PDA

View Full Version : After Kannadasan Who ??

S.Balaji
21st July 2005, 10:56 PM
Dear Friends,

Wish to intitate discussion on this topic.

Valee , Vairamuthu, etc etc

njv
22nd July 2005, 12:04 AM
After kannadasan, its definitely Valee.

The beauty about Valee is that you can call him

After Kannadasan
After Vairamuthy
After Pa Vijay

The reason is he has done what Kannadasan has done (specially MGR thathuva paadalgal) he has done what Vairamuthu has done (pure poetic tamil), he has done what Pa Vijay has done (simple but yet meaningful tamil). More over he can do what he is best at, mix and match. If ARR and Surya is inviting him to write lyrics for New and Aa Aah, that simply shows what an unimaginable imagination he must have.

S.Balaji
22nd July 2005, 12:12 AM
NJV,

Point taken.

Valee's strengths are - He can address all types of songs.

Thin line of difference between Kannadasan and Valee . KD had given thought provoking songs. Valee also had given through MGR.

Valee had variety.

Not sure about Vairamuthu. He is very poetic

sss
22nd July 2005, 12:13 AM
After Kannadasan .... kannadasan than
no body will match him....

S.Balaji
22nd July 2005, 12:17 AM
After Kannadasan .... kannadasan than
no body will match him....

Lets debate , lets explore.

Valee and Vairamuthu come close to the seat after Kannadasan.

Valee had been in the industry for more than 30 years now. Amazing as he has stood the test of times.

VM is also equally good in his own way.

But, I dont see anybody after these 2 guys worth noting

saradhaa_sn
22nd July 2005, 11:24 AM
No doubt....it is Valee, Valee and Valee only. I am telling for somany reasons:

He is surviving for more than 44 years, without any 'sarukkal' (he entered in 1962. Karpagam (1963) and Padakotti (1964) brought him to bright light). No any lyric writer survive this much long period (including Kannadasan).

As 'njv' said, he is possessing the stuffness of Kannadasan, Vairamuthu, Pa.Vijay and others. He can write for MGR & Shivaji films and also for the present youngsters taste (example: Boys).

Once (about 1968) a press reporter interviewing Kannadasan and asked him "Which of your latest songs, you are hearing often with interest?". Kannadasan replied, "Yes I am hearing a latest song often, but it was not written by me. It was written by Valee. It is none other than "maadahavi pon mayilaal... thogai viriththaal" from Iru Malargal. How nice Valee has written". Kannadasan admired with open hearted.

rajeshkrv
22nd July 2005, 12:24 PM
vaali is uncomparable to any of these day singers including vairamuthu(who is most of the times recycles his own song or includes Poetic lines)

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=1449&start=0

you can read and enjoy gems of vaali in the above page

will update the page more in coming days

thanks

raj

S.Balaji
22nd July 2005, 12:46 PM
Valee has high sense of humour.

Once one press man asked him

Mettuketha paatu or paatuketha mettu

Valee promptly said - DHUDUKETHA PAATU !!!

Thats valee for you !!!

MADDY
22nd July 2005, 02:12 PM
"After Kannadasan Who ??"

definitely saidapeta shankaru....enna thathuvama pozhiyuvaru theriyuma????shuld i call him into this discussion so that he can display his prowess???? :lol:

hey jokes apart...even i'll go for valee......wat vairamuthu struggles to convey valee conveys it with ease......and he seems to grow younger with age.......listen to maro maro(boys).....gr8 man...just like javed saab in Hindi........

S.Balaji
22nd July 2005, 03:06 PM
Valee has multiple faces - he can write love songs, sentimental songs, kolgai parappu songs for MGR, songs like Raja kayya vecha also etc etc

VM is somewhat serious character and a core subject oriented guy.

S.Balaji
23rd July 2005, 05:29 PM
There were other guys like :

Pulamaipithan
Panju arunachalam
Na Kamarasan
Mu Metha

But we could not think of anybody other than Valee or Vairamuthu

Why why why ???

Jacky
23rd July 2005, 06:31 PM
VM is rich in his imaginations!
"Pal mazhai ku kathirum boomiyallava, Pandikai ku kathirukum Sami allava".
"Kodi keethanamum, Kavi kortha varthaikalum thuli kanner pol artham tharumo".
Valee (from the little I've heard) is simple and to the point.
I like VM for his poetical richness.

