PDA

View Full Version : A.R.Rahman + Shankar Combo Albums

dinesh2002
16th July 2005, 04:50 PM
Gentle Man - Shankar's first movie "Gentle Man" had the best action Indian movie goers ever have seen. The movie was a superhit and the item number "Chikku Bukkku Chikku Bukkku Raile.." by Prabhu Deva and Gauthami made waves all over India.

Kadhalan - This was Prabhu Deva's first movie as a hero. The dance sequences became scintillating for the youth and kept them on the heels. The song "Mukhabala, Mukhabala..." and "Urvashi..." exhibited the best talent in Prabu Deva as a dancer.

Jeans - Jeans made big news because it featured the beautiful Miss.World, Aishwarya Rai. The music was excellent, even now the songs are worth hearing. The Song that compares a woman's beauty with the 7 known wonders of the world is a very rare craftsmanship in Lyrics, Music and the way it was picturized. The Picturization of Aish together with the computer generated Aish was a masterpiece for Shankar's Direction in this tech savvy world..

Indian - Kamal Hassan's who plays a dual role - one as patriotic and the other a notorious, who gets killed for not being honest made a sweep where all its released. Manisha Koirala and Urmila Matondkar co-starred with Kamal, and the music is so pleasing to ears that were choreographed in an appealing way.

Mudhalvan - Arjun's One day Chief Minister assignment in Mudhalvan was the fifth hit for Shankar in Tamil. Asha Bhonsle's "Mudhalvane..." * was melodic and Shankar was at his best in picturizing it.

* Mistake on website,its by S.Janaki

Boys - Shankar and Rahman have been always been a winning combination. Incidently Rahman has composed for all the Shankar movies. Boys will be their sixth film together. The music has already done very well - it has topped the charts ever since the album was released. In Boys, Adnan Sami and Lucky Ali sing a Tamil song for the first time. Vasundara Das, Karthik, Tippu, Dimmi, Kunal, George, Clinton and Chitra Shivraman are the other singers.

http://www.nowrunning.com/msites/boys/tab2.asp

Was just listenin to all ARR's albums for Shankar,was wondering how to rate them...shall we discuss on them???

1.Gentleman
2.Kadhalan
3.Indian
4.Jeans
5.Mudhalvan
6.Nayak
7.Boys

Even nayak was a remake,it had 2 new tracks...lets ignore Nayak for now...as for me...i think it goes :

1.Kadhalan
2.Boys
3.Indian
4.Jeans
5.Mudhalvan
6.Gentleman

what u guys think?if u guys have review for any album,plzz feel free to post it here!!

lancelot
16th July 2005, 08:39 PM
to me it's
1. Kathalan
2. Jeans
3. Boys
4. Gentelmen
5. Mudhalvan
6. Indian

but even for indian i will give 9/10..... all of shankars an arr combo are very good....

hehe
:D

abbydoss1969
16th July 2005, 08:42 PM
I will give my ratings.
Kadalan and Boys are true classics in the ARR mould: hip, rocking, modern etc
Then comes Jeans, which had classic " kanganukku sonthamillai" song and the 'columbus' song
Then comes Gentleman which introduced a new pattern of songs especially in those times.
Indian and Mudalvan can compete for the last two places as they have no classic songs.
1.kadalan
2.Boys
3.Jeans
4.gentleman
5.Indian
6.mudalvan

lancelot
16th July 2005, 08:43 PM
sorry sorry
the last post was sooooooooo wrong.......

it should be

kathalan, mudhalvan, indian, jeans, boys, gentelmen i cant rate them.....they are all very goooooood..... actualy some of the best in tamil cinema field........

hehe
:D

MADDY
16th July 2005, 11:57 PM
My rating:

