PDA

View Full Version : Topics to move from old Food forum

RR
22nd November 2004, 09:59 AM
Post the title & URL of the topics you wish to move from the old forum. The first batch requested at old hub will be transferred, so only ask for those topics not covered in this set.

blahblah
22nd November 2004, 10:31 AM
Hi,RR,Great that you have brought this in.What,s life with out some real taste on your tongue? :D

RR
22nd November 2004, 11:02 AM
blahblah :) congrats on your promotion ;)

blahblah
22nd November 2004, 11:41 AM
RR,I'm always around.So don't be surprised if I am the first to respond to your posts. 8)

Cindy
22nd November 2004, 05:46 PM
RR,

There was one recipe for the aravana payasam (sabari payasam...remember?)..that came out well and was well appreciated...but missed to save the recipe...will u plz post it here... or plz PM it to me?

RR
22nd November 2004, 06:32 PM
this one? http://forumhub.com/southfood/29076.05.23.38.html

Cindy
22nd November 2004, 07:03 PM
Oh Yes..

Thank you so much, RR.

Cindy.

Thattai
25th November 2004, 07:31 PM
Hi RR!
Please aslo post the foll topics from the old hub:
http://www.forumhub.com/southfood/14170.13.10.32.html
saravana bhavan kurma
http://www.forumhub.com/southfood/27311.09.34.43.html
INDO-CHINESE Recipe Corner

Thanks!

Thattai

Rakhi
10th December 2004, 06:49 AM
http://www.forumhub.com/southfood/601.17.39.14.html

A Traditional Christmas Menu (Rakhi)
Last Activity: Fri Jan 2 17:18:56 EST 2004

Thanks

Pooh
31st December 2004, 08:04 AM
there was one thread 'karnataka recipes'
and then there was 'kerala sadya/onam' recipes thread.

RR
31st December 2004, 08:55 AM
Pooh: You mean these two?

http://forumhub.com/southfood/10360.16.11.44.html

http://www.forumhub.com/southfood/8127.09.29.54.html

Pooh
1st January 2005, 02:27 AM
RR - Yes those are the ones.

Kalyani
7th February 2005, 11:51 AM
:!:

RR
10th February 2005, 09:19 AM
Kalyani,
is it this one? http://forumhub.com/southfood/15396.15.34.03.html

Kalyani
12th February 2005, 03:32 PM
:!:

Shoba
23rd February 2005, 10:58 AM
http://www.forumhub.com/southfood/10360.16.11.44.html

on Karnataka Recipes

Shoba
23rd February 2005, 12:21 PM
Hi!
I had made a post and it disappeared! Anyway...I was in Bangalore & Mysore recently and had the good fortune to taste North Karnataka cuisine at the Kamath Restaurant along B'lore-M'sore road. Everything was delicious, right down to the humble Kosumalli. And their Jawar rotis, with the generous dollop of butter-oh my!

Not to mention the 'street delicacies' on the push carts, just off the high way in Mysore. Our family friend's wife is a gifted and loving cook, and we had our fill of Bisi Bele Baath!

By the looks of it, we'll be going back to Karnataka very soon, and I would like to savour as much local vegetarian cuisine as possible. The 5 Star Hotels dont appeal to us, albeit they might have their own gifted cooks, but nothing like eating food sans the hype of decorations and fusion-confusion, no?

I have pulled out the Karnataka Recipe thread on to this new forum, and hopefully readers can post their recommendations on where to eat, what (vegetarian) in Karnataka.

Very many thanks in advance!
Shoba

dev
23rd February 2005, 12:45 PM
Hi Shoba,

Try out the chaats U get in MG Road FoodWorld...Especially Bhel puri... :)

For authentic karnataka food U can try Halli Mane... It's located somewhere in Malleswaram... Don't remember the place right...try ragi rotis and akki rotis ,kokum sherbet. Halli Mane also has a range of special dosas also...Meals too will be excellent...

