PDA

View Full Version : Good Movies You would Recommend Others to Watch

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Thiru
21st July 2005, 09:59 PM
Though each person has its own taste, there are certain movies which will touch one and all.. There are certain movies which are not blockbusters or not even hits, but still the movie is a good one.. Lets use this thread to share such movies..

Thiru
21st July 2005, 10:00 PM
Let me begin with these two..

21 Grams - I watched this movie recently.. Its an amazing movie revolving around 3 characters and their lives and they end up together... Manirathnam certainly took some inspiration from this movie when making 'aayudha ezuthu'.. I would recommend this movie to any 'Drama' movie lover..

Almost famous - This is an old movie (2001) and is about Music and Rolling stones.. The movie moves around a teenager who travels with a rock band to write about them.. I would recommend this for viewers who are interested in Rock music with a liking for Drama...

Hyderbadi
22nd July 2005, 01:52 AM
The Transporter(2002): very good movie. Very good fight scenes and driving scenes. No innapropriate scenes and the direction and acting is perfect.

Where's the Party Yaar?(2003): hillarious desi comedy(in English). This is one of the funniest movies about Indian people that i have seen so far.

alwarpet_andavan
22nd July 2005, 03:42 PM
Saw this on Zee MGM (now Zee Studio) recently... dunno if this was a hit or not...

Savior - One of the best movies i've seen. A long and hard look at war, the human side of war, seen through the eyes of an American soldier fighting in the Serbian war.

vingem
22nd July 2005, 11:32 PM
Memento
By Christopher Nolan,an amazingly brilliant modern Noir movie.this is definitely not a movie for everyone and repeated viewings may be required.one of my all time favourite.

Usual Suspects good suspense movie.

Snatch a guy Ritchie movie with Brad Pitt and Jason Statham(Transporter) absolutely hilarious movie.
Seven, Brad Pitt in the lead role this is also an excellent movie.

Thiru
23rd July 2005, 12:20 AM
vingem,

Thanks.. Memento and Seven were popular movies during its time.. Memento is a classic movie and you need a paper and pen to watch this movie to retrace the scenes.. I sometimes have to do this with Tarantino movies :)

priyajoyson
26th July 2005, 02:42 PM
I would like to talk about a few movies that touched my heart.
1. Steeling magnolias: It is a very lovely story of a mother and daughter. The daughter's role was casted by Julia roberts and I dont know the name of the mother character but it is a very lovely movie. It makes you laugh and cry.

2. While you were sleeping: By sandra bullock, it is hilarious.

I will think about more movies that I really enjoyed and let you know.

NM
26th July 2005, 06:35 PM
priya :

Yes, Steel Magnolias was indeed a touching movie. Written by Robert Harling of Natchitoches, it is a moving, bittersweet story line centers around six women in a small southern town who comes to terms with life, death and marriage. It blends comedy and tragedy with stars Sally Field (Julia Robert's mother in this movie), Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLaine, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis, and Julia Roberts weave the variety of southern life on film.

While you were sleeping with Sandra was another one I enjoyed, the same as Miss Congeniality and Two Weeks Notice.

Others i've enjoyed watching were Terms of Endearment (a touching movie), Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, Pretty Woman, To Kill A Mockingbird (an old movie with Gregory Peck in it).....more when I remember!

a.ratchasi
27th July 2005, 02:25 PM
Seven was one heck of a movie! :thumbsup:

Pretty Woman....:)
----------------------------------------------------------
1)Legally Blond 1
2)Ever after
3)Dangerous minds
4)The Jackal
5)Frailty
6)Abyss
7)Blade 1
8)Predator 1 & 2
9)Face Off
10)Edward Scissorshand
11)Muriel's Wedding
12)My Best Friend's Wedding
13)Father of the Bride (classic and now alike)
14)Cruel Intentions
15)Bride and Prejudice
16)Lancelot
17)Maverick
18)Sommersby
19)Little Man Tate

NM
27th July 2005, 07:52 PM
Beautiful Mind was a good movie too! :D

Roxanne - a comedy movie with Steve Martin

There was one movie I saw ages ago about a guy with 5 split personalities - a true story - it was really really nice! Will find out the name of the movie...

ET, Tootsie, Ghostbusters, Beverly Hills Cop, Romancing the Stone, Back to the Future, Top Gun, Ruthless People (Danny de Vito- comedy), Twins (Danny de vito and Arnold Sch), Three Men and a baby, Good Morning Vietnam, RainMan, Lethal Weapon, Independance Day, Working Girls....

Surya
29th July 2005, 01:40 AM
Fareinheight 9/11 - Micheal Moore

Supersize Me - Morgan Spurlock

Dawn of the Dead

Out of Sight

More Later...

Thiru
29th July 2005, 06:37 PM
Proof of Life was another good movie with Russel Crowe and Meg Ryan in the lead.. The movie might remind you of Roja at times but has a well-knit screenplay...I dont think this movie was a big hit when it came out..

Surya
31st July 2005, 01:19 AM
No it wasn't a hit. I remember watching it on TBS after only a few months of it's theatrical release. It is a good movie! :D

Nerd
31st July 2005, 06:39 AM
21 Grams - I watched this movie recently.. Its an amazing movie revolving around 3 characters and their lives and they end up together... Manirathnam certainly took some inspiration from this movie when making 'aayudha ezuthu'.. I would recommend this movie to any 'Drama' movie lover..

Very true Thiru :clap:

Just saw the movie.. Incredible performance by those three pivotal characters.. Esp. Sean Penn.. He was terrific in dead man walking and this performance is no less...

btw, DMW is another amazing movie, if someone hasnt watched it yet, I would highly recommend it.. 8)

ramsri
1st August 2005, 03:23 PM
great thread, thiru! been waiting for someone to start something on these lines, and only stumbled upon this thread today ...

anyway, my initial contributions:

1. The Color of Money (Paul Newman, Tom Cruise, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio)
washed out pool champion 'fast' eddie felson (newman) runs into the prodigiously talented vincent (cruise) and takes him under his wing. But as vince becomes a big hit on the circuit, cracks develop between the two, prompting eddie to make a comeback as a player to prove that he still has the fire. check out this film - it has some of the most amazing pool table sequences ever put on film. i think paul newman won an oscar for this - not sure.

2. Awakenings (Robert De Niro, Robin Williams)
a bunch of deathbed patients in a hospital miraculously return to consciousness after extended periods in coma. De Niro is awesome as a terminally ill victim savouring his last few days, while Williams is uncharacteristically subtle as the genial doctor trying desperately to connect with his patients.

3. JFK (Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Oldman, Kevin Bacon)
a brilliant, controversial reconstruction of the events leading up to the kennedy assassination, told through the eyes of jim garrison (costner), the attorney who reopens the case six years after it was officially closed. this is one for the ages - an all-time classic.

more later ...

Sinthiya
2nd August 2005, 08:09 AM
I AM Sam. Saw it on TV for the x # of times yesterday. Sean Penn was amazing in the movie. An emotional movie, and it was well done!

Closer. Jude Law ( :) ); Clive Owen, Natalie Portman and Julia Roberts acted well. It's a twisted love story between the four. It's different and interesting to understand the complexities of each character. I thought it was nicely done.

More to come...

ramsri
2nd August 2005, 10:14 PM
I AM Sam. Saw it on TV for the x # of times yesterday. Sean Penn was amazing in the movie. An emotional movie, and it was well done!

hmmm ... wasn't 'I am Sam' remade into a hindi flick with ajay devgan in the lead? i think the film came out not so long ago ... anyone seen it?

ramsri
2nd August 2005, 10:26 PM
addition to the list -

- Witness (harrision ford, kelly mcgillis)
ford is an FBI agent assigned to investigate a high-profile murder case, in which a 10-year old boy is the key witness. good storyline, fast-paced ... great thriller overall. i think the kamal film 'Soorasamharam' was loosely based on this.

- Bruce Almighty (jim carrey, morgan freeman, jennifer aniston)
not what you might call an all-time great film, but very entertaining nevertheless. great concept of a real-life loser getting to play God for a while, and the hilarious situations that ensue as a result.

another film with a somewhat similar theme is 'Oh! God' - a 1970s comedy starring john denver as the loser and george burns as God.

NM
3rd August 2005, 12:25 PM
Unchained melody and Ghost are two touching movies that I enjoyed and still hv tears in my eyes when I watch them!

abbydoss1969
3rd August 2005, 08:22 PM
You guys watch such serious movies!
What about 1. Go west by Groucha marx
2. Shot in the Dark in pink panther series by Peter sellers. Any body liked them?

ramsri
4th August 2005, 05:32 PM
Unchained melody and Ghost are two touching movies that I enjoyed and still hv tears in my eyes when I watch them!

yeah, i loved whoopi goldberg's character (oscar for best supporting actress) in Ghost ... particularly the parts where patrick swayze desperately tries to convince her to talk to his wife, and she stubbornly refuses. and the scene where he gets into her room and keeps her awake all night singing 'i am henry the eighth, i am' ... really hilarious!

Unchained melody - isn't that a song by the righteous brothers? :D anything to do with the film?

NM
5th August 2005, 06:25 AM
Ramsi...u're rite'..."unchained melody" was the song played in Ghost... :oops: :oops:
What i meant to say was 'Always" and "Ghost".....
Always has Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter - touching movie..
the song "smoke gets in your eyes" by platters was superb!!! :D

And, yeah, who can forget Whoopi in Ghost :lol: :lol:

soccer_gal
5th August 2005, 11:17 PM
Phone Booth :!:
The story is so twisted, I was very confused in some scenes while watching the film. Oh well, I guess the moral of it is don't cheat on your girlfriend.... because someone maybe listening to EVERYTHING you say and do and thus black mail you. :roll:

Thiru
5th August 2005, 11:50 PM
Good will hunting is another good movie Starring Robin williams and Matt Damon..

slperson1
6th August 2005, 07:16 AM
The Game

this is a very interesting movie u will not guess the ending its such a twisted movie (in a good way). this is a movie where basically this guys life gets turned upside down and we get to watch it go crazy and all the twists and turns awesome!

