: ...

Wibha
20th December 2006, 08:34 AM
it was ok and it didn't scare me as it was for my ENGLISH CLASS :( but DAMN boringgggggggggggggggggggggggg......

julius is much better....

Sinthiya
20th December 2006, 08:38 AM
it was ok and it didn't scare me as it was for my ENGLISH CLASS :( but DAMN boringgggggggggggggggggggggggg......

julius is much better....
julius is better for sure...but never studied that play in school...

i studied MacBeth :shaking:...then, i did not like it, especially seeing the movie version :oops: ...too scary!

now i'm over it :P :lol: ...

shalitha
26th December 2006, 05:45 AM
got done with MACBETH
what did u think of Macbeth? :shock: ....
for me, it was scary... :shaking: ...

:omg: Macbeth ... v v scary... :frightened: i watchd the movie too... :cry:

crazy
28th December 2006, 02:34 PM
Finished reading: The history of life - Nicole Krauss
Reading: Until I find You - John Irving :)

crazy
2nd January 2007, 03:04 PM
Finished reading: Until I find You. Worth reading

Reading: My name is red - Orhan Pamuk :)

sm maddy
3rd January 2007, 03:20 PM
Finished reading : Henry IV - Damn borrrrrriiiinnnnnggggg

Wibha
4th January 2007, 06:05 AM
"Vendor of Sweets" - R.K.Narayan

TOO GOOD...........He's written what happens in the true world :thumbsup:

crazy
6th January 2007, 05:29 PM
Finished reading: The color of red - Orhan Pamuk

Reading: Shalimar the clown - Salman Rushdie

Wibha
11th January 2007, 09:37 AM
"Naughtiest girl in School" By Enid Blyton

damn goooooooooodddddddd :redjump:

crazy
11th January 2007, 01:02 PM
Finished reading: Shalimar the clown- Salman Rushdie

a.ratchasi
4th March 2007, 10:22 PM
My Best Friend's Girl by Dorothy Koomson
After going separate ways, two friends would reunite temporarily only when one of them is dying and wants the other to take care of her child who was conceived through a one night stand with the latter's fiance.

Charlaine Harris' Stookie Stackhouse vampire series, where the shapeshifters, warewolves, vampires and other mythical beings come to alive

Sidney Sheldon's Are you afraid of the dark? :clap:

Querida
6th March 2007, 06:55 AM
Well hopefully this is not a biased recommendation but lately I have been reading a slew of Douglas Coupland novels...I have a class that is based on his works...yet this is the very first class where I am sailing through the readings...because it's so well written and manages to each and everytime cause me to have that delightful recognition of quirky cultural references and phenoms...anyways so far my favourite has been "Generation X", "All Families are Psychotic" and "Hey Nostradamus!"

podalangai
6th March 2007, 05:32 PM
I'm currently reading Graham Greene's "Heart of the Matter." I used to like him a lot when I was younger, but I've hardly read anything by him since I finished college. I started this many months back, but put it down for some reason. I'm quite enjoying it now that I've restarted reading it.

Wibha
7th March 2007, 08:56 AM
i read da play "She stoops to Conquer"

a nice comedy

podalangai
8th March 2007, 05:21 PM
[tscii:094d0f1acd]Finished "Heart of the matter"

Now about to start reading "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I had got half-way through it earlier in Norwegian, but I'm starting from the beginning with an English translation.[/tscii:094d0f1acd]

crazy
8th March 2007, 05:48 PM
[tscii:ce066345c3]Finished "Heart of the matter"

Now about to start reading "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I had got half-way through it earlier in Norwegian, but I'm starting from the beginning with an English translation.[/tscii:ce066345c3]

anna
jeg leste den på norsk i fjor tror meg :)
very good book :)

podalangai
13th March 2007, 03:29 AM
Finished "The Shadow of the Wind". The English translation is much better than the Norwegian one. :)

Coming up next: "The Cloven Viscount" by Italo Calvino, to be followed by the other books in the trilogy.

Tia
16th March 2007, 02:38 AM
Role of Thunder, Hear My Cry....!

I'm actually crying my eyes out i just finished reading the end of the book :cry2:

To Kill a Mockingbird! ITS AN AMAZING BOOK! :shock:

Surya
16th March 2007, 04:50 AM
Ahh..yes! I remember being Deeply effected by the book days after I finished it in 8th Grade. :) It is! :thumbsup:

sangeetha_me
4th May 2007, 11:28 PM
Bitten and Smitten by Richard Owen

crazy
4th May 2007, 11:31 PM
Reading "A prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving.

So far, good :)

podalangai
4th May 2007, 11:48 PM
Momo, by Michael Ende :)

sangeetha_me
12th May 2007, 02:16 AM
Just finished:

"In the blood" by Don Donaldson
"The Undomestic Goddess" by Sophie Kinsella

Started reading "The Christmas Train" by David Baldacci

Querida
12th May 2007, 06:10 AM
"Tiger Claw" - Shauna Singh Baldwin

"The Brick Lane"- Monica Ali

"Guns, Germs and Steel" - Jared Diamond

sangeetha_me
17th May 2007, 11:58 PM
Just finished "The Christmas Train" by David Baldacci and "Next" by Michael Crichton.

