PDA

View Full Version : Idlis are best breakfast

Oldposts
22nd November 2004, 11:48 AM
Topic started by san (san1rao@yahoo.com) (@ globalc28.citicorp.com) on Mon Mar 6 12:41:00 .

Idlis are the healthiest and ideal breakfast food

Oldposts
yes, they are!!! i make them almost everyday for breakfast! (in london!!)

Oldposts
yes, they are!!! i make them almost everyday for breakfast! (in london!!) my kids love it!!

Oldposts
verum idli mattum porathu idliyudan uraippaaa Vengaya chutney and thengai chutney or Milagai podu(ulundhu kara kanranu irukanum).Nallennai idli melaa vittu vengaya sambhar oothindu athulayum niryaaa ennai oothi sappittaaa aahaaa pramatham:-)
athukaparam oru filter coffee kudikanum.

San ippadi thoongi kidanthaa aasaiyaa kilari vuttutelee:-)) indhaa varam idli pannidanum.

Oldposts
Anybody with Kanjeevaram idli recipe????

Oldposts
Forget about the Kanjeevaram Idli recipe!
Send some Kanjeevaram idli's over! Make sure they are hot...served with hot Vengaya Sambaar--make sure it is chinna vengayam...Don't forget the thengai Chutney... Adayday, Marandhu poyittaynay....nalla molagappodiyum, kuday..nalla ennaiyum erukkanum.
Sappattu Raman

Oldposts
hey sridhar...
looks like you haven;t had idlis for ages!where are you from and where do you live now???

Oldposts
nandhini:
I'm ready to send you the K. idly recipe!! In return, send the Hot Idlies
to me too!! :-) Ilavasa Inaippu: Rava Idly Recipe!! :-))
Sridhar, aahaa !! Kothamalli & mint chutney maradhuteengaley!!
Adutha Item ennavo?

Oldposts
Idli made on the very first day after it ferments is awesomeeee.. that Idli is the besttttttt and softest... and like most of you have said, we need to eat it with Vengaaya sambhaar and 2 kinds of chutneys... yummmmmmm ....try this easy oothappam recipe with left over idli maavu ::))

Grind the idli maavu once more in a mixer and use it as the dough.

Chop 1 capsicum, 1 onion, 1 tomato, 4 green chillies, and some cilantro. Heat a kadaai (or any thick bottomed pan would work) and pour a t.spoon of oil and rub it with a piece of some vegetable (I use bounty!). Once the pan it hot, pour a karandi full of batter and flatten it out (do not make it very thin). Then sprinkle the chopped vegetables and cilantro ( be as generous as you like ::)) and let it cook on one side. Turn over and let the other side cook - of course use oil! Eat this with Tomato+vengaaya chutneyy -- yummmmm

Oldposts
nandini: check this thread out for Kancheevaram idli recipe.....

http://www.forumhub.com/southfood/9634.17.01.35.html

Oldposts
OK guys...lets talk about dosas now....how many kinds of dosas have you eaten?
I'll start with the simple plain golden brown dosa.....served with hot sambhar....and a cup of wonderful 'Thengaa chutney'.....and also the fav. 'Molagaa podi'.

Oldposts
IR: why don't you tell Nandhini about my (in?)famous MOR DOSAI? ;-))) I'm self-restraint...athanala, romba koochama irukku!! ;-)))

Oldposts
:::)) keems - am not game for this - can't take the blame for any Catastrophes arising there from :::))))

Paavam - dont hurt mankind like this keems ::))

Oldposts
hey....what's this mor dosai????????
dosai thotukka moraa???
Is this something like avasara dosai???

Oldposts
Do You want to make idlis in 45 seconds?
Take a microwavable Egg Pouch, Pour the dough and keep it in the microwave oven for for 45 seconds ,your steaming idlis (2 at a time ) Ready!! to swallow with Sambar or Chutney.

Can anyone send me receipe for Cuddapa a side dish for Idli like sambar.

Oldposts
cudappa??? oor per than theriyum!

Oldposts
Very tasty Idli recipe for USA tamils:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1 cup - ulundu
4 cup - long grain rice
There is trick in soaking the rice. Boil water and take it out of the stove and pour the rice(before soak) and keep it for 7 minutes. change the water (cold) and soak it for 6 to 7 hours.

1 tsp - cooked rice.

After 7 hours of soaking grind it and allow to ferment.

Note: This is the best receipe i ever had. Try and let me know.

