View Full Version : Which actor got benefited maximum out of IR

S.Balaji
19th July 2005, 09:26 PM
Wish to initiate discussion on this.

Those come to my mind immediately are :

1. Mohan
2. Sivakumar
3. Ramarajan

The list may be endless. Lets start this.

Sanjeevi
19th July 2005, 10:25 PM
I think

1) Kamal
2) Rajini
3) Mohan
4) Ramarajan
5) Sivakumar, Karthik, Prabu, Sathiyaraj, Vijayakanth
6) Vijay
7) Vikram, Surya

S.Balaji
19th July 2005, 10:31 PM
For instance - Sivakumar

Annakilli
Badrakali
Kavikuyil
Chittukurivi
Rosappu ravikkaikaari
Mudhal iravu
Unnai naan sandhithen
Naan paadum paadal

My God . The list is endless. Probably Sivakumar got maximum benefitted out of IR.

May be some of the above would not have been super hits but we remember those movies through IR only.

Sanjeevi
19th July 2005, 10:43 PM
Balaji, I think you are watching maily Sivakumar films only?

For instance - Sivakumar

Annakilli
Badrakali
Kavikuyil
Chittukurivi
Rosappu ravikkaikaari
Mudhal iravu
Unnai naan sandhithen
Naan paadum paadal

My God . The list is endless. Probably Sivakumar got maximum benefitted out of IR.

May be some of the above would not have been super hits but we remember those movies through IR only.

NormalMan
19th July 2005, 10:43 PM
U missed Sindhu Bhairavi

alias
20th July 2005, 12:29 AM
Also rajkiran.... though less movies but main benifactor.

ananth222
20th July 2005, 01:13 AM
I think this question can be best answered only if we consider how far the actor would have got WITHOUT the music of IR.
In that case you would have to ignore kamal and rajni cos they are still great actors.
And in that case I think that MOHAN will top the list without doubt!
Another name that comes to mind is Murali.
I think Sivakumar is a better actor than both of them, though he also benefited a lot frmo IRs music.

S.Balaji
20th July 2005, 10:50 AM
I think this question can be best answered only if we consider how far the actor would have got WITHOUT the music of IR.
In that case you would have to ignore kamal and rajni cos they are still great actors.
And in that case I think that MOHAN will top the list without doubt!
Another name that comes to mind is Murali.
I think Sivakumar is a better actor than both of them, though he also benefited a lot frmo IRs music.

Ananth,

You had hit the bull's eye. Yes, RK and KH are out of this list as they have been successful even otherwise. Probably Sivakumar also can be ejected but Mohan, Murali, Ramarajan, Rajkiran are all in the permanent list

rajasaranam
20th July 2005, 03:53 PM
you can also eliminate
Mohan, murali and Rajkiran
Mohan for his excellent facial expressions while singing the songs. it was amazing and he emotes well making us belive he is the real singer behind that mike.
Murali- has proved that apart from music he has some talent in acting too.
Rajkiran-has brilliant directorial/acting skills
hmmmm. the person left is
Ramarajan - yuk no expression, comes with 'hapdouser' with full of lipstick and 'kanmai', no acting skills. he was a zerooooooooooo yet managed upto becoming no.2, because of IR's music only.... :lol:

njv
20th July 2005, 07:27 PM
I can imagin MOHAN with out IR, but not with out SN Surendar. See what happened to Mohan after he split up with SNS. Anyways more than these actors, we benefitted a lot from IR songs.

S.Balaji
20th July 2005, 07:32 PM
I can imagin MOHAN with out IR, but not with out SN Surendar. See what happened to Mohan after he split up with SNS. Anyways more than these actors, we benefitted a lot from IR songs.

njv friend,

You are going out from the main topic. Pl get back to the issue. There is another thread for Mohan which comes "under Poor surendhar "

sivakumar99
21st July 2005, 10:54 AM
ONE WORD

" EVERYBODY "

S.Balaji
21st July 2005, 11:51 AM
SOmebody mentioned Rajkiran also. I feel RK is somewhat better as he can act decently and a good Director also.
My view is friend Ramarajan ( RR ) is the main beneficiary

njv
21st July 2005, 09:48 PM
SOmebody mentioned Rajkiran also. I feel RK is somewhat better as he can act decently and a good Director also.
:roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

S.Balaji
21st July 2005, 09:57 PM

Dear NJV,

I think you have lot of Kusumbu !!!!