S.Balaji
23rd July 2005, 06:37 PM
VMs famous ones :

1. manidha manidha eni un vizigal
2. Pon maalai pozudhu - especially kelvigalal velvigalai naan seiven
3. andhi mazai pozigiradhu
4. raasavay varuthamaa - it was a befitting song for Shivaji

one of the words - Aagayam surungumaa , suriyan karukkumaa

Nobodyelse would have given such a wording for Shivaji . Just took him to the highest level in a few words.
Thats the pen strength of VM

saradhaa_sn
23rd July 2005, 07:32 PM
Once, when Music Dorector V.Kumar, Lyric Writer Vaalee, Director KB were sitting for a duet song composition for the moveis "Ethir Neechal".

At that time V.Kumar was talking about the Kannadasan's famous song with word play (vaarththai jaalangal) in Veera Abimanyu the well known song:

"Paarthen...sirithen...pakkam vara thudiththen
Unai then ena naan ninaithen... andha malaithen
idhuven malaithen".

V.Kumar told Valee, "we should compose a song like that. As a challenge I am asking you to give a pallavi end with "Kall" but should not mention the actual "Kall" (a kind of arrack), and also end with "Then" but should not mention actually "then"(honey). Come on write a pallavi like that".

Vaalee was thinking for few minutes, then told his assistant to note down the song:

Thaamarai kannan'gal
Thenmalar kinnan'gal
Eththanai vannan'gal - muththamaai sindhumbothu
Pongidem ennan'gal

Maalaiyil sandhith'then
Maiyalil sindhith'then
Mangai naan kandith'then - kaadhalan theendumpodhu
Kaigalai mannith'then.

No doubt Vaalee is really great...........

S.Balaji
23rd July 2005, 07:36 PM
You know,

Andha naal gnabam nenjilay vandhathey - was written by Valee only !!

Again, in nizalgal - Madai thiranthu thaavum nadhialai naan

By valee only

S.Balaji
24th July 2005, 01:24 PM
Dear Sharadha,

I love the song - Edho yendham deivam from Babu

Especially the following words :

Pala nool padithu nee ariyum kalvi
Podhu nalan ninathu nee vazangum selvam
Pirar uyarvinilay unakirukkum inbam
Evai anaithilumay euppadhu dhan deivam

Beautifully framed. Wonderful song.

I just love it

Again in the same song ,

avan poo viriyum solailay manappan
Isai poonguyilin then kuralil inippan
Kulir maygamena daagathayay thanippan

etc etc

In a small song, he summarises what is Godliness and where God exists. Wonderful thinking by Valee

S.Balaji
24th July 2005, 01:29 PM
Hello Sharadha,

By the way, you have an indepth info on Valee and Shivaji. Hats off. Keep it up

I was thinking high about Shivaji and Valee. I admit now that there is another competitor for me !!

S.Balaji
24th July 2005, 03:14 PM
Dear Sharadhaji,

What you had expressed will be in the hearts of ALL THOSE WHO WERE A WITNESS DURING THAT GOLDEN PERIOD OF :

BARATHIRAJA, BALUMAHENDA, MAHENDRAN, BAGYARAJ

ASSOCIATED WITH ILAYARAJA , VAIRAMUTHU.

THE CREATIVITY , THE SENSE OF IMAGINATION, THE TREND SETTING VISION , THE MESSAGE THEY DELIVERED DURING THOSE YEARS.

THE GOLDEN PERIOD WAS BETWEEN - 1975 AND 1983 AND NOT BEYOND THAT.

YES, I WAS ONE OF THOSE FORTUNATE GUYS TO PHYSICALLY WITNESS THE RISE AND GROWTH OF THOSE GREAT PERSONALITIES.

I MISS THEM VERY VERY MUCH .

YOU KNOW WHY, WHENEVER I COME ACROSS SUCH MOVIES OR SUCH SONGS, I IMMEDIATELY GO BACK BY 25 YEARS AND REMEMBER MY SCHOOL DAYS / COLLEGE DAYS AND FEEL ISOLATED.