The Usual Suspects

this is a mystery movie which once again ud have never guess the ending.btw a scene from villain was copied from this movie its quite apparent which one.

abbydoss1969
6th August 2005, 08:48 PM
CASABLANCA anyone?
It came first in the "Top 100 American movies"
Do you think overhyped? or justified?
Except for couple lines like"Play it again , Sam " and "It is the beginning of a long friendship" and "Of all the gin joints, in all the world, ......... she has to come into mine" dialogues I don't think much of it

ramsri
7th August 2005, 09:20 PM
Phone Booth :!:
The story is so twisted, I was very confused in some scenes while watching the film. Oh well, I guess the moral of it is don't cheat on your girlfriend.... because someone maybe listening to EVERYTHING you say and do and thus black mail you. :roll:

guess that's one way of looking at it, the fact that the film makes you think, for a moment at least, about the lies you tell, the choices you make and who could be hurt by them. but frankly i'm not so sure if that story really has a moral :D
as the voice in the end puts it across nicely,
it's so strange. you hear a phone ring, and it could be anyone. but then, you have to answer it because its ringing ...

something of the sort ... the exact lines escape my memory. but that was the real theme, for me. i mean, the guy didn't have to pick up that phone in the booth. wasn't as if he was expecting a call or something. its just a normal tendency when a phone rings, to pick up and find out who's calling. and that seemingly innocuous action can get you into trouble sometimes ... very well made film!

NM
8th August 2005, 06:53 AM
Good will hunting is another good movie Starring Robin williams and Matt Damon..Yes, I remember that movie! Robin williams is really good actor - can do both comedy and serious roles very well!

Another movie is Dances with Wolves - Kevin Costner, slow but good...

Color Purple is a good movie I saw in the late 80's...story of an African woman who underwent a lot of abuse - physically and emotionally.....

Children of the Lesser God...movie about a mute girl

City of god - set in Calcutta is another nice movie.... :D

a.ratchasi
8th August 2005, 10:46 AM
Color Purple is a good movie I saw in the late 80's...story of an African woman who underwent a lot of abuse - physically and emotionally.....

Children of the Lesser God...movie about a mute girl

The Color Purple was by Spielberg.
It had both Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey.
If I'm not mistaken, that was Oprah' first acting stint.

NM, I think you are referring to City of Joy which had Patrik Swayze in the lead.

Both movies are very moving.

NM
8th August 2005, 11:44 AM
Yes, AR, you're rite'!! :oops: :oops: I knew it was city something :D :lol: thanks for correcting that :oops:

Yup...agreed, both color purple and city of Joy are moving :cry:

Querida
9th August 2005, 12:53 AM
I just saw Wedding Crashers yesterday...it was shocking, lewd yet hilarious! I recommend it to those who didn't mind american pie and the like...

ramsri
9th August 2005, 08:06 PM

right - 'Dances' is one of the *greatest* westerns of all time. kevin costner made his directorial debut with this film, and won oscars for best director and best picture and was nominated for best actor! must be some kind of record. and add to all this the fact that the film won seven oscars beating out competition from the likes of 'Ghost', 'Goodfellas', and 'The Godfather Part III' which were at the oscars the same year. stunning achievement.

based on dominique lapierre's novel of the same name, right? anyone read it?

abbydoss1969
9th August 2005, 08:26 PM

right - 'Dances' is one of the *greatest* westerns of all time. kevin costner made his directorial debut with this film, and won oscars for best director and best picture and was nominated for best actor! must be some kind of record. and add to all this the fact that the film won seven oscars beating out competition from the likes of 'Ghost', 'Goodfellas', and 'The Godfather Part III' which were at the oscars the same year. stunning achievement.

Dances with the wolves is not western! It is anti-western.
It is made from the Point of view of the native Americans. Traditional westerns are made from the Pov of white guys, trying to conquer the frontier, with the natives being the villians.

abbydoss1969
9th August 2005, 08:28 PM

It is made from the Point of view of the native Americans. Traditional westerns are made from the Pov of white guys, trying to conquer the frontier, with the natives being the villians.

NM
10th August 2005, 12:08 PM
Ramsri..I haven't read the book.......is it good??

ramsri
10th August 2005, 02:09 PM

good point! that's exactly what makes the film a modern classic - the fact that it didn't fit into any of the subgenres or parodies of a western. in that sense, it was in a completely different mould, breaking away from the kind of steretypes that one associates with films of that genre. and one gets a sense of this central theme pretty early on in the film, when john dunbar (costner) is asked why he wants to be posted on the frontier, and he replies:

I want to see the West ... before it's gone! :thumbsup:

if you liked 'Dances', check out 'Open Range' another beautifully made western. this one has costner teaming up with robert duvall and annette bening.

ramsri
10th August 2005, 02:10 PM
Ramsri..I haven't read the book.......is it good??

it's very good. probably one of lapierre's best works, second only to 'freedom at midnight'.

alwarpet_andavan
10th August 2005, 02:54 PM

Isn't it City Of Joy?

alwarpet_andavan
10th August 2005, 02:58 PM
That's pleasantly surprising AND interesting.
Wish HW made war movies also without imposing the American viewpoint. We do have (anti)war movies like Platoon, but at worst they glorify American genocide and at best take into account only the Amercian cost of war, and not the costs of the victims

Even in Apocalypse Now, the story has just two view-points - that of the Americans and the French.

NM
10th August 2005, 06:13 PM
AA : yes it is City of Joy, as pointed out by A ratchasi earlier... :oops:

Ramsri : I will get the book.......i liked the movie very much! :D

abbydoss1969
10th August 2005, 08:10 PM
That's pleasantly surprising AND interesting.
Wish HW made war movies also without imposing the American viewpoint. We do have (anti)war movies like Platoon, but at worst they glorify American genocide and at best take into account only the Amercian cost of war, and not the costs of the victims

Even in Apocalypse Now, the story has just two view-points - that of the Americans and the French.
Hi,
There is an interesting story behing making of DWW,It was written as a novel by the author 15 years before the movie was made living in trailer vans etc.After he met, Kevin costner, he remade it into a screenplay and even with KC, it took more than ten years to find a producer because it was so unconventional.And it was not produced by the big studios, but by an independant producer.
That kind devotion is hard to find, here or in holly wood,
War movies generally made for jingoistic audiences, like Gadar, Border etc.
I have not seen Apocalypse Now, it is any better?

abbydoss1969
10th August 2005, 08:18 PM

good point! that's exactly what makes the film a modern classic - the fact that it didn't fit into any of the subgenres or parodies of a western. in that sense, it was in a completely different mould, breaking away from the kind of steretypes that one associates with films of that genre. and one gets a sense of this central theme pretty early on in the film, when john dunbar (costner) is asked why he wants to be posted on the frontier, and he replies:

I want to see the West ... before it's gone! :thumbsup:

if you liked 'Dances', check out 'Open Range' another beautifully made western. this one has costner teaming up with robert duvall and annette bening.
BTW, what happened to Kevin Costner himself? This guy made couple of classics, like, DWW, Body gaurd, No place to run(?) etc,
After WAter world, he has disappeared.

alwarpet_andavan
10th August 2005, 08:28 PM
War movies generally made for jingoistic audiences, like Gadar, Border etc.
I have not seen Apocalypse Now, it is any better?
AN is more of a "personal" movie, in that it takes us into the mind of the character played by Marlon Brando.
The movie is set in the Vietnam war background but pushes the Vietnamese and later Cambodians into the background.
In that way, its neither jingoistic nor genuinely anti-war

alwarpet_andavan
10th August 2005, 08:29 PM
BTW, what happened to Kevin Costner himself? This guy made couple of classics, like, DWW, Body gaurd, No place to run(?) etc,
I'm not sure but i think he acted in a movie called Tin Cup.....

NM
11th August 2005, 06:39 AM
No place to run
After WAter world, he has disappeared.abbydoss, its No Way Out - the first KC movie I saw and fell in love with the man,.... :D :D

ramsri
11th August 2005, 05:14 PM
Hi,
There is an interesting story behing making of DWW,It was written as a novel by the author 15 years before the movie was made living in trailer vans etc.After he met, Kevin costner, he remade it into a screenplay and even with KC, it took more than ten years to find a producer because it was so unconventional.And it was not produced by the big studios, but by an independant producer.
That kind devotion is hard to find, here or in holly wood,

yeah ... costner actually started his own production company TIG productions, along with jim wilson of warner bros, to fund that movie. and it turned out to be a bonanza for them. among the top grossing films in a year that churned out monster hits like 'Home Alone' and 'Ghost'.

ramsri
11th August 2005, 05:25 PM

after 'Dances' costner's star continued to rise with films like 'The Bodyguard', 'JFK' (directed by oliver stone) and 'A Perfect World' (directed by clint eastwood). but yes, as you say, 'Waterworld' turned out to be his undoing. after that there was a series of forgettable flicks - 'Tin Cup' , 'The Postman', '3000 Miles to Graceland' (i think he co-starred with kurt russell in this one) etc. he made a partial comeback with 'Dragonfly' and 'Thirteen Days' a couple of years ago. then i think came 'Open Range' which he directed, and that got him back on track. last year's 'Upside of Anger' in which he stars with joan allen, is being tipped for the oscars and is regarded by critics as a complete return to form.

but if you really want the best of kevin costner, you should watch (apart from 'Dances', of course) 'Field of Dreams' and 'JFK' - sort of reminds you of what a versatile talent he once was (and still is, hopefully!).

Sinthiya
14th August 2005, 07:25 AM

after 'Dances' costner's star continued to rise with films like 'The Bodyguard', 'JFK' (directed by oliver stone) and 'A Perfect World' (directed by clint eastwood). but yes, as you say, 'Waterworld' turned out to be his undoing. after that there was a series of forgettable flicks - 'Tin Cup' , 'The Postman', '3000 Miles to Graceland' (i think he co-starred with kurt russell in this one) etc. he made a partial comeback with 'Dragonfly' and 'Thirteen Days' a couple of years ago. then i think came 'Open Range' which he directed, and that got him back on track. last year's 'Upside of Anger' in which he stars with joan allen, is being tipped for the oscars and is regarded by critics as a complete return to form.

but if you really want the best of kevin costner, you should watch (apart from 'Dances', of course) 'Field of Dreams' and 'JFK' - sort of reminds you of what a versatile talent he once was (and still is, hopefully!).

Field of Dreams is a great movie, especially you're a baseball fan.

abbydoss1969
14th August 2005, 08:14 PM
There is a movie called "Bull Durham" or Bill Dirham by KC, isn't there? :cry:

Querida
15th August 2005, 04:48 AM
you're very right Abbydoss :D was it any good?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094812/

i really like 3000 miles to graceland :) especially that bit with Jon Lovitz :lol: DWW was beautiful...

From the few Tom Hanks movies i've watched i liked Forrest Gump, Green Mile, Cast Away :D

ramsri
15th August 2005, 11:02 AM
There is a movie called "Bull Durham" or Bill Dirham by KC, isn't there? :cry:

yeah ... it's Bull Durham. baseball comedy filck starring susan sarandon and tim robbins alongside KC. really funny film, with great performances from the lead trio. but the movie is really remembered more for the sizzling onscreen chemistry between costner and sarandon.

abbydoss1969
15th August 2005, 07:25 PM
is really remembered more for the sizzling onscreen chemistry between costner and sarandon.

