PDA

View Full Version : urgent: song translation

shazgenx
1st July 2005, 01:49 AM
I have a presentation on South Indian classical music coming up on Tuesday. I wanted to introduce my class to M.S. Subbulakshmi's life and wanted to let them hear a clip of raghuvamsa sudha - raagam: kathana kuthuhulam. I was wondering if anyone here might have the translation to the lyrics of the song. Immediate help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
- Vishaka

shazgenx
3rd July 2005, 03:00 AM
doesnt anyone know the meaning of the lyrics to "Raghuvamsa sudha"...I only know the meaning of the pallavi. Help would be appreciated.

rajraj
3rd July 2005, 09:26 AM
vishka,

Here is a rough (crude?) translation:
.................................................. .................................................. ......

Oh king of kings Ramaa

You are the moon who makes the ocean of Raghu's (Sun) race rise

You are the (forceful) wind which disperses the clouds of sin

You are the king of the jungle, the lion who tames the elephant-like demons (asuraas)

You are the protector of the world

You are the one who put an end to the arrogance of Parasurama

You are the victorious

you are the one who waged a war to the amazement of Shiva and others

You honored (are the jewel in) the race of the Sun(Raghu), the friend of the lotus

Venkatesa, you are the possesor of immeasurable and wonderful brightness

.................................................. .................................................. ......

I hope this helps. My Sanskrit is too rusty and very limited. A lot of people post Sanskrit verses in other threads. I was waiting for them to help you.
Good luck in your presentation.

shazgenx
5th July 2005, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the translation. Really appreciate the help.
- Vishaka.