-Dolly

Oldposts
Can someone please tell me
a) how to make the idli dough from idli rava (available in indian groceries) .
b) receipe for miLagAi podi

thanks

Oldposts
Dolly,
Thanks for a great recipe. Will try it out soon.
Bala,
what is a microwave egg pouch??? Is it a device to use to make poached eggs?

Oldposts
Sappattu Raman:
Soak 1 measure Urad dhal and grind into a fine paste....add 1 1/2 measures of iddli rava to it...add salt and mix it with reqd. water.
Leave it to ferment.
Recipe for molagapodi: Before i give my recipe...try checking this out...
www.sysindia.com/kitchen
Its a nice site on tamil cooking. You'll like it.

Oldposts
nandini
thanks so much ...., I will try your receipe.

Oldposts
Menaka, you can get the egg pouch in any department stores that carry kitchen utensils. esp in walmart, kitchen etc.
Dolly

Oldposts
has any one tried making oothappam with molagai podi on it
try this
saute chopped onions
cut some coriander leaves
chop some tomatoes
keep your gun powder(m. podi) in one side
you can call this south indian pizza
pour the batter on the preheated tava
don't spread it too thin
spoon the oil as you do for dosa
diet concious folks could use PAM spray
for guilt free oothappam
just enough for an oothappam
top it with the onions,tomatoes,c.leaves and the gun powder
cover it with a lid for 40 seconds
remove the lid and flip the oothappam
cook it till done
its yummy
coconut chutney would go great with it

Oldposts
Hi, aarthi Oothappam batter = dosa batter ??

Oldposts
yep it's all the same
I use the same for idli,dosa,oothappamand vellai paniyaram
idli is great on the first day
oothappam is great when the batter is sour so you can make it the next day

Oldposts
What about the 'adai' ? What is the best accompaniment for these, other than butter ?

Oldposts
nado...try vellam&ney....i mean jaggery and ghee....nothing can beat that combo!

Oldposts
nandini/nado:
Vellam is the untimate choice but i like Vengaya Chutney also. Aviyal is the traditional accompaniment.

Oldposts
hey...narayanan...i have never had aviyal and adai.....are you from palghat???

Oldposts
sooda Murungak keerai Aadai-la nei & Aviyal combo..aaha..:-P Adaikku any MOAR' kalantha(like moar kuzhambu) -would be better accompaniment!
Paruppu rasa mandi kooda!!

Oldposts
Is this jaggery = brown sugar ? Also is Adai similar to attu or Pesarattu ? What are the batters involved ? Adai's might be more greenish than idlies ?? I've heard that there are some mango pickles which use the thing called 'gudh', like a sweet and sour taste, not sure of origins.

Oldposts
nandini:
I am a "Marath Thamizhan" :-))) Adai Aviyal is very famous in chettinad type of food...(karaikkudi)

Oldposts
I did not know that,Narayanan...Must try that...
Why don't you share some more of Chettinad recipes???

Oldposts
Nandini:
Not very good at recipes... will try to get some... ::-))))

Oldposts
does anyone have a grinder at home and you have still not been able to get good idlies?
I found out the ultimate recipe
just let me know if anyone's interested.

Oldposts
Nenga sollarathe ellam ketta En NAAKU COMA stage'la poi romba naal achchu nenaikiren.

Swami inga koncham sikirama karunai kaatu pa, India vuku oru ticket pottu kodapa.

Nenga sollarthe ellam partha oru 2 months leave pottu vitu India poi sappidlam irruken.

Amarkalam pannitenga ponga...

Oldposts
Arthi - please post your recipe for "the best idlis in town" ::)))

Snehidhane thaangal endha ooro? angae onnum thaai naattu saappaadu kittaadho?? :::))))

Oldposts
IR
If you only have a mixie,try this one out.
take 2 cups of rice and put it in a heated pan and lightly toast it till it all gets hot and not burnt up.
now to this add water.
and keep it aside.
now add just plain long grain rice to the above treated rice and soak it for 4 hours.
soak 1cup of ulundhu for just 2 hours.
grind the ulundhu to a fine paste and empty it in a bowl.
Then you grind the rice
mix it with the ulundhu and put some salt .
leave it over night.
while grinding ulundhu gradually add water.

the next morning when it is all fermented and risen.
the batter is ready to make idlies.
instead of applying oil in the idli thattu try spraying PAM non-stick cooking spray and then pour the batter.
once the steam starts coming leave it for 7 minutes on med-hi before switching it off, not more not less.
you must get great idlies.

the recipe is slightly different for grinders.