Tim Robbins is Susan's husband isn't it?I remember sizzling on screen chemistry between KC and Renee Russo in Tincup.
Come to think of it,KC has got sizzling scenes in almost all his movies, with all beautiful girls.In "No way out" with "Sean Young" (acc to link Querida has provided). Whitney Houston....in Body guard .....

ramsri
16th August 2005, 01:49 PM
Tim Robbins is Susan's husband isn't it?

yeah - maybe they got married after he directed her in 'Dead Man Walking' and she won an oscar for it!

ramsri
16th August 2005, 11:12 PM
i really like 3000 miles to graceland :) especially that bit with Jon Lovitz :lol:

he's a great comedian - highly underrated in my opinion. he was also very good in 'A League of Their Own' and 'Three Amigos'.

Querida
25th August 2005, 02:27 AM
I watched a movie called "deceived" with Goldie Hawn and John Heard it was very good, kept you guessing and glued to your seat (well unless nature insisted :lol: :P ) and truly surprised you in the ending :D

alwarpet_andavan
9th September 2005, 04:55 PM
Anyone here who likes Coen brothers' movies?

vingem
29th September 2005, 11:32 PM

Not a big fan of them. i liked Fargo, Raising Arizona and Bllod Simple was ok too. i didn't like Millers Crossing. have watched bits & pieces of Big Lebowski and Hudsucker..

vingem
30th September 2005, 02:38 AM
Recently i watched 'Crash', that's one good movie. if you've watched 'Million Dollary Baby' you'll probably love Crash.
Paul Hagis sure knows how to write drama.

alwarpet_andavan
30th September 2005, 03:52 PM

Not a big fan of them. i liked Fargo, Raising Arizona and Bllod Simple was ok too. i didn't like Millers Crossing. have watched bits & pieces of Big Lebowski and Hudsucker..
The Big Lebowsky is my favorite among Coen bro's movies.

Intolerable Cruelty, IMO is their worst and was their most atypical movie.....

vingem
30th September 2005, 10:20 PM
isn't parts of Big lebowski surreal ? i don't know i could be wrong since i haven't watched the whole movie. if its not apt i don't like surrealism

alwarpet_andavan
2nd October 2005, 04:06 PM
isn't parts of Big lebowski surreal ? i don't know i could be wrong since i haven't watched the whole movie. if its not apt i don't like surrealism
Interesting u mentioned surrealism here. I don't like surrealism either but somehow liked the bits in The Big Lebowsky. The surreal parts were just to depict the drug-induced "trips" taken by The Dude, the protagonist played by Jeff Bridges....
Its a very bizarre and funny movie...

lancelot
2nd October 2005, 04:23 PM
anyone seen Sin City??? wat do u think about it???
i think it's one of the best movie
hehe
:D

NM
3rd October 2005, 05:13 AM
Cinderella Man with Russell Crowe in lead role is excellent!

vingem
3rd October 2005, 10:30 PM
hehe

i wanted to like Sin City but after watching the movie i couldn't find any reason to do so. the only thing that i liked about the movie was the black&white look of the movie which gave a comic feel.

vingem
3rd October 2005, 10:31 PM
Interesting u mentioned surrealism here. I don't like surrealism either but somehow liked the bits in The Big Lebowsky. The surreal parts were just to depict the drug-induced "trips" taken by The Dude, the protagonist played by Jeff Bridges....
Its a very bizarre and funny movie...

good to know, i thought the whole movie was like that.

ssanjinika
3rd October 2005, 10:33 PM
hehe

Looks like you like gross movies..
I wanted to see only Tamil movies after I watched Sin City.The movie had such an adverse effect on me.

ssanjinika
3rd October 2005, 10:35 PM
Guys ,
Watched Serenity this weekend.People who like Sci-Fi movies would like this one.This movie is witty and very cool.Real good entertainment.

lancelot
3rd October 2005, 10:45 PM
hehe

I wanted to see only Tamil movies after I watched Sin City.The movie had such an adverse effect on me.

it's not gross.... it is very creative.... vilont....
i dont recomend u to see Pulp Fiction or Natural Born Killers...

i just saw Scarface... Al Pachino is amazing in it

hehe

lancelot
3rd October 2005, 10:48 PM
Guys ,
Watched Serenity this weekend.People who like Sci-Fi movies would like this one.This movie is witty and very cool.Real good entertainment.

i herd.... must get the DVD
hehe

Sinthiya
3rd October 2005, 10:56 PM
Anyone seen Flight Plan?

If so, let me know what you thought...it's a great thriller but I have some questions... :?

ssanjinika
3rd October 2005, 10:58 PM
Anyone seen Flight Plan?

Havent watched the movie but heard that the ending was pretty bad.Also the reviews on RottenTomatoes dont look too good.

Sinthiya
3rd October 2005, 11:08 PM
Anyone seen Flight Plan?

Havent watched the movie but heard that the ending was pretty bad.Also the reviews on RottenTomatoes dont look too good.

I saw the movie...it's an interesting thriller...the ending was ok...but i didn't understand the reason behind plan.... :?

overall, it was good!

lancelot
3rd October 2005, 11:11 PM
Anyone seen Flight Plan?

I saw the movie...it's an interesting thriller...the ending was ok...but i didn't understand the reason behind plan.... :?

overall, it was good!

try www.imdb.com there r ppl who u can ask stuff
hehe

Sinthiya
4th October 2005, 12:41 AM
Guys ,

it's based on a tv series right?

ssanjinika
4th October 2005, 12:59 AM
Guys ,

it's based on a tv series right?

Right!Its based on a serial called Firefly.
Though Ive never watched the TV Series.

vingem
4th October 2005, 02:24 AM
Guys ,

heard good reviews from people on nother board that i belong to.
the preview looked a bit cheesy but it was good.
and the actors/actresses in the movie are not well known i guess, so o kinda stayed away from this. maybe i should watch it.

vingem
4th October 2005, 02:26 AM
Cinderella Man with Russell Crowe in lead role is excellent!

missed this movie in the theatres. i'm waiting for the DVD to release. i definitely wanna watch this.

vingem
4th October 2005, 02:38 AM
hehe

it's not gross.... it is very creative.... vilont....
i dont recomend u to see Pulp Fiction or Natural Born Killers...

hehe

Sin city, for me, it wasn't the violence or the movie being gross. i just didn't like the movie plain and simple.
only thing that i loved watching in that movie was jessica Alba :D

Pulp Fiction was good. as for Scarface, its just an OK movie i haveno idea why its so overrated. according to me this movie is too overrated.no doubts Al Pacino is an excellent actor but scarface it was ok nothing excellent in it.

j.chenkalvarayan
4th October 2005, 09:39 PM
The motorcycle diaries.

an excellent review :

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/sep/30watch.htm

Sinthiya
5th October 2005, 08:24 AM
The motorcycle diaries.

an excellent review :

yes, i hear it's a great movie...

i'd like to see it...have you seen it j.c? how's the movie in your opinion?

ramsri
6th October 2005, 10:45 PM

another al capone film ? 'Scarface' was directed by brian de palma, right? does pacino actually play capone in the film? de palma seems to have had an obsession with the capone character. 'coz i remember watching another film of his - 'The Untouchables', (kevin costner-sean connery flick that had robert de niro as capone) and being mighty impressed.

vingem
7th October 2005, 02:57 AM

another al capone film ? 'Scarface' was directed by brian de palma, right? does pacino actually play capone in the film? de palma seems to have had an obsession with the capone character. 'coz i remember watching another film of his - 'The Untouchables', (kevin costner-sean connery flick that had robert de niro as capone) and being mighty impressed.

Scarface is not about Al Capone and it has nothing to with him.
it's about a Cuban Immigrant (Al Pacino) who goes to America and becomes the drug lord. but you were right about 'The
Untouchables', that's an excellent film. i have no idea how many movies in different languages have copied that 1 fight scene at the train Station. a truly classic movie.
and talking about Pacino and De palma, they also made another movie 'Carlito's way' that's a good movie too.

vingem
7th October 2005, 03:02 AM
'Heat' that's another favourite movie of mine. a crime drama, it's a battle of wits between a cop and a thief.a great gritty movie by Michael Mann.

shadow
8th October 2005, 12:06 AM
Magnolia

25th hour

Every QT movies except KILL BILL 2

Once Were Warriors.

cant remember all..

Anybody seen this brazilian movie "Carandiru" ? I heard it is awesome!.

ramsri
9th October 2005, 02:50 PM
talking about Pacino and De palma, they also made another movie 'Carlito's way' that's a good movie too.

right ... 'Carlito's Way' was a great film, taut direction with searing performances from pacino and sean penn. in fact, right through the 80s brian de palma had a great track record as a quality filmmaker. films like 'Body Double', 'Wise Guys' and 'Untouchables' stand testimony to his unquestionable talent. in fact, they've just announced a sequel to the last mentioned film, which is to be called 'The Untouchables: Capone Rising'. supposedly the story of a young al capone, how he arrives in chicago and his subsequent rise to power. de palma will direct the film and johnny depp is widely rumoured to have bagged the part of the young capone.

ramsri
9th October 2005, 02:51 PM
'Heat' that's another favourite movie of mine. a crime drama, it's a battle of wits between a cop and a thief.a great gritty movie by Michael Mann.

good film, but i somehow found val kilmer (otherwise an extremely capable actor) to be the weak link ... not only was he completely overshadowed by de niro and pacino (not his fault!) but he walked through his role with that what-am-i-doing-in-this-film kind of look which was a wee bit unconvincing.

r_un2001
10th October 2005, 05:56 PM
yes, i saw this movie..life story abt Che Guevara. this movie starts like a real movie then ends with documen... style. who ever know about Che Guevara they will really enjoy it.

two friends are travelling in bike from south america to north america.
i dont know how they are getting petrol to travel such distance.there is no scene like pouring petrol.

The motorcycle diaries.

an excellent review :

Anoushka
11th October 2005, 07:18 PM
City of God was a good movie. It was about two boys growing up in a violent area in Rio de Janeiro.

Miss Chennai
13th October 2005, 04:39 AM
"The Terminal" was a good movie!!!

This movie was released in last year Summer, I guess.

Saw it last week on video!

It's about a Eastern European "non-English speaking" man who upon arrival gets "stranded" in a NY airport because of illegal Visa status (thanks to some terrorist violence in his home country - some imaginary "Cracuzia" or something)!!!

Tom Hanks (as usual) was "brilliant" as Victor Nawrosky and gets back to a lighter comedy role (after a long time? - think he acted in animation movie "Polar Express" last year)!

The movie has Spielberg's touch in it especially the scene where the TV cameras in airport keep rotating towards Victor (Hanks). :clap:

Even as logic takes a little bit of a back-seat, Spielberg puts more emphasis on "comedy" and "entertainment"!!!