IMMEDIATELY , MY WIFE WILL COME TO MY RESCUE SAYING THAT YES THOSE GOLDEN DAYS WILL NEVER COME AGAIN IN LIFE .

REALLY REALLY REALLY, I MISS THOSE GOLDEN PERIOD- NOT ONLY ME, ALL MY CLASS MATES AND THOSE PEER FRIENDS OF MY GENERATION MISS THOSE DAYS AGAIN.

YOU KNOW, I ARRANGED FOR A GATHERING OF ALL MY OLD FRIENDS 3 MONTHS BACK WHEN I WAS IN CHENNAI AND WE ALL COULD MEET AND EXCHANGE ALL OUR OLD THOUGHTS . IN FACT WE USED TO FIGHT ABOUT BR, IR, MSV, MAHENDRAN, BALUMAHENDRA, BAGYARAJ ETC ETC AND COMPARE WITH KB OR MSV OR KV MAHADEVAN BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY , WE USED TO GO BACK AS FRIENDS.

Yes, you are right. Everything is missing and lost in Tamil film industry.

Rarely I come across - good movies

Seldom I could hear - melodius songs

Yes yes I miss all those golden days.

Affectionately your brother from Uganda

S.Balaji

S.Balaji
24th July 2005, 03:29 PM
Anbulla Saradhaji,

If you see my initial threads , you will realise that I was in search of my old Golden IRs intial period songs - like :

1. Naan pesa vanthen , sollathan vaarthai illai
2. Devan thiruchabai malargalay
3. Kalangal
4. Pani vizum poo nilavay

You know the above are all composed by IR during the intial years ( i mean in the late 70s ) when he took every opportunity as a challenge and was proving all his critics wrong by composing memorable songs . I repeat memorable songs loaded with melodies.

Even the great IR subsequently changed his style and became a total instrumentalist in the mid 80s and in the process lost his melody.

Like this I can write a big history about BR and Mahendran

S.Balaji
24th July 2005, 03:40 PM
By the way,

Yaarai nambi naan porandhen pongada ponga - Shivaji / TMS from Enga uru Raaja

Who wrote that ??

Is it Valee or Kannadasan

S.Balaji
24th July 2005, 03:45 PM
By the way,

Yaarai nambi naan porandhen pongada ponga - Shivaji / TMS from Enga uru Raaja

Who wrote that ??

Is it Valee or Kannadasan

Hello saradhaji,

Quoting my own reference !!

I love those words :

Pettiyilay panamilay , petha pullay sondhamillay !!!

Paanayilay sorirundhaa , ponaigalum sondhamadaa !!!

Wonderful words . It must be Valee. He only can write sarcastically like that

S.Balaji
24th July 2005, 06:07 PM
Dear Balaji....

The song "Yaarai nambi naan porandhen" was written by Kannadasan.

Yes, I also like those lines and its situation.

Hello Saradhaji,

What a killer song it was. I wonder and amazed on how Kannadasan and Valee , also Pattukotai KS could pack their songs with so much values !!
Their greatest strength was to give powerful messages THROUGH SIMPLE WORDS .

I also love Sakka podu podu raaja , as you had listed in Baratha vilas . Its a nice song which Shivaji will chat with his manasatchiiii

Manisekaran
25th July 2005, 08:36 AM
Naan Nirantharamanavn Azhivathillai
Entha Nilailum Enakku Maranamillai
(Kannadasan Ratha Thilagam-1962)

Valee was looking for chances to write songs. Though he was starving, he decined an invitation from Kannadasan to work under him, all because Valee wanted to be independent. After much struggling he decided to return to Sri Rangam- heart broken. It was these lines that changed his heart to persevere:

Unakkum Keezhe Ullavar Kodi
Ninaithu Paarthu Nimmadi Naadu

In fact Valee's debut was the song "Konjidum Mangai Kumari Aanaal" (Film:Azhagar Malai Kalvan: Sung by PS: MD - Gobalan). He continued to struggle. He wrote here and there incinsisently, owing to few chances.

In 1964 owing to some misunderstanding with Kannadasan, MGR made an open statement that henceforth Valee would write for his films, at a time when Kannadasan was the main writer of his songs. Kannadasan too immediately responded by giving another satement that he would cease to write for MGR -starred films.

Then came Deivathaai (first of Sathya Studios production)and Saravana Screen's Padagotti where all songs were penned by Valee.

Following the success of these film songs, a special gathering was arranged to honour Valee. Kannadasan was invited to preside. Many poets overpraised Kannadasan, indicating that Valee was second to him. When Kannadasan spoke, he praised Valee and gave his own gold chain to Valee for the following lines:

"Velli nalave Vilakkai Eriyum
Kadalthaan Engal Veedu
Mudinthaal Mudiyum Thodarnthaal thodarum
ithuthaan engal Vaazkai-
Ithudaan engal Vaazhkai"

This came as a surprise to all present.

MGR used Valee to check Kannadasan. it is in history that more than anyone else it was MGR who paid keen attention to each and every line, nay words in the songs. Finally MGR too was pushed to realise that Kannadasan was simply incomparable. When Aayirathil Orivan was in the making, Valee could not bring out the peotic depth of Kannadasan. MGR, who was not in talking terms with Kannadasan phoned Kannadasan and summoned him to the studio where Valee and MGR were struggling to create the lyrics for a particular sitution. When Kannadasan turned up, within a fleeting moment, he wrote that great song in the presence of Valee. The song is

Odum Megangale Oru Sol Keleero
Aadum Manathinile Aaruthal Thaareero

MGR who was more than fully satisfied, requested him to complete all the other songs for the film, apart from those already written by Valee. Just listen to "Naanamo Innum Naanamo" and "Atho Antha paravai Pola vaazha Vendum"

Atho antha paravai tune is used as the national anthem in Vietnam.

KS Gobalakrishnan, who had counted on the strength of Kannadasan songs in his movies, threw a friendly challenge upon Kannadasan and used Valee in Karpagam. Kannadasan appreciated "0Pakkathu veettu paruva machaan" song lines. However, in his next movie, Gobalakrishnan came back to using Kannadasan for reasons only KSG could explain.

In the mid 1960s the Tamilnadu song fans were rather confused as they quoted Kannadasan for songs by Valee and vice versa in a few cases. That was because among the contemporaries then, it was only Valee who could go closest to Kannadasan.

Valee's open statement was that Kannadasan was his poetic mentor. Valee again had made it very open that his greatest achievement in the cine field was to have gained accolades from Kannadasan.

A few others did come close to Kannadasan's peotic power, but that was only short- lived.

Valee is the closest, and perhaps next to Kannadasan, but he in no way replaces Kannadasan.

Manisekaran

multinamatheyan
25th July 2005, 10:05 AM
Manisekaran,

I quite enjoyed reading your post.

But everything you have said is before a guy named Vairamuthu was asked to write a song by Illayaraja and Bharathiraja.

The new kid Vairamuthtu wrote 'vaanam enakkoru bhothi maram. naalum athuvoru seethi tharum', which made even Kannadasan sit up and take notice.

The rest, as the cliche goes, is history.

Valee might have been the closest competitor for Kannadasan during his time-that's not a testtament of Valee's talent, but rather the lack of talent when compared to Kannadasan's during that time. But Valee can never replace Kannadasan or Vairamuthu. The only other cine-poet I hold in high regard is Pattukottai - sadly he died young.

All the others have written many good songs and some great songs. But that's it. Nothing comapred to Kannadasan and Vairamuthu who could turn a song for a stupid run of the mill cinema situation into a poetic gem.

AIMHO

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 10:55 AM
Dear Manisekharan,

Thank you for taking back by several years and giving us indepth study on the facts.

However, its very very difficult to identify which song is of Valee's and which one is Kannadasan's as both used the same style - very simple wording but catchy

saradhaa_sn
25th July 2005, 10:57 AM
Mr. Manisekaran...

There is no doubt 'Padakotti' (1964) songs brought valee to a bright light, by the way that it is a MGR film. But Valee's name was fame and his songs were talked by people before one year when Karpagam was released in 1963.

There is a real story narrated by K.S.Gopalakrishnan in Kumudham (weekly), how he brought Valee in Karpagam to write all four songs. Before 'Karpagam' KSG gave a big hit movie 'Saradha'. In 100th day function of saradha, Kannadasan mentioned that the victory of Saradha is because of his songs only. KSG got angry on KD and decided to give a hit movie without KD's songs. He told MSV to suggest a lyric writer for his next movie Karpagam. MSV, eventhough best friend of Kannadasan, introdced Valee to KSG. On hearing the first song Valee wrote (aayiram iravugal varuvadhundu), KSG told Valee to write all songs for Karpagam.