Just joking !!!

Best regards

ananth222
21st July 2005, 10:47 PM

reminds me of a dialogue from s ve shekers "Periyathambi":

Periya pannai: "nethi tentu kottaiyula enna padam'le paathe"
Madasami: "En raasavin manasile"
Periya pannai: "Antha maayandi enna baathichchitaan'le"

S.Balaji
21st July 2005, 10:52 PM
Rajkiran definitely can do :

1. Direction
2. Acting - Hero
3. Acting - Character roles

I dont think he weighs on IR for his success though he worships IR to the core.

Ramarajan and Mohan are main beneficiaries

S.Balaji
21st July 2005, 11:02 PM
To some extent VIjaykanth also.

Amman Koil kizakaalay was the turning point of his career and IR was everywhere in that movie

Besides, IR had given many hits to VK

njv
21st July 2005, 11:45 PM

Dear NJV,

I think you have lot of Kusumbu !!!!

Just joking !!!

Best regards
No I dont have Kusumbu. If at all, it is you who have lot of kusumbu. Otherwise you wouldnt say

I feel RK is somewhat better as he can act decently and a good Director also.

Hey just kidding. Yes I do have lot of kusumbu. Illatti polaikka mudiyuma?

S.Balaji
21st July 2005, 11:57 PM
NJV,

I genuinely feel that RK has some stuff. To compare, he is better than RR . RR is full of lipstick , colour shirts and rose powder only and above all IR influence.

njv
22nd July 2005, 08:31 AM
NJV,

I genuinely feel that RK has some stuff. To compare, he is better than RR . RR is full of lipstick , colour shirts and rose powder only and above all IR influence.
now we are talking. If you compare RK vs RR, then RK is definitely better. RR is exactly what you said.

S.Balaji
23rd July 2005, 05:56 PM
We have not considered Sivakumar much as subsequently he proved to be a seasoned actor but the fact was that IR was instrumental in bringing back Sivakumar to limelight in the late 70s through his great music.

The late 70s were synonimous with the rise of IR and also rejuvenation of Sivakumar. But for IR, even SIvakumar would have disappeared.

vimalpercy
25th July 2005, 12:15 AM
Ramarajan's First film was a success for him which dont had the influence of IR. It was the film Karagatakaran which made a big hpye and linked RR with IR and from that onwards RR soley depended on IR's Music.
So it is fare to say that RR is one the actor who soley depended on IR music for his success ( i would add Kaundamani and senthil's Comedy also a factor along with IR music for the sucess of RR)

Mohan's case is one to one related where he relied on IR's song and also Ir's song relied on mohan's wonderful expression to make that song a hit.So in that case it is one to one and so +50 and -50 would make it nill.There are lot of films where the songs were super hit but the film flopped due to film and story.Eg Neethana andha kuyil of Barathyraja, Karuthamma , Mey Madham , sangamam etc etc.So just good music alone cant be a factor for the success of hero.

Sivakumar is a natural artist and gifted at that and was a product even before IR came to film industry and so i feel Ir's song was a influence for his success but not soley the music.

Murali is also a canditate where most of his successful films are helped by powerful music of IR. Eg Idhayam, pagal nilavu, where without the Music i doubt those films would have been as successful as they were and also Murali dont have a natural charisma which people like Rajani or kamal had.

looking forward to more comments

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 10:50 AM
Hello Vimal Percy,

Nice analysis but :

1. Ramarajan's first movie was engu ooru paatukaran , i think which was a hit due to IR only
2. Sivakumar was virtually out in the late 70s and it was IR who brought him to the front through his dominating music
3. Mohan - Ok 50 % as he was good at reacting well to songs

Ravi_odiyur
25th July 2005, 10:58 AM
I would vote for Ramarajan (1) and Mohan (2). But inspite of the loud trademarks of Ramarajan (garish colour shirts, lipstick, make-up and the likes), his movies were very decent (probably barring a few scenes). And yes, IR's music was a huge catalyst factor for his success. Infact I used to search for "Ramarajan Hits" in audio stores for the wonderful scores by IR in Ramarajan movies.

