PDA

View Full Version : anything under the sun that's related to sports.

j.chenkalvarayan
22nd June 2005, 09:55 AM
my favourites are Marco Van Basten , ROBERTO BAGGIO and RUUd GULLIT

started watching football first in 1990

so can make out the difference between present day players and those of yesteryears.

i feel 'mottai' RONALDO or anyone presently playing, for that matter, can never match the pony tailed italian or the gifted dutchmen.

among the present day players i like christiano ronaldo.

hehehewalrus
22nd June 2005, 10:17 AM
no idea abt the current scene. I stopped watching from '94 onwards.
The only coverage of the Dutch in India were the European Cup '88 and Italia-90. Then again, the Dutch crap in major tournaments, something they have been doing since 1974(Euro 88 the solitary exception)

NM
22nd June 2005, 10:30 AM
My fav's have been - Pele, Paolo Rossi, Kevin Keegan, Gary Lineker, Ronaldo, Gullit and Baggio, of course! :D :D Don't watch much nowadays.. :cry:

hehehewalrus
22nd June 2005, 10:40 AM
kevin keegan never played in a world cup, did he?
paolo rossi was nearly banned for life in a betting scandal in 79. the 82 world cup saved his fortunes. and after that he virtually disappeared. Most world cup heroes have been one time wonders.

NM
22nd June 2005, 11:15 AM
walrus,

don't know if kevin keegan played or not, but i thought he did! Anyway, i liked his style ..

Rossi, yeah, disappeared without trace after the world cup, but i thought he was great at that time :D

There's another who polayed in 1990 world cup,. representing England, Paul Gascoine, hot tempered fellow but played well.. just remembered his name as I was typing .... :D Can still remember how he broke down when his team lost in penalty in 1990 ...

hehehewalrus
22nd June 2005, 08:15 PM
he wasnt hot tempered at all. he was definitely more consistent compared to Rossi and Schillachi
He was crying after the redcard in the semifinal which meant he wouldnt play in the match for Third Place.
Peter Shilton was my favorite. The goal that Baggio scored against him in his last match was clearly offside.
I enjoyed the Eng-Cameroon game - the funniest moment was when Cameroon celebrated their 2nd goal near the corner kick flag-their goalkeeper could be spotted lying in the middle of the human pile, he had come running all the way from the other end :lol2:

Thiru
22nd June 2005, 08:32 PM
My all time favourite is Roberto Baggio. Cant forget the 90 world cup when he came up as a 23 year old kid and stole the show.. Though Italy was riding upon Salvatore Schillaci's goal spree, baggio caught the soccer world by aww... I have a a couple of great goals by him in the 94 world cup taped... The one thing I couldnt take was his missed penalty in the 94 world cup and when he was not selected for the national team in the 2002 world cup even after playing well in Serie A that season.. I wouldnt say that he's the best footballer, but he definitely was my favourite... Here's an interesting site by a baggio fan www.pro-paul.net

Paul gascoigne was called gazza in england.. I dont think he was a great.. he played for middlesboro but as usual England just over-rated him. List of my other favourite players include Platini, Lothar Matheus, Paolo Maldini, Oliver bierhoff, Maradano and Haji..

malligai
22nd June 2005, 09:28 PM
Hi All,

I very rarely watch ball games...But i do ocassionaly watch Basketball...that too, only when Michael Jordan is in the game... :lol: :lol:

Chengalvarayan,

I like ur avatar...i have the same Murugar pic at home.. :)

M
--------
Denver Nuggets :)

Idiappam
22nd June 2005, 11:19 PM
Hmmm.. Kundrathile kumaranukku kondaatam.

NM
23rd June 2005, 05:56 AM
Thiru,
Thanks for the link. :D
U're rite' - England over-rated Gazza - I was in the Uk at that time, and remember very well the celebration after..
Oh! Yes, Platini & Matheus....how can I forget them :roll: :roll: .
Maradona - hmm..he was a good footballer but sad to see what has happened to him now! :cry:

Walrus,
I remember that scene....eng-cam game....that's one of the reasons why I can't seem to forget that 1990 WC..and of course...Baggio!! just like i won't forgett Matt Biondi and his superb performance in the olympics! :lol:

Malligai..YES!! :lol: :lol:

j.chenkalvarayan
23rd June 2005, 07:42 AM
i feel VAN BASTEN was more talented than BAGGIO. ther are many people around who remember , respect and revere VAN BASTEN. i am one among them. i have a video in which he performs a bicycle kick that leaves his teammates as well as the rival goal-keeper stunned.i'l rate it as one of the best goals i have ever seen. also VAN BASTEN and GULLIT had their unique styles .i have seen PILE's perfromance only in selected clips. i am not impressed though.yeah i remember lothar matheus as well he was a good defender that's it.

hehehewalrus
23rd June 2005, 06:25 PM
i wudnt say Gazza was over-rated. England were in a tough group in 1990 and he was instrumental in taking them to the semifinal.

Matthaeus came into midfield in the 1990 cup and did great job.

Talking of mattheus and van basten, van basten got a yellow card in the 2nd round game(06/24/1990) for felling Matthaeus!

Biondi was past his peak in 88 olympics but got 5 golds and 2 bronzes I think(most were relays, few were individual), he was at his peak in 84. I remember seoul 88 for greg louganis and his diving accident though

NM
23rd June 2005, 06:55 PM
I remember seoul 88 for greg louganis and his diving accident though I was trying to remember his name..thanks! :D :D

ok..with this I take my humble bow... :notworthy: as that's abt all I know abt footbal.. :cry: :oops:

Thiru
23rd June 2005, 08:01 PM
I remember 1988 olympics for the Ben johnson incident clocking 9.69 in the 100m and then getting disqualified.

btw, speaking of football greats one has to include romario in that as well.

hehehewalrus
23rd June 2005, 08:57 PM
it was 9.79s. The record progressed as 9.93(Calvin Smith, Colorado Springs 1983), 9.83s(Ben, Rome 87), 9.92s(Carl Lewis, finishing second).
Interestingly, Ben was lucky to qualify for the final as the best 3rd placed semifinalist(10.17s)

Thiru
23rd June 2005, 09:17 PM
sorry i meant 9.79 .. :banghead: :banghead:

current record itself is 9.77

cucushock
23rd June 2005, 09:41 PM
hi thiru

i like mic owen n stevie G.

ellorum classic stars patti pesuringge. i was 2 young wen maradona play

Thiru
23rd June 2005, 10:45 PM
I think Rooney will do better than owen and gerrard...

j.chenkalvarayan
23rd June 2005, 11:44 PM
please watch out for ronaldo, i mean christiano ronaldo. wow, what talent that chap has.

j.chenkalvarayan
25th June 2005, 10:07 PM
what do you people think of LIVERPOOL's fantastic victory over AC MILAN in the champion's league?

i thought it was great. i like liverpool more than any other team for no clear reasons. i just love their red dress. gerrard's header was superb.
he is an able leader.kaka was just unstoppable. it's a pity that michael owens no longer plays for liverpool. and do you people remember one amazing striker from senegal who played in world cup 2002?it's said LIVERPOOL paid more than 10 million ponds for having him in their side. what happened to him? i never saw him in the match.he is such a wonderful dribbler.

and i think thiery henry is a greater player too.

Thiru
26th June 2005, 07:43 AM
just as Arsene wenger termed it Liverpool should consider themselves lucky to win the champions league.. they had some good matchups which ended up favourable to them.. The finals was great to come back from 3-0 but to me liverpool means mickey owen and robbie fowler.. once those guys left i never looked back at that team..

Simply Silly
26th June 2005, 05:53 PM
Waht about \"Kaiser\" Franz Beckenbauer, Gerd Mueller the Bomber, Lothar Mathaeus, Karlheinz Rumennige, Eusebio

At present:
Sevchenko, Riqulme, Ronaldino, Lucas Podolski, Mertesacker

j.chenkalvarayan
26th June 2005, 06:52 PM
Lucas Podolski, Mertesacker, we have a football fan from germany. i never liked germans.

Shevchenko, just go and watch the penalty shootout against liverpool, his was the most silliest shot of all, straight into the hands of dudek.

i have to admit, yes ronaldinho is very gifted. reminds me of maradonna.

Simply Silly
26th June 2005, 08:02 PM
Lucas Podolski, Mertesacker, we have a football fan from germany. i never liked germans. Do we have another racist among us?