If U would like to try Andhra meals,I would recommend Bheemas...It's just behind the MG road Times of India Building(WIPRO office)...ie,church Street...

For a good multi cuisine Buffet ,u can try Orange County in Manipal Centre...

& u can get delicious Punjabi parathas(stuffed ones) in a small eatery called Paratha Plaza on Sanjay Nagar main road...

Shoba
23rd February 2005, 01:05 PM
Dear Dev,

Thanks for the recommendations and have noted them down.

We tend to be partial towards local food when we travel and prefer to sample cuisines related to that particular territory!

Thanks once again!

Shoba

dev
23rd February 2005, 01:33 PM
If so, Halli mane is a must try when in Bangalore...:)

Hemant Trived1
23rd February 2005, 07:12 PM
Dev,

I am staying in next street to Halli Mane.

The only thing I can say about the food is,
" BULLSHIT" :evil:
There are hundreds of hand cart sellers dishing out better fare.

If you don't trust me,
Try It. :twisted:

dev
23rd February 2005, 07:22 PM
Well, each person has different liking... I believe Halli mane is a gud place to have traditional karnataka food... & I've heard the same from many of my friends & neighbours... If U know a better place,pls let me know...I will try it out when I am back in Bangalore... :)

& I said the same U said when I first tasted the food at MTR... But I still see so many many fans of the food served at MTR... :)

Hemant Trived1
23rd February 2005, 08:44 PM
Hello Dev,

MTR foods chairman Sri.Sadanand Maiyya is an old friend.
He himself tests all spice powders and each batch is used in cooking food for the factory workers.
I have had food in their factory with Mr.Mayya who would sometimres wait for me and send for me when I used to visit factory .
Food over there is excellent and I can't describe the satisfaction.
But that goes for the meal prepared there.
I am not happy with their spice powders as I do not get THAT TASTE which I associate with MTR quality.

Coming to authentic food from South canara, I would suggest you to visit Gopika near my house.
Some push carts after 9.30 pm near Nartaki Theatre give heavenly Dosais and Idlies.
Janatha Hotel at 8th cross is no more a place of good taste.

And BisiBele Bhath prepared by me is also very famous in our family and friends . :lol:

dev
24th February 2005, 07:02 AM
"I am not happy with their spice powders as I do not get THAT TASTE which I associate with MTR quality. "

I agree with U...I too found that the spice powders that we get in different parts taste different...I wonder if it is manufactured in a centralised place & then distributed or they've diff manuf centres... One of MTR's masala I'm always satisfied with is the channa masala... Bisibele bhat masala doesn't have the same taste always...Wonder Y!!!...

& thanks a lot for all those suggestions... The first thing I'll do after i return to India is to visit ur place to taste ur bisibele bhat... :lol:

Hemant Trived1
26th February 2005, 11:08 PM
Hello Dev,
After a long long time, I had the taste of absolutely authentic Delhi food in Bangalore. :P
Kanti sweets have opened a big outlet in 5th cross Malleshwaram at Malleshwaram circle.
Their Stuffed parathas especially Aloo Paratha ,Chana Kulcha are heavenly and the tastes is just the same as what you get in Old Delhi .
I am not very happy with their sweets , :(
but the food fare eventhough is limited, is just Heavenly. :P
Try out when you are in Bangalore.

anithaganesh
1st March 2005, 06:50 AM
Add these two by Venki Narayanan

Kari, Kurma, Kootu
http://forumhub.com/southfood/5253.12.08.29.html

and Chettinad Ennayai Kathrika etc.
http://forumhub.com/southfood/21764.5253.12.08.29.html

Inimai
16th April 2005, 03:21 AM
Hi,

There was a thread for recipes/suggestions for pregnant ladies started by Mr.Hemant I think. Could you please add that thread?

Thanks!