My Verdict: Go rent this movie and watch it! You will sure have 2 hrs of quality entertainment!!! :thumbsup:

NM
13th October 2005, 08:33 AM
Anyone seen Must Love Dogs yet?? I'm going to watch it tomorrow...

A Beautiful Mind was a great movie! :D

Thanks Miss Chennai, will see if I can get hold of "The terminal"

Sinthiya
13th October 2005, 09:46 AM
I saw The Terminal...it's a great entertainer!

Tom Hanks is awesome as usual...
Catherine Zeta Jones is simply great...

great comedy, interesting story...incredible that they built the entire airport set for the movie...

very cool movie...

:clap:

Alien
14th October 2005, 06:15 AM
talking abt Tom hanks, "Forrest Gump" and "Saving Private Ryan" r his best movies, as well as his best performances.... Both r two true classics 8-) :thumbsup: ...
I urge u guys to watch them, if u haven't seen them already :P

Sinthiya
14th October 2005, 08:15 AM
i also liked 'Catch Me if you Can'...it was a fun movie to watch...and Leonardo Di Caprio was good as well...

Philadelphia is another great movie of Tom Hanks...defintely one of his best performance as well...

i'm looking forward to his upcoming movie, 'The Da Vinci Code'...i am sure the movie will be as interesting as the book...

:)

lancelot
14th October 2005, 10:14 AM
i also liked 'Catch Me if you Can'...it was a fun movie to watch...and Leonardo Di Caprio was good as well...

Philadelphia is another great movie of Tom Hanks...defintely one of his best performance as well...

i'm looking forward to his upcoming movie, 'The Da Vinci Code'...i am sure the movie will be as interesting as the book...

Catch Me If You Can and Philadelphia are classic movies..... i am reding The Da Vinci Code.... the movie is gonna be sooooo good

hehe

Alien
14th October 2005, 12:41 PM
Has anyone seen "Schindler's List" ?

I loved "Life is beautiful" & "The Pianist" among those movies that depicted the horrible Holocaust ....u would very seldom get to experience movies of this class :P , exceptionally fabulous ones :P

Schindler's List ranks first in my "Movies to be watched" list 8-)

Sinthiya
14th October 2005, 09:38 PM
Catch Me If You Can and Philadelphia are classic movies..... i am reding The Da Vinci Code.... the movie is gonna be sooooo good
hehe

The Da Vinci Code was really interesting...i've read the Angels & Demons by the same author...it's also very good...

Sinthiya
14th October 2005, 09:44 PM

I loved "Life is beautiful" & "The Pianist" among those movies that depicted the horrible Holocaust ....u would very seldom get to experience movies of this class :P , exceptionally fabulous ones :P

I've seen Schindler's List..it's good..

haven't seen Life is Beautiful nor The Pianist...I would like to...

lancelot
15th October 2005, 05:35 AM

I've seen Schindler's List..it's good..

haven't seen Life is Beautiful nor The Pianist...I would like to...

Shindler's List.. wat am amzing movie..... i love it sooooo much.... soooo sad..... the part where they put all the ladies in one room and open the shower is sooo powerful.....it makes me sad every time i see it.....
i would hav seen this movie like a 100 times.... Shindler's character is one of the best u'll ever see.....

this movie is in my all time best list..... hats off to Spilberg for givin an amazig movie....

i also like "Hotel Ravanda" nice movie
hehe

Alien
15th October 2005, 07:37 AM
Shindler's List.. wat am amzing movie..... i love it sooooo much.... soooo sad..... the part where they put all the ladies in one room and open the shower is sooo powerful.....it makes me sad every time i see it.....
i would hav seen this movie like a 100 times.... Shindler's character is one of the best u'll ever see.....

this movie is in my all time best list..... hats off to Spilberg for givin an amazig movie....

i also like "Hotel Ravanda" nice movie
hehe

lance, then u also got to see Life is beautiful & The pianist ! I've often seen comparisons made among these 3 movies !(all of them depict Holocaust to some extent) . These 2 r amazing with a subtle touch of sadness in many places !

NM
18th October 2005, 05:41 AM
Hotel Rwanda was a very good movie. I liked it too! :D

And, Must Love Dogs is very romantic and funny at the same time. Credit to every actor n actress! :D Watch it!

r_un2001
19th October 2005, 09:15 PM
yah, i too like this film and presentation style.
selva's pudupetai is also inspired from this only....

City of God was a good movie. It was about two boys growing up in a violent area in Rio de Janeiro.

Cinefan
26th October 2005, 11:51 AM
I am writing a one line review for the some of the movies I saw in recent weeks.The movies might have been recommended by some other hubber earlier in this thread.

Sorry if that is the case.

1)Shawshank redemption:Gr8 movie with top-of-the line performences by Morgan Freeman&Tim Robbins.

The film eerily reminded me of 'Mahanadhi'-not due to story/screenplay but for the Jail ambience.
In one of the dialogues Morgan says"every person has a breaking point".Hmmm,did kamal get so affected that he used the same dialogue(with more effect)in KuruthiPunal?

2)Italian Job:Good fun.Well made.

3)The Terminal:Interesting premise but was a bit of let down considering Steven Spielberg's exalted standards.But worth a watch just for Tom Hanks-Amazing performance.

4)Basic Instinct-Good thriller&Micheal Douglas gives an arresting performance.Sharon Stone is HOT but what I saw was a censored version :(

5)Meet the parents/Meet the Fockers :Excellent corny comedy.Ben Stiller&Robert De Niro form a damn good pair.The sequel was better than the first part.

6)Catch Me If you can:Fun film.Leonardo Di Caprio outshone Tom Hanks.

7)To Catch a Thief-Supposedly a Alfred Hitchcock classic but didn't impress me.

Anoushka
26th October 2005, 04:46 PM
One of my all time favourites - As good as it gets - Jack Nicolson and Helen hunt!

And I like Tom Hanks in Cast Away :)

stranger
27th October 2005, 05:00 AM
very true, anou,

jack and helen were amazing in the oscar-winning as good as it gets! :)

stranger
27th October 2005, 05:02 AM
Folks!

Are you a western lover?

rent and watch "lonesome dove". I believe it was a TV-serial.

Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones were amazing.

One of the best westerns to date!

Anoushka
27th October 2005, 03:13 PM
I haven't seen many new movies in the past couple of years, but out of the few I saw the ones that stayed in my mind are

Whale rider - I loved it so went and bought a DVD as well.
Finding Nemo - saw it in the theatre twice... who said cartoons are for children? :lol:
Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy - I had read the book and I wasn't sure how they would be able to picturise everything, but it was brilliant! Marvin the paranoid android looked cute :)

ssanjinika
27th October 2005, 08:01 PM
Hey Anoushka..if you liked finding nemo you should check out The Incredibles and Monsters Inc.
The two are amongst my fav movies of all times.Really really cool!

Anoushka
28th October 2005, 05:11 PM
ssanjinika: I loved Monsters Inc to bits :) I still haven't seen The Incredibles :(

ramsri
29th October 2005, 01:18 PM
1)Shawshank redemption:Gr8 movie with top-of-the line performences by Morgan Freeman&Tim Robbins.

The film eerily reminded me of 'Mahanadhi'-not due to story/screenplay but for the Jail ambience.
In one of the dialogues Morgan says"every person has a breaking point".Hmmm,did kamal get so affected that he used the same dialogue(with more effect)in KuruthiPunal?

hmmm ... interesting. didn't quite catch that line when i saw the film. as for the Kuruthipunal connection, 'Shawshank' was released in 1994, did KP hit the screens before or after that? i think it was after ...
but then KP was a remake anyway, right ... remember g.nihalani's 'Drohkaal'?

ramsri
29th October 2005, 01:25 PM

one of my favourite scenes from 'Philadelphia' is denzel washington summarizing his case for the jury, and his opening lines go something like this -
"we're standing here in philadelphia, the city of brotherly love, the birthplace of freedom, where our founding fathers authored the declaration of independence, and I don't recall that glorious document saying anything like all straight men are created equal. i believe it says all men are created equal."
:thumbsup:

Cinefan
3rd November 2005, 05:54 PM

hmmm ... interesting. didn't quite catch that line when i saw the film. as for the Kuruthipunal connection, 'Shawshank' was released in 1994, did KP hit the screens before or after that? i think it was after ...
but then KP was a remake anyway, right ... remember g.nihalani's 'Drohkaal'?

SR released in 1994,Oh!I was under the impression that it's a 1989 movie.

Anyway KP released in 1995,yes it's a remake of 'Droh kaal',don't know if Govind Nihlani has a similar line in that one.

If not,then I think Kamal borrowed it from this one(just a guess).

Anyway as I said earlier,he used it more effectively in KP,it was just a passing remark from Morgan in SR directed at Tim.

I wonder why Kamal never attempted a remake of this one,would have made pretty good/gritty cinema.

TombRaider
5th November 2005, 06:13 PM
MIND HUNTERS - Suspense.....Thriller.....Action packed....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Wat is LOVE??..... 2 C d world in a grain of sand N heaven in a flower... 2 hold infinity in d palm of yr hand N eternity in an hour...

Sinthiya
6th November 2005, 02:36 AM
yes...I saw Mind Hunters...it's an awesome thriller...very suspenseful...

Has anyone seen 'Saw'? It's a wicked movie...very gruesome but a great thriller...such a shocking ending...didn't expect it at all...

Saw 2 is out ... hoping to see it soon...

Surya
6th November 2005, 04:49 AM
Tomb Raider........I'm in love with ur avatar!!!! :P :P :P

...Anywayz,
I just saw Against the Ropes on Showtime starring Meg Ryan. AWESOME MOVIE FOLKS!!

Anesh
7th November 2005, 02:05 PM
Runaway Jury (John Cusack, Dustin Hoffman & Gene Hackman)
How juries of an American Court are picked and the verdict can be manipulated by altering certain details that does not effect the prosiding of the case

Identity (John Cusack)
It is a serial murder that happens in a motel. Well there is a twist in the movie. That is the climax of the whole plot.

Kingdom of Heaven (Orlando Bloom)
How Jeruselam fell to the Sarecans during the crusades. Wonderful battle scenes. Quite slow but can be watched for the idelistic plot.

Sinthiya
8th November 2005, 01:15 AM
Identity (John Cusack)
It is a serial murder that happens in a motel. Well there is a twist in the movie. That is the climax of the whole plot.

Yes, Identity is a nice thriller...a great twist in the movie...great suspense throughout the movie...

Nerd
9th November 2005, 12:56 AM
Did anyone mention Million Dollar Baby here?? As a drama lover, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! Clint hasnt lost it after so many years. My all-time fav clint movie is, The Good the bad and the ugly. Terrific movie :thumbsup:

ssanjinika
9th November 2005, 01:02 AM
Million Dollar Baby is a movie which affected me so much that I find it difficult to talk about the movie even now!
As for Identity...man all I can say is WOW!!!
How people even think the way they do is beyond me.Anyways I thoroughly enjoyed every min of the movie.