Shevchenko, just go and watch the penalty shootout against liverpool, his was the most silliest shot of all, straight into the hands of dudek. This does not mean that he is not a genius player at all. Won\'t you like your pecker because he pours into your pants?

i have to admit, yes ronaldinho is very gifted. remainds me of maradonna. Atleast with one I satisfy you, anyway by the way how can you compare Ronaldinho with the Hand Of God? This sounds like blasphemy, Argentine exorcists are may be on the way straight to you. And if Ronaldinho starts to sniff coke, then I\'ll be the first to shake your hand.

Thiru
26th June 2005, 08:31 PM
well germans always had some good players but I wouldnt say great enough.. beckenbaur was good but not in the elite group.. if you say beckenbaur you have to include the likes of rudi voeller, oliver bierhoff etc..

ronaldinho's goal in the semis of the world cup was a great one..

Simply Silly
26th June 2005, 08:55 PM
Beckenbauer was the best Libero of his time, I have to check if he ever and how many times had been the world best player but I can do after a while - going to my pub to watch confed cup. He is still called the Kaiser = King of the Kings.

Bierhoff is just a good player among others. Mathias Sammer is atleast 10 times better than Oliver Bierhoff. Or Klaus Fischer, shot the goal of the century. He was famouse for his bicycle kick.

Rudi Voeller is great, also as a chap, never had his nose up and he is still that much beloved. Anywhere he goes people stand up and sing \"Ein Rudi Voeller, es gibt nur ein Rudi Voeller\" or They scream Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud iiiiiiiiiiiii. Kaiser Franz gets only a standing ovation.

What about Sepp Maier, Harald \"Toni\" Schumacher

j.chenkalvarayan
26th June 2005, 09:14 PM
i am very happy today germans were beaten black and blue by the brazilians. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

j.chenkalvarayan
26th June 2005, 10:00 PM
simply silly,
you call me a racist. so are you. look at your list of all time greats and mine.except for Eusebio, all others are germans. do you mean to say germans are the best players of football? on any day, brazilians are better. look at my list.

van basten-holland
ruud gullit-holland
christiano ronaldo-portugal
thiery henry-france
maradonna-argentina
ronaldinho-brazil

anyways don't you try to teach me history. i was very good at it in my schooldays. can you please explain to this hub about holocaust. let people get an idea of the greatness of germans.hail hitler :lol: :lol:

i feel it's a sin to be associated even remotely with a german or germany. so this will be the last time i will be addressing you directly or indirectly. all the best skinhead.

Simply Silly
26th June 2005, 11:39 PM
simply silly,
you call me a racist. so are you. look at your list of all time greats and mine.except for Eusebio, all others are germans. do you mean to say germans are the best players of football? on any day, brazilians are better. look at my list.

van basten-holland
ruud gullit-holland
christiano ronaldo-portugal
thiery henry-france
maradonna-argentina
ronaldinho-brazil

anyways don't you try to teach me history. i was very good at it in my schooldays. can you please explain to this hub about holocaust. let people get an idea of the greatness of germans.hail hitler :lol: :lol:

i feel it's a sin to be associated even remotely with a german or germany. so this will be the last time i will be addressing you directly or indirectly. all the best skinhead.

First of all, it was you saying that you don't like germans. Short of memory? Why? It was just few hours ago?
2. And Ronaldinho you simply forgot!
3. I just named that Germans just because they were really good and had also been selected footballer of the year.
4. I forgot to mention Johann Creuff, the ever best dutch! Looking at him you'll learn to know about Beckenbauer.
5. Looking at your list it is very much obvious that there is only one brazilian, no Pele, no Zico, no Sokrates. Am I right? You rank him last on your list, I did not!
6. I don't have to teach you history though I would have done better than your Teacher. Where had you been to school? Have you ever been there? I doubt that!
7. Regarding holocaust either you start a new thread about it and I'll teach the lesson and entertain the entire hub or just pm me and you'll get a private tution. And there are benefits from holocaust -> the western medicine for example. But open a new topic and I'll write you black and blue!
8. Hitler was an Austrian and not a German, get the facts right!
9. And last not but least is this a football topic or a holocaust thread?
10. They lost the game only 2:3 yesterday, by the way was India world Champs in football? Or even qualified? Can they buy football boots? Or perhaps even a football? Or is every thing already written in the Vedas?
11. skinhead movement came first from England and not a german invention, Rishi!

Heil Hitler you! You are that much idiotic that I fear to send you to the gas chamber!

Auf Wiedersehen, aber nicht wirklich! Yes it is better for you not to address me in future! Right from the first day I found someone to have fun!

j.chenkalvarayan
27th June 2005, 12:42 AM
ayyo ayyo ennoda santhoshathai control panna mudiyalaye :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ronaldinho mappilai,
kallakkeradu nee. u scored a wonderful goal against the germans in the semis.nee thaan da en unmaiyaana thalai. machaan germans kaalaiyum thimirpudicha vaayaiyum odai da nee. world cup oru periya aapu. ippa confederation cupla innum oru periyaa aapu.antha payilukalluku thimiruda. than than periyavanu nenaippu. periya parruppunu nenaippu. :P :P . adingu maavu .maama continue to play well da.

fact: brazil and germany have played each other 21 times so far. brazil has won 12 games. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Simply Silly
27th June 2005, 12:44 AM
nothing to do with this topic here

I was just asked to visit the link sent by the hubadmin.

Hubadmins you better delete this post as I don't know why you sent me this mail.

Simply Silly
27th June 2005, 12:51 AM
ayyo ayyo ennoda santhoshathai control panna mudiyalaye :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ronaldinho mappilai,
kallakkeradu nee. u scored a wonderful goal against the germans in the semis.nee thaan da en unmaiyaana thalai. machaan germans kaalaiyum thimirpudicha vaayaiyum odai da nee. world cup oru periya aapu. ippa confederation cupla innum oru periyaa aapu.antha payilukalluku thimiruda. than than periyavanu nenaippu. periya parruppunu nenaippu. :P :P . adingu maavu .maama continue to play well da.

fact: brazil and germany have played each other 21 times so far. brazil have won 12 games. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can for sure understand the hieroglyphics than the above. What kind of language is it?
Would be very bad for a 5 times world champions if they did not win 12 times, isn't it?

j.chenkalvarayan
27th June 2005, 01:23 AM
moderators, please be aware that i have not used any filthy words in my post. machaan,maapilai,maama is equivalent to buddy,dude.

adingu maavu- these have got no meaning as such. used often to express irritation.

periya parruppunu nenaippu- here gain in place of parrupu other words can be used.

periya venkaayamnu nenaippu

periya biscothunu nenaippu :lol: :lol:

the point i want to drive home is my post is clean.just to make others laugh i was forced to use colloquial dialect.

hehehewalrus
27th June 2005, 01:30 AM
Tamil theriyaadhavan kedacha kanda kanda varthaila thittanum :)

j.chenkalvarayan
27th June 2005, 12:30 PM
holocaust:

to understand what it is, watch nuit et brouillard( french film -roughly translated means night and the fog). i watched it with english subtitles.

books:

anne frank' diary

deborah_lipstadt-denying the holocaust

Nerd
27th June 2005, 01:46 PM
JC I thought u said u wont reply to that silly directly or indirectly... then why bother explaining about holocaust again?? :rotfl:

j.chenkalvarayan
27th June 2005, 02:07 PM
i never referred to anyone i can remember. :lol: :lol:

sis let me explain what i mean by directly and indirectly

now i am addressing you directly

but suppose i say kasi is stupid :rotfl: :rotfl: in some other post, i refer to you in an indirect manner. gotcha

Nerd
27th June 2005, 02:11 PM
suthamaa puriyalae..

btw, u better not refer me indirectly :lol2:

I dont watch much soccer.. I like Thierry henry's game... two seasons ago he scored an amazing goal in the premiership singlehandedly dribbling from his court, all the way into the nets.. breathtaking stuff :D

cucushock
28th June 2005, 09:51 AM
suthamaa puriyalae..

btw, u better not refer me indirectly :lol2:

I dont watch much soccer.. I like Thierry henry's game... two seasons ago he scored an amazing goal in the premiership singlehandedly dribbling from his court, all the way into the nets.. breathtaking stuff :D

versus liverpool isit?