RR
16th April 2005, 08:04 AM
Add these two by Venki Narayanan

Kari, Kurma, Kootu
http://forumhub.com/southfood/5253.12.08.29.html

and Chettinad Ennayai Kathrika etc.
http://forumhub.com/southfood/21764.5253.12.08.29.html
Missed this post, sorry. The thread is up now. Do send me a pm should there be any delay on my part.

RR
16th April 2005, 08:05 AM
Hi,

There was a thread for recipes/suggestions for pregnant ladies started by Mr.Hemant I think. Could you please add that thread?

Thanks!
In Hemant's cookery corner: http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/healthy-pregnancy.html

gv
6th May 2005, 04:01 AM
Hello Mr.RR
Can you migrate Mrs.Somas recipe to the new forum?
Thanks in Advance
GV

gv
19th May 2005, 10:25 PM
Hello Mr.RR
Can you migrate Mrs.Somas recipe to the new forum?
Thanks in Advance
GV

R
29th May 2005, 02:59 PM
Hi friends,

Tried these recipes from the old thread which saved in my file(dont remember from where or name of that particular hubber)and found them very tasty too. Since many new hubbers are coming, guess that they should also get to know about these new & nice dishes.

Saravana bhavan kurma

1 cup grated coconut, quarter cup khasa khasa, one table spoon saunf, shredded onion 1/2 cup, diced tomato one cup, three green chillies, one tablespoon cashews, one medium piece of ginger all these to be ground into paste. Then cut half onion into long fine strips and half tomato. In a kadai, take two table spoons of oil, add bayleaves then jeera and little saunf haldi one teaspoon garam masala and then fry the onion till brown. Then add tomatoes and when they turn soft add the ground paste and salt and allow it to boil, it takes around 20 minutes for the raw smell to go and get the aroma. By then the oil also will come off the korma. Then add finely cut kothmir. Infact you can add peas, cauliflower, boiled potato pieces etc after the tomatoes, in case you want it liquid you can avoid the vegetables.

========================

dal kabab

channa dal-1cup. mong dal-1/2 cup. spinach-1/2cup ginger galic paste. garam masala. 1 teaspoon big green chillies -3 tomato-2 onion-1 salt as per taste oil for frying first soakthe dals for 3to 4 hours ahead.cut the spianch into small pieces.grind the soaked dal. it shouldnot be like a paste.[parupu vada like].then addtheginger garlic paste and garam masala,very finely cut tomato,chillies and onions. add salt, add spinach mix well. with hand make vada and fry it in low flame. very spicy snacks for vegetarians.

=====================
Kuzhambu for tiffins/rice:

let me give you a recipee for black channa( mukku kadalai) and kathirikkai kuzhambu.Soak 1 cup channa overnight or atleast for 5 hrs and pressure cook it with little salt and one potato( cubed). Cook separately 3 brinjals (small ones , quartered), 1 tomato quartered, and tamarind juice ( from a small ball of tamarind), salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Chop 1 medium sized onion and fry it in 1 tsp oil till brown,( sprinkle water when it sticks to the pan)then grind it with the following,handful of grated coconut, 1 tsp uncooked rice, 2 to 3 spoons of sambar powder( depending upon how spicy( kaaram) you need). Once the brinjals are cooked add the cooked channa and potatoes, paste and simmer for 2 to 3 mins. Then season( thaalchify) it with mustard,urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves. Your kathirrikkai kuzhambu is ready and it goes well with plain rice. Can also use blackeyed peas ( karamani) instead of black channa.
---------------------------

Would like to convey my sincere thanks to all of the hubbers those who shared such a nice recipes. Hope everyone will enjoy just like I did.

Bye.

Sowmya
29th May 2005, 05:03 PM
hello
Can you please tell me where the thread related to the "benefits of GARLIC" is available?
I searched for it and couldn't find the same.

Regards
Sowmya

R
12th June 2005, 12:03 AM
[tscii:3dd6fa2819]Hi sowmya,

These information saw in a tamil magazine and hope you will be benefitted by the below said few points.