Runaway Jury..well...it was ok I guess.I much prefered the book.Though John cusack did well!

Surya
9th November 2005, 06:24 AM
Identity was one of the most surpricing films ever!! Who would have thought that the kid was the psychotic personality eh????

PS: If u haven't seen the film.....don't read the above!! :wink:

Sinthiya
9th November 2005, 10:21 AM
Did anyone mention Million Dollar Baby here?? As a drama lover, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! Clint hasnt lost it after so many years. My all-time fav clint movie is, The Good the bad and the ugly. Terrific movie :thumbsup:
i've yet to see it...Have you seen Clint Eastwood's Mystic River? I think Sean Penn is such a great actor...

Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River are on my list of movies to see...soon!

Sinthiya
9th November 2005, 10:22 AM
PS: If u haven't seen the film.....don't read the above!! :wink:
now you've ruined it for everyone.... :o

stranger
11th November 2005, 11:38 PM
**PS: If u haven't seen the film.....don't read the above!! **

I dont know of anybody who has a habit of neither reading a PS first then the post nor reading a post from the bottom sentence to the top sentence.

ramsri
12th November 2005, 10:58 PM
i've yet to see it...Have you seen Clint Eastwood's Mystic River?

yeah, good film. it's a typical eastwood film in many ways. plain, stark, claustrophobic and hard-hitting, completely devoid of over-the-top sequences and technical wizardry. the film basically relies on a strong script, solid screenplay and performances from the lead trio to see it through. great acting efforts from tim robbins and sean penn (esp. the former). in fact this one has a dazzling star cast which is surprising for a clint eastwood film. apart from penn and robbins, there's the always-welcome kevin bacon, along with marcia gay-harden and laura linney. overall, yes ... definitely worth a look.

Alien
13th November 2005, 07:44 AM
**PS: If u haven't seen the film.....don't read the above!! **

I dont know of anybody who has a habit of neither reading a PS first then the post nor reading a post from the bottom sentence to the top sentence.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Jeeeeeee !! Surya :twisted:

Anoushka
15th November 2005, 05:27 PM
I saw StepMom again recently and I love that movie to bits... Lovely movie, definetly one that I would recommend to others.

Girish11
16th November 2005, 04:32 AM
Very interesting views. Have made a list of more than 20 movies from this thread and
hope to see them.

Have not seen many English movies recently,
here are a few I recommend from the ones
I remember, some of them are not popular/low profile movies which I happened to watch
accidentally while browsing tv channels and
got stuck to the channel till completing the
movie.

Frequency : A sci-fi starring Dennis Quaid and
James Caiezel (The lead actor
from MG's "Passion of the christ"
and "Thin red line", a very under
rated actor in my opinion)

Plot : An accidental cross-time radio link connects father and son across 30 years. The son tries to save his father's life, but then must fix the consequences.

A racy and entertaining movie indeed.

A League of their own : Starring Tom Hanks,
Geena Davis, Madonna

A movie based on the events how women's
baseball became a happening thing due to
the world war when men could not participate
in baseball competitions.

Little Giants : A really fun movie with all lead
actors being small kids.

Only when I laugh: A story involving a drug addict divorced mother and her sober daughter who tries to help her out of her problems. A touching one.

The Cutting edge : A romance flick involving
2 ice skaters, Moira kelly is so sweet in this one.

Punch Line : Starring Tom Hanks, Sally field.
You can see a young Tom Hanks showing
all his talents during his earlier days in this one
which actually brings out the "Actor" Tom
Hanks, he was considered just a comedian
those days.

The Man without a face: Starring Mel Gibson,
if I am not mistaken, this is the first movie
directed by Mel Gibson. A story involving a
professor wrongfully accussed of child abuse
and neglected by the society, meets a young
boy and helps him shape his life. A touching
movie.

Inner space: A sci-fi comedy flick starring
Dennis quaid, Meg Ryan and Martin short.
Excellent performance by Martin short who
overshadows Dennis quaid and Meg ryan.

Frankie and Johnny: one of the rare romance
movies starring "Al Pacino" ??? and Michelle
Pfiffer. Great to watch though.

Scent of a Woman: One of my favourites of
Al Pacino movies starring also starring
Chris o Donell.

Between the devil and the deep blue sea:
Starring Stephen Rea, a movie based on a
strage friendship between a sailor and a small
chinese girl. Touchy.

Patch Adams :One of Robin Williams' best
where he appears as a doctor who uses
unconventional methods to treat his clients.
Munnabhai MBBS/VRMBBS I think are inspired
from this one.

What Dreams my come: Another robin williams
movie, colorful, innovative. Great to watch,
also starring Cuba gooding Jr.

Central Do Brasil : A Brasilian movie, excellent
piece of work.

Plot : An emotive journey of a former school teacher, who write letters for illiterate people, and a young boy, whose mother has just died, in search for the father he never knew

Erin Brockovich: starring Julia Robers directed by Steven Soderbergh. Julia in a very different type of role and doing it
very well which got her many awards including an Oscar.

My best friends wedding : A nice comedy/romance movie with
Julia again.

Love Actually: seen very recently, a very hilarious movie.

The Runaway Bride: Nice one starring Julia Roberts and Richard Gere.

Nine Months :Another fun movie starring Hugh Grant and Jeff Goldblum which did not escape the eyes of our pundits and
eventually a rehash was done in Hindi as "Salaam Namaste".
Robin Williams does a cameo in this one which was done
by Abishek very well in the hindi version.

ramsri
17th November 2005, 10:22 PM
Frankie and Johnny: one of the rare romance
movies starring "Al Pacino" ??? and Michelle
Pfiffer. Great to watch though.

if you liked this film, you might want to check out 'Falling in Love' starring robert de niro and meryl streep. simple, yet beautifully made romance with good performances from the lead pair.

Patch Adams :One of Robin Williams' best
where he appears as a doctor who uses
unconventional methods to treat his clients.
Munnabhai MBBS/VRMBBS I think are inspired
from this one.

my personal robin williams favourite is 'Good Morning, Vietnam' in which he plays a wisecracking disc jockey struggling to deal with the pain of war. another great movie of his is 'Awakenings' - about a bunch of deathbed patients who stage miraculous recoveries after extended periods in coma. williams is uncharacteristically subdued as a doctor trying desperately to connect with his patients. also a mindblowing performance from robert de niro as a terminally ill man savouring his last days. amazing film.

Girish11
17th November 2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks ramsri for the recommendations :)
Shall try to get them.

One more of Robin Williams which I forgot to
mention earlier is The Fisher King. This is
actually the first movie of Robin Williams I
have seen in which the lead role is played
by Jeff Bridges and when I saw this movie,
I did not know anything about the starcast
and Robin Williams was impressive in this one.

A couple of more movies to add to the list,
directed by Barbara Streisand, worthy of watching:

The prince of tides

Mirror has 2 faces

Sinthiya
21st November 2005, 12:06 AM
Anyone seen 'Water'?

I'd like to hear some reviews from those who've seen it...

ssanjinika
21st November 2005, 11:01 PM
Saw the movie
Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire last weekend.
Its pretty good.But only people who have read the books and/or watched the previous movies would be able to get it.It has the biggest opening amongst all the HP movies and had the 4th biggest opening among all the movies released,which is saying something.Did anyone else watch it?

tfmlover
26th November 2005, 12:22 PM
saw harryptr , detrailed -adulterous affair people will think twice befr
is clive owen next 007? .

j.chenkalvarayan
27th November 2005, 09:19 PM
http://www.mediacircus.net/mysassygirl.html

my sassy girl.

Anoushka
28th November 2005, 03:08 AM
Saw Good Will Hunting yesterday. Good movie. :)

tfmlover
28th November 2005, 09:27 AM
i see lots chinese korean japanese .real good ones
saw korean with titles . rented
3-iron
hero does not even spk 1 word ,no dumb either
entire movi may be just 1 page dialog
i make sure i remove all those flyers from my door front porch
unique way to find if noone home , the hero delivers menu flyers
if not removed by certain time he breaks in
love grows with body lang, facial exprsions..but not a single word.
i stop here.
hard to copy but indians might try
vikram might try this movi

tfmlover
28th November 2005, 09:39 AM
dont miss this , old movi
The Bridges of Madison County

clint and meryl streep , characters revealed toppingly .rare exception . must seen
( saw many times..knw each line clint )

i guess clint did it for warner brothers

(IFU SEE DE POLICE ! WARN A BROTHER )

ssanjinika
28th November 2005, 08:14 PM
//Saw Bridges of Madison County//
Ive not watched the movie but have read the book.Found the book awesome but am a bit apprehensive about watching the movie.Most often than not I dont like the movie versions of the books Ive read.

Saw Fried Green Tomatoes last night.GOD love d the movie..found it endearing,poignant and amazing.

tfmlover
29th November 2005, 03:04 AM
i don read fiction..i dono why..the bridges of madison county..dialg good
'this kind of certainty comes along but once in a lifetime' clint made me cry..

usuly i love to see happily-ever-after type romantic british ones. one now running 'pride and prejudice'
Keira Knightley from , my home middlesex . will see tomrw .

'in her shoes ' good too .cameron..very youthful fr her age .witty
anyone saw zathura? bit like jumanji .will wait for dvd

if any british movie fans? .i strongly suggest ' i capture the castle '

svasu_ani
1st December 2005, 04:27 AM
i recently watched "one flew over the cuckoos nest" starring jack nicholson... its a 1975 movie.. which won oscar..

i like incredibles,
and some other movies i watched recently were

the longest yard
fever pitch
monster in law
the wedding date

NM
1st December 2005, 04:42 AM
svasu_ani : how were wedding date n monster-in-law? I haven't watched those yet..

svasu_ani
1st December 2005, 04:47 AM
svasu_ani : how were wedding date n monster-in-law? I haven't watched those yet..

comedy..time pass movies...

Anitha

tfmlover
1st December 2005, 10:07 AM
[quote="svasu_ani"]i recently watched "one flew over the cuckoos nest" starring jack nicholson... its a 1975 movie.. which won oscar..

yaa i love his acting..gr8 mocking his eyes looks

abbydoss1969
1st December 2005, 07:26 PM
[quote=svasu_ani]i recently watched "one flew over the cuckoos nest" starring jack nicholson... its a 1975 movie.. which won oscar..

Remade in malayalam with mohanlal and then in tamil also with prabhu in the lead (forget the name) and saranya with S A rajkumar's music.

ssanjinika
1st December 2005, 07:55 PM
[quote=svasu_ani]i recently watched "one flew over the cuckoos nest" starring jack nicholson... its a 1975 movie.. which won oscar..