j.chenkalvarayan
28th June 2005, 11:26 PM
well, this has got nothing to do with football. did not want to open a seperate thread.so i'm posting here. what do you people think of the indian volleyball team. i think they are making great progress. the first time i watched india playing was 4-5 years ago, i think it was the common wealth games . i was dumbstruck. they really played well. they could take on big teams like iran,china,indonesia(atleast going by the height of the players). then they went on to win the rashid international.its a tournament in which best teams of asia participate.and now india has a real chance of qualifiying for the world tournament.in the recently concluded tournament that took place in chennai it lost to big gun china. still there is a chance . it has to meet australia , south korea and some other team i can't remember.it has to win two games atleast.the chinese team it lost to is more or less the same it had won over in recent times according to the indian volleyball coach. so you see,china was just better on that particular day.ok who's your favourite volleyball player. i like joby joseph, tom joseph. joby is the setter and tom is the striker.to many,nay almost all these names will sound new. why not ? india is a country where a crazy game like cricket is more popular than really interesting games like football, hockey,volleyball.don't you people think in the name of supporting cricket we are just ignoring and marginalizing other games. tell me honestly. why cricket has not gained popularity in other countries like japan,us . if you ask me ,i'll say it's silly. japanese are industrious people . so they simply can't afford to spend six hours on this islly game. is it really fair if we allow these players to walk away with lakhs and lakhs of ruppes when people in other sports and athletes are complaing of lack of funds.it's not fair at all.my humble appeal to everyone.stop watching cricket.it's a shame when an ordinary man is asked to pay tax but a cricketer is not willing to pay tax for his imported car. when will india see another P.T usha. not until cricket dies out in india .cricket sucks.let me end this with a quote from bernaud shaw:Baseball has the great advantage over cricket of being sooner ended.

hehehewalrus
29th June 2005, 03:09 AM
I agree with JC :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

http://rapidshare.de/files/2658108/Hayden_vs_Jones.asf.html

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Ganguly

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0438RKUN

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=harbhajan

http://rapidshare.de/files/1418858/test3_inn1.wmv.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/2408206/...llmiss.wmv.html

j.chenkalvarayan
29th June 2005, 07:12 AM
walrus kanna,
grow up :rotfl: . how long will you be a kid. :lol: :lol:

NM
29th June 2005, 12:08 PM
JC...perhaps you should rename this to "fav sports / personalities" - then we can talk abt all types of sports not confined to only football..... :wink: What say you??

j.chenkalvarayan
29th June 2005, 12:16 PM
but how to do that ma'am?

NM
29th June 2005, 03:27 PM
but how to do that ma'am?JC..guess one of the mods has done it for you.... :D :D

Nerd
5th July 2005, 11:22 AM
Mahesh Bhupati has won his 7th grandslam.... Wimbeldon Mixed doubles along with mary pierce..

j.chenkalvarayan
5th July 2005, 01:28 PM
i just love leander paes. :D it is said mahesh was responsible for the split.no one has done more to indian tennis than leander has.winning davis cup ties year after year, man you are truly my hero. i have his poster stuck in my room.

my all time favourites(tennis): gustavo kuerten(king of kings), goran ivanisevic(king of aces),marcelo rios(king of hair style),stefan edberg,pete sampras((emperor)pity,he has never won a single french open title),leander paes(hero),martina navratilova,martina hingis

Thiru
6th July 2005, 06:42 PM
oh btw, since we were talking about soccer this name just clicked..
Juergan Klinsmann...

did you guys watch federer dominate Roddick this sunday?? I havent seen a dominating display of Tennis like this for years.. First set was over in 22 minutes.. Federer had 15 winners and 1 error and thats the level of accuracy in his tennis.. This was the first time I watched Federer play and I'm totally totally impressed with him... I would love to watch a Federer vs sampras (at his peak) game at wimbledon which is no longer possible :(

Anoushka
6th July 2005, 08:35 PM
Federer seems to be playing very casually. I saw the match as well Thiru and it was brilliant. I've watched Federer play before and I've always thought that this guy plays very naturally! And yes, Sampras does come to my mind when I watch Federer play!

cucushock
8th July 2005, 04:31 PM
Federer seems to be playing very casually. I saw the match as well Thiru and it was brilliant. I've watched Federer play before and I've always thought that this guy plays very naturally! And yes, Sampras does come to my mind when I watch Federer play!

ye meetoo.

federer will be all time number 1 tennis player

hehehewalrus
10th July 2005, 08:53 PM
Thiru
check out the 922 minute DVD on "NBA - Dynasty Series: Chicago Bulls in the 1990s". You can get it from Netflix.

hehehewalrus
10th July 2005, 08:53 PM
andha dvd suttuka program kidaikuma thedikitu iruken

Alien
11th July 2005, 10:30 AM
did you guys watch federer dominate Roddick this sunday?? I havent seen a dominating display of Tennis like this for years.. First set was over in 22 minutes.. Federer had 15 winners and 1 error and thats the level of accuracy in his tennis.. This was the first time I watched Federer play and I'm totally totally impressed with him... I would love to watch a Federer vs sampras (at his peak) game at wimbledon which is no longer possible :(

Federer is totally stunning. He's very cool(so is Roddick). He has all the qualities 2 bcom tennis' all time gr8est 8)

hehehewalrus
15th July 2005, 12:49 AM
Thiru Bhai
Have u bought or copied any good sports DVDs? :)

Thiru
15th July 2005, 12:52 AM
Thiru Bhai
Have u bought or copied any good sports DVDs? :)

bought - hehehe..
copied - Not the sport dvds...:)

I have d/l ed one of the ind-pak games during the recent series.. i dont get a lot of sport dvds in our desi video shop :(

hehehewalrus
15th July 2005, 02:06 AM
Thiru,
I won the bulls dvd on ebay for $30. There was a price discrepancy of $1 on the invoice and quoted price so i emailed the guy before paying and he turned out to be a fraud - I just escaped :D So i just signed for netflix free trial and got the DVD in 2 days.

am trying to win a really superb dvd tomorrow and i cant tell the title now since you might outbid me :P

(watched a spotless dvd rip of mouna ragam yesterday)

Thiru
15th July 2005, 03:51 AM
Thiru,
I won the bulls dvd on ebay for $30. There was a price discrepancy of $1 on the invoice and quoted price so i emailed the guy before paying and he turned out to be a fraud - I just escaped :D So i just signed for netflix free trial and got the DVD in 2 days.

am trying to win a really superb dvd tomorrow and i cant tell the title now since you might outbid me :P

(watched a spotless dvd rip of mouna ragam yesterday)

I have mouna ragam on dvd already..

and dont worry about the superb dvd u are bidding on.. i wont spend money on buying dvds :)

hehehewalrus
15th July 2005, 05:55 PM
Thiru,
why not? Instead of wasting $20 on any attraction, a 500minute DVD would be better isnt it?

Thiru
15th July 2005, 06:56 PM
Thiru,
why not? Instead of wasting $20 on any attraction, a 500minute DVD would be better isnt it?

walrus,
The chances of me watching the DVD even if I buy it is pretty less...
I rent a few VHS cassettes of the old (pre 90) ODI's when my friend visits me...Few games I watched recently, Sachin's first game as an opener against NZ... Sachin's two great knocks in Sharjah... 1985 World series cup against pakistan (L.siva at his best)...

I still remember those days when I used to wake up at 5 in the morning to watch the World Series in 1985... It was a thrill to watch the games played in australia with the colored clothing and white ball.. The stump microphone and the duck animation those days and the commentary of Richie Benaud and bill lawry..

Do u remember the indian lineup those days?
Srikkanth, Shastri, Amarnath, Gavaskar, Vengsarkar, Azhar(???), Kapil, S. Vishwanath, Madan lal, Binny, L. Siva

j.chenkalvarayan
15th July 2005, 07:11 PM
thiru sir,ivangala vittuteengalae:

koundamani,senthil,jangaraj,manoramma,charlie,vive k,vadivelu,kovai sarla,mandira bedi,karunas, matrum kashmirin kadum kulirilum theeviravathikalai pidikkum captain vijayakanth

hehehewalrus
15th July 2005, 07:22 PM
Thiru, I did a match-by-match recap of the World Series tournament in some website some years back. Will send the link if i find it. Yes Azhar was there in the team, he scored 93 not out v Pak in the first game when Imran took 3-27. All of Gavaskar's book One Day Wonder is based on that tournament only. Didnt you see those games on RajTV Golden Moments?