1.Kadhalan (for sheer energy of the album)
2.Boys (Girlfriend is the song where i saw rock and boyband sounds getting fused- u know, rock and boyband ppl. fight just like us ARR V/S IR....they r opposite...to fuse these 2 genres is the best thing that anyone do in music...)
3.Jeans (variety- columbus and kannodu kanbathellam r 2 xtremes)
4.Gentleman ( my fav younger rahman's album)
5.Indian ( pachai kiligal and telephone manipol r gems)
6.Muthalvan ( very melodious yet very catchy)

but still i think Mani,Bharathiraja,Subash ghai bring best out of ARR.....

dinesh2002
18th July 2005, 04:52 PM
yo guys...was going tru Nayak songs the other day! and what a track was Chidiya Tu Hoti To (Azhagana Ratchasiyea) i was blown away with how ARR arranged this song again with Abhijieet & Sanjeeveni singging,The song entirely sounded soo different & much much better than the tamil version!!! gosh!! how does ARR does this btw!!! Hats off to ARR man!!!!! HE IS DA MAN!!!! who is this Sanjeeveni girl???she sounded so good...!!

alias
18th July 2005, 10:53 PM
My list would be

1. Kadhalan
2. Boys
3. Gentleman
4. Jeans
5. Indian
6. Mudulvan
7. Nayak

And Sanjeenavi was first introduced by Anu Malik in Kareeb. She was suppose to next kuyil but unfortunely she failed and now doing concerts with other singers.She is coming to US this month or probably she came back and went

njv
19th July 2005, 04:56 AM
My pick is Boys at the top. Take my word, Boys music will stand out another 20 to 30 years, but none of hte other listed here will stand out that much. Even yesterday I was listening to Boys and still feel like a "brand new" song to me.

My pick is

1. Boys (you name it, almost all songs)
2. Kadhalan (all songs)
3. Indian (Telephone & Pachchai Kiligal)
4. Jeans (Kannodu Kaanbathellaam)
5. Gentleman (Chiku puku)
6. Mudulvan (no specific song. this is probably the only album where there is no PUNCH mark)

interz
19th July 2005, 04:39 PM
1. Indian
2. Kathalan
3. Mudhalvan
4. Jeans
5. Gentleman
6. Boys

Hard to make ranking out of shankar and rahman, bec almost every song are musical treat.

abbydoss1969
19th July 2005, 08:26 PM
Out of shankar's films only Kadalan and Boys will stand the test of time.Rest of his films have some odd songs allright, but unlike Maniratnam ARR combo, where virtually all the albums will stand even after ten twenty years later.People will be still wondering about MR -ARR albums.

dinesh2002
20th July 2005, 07:24 PM
so the greatness of Shankar - ARR lasted for 10 years,after the correct gap of 10 years,Shankar have move towards Hj,lets see whether he sticks with him for 10 years,but 1 thing,i dun wanna see him work with ARR again,seriously,mabby that time i was desperate for them to work together,but now im really cleared,seriously ARR dont need shankar...lets hope the best for ARR with new dirs!!!

abbydoss1969
20th July 2005, 07:41 PM
so the greatness of Shankar - ARR lasted for 10 years,after the correct gap of 10 years,Shankar have move towards Hj,lets see whether he sticks with him for 10 years,but 1 thing,i dun wanna see him work with ARR again,seriously,mabby that time i was desperate for them to work together,but now im really cleared,seriously ARR dont need shankar...lets hope the best for ARR with new dirs!!!
I think Shankar may work with HJ for a couple of films and may be opt for YSR later on.That could be interesting.
Like MR switched from P.C.Sriram to other cameramen,still continuing to work with PC in odd film or two, Shankar can come back later.
BTW, the real reason for the breakup, was ARR was concentrating on his other projects, not giving enough time for Boys.

MADDY
20th July 2005, 11:25 PM
ya dinesh, i dunt think ARR needs shankar again...shankar is also getting very repititive now.....even his songs follow a same pattern...no new situations,themes for songs....i think he has bcome dry.......

dinesh2002
21st July 2005, 11:49 AM
yes man...all the picturisation in anniyan are ripp off from his previous films....