I don't think Sivakumar can be included in this list. Though his songs would've been hits, you cannot attribute the songs to Sivakumar (as we normally trademark a typical "Mohan song" or "Ramarajan song"). Moreover, Sivakumar is definitely a fine actor, whereas in case of Mohan & Ramarajan, their presence in a movie never played a significant role (in terms of looks, acting skills or charisma) for the movie's success. As Vimalpercy rightly quoted, it is the other criteria like story line, comedy, rurual setup and largely IR's music which contributed to the movie's success.

[This is offtrack - though Ramarajan was really popular around late 80s, I have hardly come across any interview of his in a magazine or on TV till date - any reasons?]

S.Balaji
25th July 2005, 11:31 AM
Dear Ravi,

Agreed Sivakumar is a fine actor but the fact was that by the mid 70s he was virtually out of the scene and it was movies like the following which brought him back and they are all known for IR only and not Sk :

1. Annakili
2. Kavikuyil
3. Badrakali
4. Chittikurivi
5. Rosapoo ravikkaikari
6. Aanandha ragam
7. Naan paadum paadal
8. Poondhalir

etc etc. All the said movies are famous only for songs and not for Sks acting.

vimalpercy
28th July 2005, 02:29 AM
Nice analysis but :

1. Ramarajan's first movie was engu ooru paatukaran , i think which was a hit due to IR only

I doubt that, i guess his first film was nama ooru nalla ooru where he is the director of the film and actor.

Let me know if i am correct or wrong

[This is offtrack - though Ramarajan was really popular around late 80s, I have hardly come across any interview of his in a magazine or on TV till date - any reasons?]

At the period, he was popular i guess for one single year, where he acted in like 12 or 13 films which was termed as record no of films for an actor in one year. So having acted in such no of films, i doubt he had time for interview in magazine etc.
But he was a popular gosip maker with names like Pasunesan , madunadikar etc etc, and one article came about him where it quoted that when they were shooting a film for him, some forigners were looking at the shooting and when they were told he is the hero, they just laughed and told that they thought he is a comedian.And other than that any magazine or Tv Channel would risk their pages or hours intervieing him??

with regards
vimal

S.Balaji
28th July 2005, 05:20 PM
Vimal,

For all his limitations, RR looked a bit lookable compared to other current heros. Sans his colour dressing.

nilavupriyan
28th July 2005, 05:32 PM
nearly everyone in 80's period.
but the order is
1)mohan
2)ramarajan
3)sivakumar
4)kamal and rajni(apart from ilayaraja their movies ran for their talent too)
5)and all others like prabhu and karthik

S.Balaji
28th July 2005, 05:35 PM
but the order is
1)mohan
2)ramarajan
3)sivakumar

Add Murali and

Thyagarajan to this elite list !!

nilavupriyan
28th July 2005, 05:38 PM
but the order is
1)mohan
2)ramarajan
3)sivakumar

Add Murali and

Thyagarajan to this elite list !!
how do i leave out murali.yes.he is one of the main guy.

S.Balaji
28th July 2005, 05:51 PM
For Vijaykanth,

Amman koil kizakaalay and Poonthota kavalkaran are turning point in career and IR was the main hero in those movies.

Hence, he was also a main beneficiary.

I will say 1000 times that Sivakumar was virtually out of the scene in the late 70s and it was IR who brought him back .

saradhaa_sn
3rd August 2005, 07:50 PM
Dear Balaji...

For Vijayakanth rarely one or two, as you mentioned...

But VK's movies mainly depends upon his stunt masters and diologue writers (especially against politicians and terrorists). Music is a secong thing for V.Kanth.

So, please dont add him in this list.....

S.Balaji
3rd August 2005, 08:08 PM
Dear Balaji...

For Vijayakanth rarely one or two, as you mentioned...

But VK's movies mainly depends upon his stunt masters and diologue writers (especially against politicians and terrorists). Music is a secong thing for V.Kanth.

So, please dont add him in this list.....

Saradhajii,

The stress here is - VK's turning point was - AKK movie and PKK and both were musical hits.
Later he created a fan following for him and set a pattern for stunt fights and new type of fighting scenes. He did change the pattern which was the same during MGR's days.
By the way, I am a big fan of VK also !!

app_engine
3rd August 2005, 08:28 PM
Even before AKK, VK got a big career boost in `vaidhEki kAthirundhAL' engineered by R Sundarrajan...otherwise, VK would have disappeared after doing a few SA Chandrasekaran & Rama Narayanan movies with red eye syndrome...

Prior to that he had the Tamil original of Andha kanoon as his biggest hit...and most of his initial hits were with S-G (one that comes to mind is sivappu malli with that beautiful `reNdu kannam sandhanakkiNNam')...

However, what made him into the real big league was pulan visAraNai (auto shankar stuff)...I'm not sure who was the MD...

It may not be appropriate to say VK got his career boosted by any MD IMHO...if anything, he was shrewd to choose at least some effective stories that clicked with TN audience...i.e. despite his screen presence:-)

S.Balaji
3rd August 2005, 08:42 PM
Even before AKK, VK got a big career boost in `vaidhEki kAthirundhAL' engineered by R Sundarrajan...otherwise, VK would have disappeared after doing a few SA Chandrasekaran & Rama Narayanan movies with red eye syndrome...

Prior to that he had the Tamil original of Andha kanoon as his biggest hit...and most of his initial hits were with S-G (one that comes to mind is sivappu malli with that beautiful `reNdu kannam sandhanakkiNNam')...

However, what made him into the real big league was pulan visAraNai (auto shankar stuff)...I'm not sure who was the MD...

It may not be appropriate to say VK got his career boosted by any MD IMHO...if anything, he was shrewd to choose at least some effective stories that clicked with TN audience...i.e. despite his screen presence:-)

App,

Nice that you pointed out Vaidhegee .... but again there was IR . All songs were awesome hits :

1. Raasathee onnai
2. Azagu malaraada
3. Enraikku en indha aanandhamay

I still remember that movie being talked about mainly for R.S. and IR and Revathy but not for VK.
Sattam oru irutarai - was the original one of SAk which is Andha kanoon
VK was smart enough to create a niche for himself by focussing on stunt movies and he also encouraged guys like ....... Roja's husband now ??? and made Pulan visaranai and also Aabavanan in OOmai vizigal. After that he looked back.
His peak was during the Chinna kaundar days along with , Maanagara kaaval , some Veerappan type movie ( that guy Mansoor alikhan playing Veerapan role )

S.Balaji
3rd August 2005, 08:43 PM
App,

MD of Pulan visaaranai was - IR only. That movie had just one song but was well known for BGM.

saradhaa_sn
4th August 2005, 12:56 PM
Dear Balaji...

Still I am not able to digest that Vijakaanth's movies were talked for music and songs. In his movies, songs and music will be a part, but not main. So we cant add him in the list "who benefited more by IR's songs". In fact you already omitted two main artists (Kamal & Rajini), who benefited more by IR, comparing to Vijayakanth. Same like them VK also improved for other talents apart from songs, so we should delete him from this list.

But if you take Mohan and Ramarajan, they are mainly benefited by IR's songs, without much other abilities. (Especially Mohan's films with Kovaithambi, which gave him a tilte as 'Mike' Mohan).

In Tamil cine field, there is a talking, do you know? That is:

During the story discussion of other actors, the director, story writer, producer, Hero.... all will discuss about the points:

"Who is the heroine.....??. (also howmany heroines)"
"Howmany songs we need for this movie.."
"What are all the song locations.."...etc.

But for Vijayakanth films, they will discuss about:

"Howmany Villains we need..."
"Howmany Jeeps and cars we need..."
"Howmany Guns, AK-47, Bullets, Riwalwer we need..." etc.

This talking itself will show clearly that Music and Song will never take main part for VK movies.

Comparing with his other hits, his musical hits (like Vaidgehi...., Amman Koil.... etc) are very few in percentage.

S.Balaji
4th August 2005, 01:38 PM
Dear Sharadhajii,

Given below was my posting on 28th July :

"For Vijaykanth,

Amman koil kizakaalay and Poonthota kavalkaran are turning point in career and IR was the main hero in those movies.

Hence, he was also a main beneficiary.

I will say 1000 times that Sivakumar was virtually out of the scene in the late 70s and it was IR who brought him back "

END

The point I have been highlighting is on the TURNING POINT FOR VK. Never I had mentioned that he was totally benefitted . Before Amman koil and Poonthottaa KK , VK was not moving forward except as APP mentioned earlier that Vaidhegi was another movie( even Vaidhegi was a musical hit with SUndarrajan's direction and Revathy's acting ).
VK' career took a turning point after these movies . However, he was smart enough to understand his strengths and limitations and started using new generation of directors - R.K. Selvamani / Aabavaanan - All from DFT
He worked on stunts / fights / Politics / corruption / national integration etc etc and strengthened his position later.
Yes, once that started clicking, MUSIC BECAME SECONDARY FOR VK'S SUCCESS FORMULA.

But ultimately, IR was instrumental in VK staging a comback though those 3 movies as they enabled him to get A FOOTHOLD in industry which otherwise he would have lost

Before these hits, he was not focussing on stunts , fights . Even in Amman koil - there will be a scene , fighting with Radha ravi and getting defeated also !!! which never happened after he re-positioned himself well .

S.Balaji
4th August 2005, 01:44 PM
Hello Sharadhajii,

You mentioned about Mohan and RR .

Mohan ------------- I think he did well in Mouna ragam. OOOOOops I have to search for some good ones !!. Apart from that , his lip expressions and reactions to songs were somewhat looking as if he sang those songs . In a way he had something in him

But RR -- only colour jigina shirts with all the flowers in the world .
Heavy lipstick

Heavy rose powder.

This thread exactly will fit him

saradhaa_sn
4th August 2005, 02:25 PM
Dear Balalji...

When Vijayakanth started his first movie "Sattam oru Iruttarai" with SAC, in the first films itself he was stamped as fighting artist. The next releases like 'Saathchi', 'Vetri'.. etc were also proved it and he was added to the group of MGR, Jaishanker, Ravichandran, Rajini (ie fighting group) and not with Shivaji, Muthuraman, Sivakumar, Kamal (ie acting group). So he established his career as a fighting actor only.

In the meantime 'Vaidhehi kaathirundhaal' and 'Amman koil kizhakkaaley' has come with the combination of R.Sundarrajan. It was incidentally happened and because of RS's alliance with IR only songs were super hit. One of the most benefited directors by IR is R.Sunder Rajan. At that time Vijayakanth was not out of market, and these movies are not bring turning point in his career.

His turning point is none other than 'Pulan Visaaranai' and 'Captain Prabhakaran' (both by IR, but music part in success is very less) from that movies, he found his route perfectly.

S.Balaji
4th August 2005, 02:38 PM
Dear Balalji...

When Vijayakanth started his first movie "Sattam oru Iruttarai" with SAC, in the first films itself he was stamped as fighting artist. The next releases like 'Saathchi', 'Vetri'.. etc were also proved it and he was added to the group of MGR, Jaishanker, Ravichandran, Rajini (ie fighting group) and not with Shivaji, Muthuraman, Sivakumar, Kamal (ie acting group). So he established his career as a fighting actor only.

Point taken. You are right but I DONT REMEMBER ANY MAJOR HIT FOR VK DURING THOSE TIMES UNTIL VAIDHEGI AND AMMAN KOIL.
Pl let me know apart from Sattam oru irutarai.

In the meantime 'Vaidhehi kaathirundhaal' and 'Amman koil kizhakkaaley' has come with the combination of R.Sundarrajan. It was incidentally happened and because of RS's alliance with IR only songs were super hit. One of the most benefited directors by IR is R.Sunder Rajan. At that time Vijayakanth was not out of market, and these movies are not bring turning point in his career.

R.Sundarrajan's greatest strength is his ability to create a situation and make IR come out with the best composition. Especially, Thedum kann paarvai thavika , Kuzaluudhum kannanukku, orusanam , vaa venilaa, raga deepam yetrum neram, saalaiyoram solaiondru , thogaelamayil aadivaruguthu , vaigarayil vagaikarayil , paadum vaanambaaadiii............. the list is endless and my fingers are paining !!!!!

His turning point is none other than 'Pulan Visaaranai' and 'Captain Prabhakaran' (both by IR, but music part in success is very less) from that movies, he found his route perfectly.

no doubt Pulan was his turning point but Amman was the launching pad for VK to reestablish himself in filmdom.

S.Balaji
4th August 2005, 02:42 PM
Hello Sharadhajii,

By the way, may I know why KB used - edhedho ennam valarthen........ in my opinion, the best song of Chitra and one of the masterpieces of IR .

Why KB could not use it in the main part of Punnagai mannan ??
Why he used it for titles only ??

Again, Vaanmegam poo poovai thuvum ............. I remember ... edho megam vandhadho ... mounaragam ....... both coming out in the same period.

Which picturisation was better in your opinion. I want your honest opinion !!!! ????

KB or MR ????

saradhaa_sn
4th August 2005, 04:31 PM
Hello Sharadhajii,

By the way, may I know why KB used - edhedho ennam valarthen........ in my opinion, the best song of Chitra and one of the masterpieces of IR .

Why KB could not use it in the main part of Punnagai mannan ??
Why he used it for titles only ??

Dear Balaji.....

Same like this, please go little back....

"Yezhu swarangalukkul eeththanai raagam"..... in my openion best song of Vani Jayaram and one of the masterpieces of MSV.

KB used that also as title song.
Same doubt came to me also.

S.Balaji
4th August 2005, 04:49 PM
Dear Balaji.....

Same like this, please go little back....

"Yezhu swarangalukkul eeththanai raagam"..... in my openion best song of Vani Jayaram and one of the masterpieces of MSV.

KB used that also as title song.
Same doubt came to me also.[/quote]

I think Srividya will be singing that song in an auditorium ..... thats how the picture starts ....... Am I right ? but atleast here , KB picturised it but I wonder why he missed out on Ededho ennam valarthen.....

By the way, Kelviyin naayaganay......... lovely song .......... Sri's beautiful eyes will search for Shivaji Rao Gaekwad !!!! and Loganathan's camera will also search .............
In between the frustration of Kamal and he sits with Major....
Jayasudha covneying her happiness on seeing her mother....

all well shot.... nice song... by VJ

S.Balaji
4th August 2005, 05:12 PM

VJ's another classical song - Naadhamennum kovililay ......
Oray naal unai naan........
Naanay naanaaaaa..........
Romba naalaaga enakoru aasai........
Oray jeevan onray ullam......... ( eventhough copied version )
Anbu maygamay endru odivaa.

Sometime back I saw VJ in Jaya tv music programme being conducted by Vijay Adhi raj.......
The same golden voice still intact ................ amazing.........

saradhaa_sn
4th August 2005, 06:36 PM
Dear Balaji...

You mentioned about one of my great favourite song "Kelviyin Naayagane" by Vani & Sasirekha.

If you listen each and every line of that song and its meaning, Kavinger Kannadasan tells the complete story of Apoorva Raagangal, in that one song.

Every line is a power packed one.....

By the way, you mentioned some songs of Vani Jayaram. If you go to Vani jayaram thread, there are hundreds of Vani's good songs available in full version.

S.Balaji
4th August 2005, 06:51 PM
[quote="saradhaa_sn"]Dear Balaji...

You mentioned about one of my great favourite song "Kelviyin Naayagane" by Vani & Sasirekha.

If you listen each and every line of that song and its meaning, Kavinger Kannadasan tells the complete story of Apoorva Raagangal, in that one song.

Every line is a power packed one.....

Thats what I have been highlighting about KB in some earlier postings in KB vs BR. Thats his greatest strength. Most of his YESTERYEAR songs were all situation songs.

By the way, do you recollect one shot --- Kamal will try to go out of the house and SV will be watching that from house top. KB will show the shadow coming before KH and will show KH stopping on seeing the shadow !!
Nice scene it was from ARagangal.

Also, while in a hotel having chat with his comrades, there will come an announcement - so and so song ....... Ragam Bhairavi......... Immediately.... KH will decide to go back home!!!

These are all KB touches .

My concern on KB is that at times, he will do it forcefully and it becomes quite irritating.