About poondu:
Garlic has an effect which makes all the physical problems to go away; garlic is an excellent medicine especially for piles, it is a wonderful medicine.

Take every day a flake of garlic and there is no need to go to the doctor.

It is the best medicine for health and reduces the fat from the body. Those who have extra fat, take a flake before go to bed raw and in a few days, the fat will dissolve. But, it will not give you immediate relief; will take months time.

Only one drawback is those who take raw garlic, the smell will produce from the mouth as well as fromtheir sweating; but, it will drive away many disease.

It will purify the blood.

It kills unwanted things in our body.

For nursing ladies, it will help secretion of milk by taking milk garlic or frying it in ghee and taking with rice.

If you take the poondu rice in the night, will get good sleep. If u don’t like the smell, can sauté with butter and salt, fry then don’t feel any smell.

For kids or adults, those who take poondu rasam (atleast 8 flakes) during cold or cough, will find immediate relief in 3 to 4 days. For congestion, if you bite the semi boiled garlic, that is it will go away which is my experience
[/tscii:3dd6fa2819]

R
8th July 2005, 05:41 PM
Hi,

I dont know where exactly I have to place this query and whom to address.

Anyways, every time when we visit a particular page in the middle, it is little difficult (or my laziness) to cross all those pages to reach one particular page. When a thread has just 20 pages, it is no big deal; when it crosses like 50 to 60, it is little strain .

Is there any way to view the middle pages directly without disturbing the other pages?

Too much to ask, I know..Just a favor I am requesting..Kindly consider.

Thanks in advance for reading my obligation with patience.

Regards.

vizmaya
14th December 2005, 07:01 AM
[tscii:45a1c3b382]
Hi,
There was to topic about henna for grey hairs – I think kamakshi or kz had discussion saying that they had tried out and it worked if someone can post the link pls. Thanks kalyani

Hi Kalyani,

We have a henna procedure; just try it.

Ingredients

Mehandhi: 11/2 cup
Curd: 1/2cup
Tea decotion: 1cup
Lemon: 1 (juice)
Amla powder (goose berry):2tsp
Egg white: 1
Methi powder: 1tsp
Olive oil: 1tsp (optional)

Method

Mix all above ingredients in an iron bowl and make it into a fine paste, keep this
paste aside for over night.

Section your hair and apply this paste all over the scalp and up to end of the hair. Cover your head with a shower cap and leave it for 3 to 4 hours. Clean your hair well with shampoo.

Henna is an excellent conditioner for the hair. It turns grey hair to dark brown (coffee brown).Continue to apply frequently (twice or once in month) will darken the hair further.

It improves the hair growth and provides cooling effect on the scalp and gives shining to the hair. It prevents dandruff, hair loss and grey hair.

This is good to use as regular dye instead of chemical dyes.

Vizmaya team.

[/tscii:45a1c3b382]

dev
17th February 2006, 09:31 AM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Tried 'paruppu rasam' today... It turned out to be very yummy... was surprised that very limited ingredients could make such a delicious rasam... I couldn't wait until lunch & had a bowl of it as soup...Thanks a lot for the recipe...:)

Also, could U post the recipe for mysore rasam, if u happen to have one...

RedPepper
17th February 2006, 08:52 PM
Hi Mrs.Mano,

Tried 'paruppu rasam' today... It turned out to be very yummy... was surprised that very limited ingredients could make such a delicious rasam... I couldn't wait until lunch & had a bowl of it as soup...Thanks a lot for the recipe...:)

Also, could U post the recipe for mysore rasam, if u happen to have one...

:lol: This supposed to be in Mrs. Mano's thread Dev! :wink:

dev
17th February 2006, 08:59 PM
:lol: ... Was wondering how my post vanished for Mrs.Mano's thread... Thanks for pointing it out,RP...

aathirai1
23rd October 2006, 09:24 PM
Can you please add this

http://lite.mayyam.com/southfood/5786.4289.00.48.17.html