"Karpagam" became great hit and run more than 100 days in several cities in TN. Then Kannadasan met KSG in a studio and appreciated him, "You proved that you can give a bit hit wihout my songs. Good. For your next film "Siththi" I will write all the songs". All songs of Kannadasan in 'Siththi' was also became famous among people.

After Valee joined with MGR and how he grew was a well known history.

rajeshkrv
25th July 2005, 11:13 AM
Vaali's first hit song was Sirikindral indru sirikindral from Nallavan vaazhvan

Music was by T.R.Paappa..

he raised to stardom from karpagam and then padagotti and then never looked back..

Name a situation and Vaali has a song for that.. that's the skill of vaali..

Saradha, balaji and others do read Gems of kavingar vaali thread and post your comments there too

regards

raj

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 11:17 AM
Raathiriyil poothirukkum thaamarai than pennoo

Beautiful song from Valee .

Valee is capable of writing such songs as well

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 11:24 AM
yov idhu enna chat foruma illa discussion foruma??? :D neenga rendu paer mattum pesikittuirukinga????

hey nice posting both of u.....but one thing i found very hurting is u guys think 1983(the year i was born) was the end of creativity in Tamil cinema???? no i wud like to object to this.......
then wat abt Nayagan which came after that????
wat abt Roja which identified a true villain in pakistani terrorists to whole Indian cinema????
wat abt entry of ARRahman, the best Asian composer of our times (as claimed by Mumbai mirror paper)
wat abt entry of selvaraghavan/bala with their hard-hitting natural movies

see u guys grew up watching BR,IR,Mahendran so u think they r the best but for me MR,ARR,Shankar,Selvaraghavan r THE people......so pls dunt generalise things saying 1980 is the only decade where intelligent ppl. lived....... :(

i thought i had to reply cos i felt it was my era of stars getting insulted......
8)

Dear Maddy,

Me and Sharadhajiii are not old enough yet !!!

What we are concerned is the lack of quality and commitment to the job

Yes, Maniratnam was the last of the previous list of greats and he only did the movie - Nayagan.
The same MR only did Roja also . MR is the last of the previous list of greats

The only guy whom I feel is doing a good job is - CHERAN

I loved his Autograph and Pandavar Boomi and also vetrikodi kattu.

Quite a thinking director.

rajeshkrv
25th July 2005, 11:30 AM
rathiriyil poothirukkum was by pulamai pithan

Manisekaran
25th July 2005, 12:19 PM
Saradha and Rejeshkrv

Thank you so much. There is also a write up by Mahendraraj on Kannadasan which throws more light on the matter that we are discussing. That article mentons about the KCG epsiode as well.

Valee was challenged by MSV to compose a good song and he was willing to give away his wrist watch should Valee win.
Valee composed the song "Kaatru Vanga Ponen Oru Kavithai vangi Vanthen" in Kalankarai Vilakkam, and MSV immediately commented that Valee had already dwarfed Kannadasan (by that one song!)

According to Valee, KVM did not have a liking for his lyrics untill he wrote Azhagu Deivam Mella Mella in Pesum Deivam. This song is even today praised by Vairamuthu.

The book that we have to read are the various articles by Kannadasan and of course "Naanum Intha Nootraandum" by Valee. That is one of the best books I have read. He has employed a unique prose style, quite unparallelled.

"Sirkkinraal Inru Sirikkinraal is the first song of MGR for Valee. Aringar Anna went through and corrected the lines to depict DMK thinking:

F: Uthaya Sooriyan Arugil Ierunthaal Ulla Thamarai malaratho
M: Ethayum thaangum Idayam Irunthaal Irunda pozhuthum pularatho...

Pattokkottai Kalyana Sundram and Kannadasan were certainly involved in competition- but fortunately healthy competition. There were times when Pattukkottaiyar had requested the producers to use Kannadasan for some songs and likewise, Kannadasan had urged the producers to use Pattukkottaiyar for some other situations. Mahadevi, Bagappirivinai and Thangapathumai are among such movies.

