PDA

View Full Version : MALAYALAM MOVIE FANS, PLEASE HELP

Girish11
1st June 2005, 06:20 AM
Hi everyone.

Malayalam movie fans, kindly help me out.

I have a list of Malayalam movies possible to get, since I am
not a Malayali and I dont watch Malayalam movies regularly,
I dont know which are good movies. But I enjoy watching
Malayalam movies and keen to watch the good ones.
I tried to find a website which gives good honest reviews and
a good database covering reviews of all Malayalam movies
including old movies but I cannot find one.

So, please give me your unbiased opinion on the movies in
below list and also suggest good websites for seeing
the reviews. Thanks in advance.

Snehidan
Chandramudikunna dikkil
Mazha kilukkam
Youth festival
Sangham
Sathyam
Valathottu thirinjal nalamathe veedu
Maambazhakaalam
Vesham
Vettam
Mr.Clean
Yathra kannudey sradhaykku
Pulival kalyanam
Lelam
Bootha kannai
Pulival kannadi
Pappan priyapatta pappan
Mazhothulli kizhukkam
Rakshasa rajavu
Raavana prabhu
Pakalpooram
Swapnakude
Panjabi house
Muthaaram kunnu
Chronic bachelor
Dubai
Nizhal kuthu
Kalyanaraman
Aaraam thampuran
Niram
Malayali mamanu vanakkam
vadakku nokki yanthram
Gramaphone
Kilichundan mambazham
Black
Rajavinte makan
vasantha malika
Summer in Bethelhem
Njan salpperu Ramankutty
Kaikudanna Nilavu
One man show
Vettom
Vellinakshathram
Vellanakaludey nadu
Minnaram
Mokkatha dorrathu kannum nattu
mullavalliyum thenmavum
runway
spadikam
jagratha-cbi 2
kunjikoonam
praja
thenmavin kombath
istham
pattanathil sundaran
sadanandante samayam
thoovana thumbikal
chinthavishtayaya shyamala
yodha
thalavattom
natturajavu
peru mazhakalam
balettan
saphalam
kudumba kodathi
swapnalokathe balabhaskarn
swayamvara panthal
lal salaam
thilakkam
sooryavamsam
aniyan bava chettan bava
mr.butler
english medium
nammukkuparkkam munthri thoppukal
gandhinagar 2nd street
mazhavil kavadi
unnikale oru kadha parayam
pingami
devasurm
rain rain come again
mayilattam
sethuram iyer - cbi 3
mullavaliyum theanmavum
meesa madhavan

I know it is too many movies in the list, but please help.

Regards.

chaotic whisperz
1st June 2005, 09:02 PM
they all suck... :lol:

Cinefan
3rd June 2005, 04:33 PM
You have a big list,let me recommend a few:Sethurama Iyer 3,Devasuram(excellent film),gandhinagar 2nd street,lal salaam,perumazhakalam,thalavattom,natturajavu(huge hit)chintavistaya shyamala,thenmavin komabthu(was rehashed as Muthu in Tamil),spadikam,Summer in Bethelam(Remade as Lesa Lesa),Rajavinte Makan(excellent film),Kiluchundam Mambazhlam,Niram(was remade into Tamil starring Prashant&Shalini),Aaram thampuran,Nizhalakuthu,Chronic Bachelor(remade as Engal Anna in Tamil with Vijaykanth),Boothakannadi,Lelam,

chaotic whisperz
3rd June 2005, 11:38 PM
You have a big list,let me recommend a few:Sethurama Iyer 3,Devasuram(excellent film),gandhinagar 2nd street,lal salaam,perumazhakalam,thalavattom,natturajavu(huge hit)chintavistaya shyamala,thenmavin komabthu(was rehashed as Muthu in Tamil),spadikam,Summer in Bethelam(Remade as Lesa Lesa),Rajavinte Makan(excellent film),Kiluchundam Mambazhlam,Niram(was remade into Tamil starring Prashant&Shalini),Aaram thampuran,Nizhalakuthu,Chronic Bachelor(remade as Engal Anna in Tamil with Vijaykanth),Boothakannadi,Lelam,

yea, dude has a big list... and you decide to add to it?!?! :roll:

Girish11
4th June 2005, 12:04 AM

Thank you very much for the feedback Cinefan.:)

Regards

Cinefan
6th June 2005, 05:36 PM

Looks like you don't bother to read posts before typing. :lol:

What adding?,I am helping that hubber decrease the list.

chaotic whisperz
8th June 2005, 09:02 PM

no, i cant read :lol:

is that some standard line around here??