I dont have a vhs player thats why going for dvd :(

JC, I got clips of your players too :)

Thiru
15th July 2005, 08:15 PM
jc, naan star cricket ellam pakkardhu illai :)

walrus,
I'm looking for a dvd of the whole series... If you find it let me know.. I somehow like that series more than the 83 world cup..
I did see the golden moments of Indian cricket.. I remember srikkanth quoting L.siva saying that when Allan lamb came out to bat, he wouldnt be able pick up his googly.. L.siva and Sadanand combination was the best and its a bummer that both of them never made it big..

hehehewalrus
15th July 2005, 08:51 PM
Thiru,
i saw it somewhere but dont remember a link. I have the email of an australian who records them and sells for cheap. Personally i dont want to collect that DVD since it was quite one sided all through(except semifinal - all games opponents bowled cheaply, shastri putting kattai and india winning in 47 overs), really no exciting games :) There are some nice Test match albums of 70s-80s which u can go for instead.
LSiva puts his tongue out after the Gower wicket, it was a full toss which would have been 6 on any other ground, but caught Vengsarkar in SCG.
Siva went into drugs after that and Viswa into wine and women. When they recovered after 2 years, their old talent was gone

Thiru
15th July 2005, 11:06 PM
do you have links for one of these two??

a) Qasim omar bowled by kapil for a duck in the 85 WSC..
b) Kapil hitting mushtaq for a six over long off in Adelaide oval (this was in 92 I think)..

hehehewalrus
15th July 2005, 11:17 PM
i saw the Qasim omar link on some site, i think the file expired.
I had the real player highlights of India-pak wc92 innings on one of my yahoo briefcase accounts, let me check and tell.

hehehewalrus
15th July 2005, 11:30 PM
1 yr back i had the video of indian innings. .now it has expired :( Do you want javed jumping clip from same match?

hehehewalrus
15th July 2005, 11:38 PM
dvds are cheap here
http://shop.dreamcricket.com/dreamcricket/pavilion/shopexd.asp?id=70&cid=11&tname=DVDs&tid=23

Thiru
15th July 2005, 11:40 PM
1 yr back i had the video of indian innings. .now it has expired :( Do you want javed jumping clip from same match?

did javed jumping happen in the same match?? I thought it happened in the world cup whereas kapil's six was in the triangular tournament before the world cup.. I could be wrong.. but send me the link anyway :)..

Do you know whether its the highlights of all the games mentioned in that link or just one game per dvd ?

hehehewalrus
15th July 2005, 11:50 PM
Sorry I didnt see the "YOU SAVE:" before the price. I thought all DVDs were $2 :D

Javed's is on my site - right click and save as:
http://www.youareloose.com
The triangular had India - WI - Aus.

Thiru
16th July 2005, 12:03 AM
there are lots of stuff on ebay but most of them are VCDs but it says DVD on the titles.. so be careful with them.. There's a set of 3 VCDs for 15$ which includess sachin's knock in the last world cup, the 97/98 sharjah final and a documentary on him.. If it was a DVD I would have jumped on it.. VCD doesnt thrill me..

hehehewalrus
16th July 2005, 12:18 AM
if its a match played by india i know i can rip it somewhere off the net. I am only looking for games played in Australia and covered by Channel Nine :D
foxsports.com.au still has the daily highlights of india-australia series 2004-2005. these days i manage to get the highlights of any cricket match that goes on :D

soccer_gal
16th July 2005, 01:47 AM
Aw, to bad I missed most of these discussions.

Anyways, I don't like the Germany team at all, I really have no valid reasons, I just don't. I was disappointed how they won the third place. Mexico and Germany both played extremely well. I wanted Mexico to win, but unfortunately due to Ballack's LUCKY corner kick they won :evil: I hated how the Germans kept pulling all these fouls on the Mexican team, who played decently, but you could tell towards the end, the Mexican team were just getting furious with all the fouls. I'm surprised that the German team only had one person get sent off with a red card, I expected more. Especially the subtitute they put on near half time or something (I don't remember his name, he was black and his name began with an M, Marselle or something :S ) He pulled like more than 3 fouls, and the ref didn't notice em, just one yellow card for him.

I think Mexico and Japan were underated in how they would perform in the Confederation cup rounds, and Greece were way overated :P . I mean look at the game Japan played with Brazil, which ended in 2-2 I believe. They were like neck to neck! I must admit, when I first started watching the game, I thought Brazil would cream Japan by like 3-1 or some sort. However, Brazil did cream Argentina with like what 4-1?! :cry:

I think Brazil has a very very very good future ahead of them. Did you say their younger players like Robino? Wow, that boy has speed! Just crazy I tell you! Then there's "Rockert Jr." Then the most brilliant player of all on their team, Ronaldhino. I don't remember once him playing so horribly, he put on a good performance in all the games from what I've seen. It's nm surprise how he got Fifa Player of the Year award in 2004.

I think it sucks for Ronaldo (the buckteeth brazilian) how he won't play in the 2006 World Cup. Hahaha he deserved it. He thought he was so good that he can have a "Holiday" and not participate in the confederation cup games. Well the Brazilian coach didn't need players like him. They won the confederation cup, and they are just as good without him :roll:

Anyways, as of now I think the "super stars' nowadays are:

Wayne Rooney
Steven Gerrard
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Thierry Henry
Ronaldhino
Zinedine Zidane (to bad he's going to retire sooon)
John Terry (maaaybe)

C.Ronaldo has some superb skills with handling the ball but I don't think he is as great overall compared to the players listed above. However, one day he will, he has many years ahead of him before he "retires" in football terms :lol:

hehehewalrus
16th July 2005, 02:30 AM
is this soccer-gal or soccer_guy? :D

Thiru
16th July 2005, 04:01 AM
is this soccer-gal or soccer_guy? :D

Is this Mia Hamm?? :)

soccer_gal
16th July 2005, 08:41 AM
It's soccer_gal for you, Walrus :twisted:

Thiru,

Oh I wish I could play like Mia Hamm :roll:

hehehewalrus
17th July 2005, 04:16 AM
Thiru,
2 varshama Mia hamm pathiye pesitu irukeenga...link kudunga appadi enna dhaan irukku paapome.

I won the 4 hr tennis DVD of 80s stars yday on ebay :)

I got several other clips - Sachin's 126 v Aus 2000-01, Dravid 148 v SA 1996-97, Aus-SA semifinal 1999, etc....looking for Sachin & Azhar's Capetown centuries highlights and Sachin's 155 v Warne.

j.chenkalvarayan
17th July 2005, 08:22 PM
Henry is new Arsenal captain

http://in.rediff.com/sports/2005/jul/17henry.htm

soccer_gal
17th July 2005, 10:30 PM
It was bound to happen one day :D

j.chenkalvarayan
18th July 2005, 09:51 PM
gerrard is all set to leave liverpool. what is your opinion on this? it is likely he will end up playing for chelsea or real madrid. i feel its not a wise decision cos already both these clubs have many star players and its going to be difficult to stand out. also liverpool will lose one of its most talented player and inspirational captain. he is deserting the club which has nurtured him so far.

j.chenkalvarayan
18th July 2005, 09:53 PM
and ofcourse anything under the sun is fair enough.

hehehewalrus
18th July 2005, 11:14 PM
its not fair, it actually gets dark when under the sun

soccer_gal
18th July 2005, 11:19 PM
[tscii:6219f4e6d1]Steven Gerrard is actually staying with Liverpool 8)
He has signed a 4 year contract. He hope he can take Liverpool to win the Premiership in these next few years :P

I guess once the contract is over, he might move to Chelsea?
That would be great though because then you'll have Lampard, Terry and Gerrard! :roll: I doubt, he'll go to a Spanish team. Then again, there have been many players who played in the Premiership that are playing for Spanish teams now.

Gerrard Looks To The FutureSporting Life - Sun 10 Jul, 2:09 PM

Steven Gerrard has set his sights on Premiership glory after winning back his place in the hearts of Liverpool fans.

The Reds skipper helped the European champions to a 4-3 friendly victory at Wrexham on Saturday to end the most turbulent week of his life on a high.

The 25-year-old had indicated on Tuesday the time was right to quit Anfield, prompting angry supporters to burn a replica Gerrard shirt.

Having spent a sleepless night at his home agonising over leaving his boyhood club, Gerrard performed an astonishing U-turn in the early hours of Wednesday by deciding to remain a Liverpool player.

Significantly, the rapturous reception he received from Reds fans at Wrexham suggested his subsequent signature on a four-year, £100,000-a-week contract has won the Kop back round.

And with that in mind, Gerrard has now set his sights on capturing the only major trophy to so far elude him.

"It was great to get the shirt back on and hopefully in the coming season I can hit top form and deliver a trophy," he said.

"Hopefully I can go on and win that medal that I'm craving for, which is the Premiership, because that's the one I'm missing.

"Hopefully it will be this year, but if not it will happen in the four years that I've signed for."