No one had ever defended Kannadasan as did Pattukkottaiyaar. In one incident, Kannadasan was vehemently condemned by a stranger, in the presence of Pattukkottaiyar and Kannadasan. Pattukkottai Kalyanasundram was furious. He immediately wrapped his towel around the neck of that person and shouted "Karuvaattukkariyin Maganukku Kavithayin Arumai Enge theriyapogirathu" That mutual repect and feeling is much lacking these days.

"Men Makkal Enrum men Makkalthaan."

Vanakkam

Manisekaran

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 12:24 PM
Hello friends,

Who wrote songs for - Kai kodutha deivam

I love the song - Aayirathil oruthiyamma nee

saradhaa_sn
25th July 2005, 12:37 PM
Hello friends,

Balaji..

All songs in 'Kaikodutha Dheivam' by Kannadasan, except one by Bharathiyar (Sindhu nadhiyin misai)

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 01:10 PM
Hello friends,

Balaji..

All songs in 'Kaikodutha Dheivam' by Kannadasan, except one by Bharathiyar (Sindhu nadhiyin misai)

Thank you Saradhaji. What a song it was

Penodu thonri penodu vaanzthum , penn manadhu ennavenru puriyavillayoo.

Kann enna kanoo , nenjenna nenjo , Kalangam solbavarku ullam illayoo.

Dear Madddy,

This is what precisely we are all missing now. Punch on the words and lyrics.

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 01:50 PM
Kannan oru kai kuzandhai - I think was written by Valee only

IR must thank Valee for writing a lovely song for him as this was his first movie .

7 pirappum inanindhirukkum sondhamindha sondhamamma

Vazvirukkum naal varaikkum , Thanjam undhan nenjamammaa.

Gayathri mandirathai ucharikkum bakthanamma ( incidentally, Ranichandra's name was Gayathri in Badrakali ). Thats Valee's presence of mind

I think the same valee also wrote - Raja kayya vecha athu wronga ponadhillay . This is in praise of IR only !!!

Raja raja rajadhi rajan indha raaja - Who wrote it ? is it valee or Gangai ?

rajeshkrv
25th July 2005, 01:53 PM
balaji,

IR's first film was annakili, badhrakali followed annaakili

KAnnan oru kai kuzhandhai - was the first Vaali's song for IR..

a beautiful song by KJY & P.Suseela

Raja rajadhi rajan from Agni natchathiram was by vaali

All songs from agninatchathiram wasby vaali

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 01:56 PM
balaji,

IR's first film was annakili, badhrakali followed annaakili

KAnnan oru kai kuzhandhai - was the first Vaali's song for IR..

a beautiful song by KJY & P.Suseela

Raja rajadhi rajan from Agni natchathiram was by vaali

All songs from agninatchathiram wasby vaali

Dear Rajesh,

Thank you very much for your immediate feedback. I thought , Badrakali was the first assignment for IR but Annakili got released first before Badrakali ??? Is it true

I wonder whether Valee would have intentionally written those songs in praise of IR _ raja kayya vecha and raja rajadhi rajan indha raja

As valee is well known for his presence of mind

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 02:00 PM
Who wrote songs for Mouna ragam . The style resembles Valee's

Kaveriyaa , kaanal neera penmai undham nenjam

Mul vayliya mullai poovaa sollu konjam nillu

Poon thenay , nee thanay, sollil vaithai mullai

My God, this discussion is slowly moving towards Valee only

Dear Friends, I want more inputs about Vairamuthu also. He is another great guy

rajeshkrv
25th July 2005, 02:17 PM
All maniratnam movies for which IR scored music

before ROJA (Except Nayagan & pagal nilavu)

songs were by vaali

Agni natchathiram, Mouna ragam, Dalapathi,Anjali etc

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 03:52 PM
Vairamuthu's - Manitha manitha naalai un naalay ( roja ) is a nice song.

Again - Andhi mazai pozigirathu - Nice wordings

He is also equally good .

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 04:55 PM
Valee has good sense of humour and good acting skills as well.

He acted well in KBs best teleserial - Kayalavu manasu

saradhaa_sn
25th July 2005, 06:03 PM
Hello Balaji...
Valee first acted in KS's movie :"Poikkaal Kuthirai".

