PDA

View Full Version : Sarasa Nethra and Vara Leela Gana lola

viggop
18th July 2005, 12:51 PM
Where can i get to hear the songs Sarasa Nethra in the internet?
I heard "Vara Leela Gana lola" of bombay sisters from musicindiaonline but their rendition looks very short to the rendition of unnikirishnan which i heard and liked very much.

Are there any other classical songs in such western style of music?i have heard dikshitar did compose one based on english national anthem.what is that? any other composers have composed using western music style

rajraj
18th July 2005, 06:22 PM
viggop: 'vara leela gaana lola' was also sung by Sirkazhi Govindarajan and Sirkazhi Sivachidambaram. 'raghu vamsa sudhampudhi chandra' is another one with western shade. 'gatha moha' in SankarabaraNam can be sung like a western piece. The raga has a western equivalent.

rajraj
18th July 2005, 06:50 PM
viggop: I forgot to add. 'giriraja sudhaa thanaya' and 'raminchuvarevaruraa' are said to be based on wetern band tunes.

viggop
18th July 2005, 07:54 PM
thanks rajraj
what was the song Dikshitar composed based on english national anthem?

rajraj
22nd July 2005, 10:30 AM
what was the song Dikshitar composed based on english national anthem?

viggop: I am trying to recall that song. I read somewhere about it. The others-raghuvamsa, raminchuvarevaruraa and giriraja were familiar because I have listened to them a lot.

meena
22nd July 2005, 10:59 AM
[tscii:b858f927f0]viggop/rajraj

>>>what was the song Dikshitar composed based on english national anthem?

MD's nottuswara-Santatam Pahi Mam Sangita Shyamale’ which is set to the same tune as ‘God Save The King’![/tscii:b858f927f0]

rajeshrs_tvm
25th July 2005, 01:33 PM
Muthuswami Dikshidhar's " Syamalae Meenakshi Sundhareshwara saakshi....." This composition is based on Shankarabharanam, and I think this song too follows western notes.
This song can be heard at the end of the Ragotsavam program
(Every Sunday at 9:00 p.m. in Kairali TV), sung by Chithra, and music by M.jayachandran.

viggop
25th July 2005, 05:12 PM
During his stay in North Madras, he had an oppurtunity to listen to Western music. Based on that he has composed many songs in western pattern. They are useful in learning to play a western instrument like Guitar or Piano. Based on Western style he has created new ragas like Tarangini (Maaye Maam) Varasiva Balam, Sakti Sahita, Shyamale Meenakshi,Rajiva lochana, etc in Sankarabharanam in Western G Major scale. (In the Applet click on About Dikshitar to hear Varasiva Balam kriti in Guitar )

viggop
25th July 2005, 05:16 PM
Dikshitar had occasion to listen to Western Music when he came in contact with officials of the East India Company and their English Musical band. His younger brother, Baluswami Dikshitar, who was initiated to learn European violin by the patron Manali Chinnaswami Mudaliar, introduced the violin into Carnatic music. With this influence, Dikshitar composed many kriti-s under the classification of Nottu Svara Sahitya-s, all in the raga sankarabharanam in different tala structures. All of these are extremely melodious, and some of them resemble Western tunes. For example, the kriti "santatam pahi mam sangita shyamale" is a Marching Song, which can be sung in a chorus, to the tune of "God save the King"! The following is a complete list of kriti-s in this group (note that since all of these songs are in raga sankarabharanam, we only provide the tala-s in this list): anjaneyam (tishra eka), chintayeham (chaturashra eka), dasharate (tishra eka), dhinabandho (tishra eka), guruguha sarasija (chaturashra ekam), guruguha pada pankaja (tishra ekam), gurumurte (rupakam), he maye (tishra eka), jagadisha (chaturashra ekam), kamalasana (chaturashra eka), kanchisa (tishra eka), maye chitkale (tishra eka), muchukundavara (tishra eka), pahi durge (chaturashra eka), pahimam (tishra eka), pankajamukha (tishra eka), paradevata (tishram), paradevate (rupakam), parvatipate (chaturashra eka), pitavarnam (tishra eka), rajivalochanam (tishra eka), ramachandram (chaturashra eka), rama janardana (tishra eka), sadashiva (chaturashra eka), sakalasuravinuta (chaturashra eka), shaktisahita (tishra eka), samaganapriye (chaturashra eka), shankaravara (rupakam), santanasaubhagya (tishra eka), santatam govinda (tishra eka), santatam pahi mam (tishra eka), somaskhandam (tishra eka), sri shankara (tishram), shyamale meenakshi (chaturashra eka), vagdevi (chaturashra eka), vande meenakshi (chaturashra eka), varadaraja pahi (tishra eka), varashivabalam (chaturashra eka),

ts
25th July 2005, 05:48 PM
During his stay in North Madras, he had an oppurtunity to listen to Western music. Based on that he has composed many songs in western pattern. They are useful in learning to play a western instrument like Guitar or Piano. Based on Western style he has created new ragas like Tarangini (Maaye Maam) Varasiva Balam, Sakti Sahita, Shyamale Meenakshi,Rajiva lochana, etc in Sankarabharanam in Western G Major scale. (In the Applet click on About Dikshitar to hear Varasiva Balam kriti in Guitar )

Manali actually... He was staying in Manali with his host, Sri Muthukrishna Mudaliyar. The music he listened to was by the British band at the Fort St George.

Tarangini is a ragam that was existing before his days. It is the equivalent of Charukesi of the Sampoorna melakartha scheme. Dikshitar Followed the asampoorna mela scheme of Venkatamakhi where the melam is called Tarangini.

The popular version of Maye is a corrupt one where it is sung with "Chatursruti" Dhaivatham and by Naming the ragam as "Suda Tarangini".

The original version given in the Sangita Sampradaya Pradarsini of Subbarama Dikshitar (Grandson of Sri Baluswami Dikshitar) is listed under Tarangini and uses Shudda Dhaivatham akin to Charukesi.