PDA

View Full Version : WORKS OF KALKI - THE GREAT HISTORICAL NOVELS

selvakumar
2nd June 2005, 02:48 PM
Friends,
Discuss here the everlasting works of Amarar Kalki's historical novels like sivagaamiyin sabatham, paandiyan parisu and Paarthipan kanavu.

sanjay
15th June 2005, 01:43 PM
I happened to read the english translation of "parthiban kanavu".

Commendable attempt.

chidambaram
31st December 2005, 10:58 PM
Though it was written fifty years ago, still most loved historical novel in Tamil. Great!

swathy
1st March 2006, 04:54 PM
I have read Sivagami sabadham,Parthiban Kanavu, Ponniyin selvan and Alai osai.

I liked the way he describes about the place or people. I really longed to live in those king rule period.

Still vandhiya thevan live in hearts of many people and I read somewhere that even Kamalji hesitated to do the role as the way kalki described made ppl to have wild imagination about him.

Rajaraja chozhan introduction is excellent in ponniyin selvan.

Alai osai novel was good. His opinion about Delhi and Tajmahal was reflected in this novel.

I read these novels long back. I should refresh it again :-)

venkatesannagappan
1st July 2006, 08:57 PM
I hav read the ponniyin selvan many times , whenever i read i myself imagine as the character vandiyadevan , bcos he is very humourous person i liked that very much. As u told we all missed the oppurtunities of living during the reign of raja raja cholan , its said to be PORKALAM for the people.

madhu
2nd July 2006, 06:19 AM
which is the most beautifully etched character in Kalki's novels? opinions...?

sundararaj
30th November 2006, 10:25 AM
Excellent works

sipi
30th November 2006, 09:32 PM
Friends,
Discuss here the everlasting works of Amarar Kalki's historical novels like sivagaamiyin sabatham, paandiyan parisu and Paarthipan kanavu.

selva kumar, is he written paandiyan parisu??? :? i think, paandiyan parisu was written by paavendhar bharathi dasan.

sipi
30th November 2006, 09:34 PM
which is the most beautifully etched character in Kalki's novels? opinions...?

madhu, etched character means???

S.Balaji
30th November 2006, 09:50 PM
Selvakumar

Nice thread !

Pls add Alai osai and Ponniyin selvan to your list.

I will cover Parthiban kanavu soon

sipi
30th November 2006, 10:02 PM
[tscii:0de3d5ee6d]i read, ponniyin selvan several times... i remember the first day, when i heard abt ponniyin selvan... while, i am studying in college first year. one of my friend introduced ponniyin selvan.. he always talks abt ponniyin selvan and the characters arul mozhi, vandhiya devan, kundhavai, nandhini, pazhuvetaraiyar, thirumalai appan etc... whenever, i heard abt the characters and the scene, i starts to love ponniyin selvan novel and the characters very much.... once, i got the novel and starts to read that.... uhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! wonderfull... still i remember those days... i can’t able to stop the novel in middle... (my mom scolded me, but I didn’t heard anything) after, I finished the novel only I felt relax… really, such a nice novel… enna, azhuva vacha novel um kooda…(manimegalai, en manadhai migavum paadhitha paathiram…) when I closed the book, all the characters strongly captured my mind… every year I read the novel… idhu varaikum konjam kooda alukala… 6 times padichi iruken… hmmm.. innum kooda padipen.. again and again…

ponniyin selvan padicha paadhipu, ennai kalki-in ezhuthulaika padika adhigamaga thoondiyadhu… sivagami sabadham, parthiban kanavu, mogini theevu, solaimalai ilavarasi, magudapathy, sirukadhai kadhaigal (ellam) padithu vitten… ellam arumaiyana ezhuthukal… sivagami sabadham mudivum migavum baadhithadhu… matravargalai vida thalapathi paranjothi en manadhil aazhamaga pathindhar… poruku piragu avar edukum mudivu magathanadhu… (thiruvilaiyadal puranathil, 63 naayanmargalil oruvaraga vilangum siru thondarin vazhaikaiyai ariyum bozhudhu mei silirthadhu)

parthiban kanavu is also a good writing and also the short stories… all are very nice… amara vazhvu, pirabala natchathiram, punnaivanathu puli, idindha kotai, mayil vizhi maan, kaandhimadhiyin kaadhalan, paazhadaindha bungalow, vaira modhiram, veenai bavani, devagiyin kanavan, kaadharaak kallan – indha siru kadhaigal ellam arpudhamanavaigal…

hi short stories describe that he know to write abt all type of stories (sentimental, historical, patriotic & also humorous)
[/tscii:0de3d5ee6d]

sipi
30th November 2006, 10:03 PM
use this link to read all novels & stories of kalki...

