PDA

View Full Version : Songs from "Pagalil oru nilavu"

S.Balaji
16th July 2005, 04:57 PM
Those who belong to the late 70s definitely would remember this lovely song composed by none other Ilayaraja and its a lovely song. Sung by Janaki with chorus . I dont remember the movie but its one of the masterpieces of IR.
This song brings out the creativity of IR.

Anybody can vouch for this song please

S.Balaji

S.Balaji
16th July 2005, 04:59 PM
Dear Friends,

May I know the name of the picture in which this song comes

tvsankar
16th July 2005, 11:59 PM
Dear Balaji,
This is the link.Enjoy.This song was put in this thread .Yes.This is a experimental song by IR.Instead of usage of instruments ,he uses the chorus.Beautiful song.
Pick #111

http://tfmpage.com/stream/songs/thaam_poi.rm

Song: thaamtha theemtha
Film: pagalil oar iravu
Singer: Sjanaki
Lyrics: kaNNadasan
Music: iLaiyaraja.
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

S.Balaji
17th July 2005, 12:57 PM
Thank you very much Ushaji. Yes yes, I am just humming the song now and what a creative thinker our IR is. Few people will dare to experiment like this song which IR did.

Thank you once again.

S.Balaji

baroque
19th July 2005, 03:26 AM
Friend, I see you starting a thread for each song!!!!! Please join the people in 'IR composing tech' thread, start analysing one song at a time. Just a suggestion....

S.Balaji
19th July 2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks.

I will join the IR songs thread in future.

njv
19th July 2005, 06:35 PM
S Balaji

Are you the one from NJ who won the IR Quiz in 89.3 FM and won TIS CD?

S.Balaji
19th July 2005, 07:18 PM
S Balaji

Are you the one from NJ who won the IR Quiz in 89.3 FM and won TIS CD?

No dear , I am from Mumbai basically . At present in Uganda

mr_karthik
7th October 2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks Balaji & Usha Shanker.

I heared that song and feel very nice. Good job by IR.

(By the way, balaji sir, now I understood about your location.

Pearl of Africa = Uganda).

S.Balaji
7th October 2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks Balaji & Usha Shanker.

I heared that song and feel very nice. Good job by IR.

(By the way, balaji sir, now I understood about your location.

Pearl of Africa = Uganda).

Dear Karthik,

Yes, I am in Uganda now ...

This song was a special and unique one from IR... Will be very melodious.

As mentioned by Ushaji... IR tried a variety ... He used Chorus as instruments ! and came out fantastically well...

Incidentally, through this thread only I joined TFM ! :o

app_engine
7th October 2005, 08:18 PM
While this song alone may not deserve a thread, the album does:-)

`pagalil oru iravu' by I V Sasi had the following songs:

-`iLamaiyenum poongAtRu, pAdiyadhu Or pAttu' evergreen melody by SPB & Chorus...with special prelude & interludes...1000 thadavai kEttum alukkAdha pAdal...

-`thAmtha dheemtha' unique percussion arrangement when released (repeated later in some songs by Raja...probably Rajiv Menon or ARR felt compelled to use this IR's `signature' when they used the pattern in KKKK in the aish voice test scene...BTW, is GA the actor for this scene?)

-`ponnAram, poovAram' with a special wind instrument (what is it BTW?) following SPB, this is a melodious treat...especially saraNaththil konjuvAr appadiyE...`medhuvAga thAlAttu sol thendRalE, sol thendRalE...mElAdai sadhirAda vA thendRalE, vA thendRalE...siRiya idai etc....finally, vAAA srungAram kalaiyAdha dheivAmsa rANi, kAlamellAm thEn nilavu dhAAAn'...very sweet song

-`thOttam koNda rAsAvE, soodikkoNda rAsAththi' - again a folk song with a novel percussion pattern for the time of release, instant hit and popular among youths...still maintaining a level of polish & sophistication, with some nice chorus

All these songs had so much of Raja enthu packed in them...youthful exuberance all the way, coated with honey & karumbuchchARu...