Oldposts
Can anybody give me a recipe for making nice crisp dosa, like the ones we get in Indian hotels.
Reena

Oldposts
Aarthi,

"now add just plain long grain rice to the above treated rice and soak it for 4 hours. "

whats the measurement for the long grain rice.
I desperately want to make proper idlis ..

4 times bayangrama sothappitane ...
this time will try ur method ..

molagapadi - recipe pls !

Oldposts
how to make karupati paniyaram.

Oldposts
This thread is making me very hungry. My family and I visit an Indian restaurant in the next state just to eat idilli once a month at least. I wish I had an Indian Master chef living with me.I feel like eating masala dosa also right now. I have to go wipe off the saliva from the floor now.

Oldposts
Could you give me a summary of what Idlis is? I need it for my project. Email me!

Oldposts
Yes Aarthi please tell me the recipe for the grinder .. I have tried many combinations but the idlis are very pasty.. not like the ones home (I am in US)

Thanks

Oldposts
Longing for IDLIs ...staying alone in Slough, Berks. Where can i get Idlis in restys....?????

Oldposts
Can anyone tell me how to make idlis with the following ingredients?

Urad dal
Rice flour

It'd be great if you can tell me what the exact measure of these two should be and also the amount of water.

Thanks a lot

Oldposts
Molaka Podi recipe for Gayathri:
Urad dhal-1 cup; Channa dhal (kadalai paruppu)-half cup; thuvar dhal (thuvaram paruppu)-half cup;
dried red chillies - half a cup (preferebly gundu
milakai); sesame (gingely) seeds (ellu) quarter cup; asafoetida powder (hing/perunkaayam)- two
teaspoons; Curry leaves-quarter cup. Take all these and roast in a dry kadaai after adding three teaspoons oil in the kadaai. Roast until urad dhal becomes pink. Take the whole thing out, add salt to taste and powder it in a mixie until
you get a fine powder. When serving add oil or ghee and mix.

Oldposts
This is just a recipe for making idlis.

Long Grain Rice - 4 cups or 2 cups
Urad Dal - 1 cup or 1/2 cup
meaning the ratioo 4:1

Soak rice and urad dal for 3-4 hours.
Grind the soaked urad dal nicely.
Do not add more water; just add only little for smooth grinding.
Grind the soaked rice somewhat coarsely but not to coarsely.
Mix both well adding salt to taste (1-11/2 tbsp)
Leave it for fermentation overnight. (Normally you should grind the stuff in the evening if you live in a hot country; If you are living in a country where the weather is usually cold, then you warm up the oven @ 200 degree F for five minutes and allow to cool for a minute then place your dough-container in the oven)

Note the ground batter should be well mixed with had when you add salt before you keep in the oven.

Next morning you will observe the level of the dough has increased due to fermentation.

Now you take an Idli Thattu and pour the batter a big spoonful to fill the idly mould and place it in the cooker with two glasses of water. Do not place ven weight. let the staem go out. After 5-7 minutes soft idlies are ready.

Idlies go with cocnut chuttneys, sambars, onion chuttneys, chillie chuttny, Tomato chuttneys and with Idli Podi.

Oldposts
Hello Ramdass,
Never make a mistake of making a fine powder of Idly podi.Always see that the Idly Podi is Coarsly Ground and it must always be eaten with Gingly oil.
Generally Thoram Parappu is not used in Idly podi.

Oldposts
Hemant Guruji,
sorry for the mistake.
Thanks for correcting me.

Ramadas

Oldposts
i need the receipes for masala mix powders like sambhar masala powder, chicken masala, chicken fry, meat masala, fish masala, gharam masala etc.

Oldposts
hi Reena, here comes the recipe "paper roast dosa" which looks like the one wwe get from the hotel.I have already posted it, but anyway......
PARBOILED - 1 CUP
RAW RICE - 1 CUP
URID DAL -1/2 CUP
FENUFREEK SEEDS - 1 TEASPOON
CHANNA DAL - 1R 1/2 TEASPOON
Soak everything in the same vessel for about 5 hrs r more . after grinding them add salt and mix them and keep them for fermentation.
Since, i m in u.s.a , i have to keep it under the oven for fermentation.(u can follow the same if u r there !!!
Enjoy ur dosa...
Gaya3

Oldposts
Hi,

Thanks Gayatri for the response. Is a 4:1 ratio of raw rice and urad dal ok for making idlis right? I tried with a 2:1 ratio of rice and urad and the idlis were a little hard. I also tried 2:1.5 and it was harder .:) Can anybody help.