http://www.chennailibrary.com/kalki/kalki.html

crazy
5th August 2007, 04:44 PM
Finished reading Sivagaamiyin Sabatham :redjump: :bluejump:

Excellent work.... :thumbsup: :notworthy:

Felt sorry for Sivagaami :cry: and hated that king Mahendra Pallavar :x

Started reading Ponniyin Selvan :P Hopes its just as enjoyable as SS

sipi
11th August 2007, 10:18 AM
Finished reading Sivagaamiyin Sabatham :redjump: :bluejump:

Excellent work.... :thumbsup: :notworthy:

Felt sorry for Sivagaami :cry: and hated that king Mahendra Pallavar :x

Started reading Ponniyin Selvan :P Hopes its just as enjoyable as SS

dont hope... believe... PS 100% enjoyable one... last week i finished PS... 8th time... still its very nice.....

crazy
11th August 2007, 12:26 PM
Hi sipi anna :)

finished the PS II ...nothing to comment so far....but going very interesting :P

sipi
11th August 2007, 12:30 PM
Hi sipi anna :)

finished the PS II ...nothing to comment so far....but going very interesting :P

yea... ofcourse... even, you finish fully... i think, u cant comment any... have to tell the truth... nothing special in that.. but, some thing special in PS....
THAT IS MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE INTERESTING NOVEL than anyother all....

A VERY GOOD TIME PASS... idhu varaikum 8 times padichi iruken... but konjam kooda salipu thattala.. .avalo interesting... innum kooda again padikanum nu thaan thonudhu...

once u finished PS, u never like any other historical novel when u compare this...

crazy
11th August 2007, 12:32 PM
hope so.... :P

i really enjoyed the description of old cities, spc those places in SL :)

sipi
11th August 2007, 12:35 PM
hope so.... :P

i really enjoyed the description of old cities, spc those places in SL :)

hahaha.... kalki ku karpanai valam romba jasthi......

3 rd part konjam sadharnama thaan irukum... but enaku romba pidicha scene 3rd part la thaan varudhu... padichi mudichitu sollu.. hows third part???

And my favourite & loveable character will introduce on 4 th part.... lets waiting for your comment abt that character...

crazy
11th August 2007, 12:37 PM
padichu solluren :)

crazy
20th August 2007, 11:26 PM
finished reading Ponniyin Selvan :redjump: :bluejump:

Kalki :notworthy:

my fav character is vandiyadevan :P he is the hero :thumbsup:

i hated the way the author ended the novel...wish he wrote a bit...at least about what happened to nandhini :( well, he did wrote a word or two about her and others in mudivurai.....but still :x

and poonguzhali :thumbsup:

felt tears when aditya karikalar died :cry2: but soon....many interesting chapters came...and made me forgot that "tragedy"

never expected sentham amudhan was the real son of sembian madevi :shock:

my fav chapter must be the chapter where aditya karikalar's grandpa tells the joy they had when he was born ....so touchy :(

wasnt expecting such an end....the end was also very :(

who/ what else???

I simply loved reading PS :P

I must thank all who recommended kalki's novel to me....nothing is comparable with Kalki's works in thamizh (as far as i know :oops: ) :clap:

bingleguy
21st August 2007, 12:32 AM
ippadi ella secret aiyum odaichutta :shock: pudhusaa padikkiravangalukkum paakaravangalukkum interest eppadi irukkum :P

crazy
21st August 2007, 11:08 AM
BG, sorry....i shall edit some of them.....

mostly andha books padicha vanga thaan inge vaaranga....atha ninachu thaan ezhuditten :oops: :(

Thamizh-ahsan
2nd January 2008, 12:21 AM
Hi guys, I am a fan of PS too.
Recently I read Winter in Kandahaar by Steven Wilson.
The writing style )(description of the scenes) is a lot like Kalki style. Try this novel.

sivank
13th January 2008, 04:15 PM
[tscii:afc8414945]I am happy that this thread is being revived again.