Remade in malayalam with mohanlal and then in tamil also with prabhu in the lead (forget the name) and saranya with S A rajkumar's music.

Remade once more in Hindi with Salman and Kareena..released just recently declared a flop one week later :).Just cudnt keep up the beauty of the original.

tfmlover
1st December 2005, 11:18 PM
i dino this..
ethaithaan vittu vachaanga?..
nothing beats the real thing

svasu_ani
2nd December 2005, 05:04 AM
SOme more time pass movies

Pacifier
Ice princess
Lion King
Sahara

And I like Behind enemy Lines

tfmlover
2nd December 2005, 11:42 AM
Pride and Prejudice . remake this must be the best version
but...
real drag , knightley stunning evry angl
facial expressions , her costumes the way exprsing emotional state
cinematography and costumes . shooting in uk too
mr darcy too boring

Anoushka
6th December 2005, 03:49 PM
SOme more time pass movies

Pacifier
Ice princess
Lion King
Sahara

And I like Behind enemy Lines Lion King 1,2 &3 are some of my all time favourites... I've seen them that many times....

vingem
8th December 2005, 11:36 PM
day before yesterday i watched 'Cinderella Man' on DVD. such a beautiful movie. 10 mins into the movie after it started i was already feeing sad for the characters and i knew the movie was going to be good.do not miss this movie.
i liked this more than Rocky.

ssanjinika
8th December 2005, 11:54 PM
If u liked cinderlla man you will surely like Seabiscut.
Its an awesome movie with a somewhat similar story line.Uplifting the people at a time of immense despair.Its a story of hope and courage.Theres nothing sad about the movie ,its just touching.

Sinthiya
9th December 2005, 10:45 AM
i've seen Cinderella Man...great movie...too bad Crowe's not so great publicity ruined the opening...it didn't do so well in the box office...

i'd like to see Seabiscuit...thanks for the suggestion...

Sinthiya
9th December 2005, 10:51 AM
movies to see before the year ends:
-The Aviator
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

and some more..(i forget..) :)

Alien
10th December 2005, 09:55 AM
I saw Amelie ! A wonderful vibrant movie !
That character is the most attractive/pretty woman I ever found in films 8-) :)
The music was very pleasing too 8-)

vingem
14th December 2005, 12:23 AM
If u liked cinderlla man you will surely like Seabiscut.
Its an awesome movie with a somewhat similar story line.Uplifting the people at a time of immense despair.Its a story of hope and courage.Theres nothing sad about the movie ,its just touching.

yeah, i've seen Seabiscuit too. a pleasant , feel good & inspiring movie.
you must check out 'Crash' .it's not an inspiring movie like Cinderella Man or Seabiscuit, but its a good drama.i'm sure you would like it. this movie is from Paul Haggis, the guy who wrote Million Dollar Baby.

vingem
14th December 2005, 12:30 AM
movies to see before the year ends:
-The Aviator
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

and some more..(i forget..) :)
The Aviator was ok,Di Caprio did a good job.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, good movie but definitely not for everyone. a sort of movie which demands attention. might take more than 1 viewing to understand for some. after the movie you would surely think and spend some time to understand the movie. i liked it.

Sinthiya
17th December 2005, 10:17 AM
I recently saw Pride & Prejudice...it was a good remake...Knightley is beautiful but she didn't do justice to Elizabeth's role as I would have wanted...same goes for Mr. Darcy...

I prefer the P&P with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy; it was long, but well done...

Jane Austen novels are beautiful and witty...so this is definitely a fun, romantic movie... :thumbsup:

Sinthiya
17th December 2005, 10:21 AM
Chronicles of Narnia...a really interesting story of four siblings who enter the world of Narnia through a closet...

I'm not a fan of fantasy movies, but I enjoyed this movie...nice music as well...well done!

Anoushka
18th December 2005, 04:18 AM
I remembered a movie that I used to watch often... Meet Joe Black! A really lovely movie...

vizmaya
21st December 2005, 02:25 AM
Our Favourite movie list:

Movies-Erin Brockovich- Julie roberts
Negotiator-Samuel L jackson and Kevinspacy
The Transporter( Part 1)-Jason Statham(Action)
The Ring(Horror)
Cellular(comedy & action)-Kim Basinger & Willam H Macy&Chris Evans
The Monster- In- Law(comedy)-Jennifer Lopez&Jane Fonda
Pretty Women-Julie Roberts & Richard Gere
My Cousin Vinny-Wincent Gambiny
Gladiator-Russel Crowe
Collateral-Tom Cruise
Forrest Gump
Hide & Seek(horror)...............etc.

Vizmaya.

Sinthiya
23rd December 2005, 12:37 AM
[tscii:a68c8f9e52]
a sort of movie which demands attention. might take more than 1 viewing to understand for some. after the movie you would surely think and spend some time to understand the movie. i liked it.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...a 'nice' (after seeing this movie, I’m conscious of saying ‘nice’, cause I realize now how often I use it...), fun, intriguing movie...the concept of erasing someone from your memory is wild…

Yes, you’re right…I thought a lot about this movie after…one question still lingers…
I wonder why Jim Carrey told the Doctor he met Clementine at the picnic by the beach because he actually met her at the subway station though he had seen her by the beach…

fav scenes: Jim and Kate by the Charles river looking at the sky...their conversation when they met inside the train (too funny)...

Jim Carrey is awesome...his smirk, smile, and other facial expressions are great...
Kate Winslet is simply cool...

Overall, an interesting, fun movie…the ending is also nice…
[/tscii:a68c8f9e52]

Sinthiya
23rd December 2005, 12:41 AM
The Interpreter...a great thriller...Sean Penn is so real as usual...Nicole Kidman is good as well..

My fav scene: last scene where Kidman asks Zuwani to read the intro to the book...thought-provoking and sad...

overall a nice thriller to watch...

stranger
23rd December 2005, 05:33 AM
Our Favourite movie list: Movies-Erin Brockovich- Julie roberts

IMHO, it is a joke that Julia Roberts won an OSCAR for Erin Brockovich! She does not deserve an OSCAR for such a mediocre acting in that movie! :wink:

The worst part of "western culture" has been displayed in that movie:

JR will go to an "environmental-affairs office" to get some information to strengthen her case.

There will be a punk sitting there and will say "NO" to provide the information JR wants as it is of course ILLEGAL.

Immediately JR will unbutton her top and make her breasts revealing to that punk -in order to please him and, she will get the job done! :P I am sure, she would not have minded even to sleeping with him, to get the information she hneeded too- if that is what the price he was asking! :roll:

Yeah, In God We trust ! :rotfl:

vingem
24th December 2005, 12:43 PM
[tscii:dba92006e4]
a sort of movie which demands attention. might take more than 1 viewing to understand for some. after the movie you would surely think and spend some time to understand the movie. i liked it.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...a 'nice' (after seeing this movie, I’m conscious of saying ‘nice’, cause I realize now how often I use it...), fun, intriguing movie...the concept of erasing someone from your memory is wild…

Yes, you’re right…I thought a lot about this movie after…one question still lingers…
I wonder why Jim Carrey told the Doctor he met Clementine at the picnic by the beach because he actually met her at the subway station though he had seen her by the beach…

fav scenes: Jim and Kate by the Charles river looking at the sky...their conversation when they met inside the train (too funny)...

Jim Carrey is awesome...his smirk, smile, and other facial expressions are great...
Kate Winslet is simply cool...

Overall, an interesting, fun movie…the ending is also nice…
[/tscii:dba92006e4]

NOTE: DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU INTED TO WATCH 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' movie

its been a long time since i watched that movie i'll try to answer your question from what i remember. if i remember correctly.
Jim meets kate in the train on his way to Montauk (which is the first scene of the movie) this is actually after the memory erasure.
before the memory erasure the very first time they meet each other at a beach party and that is how they fall in love.
do you remember jim says on the phone to someone(don't remember whom) that he ' took the train to Montauk in a whim'.
in the end when jim memory is erased the last thing kate says in that house is 'Meet me at montauk', he somehow remembers that, well, subconciously. that is why he goes to Montauk during which he meets kate again on the train which happens to be the first scene of the movie.
this story is bit complicated to understand. so different and clever.
good movie on the whole.

svasu_ani
25th December 2005, 12:13 PM
shyamalan's signs and the sixth sense

Sinthiya
26th December 2005, 09:49 AM
NOTE: DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU INTED TO WATCH 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' movie
this story is bit complicated to understand. so different and clever.
good movie on the whole.
thanks for the information, vingem

i watched it for the second time after talking with another friend of mine about the movie and eventually figured it out...

you're right...it's different and clever... :)

Sinthiya
27th December 2005, 10:53 AM
million dollar baby...an awesome movie by clint eastwood!
hilary swank, morgan freeman and clint eastwood... :thumbsup:

i'm glad i finally saw it! :)

Surya
4th January 2006, 05:09 AM
Rumor Has It - Starring Jennifer Anniston.

I saw it a few days back. it's pretty good. I thought I was going to hate it @ first, but it was pretty funny. I'd recomend this movie to other for a good semi-romantic comedy. :D

Thiru
4th January 2006, 09:30 PM
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind... A very good movie but you need patience to watch this movie...

stranger
7th January 2006, 05:43 AM
Folks!

Watch "Presumed Innocent" *ing Harrison Ford if you have missed it. :)

It is a good drama (thriller) and the suspense is maintained all the way!

great
8th January 2006, 01:00 AM
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind... A very good movie but you need patience to watch this movie...

heard anbey aruyirae had shades of this movie... though i havent seen both the movies

great
8th January 2006, 01:04 AM
Swashank redemption ----* morgan freemen,Tim robbins

Italian Job gud one

The firm---its a good one

Scary movie except second one I and III is too good

Sinthiya
8th January 2006, 01:34 AM
yes...i liked Italian Job...great action movie...

great
8th January 2006, 07:34 PM
phone booth ...it good amazing screenplay

Traffic gud one ...zeta jones

NTR
12th January 2006, 10:54 AM
Cellular.. Action Masala entertainer..

great
13th January 2006, 10:02 AM
how is the movie RONIN by de niro

NTR
13th January 2006, 10:28 AM
The Chasing scene in Ronin always regarded as one of the best

great
13th January 2006, 10:30 AM
how is the movie overall ... i havent seen it, i am planning to buy the dvd thats y

Surya
17th January 2006, 04:06 AM
Great,
Opinions Differ! That phrase seems to be the most popular in the Hub now-a-days! :D

I loved RONIN! It's a CLASSIC! But Others might not, so I'd recomend that u watch the movie first before buying the DVD. I don't know how it is in Chennai, but here there are shops where u can rent movies and watch them. I think there should be a few of them also.