Gerrard was left confused and depressed over the prospect of ending his 17-year association with the club.

But he insists he has no regrets about turning down the opportunity of a possible defection to Chelsea for the second time in 12 months.

"I feel as though I've made the right decision," he said. "It doesn't need me to say how tough it's been - you've seen it all yourself and what's been said in the papers with all the contract situation.

"It hasn't been good. I enjoy playing football but I haven't enjoyed all the stuff that has been happening over the past week.

"I want to put it all behind me now and forget about it."

The England midfielder admitted the failure to sign a new deal in the immediate aftermath of the club's Champions League victory in Istanbul served to fuel speculation he could leave Anfield.

"The speculation never went away because I had two years left on my contract and my situation at Liverpool wasn't healthy," he said.

"I think that's why all the speculation came back. I said after the Champions League final, I just wanted to sign a deal and end all the speculation.

"Now the deal is signed - four years and no clauses in it - so the situation I've been in this summer won't happen again.

"I want to concentrate on my football and winning more trophies for this football club and never being in that situation again."
[/tscii:6219f4e6d1]

cucushock
20th July 2005, 09:27 PM
and he scores 5 goals in 2 european matches :D

hehehewalrus
21st July 2005, 12:40 AM
thiru,
100 mb-ku mela cricket videos irukku, how to send?

j.chenkalvarayan
21st July 2005, 01:17 AM
walrus annen,
shall we start a new thread? :P

Thiru
21st July 2005, 01:18 AM
thiru,
100 mb-ku mela cricket videos irukku, how to send?

send me links to the ones that are avaialble on the net.. mathadhellam appaala paathukkalam

j.chenkalvarayan
21st July 2005, 01:22 AM
postla annupunga. maranthurama stamp ottunga.

hehehewalrus
21st July 2005, 09:39 AM
Thiru,
first open a gmail account called 'thiruttupadam' or something like that, i will email there. I have one such gmail acct which i use exclusively for registering :)

hehehewalrus
23rd July 2005, 11:57 PM
NM,
you can watch a Paolo Rossi goal here :D
http://rapidshare.de/files/3286979/5_Unglaubliche_Fussballtore.mpg.html

hehehewalrus
24th July 2005, 12:01 AM
Thiruji,
ashes highlights :D
http://rapidshare.de/files/3269464/Ashes-1st-test-day1-2-khan-PcR.zip.html

hehehewalrus
25th July 2005, 07:46 AM
Thiru,
Do you want the Ek Chidiyaan(olden days DD film) video clip? :D

Thiru
25th July 2005, 08:29 PM
he^3w,

I'll open an account and let you know.. Thanks for the links.. Ek chidiyaan ellam vendam :)

hehehewalrus
27th July 2005, 12:45 AM
Thiru,
use the same email for tamilpark, tamilburn, etc :D

http://shop.dreamcricket.com is a good one. All DVDs are $5 cheaper. I just ordered 10 yrs of World Series Cricket. The other good ones are "Indian Cricket 1932-1986" and "101 great moments from world cup 1992". They also have a tollfree number and reply to email requests the same day.

soccer_gal
27th July 2005, 11:41 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=337219&cc=5901

:)

j.chenkalvarayan
28th July 2005, 12:12 AM
the criterion for selection is not nice.none can have played in the Premiership

cos ruud van nistelrooy is better than davids anyday. my comparison is not apt.(nistelrooy is a forward. but both are dutch).

Thiru
28th July 2005, 04:25 AM
h3w, jeenalu-at-gmail-dot-com kku anuppunga

hehehewalrus
28th July 2005, 06:05 AM
sent :D

Thiru
28th July 2005, 08:29 AM
guess the email is toooooooooooooooo big.. its not even opening.. :(

hehehewalrus
28th July 2005, 08:39 AM
how?? its just a text file of not more than 2 KB :? :?

resent

Nerd
28th July 2005, 08:50 AM
There is something called PM, if you guys forgot that :lol:

I ve been promoted as a moderator to one of those message boards and I got the message today.. So practising :lol:

hehehewalrus
28th July 2005, 09:05 AM
I got arattai arangam links too. Anyone feels like shedding tears today? :D

NM
28th July 2005, 09:41 AM
I got arattai arangam links too. Anyone feels like shedding tears today? :Dwhy tears?? pls give me the links, walrus....tq.

Sinthiya
8th November 2005, 02:04 AM
he^3w,

I'll open an account and let you know.. Thanks for the links.. Ek chidiyaan ellam vendam :)

Thiru sir, I like your avatar...too bad the Yankees aren't having luck with the World Series the past few years even with all those guys and budget... :)

Nerd
20th November 2005, 01:16 AM
http://us.rediff.com/sports/2005/nov/19fed.htm?q=tp&file=.htm

Is he unstoppable?? Roger Federer, is he the best ever??

Thiru
20th November 2005, 08:20 AM
he^3w,

Thiru sir, I like your avatar...too bad the Yankees aren't having luck with the World Series the past few years even with all those guys and budget... :)

Sinthiya, budget doesnt translate to victories does it? Yes, it has been a few years since they last won it but hopefully that will change in 2006...

asan
28th March 2006, 04:39 AM
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5700

asan
28th March 2006, 04:40 AM
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=5700

Thiru
29th March 2006, 05:30 PM
asan, do not spam all the threads with links to the kaif thread... keep your kaif discussions to that thread alone...

asan
29th March 2006, 07:45 PM
asan, do not spam all the threads with links to the kaif thread... keep your kaif discussions to that thread alone...ok

rocketboy
29th March 2006, 09:07 PM
Kamal aspires for Olympic success

March 29, 2006 17:36 IST

High on confidence after a twin gold medal haul at the recently-concluded Commonwealth Games, India's top paddler Achanta Sharath Kamal is aspiring to win medals in the Olympics.

Sharath KamalThe tall and lanky player from Chennai said after their Melbourne medal haul, which also included a bronze in women's team event, the game would recieve a big boost in the country.

The fact that the Indians displayed tough resilience against formidable opponents is also certain to win them more supporters.

"After our performance in Melbourne, table tennis in India has reached the next level. We have raised the bar and now we can set higher goals," Kamal said after his arrival in New Delhi from Melbourne last night.

Admitting that he did not expect to win gold medals at the Commonwealth Games, Kamal said the success inspired him to aspire for medals in Asiad and Olympics.

"This is one of the big moments of my life. Though we were expecting two medals, we did not imagine that we will win two gold medals. This victory is a big achievement and it has given me the confidence to aspire for a medal in the Asian Games and Olympics," Kamal said.

Kamal, who was part of the men's gold winning team and later grabbed the singles title also, said the thrilling victory against Singapore for the team title was a big motivating factor for him ahead of the singles gold medal match.

"Our victory against Singapore in the finals of the team event was very important. And beating a player like Yanz Zi was not easy. It gave me a lot of confidence for the singles round." Thrashing defending champion Segun Toirala in straight games in the men's singles semifinals pepped Kamal further.

"I have lost to Segun twice but I was at my best in the semifinal. My forehand was working great and I did not make any unforced errors. I knew that If I reach the final, I could win the gold," Kamal said.

However, victory in the final did not prove to be a cakewalk as Australia's William Henzell gave a stiff fight and made the Indian sweat for the title.

"I was very nervous before the match, I could not keep my focus. I lost some important points to come under pressure. But then I got my rhythm back in the last game," the PSPB paddler said.

About the World Championship scheduled next month, Kamal said better rankings would put him in good stead for the competition.

"I will be taking part in the World Championships and then Asian Games. My performance in Melbourne will put me 20 to 30 places higher in world rankings. And I am looking ahead to carry forward my form and put on a good show," he added.
http://in.rediff.com/sports/2006/mar/29kamal.htm

i wish kamal success and success alone. All his hard work and perseverance is now paying rich dividends.