For his sence of humour I want to reproduce one matter, which already mentioned by Manisekaran in another thread:

When MGR started his "Ulagam Sutrum Vaaliban" movie, he told Valee (as a Joke): In this movie I will not give chance for you to write even single song. I will use only Kannadasan, Pulamaipitthan, Na.Kamarasan etc. But your name will not be there.

Valee replied: When the movie release, definitely my name will be there. Sure.

MGR asked: How?. If I did not give chance how your name will be there in the titel.

Valee replied: Your movie's name is "Ulagam Sutrum 'VAALI'ban". So already my name is there in the title.

(MGR was laughiing for a long time).

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 06:25 PM
Hello Balaji...
Valee first acted in KS's movie :"Poikkaal Kuthirai".

For his sence of humour I want to reproduce one matter, which already mentioned by Manisekaran in another thread:

When MGR started his "Ulagam Sutrum Vaaliban" movie, he told Valee (as a Joke): In this movie I will not give chance for you to write even single song. I will use only Kannadasan, Pulamaipitthan, Na.Kamarasan etc. But your name will not be there.

Valee replied: When the movie release, definitely my name will be there. Sure.

MGR asked: How?. If I did not give chance how your name will be there in the titel.

Valee replied: Your movie's name is "Ulagam Sutrum 'VAALI'ban". So already my name is there in the title.

(MGR was laughiing for a long time).

You are right. Valee's first movie was PKG only.

I wonder why he is taking acting seriously. Definitely for his sense of humour, he would have become another MANIVANNAN.

Probably KB only spotted his talent and used / using him .

I could see Valee in KB's serial - Anni also

S.Balaji
26th July 2005, 08:47 PM
Valee has written some nice ones in Anandha vikatan - About ramayanam and also Mahabaratham.

I liked those simple version of Valee.

One's message should each the other person easily . Thats the success of his wording and Valee is well known for that.

Hats off to Valee

Vairamuthu's words at times are a bit too poetical and imaginative.

Like - Indiran thottathu mundiriyae , manmadha naatukku mandhiriyae

Ilavenil
27th July 2005, 06:39 AM
I wanted to clarify the question asked. Is it after Kanadasan- next to Kanadasan, replacing him or after Kannadasan- second in place after him?

I think Kannadasan's position will always be #1.

S.Balaji
27th July 2005, 10:54 AM
I wanted to clarify the question asked. Is it after Kanadasan- next to Kanadasan, replacing him or after Kannadasan- second in place after him?

I think Kannadasan's position will always be #1.

Dear Ilavenil,

The topic is very clear -

After Kannadasan who ???

Kannadasan is peerless and cant be equated with anybody.

It is after him , who can occupy the second position

S.Balaji
29th July 2005, 01:16 PM
I love the song - Punnagai mannan ,puvizi kannan rukmani kaaga- Eru kodugal .

I think its by Valee only. Lovely situation song. KB is known for inserting situation songs only earlier in his career. In the latter part of his career, he diluted his approach.

Lovely song this is. Jayanthi and Sowcar conveying their intentions on a good occasion - Navarathri. Each will try to outpace other and infact will try to remove some dolls and the another will insert another doll etc etc. At one stage, the song will stop and then Sowcar will plead to Jayanthi, pls sing

Excellent situation song - Is it Valee ???

The entire song had meaning and will compare Rama and krishna virtually .

coucou
29th July 2005, 02:49 PM
i like viramuthu,lyrics of shanthosham santhosham from youth, sattham illatha thanimai illai from amarkkalam. excellent lyrics, non?
but vairamuthu is not best in youthful songs, listen soudamani from arul.
vaali is old man but he can penned lyric for youth like boys or for adult like desam songs
so he is best after kannadasan

S.Balaji
29th July 2005, 02:59 PM
i like viramuthu,lyrics of shanthosham santhosham from youth, sattham illatha thanimai illai from amarkkalam. excellent lyrics, non?
but vairamuthu is not best in youthful songs, listen soudamani from arul.
vaali is old man but he can penned lyric for youth like boys or for adult like desam songs
so he is best after kannadasan

Hey what are you saying about VM,

VM is known for youthful songs :

1. Entire Alaigal oivadhillai
2. Kadal oviyam
3. Pudhumai penn
4. Vedam pudithu - Kannukkul nooru nilavaaaa - beautiful song
5. Nizalgal
6. Oru gunguma chengamalam - SPB and SJ - at their awesome best . Dont know the movie ??
7. Raja paarvai
8. Pudhu pudhu arthangal
9. Roja

etc etc.