So my opin is that it's an excellent movie! :thumbsup: But watch it before buying it. :D

great
17th January 2006, 07:18 PM
in chennai, you get movies for rental...thats not a prob.....

great
17th January 2006, 07:40 PM
The Terminal, though simple film.....its simply the best movie......tam hanks at his best :thumbsup:

ssanjinika
17th January 2006, 08:59 PM
Mee too loved Ronin.The chase scene is simply too good.Ofcourse I like movies like that and as surya said opinions do differ .A few friends of mine didnt like the movie.BTW the new Italian job also has got some great chase scenes.Movie's also pretty good.
One of the movies I watched recently and greatly enjoyed is "The Sting".Awesome movie.Its an old movie *ing Robert Redford and Paul Newman.Great movie.

kannannn
19th January 2006, 05:17 AM
Yes, the chase scene was really good. That's my favourite chase scene in movies after 'The French Connection'.

Sinthiya
22nd January 2006, 10:43 AM
Memoirs of A Geisha...a great movie to see :)
well done!

Querida
23rd January 2006, 07:24 AM
Saw it!
Glad it did the best justice it could do for a novel.
though the english slowed it down the music was exiquisite
I liked all the actresses portrayal including Ken Watanabe.

Really liked Eternal Sunshine on Spotless Mind...it was moving and intriguing...watched on the plane going home from my trip...not the best to see then...cause the dwelling on memories triggered the waterworks :oops:

Watched K-Pax and Beautiful Mind...I liked them both very much...*I know that there must be something very remarkable about them if i am to watch them twice....I never like doing that...i think the only exception are songs....i think that's why i hardly ever am taken up by a tv show hype...

*I also watched Mad Dog and Glory...very good actors (Uma Thurman, Robert De Niro, Bill Murray)...found it kind of like a subtle comedy but somehow the actors were very under used..

will watch out for Ronin
i also watched girl, interrupted and as good as it gets...but i don't know don't seem as WOW as they were made out to be...for me anyways

*added later

Lambretta
24th January 2006, 11:38 PM
Back to the Future (Trilogy)
Advance aplogies if this has already been recommended in this thread b4......havn't gone thru all the previous pages yet! :)
Jus saw the 2nd part of this movie on AXN last night.....Michael J Fox's acting was brilliant in this......he reminded me a bit of myself in tense/dangerous situations! :)
We even had video cassetes of BTTF 1 & 2 at home many yrs ago.....tat was when VCRs were very popular! I'm not sure if those cassettes r still around! :)

Sinthiya
3rd February 2006, 10:38 AM
Saw it!
Glad it did the best justice it could do for a novel.
though the english slowed it down the music was exiquisite
I liked all the actresses portrayal including Ken Watanabe.

yes...I haven't read the novel...but the music was nice...very interesting to watch it...i'm eager to read the book and compare to how the movie was done...

Surya
4th February 2006, 07:50 AM
CRY FREEDOM!

- Starring Denzel Washington!

A Very Powerful Movie! With Very Powerful Dialouges and Scenes!! :clap: :clap:

It's about the South African Aparthied, and Biko's fight against it! :clap: :clap:

An Excellent Film!! :D :D :thumbsup:

I'd give it a solid A! :D

Lambretta
4th February 2006, 10:06 PM
Btw, neone seen ne scary movies at night lately?? I hap'd to watch Pet Sematary (based on Stephen King's novel) last night on HBO as I read the novel exactly a year ago.....altho the story was shorter than in the novel, phew, it sure was scary (expected tho)......looks like I chose a wrong time to watch it (night!).....! :shock: :oops:

Surya
5th February 2006, 12:01 AM
:lol: :lol:

But one should only watch these movies @ night! Appo thaan oru thrill irrukom machi! :)

Let's see....I saw Dawn of the Dead......:cry: SCARRRRRY!!!!

Sinthiya
5th February 2006, 05:04 AM
CRY FREEDOM!

- Starring Denzel Washington!

A Very Powerful Movie! With Very Powerful Dialouges and Scenes!! :clap: :clap:
if you liked Cry Freedom, i recommend 'The Constant Gardiner', a very powerful movie about the testing of drugs on people in Africa by the pharmaceutical companies...really sad...an eye opener!

Sinthiya
6th February 2006, 09:19 AM
Crash...one word...WOW

This is one of the best movies I've seen since The Constant Gardiner; a very real movie about love, tragedy, comedy, and reality...It's a multicultural movie that weaves people of different cultures, personalities and attitudes. It shows the kind of world we live in...and it's so real...

Querida
8th February 2006, 12:21 AM
How is the Constant Gardiner Sinthiya? What's it about? Who's acting in the main roles?

I watched Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine" and "Farenheit 9/11...both of them just at times astounded me...not because of what happened but how it still CONTINUES!!! :x

I would surely recommend both especially farenheit 9/11 but do keep an open mind, Moore of course is giving his opinion as as any good argument shows proofs that support and strengthen his points.

Sinthiya
8th February 2006, 09:55 AM
How is the Constant Gardiner Sinthiya? What's it about? Who's acting in the main roles?
The Constant Gardiner is amazing...i love the soundtrack, especially...it's a movie about the testing of drugs on people in Africa by the pharmaceutical companies...Ralph Fiennes stars and an actress (don't know the name)...

I would surely recommend both especially farenheit 9/11 but do keep an open mind, Moore of course is giving his opinion as as any good argument shows proofs that support and strengthen his points.
Seen Farenheit 9/11...you're right...keep an open mind cause it's Moore's opinion as well...but it really shocked me :o ...

Querida, have you seen Crash? see my quick review in previous post... :)

shambhavi
8th February 2006, 09:14 PM
hey another great movie is grey zone its about the concentration camps, starring harvey kietel and courtney cox's husband

abbydoss1969
16th February 2006, 07:29 PM
Pink Panther tops box office , but gets lousy reviews.

Roger Ebert says, there may be many James Bonds, and many actors may play Hamlet, but there is only one Inspector clouseau!

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060209/REVIEWS/60131010/1023

Querida
19th February 2006, 01:31 AM
Watched HEAT finally very good,
have Pacino's Serpico with me...I'm expecting it to be good...but is it exceptional?

Not so much a recommendation as it is an accomplishment...well for world movies anyways...but watched Mughal-E-Azam....the old version....must have taken me five hours :shock: but loved the sets and costumes..and of course Madhubala's acting...

Sinthiya
27th February 2006, 09:16 AM
Annapolis...ok...about a guy who wants to be in the Navy and then turns into a boxing match...

Firewall...good thriller, but I thought Harrison Ford looked very old and didn't suit the character in the movie well...interesting story...

When a Stranger Calls...scary..thriller...nice to watch...well done...

Surya
3rd March 2006, 03:32 AM
Sinthiya,
Isn't "When a Stranger Calls" PG-13 though? :?

Sinthiya
3rd March 2006, 08:40 AM
Sinthiya,
Isn't "When a Stranger Calls" PG-13 though? :?
:roll: ....and.... :oops:

selvakumar
3rd March 2006, 12:58 PM
"Catch me if u can" See this movie.. Teenages will become excited.. :clap:

Sinthiya
4th March 2006, 09:06 AM
"Catch me if u can" See this movie.. Teenages will become excited.. :clap:
a cool, fun movie to watch...tom hanks and leonardo di caprio were great....i started liking leonardo di caprio only after this movie.... :)

Thiru
4th March 2006, 09:33 AM
Just finished watching 'Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind'.... Amazing movie... I mean I havent been inspired by a movie like this for a long time... I would recommend this movie to ppl who like Drama..

Sinthiya
4th March 2006, 10:39 AM
Thiru...yeah it's an awesome movie....
really makes you think - very twisted story..i watched it second time to really understand and then talked to my friends about it too...
Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet were perfect....

alwarpet_andavan
6th March 2006, 02:05 PM
Just finished watching 'Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind'.... Amazing movie... I mean I havent been inspired by a movie like this for a long time... I would recommend this movie to ppl who like Drama..

Jim Carrey has never done a character like this before. Totally unlike him :)

rocketboy
7th March 2006, 11:10 PM
"A walk to remember" starring mandy moore. Soundtracks from Switchfoot and Jars of Clay booming throughout the film makes it even more pleasing to watch.One thing worth noting about these pro christian bands is that they play music with lot more fervour than the usual rock bands. The end product -totally mesmerizing . A very good romantic movie. i give it a 9 out of 10.

ramsri
13th March 2006, 05:36 PM
Watched "Boys Town" last week - Spencer Tracy won an Oscar for his role as the priest who starts a home for orphaned boys. Really good film - the climax is a trifle overdone, but otherwise a nice film to watch.

ramsri
13th March 2006, 05:54 PM

Jim Carrey has never done a character like this before. Totally unlike him :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Jim Carrey was even nominated for an Oscar for this performance. Hmm ... So much for recognition!
It's strange how some of Carrey's most mature and sensitive works (The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine) have gone completely unrecognized. Members of the Academy seem to have some kind of prejudice against this guy - 'coz if he's not winning anything for a film like this, when's he ever going to win?

ssanjinika
14th March 2006, 12:24 AM
Just watched Good Bye and Good Luck this weekend. Please watch this movie if you get a chance.There are no twists and turns in this movie..but the way its made and the acting makes this movie simply superb.Also the dialogues are awesome and brings alive 1950s America.Didnt think George Clooney had it in him.Hats off!! :thumbsup:

Sinthiya
15th March 2006, 10:01 PM
It's strange how some of Carrey's most mature and sensitive works (The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine) have gone completely unrecognized. Members of the Academy seem to have some kind of prejudice against this guy - 'coz if he's not winning anything for a film like this, when's he ever going to win?
i agree with you...i thought he acted very well in Eternal Sunshine too...very creative...

ramsri
16th March 2006, 05:51 PM
Didnt think George Clooney had it in him.Hats off!! :thumbsup:

He's really grown as an actor, hasn't he? I think 'One Fine Day' was the first film of his that I saw and I remember coming away completely unimpressed. But he's really matured as a performer now - some of his later works like 'Ocean's Eleven', 'O Brother Where Art Thou' and now 'Syriana' have established his acting credentials beyond doubt. It's good that he's being taken seriously now ...
And I really liked his acceptance speech at the Oscars this time!

alwarpet_andavan
16th March 2006, 07:14 PM
... But he's really matured as a performer now - some of his later works like 'Ocean's Eleven', 'O Brother Where Art Thou' and now 'Syriana' have established his acting credentials beyond doubt. It's good that he's being taken seriously now ...
And I really liked his acceptance speech at the Oscars this time!

Loved "O Brother..." and "Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind"....

Yet to see Syriana and GNGL.....

kannannn
16th March 2006, 08:20 PM
It's good that he's being taken seriously now ...