Oldposts
Hai reena,

I too tried ur combination.. 4:1.. worst idlies...

Later i tried with this.. it came out will try it.

Long grain rice--4 1/2 cup
Parboiled rice 1/2 cup
urad dal 1 1/2 cup.

u can reduce the quantities by using conversions..

Oldposts
Can anyone pls give me the right measurements and ingredients for dosai.

Oldposts
Please can anyone tell me how to get the taste of hotel Sambhar. Have been desperately trying with various combinations but nothing worked.

Oldposts
hi Sarayu
always make sambar by adding tamarind juice and sambar powder finally and make sure to boil just for 4 to 5 mins then switch off. You can add the perungayam(asafortita) before u switch off the stove. By this way u can make very tasty sambar!

Kavi.

Oldposts
The ratio of urad dal and rice should be selected
to the best taste. The scientific reasoning behind their use is:

The rice contains carbohydrates that is partly consumed by the fermenting agent (bacteria).
The fermentation produces carbon-dioxide.
The parts not consumed by the fermenting
agent are food for the consumer of the idly.
Rice cannot by itself trap the carbon-dioxide.
Urad dal is used to do this. The urad dal paste
contains a special protien that forms a gel
not allowing any gases to exit. The urad dal
make the idly light.

Now to get the correct ratio of the two to use,
several factors need to be considered like
the protien content of the dal. The rate of fermentation and carbon-dioxide generation,
etc. One has to try different ratios and get
the right one for the quality of ingredients
you use, and your taste.
Heating the rice allows carbohydrates to be
released faster for the fermenting agent.
Parboiled rice (converted rice) is also
simmilar. This means you need to use more
urad dal, to trap all the CO2.

Oldposts
Very useful info Hrushi. Thanks.

Oldposts
Some more information on debugging an idly to
reach perfection:

1. If the idly is soggy. Probably you did not take the idlys out before reducing the heat.
When this happens, the reduced heat allows the
water vapor to recondense to water. Since idly has several pores, the water will condense there making it soggy. Make sure to allow all water vapor to escape before lowering the heat to correct this.

2. If the idly is too hard - this is due to very little porousness. This may be due to any of the following:
a) insufficient fermentation. A clue of this is that the batter will not grow sufficiently in amount. It should atleast have doubled since you mixed the batter.
b) not sufficient protien to trap the Co2. This also has simmilar symptoms of batter not growing sufficently.
c) idly cooker does not vent water vapor correctly to weaken the protien by cooking and allowing CO2 to escape.

If the problem is
a) Try placing in a warm environment like oven.
Add warm water (not too hot or you will kill any natural bateria/fungi fermenting agents) after mixing the batter. Microwaving in defrost mode also works to warm the batter. Try adding more carbohydrates (more heated rice, or a spoon of sugar/honey).

b) Try adding more urad dal. Make sure it is
not too old and contains sufficent quality protien.

c) try placing fewer idlys (lesser stands be used).

Oldposts
Can someone tell me how to make idlis using cream of wheat alone? I understand that it is very good for diabetic and renal patients. Thank you.

Oldposts
Hello
guys, why don't you try with idli rice for making idlis.very simple,rice(4),urad dhal(1cup)
methi seeds (1 teaspoon,optional).

Oldposts
how to make good rasam?
pleasee mail me

Oldposts
test

Oldposts
hi hrishi ,
Thanx for the Science behind idli...

Oldposts
hi,
did anybody know how many hours(exact) will take for the fermentation of idli mix..i grind and keep the mix for about 6 hrs but not fermented
Thanks,Smitha

Oldposts
hi rati,
fry mustard seeds,curry leaves,red chilly for a while and add onion fry till turned brown...then add chopped tomattos...after few min..add tamirand juice,Rasam mix,Pepper powder(or full pepper),Garlic(chopped),2 3 green chillies,asafoetida powder(kayam)...keep boiling for 5 to 7 mins..then then garnish with coriander leaves...btwn..add little chilli powder and coriander powder if u want...hope it will help u,Smitha

Oldposts
hi rati,
fry mustard seeds,curry leaves,red chilly for a while and add onion fry till turned brown...then add chopped tomattos...after few min..add tamirand juice,Rasam mix,Pepper powder(or full pepper),Garlic(chopped),2 3 green chillies,asafoetida powder(kayam)...keep boiling for 5 to 7 mins..then then garnish with coriander leaves...btwn..add little chilli powder and coriander powder if u want...hope it will help u,Smitha

Oldposts
Hi Aravind,
you asked for idli measurement with rice flour.
RICE FLOUR-4CUPS
URAD DAL-1CUP
Soak the dal,grind it a little coarsely.Mix the rice flour in water to that consistency, what you get by grinding(not too watery or very thick).Mix rice and dal add salt to taste.you will get good idlies if it is well fermented.
thank u
Devi.