Wibha
23rd May 2007, 06:56 AM
how psychic are you :D

crazy
10th June 2007, 02:56 PM
Reading "A prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving.

So far, good :)

Happaadiyo.....at last finished reading :)

A very very very very .....touchy book :(

John Irving :notworthy:

All You Need Is Love and Some Faith :yes:

Suguna Kannan
26th June 2007, 09:16 PM
Just finished the series by Robin Sharma of "The Monk Who sold his Ferrari " fame. All the books are interesting and quite practical and relevant to our conditions but the best is "Who will cry when you die?"

Querida
26th June 2007, 11:05 PM
have taken up reading novels again

Have read a humourous if not randy book about A britisher's stint in Paris: The title quite outrageously reads "The Year in Merde" (Merde = excrement) by Stephen Clarke

As always I'm a avid reader of Indian authors of english have a whopper of a book to delightedly breeze through: "Sacred Games" by Vikram Chandra....have high expectations for this book

on the list of hopeful reads:
the new BADAMI book: Can You Hear the Nightbird Call?
and maybe this new buzz around Afghani author, Khaled Hosseini will be checked out: kite runner, a thousand splendid suns.

Sinthiya
14th July 2007, 08:04 AM
...just started reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho...and i'm so sorry that i had not read this book long back...

simply astounding to read - simple yet powerful words...almost done...:)

P_R
14th July 2007, 04:18 PM
As always I'm a avid reader of Indian authors of english have a whopper of a book to delightedly breeze through: "Sacred Games" by Vikram Chandra....have high expectations for this boo Am actually a bit prejudiced against this breed, but I hear this guy is pretty good. Do let us know how it goes.

Madh@va
31st July 2007, 08:21 AM
Can anyone who has read God of Small Things assist me in understanding that book?

I have become a fan of Amy Tan, by the way, having read her The Kitchen God's Wife.

Madh@va
6th August 2007, 01:31 PM
My latest read, Confessions of an Old Boy-The Dato' Hamid Adventures by Kam Raslan. Simply hilarious.

crazy
6th August 2007, 01:55 PM
Can anyone who has read God of Small Things assist me in understanding that book?

Read that book ...last summer :?
To be honest, I didnt get that very last part of that novel :oops:

Madh@va
6th August 2007, 03:36 PM

Read that book ...last summer :?
To be honest, I didnt get that very last part of that novel :oops:

Neither did a group of us.
Of the lot, I made the most progress-read upto 3/4 of the book (while following the story). One dedicated member read it twice only to have herself confused even further. :roll:

crazy
6th August 2007, 07:16 PM
maybe i should re-read it :) or ask the one who recommended this novel :?

Madh@va
21st August 2007, 02:34 PM
maybe i should re-read it :) or ask the one who recommended this novel :?

I got back my book from a colleague and decided to visit the remaining 1/4 of the book. Miracle of miracles, I got what she wanted to say. Sadly, her style of writing and prose (purple prose??) was just too much to handle in the beginning. As an afterthought, perhaps it was her style that got her the Booker prize afterall. :) I guess one must let her style grow on you at its own pace. It is definitely not one of those books which could be read fast. If you do, then the story will be lost.

So what do I think of God of Small Things now: Good!

crazy
11th September 2007, 11:14 PM
AR akka: I read too fast, I guess.... :oops:

Finished reading : The children of men by P.D. James

chevy
11th September 2007, 11:37 PM
A twist in the Tale - Jeff Arch

crazy
30th September 2007, 04:48 PM
[tscii:8c343e5a8b]Finished reading : Growth of the soil (markens grøde) by Knut Hamsun :? [/tscii:8c343e5a8b]

Madh@va
1st October 2007, 02:21 PM
AR akka: I read too fast, I guess.... :oops:

Finished reading : The children of men by P.D. James

So do I, crazy! :oops: :D

crazy
1st October 2007, 02:48 PM
read "the kite runner" for some weeks ago :thumbsup:

AR akka :)

chevy
1st October 2007, 03:17 PM
mother --by maxim gorky

podalangai
11th October 2007, 10:38 PM
Just finished reading "L" by Erlend Loe. A lovely little book. :)

About to start reading The Wreath (Kransen) by Sigrid Undset, part 1 of the "Kristin Lavransdatter" trilogy.

crazy
13th October 2007, 06:33 PM
Don Quixote de la mancha by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Madh@va
16th October 2007, 01:02 PM
The Sky is Falling by Sidney Sheldon.

Don Quixote; :thumbsup: Crazy!

Madh@va
17th October 2007, 01:11 PM
The Dark Room (dark tale indeed) and Swami & Friends by RKN.

crazy
17th October 2007, 01:16 PM
Finished reading "All the pretty horses" and "The crossing" - Cormac McCarthy :)