Amarar Kalki´s Parthiban Kanavu followed by Sivagaamiyin Sabatham and Ponniyin Selvan could be called the 3 perum kaapiyams of our age. Even though many Saandilyan fans would disagree with me I still find Kalki´s way of writing much easier to follow and interesting. I would be happy if more hubbers would participate in this thread .

I would like to discuss about Parthiban Kanavu since it was the frist of Kalki´s Mupperum Kaapiyam.[/tscii:afc8414945]

sivank
14th January 2008, 12:51 PM
[tscii:b203a3bad6]As I mentioned PK was the first historical novel of Kalki. Kalki created a fantastic story with the use of fiction and fact. Going to the period of Narasimha pallava as he came back from vatapi after defeating Pulikesi the plot of the story thickens.

Parthiban the king of urayur cholas ( chola kingdom is not anymore the big one as it used to be under karikalan or killivalavan) is paying taxes to the Pallava Empire and ruling a small kingdom, which he dosen´t do with whole heart. He would like to be an independent king ruling a free chola kingdom. That is his dream. He wants to live it atleast through his son or his succesors[/tscii:b203a3bad6]

Shakthiprabha.
14th January 2008, 01:08 PM
sivan,

saw ur pm, why dont u write more bout parthipan kanavu. I have not read PK still

podalangai
14th January 2008, 05:26 PM
[tscii:2593e02ed0]
I would like to discuss about Parthiban Kanavu since it was the frist of Kalki´s Mupperum Kaapiyam.
Excellent idea. It is a beautiful book. The text is available online in two parts, which will make discussion easier since we can directly refer to passages:
http://www.tamil.net/projectmadurai/pub/pm0214/pkanavu1.pdf
http://www.tamil.net/projectmadurai/pub/pm0223/pm0223.pdf[/tscii:2593e02ed0]

sivank
8th January 2009, 09:07 PM
Any one for this thread

Anban
23rd January 2009, 01:30 PM
Any one for this thread yea.. I am here..

Read Ponniyin selvan.. top class.. out of this world..

have to read SIvagaamiyin sabatham and Paarthiban kanavu

hamid
23rd January 2009, 01:35 PM
Hi..

Ponniyin Selvan and Sivakaamiyin Sabatham are the best historic novels I have read till date..

parthiban kanav is nice one..but not as instrestign and entertaining as the other two.

PK was first written??? i thought Pk was somewhat a squel to SS. :?

sivank
23rd January 2009, 01:41 PM
Hi Anban and Hamid

Hamid, can you please explain how you meant that PK was not so interesting as SS and PS.

hamid
23rd January 2009, 01:50 PM
Hi Anban and Hamid

Hamid, can you please explain how you meant that PK was not so interesting as SS and PS.

Sivan,

I believe everyone agrees on this and no need to explain.. but anyway we can have it as a starting point for our disucssions.
I have seen almost everyone who has read these novels say PS and SS are the best.. PK was not mentioned like that by most.

I dont remember PK like PS or SS.. Alomst all chapters run like a scene in our mind when we read PS or SS.. but it is not the same in PK and i dont remember much of it even if I want to recollect.

Also it was not that much adventurous or love based like the other two.

Indumathi
14th February 2009, 03:23 PM
Hi,
You all enjoyed the story very much. But the assassination of aditya karikalan is unfair.
May be it's the truth but I just dont like the ending.
Somebody can tell me that the story behind aditya in ps is true or imagination? Because in the real history no reasons are given for aditya's assassination.
Nandhini is a real one ?

sivank
16th February 2009, 08:47 PM
Hi Indumathi, welcome to this thread. The assasination of Adhitha Karikala was a real one. Two namboodhri brahmins named ravidasa and parameswaran were accused of this murder and were punished by Raja Raja 16 years after the murder. Copper plates found in Thiruvaalankaadu describes the assasination of AK.

Nandhini is a fictional character created by Kalki.

Indumathi
16th February 2009, 09:12 PM
So, Nandhini was not ever loved by AK? But in the story , the reason behind his 'kolai' was nandhini . Why kalki made this character?

Shakthiprabha.
16th February 2009, 09:16 PM
சிவகாமி was fictional I dont think நந்தினி was fictional.

sivank
16th February 2009, 09:22 PM
[tscii:23047a109a]Nandhini was a fictional character like Senthan Amudhan, poonkuzhali and aazhwaarkadiyaan.

Indumathi, according to the story, Nandhini was a very dejected person in her life. Never experienced love at any time. Her first Love AK was not there as she´needed him against the attacks of Kundhavai. [/tscii:23047a109a]

Indumathi
17th February 2009, 11:01 AM
Unmaile endha oru pennume AK vazhkaiyle varamale kuda irundhirukalam . aena avar ilamaile irandhuvittar illaiya?

anal aen kalki pennin chulchiye adharku karanama sollanum?

Ak maha veeran . avar 16 vayidhileye porkkalam ponavar. avarai oru " mentally weak person"-a kattiruppadhu sariya?

sivank
18th February 2009, 02:40 PM
Unmaile endha oru pennume AK vazhkaiyle varamale kuda irundhirukalam . aena avar ilamaile irandhuvittar illaiya?

anal aen kalki pennin chulchiye adharku karanama sollanum?

Ak maha veeran . avar 16 vayidhileye porkkalam ponavar. avarai oru " mentally weak person"-a kattiruppadhu sariya?

AK assasination pathi neraya theories irukku. Madhurandhaga Uthama chozhan and his mother senbiyan maa dhevi thaan pannaanga nu oru strong theroy irukku. Ravidasan and Parameswaran were like kings under the rule of Uthama Chola. Udaiyarkudi la avanga Brahmaraayaraa irundhu rule panni irukaanga. Raja raja period la thaan avangalukku punishment kidachadhu. Idha innikkum Udaiyarkudi temple la padikkalaam

Ak was 12 as he fist went for war. Sevur battle la kalandhukka pona AK was considered to be a cruel and ruthless leader. Porumai illaadha restless character. Adhanaaleye avana yaarukkum pudikkaama pochu. Yaaraiyum nambaadha, madhikkaadha gunam. So most of them prefered AM than AK. Moreover, kovur thevar a sithar who was very influential with the Royal family predicted that AM will be a great king. AK never believed in such things and was angry that he was being sidetracked

Indumathi
18th February 2009, 10:06 PM
Koduramana manidhanukkul love irundhirukkuma? Anal kalki sir avarai oru eppadi solluradhunnu theriyalai. Ungalukku theriume kadhaile avaroda char eppadi irundhadhunnu.
Ulagathile ellathaiume vida oru ponnu thane avarukku mukkiama irundhadhu.
Kalki sir avarai aen oru lover madhiri uruvakkirukanum?

Oru cruel man-a kattirukkalame!

Appadi kattirundhal indha alaukku naanum avarai patthie pesittu irukka maten.

Ella charium pola idhum onnu appadinnu sadharanama vitturupen.

sivank
18th February 2009, 11:12 PM
Kalki AK koduramanavan nu neraya idaththula kaati irukkaare. Ak voda thaatha Malayamaan than peranoda sitha swaadheenam/koduram pathi kavala padara situation 4th volume arambathula varum. Vandhiyadhevan AK voda kodura por muraiya pathi yosikkira situation 2nd volume la varum. Kundhavi AK va vida AM raaja va varathukku aasapadaradhu 1st volume la ye varum. AK ve thanakku por seyya thaan pudikkum raajyam vendaam nu solra situation 4th and 5th volmune varum. Ippadi kalki neraya idaththula kodi kaattittu poi irukkaar.

Moreover, 5th volume ezhudhum podhu kalki kku udambu seri illa. 5th volume mudikkaamale avar poittaar mudichadhu avaroda son and daughther nu solravaalum undu