Anoushka
15th February 2007, 02:58 PM
This year we have Special Olympics World Games in Beijing in October (if I am right)... I am sure we have a big Indian contingent heading there.. I would love to know how the preparations are going on... if anyone has any updates please post here!

rocketboy
16th February 2007, 12:05 AM
Indian football team has qualified for the second round of the qualifying stage for Beijing Olympics. Now it is in the same league as Iraq , DPR Korea . I don't expect much from them but it will be interesting to see how far they progress. Now when are the Brazilian coaches going to arrive? I saw the final match betwen JCT mills and Sao paulo. I just saw the first half. They played well and I expected them to at least salvage a draw . But finally Sao won 3-0 and they completed their India tour on a high without conceding a single goal.

rocketboy
21st February 2007, 09:17 PM
PHL . Support for CHENNAI VEERANS :D

rocketboy
21st February 2007, 10:20 PM
PHL . Support for CHENNAI VEERANS :D

Chennai veerans have won their last encounter winning 3 -0 against Bangalore Lions. There are still 4 matches to be played involving CHENNAI
MAA VEERANS. This means we still can collect 12 points from the remainig ties. And that gives us an outside chance for qualifying. So CHENNAI VEERANS GO DA. CHENNAI PASANGANA YAARUNU KAATUNGADA

Sanguine Sridhar
22nd February 2007, 08:21 AM
Yeah I saw the match between Chennai Veerans Vs Bangalore Lions...! Very good performance by Chennai Pasanga 8-)

Yedhukku match noida-la nadathuraanga ... Orey kulir pola, players oodhuna pogaya varudhu :shock: namma pasanga thaan kashtapaduvaanga paavam :(

Sanguine Sridhar
22nd February 2007, 08:22 AM
Indian football team has qualified for the second round of the qualifying stage for Beijing Olympics. Now it is in the same league as Iraq , DPR Korea . I don't expect much from them but it will be interesting to see how far they progress. Now when are the Brazilian coaches going to arrive? I saw the final match betwen JCT mills and Sao paulo. I just saw the first half. They played well and I expected them to at least salvage a draw . But finally Sao won 3-0 and they completed their India tour on a high without conceding a single goal.

8-) :clap:

rocketboy
22nd February 2007, 03:44 PM
Sridhar unfortunately this hub is frequented only by South Indians( mostly Tamil) . How exciting it would be if we have guys from all over India each one supporting the team from his city/ state . Then it would be lot more exciting and we can have more fun. We can provoke them and they can taunt us in return .What do you think? Now we are the only guys here
:lol: . Besides no one considers hockey as a serious sport. :(

rocketboy
23rd February 2007, 10:42 PM
Maanam pochu. Chennai Veerans lose 0 -6 to Jalandars and with this loss its curtains for Chennai pasanga.

Sanguine Sridhar
24th February 2007, 12:55 PM
RB if hockey is forced as a serious game in school during physical training classes what you say will happen after a decade!

...Cricket is a simple game with lesser game source, thats why it is very famous even in the village! and also we should not foget media and advertisements hype!

rocketboy
27th February 2007, 02:17 AM
Sridhar , no game should be forced upon people . Students should be given the choice to choose the sport according to their liking and ability.

True cricket has gained the popularity it has got now due to its simplicity. There aren't many complicated rules. It can be played even with 2 players . Stones can be made use of in the place of stumps and space requirement is also less . Doesn't require any costly equipment too . Wooden logs can serve as bats and plastic papers can be crumpled and rolled to make a ball .

But cricket is given undue importance than it actually deserves . (Come on its just a sport right . Why the hell should I be interested in knowing what Zaheer Khan does with his girlfriend when there are so many other burning issues rocking the country). Cricket has damaged and has pushed into near extinction other sports in our country. You know when this girl Shanthi won the silver medal there were some rumblings in the media that her physique played a major part in her success. Her parents laid to rest many speculations and said just because they were so poor , they couldn't feed her well and thats why she was so lean. Sad isn't it ? Sabeer Pasha got many offers from Bengal clubs but still he stuck with Indian Bank because of the job security .One of my friends played for a first division club . He was paid a handsome amount every season which was much more than an average football player got playing for the NFL. There are just no more incentives to play other sports. See whats happening in West Indies . West Indian youth are lured by the many scholarships offered by American universities and cricket lost its gloss. Same thing is happening in India to other sports. Cricket is only producing lot of lazy youth who waste their time mulling over trivial statistics .

rocketboy
27th February 2007, 02:23 AM
Sridhar , no game should be forced upon people . Students should be given the choice to choose the sport according to their liking and ability.

True cricket has gained the popularity it has got now due to its simplicity. There aren't many complicated rules. It can be played even with 2 players . Stones can be made use of in the place of stumps and space requirement is also less . Doesn't require any costly equipment too . Wooden logs can serve as bats and plastic papers can be crumpled and rolled to make a ball .

But cricket is given undue importance than it actually deserves . (Come on its just a sport right . Why the hell should I be interested in knowing what Zaheer Khan does with his girlfriend when there are so many other burning issues rocking the country). Cricket has damaged and has pushed into near extinction other sports in our country. You know when this girl Shanthi won the silver medal there were some rumblings in the media that her physique played a major part in her success. Her parents laid to rest many speculations and said just because they were so poor , they couldn't feed her well and thats why she was so lean. Sad isn't it ? Sabeer Pasha got many offers from Bengal clubs but still he stuck with Indian Bank because of the job security .One of my friends played for a first division club . He was paid a handsome amount every season which was much more than that an average football player got playing for the NFL. There are just no more incentives to play other sports. See whats happening in West Indies . West Indian youth are lured by the many scholarships offered by American universities and cricket lost its gloss. Same thing is happening in India to other sports. Cricket is only producing lot of lazy youth who waste their time mulling over trivial statistics .

rocketboy
7th March 2007, 01:15 PM
Sharath is making rapid strides. He broke into top 100 this month and if keeps playing like this he may soon find himself in the top 50.

I wish him the very best. Incidently we both studied in the same class and same school. :)

Anoushka
8th May 2007, 05:11 PM
anyone watch world snooker championship over the past couple of weeks? (the finals were yesterday and day before!)

John Higgins did a wonderful job...there were a few good shots, a few silly misses and it was a close match between himself and Mark Selby! :)

rocketboy
28th August 2007, 10:50 PM
Tomorrow Indians face the Syrians in the final of Nehru Cup international football tournament . The Syrians have been dominant forces ever since the start of the tournament but I am sure the Indians won't let them have a field day . So whats new with this Indian team? They have got a new coach , a foreigner by name Bob Houghton . He is the second foreigner to be appointed after Stephen Constantine . Baichung Bhutia is in his elements again much to the delight of the Indian fans. Watch out guys :)

rocketboy
29th August 2007, 09:02 PM
India demolish Syria :)

Yaar kitta 8-)

Nerd
30th August 2007, 06:38 AM
Thats indeed some good news rocketboy :victory:

ThalaNass
1st September 2007, 07:06 AM
Thats indeed some good news rocketboy :victory:

:yes: there is still some hope for "other" sports in India.. 8-)

Anoushka
22nd April 2008, 02:33 AM
Back here again asking if anyone is following snooker championships?

MrJudge
22nd April 2008, 12:02 PM
Back here again asking if anyone is following snooker championships?

I don't think they telecast it here in India, do they? I have seen pool championships live on Star sports, I am interested in them but don't follow it regularly.

Anoushka
22nd April 2008, 04:54 PM
I am not sure.... I watch it on BBC here.

Raikkonen
22nd April 2008, 05:28 PM
is Ronnie O Sullivan still in the tournament? my friend in ibm here is a huge fan of him and always say he is the greatest snooker player ever... that's really quite something

Anoushka
22nd April 2008, 07:45 PM
Yep Ronnie is in :) I like Ronnie, and I love to watch Peter Ebdon play :)

MrJudge
23rd April 2008, 11:51 AM
I am not sure.... I watch it on BBC here.

Oh..OK. We don't get BBC sport here.

Sanguine Sridhar
23rd April 2008, 11:54 AM
What is the difference between Billiards and Snooker? :roll:

mgb
23rd April 2008, 12:03 PM
sridhar.. snookerla neraya colors irukkum :P billiardsla white and red mattumdhaan :evil:
billiardsla moththamaave moonu pandhudhaan :evil: snookerla 17 :P

Sanguine Sridhar
23rd April 2008, 12:11 PM
sridhar.. snookerla neraya colors irukkum :P billiardsla white and red mattumdhaan :evil:

Oh thanks brother! naan Billiards paathadhilla. I have seen snooker :P I think they have some order of colours to shoot the balls.

MrJudge
23rd April 2008, 12:15 PM

Billiards played with solids and striped balls that are numbered from 1 to 15. One team plays solids and other team plays stripes. If only one player plays he has to sink in from the lower numbers. You have to make the 8 ball at last. There are so many variants in billiards games, ex. 8 ball etc..

Snooker tables are large and the balls all are in solid colours (15 red balls and 6 other coloured balls and one cue ball). Each ball has different points and whoever makes the most points wins the frame.