An article in 'Guardian' on Clooney's political leanings said, 'for the first time Clooney is talked about for something other than the women in his life'. In fact, he made the film to advance his views on liberalism and the threat of the 'Big Brother' attitude of the Republican government. 'Good Night, and Good Luck' is indeed a pleasant surprise from Clooney.

NM
22nd March 2006, 10:28 AM
I found Syriana a disappointment - very slow, weak plot and George Clooney hardly talked in the movie.

Flight Plan with Jodie Foster was also disappointing..

Yet to see Firewall (Harrison Ford) and GNGL.

Watched 'Signs' the other day ...that was good tho' the ending was a bit 'hung'.....perhaps the director was thinking of Signs part 2?

narayanan
26th March 2006, 03:39 AM
44 Minutes (based on the 1997 North Hollywood shootout)
Unmai(dubbed from Malayalam(The Truth), whodunnit thriller)
Goodfellas(pretty well known 90s hit mafia movie)
Der Untergang(controversial German movie, sympathising on Hitler - based on his last secretary and one more officer's biography)

Sinthiya
3rd April 2006, 08:14 PM
I watched 'Inside Man,' starring Denzel Washington, Clive Owen, and Jodie Foster. I'd say, one of the coolest movies of this year so far..

-awesome story...very well done...
-great hint of humour throughout...especially Denzel's part... 8-)
-Denzel Washington is as cool as ever, Clive Owen simply rocks and Jodie Foster is great...
-and something interesting....the intro scene played SRK's 'Dil Se' movie song (one where he's dancing on top of the train - 'Thaiya Thaiya'...)...i thought that was nice and was surprised when i heard it...:lol:

The movie is about a man (Clive Owen) who plans a brilliant robbery (or so-called) and Denzel Washington plays the detective/cop.

If you get a chance, watch it...definitely worth the watch.... :)

Surya
4th April 2006, 04:57 AM
KISS KISS BANG BANG - STARRING VAL KILMER!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: I saw it on the flight! HILARIOUS!! SERIOUS!! AWESOME! In the Genre of The Iraqi Wallclock I'd say! EXCELLENT!!! :rotfl: 8-)

Lambretta
4th April 2006, 09:35 AM
THE LOVE BUG- *ing 'Herbie', a 1960s VW Beetle tat acts almost human! :thumbsup: 8-)
Its a totally HILARIOUS movie....I'd first watched it on video yrs ago as a kid, then bought a DVD of the movie at Spencer's Plaza wen I was @ Madras last weekend! :D
Now altho the 'star' of the movie is the car, I can vouch its NOT jus for old car lovers! Definitely a must-see movie!

Kollywoodfan
5th April 2006, 04:32 AM
The Deep End of the Ocean
Donnie Darko
White Noise

Especially:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind *ing Jim Carey and Kate Winslet

-Excellent, fascinating concept...

Raikkonen
5th April 2006, 09:58 AM
Lamby, is that the race movie..
i shink the movie remade recently with Lindsay..

Lambretta
6th April 2006, 12:55 AM
Lamby, is that the race movie..
i shink the movie remade recently with Lindsay..
Yes its abt the beetle taking part in races/rallies......

And yea it was remade last year w/ a similar (if not the same) car! :)

Havnt seen tat tho....!

Raikkonen
6th April 2006, 08:38 AM
Ya the old one is classic..
The car wil go into goldmine.. that one was very funny part..

narayanan
6th May 2006, 03:35 PM
Kolly,
was Donnie Darko all that interesting :roll:

If you like heist movies watch Robert DeNiro's Score (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227445/)

shalushalu
7th May 2006, 06:11 PM
Am not an MI fan but was dragged to the cinemas by fellow friends. :shock: ...

Actually, I have not watched MI movies prior to this, but this one was pretty fine. Despite heading to watch it right after work and being very much sleepy and tired, my eyes were wide open thru out the entire movie. :shock: ...

Hmm ... so, tell me ?? Were the earlier MI's good ??

Hmm, in comparison with Lucky Number Slevin which I watched in early April, this was surely worth the money and time.

Adios, guys ...

Sinthiya
8th May 2006, 07:56 AM
Hey shalushalu :)....
Welcome to the hub and enjoy....

I recently watched Lucky Number Slevin as well, and I thought it was a creative movie...

"a very different revenge story...creative movie, well done...i liked it even though it's not my kind of movie....:)....

movie stars Josh Harnette (Slevin), Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Ben Kingsley (sp.), Lucy Liu...."

And I also watched MI3...and I agree with you....

it's an awesome, action-packed movie....I watched the movie not for Tom Cruise, but for the action and super stunts...I enjoyed this movie very much....:)

Thunderbird
8th May 2006, 08:57 AM
And I also watched MI3...and I agree with you....

it's an awesome, action-packed movie....I watched the movie not for Tom Cruise, but for the action and super stunts...I enjoyed this movie very much....:)

yes, I know that you won't :wink:

Sinthiya
8th May 2006, 09:04 AM
:roll:...how do you know that?

i don't like Tom Cruise....

bingleguy
8th May 2006, 09:22 AM
Liar Liar Liar ......

u ll laugh ur head off :lol:

ansa400
13th May 2006, 12:45 AM
"American History X" ( For those who don't mind watching some serious stuffs) - I saw this film recently . This movie deals with Derek who is a Neo-nazi & totally against blacks initially and the circumstances that forces him to change him completely. Dont miss this movie. This is one of the better movies on this subject.

Surya
14th May 2006, 03:26 AM
Oh Yeah! It was on HBO, or Showtime, or one of those movie channels right? Man! I only saw the ending...:roll: Realyl wanna see the whole movie when they air it again. Looks V.V.V Interesting!

SINTHIYA,
I saw a movie yesterday called "City Of God" I see that othe one that u recommended was City of GodS...Plural..but I'm not sure if this is the one that u talked about. :P

This one was about 2 black kids who become crime gods in this city in Cuba or something...reminded me A LOT of Pattiyal with Arya and Bharath.

Sinthiya
14th May 2006, 04:29 AM
Surya, yes I was referring to the movie, 'City of God'....same one you saw...about two gangs in the Rio de Janeiro...and a photographer and his life over the years...very powerful movie that really makes you wonder what happens around in our own cities and other countries too and how fortunate we are...

i saw the documentary feature after the movie and some members of the actual gang spoke as well as residents of Rio De Janeiro...really sad....how kids just grow up and start their own gangs :x ...sickening...and it never ends.... :(

yes, it's similar to Pattiyal from the reviews I've read...also Pudhupettai of Selva's is similar to City of God as well...

also, i don't recommend you watch this movie called 'Perusu' :oops: , but it's a very poor copy of that movie in Tamil ....i only watched first 20mins (couldn't bare to watch more) and i knew it was City of God when the guys started chasing the chicken and they show the photographer in a full circle from present to past....

ansa400
14th May 2006, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I've seen this movie. One of the most realistic gangster movie. I think its a brazilian movie with english s-titles. I guess Pudupettai should be on the lines of this movie.

NM
15th May 2006, 07:53 AM
V for Vendetta is nice..........it's not a totally violent movie.....

ssanjinika
16th May 2006, 02:07 AM
Munich.
Movie was really good.Stark and disturbing.Deserved an oscar for cinematography unfortunately didnt get one.

Raikkonen
16th May 2006, 08:47 AM
Da vinci code

Sinthiya
16th May 2006, 09:28 AM
yes..it's coming out May 19th....this Friday....

Raikkonen
16th May 2006, 09:47 AM
i watched in Thiruttu Hard Disk

Sinthiya
16th May 2006, 10:00 AM
for real?? :o.....

how was it???

Raikkonen
16th May 2006, 10:06 AM
do u have freeshare program?
Then u can watch any thiruttu movies for free...

i just watcehd 1st 10 mins..
I dunno beause yet to read the book

bingleguy
16th May 2006, 10:38 AM
SWORDFISH is an awesome movie ! i loved that ! except for some scenes, tis beautiful !
particularly the first bomb blast scene, which is shown by the cam rotating the area at the same instance ! simply superb

narayanan
16th May 2006, 09:03 PM
Swordfish is a nice "kaadhula poo" movie. The cars in the movies are awesome :) nothing short of Porsche, Beemers, Humvees. John Travolta is da man :D. Should forget all logic before the start though.

BG,
you might like Transporter and its sequel of you like Swordfish kinda movies.

girishk14
19th May 2006, 06:22 PM
For young teens, I would recommend Chronicles of Narnia. That movie was very good and the special effects were very good.

ansa400
19th May 2006, 09:49 PM
Has any1 seen the movie "Road To Perdition". I am downloading this movie now, will be seeing it 2morrow. Read some gud reviews. Any reviews here?

narayanan
21st May 2006, 09:12 PM
Saw 'Fargo' and 'Lord of War'. Both are good, I liked 'Lord of War' better actually, very novel theme. Would recommend 'Lord of War' if you have'nt already seen it, if you like it you might also want to try 'Constant Gardener'

ansa400
21st May 2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I've seen Fargo. A realistic movie.The lady who comes as investigator was particularly impressive, but I feel the end wasn't that good. I expected much more thrill.

narayanan
21st May 2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah, even I was expecting a thriller, rather turned out to be a re-enactment of a crime. Yeah I liked that Marge Gunderson character's acting too, she was very natural. I believe she won an Oscar that year.

Raikkonen
25th May 2006, 12:19 PM
Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind

:notworthy:

great
6th June 2006, 03:12 PM
watched Once upon a time in america !!!

No words to describe about this movie though the movie is slightly slow in initial scenes .... once Nuro starts his activities the movie gains its pace !!!

Direction is simply stunning !!!

Alien
7th June 2006, 09:19 AM
watched Once upon a time in america !!!

No words to describe about this movie though the movie is slightly slow in initial scenes .... once Nuro starts his activities the movie gains its pace !!!

Direction is simply stunning !!!
Have u seen "The good, the bad & the ugly" & "Once upon a time in the west" from the same director Sergio leone ! They are utterly stunning & deeply engrossing as well :thumbsup: ... Esp the scores of those films :thumbsup: ....

narayanan
7th June 2006, 05:58 PM
"The good, the bad & the ugly"

Lovely movie :P The movie has a very good theme music too.

Alien
7th June 2006, 06:41 PM
"The good, the bad & the ugly"

Lovely movie :P The movie has a very good theme music too.
yeah, utterly terrific theme music :thumbsup: ... Love that movie soo much ... :P

Surya
7th June 2006, 11:38 PM
Someone might have mentioned this before,

Has anyone seen American History X?

Excellent, Powerful Drama. It's about a Skinhead (Neo Nazi, KKK, White Supremist, etc) who goes through different stages of his life, and finally reforms himself. It's about Hate in General, and what Hate can lead to etc.

Very Powerful!! :thumbsup: