PDA

View Full Version : Rahman: I'm done with period films

dinesh2002
19th July 2005, 07:04 PM
Rahman: I'm done with period films

Subhash K Jha | July 19, 2005 12:51 IST

A R Rahman has had enough of period films. In fact, he has decided that Mangal Pandey: The Rising will be his last period film.

"(I've done) Too many period films in Hindi -- 1947: Earth, Zubeidaa, Lagaan, The Legend Of Bhagat Singh, Water, Bose: The Forgotten Hero, Kisna," he explains. "I've worked hard on each of the themes but the end result hasn't been worth it. The songs were either pushed into the background or not used at all. Or worse still, used badly. I feel very frustrated by this. But what can I do? Composing tunes is my job. How they are used is not up to me."

For example, Rahman was unhappy with the way Subhash Ghai used his track Hum hain iss pal yahan in Kisna. "Though it was a love ballad, it wasn't sung by the lead pair (Vivek Oberoi and Isha Shervani). It was placed in the background. That killed the song's impact."

Mangal Pandey: Music Review

But the worst experience was Bose: The Forgotten Hero. "It's become Bose: The Forgotten Music," Rahman jokes. "Sahara had promised a grand launch for the music and a grand premiere for the film. But none of it happened. I had worked really hard on the music but it came to zero. But after Zubeidaa and Bose, I'm doing another film with Shyam Benegal. It's a full-on musical."

Now, Rahman hopes to make contemporary music. "All my Hindi assignments at the moment including Rakesh Mehra's Rang De Basanti and Abbas Tyrewala's romantic film are contemporary subjects. I'm done with period films now. I think Mangal Pandey would be last film of that ilk."

Rightfully proud of his compositions in the just-released Mangal Pandey, Rahman reveals how he had been offered three films about freedom fighters including Roland Joffe's The Invaders. "But I chose Mangal Pandey. Yeah, the fact that Aamir Khan was in it did influence my decision. Aamir and I gelled well during Lagaan. In fact, I'm really proud of my work in Lagaan and 1947-Earth, which also starred Aamir."

Water, the last part of Deepa Mehta's trilogy, after Fire and 1947-Earth, is now ready for release. It's the first project where Rahman has scored the songs but not the background music. "I moved away because of the controversies surrounding the film. What's the point of creating music for a project that makes some people unhappy? But I saw Water recently. And it took my breath away."

Does Rahman have any favourites among the current music composers? "I like M M Kreem's music. His Jadoo hai nasha hai in Jism was a surprise. And I like a couple of Pakistani songs which have been used in Hindi films like Murder," he signs off.

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/jul/19rahman.htm

alias
20th July 2005, 12:35 AM
I think once in a while should be good and also Water is there.

njv
20th July 2005, 02:30 AM
Period movie in Hindi movies are becomnig a joke, specially after Kisna. As long as ARR work with any good directors, it doesnt matter what type of movie it is.

For mass hit, he can always work in any Tamil film, because TF is totally into "Aruval" culture. It would be interesting to see how ARR score for one of Vijay's movie, specially the one thats going to have blood bath in it. AARRRrrrrrrrrrrrr

Shankar
20th July 2005, 11:54 AM
for once BG score will be apt...Those screamings (in the BG) would gel with what's happening on screen :-)

NOM, ARR fans...

interz
20th July 2005, 05:16 PM
who told me rising was not period movie???

you'r proven wrong.

rahman admits it himself.

coucou
21st July 2005, 12:19 AM
[tscii:a31473da30]http://www.musicindiaonline.com/ar/i/music_director/1288/3/general/3/
Interview : A R Rehman brilliantly going ahead

Printer friendly page

Indian music wizard AR Rehman has enthralled with his resounding music time and again. His music is universal and one can hear him everywhere. He sounds in satellite channels, discos, festivities, and all over the place. He is certainly the uncrowned king of the music world, a celebrity in his own right, a music composer who is going to set out for the globe soon. He has composed all kinds of music but in the recent times one can see him concentrating more on the period films. ‘Mangal Pandey - The Rising’ being the recent one form his kitty. However, he has decided to bid adieu to period films for the time being.

Excerpts from the Interview:

Why have you taken the decision to drift yourself from period films?

Over the years I’ve done many Hindi period films. The list reads ‘1947: Earth’, ‘Zubeidaa’, ‘Lagaan’, ‘The Legend Of Bhagat Singh’, ‘Water’, ‘Bose: The Forgotten Hero’, ‘Kisna’ and the recent ‘Mangal Pandey - The Rising’. Composing music for a period demands lots of dedication and research. I have put in my best efforts for all these films but I’ve not been contended with the result it has yielded.

Why do you believe so?

The result is obvious and one can see it before the eyes. The songs have not got their due as far as the cinematography is concerned. They were either placed in the background, used poorly or were not used at all. As a composer this definitely hurts. I’ve got aggravated and annoyed with this thing. But I’m helpless, I’m left to swallow my own anger. The filmmaker knows how to better put the songs and my work is only to compose them.

Which are the films that have made you feel that your songs were not placed correctly?

To start with Subhash Ghai’s ‘Kisna’. ‘Hum Hain Iss Pal Yahan’ was an enchanting love ballad and it was due to be sung by the lead pairs Vivek Oberoi and Isha Shervani. However this didn’t happen and the song was instead put in the background. The value of the song got lost due to it.

There was a bitter experience in ‘Bose: The Forgotten Hero’. I had built the music with great efforts. The producers of the film Sahara had assured me a grand launch for the music and also a grand premiere for the film. I was surprised when nothing took place. I’ve been associated with Shyam Benegal for ‘Zubeidaa’ and ‘Bose’ and I’m also doing another full musical venture with him.

Are you certain that you’re going to burn your fingers no more composing periodic music?

For the time being I’m sure about it. I believe that ‘Mangal Pandey’ is my last period film. I did ‘Mangal Pandey’ only for the sake of Aamir Khan because ever since ‘Lagaan’ we share a very good rapport. I’ve also composed for him ‘1947-Earth’. Right now I’m doing only contemporary Hindi assignments. My projects in the pipeline include Rakesh Mehra’s ‘Rang De Basanti' and Abbas Tyrewala’s romantic film. Both of them have modern subjects.

How well is your mega-musical production ‘Lord of the Rings’ progressing?

I’m all ready to release it in London in 2006.

But London had the recent terrorist attack!

So what! I’m not scared. Music is all about spreading peace and everything comes after it. It gives the glimpse of civilization and humanity that is still alive.

What are you other plans?

Loads of world tour on the cards. By the end of July I’ll set for UK for the world musical tour. I try to give dimension to my music and offer the audience something different. I’ll complete my world tour in Bangalore. Here I’ve planned an innovative three-dimensional concert that is going to be refreshing and revitalizing. I just plan to keep going!

[/tscii:a31473da30]