Playing Snooker is really tough as the pockets are so small and you have to be really smart to make them in those angles.

mgb
23rd April 2008, 12:16 PM

Oh thanks brother! naan Billiards paathadhilla. I have seen snooker :P I think they have some order of colours to shoot the balls.:yes: you have to pot a red ball followed by a color and each color carries values from 2 to 8, red carries 1. Unlike the red ones, the colored ones comes back to the table and finally they will be potted after all the red ones are over :P your chance stops when you miss a pot

In billiards you can pot the red one or do a cannon.. the potted ball keeps coming to the centre.. you will have two strike balls ear marked for the two players unlike snooker where you have only one common strike ball :)

Sanguine Sridhar
23rd April 2008, 12:53 PM
Thank you Judge and mgb :)

Anoushka
23rd April 2008, 05:09 PM
billiardsla moththamaave moonu pandhudhaan :evil: snookerla 17 :P to give you more details about the colours and points....

red - 1
yellow - 2
green - 3
brown - 4
blue - 5
pink - 6
black - 7

I love watching it... when I play potting a red itself is such a big work! (half the time I play in a pool table which is much smaller :lol: ) those guys pot the red each time and screw back for the black! red followed by a black each time is the best you can play and score a max of 147 points!

MrJudge
23rd April 2008, 06:36 PM
I love watching it... when I play potting a red itself is such a big work! (half the time I play in a pool table which is much smaller

Yes, pool tables are small and just easy to play. I tried snooker only once. One of my friend's in-law who is so good in Snooker asked to us to play against him. Me and my another friend one team and my friend and his in-law another team, I was like :shaking: But we won the first game (by luck?), we were beaten so badly in the second game. couldn't take it anymore and I quit :lol:

Anoushka
23rd April 2008, 09:32 PM
The weather here makes it easy to play indoor games like snooker, pool and bowling! My husband is a good enough player :) And we used to have 24 hour centres open here so it was just easy to go on a saturday night when we got bored at home! Now life has become busy with my wee man so don't play any of these anymore. Though we did manage to go bowling last month! :)

Raikkonen
24th April 2008, 12:54 PM
i have a snooker table in my house.. its pretty easy to play (with the spider of course :lol:)

MrJudge
24th April 2008, 01:29 PM
i have a snooker table in my house.. its pretty easy to play (with the spider of course

Oru get-together podalaama?? I want to beat you in your own house :D

Anoushka
24th April 2008, 04:20 PM
i have a snooker table in my house.. its pretty easy to play (with the spider of course :lol:) Lucky you :) and yes, the spider makes it easy :)

Raikkonen
25th April 2008, 01:11 PM
i have a snooker table in my house.. its pretty easy to play (with the spider of course

Oru get-together podalaama?? I want to beat you in your own house :D

tokkarthunnu mudivayidchu..pinna enga totta enna :lol:
we can play in network.. but i don't have much time now, so maybe in the future we can log on and play

thilak4life
25th April 2008, 02:19 PM
Talking of Ronnie O Sullivan, he's a hardcore Arsenal fan. He owns a box in Emirates too.

MrJudge
25th April 2008, 05:01 PM
tokkarthunnu mudivayidchu..pinna enga totta enna
we can play in network.. but i don't have much time now, so maybe in the future we can log on and play

:lol:

You mean playing online? Yeah, may be in the future.

Anoushka
4th May 2008, 05:52 PM
Ronnie O sullivan is in the finals against Allister Carter

Anoushka
4th May 2008, 09:19 PM
India's second ever victory in A1 :bluejump: :redjump:

ajithfederer
5th May 2008, 10:25 AM
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/devils-advocate-viswanathan-anand-on-chess-mind-games/64541-5-p0.html

Devil's Advocate: Viswanathan Anand on chess, mind games

:thumbsup:

Nerd
5th May 2008, 09:54 PM
Thamizhan narain :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Anoushka
6th May 2008, 04:35 PM
Thamizhan narain :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Yep, it was him both the times :)

Raikkonen
6th May 2008, 04:51 PM

And he has won it..
The man is awesome.. he just needs to keep his head in one place though...

mgb
6th May 2008, 05:33 PM
Thamizhan narain :thumbsup: :thumbsup:the way in which the second pit stop was managed.. kudos to the entire support staff members :thumbsup:

Anoushka
10th May 2008, 08:19 PM

And he has won it..
The man is awesome.. he just needs to keep his head in one place though... yep! :)

ajithfederer
21st October 2008, 08:26 AM
[tscii:1fe7a21a36]http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=337745

On Friday evening, one of India’s greatest sportsmen moved one crucial step forward in a bid to reaffirm that he is the best at what he does. His feat was blotted out of public consciousness because it coincided with Sachin Tendulkar easing ahead of Brian Lara.

Viswanathan Anand’s win in the third game of his 12-game world chess championship match in Bonn was actually a bigger sporting achievement than Tendulkar’s 88 at Mohali. It came on a larger stage, under more pressure, with far more at stake.

Anand is a world champion at a sport played by millions across 160 nations; he is defending the title he won in 2007, against Vladimir Kramnik of Russia, with €1.5 million on the side as prize money, and an immeasurable amount of prestige at stake.

A win in one game, of course, doesn’t guarantee Anand will keep the title with nine games to play. Kramnik is known for good nerves. But the win does put the Indian Grandmaster in front.

Drawing parallels between a great performer in a team sport and a great performer in an individual sport is invidious. But in this case, it’s irresistible because of the concatenation of age and circumstances.

Like Tendulkar, the soft-spoken 38-year-old from Chennai is into his third decade as a world class performer. He won his first big title, the World Junior Championship, as a 17-year-old in 1987, two years before the slightly younger Mumbaikar arrived on the international stage.

Anand is far less well known than SRT in his homeland. But he’s far more likely to be asked for an autograph in Eastern Europe or Latin America. Since the early 1990s, he has been consistently among the top three. He has been voted player of the year five times by his peers. Endorsements and IPL apart, he routinely earns more in prize money and appearance fees than the entire Indian cricket team combined.

Anand has been world champion twice. The first time, he was not undisputed champion because of a long-standing schism in chess. The second time, there was no dispute but the format was universally reckoned unsatisfactory, even by Anand. If he wins at Bonn, he will have reaffirmed his right to hold a 122-year-old title and achieved the incredible feat of winning it thrice under different formats.

Chess is a gladiatorial sport, often described as mental boxing. Two people slug it out, toe to toe, trying to beat each other up psychologically. The title is ideally traded in match play — more convincing than tournaments, which can be won by beating tail-enders.

A challenger qualifies by winning one-on-one matches against other wannabe contenders to play an extended set of games against the champion, who has himself reached the top via the same process. Matches are won by the player more adept at decoding the opponent’s style and more capable of holding their nerves at crunch moments.

The sport is administered by the World Chess Federation (Federacion Internationale De’ Echecs or Fide). In 1993, reigning champion Garry Kasparov walked out. Over the next 12 years, Kasparov remained no:1 on the ratings but refused to play in Fide contests. In 2000, Anand won the Fide title contest even as Kasparov suffered defeat in match-play to Kramnik and conceded his “title”. As a result there were two “champions”, a situation boxing fans will find familiar.

In 2005, after Kasparov retired, Fide made energetic attempts to reunify the title. Veselin Topalov won a world title tournament marred by Kramnik’s refusal to participate. In 2007, Kramnik agreed to play a title tournament in Mexico along with Anand and four other modern greats. Kramnik’s pound of flesh was a world championship match in case he did not win at Mexico. Anand won Mexico and became champion. Bonn is that promised title match.

Kramnik along with Kasparov and Anand is part of a small coterie that dominated for 15 years, with occasional bursts of brilliance from Topalov. Anand and Kramnik know each other well. They have played over 100 games against each other in various formats.

So far, the reality of Bonn has lived up to the promise with very high-quality, exciting play. On the basis of the first three games, Anand’s preparation appears slightly superior. He leads 1-0, and he has made more of the running.

Anand’s contribution to Indian chess goes a long way beyond being one genius in an ocean of mediocrity. His feats have inspired two entire generations. A horde of young boys and girls now have the confidence to take the world on, on their own terms. At the moment, three of the four most prestigious titles in chess are held by Indians.

The world junior champion is Indian, so is the world under-20 girls’ champion. There are two more Indians in the top 50 and dozens of teenaged prodigies. The talent pipeline started with Anand. It will not dry up after he retires. That will perhaps be his most enduring legacy apart from the wonderful games he has produced over the years.