Oldposts
hey rati,

this type of rasam is called jeera rasam..take tamarind juice ..add a spoon of rasam powder,one tomato, one / two green chillies, salt,aestofoida, and boil this in low falme...probably till the rasam powder smell is gone..on the other hand boil some tuar daal..once the rasam powder smell is gone..pour the bloiled daal...keep t in low flame for about two minutes..garnish with coriander leaves..
enjoy!

Oldposts
Hi Rati/Aravind,
I make Idlis at home every week. I live in USA and I've got ULTRA pride wet grinder. The below is the measurement I use:
Laxmi Ponni Raw Rice--- 1/2 cup
Laxmi Boiled Raw Rice-- 3.5 cups
Urad Dal (Ulutham Parupu in tamil) -- 3/4 cup
Aval --- One handful (optional---for extra softness)
Methi seeds (Venthayam) -- 2 T-spoons.

Soad Raw Rice and Boiled rice together (A) .....and the remaining ingredients together (B). Grind the B part first and then the A part. This makes idli softer.
ALL THE BEST

Oldposts
Sorry...forgot to mention in my earlier post.....soaking has to be for 8 hours....or atleast 6 hours.

Oldposts
Hi,
For making idli and dosa batter, try with ULTRA grinders. They come out with an authentic taste.
For details visit us at:
http://www.innoconcepts.com

Oldposts
Shopping for wet grinders, Preethi Mixie - for quality Indian kitchen appliances, visit http://www.perfectpeninsula.com
OR Call Customer Service at 972.691.0686

This website also has great Indian receipes, that you don't want to miss ... >> Check it out >>

Quality and right Kitchen appliances makes cooking real easy with your culinary skills and that makes you feel proud.

Bon Appetite !

Oldposts
To smitha:

Smitha,
Was it you who was sending e-mail attachments to my old rajneesh@telusplanet.net e-mail address. I am curious. In the past, I was receiving these attachments from this "smitha" and was wondering if it was you. Not that it is bad. I am just curious. Now back to the topic...

What is idlis high in healthwise?

Oldposts
Skantha!

You can't get high on Idlis, less you have sambar to go with!

Actually Idli goes well with Remy Martin!

Oldposts
I mean, are they high in protein or in carb or something along that line?

Oldposts
Skan,
They are high in carb. But very safe even for convalescing patients, because the cooking is done by steaming and no oil is used.

Oldposts
Ramadas,
mikka nanRi!
<a name="last"></a>

mandangi
30th November 2004, 08:44 PM
According to my opinion masala dosa is best break fast. Masala dosa is tastier than idly.

davie
3rd December 2004, 10:30 AM
yea i love idlis and masala dosas
i get tired very soon with that.
i will prefer some eggs with some tortillas and a cup of milk.

mandangi
3rd December 2004, 11:43 AM
i will prefer some eggs with some tortillas and a cup of milk.

In those days i used to take boiled eggs in break fast. But now i am using eggs in curry instead of break fast.

Dushyanthini
14th December 2004, 09:27 PM
Idlis are the worst one can have for breakfast. Pongal with fish chutney and karuvaattu kuzhambu is the best. Or even Dosai with vengaaya paruppu thuvaiyal is ok. My sister prepares Vengaaya chilli Poori and mutton paruppu kuzhambu excellently. It is a very good combination.

dev
15th December 2004, 11:07 AM
Health Wise,Idli is good rather than Puris & oily dosas...be it breakfast or dinner...:) Dosai is good,provided it's made without using much oil...

Try making idli using unpolished rice...Idli wouldn't be as white as tht made using polished rice...But it's even healthier...Bits of sacrifices for health is ok,i believe...

R
15th December 2004, 07:29 PM
Mor dosa will be prepared by grinding main ingredients like raw rice, thoor dal, f.g.seed, coconut etc.

Recently, made and it is like more or less like thin ada and because of mixing mor while grinding, the taste will differ.

mandangi
17th February 2005, 11:30 AM
I those days i also used to eat idly. I got bored by eating idly.