Cinefan
9th June 2005, 10:45 AM

Why bother to come up with your unsolicited comments when you can't read.

As for 'standard line'when someone can't read,you say so.Why try to put the message acoss in other ways?

chaotic whisperz
9th June 2005, 10:56 PM

Why bother to come up with your unsolicited comments when you can't read.

As for 'standard line'when someone can't read,you say so.Why try to put the message acoss in other ways?

you idiots are so dumb.......... if i wasnt able to read, how would i able to post replies?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?! ?!?!

Surya
10th June 2005, 07:30 AM
Sorry! No retards allowed!! :roll:

lordstanher
11th June 2005, 05:59 PM

Rite again, Surya! :wink: This guy seems to be in a really chaotic state of mind here, going on contradicting himself lately! :lol:

unni
14th June 2005, 06:02 AM
haha..wow!! great convo. has anyone seen the movie the GODFather? it's pretty old with mukhesh, siddique, thilaken, jagadeesh, innocent..etc....it's real good..i was just wondering if anyone knew the name of the lead female in the movie...i'm not sure she's a malayali but i jus wanted to know her name.

chaotic whisperz
15th June 2005, 08:08 PM

Then why the hell are you here????????????????????/

Niranjana
17th June 2005, 02:02 PM
[quote="Girish11"]Hi everyone.

Malayalam movie fans, kindly help me out.

I have a list of Malayalam movies possible to get, since I am
not a Malayali and I dont watch Malayalam movies regularly,
I dont know which are good movies. But I enjoy watching
Malayalam movies and keen to watch the good ones.
I tried to find a website which gives good honest reviews and
a good database covering reviews of all Malayalam movies
including old movies but I cannot find one.

So, please give me your unbiased opinion on the movies in
below list and also suggest good websites for seeing
the reviews. Thanks in advance.

If you can follow the language well,

watch,

Vaddaku noki yanthram (based on a real life incident of a husband with inferiority complex. Srinivasan is at his best in direction, script & acting)

Pappan Priyapetta Pappan (Comedy- I loved it)

Meesa Madhavan (Comedy- I would call it a collection of pjs...An entertainer, anyway and great songs)

Gandhinagar 2nd street (Mohanlal-Srini team obviously means FUN!)

Mr Butler (Dilip's comedy- good but the story gets rather bizzare towards in the end)

swapnalokathe balabhaskaran ( funny- I recommend this one )

Aniyan Bhava, Chettan Bhava ( Its really a comedy of errors! Fun!)

Peru mazhakaalam ( A classic Kamal Picture)

Thalavattom (I recommend this one- Nice film)

Yodha ( 3 cheers for the movie & my all time favorite Actor, Jagathy Sreekumar. A must watch!!!!!)

Chinthavishtaaya Shyamala ( Another of Srini's Triple Act- Dir, Act & Script- Veryvery good!)

Toovana Tumbigal - (When its a Padmarajan Movie, you don't need to ask anyone whether it will be good)
The same goes for Nammukku Paarakam Munthiri Thoppugal

Ishtam ( a lovely movie with comedy, songs and above all the relationship between a father & son. You'll love it!)

Nokkatha Doorathu Kannum Nattu- A nice Fazil Movie.

Vellanakaludey nadu - This is one of Lal's movies from the 80's, which had comedy rolled inside a social issue. Nice.

Minnaram - Ok- If you like the Lal gimmicks!

Kaikudunna nilavu- Could have been a better movie but somewhere something's amiss- Average.

Summer in Bethelhem- Manju Warrior is at her best! A lovely entertainer by Sibi Malayil.

Malayali mamannu Vanakkam- A comedy film by Jayaram- Rajasenan. Kalabhavan Mani as "Perumal" is at his best!. Mani prooves that he can handle 'serious roles" with as much ease as comedy ones.

Niram - A coulourful, campus Movie. But this is one Kamal movie that I HATED! This movie gives the wrong impression that a man & woman cannot be just friends. I didn't like the concept. Great songs and interesting star cast.

Kalyanaraman - Entertaining love story.

Chronic bachelor - Good one. Now, why does this man grow younger & more handsome by the day? You know who- Mamooty!

Muthaaram kunnu P O - Comedy! Good one.

Panjabi house - Colourful & Entertaining.

Rakshasa rajavu - If you like Larger than Life stuff, here's that for you. But one could watch it just to see the awesome screen presence of Mamootty. Meena as usual is a charming dove.

Raavana prabhu - The sequel of "DevaAsuram". Something like Kane & Abel. A fight between two powwerful ppl! Good though.

Bootha kannai- Classic! Mammooty is his best as a schizophrenic. A beautiful, Lohitdas Movie

Yathra karudey sradhaykku - I loved this one. Sathyan Anthikad never disappoints his audience.

Chandramudikunna dikkil- Average.

I hope I've been of help, Girish. These are the movies I would recommend.

Girish11
18th June 2005, 05:12 AM
I hope I've been of help, Girish. These are the movies I would recommend.

Thanks a lot Niranjana, of course you have been of great help
more than I expected since you just did not mention if the
movie was good or bad but gave a short one line review
for each movie you know which really helps a lot.

Many people about whom you have mentioned, I dont know
really such as Dir.Kamal, Dilip etc. I have not seen more than 15
malayalam movies, the ones I can remember are
Chanakyan, Yatra, New Delhi times, CBI diary -first part,
Amaram, Vandanam, Chitram, In Hariharan nagar, No.20 M.Mail,
One M.Lal movie in which he acts as a commando,
One movie based on dowry subject with Thilakan and Parvathi- Do
you know the name of this movie?

I can understand the language to manageable
extent, not very well, but I am really keen to watch good
Malayalam movies.

Appreciate your help. Here are a few more, can you please
give your comments on the ones you know?

Jalosalvam, Mekhmalar, Aanvaal mothiram, Iruvattom manavatti,
Vallyettan, Thekkekara

Have a nice weekend.

Regards

Niranjana
18th June 2005, 08:39 AM
Meghamalhaar- sweet, wistful, nostalgic would be my choice of words to describe. Since I mostly like offstream cinemas better, I loved this one. But this isn't purely an art movie. Its got beautiful songs. The theme is something that could happen to any one of us. Biju Menon & Samyuktha won the best pair as well as best actor awards for this movie. This again is a movie by Dir Kamal. I think u'll love this. This is one of my all time favourites.

Aanaval mothiram- is a comedy/action mix. Sreenivasan & Suresh Gopi combine in this film to give you a taste of both ends of the spectrum. I love Sreeni's tactics. So, I enjoyed this one. Average Rating.

Iruvattom Manavatti- In my opinion, this is one of the most BORING movies I've ever seen. Except for Kavya's good looks, this isn't worth wasting your time.

I've not seen the rest.

Niranjana
18th June 2005, 06:16 PM
The other films I would reccomend are :

Mizhirandillum- Kavya Madhavan, one of the best actresses of today does a marvellous job in a Double Role. The songs are excellent. Indrajit, s/o of Late Actor Sukumaran does a neat job. Good plot . Well done.

Chitram - An Excellent & a Timeless Priyadarshan- Lal Combo. A must watch.

Poochakkuru Mukuthi- A 100% Entertainer. A must watch! I have seen this movie a zillion times ..lol!

Sanmanassu ullavarkku samadanam- Like most Lal movies from the 80's, this one is also a 100% audience- friendly!

April 18- Balachandra Menon's best remembered film. Shobhana's first movie. Nice.

Mukhachitram- An entertainer with Jairam & Urvashi. Jagathy & KPAC Lalitha as usual does a neat job.

Kadinjool Kalyaanam- Jairam & Urvashi again. Funny! Urvashi is an ace actress and handles the role of the eccentric "Hridaya kumari" very well.

Pava Koothu - Jairam, Parvati & Ranjini are entangled in a triangle. For a time pass, its fine.

Shubha Yatra- A Jairam Parvati film again. Depicts the problems of keralites who live in other parts of India. Nice

Sneham- Jairam as an eldest son/elder bro & the backbone of the family does a great job. All the songs are excellent.

Paithrukam - A different movie by Jayaraj. Great songs. You'll love it.

Kilukkam petti- Jairam- Jagathy combo. A light hearted movie.

Kilukkam- Mohanlal- Jagathy combination which is simply GREAT!

Nadodikaattu }
Pattanapravesham -} Sequels. REALLY GOOD.
Akkare akkare akkare}

Girish11
19th June 2005, 02:42 AM
Meghamalhaar- sweet, wistful, nostalgic would be my choice of words to describe. Since I mostly like offstream cinemas better, I loved this one. But this isn't purely an art movie. Its got beautiful songs. The theme is something that could happen to any one of us. Biju Menon & Samyuktha won the best pair as well as best actor awards for this movie. This again is a movie by Dir Kamal. I think u'll love this. This is one of my all time favourites.

Aanaval mothiram- is a comedy/action mix. Sreenivasan & Suresh Gopi combine in this film to give you a taste of both ends of the spectrum. I love Sreeni's tactics. So, I enjoyed this one. Average Rating.

Iruvattom Manavatti- In my opinion, this is one of the most BORING movies I've ever seen. Except for Kavya's good looks, this isn't worth wasting your time.

I've not seen the rest.

Thanks again Niranjana.

Like you, I am also keen to see some good offstream movies.
Since you are busy these days finding such movies and watching
them, please do let me know of the movies you watch and
your opinions on the same.

Niranjana
19th June 2005, 12:23 PM
You are welcome, boss!

I watched "salperu Ramankutty" y'day. I liked it. The entire crew has done a wonderful job. Lalu Alex is sooooo good! Everyone's done theoir bit very well.

Niranjana
19th June 2005, 12:25 PM
Suthradharan is a welcoming respite from the trend of present day films with loose scripts and substandard comedy. On the contrary, this film throws light into the lives of ordinary people and how they cope with daily pressures.

Rameshan (Dilip) is the only hope of his family that consists of two sisters, a jobless father and grandmother and he shoulders the responsibility of his family at a fairly young age. He learns homeopathy from home and becomes a self-taught doctor. A jack of all trades, he also sells home-made pickles and pappads. When Sadanandan (Kalabhavan Mani), the local gunda attacks his sister, Rameshan stabs him and escapes to Pandavapuram in search of his friend Leela Krishnan (Salim Kumar). A series of funny events follow while Rameshan frantically goes about in search of his friend, whom he had cured of jaundice. To his surprise, he finds that his friend makes a livelihood by playing a eunuch.

As luck would have it, Rameshan lands himself at Devuma's (Bindu Panickar) brothel, where he meets the chaste and innocent Shivani (Meera Jasmine). Shivani, untouched and pure, falls in love with the first man she has seen. With Devuma's help, Rameshan sets up a clinic of his own and he finds himself falling deeper and deeper in love with Shivani. Ranima (Chithra), Shivan's foster mother, wants him to marry Shivani. But with the arrival of Bharathi, Devuma's guru in this field, things take a drastic twist and in the end, the lovers unite, after overcoming several barriers.

Meera Jasmine, a new find, is pretty and looks promising. Dilip, as an upcoming actor of the present generation, gets better film after film. Bindu Panickar has done a neat job of her role and is truly outstanding in the movie.

The music by Ravindran is pleasant enough. Lohith Das, the master storyteller saves the face of the sinking Malayalam industry. The art direction and photography are beautiful. On the whole, Suthradharan has everything an audience looks forward to - music, dance, a well-defined plot, spice, good humour and a happy ending. A good movie in recent times.

This review of mine was published in a website some time back. Thought this wud be helpful for you.

Niranjana
19th June 2005, 12:27 PM
It's as thrilling as the first showers of monsoon, as beautiful as first love, as nostalgic as happy childhood days. Yes, Megh Malhaar by ace director Kamal is all this and much more. A quiet and tranquil love story with no larger than life villains or stunt scenes or any of the usual masala.

It is sheer co-incidence that Adv. Rajeev meets the young and brilliant writer, Nandita Menon. And it is later that he recognizes her as a writer, after reading her short story Megh Malhaar in the esteemed Malayalam publication, Mathrubhumi Aazhchapathippu. And from then on begins a kind of admiration on Rajeev's part.

As fate would have it, they keep running into each other at various places, also finding out that some of their interests and likes are similar. It is on a journey to interview a celebrity that Nandita learns who Rajeev really is - her long-lost, childhood friend. And in her heart, she bears this secret, lovingly, nostalgically.

When Rajeev confesses his 'liking', Nandita is shocked that she must've conveyed the wrong message. And when, finally, she tells Rajeev who she really is, the twosome feels drawn towards each other. But, now, it is too late for a union as both are married with families of their own and a closed society to fear. They promise each other that they'll never meet each other again, looking at the sad beauty of the setting sun at Kanyakumari.

And when they do meet again, what happens?

The story, originally by Dr. Iqbal and Akbar Kakkattil turns into an unforgettable one in Kamal's experienced hands. The lyrics by famous Malayalam poet O.N.V Kuruppu and music by Ramesh Narayanan are enchanting.

Nostalgic memories and childhood reminiscences sweep by as the film unfolds and the appreciative audience feels a little heavy in the heart. A wistful beauty and undefined sorrow embraces the movie and the characters.

Sweet and beautiful would be my choice of words to describe Megh Malhaar.

Niranjana
19th June 2005, 12:29 PM
"Why then, me thinks it's time to smile again!" Said the jovial Viola in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. And by what she has said, I think, it's time we all smiled or rather laughed heartily, seeing Rajasenan's latest film, Malayali Mammanu Vanakkam.

Kuttan (Jayaram) and Revathy (Suja Karthika) disappear for a while on their engagement day and cause a little confusion and worry. Kuttan's mother (Sri Vidya) expresses a strong desire to see her daughter, whom she hasn't seen for the past 20 years. Inorder to bring his sister for his wedding, Kuttan and Keshumamman (Jagathy) sets forth to Tamil Nadu. Kuttan's sister, who is considered an outcast in the family, is actually an innocent woman who had to elope with a Tamilian because of her sadist husband.

Kuttan and Keshumamman, in their search for the former's elder sister, encounter a couple of hilarious situations. And as luck would have it, they land themselves at Tirupathi Perumal's (Kuttan's brother-in-law) house. Kuttan's niece, Parvathy (Roja) falls in love with her uncle (it is customary among Tamilians to marry their uncles) and chases him round the clock. Perumal (Kalabhavan Mani) has already decided to marry her off to his nephew, Kannaiya (Prabhu), who is a well- known rowdy in the area. Parvathy goes with Kuttan to Kerala, as per her mother's decision. Perumal tells Kannaiya that he will consent to the wedding of Parvathy and Kanaiya, only if the latter goes and cuts off Kuttan's leg to avenge for what his father-in-law had done to him, long ago.

Kannaiya sets of to Kerala and series of events comes up, thus bonding the friendship between Kannaiya and Kuttan. Her maternal relatives advice Parvathy that to marry an uncle is wrong. And overnight, she falls in love with Kannaiya, of course, being brainwashed by Kuttamamma several times. The weddings of Kuttan and Revathy and Kannaiya and Parvathy are arranged.

Perumal comes for the twin weddings, with his passion for revenge stronger than ever and creates a scene at the wedding, giving a twist to the climax. And finally gives in before tears and pleas and decides to forget burning memories of a distant past and forgives all and seeks forgiveness himself.

An entertainer by Rajasenan has never failed to make the audience laugh, though 2 of his previous movies didn't really make a mark. Malayali Mammanu Vanakkam is humorous, lively and entertaining. The music and dance are peppy, playful and in Tamil style.

I would say that the most outstanding in the star cast is none other than the versatile Kalabhavan Mani as Tirupathi Perumal. Mani portrays an innocent Tamilian, whose leg was cut off only because he tried to save a poor woman. This painful incident turns him into a sadist and a lover of violence and revenge. Mani is natural and brilliant in his acting. Chubby, cuddly Prabhu and Roja are cute pair. Jayaram is good enough.

On the whole, Malayali Mammanu Vanakkam is a lovely film.

Niranjana
19th June 2005, 12:31 PM
[tscii:511f9d0d66]Dileep is practicing the Midas Touch! Yes, all his recent movies have become mega hits by now, the latest being Meesa Madhavan and now, Kunhi Koonan.

Kunjan (Dileep), as he is popularly called is a poor little hunchback who runs a Telephone Booth. A jolly, easy-go-lucky fellow who hides all his sorrow within and portrays a comical figure, laughing at himself and about his hunchback.

Prasad (Dileep again, but has no relation with Kunjan), the son of a constable (Nedumudi Venu) is in love with Lakshmi (Manya), the daughter of a Circle Inspector (Sphadikam George). Unfortunately, Lakshmi dies accidentally while they were eloping. Vasu (Sai Kumar), a local gunda bullies her and she falls off a cliff.

Meanwhile, Kunjan meets Chembakam (Navya Nair), a poor blind girl, whose father is a street performer. When her father dies, Umma (Bindu Panicker) Thoma Chettan (Kochin Haneefa) and Kunjan takes o the responsibility of protecting her. Somewhere along the line, Kunjan and Chembakam fall in love. Kunjan arranges for her eye operation. He is also scared if Chembakam regains her eyesight, she will not like his handicapped form.

When Prasad learns that it is Lakshmi's eyes that have been donated to Chembakam, he develops a kind of obsession for her. Finally, after much twists and turns, Kunjan and Chembakam are happily married. Prasad kills Vasu and is arrested.

All's well that ends well.

Dileep in twin roles is definitely amazing especially as the handicapped Kunjan who calls himself Vimal Kumar. The make-up by Pattanam Rashid, who magically transformed the smart looking Dileep into the pathetic hunchback is superb. The direction is by Sasi Shankar. The lyrics by Yousef Ali Kecheri and the music by Mohan Sitara is good especially the songs 'Kunhante Penninne' and 'Kadanna Chandanamo'. On the whole, your heart goes out to the poor little hunchback.

Either it is the handicapped or it is larger-than-life films by Mohanlal that seem to dominate present Malayalam filmdom. When will ordinary people ever come back to Malayalam cinema? Let's wait and see…

[/tscii:511f9d0d66]

Girish11
19th June 2005, 01:39 PM
Suthradharan is a welcoming respite from the trend of present day films with loose scripts and substandard comedy. On the contrary, this film throws light into the lives of ordinary people and how they cope with daily pressures.

Rameshan (Dilip) is the only hope of his family that consists of two sisters, a jobless father and grandmother and he shoulders the responsibility of his family at a fairly young age. He learns homeopathy from home and becomes a self-taught doctor. A jack of all trades, he also sells home-made pickles and pappads. When Sadanandan (Kalabhavan Mani), the local gunda attacks his sister, Rameshan stabs him and escapes to Pandavapuram in search of his friend Leela Krishnan (Salim Kumar). A series of funny events follow while Rameshan frantically goes about in search of his friend, whom he had cured of jaundice. To his surprise, he finds that his friend makes a livelihood by playing a eunuch.

As luck would have it, Rameshan lands himself at Devuma's (Bindu Panickar) brothel, where he meets the chaste and innocent Shivani (Meera Jasmine). Shivani, untouched and pure, falls in love with the first man she has seen. With Devuma's help, Rameshan sets up a clinic of his own and he finds himself falling deeper and deeper in love with Shivani. Ranima (Chithra), Shivan's foster mother, wants him to marry Shivani. But with the arrival of Bharathi, Devuma's guru in this field, things take a drastic twist and in the end, the lovers unite, after overcoming several barriers.

Meera Jasmine, a new find, is pretty and looks promising. Dilip, as an upcoming actor of the present generation, gets better film after film. Bindu Panickar has done a neat job of her role and is truly outstanding in the movie.

The music by Ravindran is pleasant enough. Lohith Das, the master storyteller saves the face of the sinking Malayalam industry. The art direction and photography are beautiful. On the whole, Suthradharan has everything an audience looks forward to - music, dance, a well-defined plot, spice, good humour and a happy ending. A good movie in recent times.

This review of mine was published in a website some time back. Thought this wud be helpful for you.

Definately it will help. Thanks.

Actually, I have still not started watching teh movies that I have
recently collected, i.e Malayalam. I have collected approx 40
movies so far and still collecting more. Shall start watching
them slowly after some time after I recollect a little bit of
forgotten Malayalam :)

Girish11
19th June 2005, 01:40 PM
[tscii:3c129fd73d]Dileep is practicing the Midas Touch! Yes, all his recent movies have become mega hits by now, the latest being Meesa Madhavan and now, Kunhi Koonan.

Kunjan (Dileep), as he is popularly called is a poor little hunchback who runs a Telephone Booth. A jolly, easy-go-lucky fellow who hides all his sorrow within and portrays a comical figure, laughing at himself and about his hunchback.

Prasad (Dileep again, but has no relation with Kunjan), the son of a constable (Nedumudi Venu) is in love with Lakshmi (Manya), the daughter of a Circle Inspector (Sphadikam George). Unfortunately, Lakshmi dies accidentally while they were eloping. Vasu (Sai Kumar), a local gunda bullies her and she falls off a cliff.

Meanwhile, Kunjan meets Chembakam (Navya Nair), a poor blind girl, whose father is a street performer. When her father dies, Umma (Bindu Panicker) Thoma Chettan (Kochin Haneefa) and Kunjan takes o the responsibility of protecting her. Somewhere along the line, Kunjan and Chembakam fall in love. Kunjan arranges for her eye operation. He is also scared if Chembakam regains her eyesight, she will not like his handicapped form.

When Prasad learns that it is Lakshmi's eyes that have been donated to Chembakam, he develops a kind of obsession for her. Finally, after much twists and turns, Kunjan and Chembakam are happily married. Prasad kills Vasu and is arrested.

All's well that ends well.

Dileep in twin roles is definitely amazing especially as the handicapped Kunjan who calls himself Vimal Kumar. The make-up by Pattanam Rashid, who magically transformed the smart looking Dileep into the pathetic hunchback is superb. The direction is by Sasi Shankar. The lyrics by Yousef Ali Kecheri and the music by Mohan Sitara is good especially the songs 'Kunhante Penninne' and 'Kadanna Chandanamo'. On the whole, your heart goes out to the poor little hunchback.

Either it is the handicapped or it is larger-than-life films by Mohanlal that seem to dominate present Malayalam filmdom. When will ordinary people ever come back to Malayalam cinema? Let's wait and see…

[/tscii:3c129fd73d]

Saw this movie recently in Tamil, its called "Perazhagan", Surya
has acted in the Tamil version. Wonder which one is the original
and which one is the remake.

Alien
19th June 2005, 01:52 PM
Malayalam one is the original, Peralagan is the remake of that with the original director

Niranjana
21st June 2005, 05:22 AM
I would also reccomend "Boeing Boeing" and "Mazha payinnu Madhalam Kottunnu" for 3 hrs of laughter, confusion & fun

Niranjana
21st June 2005, 10:35 PM
Is a touching movie about an illegitimate son. Lal shimmers in Double Role! I'm not sure you 'll like it........because I wasn't happy watching it.........But the story is kind of diff.

Niranjana
21st June 2005, 10:37 PM
I loved Kamaladalam, for the interesting star cast & its artistic quality. Its a Dance oriented movie. As usual, the flexible lal, portrays the character of a Dance Master very well.

Niranjana
21st June 2005, 10:39 PM
Aye Auto- Seen it? Another nice Lal movie

Niranjana
21st June 2005, 10:42 PM
Nakhashatangal was the movie which won (late) Monisha her National Award. I am not sure if she really deserved it. But the movie on the whole, takes u back to a time of teenage crushes etc..lol! The songs are awesome . So is the picturisation.

Niranjana
21st June 2005, 10:44 PM
Well, Manichitrataazhu, except for the excellent star cast & direction (Fazil), doesn't really explain "Dual Personality " all that well. If u have read "Tell me your deams", you'll know .
But alltogether, a nice pic.

Niranjana
21st June 2005, 10:47 PM
Is one of my all time favourite movies. A class film by Fazil. The song "Nettiyil poovulla.........." will remain in your heart forever. Mammootty & Suhasini (w/o Mani Ratnam) make an excellent pair.

Niranjana
21st June 2005, 10:49 PM
Ulladakkam is a movie that showcases Lal's inimitable range of roles! Amala (w/o Nagarjuna) does her best as a mental pateient. Nice.

Niranjana
21st June 2005, 10:51 PM
Njan Gandharvan brought back to malayalam Cinema, a touch of surrealism, which was presented so well, by ace dir Padmarajan. Nidhish Bharadwaj ( Krishna in Mahabharat) handles his role really well- that of a lone Gandharva who has descended from the Heavens! Mythical, yet touching.

Niranjana
21st June 2005, 10:53 PM
Seen Vaishali? This is one movie that was a SUPERHIT without SUPERSTARS! A visual & audio fiesta!

Alien
22nd June 2005, 06:03 PM
Is one of my all time favourite movies. A class film by Fazil. The song "Nettiyil poovulla.........." will remain in your heart forever. Mammootty & Suhasini (w/o Mani Ratnam) make an excellent pair.

Whats the movie name?? :?

Niranjana
22nd June 2005, 08:15 PM
See the full view.
The movie name is "Manimathoorile Aayiram Shivaratrigal"

Girish11
27th June 2005, 08:30 AM
Is a touching movie about an illegitimate son. Lal shimmers in Double Role! I'm not sure you 'll like it........because I wasn't happy watching it.........But the story is kind of diff.

Niranjana

What is the name of this movie?

Niranjana
27th June 2005, 08:27 PM
"Padamudra", Girish.

Girish11
27th June 2005, 11:08 PM
"Padamudra", Girish.

Thanks Niranjana

BTW seen any of the following movies? Any comments?

Valyettan
Mazhathulli Kikukkam
Snehidan
Carnival

RATHEESHAJITH
9th July 2005, 12:14 PM
NAATTURAJAVU IS A FANTASTIC MOVIE

nilavupriyan
9th July 2005, 12:36 PM
SANMANASULLARKKU SAMADHANAM IS A NICE MOVIE.
IM A TAMILIAN.BUT HAVE WATCHED MAMMOOTY AND LAL FILMS A BIT.
JEYARAM MOVIES ARE ALSO GOOD

unni
15th July 2005, 10:05 AM
was natturajavu the movie with lalettan saying the line: ninaku onnum ariyilla karanam nee oru kutty annu"??? wasn't that his last movie as the larger than life nayakan? have you seen his latest like udayan anu tharam? if you are really looking for a great collection of malayalam movies..try:

the CBI trilogy:
( diary kurippu, jagradha,sethuram iyer)

dileep new milennia hits:
(meesha madhavan, kunji koonan, CID moosa, Kochirajavu)

Naadodikattu is a classic comedy movie with sreenivasan and lalettan

Golden Oldies:
Godfather (my all time favorite malayalam movie)
Manichitrathazhu ( first successful malayalam horror movie)
Yodha

list goes on...can anyone tell me the name of the malayalam movie tamil star Vikram acted in?

pradheep
20th January 2006, 08:41 PM
Dear friends

please read my review on nizhalkuthu and let me know your thoughts about it. here is the link for it.

http://matrixjourney.com/shadow.htm

kannannn
21st January 2006, 01:20 AM
Dear friends

please read my review on nizhalkuthu and let me know your thoughts about it. here is the link for it.

http://matrixjourney.com/shadow.htm

A well written review Pradheep. I think 'Nizhalkuthu' along with 'Elipatheyam' are the best among Adoor's movies. The discussion between two villagers on whom the sin of killing the man rests still haunts me. The final moments of the movie when again the message to spare the convict arrives late was the highlight.

pradheep
21st January 2006, 06:27 AM
thanks kannannn
where can i get adoors movies (vcd or video or dvd?)

kannannn
21st January 2006, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure Pradheep, because I watched his films when I was in India. But try giving a search on Google. you can also try this site: http://firstrunfeatures.com/ they have some good collections. they also have nizhalkuthu.

Malayalathaan
12th May 2006, 07:56 AM
Watch Mammooty's "RAJAMANICKAM", biggest in Kerala ever! That was a good movie.

It is going to be remade in Tamil and Telugu.