[/tscii:1fe7a21a36]

wrap07
21st October 2008, 10:23 PM
[tscii:29462b8f34]http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=337745

Drawing parallels between a great performer in a team sport and a great performer in an individual sport is invidious. But in this case, it’s irresistible because of the concatenation of age and circumstances.

Anand’s contribution to Indian chess goes a long way beyond being one genius in an ocean of mediocrity. His feats have inspired two entire generations. A horde of young boys and girls now have the confidence to take the world on, on their own terms. At the moment, three of the four most prestigious titles in chess are held by Indians.

The world junior champion is Indian, so is the world under-20 girls’ champion. There are two more Indians in the top 50 and dozens of teenaged prodigies. The talent pipeline started with Anand. It will not dry up after he retires. That will perhaps be his most enduring legacy apart from the wonderful games he has produced over the years.

[/tscii:29462b8f34]

:D :clap:
Anand has two points lead as of today.

ajithfederer
29th October 2008, 11:05 PM
http://sports.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Anand_retains_World_Chess_Championship/articleshow/3652758.cms

NEW DELHI: World Champion Viswanathan Anand retained the world crown by taking another draw with challenger Vladimir Kramnik of Russia in the 11th
Anand & Kramnik
Challenger Vladimir Kramnik of Russia leans back before his first move with the black stones in the 11th game against defending Chess World Champion Viswanathan Anand in Bonn on October 29, 2008. (Reuters Photo)
game of the world championship match in Bonn on Wednesday.

Playing his final white game against the Russian, Anand forced Kramnik for a draw after the 24th move to win the championship 6.5-4.5.

Anand was in the driver seat even before the start of the penultimate game of the championship as he required only a draw against his challenger Kramnik to clinch the title. And after the 10th game fiasco, Anand kept things under control against the Russian through-out the match on Wednesday.

In the tenth game on Monday, for the first time Kramnik came into reckoning in what had been a one-sided affair so far. The Russian punished Anand's reckless play in great style and proved his fighting qualities just while everyone thought that the match was over.

The 12-game final carries a purse of 1.5 million euros (about $1.8 million) and both get equal amounts regardless of the result on Wednesday.

Anand's achievements so far:

1985: Arjuna Award, Outstanding Indian Sportsman (Chess)
1987: Padma Shri, youngest ever recipient
1991-92: Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, first ever recipient
1997: Chess "Oscar" Best Chess Player of 1997
1998: Chess "Oscar" Best Chess Player of 1998
1998: Sportstar Millenium Award, from India's premier Sports magazine for being the sportperson of the millenium
2000: Padma Bhushan, for being the first Asian to win the World Championship
2003: Chess " Oscar" Best Chess Player of 2003
2004: Chess " Oscar" Best Chess Player of 2004
2007: World Chess Champion (undisputed)
2007: Was awarded the second highest civilian award of India, the Padma Vibhushan

:clap: :clap: :clap:

wrap07
30th October 2008, 11:32 AM
:clap:

Anand, the World Champion :D
Unique distinction of winning Word title in three different formats, knockout format in 2000, tournament format in 2007 and match format in 2008.

wrap07
31st October 2008, 09:51 PM
http://www.hindu.com/2008/10/31/stories/2008103162871900.htm

India dominates World Youth championships

Vung Tau (Vietnam): India finished the World Youth chess championships at Vietnam with four gold, two silver and two bronze medals. As expected, Baskaran Adhiban, Vidit Gujrathi and Sayantan Das played well to get their World titles.

The only miss was in the girls’ under-12 where Bodda Pratyusha was defeated and settled for bronze.

Silver medals were got by S.P. Sethuraman in the under-16 boys and R. Preethi in the under-18 girls.

The second bronze was won by Debashis Das in the boys’ under-16.

With the four gold medals India won the team championship which gets 30 chess clocks for the country. The second best country was Croatia with two gold medals in the under-18 sections.
Second gold

Adhiban won India’s second gold medal when he drew with Eric Hansen of Canada in the under-16 to stay out of reach from the pursuing pack. Cuttack’s Debashis Das added a bronze to Sethuraman’s silver in this section.

Sayantan Das gave a wonderful performance against Mikhal Antipov of Russia in the under-12.

In a complicated position he carried out a devastating attack swinging his queen from side to side to checkmate his opponent.

Gujrathi won his game against Emmanuel Garcia of Philippines while his joint leader of the previous round, Lortkipanidze of Georgia, could only draw.

This performance also gave him his third and final International Master norm which needs to be approved by FIDE.

He had got his first norm from the Chennai National ‘A’ and the second from the Commonwealth Championship at Nagpur.

Vidit Gujrathi (under-14)

Padmini Rout, who had already won the under-14 girls on Wednesday, drew her final game to finish her tournament quietly. Pratyusha played her heart out to win. With the black pieces she made a dubious sacrifice of a bishop for two pawns.

However, in due course the dynamics changed and she achieved an unbalanced position with good possibilities when she overstepped the time limit and lost on the 35th move.
Silver for Preethi

Rajkumar Preethi from Madurai won the silver medal in the under-18 girls section with an unbelievable victory against Maria Gosciniak of Poland.

B. Adhiban (under-16) who won the titles in the World Youth chess championships.

Her queen and king hunted down white’s king despite a preponderance of rook, knight and many pawns for white.

This also gave Preethi a possible Woman International Master norm as she did not meet enough titled players. This is also the case with Vidit’s norm in the under-14.

All the world champions received a laptop as an additional prize. The top ten players in each category were given prizes. Apart from the medals and prizes for the top ten players in each category, the organisers also gave team prizes for the best three performers of each country in each category.

India has dominated this championship missing out in the team prizes in only five of the 12 categories.

All world champions and Indians in the top ten in each category:

Boys: Under-8: 1. Tran Minh Thang (Vie); 8. M. Sabhareesh; 10. Abhimanyu Puranik.

Under-10: 1. Jan-Krzystof Duda (Pol); 4. Diptayan Ghosh.

Under-12: 1. Sayantan Das; 5. Shardul Gagare; 6. Shiven Khosla; 10. Girish Koushik.

Under-14: 1 Vidit Gujrathi; 7. N. Srinath.

Under-16: 1. B. Adhiban; 2. S.P. Sethuraman; 3. Debashis Das; 6. K. Priyadarshan.

Under-18: Ivan Seric (Cro).

Girls: Under-8: 1. Zhansaya Adbumalik (Ksa); 10. Riya Savant.

Under-10: 1. Aleksandra Goryachkina (Rus); 5. Sunyasaktha Satpathy; 10. M. Mahalakshmi.

Under-12: 1. Zhai Mo (Chn); 3. Pratyusha Bodda; 10. P.V. Nandhidhaa.

Under-14: 1. Padmini Rout; 8. Shalmali Gagare.

Under-16: 1. Nazi Paikidze (Geo). Under-18: Valentina Golubenko (CRO); 2. R. Preethi.

ajithfederer
21st November 2008, 11:37 PM
http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/showsports.aspx?id=SPOEN20080073580

Indian sportspersons successes fuelled Anand's ambition

Press Trust of India
Friday, November 21, 2008 ()
World Champion
Viswanathan Anand on Friday said a series of successes by various Indian sportspersons had added to his motivation level to defend his title against Vladimir Kramnik of Russia.

"I am really happy to see so many sporting success for India this year. Apart from cricket, I could follow Abhinav Bindra and Saina Nehwal's triumphs. In fact, that gave me a little bit of extra motivation to win back my title," Anand said on his return to Chennai for the first time after reclaiming the crown.

The 38-year-old chess ace said he was proud to thump former World Champion Kramnik in a 12-game match - a format which is supposed to be the Russian's forte.

"It is unheard of to take a three-point lead, especially against a player like Kramnik," he said and admitted that his "opening preparations played a big part" in his success. "Games 3 and 5 were not only important wins but they were also beautiful wins," added Anand, referring to his three-point lead at Bonn, Germany last month.

Anand said he was also proud of his consistency and that he managed to peak in the right years because of which he reached the pinnacle of the game.

"I am pretty proud of my consistency. I am in top-three (rankings) from 1996 till today... I also managed to peak in the right years which is very important," he said.

But Anand refused that he had reached the cul de sac as far as chess was concerned.

"I am still learning a lot about chess. I am enthusiastic about chess and motivated to play," he told NDTV. Asked about the legacy he has created in Indian chess, Anand said, "I am both happy and proud that I made the contribution to make India a potential power in chess".

MrJudge
5th January 2009, 03:40 PM
Anyone seen the world darts championship here? Last night I could watch the game live (upto 5 sets) and Phil Taylor :notworthy: was just too good.