VM is well known for youth in his songs.

Valee more youthful than VM

MADDY
1st August 2005, 08:56 PM
to me valee's Hei Hei ennachu unakku(kadhal virus) was his best youthful creation....this song tells u exactly wat a gurl looks for in a man...........i was stunned by this 75 yr-old's knowledge abt today's girl's mind..........u know, even poets accept that it is a tough thing to predict a woman's mind but this guy just does it with so much ease....valee is the gr8est....

Kupps
2nd August 2005, 12:39 AM
In Ramayana, Vaalee is a valiant person, great warrior, by himself. In addition to that, he possessed a unique strength - a strength of attracting half of his opponent's strength towards him, his advantage, and make himself invicible in a war situation. So whoever be his opponent he would never be able to win vaalee so easily. That is why, Raama had to kill him deceptively from hide (a blot in raama's character despite that act was very much needed).

Now we can understand how lyricist rangarajan of srirangam is named as valee. Be whatever his opponent, not necessarily a rival poet, even the situations that warrants lyrics for blogger buds era whereas he is from the era of OCS, Vaalee attracts the opposition's power towards his advantage and comes out successful. Indeed it is a fitting name to this writer -- a deft jack of all kind of lyrical situation. Indeed a versatile writer. Using azhagan, azhagappan (mamootty's) speech in banupriya's dance concert, Vaalee is uppuma (not in any 'mean' sense, but in a strict vegetarian sense).

So, IMHO, Vaalee will always be there everwhere, so he should be discounted from the race (after KKD who is it?).

So, after KKD it is indeed VM.

However, despite his strength and his own knowledge, I don't consider VM to be in the league of KKD. KKD is KKD, a league on his own.

S.Balaji
2nd August 2005, 06:20 PM
Dear All,

I am tempted to share this old news item of Kannadasan :

Kannadasan was with Congress for sometime but for some minor rift with Kamarajar , he moved out but wanted to come back. He probably chose in one of his songs :

Andha Sivagaamee maganidam sedhi solladee ennai serum naal paarka solladi. ( Jai shankar and KRV in Pattanathil Bootham )

Amazing presence of mind and timing as you all know Kamarajar's mother's name is - Sivagami !!

A big salute to Kavignar

app_engine
16th September 2005, 01:17 AM
http://newstodaynet.com/16aug/rf2.htm

Vali felicitation...

J.Radhakrishnan
3rd August 2011, 10:00 PM
கண்ணதாசனுக்கு பிறகு யாரையும் கூற முடியவில்லை, என்னை மன்னிக்கவும்.

Isai Rasigan
27th May 2012, 12:39 PM
After Kannadasan, it is definitely Vaali. Vairamuthu doesn't even come close (Even though some people conferred the title "Kaviperarasu" on him in an attempt to portray him as greater than Kaviarasu Kannadasan). The most charitable thing one can think about VM is that he is good in patches. He doesn't have the class to compare with KK, nor does he have the grace to acknowledge others. He has a king sized ego and puts down others. (Incidentally, while KK is a poet, VM can at best be described as a lyricist, not a poet. I had a hard time trying to read one of his collections of 'poems', it was more like a dialogue than a poem) and took on Ilayaraaja, Muthulingam and the new crop of young lyricists.

But I do like some of his lyrics. As I said, he is good in patches. For that matter, Pa Vijay's Ovvoru Pookkalume and Na Muthukumar's "Chinna Kanniley enna ketkirai..." from Dhoni are nice too and compare with VM's best.

Verdict: After Kannadasan, it is Vaali and then there is a yawning gap. VM is no match for these two.

Ravi Krishnan
3rd June 2012, 02:32 PM
For depth of knowledge and sheer outlook, KK is a class unto himself. Vaali comes closer than anyone else. But Vairamuthu? Lets not joke. VM is an ego maniac and although sometimes he does come-up with good lyrics, he is nevertheless kills his fame through his mouth. Have met the guy and disliked him instantly.