S.Balaji
7th October 2005, 08:56 PM
[quote="app_engine"]While this song alone may not deserve a thread, the album does:-)

`pagalil oru iravu' by I V Sasi had the following songs:

-`iLamaiyenum poongAtRu, pAdiyadhu Or pAttu' evergreen melody by SPB & Chorus...with special prelude & interludes...1000 thadavai kEttum alukkAdha pAdal...

True... especially for the words.... MANGAI ENAMUM MANNAN ENAMUM, KULAMUM GUNAMUM ENNA...KETKA THUDITHAAL....

Rajavukku Saranam saranam saranam...

-`thAmtha dheemtha' unique percussion arrangement when released (repeated later in some songs by Raja...probably Rajiv Menon or ARR felt compelled to use this IR's `signature' when they used the pattern in KKKK in the aish voice test scene...BTW, is GA the actor for this scene?)

Yes, Gangai was the actor briefly... He will scream... enna edhu.... .lalalalalalala......

Do you recollect IRU PARAVAIGAL MALAI MUZUVADHUM.... From Niram maaradha pookal.....
IR used the same approach before the song..

Thats IR style ...

S.Balaji
7th October 2005, 09:02 PM
App....

Besides, Niram maaradha pookal song.... IR used the same rhythm for the song... Devan koil Deepam onru...

From Naan paadum paadal...

Sweet Honey coated song.... its POOR SURENDHER and SJ....

rajasaranam
7th October 2005, 11:42 PM
Another song from 'Karaiyellam Shenbagapoo' namely 'Eriyilae Elantha maram' also had same unique pattern of choral orchestration with minimal usage of instruments. Excellent song. Experimentations like these gave hope for other MD's like ARR who used full choral backing with no instruments at all in 'Raasathi' from 'Thiruda thiruda'. While the formers songs had all the elements of a great WCM orchestration using only human voices. The laters had just simple chorus humming while the main soloist sings. IR once again broke the rules with his 'Sundari poranthu' from 'Maya bazaar' giving the illusion of a complete Orchestra with human voices alone without using any instruments for a Cheerful song like this.

my two cents

tvsankar
8th October 2005, 06:57 PM
Dear all,
IR songil chorus patri niraiya
pesalam.He Used so many types of chorus.Reallly all are great to hear!!!!
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

S.Balaji
12th October 2005, 08:52 PM
Dear all,
IR songil chorus patri niraiya
pesalam.He Used so many types of chorus.Reallly all are great to hear!!!!
With Love,
Usha Sankar.

yes yes... IR was a specilist in chorus oriented songs . For ex :

1. Raja chinna raaja pondhaliray... from Poonthalir... the song itself will start with heavy chorus
2. Devadhai ilam devi ... For SPB ..again ...nice chorus...
3. Iru paravaigal ..... Niram maaradha pookal
4. Kadhal oviyam...paadum kaaviyam...
5. Anjali anjali anjali
6. Naan oru pon oviyam Kanden idhilay
7. Kadhal mayakkam... Pudhumai penn
8. Adho andha nadhiyoram... from Ezai jaadhee.

the list will continue

app_engine
19th October 2005, 07:46 PM
How did I miss another great song from pagalil oru iravu?

`kalaiyO silaiyO idhu pon mAn nilaiyO'...excellent singing by JC.

The revised list:
-thAmtha dheemtha (SJ)
-iLamai enum poongAtRu (SPB)
-ponnAram, poovAram (SPB)
-thOttam koNda rAsave (IR)
-kalaiyO silaiyO (JC)

all gems...

S.Balaji
19th October 2005, 09:37 PM
How did I miss another great song from pagalil oru iravu?

`kalaiyO silaiyO idhu pon mAn nilaiyO'...excellent singing by JC.

The revised list:
-thAmtha dheemtha (SJ)
-iLamai enum poongAtRu (SPB)
-ponnAram, poovAram (SPB)
-thOttam koNda rAsave (IR)
-kalaiyO silaiyO (JC)

all gems...

App....

Now I am imagining myself to be Guna Kamal....

ADHU ENNA MAAYAMO THERIYALA..... YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY MADE THE MODERATORS... TO CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE TO PAGALIL ORU NILAVU.....

Hats off... :oops: